Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 15, 2008 10:15 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

;_; Why is it over~?

Very great final episode, I loved how they re-introduced every character again as Sora drew them.

Kuga-senpai doing the hidden elevator was awesome, she always cracks me up. And yay for Sora being able to shout her friends names and introduce herself, she's grown, too. :D

I loved this anime, whatever happened around me was forgotten and I could relax during the episodes. The jokes were hilarious and the art was very nice as well. I'm thinking whether it would deserve a 10, but for now it's superb 9/10.

Now everyone, hug the tree!! xD

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 15, 2008 11:48 AM

Dec 2007
(hugs the tree) xD

I cried a little at the end of the episode because it was over. Solid 9/10 for the series, which never failed to put a smile on my face.
Feb 15, 2008 2:11 PM

Oct 2007
*hugs tree*

8/10 overall ,though really,the last 4-5 episode were a 10/10 to me,trully brilliant,if this gets licenced (hey, if ryou and fuu show up in class anything can hapen lol) i'd get the dvds.

i too droped a tear when sora introduced herself,i can't describe what i felt.....it was just pure intense emotion.It's as if all the show had been one huge buildup for that one last line.
all for fun.fun for all
Feb 15, 2008 2:18 PM

Oct 2007
i'd give it about a 7.5-8. the ending wasn't bad, but i kind of didn't like it. Really relaxing though.

WTF at the end? Akari shaking Sora's hand? o.o
Feb 15, 2008 3:39 PM

Jan 2007
That was such a wonderul episode. Perfect way to end the series. And yay for that last images with Akari.

Overall: 9/10
Feb 15, 2008 4:23 PM

Oct 2007
I wasn't feeling this show too much at first. After the cats and then Kate I found myself enjoying it more. I think the ending was perfect. I am glad Sora grew as a character. At first I didn't really like her but after watching this episode and seeing her progress, like the sakura, leaves me a little warmer inside. I'm glad I stuck this one out overall.

If we got 80% or higher let me know! :)
Feb 15, 2008 7:09 PM

Sep 2007
Watching this series make me give me this warm and fuzzy feeling inside. I got to say that it is difficult to let this anime go. Second season? Come on Hal! You know you wanna do it!

9/10
Feb 15, 2008 7:29 PM

Jan 2008
Even though it was such a great conclusion, something inside me doesn't want it to go. Sora was so cute this episode, especially when she blushed because she was praised and the whole ending sequence. Where am I going to find another series that will put me into such a serene state as this one could, wait... Aria the Origination is still airing. *goes to watch episode 5*
Feb 15, 2008 10:19 PM
Nov 2007
I'm going to miss this series and hope they may do a second season some day. :(
Feb 15, 2008 10:53 PM

Feb 2007
In my mind, this was easily the best Slice-Of-Life anime in 2007. What a nice finale to cap off a relaxing yet hilarious show.

After Episode 3, I was in love with this anime. I can't get enough of Kate and Aso. I've also grown to love Sora and Hazuki as well in the second half of the show.

It's official. I need to marathon through ARIA ASAP.

Score: 9/10. Tempted to give 10, but it doesn't recreate the genre and/or amazed me so much that I cry (which is rare).
BlueYoshiFeb 15, 2008 10:56 PM
Feb 15, 2008 11:07 PM

Nov 2007
A quiet ending to a quiet show; it's perfect.

I thought about how easy anime characters have it in the art club. I assume they see in 2D like we see the world in 2D on the screen, so when they draw each other, it's a piece of cake! Portraits look exactly like the person depicted because there's no 3D to mess up on. :P

And I'm happy for Sora to be able to speak up and speak out at the end like that.
Feb 16, 2008 1:52 AM

Sep 2007
~ ~ I don't want this show to be over!! :( ~ ~

The show is so wonderful and calming, I wish there were more like that ...
And Sora was so kawaii when she (partially) broke away from her shyness but then hides behind her sketchbook again :P ---> just like the pic from the first post

Feb 16, 2008 2:17 AM

Jul 2007
Faust721 said:
That was such a wonderul episode. Perfect way to end the series.

Couldn't have said it better, the ending was so very perfect for this show. Also, the tree hugging stuff was hilarious. >_<

Slice of Life masterpiece, 9/10 from me.
Feb 16, 2008 7:43 AM
Jun 2007
The last episode couldn't have been better.
;_; I'm gonna miss this series...
9/10
Feb 17, 2008 8:10 AM

Jan 2008
Reading all of your posts is almost as good as watching this finale. It's obvious that we were all entertained by this warm and touching anime. In the visual arts, Serenity is not an easy emotion to convey. Much easier to shock and awe.

I really loved watching sketchbook. Enough to watch the whole 6 hours over again. I think this was one of those programs that we get to take a little bit with us through our daily lives.

Spoonsubs splashpage of Sora and Akari was very fitting. sodesune?
Feb 17, 2008 4:48 PM

Jul 2006
OMG <3 that image at the end!!!

VVVVVVV

<3 slice of life anime, sooo relaxing, Makes you wish that the show would never end...
Feb 22, 2008 9:44 PM
Oct 2007
:D

A great ending to a great show.

9/10.

Feb 23, 2008 11:01 PM

Feb 2008
too bad a true crossover between the series is impossible
Feb 24, 2008 1:37 PM

Jul 2006
jacobpaige said:
too bad a true crossover between the series is impossible

time travel!
Feb 29, 2008 8:10 AM

Nov 2007
2nd season please.

*hugs tree*
Mar 3, 2008 6:13 AM
Aug 2007
decent ending to a decent show. I'm glad I watched this series.
Mar 7, 2008 4:36 PM

May 2007
finally completed this. o:
Mar 7, 2008 8:13 PM

Sep 2007
rofl I love Negishi-kun. His total in-need-of-anger-management personality is just hilarious to watch, especially when he was cheering on the sakura tree xD

Oh Sora :3

Overall: 9/10 - but I feel like I might up the rating later. Upped it to a 9 already. Giving it an 8 just didn't sit right with me :P
IriyaMar 7, 2008 8:24 PM
Aug 14, 2008 2:57 AM

Jan 2008
Vertago said:
OMG <3 that image at the end!!!

VVVVVVV

<3 slice of life anime, sooo relaxing, Makes you wish that the show would never end...
I LOVE THAT IMAGE!!

This episode was beautiful, Sora finally introduced herself > <!!!

Overall 9/10.
Sep 22, 2009 12:06 PM

Aug 2008
This is definitely one of the most relaxing shows I've ever seen. It was a bit slow in some areas, but for the most part, it was gentle, relaxing with some occasional humor (the cats). 9/10 from me.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Sep 30, 2009 7:55 PM

Sep 2009
Holy gosh. What in my right mind made me put off watching this series for so long? It was just amazing!

I smiled real wide when Sora was able to call out to her friends, and pretty much made a happy squeal when she introduced herself on her own finally. The way her friends reacted was proof that they were just as shocked as we were!

Love this entire show so much. 9/10
-
Feb 19, 2010 12:23 PM

Aug 2009
This is the best slice of life. I wish I knew to watch it when it was still airing, that would have been fun.
Jul 6, 2010 7:43 PM

Jan 2009
No! Why is this over! T.T Truly 9/10.

Love the crossover at the end! xD Lol xD
Jul 19, 2010 11:24 AM

Aug 2009
Great ending, I'll miss this for sure
9/10

Time to get started on Aria
Aug 26, 2010 2:18 PM

Jul 2010
Aug 29, 2010 3:10 AM
Dec 2008
There was something ever-so-slightly melancholic about this last episode. Sora's realisation that everything is transient was sad but beautiful. A wonderful end to this series.

I really wish there could be more, but I know that this show had a small audience, so a second series is unlikely. I guess I'll have to settle for reading the manga instead. I'm giving it 8/10 for the series, but the last three episodes deserved a much higher 9.5/10.
Jan 25, 2011 3:14 PM
May 2010
I really couldn't agree more with most that's been said here. This ending wasn't the best one ever, but it really was a close to perfect in my opinion as it could be. What a great episode - 10/10.

The series itself was also excellent, and sure its high and lows, but for the most part it was very relaxing, cute, moe and enjoyable. It was a great watch - 9/10 the show gets from me. If I were to describe it in one word.. solid.
Mar 4, 2011 9:11 PM
Jun 2010
Here to chime in my own love for the series. What a great, underrated show. I hope more people will watch it.
Apr 28, 2012 10:54 AM
Jan 2012
Is it just me or at 24:26 (at the very end) A photo was shown of Akari shaking hands with Sora?

LOL
Amano Kozue sure has changed the life of everyone didnt she?
FynbelleSinclairApr 28, 2012 2:10 PM
Nov 9, 2012 10:53 AM

Sep 2012
OK. Time to read the manga.
Aug 19, 2013 11:20 PM

Aug 2010
Sora managed to introduce herself! Such a heartwarming scene, not to mention that beforehand, she called out to her friends. She really has grown, good for her. Nice finishing episode, loved the concept, the execution and the drawing of everyone. 5/5.

I really enjoyed this show, I especially loved the characters, there was probably nobody I disliked. 8/10.
Dec 29, 2013 3:08 PM

Jul 2009
Ah, first of all, I LOVED this episode! Nice cherry blossoms ... poor Negishi eh XD Having to do all that screaming and yelling :P
Really nice how every character had a quick "re-introduction" by Sora as she drew them and they came in. That really IS a lovely drawing ... and watercolours too! Yeah, she doesn't do that often does she? Ah, I wish I was as skilled as you Sora :P
Great moment at the end when Sora called out to her friends and introduced herself. She's sure changed, hasn't she? D'aawww :') Great and relaxing ending as well :3

Overall I really enjoyed this and I'm glad I took the time to download and (half re-) watch it! :P Really loved all the characters and the animation and music were AMAZING. Seriously, I'm tempted to dig up a couple of piano scores to play XD Plus it was really fun and relaxing to watch. I wish I could give this a 8.5, but since I can't I'm gonna have to give it 8/10
Aug 13, 2014 2:08 AM

Aug 2013
Hurray! Hurray! Sakura! LOL!

Mystery senpai! I immediately spotted her in the library with Kate and the president. If she wasn't introduced as an arts club member, I'd totally just treat her as a mob character. Maybe I should go back to other episodes to check if she's really there :o

Good finale. Sora's description of her friends, while painting, was well done. I was also glad to see Kuga's elevator one last time *sniff*

8/10. Started out a little slow but definitely earned a place in my SoL-loving heart.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 20, 2016 9:41 PM

May 2012
I liked the aria cross over art at the end :P
Nov 25, 2016 2:00 PM

Jun 2013
I love how Sora stayed after everyone left to watch the cherry blossoms on her own, to take it all in and cherish the moment. Moments like this really make this a standout series.

I really liked all of the characters in this series, and I related especially with Sora. I think everyone can learn something from how she appreciate the little moments in life.

Sora introducing herself at the end was also a surprisingly strong moment too!
Dec 8, 2016 9:50 AM

Sep 2014
Well that was a Nice Ending. The Episode was good as usual.
Honestly, I never thought I would enjoy this anime so much. The atmosphere and the pace of this anime fits perfectly. The characters were amazing, each one of them was interesting in their own way (especially Tanabe-senpai & Himuro-senpai). I was'nt expecting much from this anime at first but in the end I'm glad I picked this Anime. ^-^
Apr 22, 2018 11:13 PM

Jul 2011
Not bad at all, IMO Sketchbook were somewhat better than GA anime I've watched earlier. Characters were more interesting and some random funny moments (not much as on GA), and not too much arts in general, this were more based on sketching, very calm and relaxing.

8/10
GaichiApr 23, 2018 4:49 AM

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Sep 11, 2018 8:06 AM
Nov 2015
There are 2 studios which always take me by surprise. Hal Film Maker and DEEN. their shows are usually ugly, but the stories are always phenomenal and really to my tastes. Hal produced Princess Tutu, Aria (which is essentially the greatest slice of life), Skip Beat (my second favorite rom-com after Kare Kano) and now I discover this sweet little anime.
Studio DEEN sometimes too produce gorgeous looking shows like Kenshin movie and Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, but even their ugly-ass animes are phenomenal. Ranma 1/2 is actually the biggest favorite, and Simoun, Maison Ikkoku, Hoozuki 2nd season rock!

DEEN is still going strong, but too bad Hal was closed and merged into a successor studio, which don't really produce quality work as before.
Sean_NessmanSep 11, 2018 8:09 AM
Feb 19, 2019 10:31 AM

Mar 2016
Re-watched:
A quite beautiful final episode. Sitting here a little misty-eyed. Enjoyed this immensely, much more than my first watch.

A wonderful slice of life by Hal Film Maker not directed by Satou Junichi. Probably for the better honestly as this was handled with a lot of care.
Oct 27, 2021 2:19 PM

Feb 2020
Nice and touching finale.

Overall, this was a good and relaxing anime. Like a mixture of Tamayura, Aria, Hidamari Sketch, and Azumanga Daioh.

SerafosOct 24, 2022 4:07 AM
Sep 10, 2022 9:59 PM

Jan 2010
The sound of a wooden easel getting moved across the floor. The shuffling of shoes and the rustling of a school bag. Brushes clacking into each other. The turning of a paint tube cap. A pencil sketching rough outlines of an art class.

Sketchbook's last episode primarily features Sora sketching her classmates. It's a scene where Sora, as an anime character, is drawn drawing her classmates, becoming a picture within a picture. However, she adds her own interpretation to the photograph she's working from, adding other people and creatures in her life. It's a quaint scene upon many other quaint scenes in the anime, but one with a great amount of nostalgia. It acknowledges that days don't last forever, but the places around the characters will have traces of their actions and memories.

The students will graduate, the classroom might get repurposed, the teachers may move on, and as the years go by, the school building too might change. But, at least until that ultimate end, there will be splotches of paint on the floor, the scratch marks of chairs in particular arrangements, and apparently the smell of moldy bread to remain until then. Also, these changes won't happen all at once, nor will they necessarily happen at all, much like that cherry tree growing at its own pace.

Sketchbook is a pretty magical anime, despite being mundane and ordinary. It takes a slow, passive approach in observing the minor changes in daily life. It doesn't pay attention to everything, as of course, there's so much going on. Yet, at the same time, not everything happening in daily life is of great importance, and much of it is forgotten by the next day. For the anime, it decides to use art as a means to capture daily life through the eyes of its characters, highlighting what each of them find important at the time they create their drawings. These can range from scenic views of a sunset, various people in the lives, plants and foliage, cats lazing about, seasonal insects, still life portraits of a chicken, abstract representations of the mind, or the silliest visual puns the characters can think of.

Between the bubbly character designs, the detailed sound design, the wonderful piano and acoustic guitar OST, and the quaint little world presented through the anime, Sketchbook is definitely one of the best slice of life shows I've seen. After four years, I'm glad I finally managed to finish it.
Jan 2, 2023 12:08 PM

Aug 2018
Ah, so that's where I saw the cat on top of bowling building.. It was from Aria.. ;P
It was a nice anime.. At times relaxing, thought provoking, depressing, sweet, beautiful.. The topics touched, the aesthetics of both art and music, the characters, hearing thoughts of Sora on many things.. Lots of enjoyable stuff..
Apr 29, 2023 1:11 PM

Sep 2020
Perfect ending, loved seeing Sora come out of her shell. Awesome painting, too!

The show will be missed, especially the soundtrack. 9/10
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
May 27, 2023 11:53 AM

May 2020
Sora coming out from her shell was a very good way to finish this heartwarming anime. It was like aria, tamayura, non non biyori mix. I will miss it <3

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sketchbook ~full color'S~ Episode 8 Discussion

cyruz - Dec 4, 2007

20 by ProxyLain »»
Dec 21, 2023 9:45 PM

Poll: » Sketchbook ~full color'S~ Episode 11 Discussion

cyruz - Jan 28, 2008

29 by SlammyHammy »»
Apr 29, 2023 1:04 PM

Poll: » Sketchbook ~full color'S~ Episode 9 Discussion

gizm0 - Dec 10, 2007

20 by SlammyHammy »»
Apr 29, 2023 12:58 PM

Poll: » Sketchbook ~full color'S~ Episode 7 Discussion

BlueYoshi - Nov 25, 2007

32 by SlammyHammy »»
Apr 28, 2023 5:43 PM

Poll: » Sketchbook ~full color'S~ Episode 6 Discussion

cyruz - Nov 11, 2007

20 by SlammyHammy »»
Apr 28, 2023 5:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.