Forum Settings
Forums

Coming of age, inspirational romances like Beck/Bakuman

New
Jan 5, 2015 8:05 PM

Apr 2014
Just finished Beck and really loved it. Two of my all time favorite animes are Bakuman and Beck. I love the entire coming of age theme that inspires you to chase your dreams. Also really loved how both the characters were influenced a lot by a girl. I don't care what the anime is about whether it be sports, music, or whatever. I'm just looking for a romantic coming of age story about a kid chasing dreams and the relationship he develops with friends/a girl.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Jan 5, 2015 8:06 PM

Jul 2012
Baby Steps
Hajime no Ippo
Cross Game
Major

The quartet of sports/romance animu :3
Jan 5, 2015 8:09 PM

Jul 2013
Dunno if this exactly fits, but you could try Eureka 7
Eminem meets Clannad
Just when you thought Clannad's OST was as sad as it could get ;_;

If you seen School Days, rewatch the ending while listening to A Little of Piece of Heaven by A7X. I guarantee laughs.
Jan 5, 2015 8:10 PM

Sep 2014
mayukachan said:
Baby Steps
Hajime no Ippo
Cross Game
Major

I totally forgot about Baby Steps. Thanks for reminding me. :D
Jan 5, 2015 8:15 PM

Jun 2013
mayukachan said:
Baby Steps
Hajime no Ippo
Cross Game
Major

There's been no real development for the romance in Hajime no Ippo in over 1050 chapters of the manga/3 seasons of anime. Still a great story though, just weak in the romance department.
Jan 5, 2015 8:17 PM

Sep 2014
FreshPrinceofMAL said:
mayukachan said:
Baby Steps
Hajime no Ippo
Cross Game
Major

There's been no real development for the romance in Hajime no Ippo in over 1050 chapters of the manga/3 seasons of anime. Still a great story though, just weak in the romance department.
Agreed. They did focus a bit of the romance in Champion Road. But yeah, can't really say anything else about it.
Jan 5, 2015 8:38 PM

Apr 2014
how is the romance in Major? It looks pretty good but doesn't have a romance tag. I'v always heard things about Cross Game but im just not a fan of the character models, they look odd. I stiill might try it out though because I'v heard so many good things about it. I'll definitely check out Baby Steps, looks pretty good.
Jan 5, 2015 8:41 PM

Jul 2012
In Major, he actually dates the girl and they get married. But this happens after like four seasons. It's still an amazing ride and definitely fits "coming of age"! :)

Baby Steps is probably the best choice, very modern and the romance is faster.

FreshPrinceofMAL said:
mayukachan said:
Baby Steps
Hajime no Ippo
Cross Game
Major

I know, but OP said "Also really loved how both the characters were influenced a lot by a girl" which is something Ippo did.
Jan 5, 2015 10:03 PM

Apr 2014
Well I'll certainly watch Major now, I always thought it sounded good but always skipped over it because it just seemed like some long sports anime. Knowing that something actually happens with romance and the fact it's so long is a big plus for me. Short animes always leave me a little disappointed because you start liking the characters and just want to watch more of them but then it ends.

Curious, which anime do you guys think is better? Major or Cross Game? I like the art in Major a lot better but if Cross Game is better in other areas than I might start with that. Please no spoilers xD
Jan 5, 2015 10:04 PM

Jul 2012
Oh, right I forgot to mention these:

Sakamichi no Apollon
Honey and Clover
Nodame Cantabile
Uchuu Kyoudai

It's literally tagged as a coming of age (for one of them), and all have developing romance (except Space Brothers). Like prevalent and not just in the background.
Jan 5, 2015 10:14 PM

Feb 2014
+1 Sakamichi no Apollon is amazing coming of age story, this is the anime you are looking for
Jan 5, 2015 10:51 PM

Apr 2014
Sakamichi no Apollon looks really good. I'm going to start with that first and then move onto Baby steps -> Major -> Cross Game.

I tried watching Honey and Clover but thought the comedy was a little over the top and couldn't stand having a super lolli romance interest. Also tried Nodame Cantabile but got bored after a couple episodes, I might revisit it at some point though.

Anyways, I'm starting my winter/spring break now which is 2 months so i'll probably finish these animes really quick. If any one has some other suggestions just let me know :D

Thanks!
Jan 5, 2015 11:59 PM

Feb 2014
Shinsekai Yori is a good fantasy coming of age story, it takes place over two decades following the development of a group of 5 kids. It has romance in it but its never the core focus.
Jan 6, 2015 12:03 AM
Nov 2010
Other than the above-mentioned, the only anime that comes to mind is Chihayafuru.
Jan 6, 2015 12:20 AM

Oct 2014
eplipswich said:
Chihayafuru.
Jan 6, 2015 12:29 AM

Apr 2014
oh yeah, forgot about Chihayafuru! I've wanted to watch that for a while. I'm already on episode 5 of Sakamichi no Apollon. It's pretty good so far.

I watched half of Shinsekai Yori and dropped it, didn't like one of the plot twists near the middle
and thought it was kind of boring anyway. If it picks up a lot i might go back and finish it though.
Feb 3, 2015 1:36 AM

Apr 2014
I finished:

Baby Steps
Cross Game
Major
Sakamichi no Apollon

I started Chihayafuru but didn't like it very much. Also watched half of Eureka Seven but never got into it so I ultimate just dropped it.

I loved Baby Steps, it was my favorite out of all of them. I liked it so much that I even read the rest of the Manga after it. Cross game was alright and Major was pretty good but the last 3-4 seasons felt exactly the same.

Any other suggestions?
Feb 3, 2015 1:41 AM

Jul 2012
How far are you in Chihayafuru? It's pretty slow in the start.

Also:
Tsuritama (no romance)
Ookiku Furikabutte (no romance)
Haikyuu!! (no romance)

fit coming of age. they're all about friendship and that jazz
Feb 3, 2015 2:36 AM
Nov 2010
Perhaps you would like to try out Nana?
eplipswichFeb 3, 2015 2:39 AM
Feb 3, 2015 3:11 AM

Feb 2010
Whisper of the Heart
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 3, 2015 3:56 AM

May 2014
Hanasaku iroha maybe...
Feb 3, 2015 4:31 AM

Jul 2013
PING PONG. Its sogud
Feb 3, 2015 4:34 AM

Jun 2011
It doesn't have romance, but if you're willing to give it a go,

Hikaru no Go.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 3, 2015 7:07 AM

May 2012
Kemono no Sou-ja Erin and Junni Kokuki don't have romance, but they fit your other criteria. Both require patience, though.
Feb 4, 2015 5:32 AM

Jul 2013
ToG25thBaam said:

Hikaru no Go.
I remember watching a bit on toonami jetstreaml what would u compare 2
Feb 4, 2015 7:00 AM

Apr 2014
Tatami Galaxy

FLCL
I am an internet persona!
Feb 4, 2015 8:59 AM

May 2012
JetFury said:
ToG25thBaam said:

Hikaru no Go.

Chihayafuru follows some similar themes as Hikaru like recruiting a group of players in their schools (Go, karuta) and having main characters who wish to reach the top of the professional ranks in their games.
Feb 11, 2015 3:01 PM

Jul 2013
SeijiSensei said:
JetFury said:

Chihayafuru follows some similar themes as Hikaru like recruiting a group of players in their schools (Go, karuta) and having main characters who wish to reach the top of the professional ranks in their games.
ive heard of that series as well! Im thinking of watching it as well....I just hope neither series is something like yugioh/cardfight?

More topics from this board

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - 11 hours ago

4 by Zarutaku »»
13 minutes ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

7 by LoveYourEyes »»
2 hours ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

5 by MeguSae38 »»
3 hours ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

20 by windyshadow »»
5 hours ago

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - Apr 16

9 by AnimeDownUnder »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.