Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 3, 2014 10:55 AM

Jul 2014
Hey guys. This is an idea for a thread I've seen on other forums. I did a search and saw there was nothing here quite like it, so here it goes.

Rules of the Gym Thread:
1. You can post your workout here. This can be a copy pasta of your Fitocracy routine, or it can be you talking about your progress, how your day at the gym went, etc.

2. You can talk about motivation or lack thereof

3. You can ask for advice on weight loss, weight gain, or whatever your goals are really. There is more to working out than getting big!

4. You can post funny gym related videos or impressive stuff like personal records etc

5. No making fun of people who are trying to better themselves. I don't care if you're 600 pounds. If you're taking the step to change, you'll get everyone's respect.

A bit about me. I've been working out consistently for about 6 years. I do it because I think it's therapeutic, and because I like the idea of keeping myself strong. I know a lot and am happy to help anyone with questions.

Overtime, I plan on updating this first post with helpful links.

[b]“To be honest, as this world goes, is to be one man picked out of ten thousand.” - Hamlet [/b]
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 3, 2014 11:00 AM
Jul 2018
I used to go to the gym.
Until I just got bored of it and decided to just workout without using equipment.
removed-userDec 3, 2014 11:09 AM
Dec 3, 2014 11:00 AM

Sep 2012
I did 20 push ups two days ago.

-end log-
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Dec 3, 2014 11:05 AM

Jul 2014
Fiction-S said:
I used to.
Until I just got bored of it and decided to just workout withoit using equipment.

Kudos if you can stay motivated with that. I get too distracted at home to do body weight exercises. When I'm at the gym, I can't watch anime instead of doing what I need to do.

[b]“To be honest, as this world goes, is to be one man picked out of ten thousand.” - Hamlet [/b]
Dec 3, 2014 11:06 AM

May 2014
High Metabolism ftw

Big muscles = Small d*cks.
I've been here way too long...
Dec 3, 2014 11:12 AM
Jul 2018
Right now I want to lose weight.

At least 10 to 20 lbs of winter weight.

And fight my mom's aggresive behavior against me "not eating enough".

And my addiction to bread and sweets.

Kinda hard because of school. I hate school.
Dec 3, 2014 11:16 AM

Jul 2014
Fiction-S said:
Right now I want to lose weight.

At least 10 to 20 lbs of winter weight.

And fight my mom's aggresive behavior against me "not eating enough".

And my addiction to bread and sweets.

Kinda hard because of school. I hate school.

Yeah, winter+ stress= weight gain. My diet has been crap the last two months because I'm too busy to cook good meals, and honestly, when I'm stressed over finals, I don't want a piece of broccoli, I want a Snickers.

Don't be too hard on yourself. You're human, and we all have setbacks. What kind of food does your mom try give you? Unhealthy crap or?

Dec 3, 2014 11:17 AM

Aug 2014
Used to hit the gym daily in college. Nowadays, I just work out with a dumbbell set at home, mainly curls, tricep extensions, shoulder raises, bench presses, and squats. It's gotten so routine that I usually just watch anime while during and in between sets. Saves time on 9 hr work days.
Sieg Zeon!
Dec 3, 2014 11:17 AM

Apr 2012
My daily workout is lifting your mom's fatass onto the kitchen counter.
I've been in a weights class since freshman year and it's done wonders.

My goal is simply to bench 225 pounds by the end of next year.
Dec 3, 2014 11:22 AM

Jul 2014
QuattroVaginas said:
Used to hit the gym daily in college. Nowadays, I just work out with a dumbbell set at home, mainly curls, tricep extensions, shoulder raises, bench presses, and squats. It's gotten so routine that I usually just watch anime while during and in between sets. Saves time on 9 hr work days.

I'd like to get a dumbbell set and squat rack one day, but am way too broke to even consider it now. I have tried to do HIIT while watching anime, but it doesn't work out. Either I get too gassed and can't focus on the anime or I watch the anime too much and don't push myself enough.

DoubleC said:

225 is an impressive ass bench. How much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking? I'm 180 and was peaking at around 250 x2 last winter, but then I hurt my shoulder because I was lifting heavy too often.

Dec 3, 2014 11:54 AM

Nov 2014
I'm way too lazy to go to a gym. I just do 3 sets of 25 push ups and 10 pull ups by hanging off a ledge everyday except on weekends and thats about it.
Dec 3, 2014 1:24 PM

Jul 2014
omeg4 said:
I'm way too lazy to go to a gym. I just do 3 sets of 25 push ups and 10 pull ups by hanging off a ledge everyday except on weekends and thats about it.

Don't neglect your lower body. Throw in some lunges/squats.

Dec 3, 2014 1:28 PM

Sep 2014
Gatsby42 said:
225 is an impressive ass bench. How much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking? I'm 180 and was peaking at around 250 x2 last winter, but then I hurt my shoulder because I was lifting heavy too often.

I go to the gym 5 days a week with my dad who is currently 66. He used to be a body builder for years until he damaged his shoulder and gave up. However, after 5 years I got him back into the gym because I wanted to start lifting myself and he came happily! Now me and him lift daily and he is back into his groove! He has given me such knowledge of the gym and I am so grateful!

His shoulder still gives him a lot of struggle most of the time but he still goes on. For a man his age, he is in such good shape, looks just like he did when he was bodybuilding, he's stacked!

Anyway, myself I love going to the gym. I guess you can say I am somewhat addicted because if I miss a day or two because (only if I really have to) I start to feel like shit. I don't lift crazy heavy because I don't think it is necessary to get big and muscly, but the most I have benched is 90kg (198lbs).

I'm glad to see a post about the gym, and to those who lift - KEEP LIFTING!
Dec 3, 2014 1:29 PM

Apr 2012
Gatsby42 said:

DoubleC said:

160 atm, I'm trying to gain weight ASAP. I currently can bench 165 x1 at most. Big goal, but I think it's plausible.
Dec 3, 2014 1:30 PM

Feb 2013
Gatsby42 said:
225 isn't that hard of a number to hit if you follow a p/p/l program and learn correct benching form from somebody who actually knows their shit.
Dec 3, 2014 1:33 PM

May 2012
I do pushups regularly, about 60(give or take depending on how I feel at the time) once or twice a day.

I want a six pack but I'm not working hard enough for it :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfY_4m3RVRc
Been trying to do this everyday for about 2 weeks (skipped like 3 days I think). I just get too lazy with it.
Dec 3, 2014 7:28 PM

Jul 2014
Touzel said:
Gatsby42 said:

I go to the gym 5 days a week with my dad who is currently 66. He used to be a body builder for years until he damaged his shoulder and gave up. However, after 5 years I got him back into the gym because I wanted to start lifting myself and he came happily! Now me and him lift daily and he is back into his groove! He has given me such knowledge of the gym and I am so grateful!

His shoulder still gives him a lot of struggle most of the time but he still goes on. For a man his age, he is in such good shape, looks just like he did when he was bodybuilding, he's stacked!

Anyway, myself I love going to the gym. I guess you can say I am somewhat addicted because if I miss a day or two because (only if I really have to) I start to feel like shit. I don't lift crazy heavy because I don't think it is necessary to get big and muscly, but the most I have benched is 90kg (198lbs).

I'm glad to see a post about the gym, and to those who lift - KEEP LIFTING!

It sounds like we're in a pretty similar place. When my shoulder is 100% and I've made sure I've built good stability, I might go back to lifting heavy once a month or something. Right now though, I'm happy just going for reps. Doing so has made me a lot leaner than I ever was lifting heavy, my vascularity has been getting insane.

Pretty awesome about you and your dad. Seems like a pretty awesome guy. I hope I'm still lifting when I'm 66. You should keep checking up on this thread, shoot the shit!

DoubleC said:
Gatsby42 said:

160 atm, I'm trying to gain weight ASAP. I currently can bench 165 x1 at most. Big goal, but I think it's plausible.

Pending on how old you are, maybe. If I can give you a piece of advice, it's to not get caught up on a number. It's great if you can do 225, but it's better to get there naturally and with good form, at a steady pace that is kinder to your joints. At the end of the day, it's way more admirable to be doing your body weight for reps than it is to shoot your anus out barely pushing 225.
TyrelDec 3, 2014 11:12 PM

Dec 3, 2014 7:34 PM

Jan 2014
As soon as motivation finds me, or I find motivation, I plan to run regularly. Currently though, a few sets of 20 situps, 20 pushups, and 20 curls (10lb) and long walks are my 'workouts'.
I can't wait to get back home this winter break. There are some really good dirt trails for biking, about 20mi round trip.
Edit: Are there any other routines you can do in your room?
ChelateDec 3, 2014 7:37 PM
Dec 3, 2014 7:41 PM

Mar 2008
If I had weights at home I would use them but I dont bother with gyms since its too far. I wish I knew how much I could bench press though just so I could know how strong or weak I am. Although I seem to be strong some muscles and weak others.
Dec 3, 2014 7:42 PM

Jan 2014
Last week of class so I should have a four week hiatus from school, it's amazing how much damage school does to the body. I haven't had a decent break since last winters break so i've lossed a lot of my strength. So during those few weeks off I'd like to try and get back normal and even stronger if possible.

My goals

Bench:225

Squat:405

I'm currently 130ish right now, so hopefully I can stay under 136
Dec 3, 2014 7:44 PM

Dec 2013
I peeked at 225lb from the bench when I was 15 or 16, but then I quit going to the gym because I found it to be pretty pointless (to me).
Dec 3, 2014 7:49 PM

Jul 2014
Chelate said:
As soon as motivation finds me, or I find motivation, I plan to run regularly. Currently though, a few sets of 20 situps, 20 pushups, and 20 curls (10lb) and long walks are my 'workouts'.
I can't wait to get back home this winter break. There are some really good dirt trails for biking, about 20mi round trip.
Edit: Are there any other routines you can do in your room?

Plenty. If I were you, I'd look into some Crossfit workouts. While some of them are decidedly insane, there are a lot of them that will give you a hard, fulfilling workout, often just with bodyweight exercises. The idea is to do very high reps of low body weight exercises, so a Crossfit routine might look something like

20 pushups
20 situps
20 squats
10 burpees
25 jumping jacks

And you'd try do all of those as fast as you can, and then maybe repeat the whole thing 3-5 times. You can get in great athletic shape doing stuff like that.

Steeze said:
Last week of class so I should have a four week hiatus from school, it's amazing how much damage school does to the body. I haven't had a decent break since last winters break so i've lossed a lot of my strength. So during those few weeks off I'd like to try and get back normal and even stronger if possible.

My goals

A person whose 130 doing a 400 pound squat is insanity. I've been lifting for six years and my legs are the strongest part of my body. When you make it to 300+ pounds on a squat, the whole game changes. That is a level of heavy where the pressure you feel on your body is very hard to describe.

Dec 4, 2014 12:22 AM

Sep 2014
Gatsby42 said:
It sounds like we're in a pretty similar place. When my shoulder is 100% and I've made sure I've built good stability, I might go back to lifting heavy once a month or something. Right now though, I'm happy just going for reps. Doing so has made me a lot leaner than I ever was lifting heavy, my vascularity has been getting insane.

Pretty awesome about you and your dad. Seems like a pretty awesome guy. I hope I'm still lifting when I'm 66. You should keep checking up on this thread, shoot the shit!
Read more at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1318449&show=0#GSHDvK70OPbO0fFU.99

Will do!
Dec 4, 2014 12:25 AM
Jul 2018
Gatsby42 said:

Yeah, winter+ stress= weight gain. My diet has been crap the last two months because I'm too busy to cook good meals, and honestly, when I'm stressed over finals, I don't want a piece of broccoli, I want a Snickers.

Don't be too hard on yourself. You're human, and we all have setbacks. What kind of food does your mom try give you? Unhealthy crap or?

My mom feeds me cooked meals. Vegetables, protein, low carbs. etc. Healthy stuff most of the time.

It's just sometimes I'm not able to work out anymore because of other priorities.

So for right now I need a workout that is effective and doesn't take too much time to complete.

Running is out of the question because it's dark by 5 PM and it's raining season.
Dec 4, 2014 3:27 AM

Jun 2014
I'm currently doing exercises everyday to get a sixpack (around 20 min a day) it's coming :D
Dec 4, 2014 3:36 AM

Nov 2014
Gatsby42 said:
omeg4 said:

Don't neglect your lower body. Throw in some lunges/squats.

When i do the pull ups i bring my legs up so that by body forms an 'L' shape so the lower body/abs do get some exercise but you are right I should do some squats too. My goal at the end of the month is 2 sets of 50 pushups and 25 to 30 pullups (right now I can do a maximum of only 20 in one go). I guess I'll probably start doing squats too.
omeg4Dec 4, 2014 4:04 AM
Dec 4, 2014 3:43 AM
Jun 2014
Is this thread where guys come to feel manly?
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Dec 4, 2014 3:49 AM

Apr 2012
Zarbel said:

SURE, NOW ARE YOU HERE TO CONTRIBUTE OR WHAT?
Dec 4, 2014 3:54 AM
Jun 2014
DoubleC said:
Zarbel said:

SURE, NOW ARE YOU HERE TO CONTRIBUTE OR WHAT?

I pump iron all the time. I'm actually a metal bender. In the Metal Clan, they call me Iron Man.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Dec 4, 2014 6:22 AM

Apr 2013
Started working out 5 years ago because of football.. Been on and off since I joined College and stopped playing. I did power lifting programs, strength programs, hypertrophy, and all that. I gained 45 pounds in the space of 3 years :) Just started working out again a few weeks ago after a 3 months break following injury..

My stats were:
- squat 405
- deadlift 405
- bench 225
Dec 4, 2014 6:43 AM

Oct 2013
I just go to the gym to keep in good shape as I don't really do any other form of exercise, so I don't really have any form of motivation but I do listen to music whilst I lift weights.
Dec 4, 2014 6:45 AM

Apr 2013
Gatsby42 said:
Steeze said:

My goals

A person whose 130 doing a 400 pound squat is insanity. I've been lifting for six years and my legs are the strongest part of my body. When you make it to 300+ pounds on a squat, the whole game changes. That is a level of heavy where the pressure you feel on your body is very hard to describe.
Yeah he's talking shit if he said he ever hit those numbers.. pretty much impossible unless you're a manlet at that weight.
Dec 4, 2014 7:38 AM

Jan 2014
just finished today's back/bi workout, went like this:

wide grip pull ups 4 X 10 (full extension, none of that 90 degree nonsense.. well maybe on the last set when I was tired)
Bent over barbell rows with underhand grip 3 X 10 @ 135 lbs, 2 X 10 @ 155 lbs
Lat pull down machine 5 X 8 wide grip 4 X 8 close grip all @ 140 lbs
3 sets of 21s with 50 lb straight bar
Seated machine rows with overhand grip 5 X 10 @ 80 lbs
hammer curls with 35 lb dumbbells, first set was 8, second set only managed 6

Gotta get those sick gainz before the end of the year progress selfie
Dec 4, 2014 7:40 AM

Apr 2013
gombo said:
just finished today's back/bi workout, went like this:

wide grip pull ups 4 X 10
Bent over barbell rows with underhand grip 3 X 10 @ 135 lbs, 2 X 10 @ 155 lbs
Lat pull down machine 5 X 8 wide grip 4 X 8 close grip all @ 140 lbs
3 sets of 21s with 50 lb straight bar
Seated machine rows with overhand grip 5 X 10 @ 80 lbs
hammer curls with 35 lb dumbbells, first set was 8, second set only managed 6

Gotta get those sick gainz before the end of the year progress selfie
Should ditch the 21s for concentration curls or preacher curls.
Dec 4, 2014 7:42 AM

Jan 2014
Sourire said:

I'll try that next time, I usually don't do curls unless I have time (probably a lie, think I'm just lazy) seem to get bis decent enough with pullups/lat pull down. I like 21s just because it only takes a couple sets to feel pretty warn out.

Edit: do you have a preference for one or the other and what would the reason be? Also just noticed my avatar changed after refreshing the page, took about a month haha
gomboDec 4, 2014 7:47 AM
Dec 4, 2014 7:55 AM

Apr 2013
gombo said:
Sourire said:

I'll try that next time, I usually don't do curls unless I have time (probably a lie, think I'm just lazy) seem to get bis decent enough with pullups/lat pull down. I like 21s just because it only takes a couple sets to feel pretty warn out.

Edit: do you have a preference for one or the other and what would the reason be? Also just noticed my avatar changed after refreshing the page, took about a month haha
21s is usually a warmup or warmdown because it pumps a lot of blood in your arms, but you rarely stretch/tear the muscle properly, at least compared to curls.

Well I usually do ez bar curls or preacher curls 4x10-12, then hammer curls 3x10-12 and finish with concentration curls or cable curls 2-3x12-15 (depends on the amount of sets reps I did for back)
Dec 4, 2014 7:59 AM

Nov 2014
Could somebody please share their diet? I want to gain weight as fast as possible I'm currently about 70 kg and would like to put on at least 10-15 kg more.
Dec 4, 2014 8:04 AM

Apr 2013
omeg4 said:
Could somebody please share their diet? I want to gain weight as fast as possible I'm currently about 70 kg and would like to put on at least 10-15 kg more.
"As fast as possible" :/ just hit a caloric surplus of 500~ and you'll gain weight.. eat 1-1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight, lots of carbs, and at least 60g or so of good fat like peanut butter, olive oil, avocado...
Dec 4, 2014 8:05 AM

Jan 2014
Sourire said:
21s is usually a warmup or warmdown because it pumps a lot of blood in your arms, but you rarely stretch/tear the muscle properly, at least compared to curls.

that makes sense, if you can do that many reps then the intensity probably isn't high enough. I'll save it for the end of the day then
Dec 4, 2014 8:09 AM

Nov 2014
Sourire said:
omeg4 said:
"As fast as possible" :/ just hit a caloric surplus of 500~ and you'll gain weight.. eat 1-1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight, lots of carbs, and at least 60g or so of good fat like peanut butter, olive oil, avocado...

I put that 'as fast as possible' part because I'm currently on vacation so i'm home right now and home = good food. Once college starts its back to eating noodles and anything i can make in under 2 minutes. Anyways thanks :)
Dec 4, 2014 8:22 AM

Apr 2013
omeg4 said:
Sourire said:

I put that 'as fast as possible' part because I'm currently on vacation so i'm home right now and home = good food. Once college starts its back to eating noodles and anything i can make in under 2 minutes. Anyways thanks :)
I'm on a $70-100 per week diet at the moment which isnt that expensive.. Mostly tuna/ground beef for meat. I used to eat 1.5 pound of meat/chicken per day but that was way too expensive lol
Dec 4, 2014 9:10 AM

Feb 2013
I don't have any specific diet focused on a particular food group. I try to just hit all areas of the food pyramid. I mostly eat what I want, but I tend to try and gravitate towards leaner meats. Turkey mostly....loooove turkey.

The trick is to not eat too much of certain things. People get hungry and go for those chips when they could go for something like a piece of fruit. Eating between meals isn't a bad thing. When you're hungry, you're hungry and you need to satiate it. Otherwise the first thing your body will start to burn is protein/muscle mass. I usually do a protein/meal bar if I'm between meals. Those Special K ones do the job pretty nicely.

Workout-wise, if I'm on a lifting day, I keep my routine pretty much the same all the way around. I do 5 circuits at my gym. 5 sets of pressing at 120lbs for 20 reps. 5 sets of hams/quads at 70lbs for 20 reps. 5 Sets of Pec Decks at 120lbs for 20 reps. 5 sets of lat pulls at 50lbs for 30 reps.

On body weight days I still follow my APFT standards. 5 sets of however many pushups I can crank out in 2 minutes with 1-2 minutes of rest between sets. 5 sets of however many situps I can crank out in two minutes with 1-2 minutes of rest between sets. Might throw in 5-10 pull-ups at the end if I'm not exhausted already.

For a treadmill day I don't follow any particular regimen. I just go for two miles at 6, with a 1 minute warm-up walk before I get going.
Dec 4, 2014 10:33 AM
Feb 2014
Can't wait to get back on my 4 times a week schedule now that classes are just about done. I want to start a new workout routine this time around, maybe focus a little more on cardio-based stuff since I've actually been doing less of that and more of weight training.

Then again, I do like to swim laps after I do lift.

Also if this isn't gym-related does anyone jog outside as a form of exercise? Curious as to if other people do this.
Dec 4, 2014 10:44 AM

Feb 2013
Nicoreos said:
Also if this isn't gym-related does anyone jog outside as a form of exercise? Curious as to if other people do this.
Jogging outside is a good way to develop pacing and breathing control, especially if it's colder outside. Things like grade increases and the condition of the ground where you're running can affect your speed which is why it helps with pacing. It's mostly for the breathing control though imo. You can get winded a lot faster if you're inhaling colder air.
Dec 4, 2014 10:47 AM
Feb 2014
NTAD said:
Nicoreos said:
Jogging outside is a good way to develop pacing and breathing control, especially if it's colder outside. Things like grade increases and the condition of the ground where you're running that can affect your speed which is why it helps with pacing. It's mostly for the breathing control though imo. You can get winded a lot faster if you're inhaling colder air.

That's why I do it.

The weather around here has been in the high 30s to low 50s here as of late, so it's the right time of year to do it. It really keeps my ashtma in check as well, so it's something that I've been doing in recent times and really feel like it's a beneficial type of thing if you don't feel like going to the gym to do cardio-related workouts.
Dec 4, 2014 10:51 AM

Nov 2014
Nicoreos said:

I do it if i wake up very early in the morning and if there is no one out on the streets. It is really peaceful and I love it but i hardly ever wake up early
Dec 4, 2014 2:11 PM

Jul 2014
You guys, I'm so proud of this thread right now. Never thought there'd be so many fellow gym bros on TAL. <3

For the guy who was asking about weight gain, it's pretty simple really. Shorthand for weight gain is "bulking", and the best way to bulk is to be a strategic fat ass. Always keep your protein high because protein maintains muscle. You're shooting yourself in the foot if you think you can keep gains without a steady intake.

Second, up the carbs up to crazy levels. Bulking is actually harder than cutting imo because you need to get a little uncomfortable in the amount of food you eat. 500+ is a lot when you're already full, and if you're really skinny, 1000+ might be better.

Best way to make it work? Eat the most right before a workout and right after. Provide the energy to go hard and then nourish every damn fiber and then some with the biggest meal of the day.

To the guy who asked about supplements, I use C4 as a pre-workout/creatine blend. Makes you go super saiyan every time with no discernible side effects(outside of working out TOO LONG). Also the odd Vitamin D and Fish Oil.

Dec 4, 2014 2:35 PM

Apr 2013
Meh stopped taking prewo a while ago, waste of money.. the only one I would buy if it was still available would be Jack3d (lemon lime old formula).. that shit was the bomb. I only take beta-alanine with creatine 30 minutes before working out and whey protein after working out + omega 3's and a multivitamin in the morning. Food > supplements.
Dec 4, 2014 2:42 PM

Feb 2013
Dec 4, 2014 3:07 PM

Jul 2014
Food + supplements > Food

NTAD said:
Relevant

m/

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» proxy

jackfrostenson - 32 minutes ago

1 by vasipi4946 »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - Today

27 by Sad »»
43 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

37 by Sad »»
48 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

677 by Crawlie »»
2 hours ago

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

25 by bevarnow »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.