Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 24, 2014 4:41 PM

Aug 2014
Never really been into RPG's but I'm looking into getting into them now. I'm a big fan of Pokemon though but otherwise, I've never really played much else in the RPG genre. I tried playing Ni No Kuni and I liked it but I felt it got kind of boring after a while and eventually dropped it. I have Earthbound on the Wii U and Xenoblade on the Wii so I'm thinking of playing either one. I'm not sure about Xenoblade because the game is colossal, don't think I'll be able to invest that much time into a game. Maybe when the 3DS version releases, then I'll probably try Xenoblade. I find it kind of hard to get into games now, I used to be able to play anything and enjoy it but I find it pretty boring now.

What do you recommend?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 24, 2014 4:46 PM

Jul 2013
cod
Oct 24, 2014 4:49 PM

Sep 2014
Out of PC RPGs I would definitely recommend Baldur's Gate series, even though it's pretty old now, and people seem to be crazy about Planescape Torment although I've never given it a try. My personal favorite RPG for PC is Dragon Age: Origins (expansion optional). DA2 was good, but they screwed up many crucial aspects. Another great RPG that came out quite recently is Divinity: Original Sin, still enjoying this one at the moment. I have no experience with console games since I've never owned one, but you didn't specify the platform, so I hope my PC recommendations can be of use.

And I agree about Pokemon, that'll be forever part of my childhood, and a good one.
[b]Men talk of killing time, while time quietly kills them.

Oct 24, 2014 4:54 PM

Oct 2012
Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout: New Vegas
Oct 24, 2014 5:00 PM

Aug 2014
Guriffisu said:
cod

Grim_Person said:
Out of PC RPGs I would definitely recommend Baldur's Gate series, even though it's pretty old now, and people seem to be crazy about Planescape Torment although I've never given it a try. My personal favorite RPG for PC is Dragon Age: Origins (expansion optional). DA2 was good, but they screwed up many crucial aspects. Another great RPG that came out quite recently is Divinity: Original Sin, still enjoying this one at the moment. I have no experience with console games since I've never owned one, but you didn't specify the platform, so I hope my PC recommendations can be of use.

And I agree about Pokemon, that'll be forever part of my childhood, and a good one.

Never been into PC Gaming but I'll check them out nonetheless! Thanks :D

Greenward said:
Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout: New Vegas

I have Fallout 3 on X360 but that's the only one you did not recommend.. Any reason? I had totally forgot I had that game until I saw you recommend the Fallout series! Thanks!
Oct 24, 2014 5:02 PM

Jul 2013
Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas and Final Fantasy 6.
Oct 24, 2014 5:05 PM

Jun 2014
Lufia II, Grandia II, Final Fantasy VI, Tales of Symphonia, Secret of Mana, Ys, etc.

Oct 24, 2014 5:08 PM

Jul 2011
Fallout series.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Oct 24, 2014 5:18 PM

Aug 2014
Fallout and Elder scroll series
Oct 24, 2014 5:23 PM

Jan 2008
Dark Cloud 2
Oct 24, 2014 6:02 PM
Jun 2014
These are older games which you may/may not have played but these 3 are currently my all time favorites.

Xenogears: for perhaps my favorite rpg story of all time. Anime-esque art style with martial arts and mecha fights. The story is absolutely epic, the gameplay is alot of fun and the characters are increadibly memorable for me. Fei and Elhaym's story is something I can't speak highly enough about.

Suikoden 2: is an amazing story as well with possibly one of the coolest RPG villains ever in Luca Blight, but the story and the gameplay in this alone make it a must play game in my opinion. Just be sure to take good care of Nanami ;)

Crono Trigger: is a classic that most folks know or have already played, but if you havn't, do it. It is so worth it, this game inspired a love of RPG's in me that continues today.

I have replayed each of these 3 multiple times over the year and I find I still love them as much now as I did then.
Oct 24, 2014 6:10 PM

Apr 2011
Western : a tie between Mass Effect and Dragon Age Origins. Mass Effect just because of story. I'm not a guy who values a game solely on the story, but holy shit Mass Effect is like watching a movie with choices. Dragon Age Origins because I loooove the gameplay, it feels like playing an RTS with a pause option. I've heard great things about Baldur's Gate but I get put off by the graphics :/

Japanese : Valkyrie Profile. In terms of gameplay, I don't think I've seen any Jrpg that is better than Valkyrie Profile. I really wish they included a skipping option because everytime you want to restart the game you have to go through 30-40 minutes of cinematics -___-
Oct 24, 2014 6:13 PM
Jul 2018
You have Xenoblade. You haven't played it yet. Something's wrong here.

All honesty though Xenoblade is my favorite game of all time and I HIGHLY recommend you play it now since you have it on Wii and not some lesser 3DS version. Trust me once you start playing it you'll get into it and the game's length won't bother you at all.
Oct 24, 2014 6:20 PM

Jun 2012
The Tales of series. Mass effect. Final fantasy. Star Ocean. Dragon quest.

I'll add Disgaea just because.
Oct 24, 2014 8:44 PM

Jun 2010
Since most of the ones that i love have already been posted, i'll just add saga frontier 2 here.
The battle system is kind of complicated at first and you might find yourself stuck in a few stages if you don't know what to do but I find the story to be very engaging and the characters are very interesting and inspirational.

And since you have a wii, I'll say you try Rune factory:Frontier though the runey system might get a little bit of getting used to, it's a really fun game. From farming to crafting your own equipment and even starting a family of your own. The characters are also very interesting and fun.
Oct 24, 2014 8:53 PM

Jul 2012
Illusion of Gaia, The last story, Dragons Dogma, Dragon Age, secret of mana was ok.
Oct 24, 2014 8:57 PM

Jul 2012
Always wanted to play Terranigma
Oct 24, 2014 9:00 PM

Apr 2014
Fallout and Mass Effect for dayyyyyyyyys
Oct 24, 2014 9:01 PM

Dec 2009
Shin Megami Tensei
Oct 24, 2014 9:45 PM
May 2007
Lunar Silver Star Story
Lunar Eternal Blue

Popolocrois

Legend of Zelda
Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword

Super Mario RPG

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Tactics

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Super Famicom

Sailor Moon Another Story

Dragon Quest VI

Shenmue (well originally the Virtua Fighter RPG)

Phantasy Star
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III
Phantasy Star IV

Panzer Dragoon RPG

Magic Knight Rayearth (Saturn)

Evolution
Oct 24, 2014 10:36 PM

Jan 2013
Pikachu-Pandas said:
The Tales of series. Final fantasy. .

Symphonia and Vesperia are the only really worthwhile games out of the Tales franchise. Most of the new FF games suck also...
Oct 24, 2014 11:40 PM

Oct 2012
I have to go with Final Fantasy 4-12 and 14 2.0 AND from the Shin Megami Tensei series Nocturne and Persona 3(both versions) and 4 the Golden.
Oct 25, 2014 1:06 AM

May 2014
I really wish I spent my childhood playing the classics like Final Fantasy, Tales of games, Persona, and all that but I invested most of my gaming time in Pokemon and Runescape lol. Now I don't have the time to invest in these amazing JRPG's I've been hearing about. Well anyway, I'd say my favorite is Pokemon but I thoroughly enjoyed the Mass Effect trilogy as well.
Oct 25, 2014 1:18 AM

May 2014
Grandia series
Star Ocean series
Final Fantasy series
Shin Megami Tensei series
Rune Factory series
Tales series
Ni no Kuni
The Last Remnant
Anything made by Monolith Soft.
and a lot more JRPG i can't remember atm.

I'm more of a jrpg guy so these are the only western rpgs I liked.
Mass Effect series
Dragon age series
Witcher series
Anything made by Bioware and CD Projekt Red.
Oct 25, 2014 1:39 AM

Mar 2014
Dragon Age Origins
The Witcher series
That's all about it. I'm not really much into RPGs.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Oct 25, 2014 1:47 AM

Feb 2012
Well I'm huge faggot of Souls series. Demon Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2.
Oct 25, 2014 1:54 AM
Jul 2014
Borderlands(2, pre-sequel) are most entertaining RPG for me.
Also Skyrim and Mass Effect was exciting.
Oct 25, 2014 6:27 AM

Apr 2014
Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Still an original with a unique art style and a gorgeous soundtrack. The battles in saga are pretty enjoyable too, even though I don't like round based battle systems very much.
Oct 25, 2014 7:17 AM
Sep 2013
Fallout 3/NE, Witcher 2 and Mass Effect even though i only played the third one
Oct 25, 2014 7:19 AM

Jan 2012
Skyrim

Oct 25, 2014 4:01 PM

Nov 2012
Xenoblade Chronicles
Final Fantasy VII
Fallout 3
Paper Mario
Oct 25, 2014 4:16 PM

Dec 2013
Darklands. I wish more RPGs were like it
Oct 25, 2014 4:27 PM

Jun 2012
As many have said before, Dragon Age Origins and the Elder Scrolls are great games. The Elder Scrolls games gives you a huge world to explore at your own pace and allows you to craft your experience the way you want. Dragon age has some really awesome gameplay and has a pretty good story with rich lore.

Other notable titles are Shin Megami Tensei (SMT IV is on the 3ds, and is a real treat), Valkyrie Profile, Fire Emblem, and Super Robot Taisen games (all of the main series game, Super Robot Wars, are only in Japan. But the Super Robot Taisen games are still really fun)
Oct 25, 2014 6:08 PM

Aug 2014
Played Mass Effect 2, absolutely loved it, I have Mass Effect 3 so I'll check that out
I've played Skyrim, what are the best game except from Skyrim in the Elder Scrolls series?
I have Fire Emblem Awakening which I think I will be playing next
I know how good Xenoblade is but I'll probably play it when I have tons of free time so I can just play the game non-stop and experience the journey for the first time properly
Shin Megami Tensei looks really good, will look into it
Fallout 3 is also another one that I have put on my list
Out of every Final Fantasy, which one should I play? I played Final Fantasy XIII but I never finished it, the game is huge and it got to a point where it felt like a burden to play so I stopped. I've heard Final Fantasy XIII is one of the worst of the series so I haven't touched it since.
Oh and Paper Mario, I started playing Super Paper Mario on the Wii a while back but dropped it and haven't touched a paper mario since. Since then I've heard that Super Paper Mario is the worst of the series. Where should I start in Paper Mario? From the first game?
Oct 26, 2014 11:28 PM
Jun 2014
If your gonna play just 1 FF game 7 would be the populist choice, I would suggest 3/6 if you don't mind SNES graphics or 12 if your looking for something modern. Alot of people give 12 a hard time but I enjoyed it.

I'd still encourage you to emulate those old RPGS I mentioned earlier though!

Edit: Regarding Paper Mario, the first Paper Mario was great but again if you were only going to play 1 I would suggest Paper Mario 2.
Hixt63Oct 26, 2014 11:36 PM
Oct 27, 2014 6:49 AM

Aug 2014
Hixt63 said:
If your gonna play just 1 FF game 7 would be the populist choice, I would suggest 3/6 if you don't mind SNES graphics or 12 if your looking for something modern. Alot of people give 12 a hard time but I enjoyed it.

I'd still encourage you to emulate those old RPGS I mentioned earlier though!

Edit: Regarding Paper Mario, the first Paper Mario was great but again if you were only going to play 1 I would suggest Paper Mario 2.

I actually prefer SNES graphics. I really like them over modern graphics. Looks like I'll be playing FF6 then.
I currently own Chrono Trigger on the Wii U virtual console so I'll look into that.
I'll probably start from the first Paper Mario and play all of them from there.
Damn, I have a lot of games that I own but have not played. I think I'm going to try playing Fire Emblem since that is a game that my brother loves dearly and I will then look into some of the recommendations you guys gave. Thank you!
Oct 27, 2014 9:46 AM

Oct 2014
any borderlands game (all are fun)

skyrim (size,replay value and amount of stuff)

both of the souls games(difficulty)
Oct 27, 2014 10:35 AM

Jul 2012
In no particular order:

Valkyria Chronicles
Chrono Trigger
Disgaea 1, 2, 3, 4, and D2
Resonance of Fate
Lost Odyssey
Persona 3 and 4
SMT Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2
SMT Nocturne
Final Fantasy VI, Tactics, IX, X, X-2, and XII
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
Odin Sphere
Grim Grimoire
Dragon's Crown
Tactics Ogre
Xenogears
Xenosaga 1, 2, and 3
The Last Story
Breath of Fire
Fire Emblem
Oct 28, 2014 11:47 PM

Jun 2013
I haven't played to many RPGs but I did like fallout 3 and persona 3 fes
Oct 29, 2014 3:30 AM

Sep 2014
Dragon Age: Origins.
The Elder Scrolls 4 and 5.
The Witcher series.
Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
Chrono Trigger.
Ni No Kuni
Oct 29, 2014 4:02 AM

Jul 2014
1. Morrowind
2. Neverwinter Nights 2
3. Diablo II
4. Fallout 2
5. Planescape: Torment
6. Allods Online (pre patch that destroyed it)
6. Skyrim
7. Oblivion
8. Baldur's Gate
9. Fallout: New Vegas
10. Fallout 3
Oct 29, 2014 4:10 AM
Mar 2011
Red_Tuesday said:
1. Morrowind
2. Neverwinter Nights 2
3. Diablo II
4. Fallout 2
6. Skyrim
7. Oblivion
8. Baldur's Gate
10. Fallout 3

you like rogs with bad storys then
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 29, 2014 4:13 AM

Oct 2014
If you have Steam, three RPGs are worth it. Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun: Dragonfall. All three are fantastic games and are as different as can be and they each give hell of a lot of replay value, especially the first two.

Truly, CRPGs are making a comeback.
Oct 29, 2014 4:15 AM

Oct 2014
FGAU1912 said:
Red_Tuesday said:
1. Morrowind
2. Neverwinter Nights 2
3. Diablo II
4. Fallout 2
6. Skyrim
7. Oblivion
8. Baldur's Gate
10. Fallout 3

Actually, some of the games in that fellow's list have some of the best stories seen in video gaming, dunno what you're talking about.
Oct 29, 2014 4:22 AM
Mar 2011
Khaosman said:
FGAU1912 said:

Actually, some of the games in that fellow's list have some of the best stories seen in video gaming, dunno what you're talking about.

im sorry Final Fantasy Tactics [ a game i very cold on] hasbetter story than all of them

Skyrim has shit story fact
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Oct 29, 2014 4:24 AM
Mar 2011
Khaosman said:
If you have Steam, three RPGs are worth it. Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun: Dragonfall. All three are fantastic games and are as different as can be and they each give hell of a lot of replay value, especially the first two.

Truly, CRPGs are making a comeback.

they never died in Japan wizadary for exmaple is still alive a well here last game made in 2012 retail i dont call digital only games as making a comeback

Oct 29, 2014 4:28 AM

Sep 2014
Fallout 3 & Skyrim :)
Oct 29, 2014 4:43 AM

Oct 2014
FGAU1912 said:

im sorry Final Fantasy Tactics [ a game i very cold on] hasbetter story than all of them

Skyrim and the Elder Scrolls series in general NEVER had a strong plot. What made the games so lovable was the exploration, not characters and story.

I was talking about the Fallout games, Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment. Torment had one of the most intriguing RPG plots ever.
Oct 29, 2014 4:45 AM
Mar 2011
Khaosman said:
FGAU1912 said:

Skyrim and the Elder Scrolls series NEVER had a strong plot. What made the games so lovable was the exploration, not characters and story.

I was talking about the Fallout games, Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment. Torment had one of the most intriguing RPG plots ever.

thats a joke ofr skyrim too xenoblade had the bigger world ES worlds have been getting smaller fact Daggerfall is the bigger game world ever its the size of a real life nation in the world

Oct 29, 2014 4:55 AM

Mar 2014
FGAU1912 said:
Khaosman said:

Man WRPG as being inspired by tabletop RPGs are not about story. And it's rare to get a good and original story from a campaign. So the point of WRPG is to replicate the max possible freedom and feel of a tabletop RPG. It's different than typical JRPG that are heavily dependant of the plot/story and try to limit your freedom the max possible. So I don't think It's fair to judge a WRPG for its story.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

27 by Tropisch »»
21 minutes ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

524 by SnipeStrike »»
37 minutes ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

54 by Shizuna »»
51 minutes ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
5 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
Yesterday, 9:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.