34.4%
It's amazing, but the fans overrate it
25.7%
I've never seen this show
2.0%
In between
5.4%
979 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 2, 2015 12:50 AM

Mar 2014
Jan 2, 2015 9:37 AM

Mar 2014
keragamming said:
Let me try an enlighten you on the 1st season. At first look snk may look like a simple straight forward series, but if you start thinking and analyzing the series. You will realize that this series is much more deeper and complex than you initially though.

?

keragamming said:
Have you ever wondered what could be the motive of the collosal titan and the armored titan, which armin theorize could be human shifters as well? What are the point of letting titans kill so many people? What are their goal?

Because they're loners and outside of the society. You don't have to be Descartes to realize that.

keragamming said:
Why did the female titan wanted to capture eren? Where do these titan shifters come from? Why are there titans inside the very Walls that are used to protect the humans? Why did eren father give his young child these titan powers? Where did the titans come from?

These are not, in any way, philosophical questions.

keragamming said:
These are a few of many interesting questions in the series. Btw all these question were brought up in season 1 of the anime. Just think about these questions, I would really hold my tongue before saying this series is poorly written when you really don't know shit. The 1st season was basically just to introduce you to the plot and characters.

''Interesting'' questions does not equal ''well-written''.

keragamming said:
Btw about the lack of character development for certain characters. You said that you're talking about just the 1st season. Well yea you're right. But you should still remember that the anime is an adaption from a manga. Its not like the author had a time traveling machine and be like " oh I better flesh out every character that has a importance in the plot in the first 33 chapters because 3 years from now my series will get an anime adaption" I'm not saying you can't talk negative about the characters but at the same time you have to keep a open mind and remember that the manga doesn't have seasons in it.

But the script writers could still have chosen to develop some of the characters better, right?

keragamming said:
Also about it being repetitive I disagree, but we do have titan shifter in it for a reason plus human vs human fights as well in the 2nd season.
I am talking about the big picture of SnK. I've already explained why I found the show repetitive (titans appear, some people die, Eren goes MUST KILL TITANS MUH etc) and I don't see why I should have to repeat myself.

keragamming said:
Don't take it personal but you honestly remind me of the casual snk fans. The fans that like the series because of its actions without paying much attention to the story the only difference is that the action didn't impress you. Its like eating just the skin of the mango without getting to the juicy part.

I mention those questions so you can probably see that the story is not as simple as it seems. Anyone reading your comments about this series wouls think snk is just a action gore series like hellsing with any deeper meaning to it.

I'm not trying to convince you to like the series. I just want to make sure you fully understand the 1st season.

I said the show was repetitive and the character development next to zero. I didn't say a word about the action part (which I actually liked, by the way).

keragamming said:
I'm so burn out right now. We are in 2015 now and I'm still having pointless discussions about the 1st season of attack. I need to take some break from the anime adaption.

Please do so.
Comic_SansJan 2, 2015 9:44 AM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 2, 2015 9:58 AM

Jan 2015
Never seen it.

I justify posting in this thread just to say that because there is a poll option for it.

I'm a genius.
Jan 2, 2015 10:05 AM

Dec 2013
@Comic Sans, I'm sorry but you just said some pretty damn nonsense.
Jan 2, 2015 10:07 AM

Feb 2014
I don't know OP
I agree with you
Jan 2, 2015 10:11 AM

Jan 2013
Because it's popular and liked by "new" anime watchers.
Anything that's very popular and hyped is automatically overrated by long time anime viewers.
Jan 2, 2015 2:49 PM

Mar 2014
robis798 said:
''Nonsense''? I just explained why I think SnK is overrated and why I don't share keragamming's opinion. I didn't try to force you all to agree with me or something.
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 2, 2015 2:51 PM

Nov 2013
Because it's attracted extensive international attention. It may be overrated but it's still damn good
Jan 2, 2015 2:58 PM

Dec 2013
Comic_Sans said:
robis798 said:
''Nonsense''? I just explained why I think SnK is overrated and why I don't share keragamming's opinion. I didn't try to force you all to agree with me or something.

Well it's completely okay not to like something, but cmon, you sound so biased that you actually stop thinking about the series and say stuff that is completely wrong and/or stupid.
Jan 2, 2015 3:09 PM

Nov 2013
robis798 said:
Comic_Sans said:

Well it's completely okay not to like something, but cmon, you sound so biased that you actually stop thinking about the series and say stuff that is completely wrong and/or stupid.

Her reasons are pretty consistent and understandable. You got to keep in mind it her opinion in the longrun
Jan 2, 2015 3:17 PM

Dec 2013
monarchyanarchy said:
robis798 said:

Her reasons are pretty consistent and understandable. You got to keep in mind it her opinion in the longrun

Well I'd say it's pretty closed minded on her part, but meh, why does it matter.
goodshitgoOdshitJan 2, 2015 3:41 PM
Jan 2, 2015 4:27 PM

Aug 2014
How are they supposed to be main characters if they die in the beginning?
Jun 18, 2015 1:40 PM
Jun 2014
It's not that the show is overrated. I personally liked the show, still do, I like the manga too. I just don't like how people over hype it. I've seen multiple occasions where fans will rant about how AoT is the best anime ever and anyone who doesn't agree is stupid. I understand there are trolls but what annoys me is a lot of these people are being serious.

They make it seem as if AoT is the best show ever, when it isn't. I just want to go onto a site or forum without someone mentioning how AoT is the best and disregarding any other good show mentioned.
Aug 29, 2015 10:51 AM
Aug 2015
It is definetly overrated, actually you guys misunderstood the meaning of the word "overrated" overrated means that it doesnt deserve the rating that it actually have, attack on titan is not bad, but its not that good, i can mention 20+ animes better than aot, also if you would check other furoms you will find that attack on titan is not on any list of the top 10 animes on any site, but ill mention examples that are better than aot.
1.steins gate
2.hunter x hunter 2011
3. Code geass
4. Shiki
5. Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood
6. The blue exorcist
7. Kuroko no basket
8. Tokyo ghoul (maybe)
I dont have time to mention more but im pretty sure i got more better than aot, if you would disagree with me then you definetly havent watched any of the animes that i just mentioned
Aug 29, 2015 10:52 AM

Jun 2014
It's from overexposure, I can't go into a manga section of a book store without people talking about how it's the greatest.
Oct 9, 2015 5:03 PM
Oct 2015
Definitely this the most overrated anime ever. Personally i hated this show, and no, i am not a fan of any other show. But shows like welcome to NHK, Usagi drop, spice and wolf etc. are underrated if you compare to this piece of crap. Can you tell me one reason how this show is better than other shonene anime legends like fullmetal alchemist brotherhood, yu uy hakusho, bacanno and hunter hunter. Personally Hunter Hunter(2011) is 1000 times better than this piece of crap. Again, i am not a fan of hunter hunter but still i found that show way better than this overrated piece of crap.(sorry for my English)
Oct 9, 2015 5:08 PM

Aug 2012
Bewb_Lord said:
Because it is overrated
Oct 11, 2015 1:28 AM

Sep 2014
Its not Overrated, Everyone just Love it.
Shingeki No Kyojin is Great Anime, it certainly is one of the best Anime
But its not the Best Anime ever created.
Dec 31, 2015 3:53 PM
Aug 2015
Well for me I'm not the biggest fan of AOT. I think the only way it's overrated is the way fans give it 10/10. When I score something I compare it to things that are already pre-existing on a 7 or 8 slot. If you want to read something that's a ten out of ten read the highly acclaimed berserk. A dark and gritty medieval seinen serialized in young animal magazine shows no remorse. Attack on Titan has got nothing on. Just read Berserk it has a better story than most literature in the world, top notch artwork, amazing characters that grow and develop but aren't gonna live forever, and a very phycological core inside of it. By comparing AOT to other series I have deemed it myself an 8.5/10. Just because a series is overrated doesn't mean it's bad, it just means it doesn't meet up to reality if you look into it.
Dec 31, 2015 5:50 PM

Oct 2013
Infinite_Image said:
Well for me I'm not the biggest fan of AOT. I think the only way it's overrated is the way fans give it 10/10. When I score something I compare it to things that are already pre-existing on a 7 or 8 slot. If you want to read something that's a ten out of ten read the highly acclaimed berserk. A dark and gritty medieval seinen serialized in young animal magazine shows no remorse. Attack on Titan has got nothing on. Just read Berserk it has a better story than most literature in the world, top notch artwork, amazing characters that grow and develop but aren't gonna live forever, and a very phycological core inside of it. By comparing AOT to other series I have deemed it myself an 8.5/10. Just because a series is overrated doesn't mean it's bad, it just means it doesn't meet up to reality if you look into it.

I like berserk, but the story is really not its strongest point. The world and its characters is what make berserk what's. You need to understand that people have different preference. What you consider good maybe bad to someone else. Even though berserk is #1 not everyone think it's a 10/10. If you go look at the stats there are people that rate it a 6/10, 7/10 ect. Welcome back to reality.
Jan 3, 2016 6:36 PM

Sep 2011
It's an outrageously popular anime. By definition, it HAS to be overrated. It just happens that the Anime is highly stylized with exaggerated shouting and dramatic moments. The people who critique anime usually like more subtle characterization than the ones in AOT
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jan 7, 2016 8:49 AM
Mar 2015
Popularity + Hate = Overrated
Feb 5, 2016 3:36 AM
Nov 2010
It's not overrated at all, especially on here. In fact, I remember when this was airing, people here were whining like bitches about how it's overrated. Hence, I was put off by the show cos back then, I I've recently watched it and it's decent. Better than 90% of the trash out there. Never again will I take the opinions of MAL seriously.

Long story short, never listen to the worthless opinions of weeaboos on MAL or any other fanbase that think that Mushishi, Legend of the Galactic Heroes are the godliest anime of all and SnK is 'overrated'.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Feb 20, 2017 5:20 AM
Oct 2015
In my opinion, AoT is overrated.

It's definitely a fun show and I would personally recommend it to others, but many people have made it out to be this amazing work of art, where you will see both amazing action and experience the feels over all the important characters that the writers aren't afraid to kill.

In reality, there haven't been any character deaths in the anime that I would call significant. The pacing is pretty horrible at some points and it has quite the amount of cliches.

It's still a good show, but all the hype left me very disappointed after watching it.

In short, it's not bad, but it is overrated.
Feb 20, 2017 5:59 AM

Nov 2016
It's overrated because, while it is a good show, it's also the anime that a lot of people watch without caring to dive deeper into the medium. There are a lot of better anime out there but they don't take the time to explore.
Feb 20, 2017 6:04 AM

Jan 2016
I felt the second half was a bit weak, but highly enjoyed the first half.

Pixel_Vapour said:
It's overrated because, while it is a good show, it's also the anime that a lot of people watch without caring to dive deeper into the medium. There are a lot of better anime out there but they don't take the time to explore.

What anime is your signature from?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 20, 2017 6:06 AM

Apr 2016
It is overrated, it was not an interesting watch, it had to explain everything more than once, the characters are all pretty much dull and having nothing to them, not to mention the story is a rip off of FM. They assume the problem was out side but then it turns out its really all within the city. I don't see why people like it so much.
Feb 20, 2017 6:07 AM

Nov 2016
hinto said:

It's from Re:Zero
Feb 20, 2017 6:08 AM

Apr 2016
hinto said:
I felt the second half was a bit weak, but highly enjoyed the first half.

Pixel_Vapour said:

The show in his signature is from Re Zero
Feb 20, 2017 6:28 AM

Oct 2013
OP said:
It is overrated, it was not an interesting watch, it had to explain everything more than once, the characters are all pretty much dull and having nothing to them, not to mention the story is a rip off of FM. They assume the problem was out side but then it turns out its really all within the city. I don't see why people like it so much.

Within the city is just a sub plot, not the main plot, mangax reader speaking here, it has similarities towards claymore ect, god forbid this series to have similarities to another, you might as well call it a rip off evangellion and blue gender as many as said.

But the more the story delves deeper into the plot the more different it is from all those series, snk is going a completely different approach from those series.

Btw snk got its influence from muv luv and many other series and video games, its a mixture of everything in one. I don't care if someone think it is overrated, but at least know your facts before calling it a rip off, good luck finding a original serie that no other series has done before.
keragammingFeb 20, 2017 6:31 AM
Apr 10, 2017 2:25 PM

Jan 2017
the protagonist is unlikable, its pretty straight forward and unshocking but it its fan claim its the best anime ever, its just like any other average anime really
Jun 22, 2017 6:42 PM

Mar 2016
TSmasher said:
why people think AoT is overrated.
It isn't! -.-

TSmasher said:
I seriously don't understand why. I've actually been trying to grasp it, but I don't understand why people think AoT is overrated. If it's not your cup of tea, that's fine, but I don't think this show is overrated. I don't think it's the best either, but it's certainly very good and pretty amazing. On all of the arguments they make, I can make a counterargument easy.

1. Eren's titan form being an asspull? No it's not, there are hints to it such as the injection from Grisha, after hitting his head while training there was steam rising from it (and he heals in like an hour), and the titan's fighting form were all hints.
No... Of course it's not an asspull! Isayama said he as the story defined from the beginning (except for the ending it seems)...
When I rate an anime I tend to watch all the seasons and rate them together because... you know... it's just one story, not 20!
And Eren has the Titan power since the end of episode 2. How do I know? I read the manga... So I jugde the anime based on the answers I got from there and actually make a pretty fucking sense!!!

TSmasher said:
3. Eren is weak. Weak does not equal to bad main protagonist, and his philosophies and interesting themes make him a good protagonist and an interesting one because he's flawed and often his decisions aren't correct.
Eren isn't weak, is average at least... (https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1619146 - I agree with this guy)...

TSmasher said:
4. No character development: There's actually going to be a ton in the second season and a lot already in the manga. The first does have some too with Eren, Jean, and Armin. He has a ton of regret in the first season at the end, starts to hesitate and learns the taste of failure. The only character I would actually say is static even up to date, is Mikasa.
The excuse of that there is no character development is the worst! That's just someone who feels disgruntled! It's the first season! There's still a lot of story ahead and you want character development right on the first? What about the rest!? Besides, the second season got a lot of it and I only see the score getting smaller! I don't get this people... -.-

Abhishantz said:
it is not, they think it's overrated bcoz their fav anime got less score than AOT
HunterXJared said:
They call it overrated cause their favorite anime isn't praised highly enough.
Maybe... 😂😂😂

sim0n2170 said:
It deserves its praise but not the "Best show ever".
Exactly...

keragamming said:
Overrated the word that became meaningless. If you think about it logically. Every series is overrated weather its popular or not. Their is
not a single series in the world that everyone love at the same level therefore ot will fall into the overrated category.

@comic san it seems you are a late bloomer here I've been seen you posting here pretty frequently here. From reading your comments about snk it's painfully abvious that you haven't seen the big picture in this series. Please when watching snk you should always have your thinking hat on your head.

Let me try an enlighten you on the 1st season. At first look snk may look like a simple straight forward series, but if you start thinking and analyzing the series. You will realize that this series is much more deeper and complex than you initially though.

Have you ever wondered what could be the motive of the collosal titan and the armored titan, which armin theorize could be human shifters as well? What are the point of letting titans kill so many people? What are their goal?

Why did the female titan wanted to capture eren? Where do these titan shifters come from?

Why are there titans inside the very Walls that are used to protect the humans? Why did eren father gave his
young child these titan powers?

Where did the titans come from?

These are a few of many interesting questions in the series. Btw all these question were brought up in season 1 of the anime. Just think about these questions, I would really hold my tongue before saying this series is poorly written when you really don't know shit. The 1st season was basically just to introduce you to the plot and characters.

Btw about the lack of character development for certain characters. You said that you're talking about just the 1st season. Well yea you're right. But you should still remember that the anime is an adaption from a manga. Its not like the author had a time traveling machine and be like " oh I better flesh out every character that has a importance in the plot in the first 33 chapters because 3 years from now my series will get an anime adaption" I'm not saying you can't talk negative about the characters but at the same time you have to keep a open mind and rémember that the manga doesn't have seasons in it.

Also about it being repetitive I disagree, but we do have titan shifter in it for a reason plus human vs human fights as well in the 2nd season.

The first half of season 1 introduce us that our main character can tun into titans. The second half shows us that their are others that can turn into titans. Snk is a series that has psychological themes, action, mystery/conspiracy ect. So think again if you think this series is just a action show.

I'm so burn out right now. We are in 2015 now and I'm still have pointless discussion about the 1st season of attack. I need to take some break from the anime adaption.
I think you got all of my thoughts... 😤😤😤
- Those are great questions showing that the show isn't that bad writtten! Nice...
- The anime is clearly an "adaptation" and is far from being complete so it's an error to judge it that way...
Jun 23, 2017 6:34 AM

Nov 2015
I'd say it's underrated.
Jun 23, 2017 6:58 AM

Jan 2011
I think it's genuinely good and deserves it's current score. But not higher than that.
Jun 24, 2017 5:46 AM

Nov 2016
Metal_Ice786 said:
I'd say it's underrated.

Are you serious? What makes you think it's underrated?
Jun 24, 2017 8:21 AM

Nov 2015
Pixel_Vapour said:
Metal_Ice786 said:
I'd say it's underrated.

It has such a rich story, but many rate it low becuase of the lack of action.
Jun 24, 2017 8:46 AM

Nov 2016
Metal_Ice786 said:
Pixel_Vapour said:

It has such a rich story, but many rate it low becuase of the lack of action.

Well 1 million members and the second most popular thing on the site. I definitely wouldn't call that underrated.
Jun 24, 2017 10:58 AM

Nov 2016
Metal_Ice786 said:
Pixel_Vapour said:

Well 1 million members and the second most popular thing on the site. I definitely wouldn't call that underrated.

I think the score could've been higher.

The score is fine as it is. It's slightly higher than my favourite anime Madoka Magica.
Jun 24, 2017 11:31 PM

Oct 2014
I don't enjoy Shingeki as much, but the overrated argument is stupid.

Calling something overrated is the same as saying:

"My opinion is years better than all of these people that enjoy something that I don't. Of course this thing is trash, why can't people agree with my majestic opinion?"

If something is successful. It IS successful. You can dislike, but you can't never say it doesn't deserve its success because you aren't the center of the world.
Jul 10, 2017 2:59 PM
May 2017
AoT is not overrated, but whenever a manga get popular, there will always be some mad folks to say so
Jul 29, 2017 3:08 AM
May 2015
It's not bad at all, and in many ways it's very original and pushing of boundaries. But I will agree that the fan community doesn't grasp it very well, it's sought of like Walking Dead or Game of Thrones fans, they dig too deep into it and make it out to seem so inventive and realistic (Realism seems to be the trend nowadays), but at the same time it has it's flaws, and while character development is well done in this series, it's not suburb or anything. The main characters, while well made are not the backbone of the show, which should be the case for a tale such as this, at least in the first season. I really like AOT, but it's not like Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Hellsing or Death Note level of brilliance it's fandom makes it out to be. It's still great non the less though and should get it's praise, but I wish people wouldn't make it out to be like a Naruto, One Piece, Bleach or Fairy Tale fandom bullcrap.
Sep 26, 2017 5:04 PM
Jul 2018
Abhishantz said:
it is not, they think it's overrated bcoz their fav anime got less score than AOT

I agree. I am an avid Attack on Titan fan, and I admit, it is my favorite anime. But that doesn't mean I don't like other anime! There's plenty of other amazing anime!
But some people do get a little salty with the mainstream animes, Attack on Titan can't help that its main stream. But what would happen if it was a smaller anime, I wonder if other people would like it better? most likely, yes.
Sep 27, 2017 6:58 AM
Jun 2015
Xuanfung said:
Well is not everyone says that Shingeki no Kyojin is overrated it depends on each person, cause everyone has different opinion.

Well Eren is not really that weak tbh.

Well ofc there is Main characters that dies in anime like
I was watching guilty crown. Damn you
Sep 28, 2017 3:28 AM

Sep 2017
Overhyped, disappointing, and edgy.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 13, 2017 11:00 PM
Apr 2017
I would say its overrated. I watched it,liked first part of 1st season then my enoyment starts to rapidly decline. Why?? Too much unnecessary talking like believe in us or boasting how eren will turn into shreds annie and he end up without head. There it was too much unnecessary ??drama? wich was most like laughauble and dissapointing. While first deaths was like omg wtf why?? That last ones were like oh i see that coming. And Eren from boy with motivation and will to whining wimp.
While first half of 1st season was rated for me 8 then 2nd part was 5 that why i rated this show with 6.
Syczek111Oct 14, 2017 1:51 AM
Oct 13, 2017 11:02 PM

Jan 2013
It's a good show, but not worth all the glory it gets.
Dec 11, 2017 3:32 PM

May 2017
Why do its fans get so annoyed by people saying its overrated
Dec 11, 2017 3:37 PM
Oct 2014
i mean it's pretty good but not the best thing in the world...
Dec 11, 2017 4:49 PM

Oct 2017
Predictable, cheap writing, over dramatized. It lives on its premise and name. And no, I have nothing against it "because it gets higher rating than my show", it has nothing on my BERSERK
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Yesterday, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.