Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 8, 2014 9:21 AM

Dec 2013
This game feels like it tried to be Skyrim, but failed in just about every aspect for me. I guess Bethesda learned from what it did wrong in New Vegas for Skyrim, i just don't get what all the hype is for NV. Most of the time i end up walking around aimlessly in NV until some super weird insect comes over, spits poison in my face and i die out of nowhere. It doesn't have the same excitement and just walking around in Skyrim. The quests really seem to have nothing tying them together, UI seems clunky..and yet my friends swear that NV > Skyrim.

Should i just not be comparing the best RPG in the world(skyrim) to anything else?

Halp!
Oct 8, 2014 9:24 AM
Sep 2014
As someone who has played both the elder scrolls and fallout series, I personally like ES better due to the fantasy-like world and the addition of magic.

I can definitely see people liking Fallout of ES though and I think that its a matter of personal preference.

When comparing Skyrim to New Vegas specifically, you have to keep in mind that Skyrim did come out later and has better graphics than New Vegas.
Oct 8, 2014 9:54 AM

Nov 2012
It didn't try to be Skyrim since it did come out a year prior to it, but you can't really compare the two in the first place. Skyrim is a fantasy based action RPG with dragons, magic and the like whereas New Vegas is a post-apocalyptic based action RPG with mutants, ray guns and the like. That being said, I do prefer Skyrim over NV simply because it does offer a more immersive world. NV is still a good game in its own right, but the desolate wasteland found throughout a large portion of the game can be exhausting so I see where you're coming from.

PS Fallout 3 is the best RPG to date.
ObliviousSenpaiOct 8, 2014 10:01 AM
Oct 8, 2014 10:37 AM

Dec 2013
ObliviousSenpai said:
It didn't try to be Skyrim since it did come out a year prior to it, but you can't really compare the two in the first place. Skyrim is a fantasy based action RPG with dragons, magic and the like whereas New Vegas is a post-apocalyptic based action RPG with mutants, ray guns and the like. That being said, I do prefer Skyrim over NV simply because it does offer a more immersive world. NV is still a good game in its own right, but the desolate wasteland found throughout a large portion of the game can be exhausting so I see where you're coming from.

Yeah i get that but it just seems to be a world apart, like they took all the best parts of NV, kept it, but improved vastly in all other parts for Skyrim. I downloaded New Vegas because i thought it was an Add-on for Fallout 3, should i go back and get Fallout 3?(i haven't played it)
trijugate said:
As someone who has played both the elder scrolls and fallout series, I personally like ES better due to the fantasy-like world and the addition of magic.

I can definitely see people liking Fallout of ES though and I think that its a matter of personal preference.

When comparing Skyrim to New Vegas specifically, you have to keep in mind that Skyrim did come out later and has better graphics than New Vegas.

But it's not just graphics-wise. When i walk around Skyrim there is something new to do around every corner. NV just seems like a giant nothing with a few small towns here and there, a majority of the npcs don't say anything at all(or nothing of any value), i'm like 20 hours into NV and i honestly don't remember any part of the main storyline except that i'm a courier..I just don't see it

Mod edit:
Double posts merged.
AversaOct 8, 2014 11:28 AM
Oct 8, 2014 10:52 AM

Mar 2012
I agree with your friends, New Vegas > Skyrim.
    I find that the different subtribes in NV are more interesting than the different cities in Skyrim.
    The Fallout system of skills and then affecting your conversations and quests brings more variety than the ES system of adventuring and combat.
    The lack of some sort of central hub and big cities is also another thing I disliked about Skyrim.
    The writing of NV, while not amazing, is better/more entertaining than that of Skyrim.
    Last but not least, NV's overall shade of brown is slightly more pleasing to the eyes than Skyrim's overall shade of gray

euphoriia said:
Yeah i get that but it just seems to be a world apart, like they took all the best parts of NV, kept it, but improved vastly in all other parts for Skyrim. I downloaded New Vegas because i thought it was an Add-on for Fallout 3, should i go back and get Fallout 3?(i haven't played it)
Well, that's how Game Development companies/teams work. They usually keep the things they know how to do and improve on the ones they don't, or at least they should.

I wouldn't recommend you to play Fallout 3. Since Skyrim is basically an improved New Vegas, which is basically an improved Fallout 3, which is basically an improved Oblivion, and so forth.
Oct 8, 2014 11:01 AM

Jun 2014
new vegas was shit no doubt about it. it dosent feel like a wasteland just a desert and the over all story is pretty bad compared to fallout 3. fallout 3 on the other hand was awsome
Oct 8, 2014 12:32 PM

Nov 2012
euphoriia said:
ObliviousSenpai said:

Give Fallout 3 a shot, it's definitely one of the best games from last generation. It's set in Washington D.C. so you won't be dealing with a seemingly endless desert like in NV, which seems to be your biggest gripe with the game. Between Skyrim and Fallout 3 it really boils down to which you find more immersive.
ObliviousSenpaiOct 8, 2014 12:52 PM
Oct 8, 2014 12:51 PM

Jan 2012
yes; yes you are.
you sound poor
Oct 8, 2014 2:56 PM

Jun 2014
I liked it, but it wasn't as good as 3.
Oct 8, 2014 3:17 PM
Jan 2014
I loved it, in fact I've been a huge fan of both the falllout and ES series for a long long time. Pretty good games each of the franchise.

I can't chose in between the 2.
Oct 8, 2014 6:21 PM
Jul 2014
I really liked New Vegas, I thought it had a good variety of quests and it contained a lot of special weapons to collect, which I think Bethesda always does a good job of implementing into their games. I think I like the ES a little better because I have been playing them since Morrowind. I have had countless amounts of fun on the fallout and elder scrolls series.
Oct 8, 2014 7:39 PM

Nov 2012
* "DEMOCRACY IS NON-NEGOTIABLE."
Oct 8, 2014 7:42 PM

Apr 2014
Yes
Oct 8, 2014 8:10 PM

Nov 2011
I'm not for one on saying "tried to be Skyrim" if the game came out before Skyrim did. Just saying.
Oct 8, 2014 8:15 PM

Oct 2012
Kill yourself.
Oct 8, 2014 8:17 PM

May 2012
1. Skyrim sucks without mods, like really fucking bad.
2. New Vegas is better than fallout 3 because of better story and balancing.
Oct 8, 2014 8:28 PM

Aug 2014
I prefer the atmosphere of Fallout 3 to New Vegas.

I've played them both multiple times, and find that New Vegas just doesn't have the same "wasteland" feel as 3. It's hard to explain, but it just doesn't have the same effect on me.

I also really like the story of 3. Fighting the Enclave alongside the BOS was a blast. Heh.
Oct 8, 2014 9:16 PM

Feb 2013
Greenward said:
Kill yourself.

Great argument m8
Oct 8, 2014 9:18 PM

Sep 2014
i guess it depends on whether you like guns and explosives or melee weapons and magic. you can't really compare totally different settings, even though general playstyle and strategy is the same.

and by "tried to be skyrim" i know what you mean, i don't think he was saying it tried copying skyrim but rather it tried to accomplish what skyrim succeeded in and failed.

but i don't agree, i think NV greatly succeeded in what it was meant to accomplish and it introduced hardcore mode which i loved, because suddenly you had to be aware of your ammunition and be conservative yet still use enough weapons to survive (hardcore mode/no deaths is the only way to play after completing the game)

maybe like with all games it can only be most appreciated when it came out, obviously since then weve come a long way. though to me NV still beats skyrim, however i love both
Oct 8, 2014 9:19 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
Greenward said:
Kill yourself.
Oct 8, 2014 9:40 PM

Jun 2014
The only reason why I perfer F3 to NV is that F3 isn't filled with as much bugs as NV(In my Experiences).
Oct 8, 2014 10:37 PM

Jul 2013
I wouldn't say I didn't like Fallout: New Vegas, but I certainly didn't enjoy it as much as I did Fallout 3. When it comes to the story and lore New Vegas is no doubt superior. That being said, the characters and atmosphere where kinda lack luster. Personally I feel that Fallout 3 did a much better job when it came to atmosphere, and the characters were much more memorable. Three Dog, Mr. Penny, MacCready to name a few are characters that I still remember to this day -- mind you the last time I played Fallout 3 was about 5 years ago. Besides Bonne and Veronica all of the other characters in New Vegas are pretty much a blur to me, which is a shame since I recently played New Vegas to completion about a year ago.

I felt like the sense of macabre was something that New Vegas was missing. Fallout 3 felt more hopeless and dark, making the experience more memorable. Not to mention the Pip Boy music was also outstanding. Those small elements can make a game like Fallout stand out above all the others. While we all know the story was pretty much hogwash, at least the side quests and characters made the experience worth it.

Also, it's kinda funny you said New Vegas feels like Skyrim. The guys who worked on the original Fallout were actually the ones in charge of New Vegas while the team who made Fallout 3 is Bethesda.

P.S The best RPG in the world to you is Skyrim? Man... you must not play a lot of RPG's.
Zelos_WilderOct 8, 2014 10:44 PM

[center]Currently Watching: Nothing/center]
Currently Playing: Alice: Madness Returns
Oct 8, 2014 11:01 PM

Dec 2013
New Vegas felt like a DLC/expansion thingy as advertised.
It's not like it was a brand new game.
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Oct 8, 2014 11:44 PM

Jan 2013
You are not the only one OP
Oct 9, 2014 1:00 AM
Jul 2018
Lmao, "you can't compare the two". Ignoring the fact that Fallout is TES with guns.

I like TES more because it's less brown, for one thing. Not to mention the cowboy theme in NV was a huge turn-off for me... Fallout is supposed to feel like 1950's America, not the Old West, but that's purely a personal taste thing.

Fallout DOES forever have a superior system as far as enemies go. (No level-scaling.) It also has real dialogue choices, whereas every conversation in TES feels like an interrogation. I also like how stats can affect conversations.

When I really sit down and think about it though, both series are kinda boring. They're just really good at sucking you in. I like them, don't get me wrong, but... eh.
Oct 9, 2014 4:27 AM

Feb 2014
Ehhh, it didn't perform as well as 3 imo

"Everything you see on the internet isn't true." -Abraham Lincoln
Oct 9, 2014 4:28 AM

Apr 2013
vanilla skyrim is fucking shite m8

at least New Vegas' combat wasn't garbage.
an egomaniac and a fool

Oct 9, 2014 5:32 AM

Nov 2012
Mashiro-Yuki said:
Lmao, "you can't compare the two". Ignoring the fact that Fallout is TES with guns.

I like TES more because it's less brown, for one thing. Not to mention the cowboy theme in NV was a huge turn-off for me... Fallout is supposed to feel like 1950's America, not the Old West, but that's purely a personal taste thing.

Fallout DOES forever have a superior system as far as enemies go. (No level-scaling.) It also has real dialogue choices, whereas every conversation in TES feels like an interrogation. I also like how stats can affect conversations.

When I really sit down and think about it though, both series are kinda boring. They're just really good at sucking you in. I like them, don't get me wrong, but... eh.

And you're ignoring the fact that the OP is comparing his satisfaction found between the two worlds and when you compare it like that, they're worlds apart. So I stand by my statement that you cannot compare a post-apocalyptic world with a fantasy based world.
Oct 9, 2014 8:05 AM
Jan 2013
euphoriia said:
This game feels like it tried to be Skyrim

Not even ten words and it already doesn't make sense.

Great thread...?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 9, 2014 8:55 AM

Jul 2011
New Vegas, the king. UE, better.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Oct 9, 2014 10:30 AM

Dec 2013
Hulmy-chan said:
euphoriia said:
This game feels like it tried to be Skyrim

Great thread...?

I guess most people didn't get this. Yes i'm well aware that skyrim came after NV, what i meant was that NV tried to do what Skyrim managed to do.

ObliviousSenpai said:

And you're ignoring the fact that the OP is comparing his satisfaction found between the two worlds and when you compare it like that, they're worlds apart. So I stand by my statement that you cannot compare a post-apocalyptic world with a fantasy based world.

If you really think about it, what's different between the two? Besides the setting and that we have guns, they're actually extremely similar in just about every regard(random nobody suddenly thrown into chaos, has to perform missions etc etc). The combat system in Fallout is much better, but that's really it. The NV wasteland seems too....wasteland-ish, it's a whole lot of nothing, whereas skyrim even in the middle of nowhere there was stuff to do.

You could walk from Solitude to Riften and you'd do 20 dungeons, find 5 new quests, slay 3 dragons, get 10 new word of power.

If you walk from x to y(see i don't even know the name of the cities in NV), at most you'll run into some bandits or those lizard creatures.
Oct 9, 2014 11:35 AM

Aug 2009
euphoriia said:

ObliviousSenpai said:

If you really think about it, what's different between the two? Besides the setting and that we have guns, they're actually extremely similar in just about every regard(random nobody suddenly thrown into chaos, has to perform missions etc etc). The combat system in Fallout is much better, but that's really it. The NV wasteland seems too....wasteland-ish, it's a whole lot of nothing, whereas skyrim even in the middle of nowhere there was stuff to do.

You could walk from Solitude to Riften and you'd do 20 dungeons, find 5 new quests, slay 3 dragons, get 10 new word of power.

If you walk from x to y(see i don't even know the name of the cities in NV), at most you'll run into some bandits or those lizard creatures.

You sound like you didn't really get that far in Fallout.

My opinions of how much Skyrim is overrated aside, Skyrim is based in a much richer world because it didn't survive a nuclear holocaust. There's a lot of interesting things right away in a fantasy universe because they don't have to give the sensation that the world is devastated.

Fallout is one of those games that only really gets good when you start playing it. It has a ton of differences from Skyrim., Leveling is different. Quests have more to do with character morality (whereas in skyrim you can be an assassin and a thief and still save the world) The reason you have for exploring is less to see more of the world, but to try to find out details of the world before this happened. You have to get used to the feeling of isolation due to there not being many people and the system of order gone.Etc.

If you play it and can't stop thinking about skyrim then you're never going to really enjoy it for what it's meant to be.
Oct 9, 2014 11:40 AM

Jan 2013
I think Fallout 3 was way better than New Vegas.
But New Vegas was enjoyable aswell, even though the storyline quests only summed up to about 2/3 hours ...
Oct 9, 2014 12:00 PM

Dec 2013
AdamantiumX said:

My opinions of how much Skyrim is overrated aside, Skyrim is based in a much richer world because it didn't survive a nuclear holocaust. There's a lot of interesting things right away in a fantasy universe because they don't have to give the sensation that the world is devastated.

Fallout is one of those games that only really gets good when you start playing it. It has a ton of differences from Skyrim., Leveling is different. Quests have more to do with character morality (whereas in skyrim you can be an assassin and a thief and still save the world) The reason you have for exploring is less to see more of the world, but to try to find out details of the world before this happened. You have to get used to the feeling of isolation due to there not being many people and the system of order gone.Etc.

If you play it and can't stop thinking about skyrim then you're never going to really enjoy it for what it's meant to be.

I can't help but compare what a lot of people call one of the best rpgs to what i call the best rpg that i've played, it's only natural. I'm basing my enjoyment on another game i enjoyed, nothing wrong with that.

I'm currently level 15, i don't even know what the main storyline is but i assume it's this mr house or dr house that i have to kill/assist. I've done a fair bit of side-exploration but i either run into areas full of things i can't kill(there's some insects west of new vegas that shit all over my face, i die in two hits), or run into jackal gang guys that die to my pet dog before i can even aim at them. =/
Oct 9, 2014 12:52 PM

Nov 2012
euphoriia said:
AdamantiumX said:

I can't help but compare what a lot of people call one of the best rpgs to what i call the best rpg that i've played, it's only natural. I'm basing my enjoyment on another game i enjoyed, nothing wrong with that.

I'm currently level 15, i don't even know what the main storyline is but i assume it's this mr house or dr house that i have to kill/assist. I've done a fair bit of side-exploration but i either run into areas full of things i can't kill(there's some insects west of new vegas that shit all over my face, i die in two hits), or run into jackal gang guys that die to my pet dog before i can even aim at them. =/

It's times like these where we should just all agree to disagree.
Oct 9, 2014 5:41 PM

Sep 2014
JOAOAA said:
Greenward said:
Kill yourself.
Oct 10, 2014 6:41 PM

Apr 2012
New Vegas came out before Skyrim, moron.
Oct 10, 2014 6:53 PM

Dec 2013
Oddyeus said:

You should learn how to read before criticizing others.
Oct 10, 2014 6:55 PM

Apr 2013
euphoriia said:
Oddyeus said:

The problem is that you think Skyrim is a good game.
an egomaniac and a fool

Oct 10, 2014 7:00 PM

Dec 2013
Emnay said:
euphoriia said:

Suggest me a better RPG then.
Oct 10, 2014 7:59 PM

Oct 2012
euphoriia said:
Emnay said:

Suggest me a better RPG then.

Planescape: Torment.
Oct 11, 2014 3:49 AM
Jul 2018
If you want total freedom, there isn't much quite like a Bethesda RPG. I'd recommend Fallout 3, like a lot of the others have, since it's essentially a less brown version of New Vegas.

Dragon Age Inquisition is coming out soon. Maybe you could get into that? The new one is supposed to be open world and all that jazz. Not to mention the character customization looks freaking amazing.

Bioware RPGs are better at storytelling anyway.
Oct 11, 2014 7:15 AM

Nov 2012
Yup. My favorite game ever (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for the original X-Box) was made by Bioware!

But then again I didn't like Dragon Age 2 all that much..
Oct 11, 2014 8:39 AM
Jan 2013
euphoriia said:
Hulmy-chan said:

Great thread...?

I guess most people didn't get this. Yes i'm well aware that skyrim came after NV, what i meant was that NV tried to do what Skyrim managed to do.

What you meant and what you said are two different things.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 11, 2014 10:04 AM

Dec 2013
New Vegas was crap, the setting didnt match what made me interested in Fallout 3 same with Oblivion and Skyrim!

Oct 11, 2014 11:24 PM

May 2014
new vegas campaign sucked. i liked the improvements to the weapons and stuff with mods and stuff though.

it was just as fun as fallout was when it came out
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Oct 11, 2014 11:45 PM

Dec 2013
I didn't like the controls

More topics from this board

» Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door censors catcalling!?

rohan121 - Apr 28

35 by FanofAction »»
41 minutes ago

» My computer auto turn off due to overheating when playing game, is there a way to reduce the overheating non-physically?

aLotQuestion_ - May 1

12 by Coaghim »»
2 hours ago

» Tsukihime remake will not have adult content rating!? What do you think?

rohan121 - Yesterday

4 by Lucifrost »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Esg redesign for pokemon go before and after

rohan121 - Mar 30

5 by WaffleMaster89 »»
Today, 1:45 AM

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

23 by WaffleMaster89 »»
Today, 1:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.