Forum Settings
Forums

Should anime cater more to the international market?

New
Should it?
Sep 6, 2014 3:33 PM

May 2013
With today's anime becoming more niche and homogeneous while focusing on Japanese otaku instead of the mainstream, do you think the anime industry should start catering more towards the international market?

I see it like this; larger install base=more cash=more creativity and risk-taking.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 6, 2014 3:38 PM

Mar 2014
Won't happen because Japan is too xenophobic to even acknowledge there is a world outside of Japan.
Sep 6, 2014 3:38 PM
Jun 2014
Yes, sir. Catering to a biger audience means more moneyz
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Sep 6, 2014 3:39 PM

May 2013
mclovinballz said:
Won't happen because Japan is too xenophobic to even acknowledge there is a world outside of Japan.

This is a sad truth.
Sep 6, 2014 3:40 PM
Nov 2008
catering for no reason is pointless. it's a waste of money, they should stick with what they got because they have a good thing going.
Sep 6, 2014 3:41 PM

Jun 2013
By focusing on Japanese Otaku it's also focusing on the weebs. It's a win win.
Sep 6, 2014 3:42 PM

Sep 2013
Yes but its not gonna happen.
Sep 6, 2014 3:43 PM

Jul 2011
Nobody in Jap think about westerns, just in lolis.
Sep 6, 2014 3:43 PM

May 2013
dity said:
catering for no reason is pointless. it's a waste of money, they should stick with what they got because they have a good thing going.

I wouldn't exactly call the current state of the industry a "good thing".
Sep 6, 2014 3:45 PM
Mar 2011
mclovinballz said:

not true as a nation that for the large partof its economy is based on export this is
so wrong

kokkoderrisch said:
With today's anime becoming more niche and homogeneous while focusing on Japanese otaku instead of the mainstream, do you think the anime industry should start catering more towards the international market?

I see it like this; larger install base=more cash=more creativity and risk-taking.

also wrong you only watch late night witch is not mainstream ast all even in Japan so watch prime time anime are you will see there is main stream anime that the west does not import

Mod Edit: Merged double post. Please edit your previous post
TyrelSep 6, 2014 7:29 PM
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 6, 2014 3:45 PM

Oct 2013
They make the most money from otaku, so they'll stay glued to the whims of otaku.
Sep 6, 2014 3:47 PM

May 2013
FGAU1912 said:
kokkoderrisch said:

also wrong you only watch late night witch is not mainstream ast all even in Japan so watch prime time anime are you will see there is main stream anime that the west does not import

Did you even read my post?
Sep 6, 2014 3:47 PM
Nov 2008
kokkoderrisch said:
dity said:

seems to be doing a'ight to be. some of us don't want to be watching every show tackle a social issue every episode, every show, every year *cough*cartoonnetwork*cough*

he's right though, japan has a lot of more popular all-ages anime than you'd think.
Sep 6, 2014 3:48 PM
Mar 2011
Rinth said:
They make the most money from otaku, so they'll stay glued to the whims of otaku.

also wrong prime time naime makes more moany than late night anime total industry profit is only around 10% o from late night aniime
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Sep 6, 2014 3:48 PM

May 2013
Rinth said:

They make the most off of otaku because most of the shows are otaku-pandering.
Sep 6, 2014 3:49 PM

Feb 2013
no they shouldn't
any kind of appealing to a wider audience is bad imo
Sep 6, 2014 3:49 PM
Mar 2011
kokkoderrisch said:
FGAU1912 said:

yes i did and its not japans fault that
1 there is no prime time anime in the us
2 the anime amimed at mainstrem is D O A in the us cuase of this

Sep 6, 2014 3:50 PM

Jan 2008
No. People may buy stuff outside of Japan but not to the same degree, otakus in Japan take it to another level and hated they may be, they keep the companies alive. Making a show that doesn't cater to them is like asking to get payed less.

I've also heard some shows that did good in the west didn't do great in Japan. Trigun for example for a older title and probably shows like Highschool of the Dead, you know, zombies tits and ass.
Sep 6, 2014 3:51 PM

May 2013
dity said:
kokkoderrisch said:

seems to be doing a'ight to be. some of us don't want to be watching every show tackle a social issue every episode, every show, every year *cough*cartoonnetwork*cough*

I'm talking about the unhealthy practices in the industry.
Sep 6, 2014 3:51 PM
Nov 2008
FGAU1912 said:
kokkoderrisch said:

heck, doraemon is being ripped apart for its upcoming u.s. debut. it has like 1000+ episodes and they're only adapting 26 random episodes. i doubt it'll do well.
Sep 6, 2014 3:52 PM

May 2013
FGAU1912 said:

I don't get your point. What are you babbling about?
Sep 6, 2014 3:52 PM
Mar 2011
kokkoderrisch said:
dity said:

its the us industry fault no Japan's fault

Sep 6, 2014 3:53 PM

May 2013
FGAU1912 said:

WTF????
Sep 6, 2014 3:54 PM
Mar 2011
dity said:
FGAU1912 said:

heck, doraemon is being ripped apart for its upcoming u.s. debut. it has like 1000+ episodes and they're only adapting 26 random episodes. i doubt it'll do well.

Thank you for backing up my point up

Sep 6, 2014 3:54 PM
Nov 2008
kokkoderrisch said:
FGAU1912 said:

he's saying that more popular all-ages anime that airs at prime time (say, 6am-9am and 6pm-8pm) isn't brought to the u.s.a. and if it is it is dead on arrival thanks to the fact that weaboos like us are only interested in late-night anime (anime aimed at mid-teens and young adults).
Sep 6, 2014 3:56 PM

Oct 2012
Stop watching otaku pandering late night schlock, koko.

Jeez
Sep 6, 2014 3:57 PM

Mar 2014
FGAU1912 said:
kokkoderrisch said:

When in doubt, blame America.
Sep 6, 2014 3:59 PM
Mar 2011
kokkoderrisch said:
FGAU1912 said:

WTF????

thay have no balls ie the get a roime time anime like One piece for example chop ot up and put it late night when its proper demo are not there to watch it or they put it on a Niche Channel wre prime time anime in Japan is fact on non niche channels ie the one of the big 6 NETWORK tv Channels that everyone get nation wide

Jul 2011
mclovinballz said:
FGAU1912 said:

You should blame Canada

May 2013
dity said:
kokkoderrisch said:

he's saying that more popular all-ages anime that airs at prime time (say, 6am-9am and 6pm-8pm) isn't brought to the u.s.a. and if it is it is dead on arrival thanks to the fact that weaboos like us are only interested in late-night anime (anime aimed at mid-teens and young adults).

But that doesn't really have anything to do with my point...
Sep 6, 2014 4:00 PM
Mar 2011
mclovinballz said:
FGAU1912 said:

China puts more prime time anime on at prime time than the US does

May 2013
mclovinballz said:

I'd say it's more like they really don't care about the rest of the world, but close enough I guess. It's certainly very true.

In any case, until a lot more people from English speaking countries buy stuff from over there, they aren't going to consider us any time soon. We got Space Dandy, but that's already old news, and it ain't likely to happen again any time soon.

May 2013
FGAU1912 said:
kokkoderrisch said:

WTF????

thay have no balls ie the get a roime time anime like One piece for example chop ot up and put it late night when its proper demo are not there to watch it or they put it on a Niche Channel wre prime time anime in Japan is fact on non niche channels ie the one of the big 6 NETWORK tv Channels that everyone get nation wide

You have completely misunderstood me and I'm way too tired to start explaining it to you.
Sep 6, 2014 4:01 PM

Jul 2013
Anime isn't even much of a niche anymore, because of shit like SAO and AoT. If the industry actually started producing good stuff that doesn't pander to everyone's dick then they wouldn't make as much money and the community wouldn't be so atrociously big and mind-numbingly stupid. Don't prioritize quantity, but quality, it's just as simple as that.
Sep 6, 2014 4:01 PM

Mar 2014
FGAU1912 said:
kokkoderrisch said:

WTF????

So what you're saying basically is, that the US is dumb for not investing money into something that won't turn a profit?
Sep 6, 2014 4:03 PM
Mar 2011
kokkoderrisch said:
dity said:

how can they go mainstream if they ownly lincses in away were near is proper form late night otaku pander shows

Japan does have anime that is mainstream its just the west butches is when briugth over Shin chan for exmaple

Sep 6, 2014 4:04 PM

Oct 2013
Reciprocal said:
Anime isn't even much of a niche anymore, because of shit like SAO and AoT. If the industry actually started producing good stuff that doesn't pander to everyone's dick then they wouldn't make as much money and the community wouldn't be so atrociously big and mind-numbingly stupid. Don't prioritize quantity, but quality, it's just as simple as that.

Are You dumb? He's talking about Japanese otaku stuff. Aot, full metal alchemist, even cow boy bebob doesn't pander to Japanese otaku stuff these anime are more towards western Audience.

I don't even understand why you would include those two anime as a example when they're more western like, and not Japanese culture like. No game no life would've been a better example. Hint he's talking about anime with panty shots, big breast, oni chan those type of Otaku stuff.
keragammingSep 6, 2014 4:11 PM
Sep 6, 2014 4:06 PM
Mar 2011
mclovinballz said:
FGAU1912 said:

So what you're saying basically is, that the US is dumb for not investing money into something that won't turn a profit?

is they had balls then maybe risk somthing

like say Nintendo did when they brougth the famicom to the us not know weather it would make a profit or not

Sep 6, 2014 4:06 PM

May 2013
FGAU1912 said:
kokkoderrisch said:

how can they go mainstream if they ownly lincses in away were near is proper form late night otaku pander shows

Japan does have anime that is mainstream its just the west butches is when briugth over Shin chan for exmaple

Japan should start creating anime with a global audience in mind, not some neckbearded otakus. That's my point. Not license primetime anime that's only popular in Japan.
Sep 6, 2014 4:09 PM

Oct 2012
keragamming said:
Reciprocal said:

Are You dumb? He's talking about Japanese otaku stuff. Aot, full metal alchemist, even cow boy bebob doesn't pander to Japanese otaku stuff these anime are more towards western people.

I don't even understand why you would include those two anime as a example when they're more western like, and not Japanese culture like. No game no life would've been a better example.
Heh
Sep 6, 2014 4:10 PM

Mar 2014
FGAU1912 said:
mclovinballz said:

is they had balls then maybe risk somthing

like say Nintendo did when they brougth the famicom to the us not know weather it would make a profit or not
There's a difference between taking a business risk on a product that might sell well, and being dumb enough to risk it on low quality products. Most anime is the latter.
Sep 6, 2014 4:12 PM

Jul 2011
Japan should start creating anime about how they lost in the WW2.
Sep 6, 2014 4:13 PM
Dec 2013
Praland said:
That it's underrated
Sep 6, 2014 4:14 PM
Mar 2011
kokkoderrisch said:
FGAU1912 said:

Japan should start creating anime with a global audience in mind, not some neckbearded otakus. That's my point. Not license primetime anime that's popular in Japan.

there not anime focused on otaku alot of anime is not otaku driven that is what you dont see that

Manga is an different issue altogether and the main reason that manga cannot be seen as mature in a tradioal sesne is the west [ ie the lack of Seinen or Josei tiles that get taken over

i think the us industry is confused
1 one hand they put on most of there stuff on late night
2 they want manga/anime to appel to older people exaple alot of seinen in
Japan it read by people over 25 - 30 range an that is not touched

Sep 6, 2014 4:14 PM

May 2013
Praland said:

Dat sick burn doe
Sep 6, 2014 4:15 PM
Mar 2011
Praland said:

Ketsudan men anyhting to you look it up

Sep 6, 2014 4:15 PM

Mar 2014
Praland said:
Didn't they do one about the Hiroshima bombing while trying to make Japan the victim, even though they are committed a shit ton of war crimes?
Sep 6, 2014 4:16 PM
Mar 2011
Praland said:

disnry should do a movie about the trail of tears realistically

Sep 6, 2014 4:16 PM

May 2013
FGAU1912 said:

there not anime focused on otaku alot of anime is not otaku driven that is what you dont see that

Manga is an different issue altogether and the main reason that manga cannot be seen as mature in a tradioal sesne is the west [ ie the lack of Seinen or Josei tiles that get taken over

i think the us industry is confused
1 one hand they put on most of there stuff on late night
2 they want manga/anime to appel to older people exaple alot of seinen in
Japan it read by people over 25 - 30 range an that is not touched

You're telling me that most of these AREN'T aimed at otakus?
http://anichart.net/summer
Sep 6, 2014 4:17 PM
Mar 2011
mclovinballz said:
Praland said:
Didn't they do one about the Hiroshima bombing while trying to make Japan the victim, even though they are committed a shit ton of war crimes?

like the us have never committed any war crimes im WW2

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What is the most memorable first episode of an anime you've watched?

mahrjose - 3 hours ago

14 by animejas »»
15 minutes ago

» How far are you willing to forgive anime for its obvious (to you) disadvantages?

RobertBobert - 3 hours ago

11 by Nirinbo »»
28 minutes ago

» Why do veteran weebs hate "casuals"?

Clovis - Apr 29

47 by Gensouori »»
38 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - Apr 25

12 by Serafos »»
39 minutes ago

Poll: » Who is your favorite imas secretary?

Shizuna - Yesterday

16 by alshu »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.