Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 26, 2014 4:07 PM

Jun 2014
I don't get the hate for dubs, especially since both Japanese ans English are recorded after the animation is finished. The only difference is when the script is written. Some dubs are bad, some subs are bad, some anime are bad, and some of everything is bad.
I didn't come here to play, I came to win. Now lets play.
Jul 26, 2014 4:14 PM

Nov 2010
Ketsubutsu31 said:
I don't get the hate for dubs, especially since both Japanese ans English are recorded after the animation is finished. The only difference is when the script is written. Some dubs are bad, some subs are bad, some anime are bad, and some of everything is bad.
But the length of the sentences are fit for Japanese and generally the words and or pauses too as the script for the Japanese has to be made before they start animating. And that's not usually why people dislike dubs. It's the quality of the voice acting, the dialouge, how it loses the original references and or culture, etc.
IntroverTurtleJul 26, 2014 4:18 PM
Jul 26, 2014 7:50 PM

May 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
It's the quality of the voice acting, the dialouge, how it loses the original references and or culture, etc.
I would say in the grand scheme of things, all dubs being aggregated, Japanese dubs are on average better, but it's still rather variable, especially nowadays since dubs no longer suck complete ass like they used to. Also Japanese voice actors are waaaaay to over-rated a lot of the time. As opposed to English VAs, who tend to under-act, I find Japanese VAs often over-act, sometimes hilariously so, but often this over-acting is defended as actually being really good for some reason.

Awkwardness in the dialogue due to timing differences in the words can only be overcome if you re-write the script to flow naturally within the time allotted for each line. Sometimes they do, sometimes they sort of do, and sometimes they just translate whatever the Japanese script is and jam it in. There's nothing to be done about the latter other than getting some people with actual writing chops on board to re-write the script in an appropriate manner. Of course being a purist I know that changing the script would offend you but I guess that just shows nothing a dub ever does would please you.

And cultural content...well if you want that then yeah I guess I can't say go dub, unless the show doesn't have such content. Luckily I don't give a shit about that.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Jul 26, 2014 9:37 PM

May 2014
It's so much easier to find subs and so easy to avoid dubs.

Dubs are for people that actually like them. Don't like them? Then don't watch them.
Jul 26, 2014 11:16 PM

Jan 2014
I guess its easier find subtitles animes than dubbed, so whats the matter?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 26, 2014 11:49 PM

Sep 2011
Honestly I don't care about dubs, I personally rarely watch anime dubbed. That doesn't mean that it shouldn't be dubbed. As long as people can enjoy the show I don't really care how they watch it.
Jul 27, 2014 2:50 AM

Apr 2012
Red_Tuesday said:
I find it really hard to avoid dubs. The only tolerable dubs I've ever come across were those of the Haruhi Suzumiya series and movie, every other dubbed anime has ranged from intolerable to infuriating. Worst example is Kokoro Connect, which has such shit English voice actors that it makes my teeth itch and fingernails shiver.

Why are anime dubbed at all, if they can't do a good job?

Nah you just a weeaboo mate. There arent that many bad dubs really. Ive been able to enjoy most of them so far. Granted they wherent for romcoms, its true that Ive seen the worst dubs being made for romcoms and romance anime. But for action anime dubs are pretty damn fine, hell often I like them more than subs. Japanese are good for softer voices, aka romcoms, honestly action anime are better off with english VA since they have more powerful voices.
Jul 28, 2014 4:33 PM
Apr 2014
TheGrandSage23 said:

Lol no the One Piece dub is good and the DB series having a good dub is practically almost considered a fact by everyone... And who the hell cares if the episodes aren't all dub? There's 50 episodes dubbed..

Ugh some of the replies here are really crappy

like yours?

sry but the dub of OP just sounds stupid. not because of the quality of the dub but because it doesn't really fit. should I have added that it was an opinion?

when we are at opinions. sry that I don't care enough about dubs to know what other people think about certain dubs(like DtB dubs). and in case you didn't get what I meant with senseless. If I have to watch another 50 episodes without dubs it doesn't make a difference to me if I watch the first half with dubs or not. that's why it was senseless to me to even continue watching further than the first episode with dubs.
Jul 28, 2014 4:36 PM

May 2014
Dubs hard to avoid? It seems like dub haters are actually looking for them.
Even if the title of a video clearly says ENGLISH DUB you still see people hating on the dub for no other reason than "it's english, so it sucks"
Jul 28, 2014 5:53 PM
Aug 2012
Dubs actually have the advantage in some settings. Buccano takes place in america, hellsing ultimate in europe, Monster also in europe.

Romance dubs can turn our pretty bad though
Jul 28, 2014 6:05 PM
Mar 2013
thegergz said:
Dubs actually have the advantage in some settings. Buccano takes place in america, hellsing ultimate in europe, Monster also in europe.

yea because it makes perfect sense for europeans to speak american english
Jul 28, 2014 6:08 PM

Mar 2013
JD2411 said:
thegergz said:

it makes more sense than japanese and at least the english speakers know how to pronounce a european name
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jul 28, 2014 6:11 PM
Mar 2013
mattbenz99 said:
JD2411 said:
it makes more sense than japanese and at least the english speakers know how to pronounce a european name
no it doesn't make any more sense. and at least the japanese speakers know how to pronounce a japanese name
Jul 28, 2014 6:21 PM

Mar 2013
JD2411 said:
mattbenz99 said:
no it doesn't make any more sense. and at least the japanese speakers know how to pronounce a japanese name
yes it does. if you go to germany which are you more likely to hear japanese or english? also that second point is irrelevant when talking about the shows above
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jul 28, 2014 6:43 PM

May 2014
JD2411 said:
mattbenz99 said:

Why are you changing the topic? Are you afraid to lose the argument?
Jul 28, 2014 7:07 PM
Nov 2013
I really don't mean to be rude, but you must be really stupid if you can't avoid dubs. It doesn't cater to you? Don't watch it. That's why dual audio releases exist :-) complaining about dubs isn't going to stop them from being made.
Jul 28, 2014 7:31 PM

Jun 2014
I like most dubs, but the worst one I've come across is Shounen Onmyouji.

Subs are also pretty good.
Jul 28, 2014 7:39 PM

Mar 2014
Broeksnoek said:
For the most part I do agree. But there are dubs that match the quality of the original. There are even dubs that exceed the quality of the original, but these are extremely rare - Baccano! and Ghost Stories are good examples of the latter.

The Baccano dub isn't very good, though. Most of the characters were so cheesy or generic sounding and some were downright annoying.
The only ones who sounded any good in that version were the voice actors for Isaac & Miria (they were always great, and funny!), as well as a few of the big gorilla-like thugs (which, aren't very complex roles, but they did a good job).
To be honest, though... I haven't seen the Japanese version, so I can't speak to it's quality either.

Now, if you want to talk about English dubs that surpass their Japanese counterparts, let's talk about some Cowboy Bebop.
::End of Transmission::

Jul 28, 2014 10:34 PM

Jun 2014
vigorousjammer said:
Broeksnoek said:
For the most part I do agree. But there are dubs that match the quality of the original. There are even dubs that exceed the quality of the original, but these are extremely rare - Baccano! and Ghost Stories are good examples of the latter.

The Baccano dub isn't very good, though. Most of the characters were so cheesy or generic sounding and some were downright annoying.
The only ones who sounded any good in that version were the voice actors for Isaac & Miria (they were always great, and funny!), as well as a few of the big gorilla-like thugs (which, aren't very complex roles, but they did a good job).
To be honest, though... I haven't seen the Japanese version, so I can't speak to it's quality either.

Now, if you want to talk about English dubs that surpass their Japanese counterparts, let's talk about some Cowboy Bebop.

Or full metal alchemist? What I've seen of the bebop dub is great, but since I haven't seen it yet, the only dub I've seen so far that I think 100% surpassed the original is Fma.
I didn't come here to play, I came to win. Now lets play.
Jul 28, 2014 10:45 PM

Apr 2014
i thought the fate/zero dub was pretty good
Jul 28, 2014 10:50 PM

May 2014
I find It incredibly hard to understand how you can "not avoid" dubs. usually, its the opposite. personally, I strongly prefer dubs (I do, however watch subs on a regular basis) and to be completely honest I get annoyed when people are always talking about how bad dubs are to subs. im not going to go into why on this thread, there are so many dub vs sub threads out there already.

pretty much every anime gets a sub, but only a select group get a dub. how it is possible to "not avoid" them is beyond me. is it really so hard as to google "anime X eng sub" ??
Jul 28, 2014 10:52 PM

Mar 2013
This thread is stupid. I feel like op accidently torrented a dub version of a show got angry and made this thread because of it. It is not hard to avoid dubs if you don't enjoy then and if you are to lazy to avoid them that is your fault.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 5 hours ago

14 by Lucifrost »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

42 by Doutei-kun »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

30 by 707supremacist »»
5 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

61 by billybub »»
11 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 2 hours ago

15 by Spunkert »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.