Forum Settings
Forums

How does Japan view Western Anime fans/Otakus?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 11, 2014 10:24 AM
Nov 2013
Veronin said:
I don't think they care. We have almost no impact on the industry so there's no reason for them to be concerned with us. We have no presence on 2ch and Japanese blogs, anyway, so they probably forget we even exist.

LoL, France and USA?
Jul 11, 2014 12:39 PM

Jun 2012
Im sure Japanese otakus would love us.
Jul 11, 2014 1:13 PM

Nov 2013
Their Otakus would view us as filthy casuals.
Others probably think of most of us as weebs.
This isn't based on anything. I'm just guessing.

I can see you

Jul 11, 2014 1:29 PM
Dec 2013
Im planning on moving to Japan one day...the first thing I will do when I enter Tokio is to run through the streets, sing the opening of DBZ/One Piece/Naruto/whatever out loud while wearing a kimono and eating sushi...I swear I'll do that
Aug 6, 2014 2:00 PM

Jul 2014
MrGoldiii said:
They probably think of us as weaboos.

Anyone who claims do be a otaku IS a weeaboo.

I'm a highly functioning genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist and please get the salt. P.s. Bow ties are cool!

Aug 6, 2014 2:09 PM
Feb 2014
They most likely don't give a flying fuck, view them as irrelevant to the anime industry, not want anything to deal with them, or all of the aforementioned. But hey, it's not like I'm an otaku because I'm a normal person in real life with interests other than just anime, so why the hell should I give a fuck?
Aug 6, 2014 2:25 PM

Mar 2013
MCsq2 said:
As long as they aren't weeaboo they should be fine ._.

Yes this is true.
Aug 6, 2014 2:42 PM

Jan 2014
zetsubousei_hero said:
MCsq2 said:
As long as they aren't weeaboo they should be fine ._.

No this is false.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 6, 2014 5:34 PM

Mar 2014
I was in the same class as an otaku last year. It was weird
Aug 6, 2014 5:38 PM

Mar 2013
Basically just act normal. Most Japanese that love Anime act normal, some don't but some do.
Aug 6, 2014 5:39 PM

Feb 2012
skudoops said:
CrimBlacklotus said:

When people hate nerds, they meant that they hate the anti-social nature of the nerds.

I don't know if this goes under anti-social nature, but they don't hate the anti- social aspects of nerds (I mean, what is there to hate about an anti-social person?). What they do hate is their lack of social skills, which is another thing altogether.

People clearly not having the slightest understanding what anti-social means.
Aug 6, 2014 5:55 PM

Oct 2013
I have a feeling ever since all the otakus and weeaboos popped up they've become ashamed of it, because after all I wouldn't like a bunch of American weeaboos running around shouting KAWAIII DESSUUUU if I was Japanese.

Veronin said:
I don't think they care. We have almost no impact on the industry so there's no reason for them to be concerned with us. We have no presence on 2ch and Japanese blogs, anyway, so they probably forget we even exist.

No impact on the industry? You sure about that?
Mr_HayabusaAug 6, 2014 5:59 PM
Aug 6, 2014 9:26 PM

Mar 2012
I made conversation with a Japanese guy when I went to see the Madoka recap movies. He knew how to speak English but his accent was very noticeable. Generally we just talked about random Madoka related stuff like fan speculations and joking about how the final episode ended up being aired on Good Friday.

Then he said something along the lines of 'Wow, anime seems really popular over here' which of course isn't true but considering how packed the theater was it was an easy mistake to make. When I corrected him on it he mentioned how anime isn't too big for the most part in Japan. When I told him about the people that think anime is the biggest thing over there he just laughed.

Obviously the fact that we made conversation shows that at the very least he was fine with talking to foreigners. Don't know what that says about other people though.
Aug 6, 2014 9:54 PM
Aug 2014
I was talking about this with a friend that visited from Japan about a month ago.

She isn't much of an anime fan, so she doesn't really care much. We both stay up pretty late, but she was talking with friends on the phone in her room, so I went ahead and watched the anime I was working on. I was worried that she'd think I was weird when she saw me watching anime, but she was just like,"oh, that looks like a cute show" and went on with her getting ready for bed business when she finished her phone call.

I asked her if it was weird that I like anime so much, but she didn't think it was at all, really.
Aug 6, 2014 9:58 PM

Dec 2013
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Aug 6, 2014 10:01 PM

Jun 2010
we are all davido-kuns to them
Aug 6, 2014 10:11 PM

Nov 2013
Tachycardic said:
we are all davido-kuns to them

This.
Aug 6, 2014 10:24 PM

Jul 2013
Do Japanese people care if their own celebrities (singer, film star, author, etc) like anime/manga or is it seen as okay because they're famous so whatever. What if it was a North American film star doing like a movie premiere and said he liked Eva or One Piece or whatever (doesn't matter).
Aug 27, 2014 3:17 PM

Jun 2010
CrimBlacklotus said:
SpikeJet2736 said:

I recently saw this video on youtube where this gigantic weaboo talk to these two guys in Japan and they were just constantly making fun of him and him not even getting that they were making fun of him. It was funny

It is not too hard to make fun of Asian guys.. If you know what I mean. :D

Did this weaboo dress unusual or something?

Again I wish I could find the video but I'm pretty sure the weaboo was a dorky looking white guy, wearing an Eva t shirt and he had all these moe posters, body pillows and shit all over his room
Aug 27, 2014 3:22 PM

Feb 2010
SpikeJet2736 said:
CrimBlacklotus said:

It is not too hard to make fun of Asian guys.. If you know what I mean. :D

Did this weaboo dress unusual or something?

Again I wish I could find the video but I'm pretty sure the weaboo was a dorky looking white guy, wearing an Eva t shirt and he had all these moe posters, body pillows and shit all over his room

You mean Davido-kun?

I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 27, 2014 3:29 PM

Dec 2012
KaniowskiKun101 said:
I have a feeling ever since all the otakus and weeaboos popped up they've become ashamed of it, because after all I wouldn't like a bunch of American weeaboos running around shouting KAWAIII DESSUUUU if I was Japanese.

Veronin said:

No impact on the industry? You sure about that?

Otaku is a Japanese term for those who are obsessed with anime and manga on unhealthy level, well to be more accurate it's for every unhealthy obsession no just anime and manga (i.e Train Otaku)

And they probably don't know what weeaboo is.

Yes, the western fanbase has no significant effect or impact on the industry, they are not even acknowledged most of the time.
Aug 27, 2014 3:35 PM

Mar 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

he seems like a nice guy
Aug 27, 2014 3:35 PM

Jan 2014
Japan's opinions are shit and I'm not from the "west" wherever the fuck that is, so I don't care.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 27, 2014 3:41 PM

Aug 2014
Weeaboos.
Aug 27, 2014 4:13 PM

Aug 2014
Like losers.
Aug 27, 2014 4:26 PM

Jul 2013
Ockap1812 said:
Damn, beat me to it. So much cringe in that video.
MinagatachiAug 27, 2014 4:44 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 27, 2014 6:23 PM

Mar 2014
Tankroll said:
Like losers.

This
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Aug 27, 2014 6:41 PM
Sep 2013
hybreezy said:
Do Japanese people care if their own celebrities (singer, film star, author, etc) like anime/manga or is it seen as okay because they're famous so whatever. What if it was a North American film star doing like a movie premiere and said he liked Eva or One Piece or whatever (doesn't matter).

I think celebrities liking famous anime such as Gundam or EVA,One Piece are totally accepted in Japan,maybe it is nerdy hobby but not big deal
Aug 27, 2014 6:50 PM

Jun 2014
Apparently, one of my friends frequents Japan and told me it's frowned upon to say one is visiting for anime.

Aug 27, 2014 6:51 PM
Jul 2018
From my knowledge it's frowned upon.
Aug 27, 2014 8:49 PM
Jun 2013
I am western to Japan........Though i am an Asian ( Indian ).

I watch anime..........may not be a fullfledged otaku......

But i prefer Japanese voice cast more than the dub ones..........

Because of there cuteness.............Japanese is more soothing to ears than most international languages...........espacially the kawaiiii ( Cute ) voices of girls....
Aug 27, 2014 10:28 PM

Jan 2013
Xari said:
Apparently, one of my friends frequents Japan and told me it's frowned upon to say one is visiting for anime.
eh il jst frown right back at them
Aug 27, 2014 10:30 PM
Jul 2013
i dunno I guess crap man
Aug 27, 2014 11:12 PM

Nov 2011
They don't give a shit about us, japaneses are arrogant and racist, they even have a closed society, open your eyes and welcome to reality you stupid weeaboos.
I luv u
Aug 27, 2014 11:48 PM

May 2014
laldonkaments said:
Jaguer91 said:
They don't give a shit about us, japaneses are arrogant and racist, they even have a closed society, open your eyes and welcome to reality you stupid weeaboos.

u just jelly coz japs and us r good ol axis mates duh
As evidenced by the fact that literally every anime that features even a single instance of a European setting or a European character makes them German. Germany Germany Germany it's like the only country in Europe anyone in Japan likes is Germany. I guess no one told them worshiping your old war buddies who also happened to be mass-murdering maniacs makes you look bad. But then again, Japan never wants ot admit they were th ebad guys anyway.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Aug 28, 2014 2:01 AM

Jun 2007
They likely think we're all dirty thieves and/or pirates, even though the English subbing/ripping scene mainly depends on transport streams, BDMVs, and DVD .isos uploaded from... wait for it... Japan!
Aug 28, 2014 2:58 AM
Aug 2013
No one is posting some Beta Cringe pics.
anyway
isn't western "gamer" is the equivalent of "otaku". well anyway. being defined by your hobby isn't a great thing. no not at all.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

3 by FanofAction »»
20 seconds ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

4 by Rinrinka »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

47 by LostSpectre »»
10 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

136 by FanofAction »»
38 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

18 by Vaturna »»
54 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.