Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 7, 2009 10:20 AM

Jun 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

She's finally here.

It's time to get crazy!
Oct 7, 2009 10:25 AM

Jun 2008
They didn't cover as much as I thought they would. I wonder how rushed the next 3 episodes will be.

I'm glad they kept the slap :D
Oct 7, 2009 10:27 AM

Jun 2007
The preview is a good indicator on how far it'll go. Because of that, I knew it would end shortly after the second twilight.
Oct 7, 2009 10:30 AM
Mar 2009
Well I saw the screen caps to this episode, and I'm glad to finally see Eva-Beatrice, she's one of my favorite characters in the show. From what I've heard, they also cut the Beato/Battler clapping contest which sucks really. I'll just wait on the raw to analyze this episode more.
Oct 7, 2009 11:23 AM

Jan 2009
The clap thing would have looked too silly in anime form...

Though they COULD have gone with a "What Do You Mean, It's Not Awesome" scene with them epicly clapping and trying to outdo each other, it wouldn't have fit the feeling of the anime as it is now and the scene was extremely short in the novel anyway.
Oct 7, 2009 11:39 AM

Apr 2007
PsychFreak said:
I'm glad to finally see Eva-Beatrice, she's one of my favorite characters in the show.

WHY
Oct 7, 2009 12:21 PM

Jan 2009
Does Battler have to smack a witch?

Oct 7, 2009 12:29 PM
Mar 2009
Hamel said:
PsychFreak said:
I'm glad to finally see Eva-Beatrice, she's one of my favorite characters in the show.

WHY

Why? Because she's a fucking awesome evil character, that's why. She may be a sadistic bitch but she's fun to watch.

Anyways, I really liked this episode. Aside from not playing "Happiness of Marionette" and cutting the clap scene, I was overall satisfied with this episode. I'm also really starting to like how they're portraying Beato's character, gotta give DEEN props on that. They also did well handling EVA-Beatrice's character, I kind of expected that though. If I'm right, we get Siestas and Gun fights next episode, I look forward to it.
HaiShangOct 7, 2009 12:33 PM
Oct 7, 2009 1:04 PM
Dec 2008
can i get teh link for the raws?
Oct 7, 2009 2:01 PM

Dec 2008
My god, I hated this episode... it made me sick to my stomach.

Not that that will affect the rating, that part was more Ryukishi's fault than DEEN's. The episode itself was well done... but I absolutely despise EvaBeatrice and what happens in EP3 after she appears.
Oct 7, 2009 2:04 PM

Feb 2008
The one scene where Beatrice finishing off the two were quite hard to swallow for me.

But Beatrice going deredere is so moe.
mflatischler.tk - My Manga translations and transcriptions
Anime in Blu-ray
あなたの人種、年齢、宗教は問いません
Oct 7, 2009 2:25 PM

Sep 2007
Downgraded like always but... Moeato~!!
Oct 7, 2009 2:59 PM

Jun 2008
There were a lot of things I liked and a lot of things I didn't like. I thought the torture scene was really disappointing, especially the ocean of jelly. It didn't even look like they died from that one. And there was just one cake and the Happy Birthday to Eva-Beatrice thing seemed kind of silly. No clapping scene, no Happiness of Marionette and am I the only one who thinks Eva-Beatrice's crazy voice sounds wrong? It doesn't even match her face.

But the rest of the episode was fine. I especially liked the part with Eva and Hideoyshi. Eva-Beatrice jumping on the gold and the slapping part made me giggle, Moetrice is sooo moe <3 and the "urusai urusai urusai" was funny. Lambda was pretty adorable too
hirahiraOct 7, 2009 3:17 PM
Oct 7, 2009 5:03 PM

Jul 2009
now this episode is clearly pointing all fingers to Rosa as the prime suspect.
-discoveres gold
-gets kinzo's ring
-becomes the new witch

and just when I was thinking now Rosa is the murderer, even if Maria really died she wont get killed, there she dies but destroying her "own" face in the process.

This all suggests that Rosa indeed fakes death in the first arc, survives in 2nd arc proofing how she cant be the culprit but uses the ring to do murders via servants, then again fakes death in 3rd arc to kill others from the dark (because no servant is left anymore)
If she does fake her own death, the next question would be how? or whose corpse is it? as seeing both in 1st and 3rd arcs Kinzo is burned to death, I can only guess the trick could be there somewhere, even though it should be hard to fake Rosa's death using Kinzo's corpse :-)
i can hardly imagine Rosa had an extra corpse ready from the very beginning....-_-
vinesageOct 7, 2009 5:17 PM
Oct 7, 2009 5:07 PM
Mar 2008
vinesage said:
now this episode is clearly pointing all fingers to Rosa as the prime suspect.
-discoveres gold
-gets kinzo's ring
-becomes the new witch

You mean Eva, not Rosa.
Oct 7, 2009 5:12 PM

Jul 2009
sorry, guess I even mixed up the characters lol...
Oct 7, 2009 8:16 PM

Jul 2008
From the raw, this episode looks great. The pacing seemed perfect, and finally Eva-Beatrice is here :D Some of her facial expressions reminded me a lot of the VN.
Oct 8, 2009 5:12 AM

Oct 2009
MarthX said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

She's finally here.

It's time to get crazy!

No sorry I don't like her. I have questions because this series confuses. This is not Eva but then why she is Eva Beatrice? I also want to know if Battler will become Battler Virgilia to beat that Eva Beatrice? I have serious problem of seeing Maria being like that dead and I also wish to know what killed her?

OmegaDenmad said:

Yes liked that very much.

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Oct 8, 2009 5:55 AM

Jun 2007
francismeunier said:
MarthX said:

She's finally here.

It's time to get crazy!

No sorry I don't like her. I have questions because this series confuses. This is not Eva but then why she is Eva Beatrice? I also want to know if Battler will become Battler Virgilia to beat that Eva Beatrice? I have serious problem of seeing Maria being like that dead and I also wish to know what killed her?

OmegaDenmad said:

Eva Beatrice is Eva.

A younger version of Eva.

How Maria died? If you look at her neck, it looks like strangulation.

The VN says this too.

The cause of death was strangulation. Probably by bare hands.
Oct 8, 2009 6:01 AM

Oct 2009
MarthX said:
francismeunier said:
MarthX said:

She's finally here.

It's time to get crazy!

OmegaDenmad said:

Eva Beatrice is Eva.

A younger version of Eva.

How Maria died? If you look at her neck, it looks like strangulation.

The VN says this too.

The cause of death was strangulation. Probably by bare hands.

Ok but the younger version Eva is actually Eva herself or illusion?
Strangulation? It was not shown well at all. That hurt deep down in heart. I always though Maria was most innocent but also why Beatrice did not keep her promise is most confusing for me.

Oct 8, 2009 6:05 AM

Jun 2007
When Eva solved the epitaph, she succeeded Beatrice. She's the new Beatrice. The ceremony is now all about her. The old Beato is no longer in control of it.

It's pretty obvious that Beato likes Maria and gives her special care. Eva Beatrice doesn't give a damn about her and has no problem killing her off.
Oct 8, 2009 6:10 AM

Jul 2009
francismeunier said:
MarthX said:

She's finally here.

It's time to get crazy!

Eva becomes the new witch because of whats written in the epitaph, she was the first who found the gold. (here you should as well consider Rosa found the gold as well if you going to explain the case non-magical)

Wether Battler will become Battler Virgilia, i cant tell cause I havent read any vn. But it extremely unlikely, and why should he lol? that would be like totally random...

Maria and rosa die because, again according to epitaph, two people who are close are going to die on the 2nd twilight.
Its not "that" important how you see the witch killed maria, but the fatal wound left on the corpse and the place where it is found. base on that, maria is very likely strangled and if you are into any speculating, I would say very likely by somebody she knows.
Oct 8, 2009 6:33 AM

Oct 2009
vinesage said:
francismeunier said:
MarthX said:

She's finally here.

It's time to get crazy!

Eva becomes the new witch because of whats written in the epitaph, she was the first who found the gold. (here you should as well consider Rosa found the gold as well if you going to explain the case non-magical)

Wether Battler will become Battler Virgilia, i cant tell cause I havent read any vn. But it extremely unlikely, and why should he lol? that would be like totally random...

Maria and rosa die because, again according to epitaph, two people who are close are going to die on the 2nd twilight.
Its not "that" important how you see the witch killed maria, but the fatal wound left on the corpse and the place where it is found. base on that, maria is very likely strangled and if you are into any speculating, I would say very likely by somebody she knows.

About Battler Virgilia is because I want him to stop Eva Beatrice, I though that the epitah was over when the gold is found and so are the twilights?
Strangled.....I do not like that. Maria was the least bad of all.

MarthX said:
When Eva solved the epitaph, she succeeded Beatrice. She's the new Beatrice. The ceremony is now all about her. The old Beato is no longer in control of it.

It's pretty obvious that Beato likes Maria and gives her special care. Eva Beatrice doesn't give a damn about her and has no problem killing her off.

So old Beato will have no more roles and all her furniture are now with Eva Beatrice?
I think Eva Beatrice is very cold.

narff said:
Good episode. One unneeded service shot, jelly-thing fail and censoring at one scene. But it still was better than many previous episodes have been.

Service shot? Where?
Censors? Why is I do not understand. C'est vraiment idiot.
francismeunierOct 8, 2009 6:36 AM

Oct 8, 2009 6:40 AM

Jun 2007
Eva Beatrice is very sadistic in a childlike way.

She's given new powers and immediately abuses them, not caring about others.
Oct 8, 2009 7:10 AM

Oct 2009
MarthX said:
Eva Beatrice is very sadistic in a childlike way.

She's given new powers and immediately abuses them, not caring about others.
Well, I hope someone stops her somehow is all I can add to your comment.

Oct 8, 2009 7:18 AM
Aug 2009
Rosa and Eva-Beatrice in the VN:
Oct 8, 2009 9:12 AM

Oct 2009
moldy_tomato said:

Very interesting but the cake and jello are not the same as I see in the VN as I read it. Nice extra info in french I would say: T'es bien super informant ami!

Oct 8, 2009 9:20 AM

Jun 2008
moldy_tomato said:

Still one of my favorite scenes in the VN <3

Though I'm glad the anime used nighteyes instead of Tsuki Usagi no Butou because I'm sick of that song
Oct 8, 2009 1:48 PM

Aug 2008
Gonna be blunt.
What the fuck was that shit?

Beatrice had about 5 personalities and at least 3 distinctly different voices. Why on earth is she all of a sudden concerned with how people look at her? The best I can think of is that the title of Beatrice corrupts the owner, but it didn't seem to look that way with Virgilia, not to mention Beatrice still had the crazy voice.

Maria is clearly an idiot since in the span of however many minutes she saw two different women claiming to be Beatrice and accepted them both. I thought there was going to be some explanation for her idiocy?

Why did Battler ever think that Beatrice was fun? And it's so ridiculous to see an 18 year old struggle with the concept of a metaphor so viciously. Likewise, he already relies on Virgilia a ridiculous amount.

So much bullshit to wade through. The only things I feel like I can take from the episode is that there might be some type of insanity inherent in the family, Rosa is extra suspicious, Eva has now been raised in suspicion, and Maria is one failed synapse from being totally brain dead.

They've lowered the bar.
Oct 8, 2009 2:29 PM

Jun 2007
Not people, Battler. She got depressed because Battler scolded her. There's more to it than that but that's going into spoiler territory.

Battler thinks playing against Beatrice is fun. Having the debates on how the murders were done without magic.
Oct 8, 2009 2:36 PM

Sep 2009
noteDhero doesn't understand a woman's heart at all

She wouldn't want to play against him if she didn't like him. Imagine someone you like slapping you and saying that they don't want to see your face again. It would affect you too.
Oct 8, 2009 2:42 PM
Mar 2009
"Without love, it cannot be seen."
Oct 8, 2009 3:00 PM
Dec 2007
Witch slapping this week!

Hmmm it was quite the confusing episode, but at least there were loads of developments (the biggest one being Beatrice's character development...). I must admit I'm eagerly waiting for the resolution of the Beato/Battler lovers' quarrel and to see what kind of creepy things Eva Beatrice will do.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Oct 8, 2009 3:00 PM

Sep 2008
Uuuuuuuuuuu~
When Beatrice got slapped, I really wanted to hold her in my arms. *sniffles*
She's just so cute.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2009 3:13 PM

Jun 2008
noteDhero said:

Maria is clearly an idiot since in the span of however many minutes she saw two different women claiming to be Beatrice and accepted them both. I thought there was going to be some explanation for her idiocy?

Maybe she just thought that Beatrice changed her form when Eva-Beatrice showed up.

Why did Battler ever think that Beatrice was fun?

There was one really cute scene with them that got cut that happened a little before Beatrice was laughing at Rosa and Maria being tortured. Just when Battler was starting to think she wasn't so bad, he realizes that she really enjoys cruelty so that's why he was so upset.
Oct 8, 2009 3:21 PM

Dec 2007
Good episode, but... curse you, studio DEEN!!
This cheap animation was such a turnoff... if only it was done properly, aaaaarghhhhhh :((((
Oct 8, 2009 3:37 PM
Mar 2009
noteDhero said:
Gonna be blunt.

Beatrice had about 5 personalities and at least 3 distinctly different voices. Why on earth is she all of a sudden concerned with how people look at her? The best I can think of is that the title of Beatrice corrupts the owner, but it didn't seem to look that way with Virgilia, not to mention Beatrice still had the crazy voice.

Beato has the mentality of a child most of the time, she just doesn't have the same values or concepts that Battler does. And she's been seeing the whole meta-game with Battler as really fun, like two childhood friends playing, but that's a whole other topic, so of course she gets upset after this outburst.

noteDhero said:
Why did Battler ever think that Beatrice was fun? And it's so ridiculous to see an 18 year old struggle with the concept of a metaphor so viciously. Likewise, he already relies on Virgilia a ridiculous amount.

Because Battler thought Beato was more of a rival than an enemy as this game progressed like many others have said.
Oct 8, 2009 3:42 PM

Aug 2008
I guess that's fine, but there really is nothing in the content of the show for me to glean that. The relationship seemed more like Beatrice treated Battler as a plaything, and Battler loathes her. He's only expressed distaste for her, and she's constantly calling him a buffoon, not to mention parading him around like a dog at the end of the last game. I can't think of anything shown that would suggest that the two had/have a friendly rivalry born of mutual respect that has been broken in this episode.
Oct 8, 2009 3:43 PM
Mar 2008
noteDhero said:

She accepted them both because they both were Beatrice, the name is just a title that's gotten passed down. Virgilia even said that not two episodes ago.
Oct 8, 2009 3:46 PM
Mar 2009
noteDhero said:
I can't think of anything shown that would suggest that the two had/have a friendly rivalry born of mutual respect that has been broken in this episode.

I guess you can blame DEEN for that. The VN passed it over more smoothly than this and gave more hints at it. Here the hints are really hard to see and some people may not catch it all, therefore being flustered by the events in this episode.
Oct 8, 2009 3:56 PM

Aug 2008
PlatinumHawke said:

She accepted them both because they both were Beatrice, the name is just a title that's gotten passed down. Virgilia even said that not two episodes ago.

The thing is that there is a picture of Beatrice in the manor, and she accepted two Beatrices without hesitation. This leads me to believe that anyone without any costume could walk up to Maria, tell her to close her eyes and pretend to be Beatrice. That's my point.

Also, it's weird that Bernkastel talks about seeing a title passed down as a once in a 1000 year thing, yet we know that this is the second Beatrice in about 50 years.
Oct 8, 2009 3:57 PM

Sep 2007
noteDhero said:
Gonna be blunt.

So much bullshit to wade through. The only things I feel like I can take from the episode is that there might be some type of insanity inherent in the family, Rosa is extra suspicious, Eva has now been raised in suspicion, and Maria is one failed synapse from being totally brain dead.

They've lowered the bar.

This is exactly why I love EP.3.
Oct 8, 2009 3:59 PM
Apr 2009
Wait until later, Maria isn't retarded when it comes to magic.
Oct 8, 2009 4:03 PM

Jun 2007
noteDhero said:
PlatinumHawke said:

The thing is that there is a picture of Beatrice in the manor, and she accepted two Beatrices without hesitation. This leads me to believe that anyone without any costume could walk up to Maria, tell her to close her eyes and pretend to be Beatrice. That's my point.

Also, it's weird that Bernkastel talks about seeing a title passed down as a once in a 1000 year thing, yet we know that this is the second Beatrice in about 50 years.

You're making the assumption that the Beatrice Maria sees is different. Just because we're seeing a different one doesn't make it so. It could be the same one that Maria met in episode 12.
LunarEmeraldOct 8, 2009 4:09 PM
Oct 8, 2009 4:07 PM

Jun 2008
noteDhero said:
PlatinumHawke said:

This leads me to believe that anyone without any costume could walk up to Maria, tell her to close her eyes and pretend to be Beatrice. That's my point.

That could be exactly what happened
Oct 8, 2009 4:11 PM

May 2008
EP3 feels the same to me no matter how many times I watch it.;_;

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Oct 8, 2009 4:12 PM

Aug 2008
MarthX said:

You're making the assumption that the Beatrice Maria sees is different. Just because we're seeing a different one doesn't make it so. It could be the same one that Maria met in episode 12.

And this is the reason why there's no point coming up with theories, like I said last week.
Oct 8, 2009 4:13 PM

Jul 2009
well, I think theres at least a very important comment coming from Rosa this ep.
when eva said rosa could have killed her and gets all the gold, rosa said something like its dumb to kill people over those gold, especially when they are all alone on an isolated island, people going to find out the murderer very soon.
If you consider that motive of murder wasnt only the family heritage, but the gold which nobody is sure of its existence. (there was discussion among adults if the gold really existed, but i cant remember so well how it ended.)

If I make the (temporary) assumption that Rosa found the gold much earlier than Eva, she very probably wont tell anyone. Unlike the heritage which is going to be shared anyway, if no one knows of its existence Rosa will get all the gold.
Base on her split personality she shows to maria, I bet she will be crazy thinking about how to get away with all the gold unnoticed. Somehow she comes to the idea to use the superstitious Kinzo/others have about the witch, it can be the "safer" way to get away with all the gold, and before someone finds out what happened on the island she can make up a witch story with the letter in the floating bottle (last ep 1st arc).

undoubtedly, there are holes in this theory, and it doesnt necessarily need to be rosa who found the gold first. But....
When Eva found the gold, rosa "accidentally" solves the epitaph at the very same time as well and step into that gold room right after eva. especailly when you consider in last ep rosa was dozing off when eva solved the epitaph :) (dont know if thats described in the vn as well..)
This plus the comments Rosa gives in this ep, it certainly suggest Rosa knew about the gold before Eva does. If she wasnt there to prevent Eva from finding gold alone, Eva could have turned out to be "the other" murderer. (taking rosa's place in the theory above...)
Oct 8, 2009 4:15 PM

Jun 2007
Don't trust what you see so much.

We know Maria is dumb but are you naive enough to believe that she's dumb enough that she can't tell Eva Beatrice and Beatrice apart? They don't even wear the same outfit.

Her not saying she looks different or saying she's a different person should have tipped you off.

Gotta try harder than that.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.