Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 20, 2018 6:01 PM

Mar 2009
BigEDMan said:
Can people stop discussing about autism and just enjoy her presence in the anime? O_o
Bringing up autism just makes me think of her in a bad way, so pls nohate.

......She's not autistic

The fact it makes you think of her in a bad way is your own issue, not an issue with Shiina.
May 20, 2018 7:44 PM
Jun 2016
Claptrap said:
BigEDMan said:
Can people stop discussing about autism and just enjoy her presence in the anime? O_o
Bringing up autism just makes me think of her in a bad way, so pls nohate.

......She's not autistic

The fact it makes you think of her in a bad way is your own issue, not an issue with Shiina.

I didn't say it was an issue with Shiina! I was just telling those to stop talking about autism (even if it's true)

May 20, 2018 7:54 PM
Jul 2018
_Dazzle_ said:
However Shiina is so very lucky to have such nice friends who do not take advantage of her and take care of her for FREE because she can barely live by herself and... god forbid is she does, I think she needs a helper for LIFE.

wait what
i'm asperger and no one is taking care of me like an nuisance for the rest of my life, i'm pretty fine on my own

and the personality fits very well
May 20, 2018 9:33 PM

Mar 2009
@BigEDMan

But why should they stop talking about her being autistic if it's true?
Aug 19, 2018 6:01 AM
Jul 2016
Yeah I think she's either somewhere on the Autism Spectrum or has the Savant Syndrome. Anyways, Mashiro best girl
Aug 29, 2018 10:56 AM
May 2018
She's Autistic. No doubt about it. And how should I know, well I only watched to half of episode two, and she reminds me a lot of my brother. My brother is a verbal Autistic. She is easily convinced by things people tell her. She gets shy in public settings and doesn't know common sense. A lot of people who are Autistic accell in certain areas. My brother is hopeless to an extent. His worst category in schooling is spelling and best is math knowledgeable, which is almost below average. He can only handle one thing in his brain at a time and has very little feelings. I don't know her worst thing in schooling is but her best is art. She also has trouble showing her emotions just like him. She doesn't understand how to read emotians. I could go on. But no one would read the rest. I just know she's definitely Autistic.
Aug 29, 2018 10:59 AM
May 2018
Paradoxical12138 said:
HOW DARE YOU INSULT MY WAIFU

She AUTISTIC and it's not really an insult......... I grew up with someone who was AUTISTIC so I would know.
Sep 1, 2018 12:50 AM
Apr 2017
My WAIFU is NOT autistic you take that back
Sep 1, 2018 1:03 AM

Jan 2018
I see so she's autistic. She's special so I still like Mashiro.
Feb 3, 2019 5:44 AM

Sep 2013
If she wasn't autistic she would have just bought Sakura-sou with all that world famous artist money, and not have to bother getting all those signatures.
Apr 5, 2020 7:20 AM
Jan 2019
She's not, it's Dependant Personality Disorder with Savant Syndrome combination.
Apr 6, 2020 1:13 AM
May 2016
IDGAFALs said:
She's not, it's Dependant Personality Disorder with Savant Syndrome combination.

After all these years, there are still people watching this show... I'm touched.

But I agree with your opinion.
Jul 11, 2020 3:49 AM
Jul 2018
Unoriginality said:

savant syndrome is not a stand alone thing, so what you said wouldnt actually be possible.
Savant syndrome only appears when a certain area of the brain is affected by a disability/brain damage. (DPD is not a disability)
From what ive read in the novels she has a really mild case of autism, also from how ppl describe her paintings she likely has synesthesia, wich is a really common in ppl with savantism.
It was also stated that shes been painting before she learned to communicate and express emotion.
Her DPD likely comes from neglect by her parents and over reliance on rita. :]
removed-userJul 11, 2020 3:54 AM
Jul 14, 2020 9:40 PM
Jan 2019
Edge_is_a_weapon said:
Unoriginality said:

savant syndrome is not a stand alone thing, so what you said wouldnt actually be possible.
Savant syndrome only appears when a certain area of the brain is affected by a disability/brain damage. (DPD is not a disability)
From what ive read in the novels she has a really mild case of autism, also from how ppl describe her paintings she likely has synesthesia, wich is a really common in ppl with savantism.
It was also stated that shes been painting before she learned to communicate and express emotion.

It's just my opinion thought, but if you read that from Canon Novel, i can't fight with your argument no more.

Btw, the Novels sucks isn't it?
Jul 16, 2020 2:17 AM

Nov 2016
_Dazzle_ said:
There are many forms of autism, and I think that the genius girl Shiina Mashiro contains symptoms of autism, specifically,

yes of course if you want to look at it through real world eyes, it has also been suggested that she may be suffering from savant syndrome, which is similar to autism, but this anime, if we begin psychologically analyzing characters from anime we will begin to see a pattern of mental illnesses among some of the best characters. when it comes to anime and manga i would not over analyze because you'll begin to open the door to other stuff and see a lot of what i call fuckedupness which includes anything from normalizing rape or sexual assault as just a fetish(which seems to be a problem in japan) to Toxic Masculinity
vanillaskynetJul 16, 2020 2:31 AM
Jul 16, 2020 2:39 AM

Jun 2016
yes, a lovely autistic
Jul 18, 2020 1:09 PM
Jul 2018
Unoriginality said:
Edge_is_a_weapon said:

It's just my opinion thought, but if you read that from Canon Novel, i can't fight with your argument no more.

Btw, the Novels sucks isn't it?

I meam volume 1-6 are nice, then the other volumes go kinda nowhere, they felt rushed and pointless as if the author gave up on them.
Jul 22, 2020 11:30 PM
Jan 2019
It would've been better if the Author ended the novel in the 6 volume. Everything is messed up when i checked some spoiler of the 7-?? Volume.
Aug 2, 2020 4:52 PM
Aug 2020
She is not an autistic kid. Who want prove and reasson contact me here
KobayashiMaru1Aug 4, 2020 1:38 AM
Aug 3, 2020 10:34 AM
Jul 2018
KobayashiMaru1 said:
She is not an autistic kid. Who want real prove and reasson contact me here or on mail venceltomas504@gmail.com

Well i do wanna know what your proof and reason are so plz tell
Aug 3, 2020 12:04 PM
Aug 2020
Edge_is_a_weapon said:
KobayashiMaru1 said:
She is not an autistic kid. Who want real prove and reasson contact me here or on mail venceltomas504@gmail.com

John Nash nobel prize holder act similar as she. He got Paranoid schizophrenia and wasnt autist. I think she is same as Nash but without Paranoid schizophrenia. In movie beautiful mind you can see who he was. I know its not real prove but try to find out documents about his life from his close friends and you ll see similarities.
Aug 2020
Edge_is_a_weapon said:
KobayashiMaru1 said:

John Nash nobel prize holder act similar as she. He got Paranoid schizophrenia and wasnt autist. I think she is same as Nash but without Paranoid schizophrenia. In movie beautiful mind you can see who he was. I know its not real prove but try to find out documents about his life from his close friends and you ll see similarities.
Aug 2020
Edge_is_a_weapon said:
KobayashiMaru1 said:

Aug 3, 2020 4:37 PM
Jul 2018
KobayashiMaru1 said:
Edge_is_a_weapon said:

he acted that way exactly because of his schizophrenia.
Just because they both have such disruptive minds does not mean shes not autistic.
i dont think you understand that autism is on a spectrum, and you likely never interacted with a mildy autistic person before, i would suggest you to understand something before completely denying it.
Aug 4, 2020 1:36 AM
Aug 2020
Edge_is_a_weapon said:
KobayashiMaru1 said:

he acted that way exactly because of his schizophrenia.
Just because they both have such disruptive minds does not mean shes not autistic.
i dont think you understand that autism is on a spectrum, and you likely never interacted with a mildy autistic person before, i would suggest you to understand something before completely denying it.

On my school we have many autistic kids with different level of autism and that the reasson why I dont think She is. And we Can see progress in her lifestyle and behavior. Also we dont know much about her life in England. But we can predict she live many years in isolation on some art collage (bcs that how collage works I am on one) and that could cause her strange behavior. She lived here from very young age. They teach her just about painting not real life. If her dad dont give a fuck about her a wrong training Can cause her acting on start od seasson when She have to start care about herself. In the end she was like normal girl.
Aug 4, 2020 1:43 AM
Aug 2020
yuichi333 said:
Shiina definitely is not autistic. She is only dandere.
yuichi333 said:
Shiina definitely is not autistic. She is only dandere.

She is hard flegmatic
Aug 4, 2020 2:36 AM
Jul 2018
@KobayashiMaru1
Just because she got better doesnt mean shes not austistic.
Mildly autistic ppl usually get better if they are taught, so its not impossible for her to act like a normal girl after so long.
Aug 4, 2020 5:14 AM
Aug 2020
Edge_is_a_weapon said:
@KobayashiMaru1
Mildly autistic ppl usually get better if they are taught, so its not impossible for her to act like a normal girl after so long.
There is no prove She is na autistic just flegmatic what live in isolation with poor knowleadge about real life. And funny we have an argument about 9yo anime 😄
KobayashiMaru1Aug 4, 2020 6:04 AM
Aug 4, 2020 6:15 AM
Jul 2018
KobayashiMaru1 said:
Edge_is_a_weapon said:
@KobayashiMaru1
There is no prove She is na autistic just flegmatic what live in isolation and poor knowleadge about real life. And funny we have a argument about 9yo anime 😄

wdym theres no proof? she fits way too much not to be autistic.
btw why are you so opposed to her being autistic???
Aug 4, 2020 6:47 AM
Aug 2020
Edge_is_a_weapon said:
KobayashiMaru1 said:
There is no prove She is na autistic just flegmatic what live in isolation and poor knowleadge about real life. And funny we have a argument about 9yo anime 😄

wdym theres no proof? she fits way too much not to be autistic.
btw why are you so opposed to her being autistic???

We can more argue about it but i think we are same so nobody of us ll win. And She look so nice and kinde to me not like my ex gf. And why you think she an autist? Bcs I tried to logical prove but I cant change ur mind.
Aug 4, 2020 6:52 AM

Jul 2013
She clearly has Aspergers. She is awkward doesn't read emotion well, and just unaware of most social interactions in general. It felt quite obvious to me she has Aspergers if even just a little bit.
Aug 4, 2020 8:06 AM
Jul 2018
@KobayashiMaru1

That didnt answer my question but sure, heres the symptoms from what i remember of it:<br>
<br>
Speaks in a monotone voice<br>
Needs help getting dressed<br>
Avoids eye contact<br>
Sleeps with knees close to her chest (pressure related stimuly)<br>
Doesnt like wearing clothes (likely cause sensory overstimulation)<br>
Does/Says inappropriate things without thinking of social consequences<br>
Her childish behavior such as the promise she made for a snack in ep5 i think(i dont remember the exact ep but it is before ep 10)<br>
She eats her snack thingy by layers meaning sensory overstimuly<br>
Also theres her eidetic memory, her synestesia and her inability of speaking at young age, these last 3 come from her being a savant<br>
(I might have missed a couple but too tired rn)
Aug 4, 2020 9:41 AM

Feb 2012
Yes she is definitely on the spectrum. Probably not too obvious for some people. But I’ve worked around people on the spectrum before.
Aug 20, 2020 4:49 PM
Jul 2020
MissJiira said:
Tugar said:

I agree with ayuxx here, I feel as if in the beginning it really seemed like she was slightly autistic. She was unable to take care of herself and emotions and proper social skills were all foreign to her. But this could all be due to the fact that she spent years of her life just studying art and painting and not interacting with her peers like normal kids. As the series goes on and she gets more exposure you can really see how she starts to change. Its as if shes maturing more and more socially, just at a later time in her life since she got a slow start.

Speaking from experience I can confidently say Shiina indeed has a form of autism. There are many forms, in which each autistic person could fall into very different ends of the 'symptoms pool'

Two aspergers could be very different just because one has a different and unique set of symptoms compared to the other. So just because shiina doesn't show all the symptoms or specific symtpoms, doesn't mean she doesnt have a form of autism.

With the whole 'learnt to socialize' thing, I can totally vouch for that not affecting her diagnosis at all. In fact, I've been through similar myself. Autism majorly affects social abilities and ones ability to effectively communicate both verbally and nonverbally, and for Shiina this plays a big role in
her relationship with Sorata.

Typical of aspergers/autistic people is that we struggle to communicate effectively. Whether that be speech related or simply not knowing how to touch on these topics, we all struggle.

Shiina as we've seen has blossomed and grown since the first episode in terms of social skills. Does this mean she was never impaired? No. Autistic people if given the time and nurture and a good environment, can and will learn how to overcome their inability to socialize.

The problem isnt that they cant socialize 'end of story' no its more in the learning aspect. I struggled greatly for the longest time and it was obvious to those around me that something wasnt quite right but over time I was given many opportunities to learn and develop my social skills, how to jump the hurdles so I can socialize adequately enough to work well with other's. Now I've reached a point where people can hardly tell that I have Aspergers.

So im just saying, it's not impossible for Shiina to have autism and have learnt how to overcome these obstacles. Of course its not as easy as that, it takes time and even then all the time and nurture in the world cant overcome the issues given because of autism 100% but, it can make life easier.

Seriously though, Shiina has autism. Undoubtedly.

This may be a really late reply, but i did want to add. As someone who has Aspergers syndrome, i can say that i can see alot of how i am in the way she acts. I tend to say things that end up coming out wrong because i think nothing of it when i say it. Common sense i have, but intuition i can't really say i have. The only intuition i have is actually taught theory on how somethings can be felt, basically i have been told how to react in certain situations and i can use the theory and personal experience mixed in to socialize and work normally enough to pass.
Aug 20, 2020 5:07 PM
Jul 2018
I haven't seen the anime, but I've seen clips of it. And from the clips I've seen, I think it's safe to say Shiina is full-blown autistic.
There is a spectrum to autism: there's Asperger, which I think is on the far left of the scale of autism: it's the most subtle. People with Asperger can easily appear perfectly socially well-off.
But Shiina seems to be way beyond Asperger: if I recall right, there was a scene where she wasn't sure which underwear to wear, for example. Also, her inability to read social cues is abnormally bad. Like, many people who aren't on the autism scale have some difficulty reading social cues, but not to this extent, generally speaking.
Aug 21, 2020 2:51 PM
Jul 2018
@AbsurdTurk

sry to say but thats not how the spectrum works, its not a line that goes from least autistic to most autistic, its closer to a radar graph, some have worse traits than others and some have traits that are barely noticeable, it varies on a case to case basis

also shes not full blown autistic, if she was she wouldnt be able to do half of what she can do, her autism is pretty mild as she can function by herself if taught, the more autistic a person is the more help they are gonna need.
Sep 7, 2020 8:53 AM
Aug 2020
I'm not a doctor or a psychiatrist, but I'm pretty sure she has at least one mental disorder.

Why do so many people have problems with it? Can't a person with such an illness have a normal relationship? I was a lot more annoyed with the main character's behavior.

On the other hand, I find Shiina's portrayal really brave.
Oct 4, 2020 12:37 PM
Jan 2015
So, as a dude with High-Functioning Autism / Asperger's Syndrome (an outdated name given the DSM-V), this topic is super interesting to me. I originally watched this in late 2014 - early 2016 and, at the time, just saw Shiina as being 'off' (no offense by the word, I'm just comfortable with being called that myself).

In the time since then, I have heard one or two mentions of Shiina being diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) by non-professionals/those with no type of formal training in psychology or other related fields.

Recently, I rewatched "Sakurasou..." (as in I finished re-watching it about 20 minutes ago) and did so keeping in mind the speculation on this topic (primarily, though I wanted to see how the dub turned out (different topic)). While watching, I got the distinct impression that Shiina was not written INTENTIONALLY as a character with ASD, but might have been given traits that line up with an ASD diagnosis.

(Keep in mind, I am not a professional, I have just lived with MY ASD for coming up on 20 years. Besides that, the closest thing that I can claim gives me ANY foothold here is that my bachelor's degree includes a psychology minor. ASD can manifest in a number of different ways with any combination of its symptoms - some of which might not be shown outwardly - to varying degrees. That's why it is a "Spectrum", after all.)

The DSM-V (The American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, Fifth Edition) provides three areas in which a person must have persistent deficits within to qualify as having ASD:

1. Social-emotional reciprocity.
    - This was clearly visible in her flat demeanor & abnormal social etiquette.

2. Nonverbal communicative behaviors used for social interaction.
    - My understanding of this requirement leads me to believe that Shiina does not have ASD specifically. First, Shiina does not shy away from eye contact unlike what might be seen in a stereotypical case of ASD. Second, her body language rarely - if ever - crossed the line into abnormal. Third, there does not seem to be a deficit in her understanding or use of gestures.
    - The fourth example provided by the DSM-V, however, does not quite align with the previous three in regards to Shiina: "[up] to a total lack of facial expressions and nonverbal communication". Yes, most of the time Shiina displays a face devoid of emotion, but I would not say that she was incapable of showing anything at all. Then again, that excerpt from the DSM-V is describing an extreme end of the spectrum, meaning that Shiina might fit in somewhere just before that, so take from that what you will.

3. Developing, maintaining, and understand relationships.
    - I feel that there is no need to explain that Shiina has clear deficits in this area.

There are further qualifications presented by the DSM-V, however, those are not intended to determine whether a person has ASD, but rather how severe their case may be.

So, yes, that is my unqualified opinion on Shiina's prospects to become the next "Rain (Wo)Man". I believe that she likely does not have Autism Spectrum Disorder, but was written with traits or symptoms that border extremely close to it. That said, with how iffy my judgement was on the "Nonverbal communicative behaviors used for social interaction" area, I would not be suprised to find that my opinion is incorrect. Finally, I do agree with @Bandulf, - and probably many others (I didn't read every post on the thread) - I would be all my money that if Shiina doesn't have ASD, then she does have one or more other mental disorders.

This was a super fun research/writing/reasoning exercise for me, so thanks for reading if you made it this far!!!
Sep 1, 2021 2:14 PM
Aug 2021
this girl is just too saintly she is pure it's pure imagination the author has nothing to do with mental illness
Nov 2, 2021 8:03 PM
Aug 2020
Not.

Interesting forum posts. In the end it seems MAL agrees with [ Tsukinotaku ] .
Mashiro Shiina is # 4 of "Top 20 Kuudere Girls in Anime"
https://myanimelist.net/featured/937/Top_20_Kuudere_Girls_in_Anime__What_is_a_Kuudere

Based on the anime : she's lived a sheltered , nurse-maided life. Anybody would be a little off. She cares, adapts, grows... seems normal, more than some. imho
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best Girl

Shizuna - Mar 23, 2022

29 by Mochi_i »»
Mar 31, 10:42 AM

Poll: » Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Mar 25, 2013

639 by JoaoPedru »»
Mar 25, 12:24 AM

Poll: » Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 11, 2013

227 by JoaoPedru »»
Mar 24, 11:43 PM

Poll: » Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2012

319 by Fadhil01dx »»
Feb 24, 4:09 PM

Poll: » Shiina vs Aoyama ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Genomax - Nov 13, 2012

490 by rishamr »»
Feb 19, 11:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.