Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 2, 2014 6:48 AM

Mar 2014
So I am finishing Gintama in the next few days and I was thinking about starting Hunter x Hunter, since there was a lot of discussion about the previous episode, and it made me curious.

Is it worth it or is it just a typical shounen anime?

I have also heard that Naruto has copied its plot in some elements, and I am watching Naruto, so will it affect my enjoyment?

Thanks a lot and sorry if this has been asked before :)
Jun 2, 2014 7:00 AM

Oct 2012
Hunter x Hunter has a lot of variety when you compare the story arcs. It may seem pretty generic at first, but once you hit Yorknew City arc you cannot stop. It does have few similarities with Naruto, but the execution differs a lot.

So yes, it's definitely worth it. It has the score 8.90 for a reason.
Jun 2, 2014 7:05 AM

May 2014
Hunter x Hunter (2011) is an incredible show. It may seem childish on the outside, but don't let it feel you. Every arc is fantastic (each one gets deeper and darker), and there is some great character development. You'll end up loving all of them! I highly recommend it, its one of my favorite anime
Jun 2, 2014 7:06 AM
May 2013
very deep shounen, excellent series, top 5 ever.
Jun 2, 2014 7:09 AM

Aug 2012
Thread Moved.
Jun 2, 2014 7:19 AM

Jan 2014
just watch, you won't regret it.

About Naruto, it's not copied HxH but just get inspired by it a little. It won't affect your Naruto enjoyment, maybe just feeling "inferior" to HxH.
Jun 2, 2014 7:45 AM

Mar 2014
It's not your typical shonen anime. It's quite masterful.
Jun 2, 2014 7:49 AM

Sep 2013
Its a bit more mature than your average battle shonen.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jun 2, 2014 8:57 AM

Dec 2008
Considering the fact that you like Naruto and Gintama, I'm sure you will enjoy HxH. It has a lot of likeable characters and a quite unique storyline even if it starts off seeming generic, it has a lot of plot twists making it exciting to watch.

Jun 2, 2014 9:08 AM

Mar 2014
the first arc(Hunter exam) is an excellent introduction of the story line. Here, when dreams, friendships and personal goals are built making you stay tuned for more series.
"You cannot make the cold colder and the dark darker"
Jun 2, 2014 10:50 AM

Mar 2010
Hi i started watching hunter x hunter very recently and i had same doubts as you do. Now i have watched it until the latest episode.

Actually, I put the series on hold after episode 1 for like half a year.. lol! That was a very silly thing to do.. Actually at first.. for like 20 episodes it felt like it was a lot like naruto beginning episodes, i had vibes of chuunin exams.. Even some characters are similar :D (i am not going to say who, but it feels like one character from Naruto has split into two different characters in HxH, haha)

but then at some point after episode 20 it starts to get deep..it has vibes like death note (lets just say it gets serious and darker, in a cool way).. and this show does one remarkable thing, as someone already stated here: it has a lot of variety. It has very good pacing as well. I just love the recent episodes.

So definitely give it a try, and you may even start to like it more than Naruto.
LylaazJun 2, 2014 10:56 AM
Jun 2, 2014 11:18 AM
Jan 2014
You'll have to wait for a long time for this series to finish though. HunterxHunter is a great series that leaves you wanting more, but the problem is that your insanity will be effected with the waiting of new content.
Jun 2, 2014 11:25 AM

Jan 2014
I'm only 4 episodes into Hunter x Hunter, and it's addicting as hell so far. Nothing crazy has happened, but it's dragged me in. Plan on continuing it soon.
Jun 2, 2014 12:14 PM

Jan 2012
Hunter x Hunter gives off a lot of cliche vibes in the beginning but you'll realize how intellectual the series becomes the more you watch. I would say the friendship aspect of this anime is done really well.So yeah just watch the shit out of it.. lol
Jun 2, 2014 12:14 PM

Jul 2007
lebron181 said:
You'll have to wait for a long time for this series to finish though. HunterxHunter is a great series that leaves you wanting more, but the problem is that your insanity will be effected with the waiting of new content.

Yes but the place they chose to finish it is very fitting for an anime only ending and definitely resolves some of the major plot points since the beginning. Not only is it a great series, but its also one of the best adaptations you'll find. For an anime only viewer, you will feel content and fully satisfied once its over.

Jun 2, 2014 12:59 PM

Jan 2014
It's kind of different from shone altogether if that's your preference, it focuses on characters and story and the fights are strategic, which is imo why early naruto was good, because it was inspired by HxH rather than Dragon Ball.

So it should be fun I guess.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 2, 2014 1:29 PM

Mar 2014
Thanks everyone I will start it this week :)
Jun 2, 2014 1:35 PM

Aug 2011
You won't regret it.
Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your Poker Face.~
Jun 3, 2014 7:05 AM
Jan 2014
link9us said:
lebron181 said:

Yes but the place they chose to finish it is very fitting for an anime only ending and definitely resolves some of the major plot points since the beginning. Not only is it a great series, but its also one of the best adaptations you'll find. For an anime only viewer, you will feel content and fully satisfied once its over.

So the anime is just going to ignore the DC arc altogether and do the same thing that happened in original hunter x hunter anime?

That's a deathblow to the manga fans who want to see the whole series be animated.
Jun 3, 2014 7:25 AM

Jun 2011
lebron181 said:
link9us said:
lebron181 said:

So the anime is just going to ignore the DC arc altogether and do the same thing that happened in original hunter x hunter anime?

That's a deathblow to the manga fans who want to see the whole series be animated.

It's a pretty undeniable fact that Togashi will not be able to produce enough manga chapters to sustain the anime in this run. Madhouse will likely end the anime after the next arc and since it's Madhouse, they will also probably produce a sequel when there is enough manga chapters to adapt (but who knows how long that will take?).
Animelist」 ♪「 Mangalist 」♫
[/size]

Jun 3, 2014 9:14 AM

Mar 2014
lebron181 said:
link9us said:
lebron181 said:

What's stopping them from animating the DC arc once enough content has been published? And like I said, as a manga reader, I thought the end of the Election Arc was a very fitting ending for the arc, especially in making it seem like a complete series.

Jun 3, 2014 9:56 AM

Jan 2013
What's with manga fans telling people the anime won't have a proper ending? My friend refused to watch this anime because someone told her it would end abruptly. Took me days to convince her otherwise. Next arc is a good place to end it. Madhouse can animate the new content a few years later, like they did with Hajime no Ippo.
Jun 3, 2014 9:59 AM

Mar 2014
It doesn't end abruptly.
Jun 3, 2014 10:28 AM

May 2012
WATCH IT! You won't regret watching Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Jun 4, 2014 7:18 AM

Sep 2011
Not a typical shounen. That's why I think most parts will bore you and your friend.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kefkiroth - Jan 14, 2012

108 by Nerdason »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Ollyx2OxenFree - Jan 7, 2012

135 by Nerdason »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 91 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

247Eyes - Aug 3, 2013

323 by CyanGear »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Knave - Dec 24, 2011

148 by Nerdason »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

fishergirl16 - Dec 17, 2011

108 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 5:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.