Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 24, 2009 5:58 AM

May 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Ball underway. So the other pureblood disappeared from the drawing room, which is exactly where Yuuki and her friend are gunna be.
Sep 24, 2009 6:08 AM

May 2007
Hmm...yet another set up chapter, although this chapter did have its useful information.

Psh, serves Yuuki straight. Trying to act like nothing happened between her and Zero. I'm happy Zero shoved her off like she was nothing (well, of course she isn't), but I'm sure Zero wants no part do with Yuuki at the moment. Of course, I want Zero to cock his gun to every vampire and shoot them in mercilessly, but that's more of a personal dream. Hehe.

Anyway, with all this talk about the other vampires attacking purebloods and vampires having a fresh scent of blood on them, it makes it likely that something outrageous is going to happen by the end of this ball. And I'm also interested in seeing Sara and Kaname talk.
Sep 24, 2009 6:26 AM

Aug 2007
it was a pretty informative chapter, and it seems like a new arc is beginning soon. great to see zero and yuuki meet again, and their moment of interaction makes me shudder for some reason. :/

p.s: kaname doing yuuki's pedicure in the beginning looks mightily weird for some reason

Sep 24, 2009 6:44 AM

Aug 2007
Heh Zero <3 should have shot a vampire or yuuki haha.
Sep 24, 2009 10:09 AM

Apr 2008
Oh damn, is Yuuki really still thinking about Zero? I though she was over it already ¬¬

Anyway, nothing much happened, let's see what's coming for next chapter..
Sep 24, 2009 10:24 AM

Apr 2009
Lumi-chan said:
Oh damn, is Yuuki really still thinking about Zero? I though she was over it already ¬¬

Yeah... >_<

I really loved the chapter... It was interesting and It had some interesting information^^

But now I'm very confused about Sara...Oo
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Sep 24, 2009 10:27 AM

Jan 2008
gotta love zero for being the way he is. i was like "GO ZERO~!" when he quickly got rid of yuuki's hand. you know what, i am determined to wish that yuuki winds up alone because now i beyond know that zero deserves much, much better. so, let's all watch yuuki pine for zero, shall we? and have HER heart crushed =D
Sep 24, 2009 10:37 AM

Apr 2009
AoiMemori said:
so, let's all watch yuuki pine for zero, shall we?

Erm....no.
Cause that would make Kaname suffer too... :(

And btw, HE WAS SO HOT IN THIS CHAPTER <333 *fangirl scream* -^^-
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Sep 24, 2009 11:14 AM

Dec 2008
Yuppie!!

Sara is going to try to kill Kaname!! Banzai!!

Finally some action <3 <3
Sep 24, 2009 11:23 AM

Apr 2009
Aureole said:

Sara is going to try to kill Kaname!!

Are you sure?Oo
And why are you so happy about it? OO
XD
deadoptimist said:
Sep 24, 2009 12:08 PM

Dec 2008
That second pureblood who was there... Disappeared and left only the scent of blood.

Yuuki felf different kinda blood around Sara-sama...

Kaname wants Yuuki to be away from him when he "talks" to Sara...

Yup, 2+2=4, Sara is planning to kill Kaname.
I think we'll have #1 Hero moment and Zero'll decide to help Yuuki protect Kaname.... For damn Yuuki's sake of course...
*fangirl mind still making new scenario*
Sep 24, 2009 12:11 PM

Aug 2009
I rated it a 5 'cause of a) Zero shoving Yuuki's annoying nothing-has-changed gesture and b) Zero looks great (as always).

Oh and a bit more of Aidou and Kain! ;__; Missin' that crew. *holds tightly Takuma, Shiki and Rima in fear of Sara havin' done somethin'*

Somehow I got myself thinking "could it be Sara ain't really that evil?" her facial expressions when hearing about that other pureblood, I couldn't understand. xD

This whole pureblood vs less pure vampires society thingie makes me slightly annoyed. The almighty and "good" intentioned pureblood royalties are only victims of the vampires who yearn for power. *cough* That THEY created from beginning on.
I know Hakura and Juuri were pretty much shown as the ultimate good guys, but is this really it. Do not the royalties have dark pasts themselves? Are only the vampires yearning for power, are they the only ones at fault here? I wanna know if the purebloods really are goin' to be shown as the "pure" ones, or if it's something dark hidden.
If anyone knows what I mean. -__-
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!

Sep 24, 2009 12:16 PM

Dec 2008
Good chapter for a set up chapter and seems like things are going to get interesting soon enough (with the missing pureblood, the faint scent of blood, and Kaname's talk with Sara). Curious to see how the events are going to unfold and the conclusion of the ball.
Sep 24, 2009 12:51 PM

Jan 2008
GothicQueen said:
AoiMemori said:
so, let's all watch yuuki pine for zero, shall we?

Erm....no.
Cause that would make Kaname suffer too... :(

yeah... couldn't care less about kaname. so if he suffers too, all the better =D
Sep 24, 2009 1:33 PM

Aug 2007
um... I don't think Sara is going to try and kill Kaname XDD Zero and Yuki are bound to have another interaction. Yuki was so effing annoying this chapter -___-;

I was like "WHOOT go Zero<3"

geez Yuki, if you still feel something for Zero then that means you chose the wrong person XDD
Sasusaku OTP~
Oldrivalshipping FTW~

Sep 24, 2009 2:02 PM

Nov 2008
Yuuki has become too cold for my liking -.- I liked her a lot better before =/
I knew Zero would do something like shoving Yuuki's hand off xD (I think Yuuki knew that too…)
Yori was the best in this chapter XD I really like her! :D And of course Aidou and the others,too <3
I thought Sara has killed this other pureblood,hasn't she? Oo And Kaname won't die on us this easily (don't know if this is good or bad,though ;P)

I really want to know what Yori and Yuuki and Kaname and Sara will talk about. >.<

Sep 24, 2009 2:09 PM

Sep 2008
...le sigh.
Soo, what else is new?

And what's that about Sara killing Kaname? ... :D!!
pshh, I wish, right?
Sep 24, 2009 2:35 PM

Nov 2007
Vampires are scary...

Yori's in danger and Zero saved him from Sara, then Yuuki met her, too. Kaname arranged for Yuuki to meet with Yori for an hour.

Yuuki's thinking about the moment when she slightly touched Zero to let Sara go.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 24, 2009 3:54 PM

Oct 2008
lol!Zero fangirls.

Also, I wonder what Sara will do...
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Sep 24, 2009 5:00 PM

May 2007
Hm, other pureblood vampire was last seen in the drawing room, where Yuuki is now? Not good.

Sep 24, 2009 5:04 PM
Jan 2009
ooof...

Ok... come on, everyone has just got to see how warped Kaname is with Yuuki...

I can enjoy a good oniisama story with the best of them, but it looks like that guy has spent the last year reducing Yuuki to emotional jelly with forced seclusion and over-bearing "concern" and she's gone along with it (which doesn't make me a Yuuki fan any longer)...

Masochistic fans of Kaname are irksome.
Sep 24, 2009 6:25 PM

Dec 2008
ah_18 said:
This whole pureblood vs less pure vampires society thingie makes me slightly annoyed. The almighty and "good" intentioned pureblood royalties are only victims of the vampires who yearn for power. *cough* That THEY created from beginning on.
I know Hakura and Juuri were pretty much shown as the ultimate good guys, but is this really it. Do not the royalties have dark pasts themselves? Are only the vampires yearning for power, are they the only ones at fault here? I wanna know if the purebloods really are goin' to be shown as the "pure" ones, or if it's something dark hidden.
If anyone knows what I mean. -__-

I think I know what you mean.

I liked various aspects of this chapter, but the whole Purebloods v.s. Power-hungry nobles part annoyed me just a bit. It almost felt like Hino-sensei wanted to play the sympathy card, to get us to like Kaname and Yuuki because they appear to be the ultimate victims in the drama that is Vampire Knight. Don't get me wrong - they are victims, but as ah_18 pointed out, don't the Kurans have dark pasts, as well? The whole "the nobles are out to get us" bit seemed to be an attempt to justify Kaname's actions in the past (e.g. massacring the Genrouin). Moreover, if there are vampires who are as loyal to Kaname as Aidou, Ruka, and Kain, it seems a bit weird to see just those vampires who are the opposite, almost as if it's just "black and white" with no in-between shades of grey.

In any case, I hope Hino-sensei delves more into that, because if it's as simple as that, then I'd be very disappointed.

Well, I'm rambling a bit. For the chapter as a whole, I rather liked it, but as others have said, it was mostly a build-up chapter. I have a feeling hell will break loose soon enough, so I'm looking forward to that. As always, Sara was amazing being her creepy, smiling self. I like her subtlety a lot more than the more obvious creepiness of the nobles shown in this chapter. I loved Zero, as well, mostly because of the little things he did in this chapter as much as the big things - it's obvious he's conflicted about so many things in this situation, and it rather suits his character. I'm a little ambivalent about Yori. I don't know if I should admire her for her courage or be baffled at her cluelessness of the danger of her situation. I feel like Yori is being used by Hino-sensei as much as Kaito as a means to advance the plot rather than Yori developing as a character for her own sake.

Oh well, we'll see what happens, I guess. I might be over-thinking things =/
Sep 24, 2009 8:16 PM

Jan 2008
Well yay that Zero blew Yuuki off.
Now Yuuki might finally realize that Zero is the wrong choice and she'll be with Kaname. :3

Doubt it. :/
The chapter was okay, but this arc seems to be dragging on imo.
Sep 24, 2009 9:31 PM

Nov 2008
Damn straight, he shoved that dirty, pureblood, incest ridden hand off.

Bitch.

Zero was full of hawt though.
<div style="text-align:right;">1copy.jpg</div>
Sep 24, 2009 11:28 PM
Oct 2008
When I read this chapter, AHH. I got so mad! Seriously Yuuki, it's been a whole year and you are still missing Zero? God bless Zero for being so cold against her. She deserves it. Anyway, for some reason I loved Sara. She was so cute, lol.
Sep 25, 2009 12:07 AM

Jun 2009
Aeterna said:

I liked various aspects of this chapter, but the whole Purebloods v.s. Power-hungry nobles part annoyed me just a bit. It almost felt like Hino-sensei wanted to play the sympathy card, to get us to like Kaname and Yuuki because they appear to be the ultimate victims in the drama that is Vampire Knight. Don't get me wrong - they are victims, but as ah_18 pointed out, don't the Kurans have dark pasts, as well? The whole "the nobles are out to get us" bit seemed to be an attempt to justify Kaname's actions in the past (e.g. massacring the Genrouin). Moreover, if there are vampires who are as loyal to Kaname as Aidou, Ruka, and Kain, it seems a bit weird to see just those vampires who are the opposite, almost as if it's just "black and white" with no in-between shades of grey.

lol, I'm not really sure how you can possibly say that things are black and white in VK morally speaking because all I see are shades of gray. I can sort of understand how you could say that this chapter has been unfairly biased against the noble vampires but Kaname's night class noble vampires weren't evil so obviously Kaname is making a generalization so Yuki will keep her guard up. Your also forgeting that the first vampire that wanted to drain Yuki was Rido who was a pureblood and he also drained other vampires as well. The only reason Yuki and Kaname don't want to drink the vampire nobles blood is because they would rather have each others blood. Yagari even mentioned that even the humans wanted to drink the night classes blood so they could would get their longevity.

What I could see is you mistaking the two different sides as being good and evil. But of course there are vampires of all levels and even vampire hunters on both the royalist and genrounist sides too so you can't divide them that way. The royalists can't even claim the moral high ground because Kaname is so manipulative and generally has to use a lot of underhanded tactics to gain pawns to use in his game. He also severely sets back the chairmans attempt to get peace between humans and vampires. Not to mention that it is also pointed out several times that by destroying the council he has unleashed all the vampires it previously had kept in check on the humans. Really the two sides are much more of a them vs us than a good vs evil.

dury said:

I can enjoy a good oniisama story with the best of them, but it looks like that guy has spent the last year reducing Yuuki to emotional jelly with forced seclusion and over-bearing "concern" and she's gone along with it (which doesn't make me a Yuuki fan any longer)...

Masochistic fans of Kaname are irksome.

And this is an excellent example of why a chapter to cause readers to sympathize with Kaname and Yuki is necessary. The past 5 chapters or so have been mostly devoted to demonizing Kaname and Yuki for accepting him and also for both of them wanting to exsanguinate the other. Also I'm not sure why Dury picked the chapter in which it is explained why letting Yuki near other vampires might be bad for her health to criticise Kaname for keeping her secluded. Personally I like Kaname because even if half of the other charaters all died at the same time (including Yuki AND Zero) the plot could still move forward fairly easily. In fact I'm half hoping that happens very soon because this stupid love triangle which I thought had been taken care of 8 chapters ago when Zero told Yuki that he would kill her D:< is starting to get boring and stale.
DrHouseSep 25, 2009 12:18 AM
Sep 25, 2009 5:09 AM

Apr 2009

I was going to write a very long reply to this, but I don't wanna bug anyone.
So I'll just say that in my opinion, you just dislike/hate/whatever Kaname and that's why you're being subjective, and not thinking it through...
(no offence or anything Oo)
deadoptimist said:
Sep 25, 2009 5:36 AM

Aug 2009
It's not like that GothicQueen. I dare to say that I and Aeterna are making attempts to understand the plot better, and it's good some do try to explain it from more angles, like DrHouse. I'ts not all about Kaname. :)

I liked DrHouse's post, 'cause then it got me thinking "black and white" is probably the wrong wording for all this, "Really the two sides are much more of a them vs us than a good vs evil." yes, that sounds rather right.

If anything, I wonder if Sara is going to be kept as a "villian", like Shizuka and Rido was a villian and if this new pureblood is that too... It would make once again, the two rightful (to one another, like Juuri and Hakura) Kurans become the "true" purebloods and on, more or less, the "good" side (which includes the humans who want peace).

Btw, why does Sara (and Shizuka) have another lastname although she is a pureblood? Maybe it's a stupid question, but still, if anybody cares to explain?

One more note to DrHouse,'s post -haha, it would take an essential plot ingredient if there wasn't this love triangle anymore. And from greatest love comes greatest hate (like in Skip Beat! xD) so truth is, although Zero said he'd kill her, it doesn't make the love die.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!

Sep 25, 2009 5:52 AM

Apr 2009
I see great potential in YorixZero. I have spoken.

PLEASE LET IT BE YORIxZERO IN THE END.

Starrlightx3 said:
And what's that about Sara killing Kaname? ... :D!!
pshh, I wish, right?

...a dream come true?

GO ZERO. Let her know her place.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Sep 25, 2009 6:17 AM

Apr 2008
Cenedess said:

Since Yuuki left that I see a whole lot of potencial in those two.. x3
I actually believe it's the only couple I'm really rooting for.
Sep 25, 2009 6:33 AM

Dec 2008
DrHouse said:
Aeterna said:

lol, I'm not really sure how you can possibly say that things are black and white in VK morally speaking because all I see are shades of gray. I can sort of understand how you could say that this chapter has been unfairly biased against the noble vampires but Kaname's night class noble vampires weren't evil so obviously Kaname is making a generalization so Yuki will keep her guard up. Your also forgeting that the first vampire that wanted to drain Yuki was Rido who was a pureblood and he also drained other vampires as well. The only reason Yuki and Kaname don't want to drink the vampire nobles blood is because they would rather have each others blood. Yagari even mentioned that even the humans wanted to drink the night classes blood so they could would get their longevity.

What I could see is you mistaking the two different sides as being good and evil. But of course there are vampires of all levels and even vampire hunters on both the royalist and genrounist sides too so you can't divide them that way. The royalists can't even claim the moral high ground because Kaname is so manipulative and generally has to use a lot of underhanded tactics to gain pawns to use in his game. He also severely sets back the chairmans attempt to get peace between humans and vampires. Not to mention that it is also pointed out several times that by destroying the council he has unleashed all the vampires it previously had kept in check on the humans. Really the two sides are much more of a them vs us than a good vs evil.

Actually, I wasn't even thinking about "black and white" in terms of "good and evil" or morality xD I was speaking more along the lines of "them v.s. us" that ah_18 mentioned. I'm sorry if I made that unclear - I was running on very little sleep when I wrote up that post (and still sleep-deprived, but I'll try clear up what I said earlier).

The way I saw it in this chapter was that Hino-sensei was simplifying the way the nobles are in respect to the Purebloods. On the one hand, you have the small minority that are truly Kaname's friends and the ones he can trust, but on the other hand, you have the nobles we saw in this chapter, the ones who are out to use Purebloods for their own benefits. I highly doubt, in my own imagination, that the vampire society is divided that simply, but I still feel that this is the way Hino-sensei chose to portray it and I think it irked me a bit because it is simple. Where are the vampires who may be "sitting on the fence" and don't know which side to choose, for example? Maybe there's a vampire who Kaname thinks is loyal but who may betray him given the right incentives (like Judas Iscariot, if you'll allow me to make a Biblical comparison)? Like I said, I hope Hino-sensei develops this society further, because if she leaves it like this, I will be very disappointed.

Still, I was only pointing out the "this chapter justifies Kaname's actions" bit because of that seemingly strict division between the "them v.s. us". That whole, big group of nobles who have no good intentions for Kaname and Yuuki make it seem like we should like them due to sympathy. I don't exactly find this to be the greatest method of trying to get people to like certain characters. Sure, it can help their cause, but in the end, I'd rather see good character development and such. For example, I don't like the way in which Yuuki's character has developed since the end of the Ridou arc, and playing up my sympathy doesn't change that view that I have of her and, actually, only served to annoy me (hence, the reason why this aspect of the chapter I felt was poorly done).
Sep 25, 2009 6:38 AM

Apr 2009
ah_18 said:
It's not like that GothicQueen. I dare to say that I and Aeterna are making attempts to understand the plot better, and it's good some do try to explain it from more angles, like DrHouse. I'ts not all about Kaname. :)

I know. And I never said that (:
But I still think that you should think about it a bit more, and maybe compare it to the real world.
(I know, It's fiction, and they are all vampires, but what I'm saying is, people tend to hate whoever is better than them in some way. And (some kind of) power was always the cause of wars and stuff in the reality. And about that "purebloods being great and other vampires being evil" thingy... Just look at Rido and Shizuka... :/ XD So yeah, everyone can't be the same. There are always "good" and "bad" ppl. But a person can't be all perfect. Everyone has a darker side to themselves, and It's the decision whether they will or will not show it that counts (omb, I'm so full of cr*p...Oo))
Aeternap said:
The whole "the nobles are out to get us" bit seemed to be an attempt to justify Kaname's actions in the past (e.g. massacring the Genrouin).

Hm, no, not really. You can never justify murder, but every big change was followed by a bloodshed.
There's no way that he could actually make a difference If any of them was left alive. It might sound cruel, but that's they way it is. :(

(I would normally never support that, but none of this is real anyway so...XD)

However.
I'm not trying to make you sympathize with Kaname just cause I do. That wasn't my point. I' always trying to be objective and see the situation from every point of view (just cause I won't post some of It, doesn't mean that I can't see it XD)

ah_18 said:
Btw, why does Sara (and Shizuka) have another lastname although she is a pureblood? Maybe it's a stupid question, but still, if anybody cares to explain?

There isn't only one Pureblood family^^
There are more, that's why they have different last names^^
deadoptimist said:
Sep 25, 2009 7:01 AM

Apr 2009
Lumi-chan said:
Cenedess said:

Since Yuuki left that I see a whole lot of potencial in those two.. x3
I actually believe it's the only couple I'm really rooting for.

Same here. Rima(or what's her face)xSenri somehow doesn't make me squeal, YuukixKaname simply squicks me to no end, and the rest...I don't think there are any more o.O

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Sep 25, 2009 7:12 AM

Dec 2008
Cenedess said:
Same here. Rima(or what's her face)xSenri somehow doesn't make me squeal, YuukixKaname simply squicks me to no end, and the rest...I don't think there are any more o.O

KainxRuka? D:

GothicQueen said:
Aeterna said:
The whole "the nobles are out to get us" bit seemed to be an attempt to justify Kaname's actions in the past (e.g. massacring the Genrouin).

Hm, no, not really. You can never justify murder, but every big change was followed by a bloodshed.
There's no way that he could actually make a difference If any of them was left alive. It might sound cruel, but that's they way it is. :(

(I would normally never support that, but none of this is real anyway so...XD)

However.
I'm not trying to make you sympathize with Kaname just cause I do. That wasn't my point. I' always trying to be objective and see the situation from every point of view (just cause I won't post some of It, doesn't mean that I can't see it XD)

I was using the Genrouin massacre as an example (that Kaname's actions are seemingly justified by his situation related to the power-hungry nobles we saw in this chapter), but in any case, I'm not so sure how limited Kaname was in his choices but there probably were other options other than simply killing the Genrouin. But, then again, I don't have a very intimate view of the world of VK - I can only comment on what Hino-sensei chooses to show us of her world - so it's a bit hard to argue on ^^
Sep 25, 2009 9:01 AM

Feb 2009
Kamadaki said:
Damn straight, he shoved that dirty, pureblood, incest ridden hand off.

Bitch.

Zero was full of hawt though.

Hell yeah! I used to like Yuuki a lot but meh, she's just straight up annoying now. She's basically Kaname's obedient little bitch. Although, I still hope she realizes Kaname's a douche by the end of the manga and get back with Zero. I wouldn't mind the whole ZeroxYori pairing though either.

And I totally agree on KainxRuka, you can tell he's totally in love with her or at least cares deeply for her. I hope to god they get together, I feel bad for Ruka.
Sep 25, 2009 2:11 PM

Aug 2009
GothicQueen said:
ah_18 said:

I know. And I never said that (:

You did imply we "were subjective due to our dislike/hate whatever" towards Kaname. Although it was about all purebloods vs less pures. But anyways, it's not even an issue, I'm a Zero-supporter and I have my dislike for Kaname, but it was this typical cliché (for me personally) that I talked about in my previous post (#28, piece 3) that makes me twitch.

GothicQueen said:
ah_18 said:

I know there are several families yet.. Aren't purebloods meant to have intersibling marriages, 'cause even though Shiki has a pureblood father, he is considered only a noble. It just got me thinking why not all purebloods are Kurans, if the first vampire ever was a Kuran and then they had sibling marriages. Were more vampires created afterwards, without the first ancestor to bite them, but by own (some weird) means like it happened for the first one? Maybe we'll find out later.

Sep 25, 2009 2:16 PM

Nov 2008
Cenedess said:

Amen to that :D
(Though, I like the idea of AidouxYori too. 8D)

Sep 25, 2009 2:59 PM

Apr 2009
Aeterna said:

KainxRuka? D:

Huh? D: Ruka wanted Kaname...

ahin said:
Cenedess said:

Amen to that :D
(Though, I like the idea of AidouxYori too. 8D)

Wouldn't be bad either 8D
CenedessSep 26, 2009 12:28 AM

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Sep 25, 2009 4:45 PM
May 2008
are you kidding me?
nothing happened!
but i am interested in what Sara's up to... and really what Kaname is up to too.
Sep 25, 2009 10:35 PM

May 2009
Hm. I guess I expected Zero and Yuuki's reunion to be a bit more dramatic. Okay chapter, though. Who was the other pureblood they were talking about?
Sep 26, 2009 1:35 AM

Jun 2009
Aeterna said:
Still, I was only pointing out the "this chapter justifies Kaname's actions" bit because of that seemingly strict division between the "them v.s. us". That whole, big group of nobles who have no good intentions for Kaname and Yuuki make it seem like we should like them due to sympathy. I don't exactly find this to be the greatest method of trying to get people to like certain characters. Sure, it can help their cause, but in the end, I'd rather see good character development and such. For example, I don't like the way in which Yuuki's character has developed since the end of the Ridou arc, and playing up my sympathy doesn't change that view that I have of her and, actually, only served to annoy me (hence, the reason why this aspect of the chapter I felt was poorly done).

MallyMalMal said:

Hell yeah! I used to like Yuuki a lot but meh, she's just straight up annoying now. She's basically Kaname's obedient little bitch. Although, I still hope she realizes Kaname's a douche by the end of the manga and get back with Zero. I wouldn't mind the whole ZeroxYori pairing though either.

I'm not sure what you mean but I do agree with you that Yuki needs to change. Yuki has always been completely useless. Even from the very start when she got into a confrontation with Aido trying to protect a couple of students. Instead of whacking him with her electrostaff or at least kicking him she just gives up without a fight and lets him bite her until Zero shows up and saves her. Even with Zero she rarely ever made even a snarky comment when he acted like a complete jerk to her. Her helplessness even reached an absurd level when she couldn't even ask Kaname a question much less get him to answer without Zero's help.

At least now that she's acknowledged how pathetic she acts maybe she can change something. That's what I was hoping becoming a vampire and no longer being kept in the dark would do to her when she got a gigantic scythe and weird vampire superpowers. But it appears she is surpressing her inner vampire so she's still just as wimpy as before.

ah_18 said:
One more note to DrHouse,'s post -haha, it would take an essential plot ingredient if there wasn't this love triangle anymore. And from greatest love comes greatest hate (like in Skip Beat! xD) so truth is, although Zero said he'd kill her, it doesn't make the love die.

Helpless Yuki is one reason I want the love triangle plot device to go away. Both her having to be rescued every time and her pining for the person it looks like she can't have are getting old. I'm convince that YoriXZero is the best solution to this problem and that once Zero is firmly beyond her reach Yuki will have no problems embracing her inner vampire so that finally she can become at least competent. Then Yuki could become an active player in vampire politics rather than just doing what Kaname tells her to do. Besides Zero can still hate her even after she's given up on him because for Zero the love has almost completely turned into hate anyway.

Yori now is also a lot like prevampire Yuki too so they'd basically be like a Zeki if Kaname had just left Yuki alone. That way both Yume and Zeki fans win.
DrHouseSep 26, 2009 1:38 AM
Sep 26, 2009 7:18 AM

Nov 2008
Aureole said:

She should kill Yuki first. I'd love to see her die.
Previous username: LadyNikki
Sep 26, 2009 7:20 AM

Apr 2009
Akarei said:
Aureole said:

She should kill Yuki first. I'd love to see her die.

YUSPLZ

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Sep 26, 2009 8:43 AM

Dec 2008
Cenedess said:
Aeterna said:

KainxRuka? D:

Huh? D: Ruka wanted Kaname...

She did, but now that Kaname is with Yuuki, she seems to have her head back on her shoulders and sees that Kaname has never and never will reciprocate her feelings. And, there's no denying that KainxRuka is a very possible relationship in the series, one that I will fully support xD

ah_18 said:
GothicQueen said:
ah_18 said:

I know there are several families yet.. Aren't purebloods meant to have intersibling marriages, 'cause even though Shiki has a pureblood father, he is considered only a noble. It just got me thinking why not all purebloods are Kurans, if the first vampire ever was a Kuran and then they had sibling marriages. Were more vampires created afterwards, without the first ancestor to bite them, but by own (some weird) means like it happened for the first one? Maybe we'll find out later.

I'm gonna have to pull out my manga for this because I don't remember which chapter they explained the ancestry in (however briefly), but I don't have my manga with me right now ^^;;

I guess, eventually, they'd have to come up with different family names? I mean, if everyone had the family name of Kuran, then it would defeat the purpose of a family name, wouldn't it? xD But, yeah, I don't remember if the Kurans are the true ancestors of all vampires or if they were just the chosen royalty. Or both oO;;

In any case, pureblood siblings don't always marry each other. I assume that they have some choice in the matter, if they can. For example, Ridou was the eldest of the Kuran children, if I remember right, but Juuri seemed to have went with Haruka instead, while Ridou was engaged to Shizuka (I have a feeling neither of them were happy about it, though). Moreover, no one mentioned anyone else from the Hiou clan, so perhaps Ridou would have married into that clan rather than Shizuka marrying into the Kuran clan (as in, Ridou would take the Hiou name to preserve it)? This is purely speculative, however ^^;;

DrHouse said:
I'm not sure what you mean but I do agree with you that Yuki needs to change. Yuki has always been completely useless. Even from the very start when she got into a confrontation with Aido trying to protect a couple of students. Instead of whacking him with her electrostaff or at least kicking him she just gives up without a fight and lets him bite her until Zero shows up and saves her. Even with Zero she rarely ever made even a snarky comment when he acted like a complete jerk to her. Her helplessness even reached an absurd level when she couldn't even ask Kaname a question much less get him to answer without Zero's help.

At least now that she's acknowledged how pathetic she acts maybe she can change something. That's what I was hoping becoming a vampire and no longer being kept in the dark would do to her when she got a gigantic scythe and weird vampire superpowers. But it appears she is surpressing her inner vampire so she's still just as wimpy as before.

I know what you mean. Yuuki has never been my favourite character, but even so, I liked her personality better before, even if it still made her useless. Before, she showed a wide range of emotions - happiness, anger, sadness, etc. - but now, she just has these big, sad eyes all the time and it aggravates me to no end. I said this before in another discussion, but I'll say it again: I think Hino-sensei is trying to give Yuuki an aura of vampiric beauty, but as a result, she's looking like a long-haired, bigger-eyed version of Kaname.

Even before Yuuki's change to a Pureblood, at least she tried to do things for herself, such as supporting Zero as a vampire, defending Zero from Yagari, trying to confront her past, etc. Ever since the end of the Ridou arc, however, Yuuki hasn't really done much of anything except mope around and be treated like a princess (which she technically is, but even so, she can't even do her own toenails..?!)
AeternaSep 26, 2009 8:52 AM
Sep 26, 2009 9:19 AM

Jun 2008
I'm curious now...What did Kaname want to talk about with Sara? And what will happen with Yuuki in the drawing room?

I feel bad for Yuuki...she doesn't seem like the type who should be a pureblood...idk...those other vampires were treating her kinda coldly.
Note: I decided not to accept random friend requests. Most of the ones I accept will be people I know from other sites unless I get to know some people here. (=^_^=)
Sep 26, 2009 2:29 PM

Aug 2008
I'm beginning to like Kaname and Yuuki a lot more now...but awww @ Zero's heartbroken expression when she touches him. TT_TT And Wakaba's so brave and awesome~ I'm so torn between which pairings to support...KanamexYuuki, ZeroxYuuki, or ZeroxWakaba???
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 27, 2009 12:59 AM

Jun 2009
Aeterna said:
I know what you mean. Yuuki has never been my favourite character, but even so, I liked her personality better before, even if it still made her useless. Before, she showed a wide range of emotions - happiness, anger, sadness, etc. - but now, she just has these big, sad eyes all the time and it aggravates me to no end. I said this before in another discussion, but I'll say it again: I think Hino-sensei is trying to give Yuuki an aura of vampiric beauty, but as a result, she's looking like a long-haired, bigger-eyed version of Kaname.

Again, I blame the love triangle. It's the cause of most of Yuuki's reasons for always being depressed: She feels guilty for still loving Zero and therefore wants to punish herself, she is constantly starving because she needs Zero's blood, she is trying to keep her inner vampire surpressed so that there might be some chance that Zero might stop hating her, she feels guilty for having unintentionally lied to Zero for the past 4 years and Zero's wants to kill her. I know that getting rid of the love triangle wouldn't completely eliminate all of those problems but I think it might at least make Yuki less angsty.

A YorixZero pairing would get rid of all five of those problems but only if Yuuki has the decency to not love her best friend's boyfriend. I think that Hino has developed Yuki's character to the point where her having the revelation that you can't always get what you want would be at least plausible.

Aeterna said:
Even before Yuuki's change to a Pureblood, at least she tried to do things for herself, such as supporting Zero as a vampire, defending Zero from Yagari, trying to confront her past, etc. Ever since the end of the Ridou arc, however, Yuuki hasn't really done much of anything except mope around and be treated like a princess (which she technically is, but even so, she can't even do her own toenails..?!)

To be fair to Yuuki she has been learning etiquette and diplomacy from Aido for the past year. Half of this chapter was devoted to explaining why she needed to be able to appear capable to the vampire nobles. I was pleasantly surprised when she actually did not screw everything up at the ball as she has done almost 100% percent of the time in the past. I think she did very well considering how creepy they were being. She also managed to diffuse the potentially very dangerous situation between Zero and Sara even though Yori was the center of it and she probably wanted to side with Zero. All the nobles were watching and commenting on how she handled the situation so her siding with Zero would have been a very bad idea.

I think the new Yuki is an improvement except for the increase in angst. Actually I thought her overcheerfulness before clashed with the setting of VK too much but new Yuki is overcompensating. I'm also disappointed because Kaname still has not told her much at all about what his plan is and she still cannot protect herself despite being a pureblood. I'm hoping that Hino may choose to continue going towards changing that but it'll never happen if Zeki fans get their way.
Sep 28, 2009 11:15 AM

Jun 2007
lol this is the first time i felt for Zero x Yuki, i like the idea of sad love and they really look like hurting.
Sep 28, 2009 12:06 PM

Dec 2008
ah_18 said:
GothicQueen said:
ah_18 said:

Ok, so I looked into this and the ancestry of the vampire race is (vaguely) explained in chapter 28, page 13. The Purebloods are from the families that never mixed with humans, and as the vampire race grew, the Kuran family was chosen to rule as the monarchy. It never specifically said that the Kurans were the first family and that everyone is descended from them. The vampires probably started off not having family names, but as the number of vampires grew, they probably came to need them to distinguish themselves (same thing happened with humans, actually), hence why there are different Pureblood family names.

DrHouse said:
To be fair to Yuuki she has been learning etiquette and diplomacy from Aido for the past year. Half of this chapter was devoted to explaining why she needed to be able to appear capable to the vampire nobles. I was pleasantly surprised when she actually did not screw everything up at the ball as she has done almost 100% percent of the time in the past. I think she did very well considering how creepy they were being. She also managed to diffuse the potentially very dangerous situation between Zero and Sara even though Yori was the center of it and she probably wanted to side with Zero. All the nobles were watching and commenting on how she handled the situation so her siding with Zero would have been a very bad idea.

I think the new Yuki is an improvement except for the increase in angst. Actually I thought her overcheerfulness before clashed with the setting of VK too much but new Yuki is overcompensating. I'm also disappointed because Kaname still has not told her much at all about what his plan is and she still cannot protect herself despite being a pureblood. I'm hoping that Hino may choose to continue going towards changing that but it'll never happen if Zeki fans get their way.

True. I guess I have difficulty deciding which Yuuki I disliked more: the overly optimistic and cheery Yuuki, or the Yuuki who wears the same angsty facial expression all the time. I have a tendency to dislike both extremes =/
Sep 30, 2009 10:18 AM

Jun 2009
nice chap! :) l o v e zero and i kinda liked the ending... dunno, and FINALLY! yes! seems like were getting some interesting action again hoo!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vampire Knight Chapter 68 Discussion

tsubasalover - Jan 22, 2011

26 by Ayano-Kinoshita »»
Apr 17, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Vampire Knight Chapter 66 Discussion

tsubasalover - Oct 23, 2010

16 by Ayano-Kinoshita »»
Apr 16, 12:19 PM

Poll: » Vampire Knight Chapter 93 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Lalalandzz - May 22, 2013

271 by weaboo_lord »»
Feb 4, 8:37 PM

Poll: » Vampire Knight Chapter 1 Discussion

VARIAchan - Nov 4, 2009

7 by miaeiner »»
Oct 17, 2023 5:14 PM

Poll: » Vampire Knight Chapter 58 Discussion

tsubasalover - Feb 19, 2010

30 by LaurenStark »»
Apr 22, 2023 7:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.