Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 7, 2014 11:41 AM

Jul 2013
See kids, knowledge is everthing.
May 7, 2014 11:42 AM

Nov 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Notchrishansen said:
Huh, so that wasn't random comedy, but a specific (and rather obscure) biblical reference. Makes me wonder what others I've overlooked.

There is a difference between something that is an "idiom" and a "reference". The idiom references the bible, however the show references the idiom. Most people who use the idiom have no idea that it references the bible, but "scales fall from one's eyes" is a very well known idiom in English and I imagine in most European languages as well. It is so common that one can search for it in common dictionaries.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/The+scales+fall+from+eyes

Oh...first I've ever heard of that idiom.
LoL summoner name: Dongblaster
Steam: We're Andr Attack
3DS FC 5472-7177-5620
Please PM me before adding any of these
May 7, 2014 11:43 AM
Oct 2012
Caleb8980 said:
I really want to know what the Ba*su reference was :D

That was the magical spell in Laputa that caused the island to fall apart. That was why they were so disappointed that nothing happened.

And while their use of it was primarily a joke, it also does fit into the psychological profile of the two (think about it, what people would try to destroy something without reason just to re-enact a movie?)

Also, happy to see that the writer specifically mentioned "psychological state" this episode, supports my Kurumi interpretation last episode and why the king died. Also like that they really solidified that games only have positive rules (i.e. rules that have been stated or are inherent in the game), not assumed rules (such as using a new deck in trying to guess the Ace of Spades).

Notchrishansen said:
Oh...first I've ever heard of that idiom.

NP, there are so many expressions that people use that they don't know where they come from (usually the King James Bible or Shakespeare), so I like going that extra step and go to the original source. Must be the historian in me!

Have you heard the quote: "What a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive?" That is my favorite for showing the importance of tracing things. Without cheating, who do people think this quote is from?

Mod Edit: Merged posts; please use the edit button.
julyanMay 8, 2014 6:38 AM
May 7, 2014 11:50 AM
Feb 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
Caleb8980 said:
I really want to know what the Ba*su reference was :D

That was the magical spell in Laputa that caused the island to fall apart. That was why they were so disappointed that nothing happened.

And while their use of it was primarily a joke, it also does fit into the psychological profile of the two (think about it, what people would try to destroy something without reason just to re-enact a movie?)

Also, happy to see that the writer specifically mentioned "psychological state" this episode, supports my Kurumi interpretation last episode and why the king died. Also like that they really solidified that games only have positive rules (i.e. rules that have been stated or are inherent in the game), not assumed rules (such as using a new deck in trying to guess the Ace of Spades).

Yeah got that out already but thanks anyways :D
As said I knew Laputa cuz of Gulliver's Travels ^^

Takuan_Soho said:
Notchrishansen said:
Huh, so that wasn't random comedy, but a specific (and rather obscure) biblical reference. Makes me wonder what others I've overlooked.

There is a difference between something that is an "idiom" and a "reference". The idiom references the bible, however the show references the idiom. Most people who use the idiom have no idea that it references the bible, but "scales fall from one's eyes" is a very well known idiom in English and I imagine in most European languages as well. It is so common that one can search for it in common dictionaries.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/The+scales+fall+from+eyes

That was actually my problem when I first saw it; I'm german so english idioms just don't make *click* in my head when I hear them, but thankfully after the scene ended I got it xD
May 7, 2014 11:52 AM

Jan 2014
Poor Steph... Losing so many times, must have been embarassing
but she still kept on fighting for her goal. Respect. And now Blank,
towards the next victory we go! Looking forward to the next ep!ˇ
May 7, 2014 11:56 AM

Nov 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
"What a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive?" That is my favorite for showing the importance of tracing things. Without cheating, who do people think this quote is from?

Truth be told...Hell if I know. Yet another idiom, I've never heard of.

Mod Edit: Removed delete quote.
julyanMay 8, 2014 6:40 AM
LoL summoner name: Dongblaster
Steam: We're Andr Attack
3DS FC 5472-7177-5620
Please PM me before adding any of these
May 7, 2014 12:02 PM

Apr 2013
Oh my god. I absolutely lost it with the Laputa reference and Blank's change of clothes. I had to pause the episode for a couple of minutes. And poor Steph (although I can't complain with her being the fanservice). Even her grandfather had no mercy on her. This was a funny episode but not as great as the previous ones. However, it was a transition episode to what seems like an epic confrontation that is coming up with the "angel/death". I can't wait for next week. Aschente!

Also, Stephservice = Bestservice.
dankzelMay 7, 2014 8:38 PM
May 7, 2014 12:03 PM

Aug 2013
Hmm... I only know that "scale fall from one's eyes" is a common Japanese idiom. I've seen it many times in several manga.

After some googling it seems that the idiom is really borrowed from the Bible, so kudos to that.

http://thejapanesepage.com/w/index.php?title=Body_part_idioms

目から鱗が落ちる me kara uroko ga ochiru - lit. scales fall from eyes - suddenly be able to see the real situation/understand something - see the light (From Bible)
May 7, 2014 12:10 PM

Feb 2014
Stop being such a Steph and feeling bad for her :P
Also i love Soro reasoning for taking over WereBeast for them furrys
Howl's moving castle <3
May 7, 2014 12:22 PM
Oct 2012
Notchrishansen said:
Truth be told...Hell if I know. Yet another idiom, I've never heard of.

Ah, that wasn't an idiom, that was a quote from a poem. It would be more a metaphor than an idiom. An idiom is a phrase which has a meaning that it's mere words do not explain (i.e. "its raining cats and dogs"), the idiom is formed by the gap between the literal meaning of the word and the meaning of the expression.

A simile compares two things. So if telling lies is LIKE a tangled web that would be simile. A metaphor generally has an implied third term relates the two stated terms:

So in the quote I used:
Deceiving someone soon becomes a complex mess,
A spider web that becomes tangled is a complex mess,
Therefore Deceiving some is similar to a tangled spider web because both are complex messes.

/Pedantic mode off, that is until the next time!
May 7, 2014 12:24 PM

Jul 2010
Steph's grandfather when she lost xD
Shiro and Sora's reaction when they learned that Steph is smart.
So warbeast looks like that, Shiro wantingbit for the ears.
Steph kept on losing was funny. Shiro goes against Steph so her brother won't be fulfilled =)
That Laputa reference!
Flubel that can mind read, can't wait till the game they play!
May 7, 2014 12:28 PM
Feb 2014
FatefulLove said:
Steph's grandfather when she lost xD
Shiro and Sora's reaction when they learned that Steph is smart.
So warbeast looks like that, Shiro wantingbit for the ears.
Steph kept on losing was funny. Shiro goes against Steph so her brother won't be fulfilled =)
That Laputa reference!
Flubel that can mind read, can't wait till the game they play!

You got a little bit tangled up in the different races ;-)

The warbeasts are the ones with a 6th sense that is equal to reading minds and are ranked 14th.

Flugel or actually Flügel (Fluegel) is german for wings and just describes the most prominent feature of the number 6 ranked creatures ^^
May 7, 2014 12:31 PM

Feb 2014
Hilarious episode. Easily AOTY to me so far.
Around and around the cycle goes.
May 7, 2014 12:32 PM
Oct 2012
Caleb8980 said:

The real shame is now many native english speakers don't know about Laputa except for it being from some Japanese animation. If you tell them its from "Gulliver's Travels" they will nod their head and perhaps vaguely remember something about a human being tied down by small people, but that is about the limit of their knowledge of one of the great comedic novels of all time (you have to love a country where "important people" are followed around by servants who smack them with inflated sheep bladders in order to get their attention, or where scientists are studying how to build a building from the top to the bottom or to extract sunshine from cucumbers or try to put the nutritional value back into sh@t).
May 7, 2014 12:36 PM

Sep 2013
Stop being such a Steph, Steph :3

Her grandpa when she lost XD

The angel's voice and their reactions made me LOL so hard :P
May 7, 2014 12:36 PM

Jul 2010
Another great episode.Such a shame this show isn't 2-cour - hopefully there is going to be announcement for season 2 at the end of 1.
Laputa really exists!

That new girl is such a hottie tho.I heard there are many great moments with her in LN, i really hope they will animate all/most of them.
May 7, 2014 12:43 PM

Jun 2010
Lol, poor Steph. Lost almost all of her clothing. Still hot though.

Good episode, lol that ending. Didn't expect the "angel" to speak like that. Seems like she's going to be a great character. Can't wait.
May 7, 2014 1:02 PM

Dec 2012
An alright episode, the comedy was a little much but the tiny bit of the episode that was serious was good.
May 7, 2014 1:08 PM
Feb 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
Caleb8980 said:

The real shame is now many native english speakers don't know about Laputa except for it being from some Japanese animation. If you tell them its from "Gulliver's Travels" they will nod their head and perhaps vaguely remember something about a human being tied down by small people, but that is about the limit of their knowledge of one of the great comedic novels of all time (you have to love a country where "important people" are followed around by servants who smack them with inflated sheep bladders in order to get their attention, or where scientists are studying how to build a building from the top to the bottom or to extract sunshine from cucumbers or try to put the nutritional value back into sh@t).

To be fair that is also one of the most iconic scenes of Gulliver's Travels but yeah the whole story is comedy gold :D
May 7, 2014 1:08 PM

Apr 2013
I liked the comedy this episode, gave me some decent chuckles.
So Steph is intelligent when it comes to anything that aren't games? Who would've thought.
Pretty fun episode overall, I hear the next one's going to be amazing. Can't wait.
May 7, 2014 1:41 PM

Apr 2013
Loved it. I like the comedy in here so far!

"If your opponent is another human, you're just screwed... Screwed... Screwed..." - troll grandfather

nice fanservice btw, but why has Shiro to be such a cockblock? I guess, it's just how they work as duo^^
May 7, 2014 1:42 PM

Apr 2014
STEPH IS ACTUALLY NOT AN IDIOT?

lol another great episode.
Red is the color of a hero
May 7, 2014 1:53 PM

Jan 2014
I feel like NGNL could be better if it took a little more serious tone and cut down on the unnecessary fan service a bit. I understand it's a comedy but the over silliness of the show takes away from its potential imo.
May 7, 2014 2:06 PM

Nov 2012
"If your opponent is another human,you're screwed."

Dat war beast country...

Steph dress as a dog and on a lease,lol.

Jibril<3,loved her voice.Was expecting something totally different when they referred to her as an angel/death.
May 7, 2014 2:08 PM

Nov 2011
we're dealing with a atomic bomb next episode, cant wait for it omg!!!
Hate Keeps me warm
May 7, 2014 2:10 PM

Aug 2013
Pretty boring episode. I hope next week's episode is better and we get to see the war beast race in action.
May 7, 2014 2:10 PM

Dec 2012
Best episode so far!!

Just when I thought "Omg! It's really Laputa!" Sora screams "Laputa really does exist!!"

The Laputa references made me ecstatic! I am so happy! I love this series so fudging much!!
The 2002 Tokyo Mew Mew adaptation is not as great as you remember it being.
May 7, 2014 2:19 PM

Jul 2011
Mugen24 said:
I feel like NGNL could be better if it took a little more serious tone and cut down on the unnecessary fan service a bit. I understand it's a comedy but the over silliness of the show takes away from its potential imo.

You'd end up cutting out most of the source material, games and characterizations too if you did that.
May 7, 2014 2:22 PM
Oct 2012
Caleb8980 said:
That and on top of that it was a reference to Gulliver's Travels where the exact same scene of the sun-suddenly-gets-dark-and-flying-city-passes-by happens

EDIT: Btw the flying city there also is named Laputa ;-)

Caleb, your posts make me think you are missing a point, if you already knew this my apologies.

This animation is referencing the Miyazaki movie "Laputa", Sora and Shiro are wearing the clothes of two main characters, and your question about what "Ba*su" reference also related to this movie (its a magical control word for the city).

In the movie the floating city is specifically referenced as the Laputa from Gulliver's travels. So it isn't that both "also" have the names Laputa, but both are the same city.
May 7, 2014 2:30 PM
Feb 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
Caleb8980 said:
That and on top of that it was a reference to Gulliver's Travels where the exact same scene of the sun-suddenly-gets-dark-and-flying-city-passes-by happens

EDIT: Btw the flying city there also is named Laputa ;-)

Caleb, your posts make me think you are missing a point, if you already knew this my apologies.

This animation is referencing the Miyazaki movie "Laputa", Sora and Shiro are wearing the clothes of two main characters, and your question about what "Ba*su" reference also related to this movie (its a magical control word for the city).

In the movie the floating city is specifically referenced as the Laputa from Gulliver's travels. So it isn't that both "also" have the names Laputa, but both are the same city.

Yeah right now I looked it up but before I didn't know that ^^

But the scene itself in which we see Laputa passing by has the exact same build up as it has in Gulliver's Travels, where Gulliver goes on land from the ship he was traveling on and suddenly the sky gets dark, he looks up and sees the flying island Laputa.
That is exactly the scene like how Sora watches at his mobile phone, suddenly the sun gets dark and he looks up, hence it made me think that it was a reference for both.

If the same scene happens in "Laputa: Castle in the Sky", too, then I'm sorry :D

Caleb8980May 7, 2014 2:34 PM
May 7, 2014 2:41 PM
Oct 2012
Caleb8980 said:
If the same scene happens in "Laputa: Castle in the Sky", too, then I'm sorry

No reason to be sorry, the movie directly took it from the book as well. It was Miyazaki's second independent film after Nausica (which I would argue is still his best, though most of his following ones, including Lauputa, are extremely good), so it has absolutely incredible animation and I recommend it. Age level is around 12-14, but as with many Miyazaki films, that doesn't make them any less enjoyable for adults. I personally love Miyazaki clouds and flying sequences, always a visual treat.

The story is about while how the people who lived on Laputa left to return to the ground, the city is still floating around up there and that some people are very curious as to what the Laputans left behind.
May 7, 2014 2:51 PM

Apr 2013
Episode 6 is gonna be SOOOO AMAZING and funny :D

Though what I really want are the next 2 games Sora and Shiro play.

May 7, 2014 2:57 PM

Oct 2013
Seeing Steph lose constantly was definitely funny.
May 7, 2014 2:57 PM
Apr 2013
Using Steph as a derogatory word XD
So steph is people smart while Blank is game/book smart. This makes them a deadly combo as they compliment eachother.
When the angel (I guess Jibril is her name?) started speaking I died XD
May 7, 2014 3:01 PM

Apr 2013
ponygon123 said:
Using Steph as a derogatory word XD
So steph is people smart while Blank is game/book smart. This makes them a deadly combo as they compliment eachother.
When the angel (I guess Jibril is her name?) started speaking I died XD

Yeah the Light Novel named her as Jibril.

May 7, 2014 3:16 PM
Dec 2012
Mugen24 said:

It is about Otaku gamers what did you expect?

But this episode was epic (not that the other ones were not to). Can't wait to see the match against Jibril.

No Game No Life is going to remain in the mind of many people for a while.
May 7, 2014 3:27 PM
Oct 2012
Mugen24 said:

No, it wouldn't have been better. Without the humor Sora and Shiro would be insufferable (as they probably were in real life), and the humor is the "spoonful of sugar to help the medicine (exposition they do a ton of it while they are doing humor/fanservice) go down".

Besides a "serious" type of this show has been done already (in manga format and movies), its called "Liar's Game".

Still, I have a feeling that the further this show goes and the plot is established, the less it will rely on zany humor. But I have very much enjoyed that the first episodes have had it in abundance, it makes the repetition far less noticeable (they have explained each rule 3 times already, and have established the flaws with most of them, and established how Sora and Shiro will beat superior foes, and should have, by now finally drilled it into the skulls of even the dimmest viewers that YES the author knows what he is doing when Sora seems to "break" rules, and NO it isn't an asspull, but the logical outcome of the plot).

Compare this to how Mahouka has gone about its first 4 episodes in establishing world view, world rules, and characters, and I will take a healthy heaping of this kind of fanservice and humor than the fanservice and lack of humor there.

Now does this mean that Mahouka will be worse than NGNL, no, but this show has been far more pleasurable to watch to this date.
May 7, 2014 3:30 PM

Jul 2012
Pretty funny episode~! x3
Lots of parts made me laugh. :3

Some fan service as well: Steph losing her clothes little by little cause she's losing the games. xD

Umm....anyone know the reference they made when the floating piece of land floated above Sora and Shiro? xD It looked a lot like the characters from Castle in the Sky's clothing....I guess? o-o

Meh, oh well. :3

New character! x3 Can't wait to see how she is~! x3
May 7, 2014 3:33 PM

Aug 2011
Hilarious episode! I love how they balanced it with giving us more information of the world. Also seeing what Shiro does when she gets jealous was great character development!
May 7, 2014 3:42 PM

Jul 2013
I love their new wittle house
chu go chuchu

He can't lose against anyone but his sister <3
Go away Stepnotfunny Dollnot

So they're going to go against a flugel which sounds like a dragon to me for some reason to gain knowledge to beat the girl animal kingdom that can read minds y0sh
May 7, 2014 3:46 PM
Mar 2014
i felt bad for steph and if sora needs a sex slave he can call me
May 7, 2014 3:50 PM
Jan 2013
Remember children if you're imanity and you fight a human.... "you're screwed"
this episode was okay imo.
Just using Steph as a plot device to tell us about the world they're living in while fucking with her.... gets old after a while do something else pls x.x
They even made fun of her being a plot device by saying she's "smart".

Shiro was not cute in those panties thou.... kinda taking that 2 far imo. Funny but just morally wrong i mean she's like 11...
May 7, 2014 3:51 PM

Jul 2010
That Laputa's reference. Anyway, good episode after all with a nice build-up, looking forward to the match.
May 7, 2014 3:52 PM

Aug 2008
Hmm... this series was great with that chess match, but ever since then, it's been going downhill. The pace of this episode was way too slow for me. The only thing it really revealed was that Steph has a gambling addiction, not that we didn't already know that.

Hopefully, things will pick up next week again.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
May 7, 2014 4:08 PM
Oct 2012
guyklc said:
Hmm... this series was great with that chess match, but ever since then, it's been going downhill.

Humm, in other words since last episode. The chess episode ended last week. Your "downhill" was less than one episode long (since they introduced the new antagonist this episode)

If effect you're complaining that a transition episode was, well, transitioning.
May 7, 2014 4:11 PM

Mar 2014
guyklc said:
The only thing it really revealed was that Steph has a gambling addiction, not that we didn't already know that.

So, abilities of warbeasts, situation with nobles, lack of knowledge sources and presence of higher being, characters development... nothing new?
May 7, 2014 4:20 PM

Apr 2010
Pritorian said:
guyklc said:
The only thing it really revealed was that Steph has a gambling addiction, not that we didn't already know that.

So, abilities of warbeasts, situation with nobles, lack of knowledge sources and presence of higher being, characters development... nothing new?

Literally nothing.
May 7, 2014 4:26 PM

May 2012
dafuq with that angel haha.. wish I could keep those undies..

May 7, 2014 4:38 PM

Nov 2013
Steph is too cute and Shiro knows that, that's why she's taking her jealousy out on Steph haha.

I lost it at the Castle in the Sky reference. They were even dressed in the same clothes as those characters for a few seconds.
May 7, 2014 4:47 PM
Oct 2012
xxdeathx said:
Steph is too cute and Shiro knows that, that's why she's taking her jealousy out on Steph haha.

And she knows that Sora is falling in love with Steph as well, and is very afraid of it (and I would say it is fear more so than jealousy - she is thinking she will be left alone and of course both have an extreme mental hangup concerning that). The animation has depicted that very well, dropping some pretty sly hints that there is more going on in Sora's head than plain lust.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» No Game No Life’s Original Creator Pleads For A Second Season Of The Anime ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 10

58 by Animeistaken »»
Apr 24, 8:33 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1020 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 5:11 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

476 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 2:47 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

622 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 21, 5:21 PM

» Your wishes for this april fool

Jackson_rajkumar - Mar 31

16 by sloth848 »»
Apr 19, 8:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.