Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 17, 2009 9:30 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
And so one of the most mediocre anime series this year ended. Shame Mirai didn't die. 6/10 for hit-n-miss animation and script.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Sep 17, 2009 9:32 AM

Dec 2007
This was the saddest ending to an anime I have ever seen ;_;

*cried like a baby*

And they just /had/ to bring up lots of Yuuki scenes as well, UGGH.

9/10 from me.
SporknessSep 17, 2009 9:39 AM
Sep 17, 2009 9:15 PM

Apr 2008
It was just what I was waiting for. Someone had to die, even though I wished it was Mirai, mostly at the beginning.
It was a 7/10 to me.
// Hearts are wasted, lives are broken.
Sep 17, 2009 9:32 PM

Jul 2008
overall this was a pretty good series. I guess in the end Yuuki was able to get his family closer together the way they used to be and make them understand how important family is even though it meant him dying in order to do so.

Sep 17, 2009 11:49 PM

Sep 2007
A nice end to the series. I still wonder though, if it was simply Mirai hallucinating what she wanted to hear and see, or if it was really Yuuki's spirit.
Sep 18, 2009 12:59 AM
Sep 2007
8/10

Yuuki's death was unnecessary, but OK.
Sep 18, 2009 1:03 AM
Mar 2008
10/10, this made my cry like a baby, really.
Sep 18, 2009 1:29 AM

Jun 2009
if evangelion taught me anything, it's that emo never dies.

4/10 for first five five episodes or so (can't recall when mirai magically turned nice)

6/10 for rest (mirai's realization was too long)

overall 5.5/10
Sep 18, 2009 1:29 AM

Jun 2009
I couldn't wait for the fansub and just watched the raw, so I didn't understand everything. However, I think I did get the general gist.

@ Wishy, I cried like a baby too.

It was gutsy of them to kill off a main character. It could have gone all cliched like the show "Dallas" from the 80s when they killed off JR but passed off that whole season as a dream.

None of that here. They handled Yuuki's death well.

People can debate ad nauseum about whether Mirai was delusional or whether Yuuki was visiting her in spirit form. I suppose you could say Yuuki was whatever you wanted him to be. I'd like to think he became her guardian angel. He was after all, guiding her to find Hina, help Itsuki and then brought her together with their mom. So he's Angel Yuuki to me.

Mirai had to be the one to survive. She had the most growth. She's done a 180 since episode 1. Yuuki was more mature in his viewpoints.

I'm sure Angel Yuuki is looking down at his family very happy that they are closer together. As for Mirai, she'lll continue to try to be an onee-chan that Yuuki can be proud of.

10/10 for me.
---
ChibiSamuraiTV | My YT Channel | www.youtube.com/user/chibisamuraitv
Sep 18, 2009 2:01 AM

Sep 2008
The 2 times I cried during the episode - Her mom running up to her and when her mom opened up her presents.

I thought it was a great series, not something that comes up every other season. I'm extremely glad that somebody important died though. It's only natural that a death/injury brings people closer together.

I gave this a 9.0/10 on the Richter scale for making me cry so many times.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2009 2:22 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
a good ending for a show that started off with a bang, and then crawled like a snail to the finish line. i think Yuuki dying saved the show.

8/10 for me. very good.
p r o f i l e 👀
Sep 18, 2009 3:58 AM

Sep 2007
...Is it bad I laughed?

Anyway, I think these disaster-based series are a good idea, I wouldn't mind seeing more scenarios, save for the ghostly theme. I mean, hallucinations are fine, but Yuuki seemed more ghost-like than delusion.
Sep 18, 2009 4:01 AM

Apr 2009
This was so amazing, and defenitely one of the best animes I have ever seen. This defenitely deserves a solid 10/10 from me.
Sep 18, 2009 4:02 AM

Jan 2009
This was one of the most well done deaths in any series I've ever watched. It really brought it close and had me crying throughout most of the episode. A very touching end to a wonderful series.

Overall the series had a few scenes that bored me or were a bit dubious, but the rest of it warrants a 9/10 for me. ^v^
Sep 18, 2009 4:05 AM

Apr 2008
A beautiful ending T________________T 10/10
Sep 18, 2009 4:38 AM

May 2009
The finale had me grabbing for the tissue box repeatedly. When Mirai, her mom and dad were craying their eyes out at the hospital, so was I. So sad. I'm glad they all came together rather than the alternative. And receiving the email from Yuuki was a nice touch. Damn, what a great little guy Yuuki was... T__T

As for whether Yuuki was just her imagination/hallucination or something more, I liked that they left it unexplained. If you can deal with it, great. If you can't, oh well.

Mari ended up having a smaller role than I expected. While returning Yuuki's backpack and Mirai's cell phone was very important (as well as the catch-up with Mirai), her story really did end when she reunited with her daughter and mother.

Overall, it ended very well.

Not perfect, but a truly memorable and touching series.
Sep 18, 2009 4:40 AM

May 2008
kashim said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
And so one of the most mediocre anime series this year ended. Shame Mirai didn't die. 6/10 for hit-n-miss animation and script.

Don't listen to this POS.
Sep 18, 2009 5:00 AM

Feb 2008
So sad I actually cried which I don't do very often.

10/10 for me. Favorite of this season and I couldn't wait for every episode to come out. I think that they worked well with 11 episodes and I'm glad the series isn't going longer even though I loved it.
Sep 18, 2009 5:25 AM

Jul 2007
Meh the last episode was so-so.

Overall it's a decent anime and a quite unique one too. I must say a good attempt but could been better.

7/10.
Sep 18, 2009 5:34 AM

Jul 2008

Overall this serie was maybe the best from summer season 2009. It's was dramatic, sad, funny and realistic. It made me cry couple of times and I enjoyed following it. It got 9/10 from me.
SonjaSep 18, 2009 5:48 AM

Sep 18, 2009 6:03 AM

Mar 2008
A 8.5/10 rounded to 9/10 for me. I cried insane amounts, and I thought the development and how they dealt with Yuuki's death was fantastic.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2009 6:24 AM

Feb 2009
This was my favorite anime of the season. It was so sad and heart touching. 10/10
Sep 18, 2009 7:22 AM

Dec 2007
Such a powerful episode, I teared up twice...
A very good conclusion to an overall very good series. Gets a 8/10 from me.
yakisobapanSep 18, 2009 10:15 AM
Sep 18, 2009 7:25 AM

Apr 2009
Wishy said:
10/10, this made my cry like a baby, really.

Me too. This series have been ~10/10 through the hole series. I love it. But really sad, but I like it that way.
Sep 18, 2009 7:30 AM

Jun 2007
I loved every moment of this series.
I cried like 2 or 3 times in the last episode, it made me super-emotional!
I think they did a really great job with the characterization, so I don't really get why some people say that they didn't like Mirai's "change" or it was boring and such... '-'

Anyway, 10/10 for me. :)
Sep 18, 2009 7:58 AM
Jul 2008
So very sad!
Sep 18, 2009 8:27 AM

Jan 2009
Ah. When I saw the first episode, I knew that someone had to die--- or else this series would've been a bust.

I'm quite happy it ended the way it did, actually. Yeah, it's not the best anime ever--- but it does pass my expectations. Pretty much cried during the last two episodes... because, you know, I like Yuuki, and if someone were to die, I thought it would've been their parents. Nice ending. At least the family got together in the end like how Yuuki have always wanted it to be.
My brain: Yorozuya Gin-chan -> Yozakura Quartet = Yorozuya Quartet (this is how much Gintama has affected me).
Sep 18, 2009 8:30 AM

Dec 2007
good ending. was hoping for some sort of "10 year later"-thingy, but this was good to ^^

rounded up to 9/10
Sep 18, 2009 8:31 AM

Apr 2008
8/10 ... not a bad series
quite like it ...

I feel that Yuuki's death is quite a good plot ... but its kinda sad thou =(
Life isnt always a happy ending

Sep 18, 2009 8:49 AM

Dec 2008
Watching last episode I cried every 5 minutes or so. Although I prefer they didn't kill Yuuki, I think the think was pretty good.
I really liked how Mirai changed during this series, how she became loving and caring big sister.

9/10 from me. The best anime of summer.

Jul 2008
I teared up twice. ;.;

This was a really good show with a really good ending.
9/10

May 2009
Damn... it made me cry too much...
It was a good anime. This last episode was different from first 9 episodes, but similar to the previous one (10). It had a different feeling... very emotional and very sad. But realistic, right..... i guess in the end, it's an anime that I'd recommend and I'd give it an 8 for the last two episodes but i have to keep it a little objective so i'll stick with the 7 (GOOD).
I'm glad i got to see this very interesting and touching story.

Farewell, Yuuki...
Sep 18, 2009 8:58 AM

May 2009
Charliehsv said:
Such a powerful episode, I teared up twice...
A very good conclusion to a overall very good series. Gets a 8/10 from me.

Exactly, I can't add more. Well, just that Bones once again meets my expectations, waiting for Darker Than Black 2 now :)
Sep 18, 2009 9:03 AM
Jul 2008
Well the beginning of the episode was slightly corny with the reappearing/disappearing Yuuki. He really should not have lmade any more appearances after the previous episode when Mirai finally realised he was a hallucination. The ending was pretty good, though the music was kind of too much. The scenes were quite moving and there was no need for the syrupy musical background.

Overall a rather good series, not phenomenal but meaningful and often moving. 7/10 from me.
Do not fear darkness. A path of shadows can only end into the light.
Sep 18, 2009 9:17 AM

May 2008
I felt like this last episode was a little disappointing... it's a little too centered around Mirai and her personal issues. The parents were rather flat characters also, since we see so little of them and they behave so conveniently at the end. There were still some touching scenes despite this, but it felt like it was missing something.... maybe I just thought Mirai's resolve should have been stronger.

It certainly took Mari a long time to make it over... I wonder what was keeping her? ...wasn't she worried whether Mirai would make it home safely being still in denial over her brother?

Also, I thought the cell towers were still down at the fountain where Yuuki sent the email.... maybe I glossed over something there.

I am a banana.
Sep 18, 2009 9:21 AM

Jul 2008
Ok I get depressed quite easely but I almost never cry tough I needed to pause a lot in the episode because it almost bring me to tears many time.
I'm fond of drama, solid 10/10 from me. Unlike some people I think that Mirai's realisation was well paced, not too long and not too short. Afterall the serie resolve about Mirai and Yuuki relationship since the beginning.
Sep 18, 2009 9:33 AM

Dec 2007
Yuuki~~ é_è

9/10 for me.
Sep 18, 2009 10:16 AM

Oct 2008
Nice ending, overall it was pretty good but some things could have been better developed.

8/10 imo
Sep 18, 2009 10:32 AM

Sep 2008
this question is stupid, but when actually yuuki die?
too lazy for rewatch. crappy 3d model is crappy
Sep 18, 2009 10:32 AM

Oct 2007
saka said:
The parents were rather flat characters also, since we see so little of them and they behave so conveniently at the end.

Indeed. They cried a little but overall, they looked like as if Yuukis death didn't bother them at all.
Hell, I cried even more than his mother did (on screen). I would have died of sorrow in her stead.
Sep 18, 2009 11:05 AM

Oct 2007
Kiddo said:
saka said:
The parents were rather flat characters also, since we see so little of them and they behave so conveniently at the end.

Indeed. They cried a little but overall, they looked like as if Yuukis death didn't bother them at all.
Hell, I cried even more than his mother did (on screen). I would have died of sorrow in her stead.
what else do you want them to do, sitting down crying the whole day and put all the blame on Mirai? It is not like they love one kid and not the other. People have their own way of reaction and it is not like they are not sad at all. One of the two of their kids came back to them alive after all.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Sep 18, 2009 12:02 PM

Jun 2007
I've only teared up during 3 anime series. This one is now the third.

I'm still a little, not sure on my rap-up of this series. It doesn't make a 9 or 10 from me, but i've been told i'm uber harsh anyway. Maybe a solid 8.

All those pictures of the family doing things when they showed the old pictures of Yuuki made me go, "wait I thought you said your family doesn't do anything together, Mirai." Gosh if that's what she calls doing nothing with her family she would have been suicidal if she joined mine. My family hardly does anything together.

I've Been Watching Anime for 20 years now. Can you beat that?
Sep 18, 2009 12:19 PM

Apr 2007
Sporkness said:
This was the saddest ending to an anime I have ever seen ;_;

*cried like a baby*

And they just /had/ to bring up lots of Yuuki scenes as well, UGGH.

8/10 from me.

QF freaking T except I gave it an 8 for being kinda boring sometimes in the later episodes.
My gosh that was a freaking sad ending 。・゚・(ノД`)・゚・。
Sep 18, 2009 12:21 PM
Apr 2009
Sad...
Sep 18, 2009 12:22 PM

Oct 2007
Siva said:
what else do you want them to do, sitting down crying the whole day and put all the blame on Mirai? It is not like they love one kid and not the other. People have their own way of reaction and it is not like they are not sad at all. One of the two of their kids came back to them alive after all.

Have you ever witnessed real people losing their child?
I did, but the child didn't die, just ran away and the parents looked like something died in them.
So if I see a happy family that just lost a child on TV or in an anime, it looks wrong to me.

I can understand it when Mari reacts different from what I expect 'cause she's a tough woman and doesn't show her emotions like others does, but Mirais parents look like ordinary people who should react like normal people do...
Even Mirai suffered more than her parents did.
Sep 18, 2009 1:21 PM

Mar 2008
This episode definitely confirmed how brilliant Tokyo Magnitude is. A very satisfying ending. I was one of those people who cried my eyes out too. I have to say, this is the most "believable" anime I have ever seen. Despite it losing some realism here and there, it's a work of fiction after all. But everything is certainly believable to me. Despite it being totally depressing, it was fresh and original. I hope this will be viewed as a classic someday.

10/10 I think this anime is a masterpiece.
Sep 18, 2009 1:21 PM

Aug 2007
anuarbin said:
this question is stupid, but when actually yuuki die?
too lazy for rewatch. crappy 3d model is crappy
In the hospital, the episode with three dream-like scenes.

All with all a fine anime, non-standard to me. I wouldn't call it an masterpiece or really good or something, but it's pretty interesting seeing Mirai grow from such a whiner to an actual strong(er) girl. Needed more Mari this episode, though. Well, all that's well ends well, at least for Mirai and Mari.

Still 8/10 overall. Pretty realistic.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Sep 18, 2009 1:31 PM

Oct 2007
Kiddo said:
Have you ever witnessed real people losing their child?
I did, but the child didn't die, just ran away and the parents looked like something died in them.
Do you really think I am really fortunate enough that I have never seen any of them?

So if I see a happy family that just lost a child on TV or in an anime, it looks wrong to me.
Does Mirai's family looks so happy to you in this episode? Or it was the other way around?

I can understand it when Mari reacts different from what I expect 'cause she's a tough woman and doesn't show her emotions like others does, but Mirais parents look like ordinary people who should react like normal people do...
Go back to watch episode one and see what kind of parent they are. Her father is a really calm person even after Mirai yelled out and walked off to her room he is not even say a word, it would be a totally different story if it was my dad instead.

Even Mirai suffered more than her parents did.
She was there with him the whole time. It is not like I am trying to make an excuse but if you are their parent, wouldn't it more appropriate to keep your tear inside and smile outside as much as possible? Wasn't your daughter suffering enough? Or are you trying to show off who is suffering more?

As for real life that you are referring to, you can not expected everyone to act as what you expected them to be. Even you and I have a different opinion even though we were watching the same episode. Because we don't act the same way, right?

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Sep 18, 2009 1:34 PM

Oct 2007
There should be a debriefing at the end of this show - I want to go back to the mental state I was in before watching this.

I cried 3 times at the last episode.
Sep 18, 2009 1:36 PM

Feb 2009
the last epd was very touching, it hits home

the series overall seemed pretty good to me, 8/10.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

wakka9ca - Aug 7, 2009

144 by hafizo_kurosaki »»
Jan 25, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Sporkness - Sep 10, 2009

214 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:42 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UnknownFact - Sep 4, 2009

134 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:05 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HawthorneKitty - Aug 27, 2009

180 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:12 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

porkypink - Aug 21, 2009

112 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 8:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.