Fairy Tail
Available on Manga Store
New
New or Old art style?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 28, 2014 1:58 AM

Jun 2014
When I first read the topic title I thought:

Are people saying that they like the Old man Makarov more than the younger characters in the anime?
The answer I found was: yes, they do like him more.

And what does this have to do with this?

Well, it seems the main issue is the action. I myself figured that Gray should have boring animations. After all, his magic is making stuff of out ice...not the most dynamic but probably one of the coolest things to visualize in real life! ( wordplay) *chuckles*
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Jun 28, 2014 7:31 AM
Sep 2008
The new art style and animation looks cheap. The colors are weak and the characters have too big eyes (in comparison to what they were before). Even the battles don't look very good, but since the story drags it affects the quality.
Jul 2, 2014 3:48 AM

Apr 2008
pallokala said:
The new art style and animation looks cheap. The colors are weak and the characters have too big eyes (in comparison to what they were before). Even the battles don't look very good, but since the story drags it affects the quality.

Might wanna see this

Jul 2, 2014 4:01 AM
Aug 2012
I still prefer the old art and fighting style. Character design is something that i can get used to but the old ones were better in MY opinion.

Also the action was much much better in the previous series. The removal of magic circles is a very dumb decision and the action sequence should have been like the previous season.

Honestly speaking, i am really finding it hard to enjoy FT as much as before. I really hope the action sequences improve as the series goes on.

Jul 2, 2014 4:04 AM

Apr 2008
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
I still prefer the old art and fighting style. Character design is something that i can get used to but the old ones were better in MY opinion.

Also the action was much much better in the previous series. The removal of magic circles is a very dumb decision and the action sequence should have been like the previous season.

Honestly speaking, i am really finding it hard to enjoy FT as much as before. I really hope the action sequences improve as the series goes on.

The Magic circles were never there in the manga either you know >_> except for large scale magics
Jul 2, 2014 4:19 AM
Aug 2012
Darklight0303 said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:

The Magic circles were never there in the manga either you know >_> except for large scale magics

I held myself back from reading the manga because the anime followed the story more or less faithfully (unless i am wrong on that). Those additions of magic circles were actually good so there was no need to remove them.

Anime-only watchers like us are pretty used to the old design and action sequence. Even if they change the designs, the actions should be have been like before and some(or most) of us are having a hard time adjusting.

Jul 2, 2014 4:35 AM

Apr 2008
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Darklight0303 said:

I held myself back from reading the manga because the anime followed the story more or less faithfully (unless i am wrong on that). Those additions of magic circles were actually good so there was no need to remove them.

Anime-only watchers like us are pretty used to the old design and action sequence. Even if they change the designs, the actions should be have been like before and some(or most) of us are having a hard time adjusting.

Here's the thing. The arc stopped being about the games the moment Future Lucy and her doomed timeline were revealed. So of course the Tournament fights end up being short and for some unsatisfying. A lot of people said that about the manga version too. Take the Jura and Orga scene. Both ended over the span of one page. AT least the anime added that nice panoramic shot of black lightning. In the manga you turned the next page and Orga was already on the ground eating Jura's fist.
Jul 2, 2014 5:14 AM
Aug 2012
Darklight0303 said:

Here's the thing. The arc stopped being about the games the moment Future Lucy and her doomed timeline were revealed. So of course the Tournament fights end up being short and for some unsatisfying. A lot of people said that about the manga version too. Take the Jura and Orga scene. Both ended over the span of one page. AT least the anime added that nice panoramic shot of black lightning. In the manga you turned the next page and Orga was already on the ground eating Jura's fist.

I think you misunderstood my point, i wasn't talking about fights finishing in an instant or about the short span. I meant the action sequences, which the previous series did pretty well compared to FT(2014).

Jul 3, 2014 2:28 PM
Oct 2013
I, on the other hand, think that the new anime is doing better at the fight animation, for one simple reason: They actually -animate- things. The old anime did so many "still shots", especially in the Grand Magic Games arc when it seemed like they are running out of budget and fights looked like colored manga and not animated scenes.

So far, ignoring some issues with art when it comes to minor characters, I also think they're doing a better job at adapting Hiro Mashima's art, that includes no magic circles as well. I think they were rather unnecessary in the old series.

Just gonna leave this here~
Jul 12, 2014 7:14 PM

Feb 2013
Old.
The only problem with the old one was the animation quality towards the end of the series. It seemed to get worse and worse- a lot of scenes were rather sloppy, so I was hoping for the new season they would keep the old style but bring up the quality again.

The new style is pretty cute, I guess, but it bothers me a lot. They made the female characters look way different and in a negative way. Also, did Lucy's boobs get bigger?

However the animation quality is a LOT better. The fight scenes are much cleaner and smoother, easier to watch. However the character designs are worse. So I guess it's really just half and half for me. The new style does remind me of Mashima's style a lot more, from the manga, but I prefer the old style.
Jul 28, 2014 4:23 PM

Dec 2012
Old one is much better,
New one makes them look childish.
Jul 28, 2014 4:24 PM
Dec 2013
OLD OLD OLD OLD
I MISS THE OLD FT. ;_;
It doesn't feel the same
Aug 2, 2014 10:13 AM
Sep 2007
It doesn't look all that different to me.

I guess new is a little better.
Aug 2, 2014 10:54 AM
Jul 2014
Psajdak said:
It doesn't look all that different to me.

I guess new is a little better.

same. I actually don't even notice that much of a difference.. :x
Aug 3, 2014 8:15 AM

Jan 2014
old deffinetly, poor girls look way more bad, but they imrproved few things but their worst design flip over was no more magic circles behind magics o:(((
Aug 9, 2014 7:24 PM

May 2014
picked new in the poll, but i actually dont mind either animations. i will say i like the new animation because when magic is used i.e. natsus flames they actually look separate from him and stand out a ton which seemingly makes the fights much more engaging.
Sep 7, 2015 6:19 AM
Aug 2014
Old definitely by far.

Even though the old animation doesn't suit Mashima's art style, the new animation lacks colour! Everything is just so bleak and looks gross.

One thing really gets to me is that they have stopped using magic circles and transformation sequences. Which makes the new animation really lazy.

Overall hate everything of the new animation.
Sep 7, 2015 6:35 AM

Apr 2013
Great first post!
Sep 10, 2015 8:15 AM

Aug 2014
Gator said:
Great first post!
That just shows how fans really cared about the atrocity this new FT design have become.

animation fluidity - no need to ask this one. NEW
character design - OLD. JUST OLD

I guess people were just confusing the character designs being the same as animation, though it really isn't. Unless you want larger melons and more rock-hard abs and pecs, the NEW one cannot justify the change of design in exchange for better fanservice. Hell, even Erza has UNBEARABLY LARGER BOOBS NOW..

On the other side.. ONLY LAXUS LEVELED-UP IN BADASSERY. Fu**, the desginer must have been very fond of ONLY laxus.
Sep 10, 2015 8:20 AM

Aug 2014
miskos3 said:

I remembered this part, but I didn't recall it being that godly animated. I guess I was just streaming at that time and the connection hiccups too, might that be "swirling Natsu in flames" in glorious HD?
Sep 10, 2015 8:55 AM
Mar 2015
Haeduans said:
miskos3 said:

I remembered this part, but I didn't recall it being that godly animated. I guess I was just streaming at that time and the connection hiccups too, might that be "swirling Natsu in flames" in glorious HD?

This is what was wrong with the gmg arc , wasted animation in fights that no one cared about
look at gray vs rufus ,then looks at team natsu vs garou knights, they wasted lots of money on garou knights, mira vs kamika was better than laxus vs jura,dragons arc had few good shots ,but towards the last it was clear that they were outta money, natsu vs rogue final battle had animation quality lower than natsu vs garou knights, and that was the boss battle

But the good thing is ,they have realized it , and as far as tartarus arc goes, they are definitely putting their money on right parts
Sep 10, 2015 9:21 AM

Jun 2013
milkydean said:
Haeduans said:

This is what was wrong with the gmg arc , wasted animation in fights that no one cared about
look at gray vs rufus ,then looks at team natsu vs garou knights, they wasted lots of money on garou knights, mira vs kamika was better than laxus vs jura,dragons arc had few good shots ,but towards the last it was clear that they were outta money, natsu vs rogue final battle had animation quality lower than natsu vs garou knights, and that was the boss battle

But the good thing is ,they have realized it , and as far as tartarus arc goes, they are definitely putting their money on right parts

Some fights were good animated, the Gray vs. Rufus not so much because half of it was filler. Gajeel vs. Rogue looked good, Erza vs. Minerva too, Erza vs. Minerva vs. Kagura looked decent, Natsu vs. F!Rogue same both times. And Jura vs. Laxus looked good to me. They did put more budget on important stuff.
Sep 10, 2015 10:14 AM
Mar 2015
metsujin said:
milkydean said:

Some fights were good animated, the Gray vs. Rufus not so much because half of it was filler. Gajeel vs. Rogue looked good, Erza vs. Minerva too, Erza vs. Minerva vs. Kagura looked decent, Natsu vs. F!Rogue same both times. And Jura vs. Laxus looked good to me. They did put more budget on important stuff.

Given garou knight was a extended filler fight , they looked pretty good as compared to important fights like gray vs rufus, laxus vs jura and kagura vs erza, , they could have easlily extended the important fights, natsu vs rogue first part was good, natsu riding the dragon and fighting rogue was good too, but the conclusion of the fight wasnt something you would expect from the boss fight of the arc.The boss fight should be the best animated fight, look at previous boss fights
natsu vs gajeel, makarov vs jose, zero vs df natsu, hades vs team natsu ,df natsu vs jellal, and four dragons ,they were all better than natsu vs rogue in term of animation

Currently , if you look at fights natsu vs the bird from sun village arc was fantastic
natsu s jackal
jellal vs os
df wendy vs ezel
and now the whole lucy part, the animation was great for these fights, imagine them wasting their good animation on tartarus fodders vs ft guild or fights like natsu vs franmalth , or mira vs sayla(well , i dont think anyone would have minded a better animation for this fight)
Mar 23, 2016 6:14 AM
Jan 2016
I accidentally pressed old, but i prefer the New style.
Battle sequences are much more fluid now and overall I prefer the new character designs, aside from Cana's which looks a bit weird and the dragons? Well...
I prefer Juvia's new design especially.

I never really cared much for magic circles either, i feel like they slowed things down.
Mar 23, 2016 6:28 AM

Mar 2014
Hopefully the revert back to the old for the next season.
Mar 23, 2016 10:25 AM
Oct 2013
ziggy_Z said:
Hopefully the revert back to the old for the next season.
Why do people want to degrade...
Mar 23, 2016 10:47 AM

Jan 2015
Without question the new. Old was too childish.
Mar 23, 2016 10:56 AM
May 2015
I king of like the darker color scheme but the old animation definitely put more effort into fight scenes so I'd pick them for sure
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 23, 2016 11:01 AM
May 2015
For the third season I'd prefer a third times the charm approach over reverting to either of these 2 art styles.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 23, 2016 11:40 AM

Feb 2015
SkullProX said:
Without question the new. Old was too childish.

Fairy Tail in itself is childish, so it fits.
Jun 5, 2016 8:06 AM
Jun 2016
I can say that the previous aanimation wasbetter for many reasons, one the fighting scenes were better the current ones are just horriable, they are just still and are like clips, on top of that there are those lines that appear at the background like in Pokemon. Two the current animation doesn't suite fairytail as an anime it's colors are way too dull and gloomy. Third the head to body ratio is just horriable, sometimes the characters seem normal at other times their head is just too big for their body or sometimes it's just too small for them. And for the females what is it with their boobs sometimes they are normal at other times they are gigantic and in a bad way!! The boobs were also a problem in the old animation but in the new one it's just too much! And also because the old animation brought fairytail it's fans most of us were really attached to it, so why the hell did they go and change it!!!!? If they were gonna change it couldn't they have chosen a better studio, and a problem I have with fairytail as a whole, WHY THE HELL IS THERE NO BLOOD!?
Jun 5, 2016 8:08 AM
Jun 2016
I can say that the previous aanimation wasbetter for many reasons, one the fighting scenes were better the current ones are just horriable, they are just still and are like clips, on top of that there are those lines that appear at the background like in Pokemon. Two the current animation doesn't suite fairytail as an anime it's colors are way too dull and gloomy. Third the head to body ratio is just horriable, sometimes the characters seem normal at other times their head is just too big for their body or sometimes it's just too small for them. And for the females what is it with their boobs sometimes they are normal at other times they are gigantic and in a bad way!! The boobs were also a problem in the old animation but in the new one it's just too much! And also because the old animation brought fairytail it's fans most of us were really attached to it, so why the hell did they go and change it!!!!? If they were gonna change it couldn't they have chosen a better studio, and a problem I have with fairytail as a whole, WHY THE HELL IS THERE NO BLOOD!?
Jun 7, 2016 11:11 AM
Jun 2016
Old that it ,just old was better. The new has ALOT of problems, like character designs, the animation, the horrible fight scenes, the body disproportion,the over horrible boob sizes and more!
Apr 22, 2017 5:43 AM
Apr 2016
Personally I looove the new one. Watching the first series now I feel weird as Lucy and Natsu look soooo weird. I prefer the new one as they look more like adults compared to the old one
Apr 22, 2017 5:56 AM

Nov 2016
I love this show so much that I couldn't care which style is better.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» animation

0megaH - Feb 28, 2022

12 by Cristiano456 »»
Apr 4, 7:19 PM

» Why the hate ( 1 2 )

StrayDogYato - May 13, 2021

50 by filthyfrank8142 »»
Mar 26, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail (2014) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 2, 2014

107 by Avyack »»
Mar 10, 10:17 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail (2014) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2014

136 by Avyack »»
Mar 10, 9:57 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail (2014) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2014

121 by Avyack »»
Mar 10, 9:25 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.