Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 21, 2014 1:22 PM
Apr 2014
An anime better than Clannad, Toradora, Golden Time, Oreshura, True Tears, ect. I'm trying to find an anime that is really good romance/drama but not really known if you guys know what I mean. If anyone has an opinion of a better anime just comment away!
Anime is best at your Highest content.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 21, 2014 1:23 PM
Nov 2013
Honey and Clover

Aoi Hana (read the manga after the anime)

Cross Game
Apr 21, 2014 1:30 PM

Mar 2014
Neon Genesis or Inferno Cop.
mclovinballzApr 21, 2014 1:46 PM
Apr 21, 2014 1:31 PM
Apr 2014
nucleon said:
It's too frequently asked here. Do a search with Google like this:
site:myanimelist.net/forum best romance anime

Here are my lists
Romance

Rom-Com

That's way too confusing too look at you don't even get too see what the anime is about in that. And it may be too frequently asked here cause you're constantly looking at this page^^
Apr 21, 2014 1:33 PM

Dec 2013
uhh, there is no number one anime in any area. Everyone's likes are different.
Try: http://myanimelist.net/anime/877/Nana
Also, wrong board i'm not self modding or anything
Apr 21, 2014 1:35 PM
Jan 2014
Zetrin said:
uhh, there is no number one anime in any area. Everyone's likes are different.
Try: http://myanimelist.net/anime/877/Nana

I can vouch for nana. I enjoyed that anime a lot. Most probably one of my favorites in the romance genre. I've watched clannad and Golden time and a few others ( my list is incomplete though). I certainly would recommend Nana if you haven't seen it yet.
Apr 21, 2014 1:42 PM

Dec 2012
Can't say I personally found it to be better than everything you named, but Koi Kaze is one of the better romances out there. One of the few that takes incest seriously as well.
Apr 21, 2014 1:43 PM

Jun 2011
mclovinballz said:
Neon Genesis of Inferno Cop.

Still better love story than Twilight.

Apr 21, 2014 1:49 PM

Dec 2013
WatchAnimeBaked said:
An anime better than Clannad, Toradora, Golden Time, Oreshura, True Tears, ect. I'm trying to find an anime that is really good romance/drama but not really known if you guys know what I mean. If anyone has an opinion of a better anime just comment away!

I've only seen two of those and pieces of the others, but so far Nana is the king of that genre for me. Maybe HnC and Winter Sonata distant seconds.
Apr 21, 2014 1:52 PM

Aug 2013
Sakamichi no Apollon. Jazz mixed with romance. Is there any way to go wrong with that combination? nope
Apr 21, 2014 1:55 PM

Apr 2014
Fuck idk, Clannad: After Story, idk
Nyaaaria- said:
You really are the king of marathoning

Apr 21, 2014 1:55 PM

Dec 2013
AstronomyDomine said:
Sakamichi no Apollon. Jazz mixed with romance. Is there any way to go wrong with that combination? nope

+1 Another one my favs.
Apr 21, 2014 2:00 PM

Mar 2014
Kaichou wa maid-sama #1
Apr 21, 2014 2:02 PM

Jul 2011
How is clannad real romance?
Apr 21, 2014 2:03 PM

Mar 2014
Extreme3708 said:

Big-eyed alien chicks are kawaii.
Apr 21, 2014 2:05 PM

Apr 2014
Extreme3708 said:
It's rated Romance in the genre, mate
Nyaaaria- said:
You really are the king of marathoning

Apr 21, 2014 2:07 PM

Jul 2012
/resists to mention Nodame Cantabile ahhhhh

Proust said:
AstronomyDomine said:

+1 Another one my favs.

+2 Same. Only problem was it that was a bit rushed in the end but still, one of the top "one cour" shows I've ever seen.

Rashkolnikov said:
Cross Game

It was more of a subplot tbh. I mean

pLaguE_ said:
Kaichou wa maid-sama #1

I hope you're joking LOL. It was just another shoujo romcom with a pair of Mary Sue/Gary Stu protags (one being a tsundere) that went through a lot of silly antics. Yes, it's a fun and enjoyable show. No, the romance was not realistic or written well. There was barely any development through out other than "Usui, you baka" and "Aizawa, you're cute"
MayukaApr 21, 2014 2:10 PM
Apr 21, 2014 2:15 PM

Mar 2012
ef-a tale of memories gets my vote...outside of Clannad.
Apr 21, 2014 2:27 PM
Nov 2013
mayukachan said:
/

Rashkolnikov said:
Cross Game

It was more of a subplot tbh. I mean

Yeah yeah, I agree with you, still better than Clannad and such.
Apr 21, 2014 2:28 PM

Mar 2014
mayukachan said:

pLaguE_ said:
Kaichou wa maid-sama #1

I hope you're joking LOL. It was just another shoujo romcom with a pair of Mary Sue/Gary Stu protags (one being a tsundere) that went through a lot of silly antics. Yes, it's a fun and enjoyable show. No, the romance was not realistic or written well. There was barely any development through out other than "Usui, you baka" and "Aizawa, you're cute"

Realistically no, I don't think it's #1. I just found it to be a fun series and it did rom/com genre's justice.
Apr 21, 2014 2:30 PM
Aug 2011
No god Kaichou wa maid-sama is a complete joke as far as romance goes and only hurts the genre as far as i'm concerned.
Apr 21, 2014 2:36 PM
Mar 2013
I don't understand why people think Maid-Sama was so bad.
I thought it was a relaxed, funny romance anime, the love progression was fairly quick compared to anime like Kimi ni Todoke which took two seasons for the two main characters to confess their love.
I enjoyed it in all honesty.
Apr 21, 2014 2:37 PM

Jul 2011
Wh1t3 said:
Extreme3708 said:

Sooo?? There was no real romantic drama between nagisa and tomoya. Never reviving a club had been so dramatic. Did they even kiss on screen?
Apr 21, 2014 2:37 PM
Nov 2013
EnglishOtaku said:
I thought it was a relaxed, funny romance anime, the love progression was fairly quick compared to anime like Kimi ni Todoke which took two seasons for the two main characters to confess their love.

Is not bad if you enjoy watching something extremely stupid.
Apr 21, 2014 2:39 PM
Dec 2013
Inu x Boku SS

Hotarubi no Mori e

Ef a tale of memories.
Apr 21, 2014 2:41 PM

Jul 2012
Rashkolnikov said:
Yeah yeah, I agree with you, still better than Clannad and such.

Isn't everything? loljks don't hunt me, Clannad fans :v

Extreme3708 said:
Wh1t3 said:
Extreme3708 said:

Sooo?? There was no real romantic drama between nagisa and tomoya. Never reviving a club had been so dramatic. Did they even kiss on screen?

nono thats not a good argument. My reason why I didn't really think it was a good romance is that there isn't a development between the two characters. They were friends and that was obvious but when they actually confessed and stuff, I could not see why because there's no romantic development in the middle, like a "crushing phase". I really could not see them more than just really close friends who took care of each other, but not in a romantic light.

EnglishOtaku said:
I don't understand why people think Maid-Sama was so bad. I thought it was a relaxed, funny romance anime, the love progression was fairly quick compared to anime like Kimi ni Todoke which took two seasons for the two main characters to confess their love.

Wait, there was a love progression? From what I remember in the anime, they still never started dating yet. KnT at least had character development. I enjoyed it too, but I don't think it was great.
-quoted from my post in episode 26 discussion-

To sum up what happened in this show:
Misaki falls in a trap, Usui comes to save her, she blushes like crazy, Usui says something cute to her, she says "I-I hate you, you baka", he smiles, the end.
Apr 21, 2014 2:43 PM

Dec 2013
EnglishOtaku said:

Because the characters felt like,
http://madebyjoel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Made-by-Joel-Cardboard-Cutouts-1.jpg

Another k-romance I'd recommend, especially if older artwork and extended drama doesn't bother you, is Hana Yori Dango. Lots of romance and pretty good music. Just finished Paradise Kiss and that was 'ok'. Not in the same league as Nana or others mentioned though.

Two others I haven't seen but are on my PTW list are Hataraki Man and Millennium Actress, the latter I'm told is a masterpiece.

And of course, Planetes and Spice and Wolf, but those are popularly known.
DouluoApr 21, 2014 3:06 PM
Apr 21, 2014 2:58 PM
Aug 2011
EnglishOtaku said:

The last line in Maid-sama was

I get she's supposed to be all cute, tsundere, and blushy about it but a relationship like that isn't cute.
standApr 21, 2014 3:06 PM
Apr 21, 2014 3:04 PM

Jul 2012
Proust said:
Two others I haven't seen but are on my PTW list are Hataraki Man and Millennium Actress, the latter I'm told is a masterpiece,

Oh yes. Millennium is fantastic. Probably not a FULL romance cus...Should I spoiler? I guess I will.
Apr 21, 2014 3:12 PM

Dec 2013
@OP,

This isn't romance, but the last OVA of Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen, especially the last 10min, is the most dramatic/romantic, realistic, soul-crushing scene I've ever witnessed in anime. Add in that incredible music and the fact it's based on real historical events...Watch it.
Apr 21, 2014 3:36 PM

Sep 2013
Right now the only thing that comes to my mind is ef: A Tale of Memories...
Apr 21, 2014 3:39 PM

Aug 2009
School Days.

Not trrolling. Legitimate interest. Gave it a 9/10 because fuck harems.

Apr 21, 2014 4:02 PM

Mar 2014
School Days obviously.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Apr 21, 2014 4:08 PM

Dec 2013
This is gonna get good...
Apr 21, 2014 4:09 PM

Mar 2014
School Days
Apr 21, 2014 4:53 PM
Apr 2014
I've seen school days. It's an amazing anime. I'd actually like an anime where the lead character gets dragged into a relationship and builds his way up and somehow gets to like the person or like uh.... Girlfriend Appearance? Something like that I can't think of it. It's like Oreshura if anyone has seen that anime.
Apr 21, 2014 4:55 PM

Mar 2014
WatchAnimeBaked said:
I've seen school days. It's an amazing anime. I'd actually like an anime where the lead character gets dragged into a relationship and builds his way up and somehow gets to like the person or like uh.... Girlfriend Appearance? Something like that I can't think of it. It's like Oreshura if anyone has seen that anime.

wut the fuk
Apr 21, 2014 5:00 PM

Jun 2009
Topic Moved
Belongs in recommendations~

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Apr 21, 2014 5:04 PM

Jan 2014
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo ;)!
Apr 21, 2014 5:17 PM

Dec 2009
When you say 'not really known', it makes me think about hidden gems that are underrated or under the radar/not popular. Or it could still mean, great romance animes that you haven't watched yet.

I'll do my best none of the less.
- Air (I personally enjoyed it, especially with the full package by watching its movie and special)
- Amagami SS (a romance anime where its styled like a sim-dating game (visual novel), meaning the story really shows one protagonist, with each romance story of the heroines he goes into a relationship. Just like a VN. --Trust me, give it a chance. It's truly another experience)

- Chobits (a nice soft romance with a man falling in love with a robot)
...before I get more into my list. I will admit these aren't better than Clannad or Toradora! ...and to be honest Golden Time was horrible but... w/e. They all have their own great taste in story. So they're all great in their own way, even if its not masterpiece level.

*ef - a tale of memories (though, THAT one is really ...a super and one of the best romance animes out there. Followed by its sequel. But the first one really is the best one out of the two. But they're both amazing. Very popular because its so great)
- Eureka Seven (a world of mecha w/ a boy who loves an alien girl and they fight against the world/its aliens)
- Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha. (very cute but... since I didn't complete it yet I don't know if it followed the manga or if it ended in filler)
- *Kanon (2006) ..I think it can speak for itself. Pretty awesome.
- *Kimi Ni Todoke (probably one of the best shoujo romance animes)
- *Kokoro Connect (a new twist type of romance story. A group of friends who have weird powers that influence their life and even their romance)
- *Nyan Koi! (very... funny cute and ... you'll see, extrememly unique. unfortunately it ended on filler and the manga is still running)
- Special A (a nice fast cute romance)

- Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
- *Spice and Wolf
waalex11Apr 21, 2014 5:25 PM
Apr 22, 2014 2:36 AM
Mar 2013

I wouldn't say Misaki believed Usui to be a creep, shes a tsun-shun so it doesn't surprise me that she'd get flustered and call him a sexual harasser, an idiot etc. I thought a few off the moments in MS were quite cute but overall I thought it was a nice, relaxed romance anime.
Apr 22, 2014 2:38 AM
Mar 2013
Rashkolnikov said:
EnglishOtaku said:

Is not bad if you enjoy watching something extremely stupid.

I wouldn't call it stupid, it was more along the lines of not taking itself too seriously.
Apr 22, 2014 2:41 AM
Mar 2013
WatchAnimeBaked said:

I hope you're joking, the only things that come to mind when I think of school days are: nice boats, sex maniacs and whores.

Makoto was just an awful MC
Apr 22, 2014 10:53 AM
Apr 2014
Well when I was 15 School days was really a reference to how my life was going at the time except I didn't get my head chopped off. I cheated on 2 girls and I watched school days and I thought it was amazing because it resembled me a little bit. It's my opinion so...
Apr 22, 2014 12:27 PM

Feb 2013
my #1 in romance is ef a tale of memories
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Apr 22, 2014 2:06 PM
Apr 2014
Mmm... I vote fore the Rose of Versailles! there is more drama than romance, the animation is dated but it's strangely addictive (it's actually my favorite shoujo series). Maison Ikkoku is a classic, but it's also dated and it's pretty lengthy. Nana is great too. I don't watch too many romance anime but these, I particularly enjoy.
Apr 22, 2014 5:17 PM

Feb 2014
School Days just because.
Apr 25, 2014 5:27 PM

Apr 2014
Haven't seen many romance anime. Will use these suggestions as reference.
Have you worshiped our Empress today?

Apr 25, 2014 6:39 PM

Jan 2014
pLaguE_ said:
Kaichou wa maid-sama

Anime covers about 1/3 of what happens in the manga so OP, if your going to watch this, you should read the manga after your done. I dont know how you feel about romance manga but this one is good to check out, imo anyways.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Good romantic anime

Roni1703 - 2 hours ago

1 by blackmirrorerror »»
22 minutes ago

» idea blo

blackmirrorerror - 41 minutes ago

0 by blackmirrorerror »»
41 minutes ago

» Recommend me Action+Adventure Anime based on my List

Chisuku - Today

5 by mo_lave »»
4 hours ago

» A girl who wears stylish glasses

Nagi_Karman - 7 hours ago

2 by Ohayotaku »»
5 hours ago

» Anime with a villain who can change appearance and impersonate the protagonists?

Gfralp - Yesterday

3 by Khashishi »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.