Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 11, 2014 1:44 PM
Mar 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nice, an entire episode dedicated to Ken aka the digimon emperor. His brother Sam was a bit of a jerk to be honest. He just assumes that the digivice is his because he's older >:(

I'm glad Wormmon is back though. His return was much quicker than I expected, not that I'm complaining.
Apr 14, 2014 9:45 AM

Oct 2010
I teared up. Such a tragic past. Glad he saw the error of his ways and can improve as a person.
Jun 20, 2014 12:07 AM

May 2013
This has got to be one of the more compelling backstory's in all of anime. Just waiting for the show to really become as good as this episode shows it can(watched it in Japanese and don't know if the story is changed any in the English version).
Jun 20, 2014 6:52 AM
Mar 2013
KenpachisPein said:
This has got to be one of the more compelling backstory's in all of anime. Just waiting for the show to really become as good as this episode shows it can(watched it in Japanese and don't know if the story is changed any in the English version).
I just took a look at the Japanese version and I can say there wasn't much of a change from the english version apart from the minor translation differences. Basically, you aren't missing anything if you watch it in Japanese or English.

Digimon does a really good job with character backstory for the most part. That's one reason why I'll always treasure the first two seasons of Digimon. And this is just the beginning, there will be much more story to come in the later episodes.
Jun 21, 2014 9:40 PM

May 2013
emeraldrosary said:
KenpachisPein said:
I just took a look at the Japanese version and I can say there wasn't much of a change from the english version apart from the minor translation differences. Basically, you aren't missing anything if you watch it in Japanese or English.

Digimon does a really good job with character backstory for the most part. That's one reason why I'll always treasure the first two seasons of Digimon. And this is just the beginning, there will be much more story to come in the later episodes.

Yeah I watched it when it first aired English dubbed but that is so long ago it is impossible to remember. Thanks for taking the time to check into that, I'm glad they didn't destroy that story like some dubs tend to do :).
Jun 22, 2014 4:35 PM
Mar 2013
It was my pleasure! I've never had the chance to see the japanese version and it was interesting experience. I mainly stick to the dub out of nostalgia and love for the VA but I wouldn't mind watching it in Japanese either. Perhaps in the future if I decide to re-watch it again.
Aug 5, 2014 2:09 PM

Feb 2011
What a tragic past... So was Osamu being selfish by keeping the device? I don't think he was able to use it, only Ken would've been able to since it was his. I wonder what the group was like that he met the first time he went?

BABY WORMMON IS SO FRICKIN' CUTE
眠れないのは君のせい
Aug 21, 2014 1:01 PM

Dec 2009
Absolutely loved this episode!! I'm glad we finally got a back-story for one the new characters and I'm ever happier that it was for Ken. So tragic, but it also explains a lot. No wonder Wormmon kept saying remembered what Ken was like "back then".

I'm not complaining that Wormmon came back as quick as he did either. The scene where Ken thought he was never going to get Wormmon back broke my heart, can't wait to see where the show goes from here
Apr 27, 2015 2:31 AM
Jun 2012
Interesting episode, Ken is one of the more compelling characters in Digimon.
Jun 22, 2016 11:49 AM

Feb 2013
I wonder who was the one sending him messages when he was a kid.
Feb 13, 2017 6:40 AM

Dec 2010
Second best episode in Adventure 02. Compelling backstory of an interesting character. It is really deep story for a childrens` show, and pretty deep overall. 3 episodes ago everybody hated Ken, because he was one of the biggest assholes ever and now we have no choice but to feel sympathy for him. Good job.
Apr 27, 2017 5:41 AM

Apr 2017
Chouninatte said:
What a tragic past... So was Osamu being selfish by keeping the device? I don't think he was able to use it, only Ken would've been able to since it was his. I wonder what the group was like that he met the first time he went?

There appears a new character (completely unnamed) in this chapter called "Ryo", which has a very large backstory and might be related with other digimon universes.

But watch out because looking for info about Ryo might spoil you something about this season.

Anyway, this was a great episode, i loved Ken backstory and explanation of what happened.

Notice how his digivice was "bathed" in the dark ocean first, so as to turn it dark.
--------
Nov 11, 2019 5:39 PM

May 2008
A wild Ryo appears!

But, for me, this is the best episode so far. The main flaw I have is Ken's Digivice and Crest; it's impossible for him to be a part of the first group, but he simply doesn't work with the concept of the org 8. If he didn't have a Crest (which he doesn't need (and the whole thing about him being "kind" was really rammed down the viewers' throat) and they changed the look of his Digivice, it wouldn't feel tacked-on. It's the same with Micheal.

Those who came after the org 8 should have their own unique digivices or a D-3 from the beginning to signify the shift from "Chosen" to "Anyone" this season wants to promote.

Another version: you-know-who somehow knew about the digivice. Why not make him the creator of a few? They can be based on the D-3, like a prototype, and those are susceptible to the Dark Ocean's influence which combined with Ken's own inner darkness is what basically turned him evil. The fact Kaiser's D-3 can stop regular evolutions to be contribute to this rather than it just happens "because". Granted, maybe that tidbit is explained later on, but I'll see. This would also fix the major hole in this ep of "Ken gets mad, digivice comes out of the computer" - which one of the many dumb things that have happened.

Hmm. Does Ryo's digivice just change depending on what universe/generation he's in?

Beyond that, I liked the rest of this; it's all good. It's a shame it's in this season; it feels like something that belongs to Tamers. Though the baby digimon preaching to him was amusing and weird in 1.63x speed.
SakariiNov 11, 2019 5:48 PM
Apr 23, 2020 10:05 AM

Aug 2016
It´s a shame how great this episode was compared to most of the previous ones. They had the chance make a digimon story from the point of view of the villian, but waited 23 episodes to do it.
:v
Apr 25, 2020 7:34 AM

Jan 2017
Great episode (or maybe even the best out of the 23 episodes so far), just goes to show one shouldn't simply wish for something they would regret later

Only downside I got for this ep is the concept of "Chosen Children" that Adventure presented us, shouldn't Devimon known about Ken earlier?
May 11, 2022 12:57 AM

Jul 2013
Ken sounded like Gollum when he cherished his digivice that had just turned dark. Their backstories are also quite similar I think. :D

More topics from this board

Poll: » Digimon Adventure 02 Episode 32 Discussion

emeraldrosary - Apr 11, 2014

7 by ImVodkAna »»
Apr 12, 1:39 PM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure 02 Episode 50 Discussion

FarAwayTimes - Nov 12, 2010

30 by ReeeDr »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:44 AM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure 02 Episode 27 Discussion

emeraldrosary - Apr 11, 2014

11 by Veck8699 »»
Oct 25, 2023 11:24 AM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure 02 Episode 17 Discussion

Chouninatte - Mar 27, 2014

7 by Veck8699 »»
Oct 23, 2023 10:31 AM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure 02 Episode 8 Discussion

dolphin456 - Apr 5, 2012

9 by PureStone »»
Aug 5, 2023 11:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.