Forum Settings
Forums

Episode 3 of Shigofumi altered due to 'recent events'

New
Jan 18, 2008 12:19 PM

May 2007
According the official website for Shigofumi, the third episode that was aired January 16 was "altered in light of recent circumstances in the society at large". It also includes an apology for the lack of advance notice on the change, and asks on behalf the staff and cast for the audience's understanding on the matter.

Shigofumi: Stories of Last Letter is the story of a girl who delivers the last letter from the dead to those left behind. In the third episode entitled "Friends", the story focuses on three friends after one commits suicide. The father of the dead boy later enters the friends classroom and violently demands and explanation for his sons death.

With the lack of detail on behalf of the website and the recent alterations or preemptions of anime series such as School Days, Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai, and Kodomo no Jikan, fans have been left to debate about current criminal events as the reason. Possibly the 18-year-old boy's alleged murders of his mother, brother, and sister on January 9, or the shotgun rampage that left three people, including the suspected shooter, dead on December 14 is the need for the alteration.

source: ANN
DarkangerJan 18, 2008 5:53 PM

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. ~Socrates
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jan 18, 2008 12:36 PM

Jan 2008
Well...i'm curious how much they altered (we won't know whats mising until DVD release anyway)
But i guess i'll be awaiting the DVDs anyway. Just like with Higurashi. The second season was....pussified compared to the first.
Jan 18, 2008 1:50 PM

Nov 2007
*sigh*

this censorship is going to drive ME crazy. they should be blaming "recent circumstances" on their own culture and the guardians that raise the kids.

i grew up watching horror movies as my favorite genre, the most controversial video games were some of my favorite (from old school death race to GTA and DMC, etc.), i've spent countless hours on mmorpg's w/o committing suicide, and i've watched some of the most bloodiest, the horrific, the controversial anime (according to japan, "in light of recent circumstances") and i haven't taken a hatchet to anyone's brain or try to kill off boyfriends who've cheated with a notebook.

maybe if the distinction between reality and fantasy was set at a young age, children wouldn't grow up thinking they could fly and not meet gravity-san.

also, blaming video games and whatnot for your own crimes is just pathetic. unfortunately, taking responsibility has been deemed impossible for the majority of the world population~

i want my uncensored anime!! >:(
Jan 18, 2008 2:19 PM

Oct 2007
I can understand them blaming School Days for some violent events but, Higurashi Season 2? There was not as much bloodshed in there, sure there might have been a bazooka, but it was never fired. And how the hell can they blame Kodomo no Jikan for the recent spike in violence? Don't tell me it involved that scene where that dude fainted from seeing safety scissors? X_x
Jan 18, 2008 3:09 PM

Aug 2007
WTF !!!1!!1one

I can't believe they continue doing this, it's just so fucking stupid to censor anime for stupid reasons like "recent circumstances", at least they could tell what's going on... maybe someone is sending letters pretending to be the little girl... w/e I don't give a shit I just want my anime.

(I'm sorry for my excessive use of foul language, I just can't get hold of myself when I lose control)
Jan 18, 2008 4:00 PM

Aug 2007
>_>

<_<

(refers to ep 1)
STAB HIM AGAIN AND AGAIN. MAKE HIM BLEEEEEED
Jan 18, 2008 6:23 PM

Sep 2007
Oh yeah now people in Area Eleven are blaming bad parenting on the entertainment industry. Way to go north america we infected them too. -_- Hopefully we will still and forever have the uncensored DVD releases...
Jan 18, 2008 6:29 PM

Sep 2007
Wow. This is becoming a natural thing. It isn't even suprising anymore.
Jan 18, 2008 7:04 PM

Aug 2007
Bah, and Shigofumi is good, too.
Usotsuki. 
Jan 18, 2008 9:20 PM
Sep 2007
chryseis said:
*sigh*

this censorship is going to drive ME crazy. they should be blaming "recent circumstances" on their own culture and the guardians that raise the kids.

i grew up watching horror movies as my favorite genre, the most controversial video games were some of my favorite (from old school death race to GTA and DMC, etc.), i've spent countless hours on mmorpg's w/o committing suicide, and i've watched some of the most bloodiest, the horrific, the controversial anime (according to japan, "in light of recent circumstances") and i haven't taken a hatchet to anyone's brain or try to kill off boyfriends who've cheated with a notebook.

maybe if the distinction between reality and fantasy was set at a young age, children wouldn't grow up thinking they could fly and not meet gravity-san.

also, blaming video games and whatnot for your own crimes is just pathetic. unfortunately, taking responsibility has been deemed impossible for the majority of the world population~

i want my uncensored anime!! >:(

i agree they need 2 teach the kids the right thing 2 do after all is the kid is learning about how 2 deal with life from video games and anime/movies where is the parent thats supposed 2 do that?
Jan 18, 2008 9:26 PM

Jun 2007
Kodomo no Jikan is disgusting pedo crap.

Anyways Japan has ALWAYS been a sensitive country when it comes to things like this.
Jan 18, 2008 9:30 PM

Aug 2007
I read about this. Looks like there are alot of murder happening in Japan, right after some weird anime comes out. Maybe its the anime? nahh.
Jan 19, 2008 3:23 AM

Jan 2008
Most parents think their duty is to provide food and shelter for their child, that school will teach them knowledge and morals. Schools think parents will teach their kids whats right and wrong, because its not their job to preach to kids.

Thats how we end up with bad kids.

The only thing anime is responsible for is people staring at their monitors, laughing, crying, and fapping.

These censorship moves arent necessarily made because people in high positions actually believe anime is responsible for crimes, but because they need to be seen doing something, and they're either too incompetant or have no funds to do so, so they go the easy route and censor some media which will placate the witless parents who have no idea the problem is all their fault.

And yes: its always the parents fault. Eveything begins with them, they are their child's first contact in this world and their main source of 'inspiration', if you will. The problem is too many lousy parents in this world.

End Rant.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 19, 2008 3:35 AM
Dec 2007
DjRyuji said:
Obviously you were unable to see beyond the Loli fanservice. *shrug* Oh, interesting to see you saw episode 2147483647 of Bleach already. Is it where Ichigo, after a long fight with his shampoo, gives up the fight to smooth out his hair? Hehe.

Devilmore said:
But i guess i'll be awaiting the DVDs anyway. Just like with Higurashi. The second season was....pussified compared to the first.
I think I'll develop an eternal frown at this rate. Pussified...more like they didn't need excessive bloodshed to get the message across.

I'd like to know though, why is the need to alter after-the-fact? Are they thinking the relatives or concerned parents will dog them if they release an episode with a similar event? Seriously, why do people think running away from reality will make reality less harsh. Or maybe they want to justify themselves by means of a scapegoat. Funny how even in this way humans are selfish beings. They basically try to save themselves from guilt, instead pushing the blame to someone else.
Leon-GunJan 19, 2008 3:39 AM

Jan 19, 2008 12:01 PM

Jun 2007
Leon-Gun said:
DjRyuji said:
Obviously you were unable to see beyond the Loli fanservice. *shrug* Oh, interesting to see you saw episode 2147483647 of Bleach already. Is it where Ichigo, after a long fight with his shampoo, gives up the fight to smooth out his hair? Hehe.

Hahaha!

Jan 19, 2008 3:47 PM

Sep 2007
I have one word... FAIL!
Jan 19, 2008 7:02 PM

Jun 2007
People will always try and find a scapegoat (such as videogames and anime) because it simply makes things easier for them. God forbid they actually try and resolve the situation...
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Jan 19, 2008 7:22 PM

Nov 2006
Leon-Gun said:
Devilmore said:
I think I'll develop an eternal frown at this rate. Pussified...more like they didn't need excessive bloodshed to get the message across.
THANK YOU.
Jan 19, 2008 9:21 PM

Nov 2007
I thought higurashi kai was great, and I didn't even know that it'd been censored at all? :P

Pussified doesn't describe Kai either. It's not like there was no violence, and I can't think of any scenes where more violence would've been necessary?

Anyway, totally agree with everyone about censorship and that Parents raise children, not their teachers or their choice of entertainment.
Jan 19, 2008 9:24 PM

Jun 2007
Fang-tan said:

i couldnt agree more
is this where i must put my sig? :D
Jan 19, 2008 9:28 PM

Feb 2007
amf said:
Fang-tan said:
Wow. This is becoming a natural thing. It isn't even surprising anymore.

i couldn't agree more

Same here. The thing that agitates me the most is the Higurashi Kai hate from Post 2.
Jan 19, 2008 9:51 PM

Sep 2007
It is so unfortunate that parents are not able to take blame for bad parenting or that a child is not able to take responsibility for their actions. How is it that we are supposed to teach our children the consequences of their actions is directly related to the severity of the actions they took when they see that society simply uses a scapegoat such as anime, movies/television, video/computer games, and music as the reason for unfortunate events? I don't blame the anime. If it is that bloody/violent, sexual, or graphic, then maybe the parent should pick up the remot and turn the tv off, or better yet, set the parental controls that are now standar with every tv. If you don't like it, turn it off.

It is unfortunate because often when an anime is censored in some way, it takes a vital or interesting piece of the story with it. The beauty of a story lies within the details and their meanings. Had I not seen the last uncensored episode of School Days, the story would have been far less powerful. Society truly bends to the wims and will of the minority rather than the majority. *sigh* Oh well. Guess I will have to wait and see the uncensored version later to see what all the panic was about.
Jan 20, 2008 6:34 PM

Oct 2007
DjRyuji said:

First time i heard crap talk about crap

Anyways, I sorta get were there coming from they just don't wanna piss of people that don't watch anime as much as hardcore, softcore, and mediocre viewers. Us fans have just been unlucky :P

If we need someone to blame, its the people who can't bottle up their emotions like the rest of us. Suck it up, bottle it up, punch punching bags, and watch Anime, if you get angry. Thats how I live, and thats how other people should live...
Jan 20, 2008 7:20 PM
Sep 2007
Again? Oh crap.........
Jan 20, 2008 7:30 PM

Dec 2007
This is just ridiculous, such things don't happen due to the influence of violence in anime but because of their own circumstances leading up to the event. I think most people are in enough of a right mind to grasp that what they are watching is fictional, so it should not be blamed so easily.
Jan 20, 2008 11:38 PM

Dec 2007
Leon-Gun said:
DjRyuji said:

Congratulations. You've proven that people have different interests.

Such is life...
Jan 21, 2008 2:45 AM

Sep 2007
Nobody wants to babysit their brats, so they blame the entertainment industry when things go wrong, because the use the TV as a babysitter, but don't want to bother making sure if anything is suitable for their children. So producers and whoever have to cover their ass by doing things like this.

Am I making any sense? D;
Jan 21, 2008 8:29 AM

Sep 2007
It's so stupid to blame anime and movies and other things for violence. Especially 'cos violence existed even before these... I mean after Johann Wolfgang Goethe wrote his roman The Sorrows of Young Werther many many people commited suicide, and what happend? The roman became know world wide, and it's required reading in most of the schools in my country *sigh* -_-

People really should learn not to blame others but themselves. Parents and family are always the first to blame, second are the friends, and just after that comes media IMHO.
Jan 21, 2008 10:15 AM

Oct 2007
Darkreaper70 said:
I read about this. Looks like there are alot of murder happening in Japan, right after some weird anime comes out. Maybe its the anime? nahh.

But... anime is CONSTANTLY being released in Japan. Or at least that's how I understand it.

Jan 21, 2008 10:33 AM

Jan 2008
Fang-tan said:

I completely agree.

Jan 21, 2008 10:59 AM
Dec 2007
Juliab said:
Darkreaper70 said:

But... anime is CONSTANTLY being released in Japan. Or at least that's how I understand it.
Yes, that's correct. They are just using it as a scapegoat, the same way videogames are.

Jan 21, 2008 6:37 PM
Nov 2007
*loves animes where things liek this happens* xD
yay !

sucks for the fans =\
but meh, we're all used to it by now neh? xD
Jan 22, 2008 12:56 PM

Nov 2007
=/ i want uncensored anime back no pussified animes blood flying all over the place blood spattering on walls disemboweled torsos flying in the air those were the days

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Jan 22, 2008 2:44 PM
Dec 2007
Reks said:
=/ i want uncensored anime back no pussified animes blood flying all over the place blood spattering on walls disemboweled torsos flying in the air those were the days
Your mind fills the blanks. Why do you need to see such crude images to feel satisfaction?

Jan 23, 2008 3:41 PM

Nov 2007
This sucks!! Tampering with the original story is never good. It normally ends up being a last mintue rush job which makes no sense, which makes a perfectly enjoyable anime, complete and utter crap. =(

I agree with everyone about the media blame game BS.......for godsake take responsiblity for your own actions or go lock yourself up in a mental home if your convinced that inanimate objects are tell you to do bad things.

*still playing around and getting use to the sig settings thingy*
Jan 23, 2008 11:14 PM
Nov 2007
Leon-Gun said:
DjRyuji said:

Devilmore said:

I'd like to know though, why is the need to alter after-the-fact? Are they thinking the relatives or concerned parents will dog them if they release an episode with a similar event? Seriously, why do people think running away from reality will make reality less harsh. Or maybe they want to justify themselves by means of a scapegoat. Funny how even in this way humans are selfish beings. They basically try to save themselves from guilt, instead pushing the blame to someone else.

ill give you an example of why they would alter a show

just an example

your family was beaten then killed, you witnessed the event and saw in detailed of the

mauling of your family. the attackers later committed four other similar events which gained notoriety for the horrific scene of events.

since this was in the japan(example) animators for new ideas decide to make a similar show, but decide to alter the showing out of kindness

, look i hate the altering just as much, but come on people wake up,
dont be ass-holes.

what if they made a episode on the Virginia tech shooting, how do you think people would react
same thing applies
s8ntnickJan 24, 2008 10:50 PM
compare and request discussion on anime please,

Jan 25, 2008 11:20 AM
Dec 2007
I actually wouldn't give a thought about it. How many movies have we seen of World War 2? Give it time, and we will see movies/shows take ideas from things as recent as the war in Afganisthan/Iraq, The Twin Tower's destruction or the Virginia Tech incident. Actually, we already got a Twin Tower's film. Just a matter of time until they use the Virginia Tech thing.

Maybe I would think differently if I was involved, but that's a huge maybe.

The thing is, that we don't know if the alteration was really something so huge. Perhaps all they did was remove a bit of gore and the episode's theme and message remained the same (seemed that way to me). If that was the case then I don't mind, as long as the episode retains it's original message and feeling.

Overall, I don't mind losing a bit of gore or anything unnecessary. But I don't care about the way the media feels like they have to cover themselves from outraging people just because said people can't face reality.

Feb 4, 2008 2:57 AM

Sep 2007
s8ntnick said:
Leon-Gun said:
DjRyuji said:

Devilmore said:

ill give you an example of why they would alter a show

just an example

your family was beaten then killed, you witnessed the event and saw in detailed of the

mauling of your family. the attackers later committed four other similar events which gained notoriety for the horrific scene of events.

since this was in the japan(example) animators for new ideas decide to make a similar show, but decide to alter the showing out of kindness

, look i hate the altering just as much, but come on people wake up,
dont be ass-holes.

what if they made a episode on the Virginia tech shooting, how do you think people would react
same thing applies

coughtexaschainsawmassacrecough

I think internet should have a grammar test you must take before accessing it. It would filter out so many stupid posts that have points about as thick as a piece of notebook paper.

As someone already said, if you don't want to watch it, change the channel. If you don't want your kids to watch it, use parental controls or watch them yourself instead of being a lazy piece of shit parent.
TheDrunkenShadowFeb 4, 2008 3:00 AM
Feb 4, 2008 3:11 AM

Nov 2007
Honestly, it didn't really bother me. The edits were fairly subtle in most of the scenes, was only one where ~a quarter of the screen (lower-left corner) was blacked out that I even noticed. Maybe if you're really looking for them it'll upset you, but to me the way it was done in this episode was no different to excessive steam/fog in bath type scenes.
Feb 7, 2008 9:15 PM
Nov 2007

coughtexaschainsawmassacrecough

I think internet should have a grammar test you must take before accessing it. It would filter out so many stupid posts that have points about as thick as a piece of notebook paper.

As someone already said, if you don't want to watch it, change the channel. If you don't want your kids to watch it, use parental controls or watch them yourself instead of being a lazy piece of shit parent.

word still gets around, however i do agree with what you say parents can control majority of what their kids watch, as in my posting earlier i explained how the editors could have viewed it more as sympathy more than anything. but point well taken
compare and request discussion on anime please,

Feb 20, 2008 7:21 PM

Oct 2007
i don't think there is anything in Japan that's safe from editing anymore. They're afraid of violence on the rise there like it is in the US =_=
Mar 2, 2008 7:59 AM

Sep 2007
There's always the need for a scapegoat to be blamed and the target icon happens to fall on the animes with "violent and disturbing" contents. Its nothing more than an excuse to appease the public and in my book it translates to nonsensical B**L S**T. Everyone knows that and yet goes along with it just to believe that something is done to prevent cases such as these.

As if a few episodes of "life in a negative light" is sufficient to alter someone to take up these actions. If that proves to be the case, the problem lies in the upbringing and the moral aspects of the individuals involved. The blamed subjects are just a mere spark and it could come in far too many forms. If these animes deserves to be blamed than anyone online can be a murderer by flaming others.
InfernalMar 2, 2008 8:27 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 4 hours ago

6 by DrHizzle »»
55 minutes ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

9 by Maumuu »»
2 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
7 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
8 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.