Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 30, 2009 7:27 PM

Aug 2009
I have just watched Ouran Host Club and Fruits Basket and while I love the innocence and comedy of them I am severely let down by the ending. I want an anime with the same type of atmosphere and comedy but with a romance that actually develops into a proper relationship! Not all this implied crap. I dont care if they are shy and and thick in the beginning I just want to see them get together in the end and god forbid a kiss maybe to. Please for the love help me.

NB: Would prefer a reverse harem if it is a harem genre.
Aug 30, 2009 7:35 PM

Jun 2008
Please Teacher!!
I'm back.
Aug 30, 2009 9:24 PM

Aug 2009
Hmm that one seems good. More like that please :D
Also I should add to the list that I like the animation style in Vampire Knight. Nice and detailed ^_^

Too picky?
Aug 30, 2009 9:45 PM

Jan 2009
Lovely Complex, a great comedy, ending is kinda open ended but there is still a conclusion to the actual relationship.

Maison Ikkoku, its 96 episodes but it has one of the most romantic endings ever.

Itazura na Kiss, a good anime about the actual relationship between two people. Very good warm ending.
Aug 30, 2009 10:32 PM

Apr 2008
burntlettuce said:
Maison Ikkoku, its 96 episodes but it has one of the most romantic endings ever.

This is the answer you are looking for. Maison Ikkoku has one of the most satisfying and emotional endings in anime.
MahleriteAug 30, 2009 11:57 PM
Aug 30, 2009 10:51 PM

Jul 2006
Eureka Seven

Aug 30, 2009 11:45 PM

Jun 2009
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. Not the happiest of endings, but excluding two manga series probably the most realistic out there. REC is very down to earth too.

JusticeGundam said:
Eureka Seven

lolwut?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Aug 30, 2009 11:49 PM

Jul 2006
mightykid218 said:

JusticeGundam said:
Eureka Seven

lolwut?

Mecha series can have romance too... Hell most of the series focuses on Renton's crush on Eureka
. And of course

Aug 31, 2009 12:07 AM

Jun 2009
JusticeGundam said:
mightykid218 said:

JusticeGundam said:
Eureka Seven

lolwut?

Mecha series can have romance too... Hell most of the series focuses on Renton's crush on Eureka
. And of course

eh. 52 episodes of predominantly mecha wouldn't be my first choice to recommend to someone looking for a predominantly romance focused series, is all. And I've seen it, watched it on AS.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Aug 31, 2009 12:16 AM

Jul 2006
The anime does have mecha elements, but that is not the main focus of the series. Far from it. It's a story about a young boy who falls in love with a girl at first sight and how he grows up throughout the course of the series. He just so happens to join a crew of fugitives that have lil mecha things.
And just because there are mechs, and fighting, doesn't diminish the fact that it's a romance story. There are around four fricken important romance stories the series focuses on,(and a few other ones that are not so important).
Eureka and Renton
Talho and Holland
Dominique and Anemone
Charles and Ray
Just because it has mecha, doesn't mean the series is predominately mecha. Tho, I'm guessing you didn't understand the series enough to get this.

Eureka seven IS a romance series. And a good one.

Aug 31, 2009 12:17 AM

Aug 2009
Thanks for the help. What about Ef?? I have heard that is supposedly good. Is it what I am looking for though?
Aug 31, 2009 12:19 AM

Oct 2008
I recently read Absolute Boyfriend in Borders the other day since they had the whole series right there and I've got to say it has one of the most commonly proper endings you could expect in a romance/shojo manga. It's entertaining too, quite.
Aug 31, 2009 12:20 AM

Jul 2007
JusticeGundam said:
Eureka Seven

Seconded.

Also Clannad
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Aug 31, 2009 12:31 AM

Aug 2009
Artixte said:
I recently read Absolute Boyfriend in Borders the other day since they had the whole series right there and I've got to say it has one of the most commonly proper endings you could expect in a romance/shojo manga. It's entertaining too, quite.

Is there an anime adaption or planned adaption? Sounds good (read synopsis) but unfortunately I don't read manga. Maybe I should start though.
Aug 31, 2009 2:41 AM

May 2009
Seconding Lovely Complex and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.

Also, for me, although Eureka Seven was pretty good, and though there is a reasonable amount of romance, it's still predominantly a mecha or shounen, i think. Oh, and i hated the ending for some reason.
Aug 31, 2009 2:58 AM

Sep 2008
I would say to absolutely start with Itazura na Kiss. It had a very beautiful conclusion.

I'd say ef - a tale of memories, but it'd look like I'm really biased. It's definitely a lot more drama based, but has great artwork, so you should check it out.

Others would include {Including in your Plan to Watch}
Honey and Clover
Toradora!
Nodame Cantabile
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2009 3:03 AM
Mar 2009
Thirding Lovely Complex.

Aug 31, 2009 4:04 AM

Mar 2009
Kare Kano(the end of the show isn't 'proper,' but the relationship goes leaps and bounds beyond the progress of most shows)
ef(only one implied couple, the rest go all the way. Half of them go ALL the way)
Toradora(lolmelodrama towards the end, but it fits your criteria)
Kemonozume(fits your criteria VERY well, but liable to be too weird)

Adding to support for Clannad, Nodame and Lovely Complex. The sequel to Clannad has the main couple get married and yet never kiss onscreen, though. At least Nodame's sequel lets them kiss.
E7 and Planetes for great relationships in shows that have a different focus.
Aug 31, 2009 4:19 AM
Oct 2007
Seconding Clannad.

Its the only anime that has made me feel angry, sad, and tearfully happy at the same time.

I also recommend Eureka Seven, and while we could debate what genre it falls under, I prefer to think of the Mecha elements as the stage upon which the romance is played out on, you cant have one without the other.
Aug 31, 2009 4:41 AM

Nov 2008
Seconding for REC.
And also try out Koi Kaze, the ending is proper but this series is about incest.
Aug 31, 2009 4:42 AM
Mar 2009
HooHiraiBunny said:
Seconding for REC.
And also try out Koi Kaze, the ending is proper but this series is about incest.

I'll third REC.

Damn, why am I not looking at my favourites for this topic?

Aug 31, 2009 5:18 AM

Apr 2009
Also going with REC, Eureka Seven (it's a romance story with humongous mecha shoved into the plot, not the other way around), and Please Teacher!

Will also suggest Hatsukoi Limited and Karin.

And RahXephon. Because you really can't recommend RahXephon enough.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Aug 31, 2009 5:51 PM

Aug 2009
Thanks everyone you were really helpful. Looks like I will be busy for the next few months.
Aug 31, 2009 6:17 PM

Sep 2008
No one mentioned Beck yet? Geez
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Aug 31, 2009 10:45 PM

Jun 2009
JusticeGundam said:
The anime does have mecha elements, but that is not the main focus of the series. Far from it. It's a story about a young boy who falls in love with a girl at first sight and how he grows up throughout the course of the series. He just so happens to join a crew of fugitives that have lil mecha things.
And just because there are mechs, and fighting, doesn't diminish the fact that it's a romance story. There are around four fricken important romance stories the series focuses on,(and a few other ones that are not so important).
Eureka and Renton
Talho and Holland
Dominique and Anemone
Charles and Ray
Just because it has mecha, doesn't mean the series is predominately mecha. Tho, I'm guessing you didn't understand the series enough to get this.

Yeah, being as deep as it was (not), it just must have blown over my head somehow. My point is that, regardless of any list of character romances you formulate, the dominant genres in this MECHA show was just that, not the romance. The existence of character romances is a given for almost any anime series, generally quite a few. And many of these series are not what one would consider "romance heavy" because the development of a romantic relationship is not center stage.

senerikfred said:
Kare Kano(the end of the show isn't 'proper,' but the relationship goes leaps and bounds beyond the progress of most shows)
ef(only one implied couple, the rest go all the way. Half of them go ALL the way)
Toradora(lolmelodrama towards the end, but it fits your criteria)
Kemonozume(fits your criteria VERY well, but liable to be too weird)

Adding to support for Clannad, Nodame and Lovely Complex. The sequel to Clannad has the main couple get married and yet never kiss onscreen, though. At least Nodame's sequel lets them kiss.
E7 and Planetes for great relationships in shows that have a different focus.

Clannad was great; didn't they kiss at the end of season 1 though?
Aug 31, 2009 11:44 PM

Jul 2007
mightykid218 said:
JusticeGundam said:

Yeah, being as deep as it was (not), it just must have blown over my head somehow. My point is that, regardless of any list of character romances you formulate, the dominant genres in this MECHA show was just that, not the romance. The existence of character romances is a given for almost any anime series, generally quite a few. And many of these series are not what one would consider "romance heavy" because the development of a romantic relationship is not center stage.

Wow... have you even seen Eureka Seven? The entire series is about the evolution of Renton and Eureka's relationship, and the effect their love will have on the entire world. I don't know how much more "romance heavy" you can get. Hell, the large majority of complaints when Eureka Seven started were about how the show was too focused on romantic relationships!

*checks your MAL*

What a surprise. You haven't seen Eureka Seven yet. Your opinions on the show are thus null and void in this thread.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Sep 1, 2009 12:41 AM

Jul 2008
Splitter said:
mightykid218 said:
JusticeGundam said:
Wow... have you even seen Eureka Seven? The entire series is about the evolution of Renton and Eureka's relationship, and the effect their love will have on the entire world. I don't know how much more "romance heavy" you can get. Hell, the large majority of complaints when Eureka Seven started were about how the show was too focused on romantic relationships!
Yeah, dude Eureka Seven is a romance series. Renton/Eureka is the driving force of the series and Dominic/Anemone is their mirror image couple. Holland/Talho is the main adult relationship and Charles/Ray is their mirror image couple. There's even the side couples like Moondoggie/Gidget and Matthieu/Hilda. Romance is pretty much the biggest theme of the series, and the ending makes this pretty obvious.

skys0ng said:
Artixte said:
Is there an anime adaption or planned adaption? Sounds good (read synopsis) but unfortunately I don't read manga. Maybe I should start though.
If you want romance stories with proper endings you're going to have to the manga route eventually. Fruits Basket has a very, very, very, very, very proper ending that ties up pretty much EVERYTHING. Fruits Basket is not open-ended at all. And Ouran has already progressed much more than the anime did. So yeah. :/

BEGINNER
Sep 1, 2009 1:23 AM

Aug 2009
skys0ng said:
Artixte said:
If you want romance stories with proper endings you're going to have to the manga route eventually. Fruits Basket has a very, very, very, very, very proper ending that ties up pretty much EVERYTHING. Fruits Basket is not open-ended at all. And Ouran has already progressed much more than the anime did. So yeah. :/

Umm... Sounds stupid but I don't know how to read them. They don't make sense. Don't you have to read the back to front or right to left or something different like that?
Sep 1, 2009 6:59 AM

Jul 2008
skys0ng said:
skys0ng said:
Artixte said:
Umm... Sounds stupid but I don't know how to read them. They don't make sense. Don't you have to read the back to front or right to left or something different like that?There's a good article on it here. And if you're more visual:

BEGINNER
Sep 1, 2009 7:08 AM

May 2008
Lovely Complex
Sep 1, 2009 7:21 AM

Jul 2009
Itazura na Kiss..ended nicely, Suzuka ended nice too, but not really a comedy.
Sep 1, 2009 7:29 AM

Oct 2007
Hana Yori Dango is a romance with an incredibly satisfying ending, but the animation style is very... unique. O_o
Sep 1, 2009 9:06 AM

Mar 2009
PolleyPower said:
burntlettuce said:

This is the answer you are looking for. Maison Ikkoku has one of the most satisfying and emotional endings in anime.

I third this a thousand times over, you need to watch it (and if you're concerned about how other Rumiko Takahashi series lack a definitive ending, this one strays from that pattern and actually has one).
Sep 1, 2009 9:21 PM

Jun 2009
Splitter said:
mightykid218 said:
JusticeGundam said:

*checks your MAL*

What a surprise. You haven't seen Eureka Seven yet. Your opinions on the show are thus null and void in this thread.

Actually, your just an idiot. Failing to update my list is something I do regularly, and if you read the rest of the thread, I even said I've just watched it on it's AS run. Just because it isn't in my list doesn't mean I've never seen it.
But this thread isn't for us to argue.

Laevantein said:
Itazura na Kiss..ended nicely, Suzuka ended nice too, but not really a comedy.

Suzaka, if you mean the track and field one I am thinking of, was actually very awesome. My buddy lent it to me, and although skeptical at first, I really enjoyed it. Cool choice.
Sep 5, 2009 3:01 PM

Mar 2009
I highly HIGHLY recommend Nodame Cantabile

also, Itazura na Kiss is such a great, sweet, heartwarming, make-you-smile type anime.
"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." - Meg Cabot
Sep 5, 2009 5:41 PM

Apr 2008
secounding Eureka Seven and REC
Sep 6, 2009 7:22 AM

Apr 2009
Suzuka.
Onegai teacher.

mightykid218 said:
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. Not the happiest of endings, but excluding two manga series probably the most realistic out there.

lolwut to you
Sep 6, 2009 7:30 AM

Jul 2009
mightykid218 said:

Suzaka, if you mean the track and field one I am thinking of, was actually very awesome. My buddy lent it to me, and although skeptical at first, I really enjoyed it. Cool choice.

Yeah that one, Suzuka..

If you are still not yet satisfied with anime's ending, read the manga, it's picked up the rest of the story, after the ending,,
Sep 6, 2009 2:06 PM

Aug 2009
Jigero said:
No one mentioned Beck yet? Geez

Actually Beck would be a perfect example of what the OP doesn't want.
-Fixing-
Sep 6, 2009 2:14 PM

Aug 2009
DaCapo i think. Me liked it ^^
Sep 6, 2009 6:46 PM

Aug 2009
Thanks =)

I read the synopsis for them all and most of them looked like winners :)

Especially Itazura na Kiss, Suzuka & Eureka.
Sep 6, 2009 6:56 PM

Sep 2009
School Days >.> NAAAH, I kid xD

Mawootad said:
And RahXephon. Because you really can't recommend RahXephon enough.

that
"I don't have time for miracles, they make me puke."
~Gatts
<-clickable
Sep 7, 2009 3:28 AM
Sep 2009
TORADORA!

it's a MUST....

the ending is PERFECT!!!
the romance is vry cute.... it's not too heavy but there are serious moments that brings tears.....
every episode brings something new, unexpected, cute, and funny.....
Sep 7, 2009 5:45 AM

May 2008
rosypanda said:
I highly HIGHLY recommend Nodame Cantabile

also, Itazura na Kiss is such a great, sweet, heartwarming, make-you-smile type anime.
+ also recommending Lovely Complex

Sep 8, 2009 12:06 PM

Aug 2008
zephyr86 said:
Seconding Clannad.

Its the only anime that has made me feel angry, sad, and tearfully happy at the same time.

I also recommend Eureka Seven, and while we could debate what genre it falls under, I prefer to think of the Mecha elements as the stage upon which the romance is played out on, you cant have one without the other.

^, Clannad is more than epic.

Sep 8, 2009 5:44 PM

Aug 2009
Special A , the ending is really romantic. It has some silly comedy parts like Ouran but it isn't ALL silly, sometimes it has a more Fruits-Basket-type feel to it with storylines that don't revolve purely around comedy.

More topics from this board

» Movies

BitChilly - 11 hours ago

9 by JoeChip »»
6 minutes ago

» Looking for anime like Aria the Animation and Shiroi Suna no Aquatope

AdityaRizkiS - 1 hour ago

2 by JoeChip »»
11 minutes ago

» I find it absolutely absurd I can’t find a manga with gay marriage legalized

isseixkoneko - Apr 25

1 by Ten »»
2 hours ago

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - Apr 16

10 by ST63LTH »»
6 hours ago

» Battle romance manhwa/manga/manhua

NaTsu879 - 11 hours ago

1 by dowzer »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.