Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 7, 2019 4:16 PM

Feb 2018
Probably the best episode so far. I feel like an idiot for not guessing Juri was in love with her friend (not the boy) until the very end of the episode with the locket
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
May 8, 2019 2:11 AM

Aug 2017
Great episode. The dive into Juri's feelings was a very enjoyable one, and the shadow princesses were used perfectly for that purpose, revealing that somewhere inside, Juri truly wishes for miracles to exist, and if they do, she wants to use them to reveal her feelings. I believe that her character was brilliantly conveyed with her clothes, too - she doesn't show her feelings to anyone while in her school uniform, being a very composed person. However, when she changes into a dress (i.e. more feminine clothes), she reveals her weaknesses and shows rapid changes in behavior, I loved those moments.
By the way, I would like to point out that so far each character is shown to wield his own unique weapon. I do not yet know if it has any significant meaning, but I believe that people who are not into swords and stuff could easily overlook the details. So, Saionji fights with a katana, Mikki fights with a Spanish rapier with a cup hilt, and Juri uses a bolognese sidesword. "The sword of Dios" looks like a military saber.
Also, I tried to translate the kanji on the desk behind Mikki (by literally rewriting them in google translate, lol), and, as expected, it seems like a tournament chart with our heroes' names. The one at the very top with a crown is Utena, who reaches this position after a win in a fight against Mikki. I guess it's foreshadowing future events, because "the letters from the end of the world" are prophetic or something?

However, there's one part of the episode that confuses me - I really didn't get the 'usagi' metaphor while Anthy was playing with her fingers alone in the classroom. Well, I hope I'll get it in the future.
Feb 10, 2020 2:22 PM
Sep 2015
So Chu-Chu is a monkey.
I knew he wasn't just an ugly mouse lol

Those lyrics about Michael, Lucifer being the son of dawn, two sexes, two poles, two sides of me etc. all speak about duality.
Androgynous is maybe referring to Baphomet?

And why is Apocalypse the absolute destiny? Idk if this series is mocking the Christian religion or not, but you can't tell me it doesn't have any occult meaning(s).

Oh so next episode they switch bodies? I can't wait to see Anthy be a badass for once.
Mar 12, 2020 2:11 PM

Jul 2009
Great episode!!

At first Juri wasn't interested in Utena, but once she starts mentioning about miracles, she went bat shit insane!

Still, I understand why. She basically felt betrayed by that girl. Though it's kinda confusing. Does Juri like the guy or the girl? It seems she likes the girl, but the girl confused her into thinking she likes the guy.

At least the match lasted a bit longer than Kaoru. Not gonna lie, I thought the sword would beheaded her :O

Time to constantly watch this!
Apr 7, 2020 1:43 PM

Sep 2014
there is the slap again! missed it last ep.

"I can never be with you! Not because you are a rabbit, but because you are black!" Is all I had in mind.

Do you think Anthy gets teleported there whenever someone enters the arena? Like a pokemon?

F in chat for Jury. They played her dirty. Rigged game!

The OST quickly became the most catchy thing ever for me.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 13, 2021 10:45 PM

Jul 2016
In the end, that nameless girl was right. Juri was indeed in love but with another person.

Also, what better way to test Juri's supposed disbelief in miracles than having Utena winning the duel in the most contrived way possible? Guess this explains why she managed to humiliate Saionji twice and win against national fencing champion Miki then.
Sep 10, 2021 8:25 PM
Jul 2018
Really loved this ep... Pretty intense.
And, man, how many times Himemiya is going to be slapped on face in this series? I can't stand to see her be humiliated so many times... Girl, you got be willing to respond for yourself against it.
Sep 12, 2021 7:43 PM
Nov 2010
SouthRzVa said:
Also, what better way to test Juri's supposed disbelief in miracles than having Utena winning the duel in the most contrived way possible?

That's absolutely the key point here.
Mar 7, 2022 6:17 AM

Jan 2022
I knew from the start Juri loved the girl instead of the guy, though it did have me thinking for a moment that she actually liked the guy instead until that last scene.

I feel bad for Juri, but also I hate how quickly she went from talking nicely to Utena to slapping Anthy to the floor. But also I feel there's an actual reason for it unlike the other slaps. She might be my favourite out of the student council, she's definitely the most interesting imo
Mar 7, 2022 8:44 AM

Oct 2016
I feel like there were many moments during the fight where Jury could have have won by grabbing/piercing through Utena's rose. But she didn't do it. I wonder why, is it because she is used to different sword fighting rules? And Utena won with a miracle haha, an interesting way to win this match.
Mar 31, 2022 8:51 PM

Feb 2021
This episode was Ok. I don't think Juri's backstory as a yuri has anything to do with the plot.
May 17, 2022 7:08 AM

Feb 2014
Really enjoyed this. This episode made me realize that perhaps utena's power is only a miracle that was given to her. If that were to be taken away?
Sep 2, 2022 9:33 PM

May 2022
Juri needs to start believing in miracles lol, great episode and fight. Himemiya is going to need Utena by her side so people will stop slapping her, this is getting out of hand.
May 2, 2023 2:10 AM

Jul 2017
This was the frist episode I really liked a lot, loved it
''Touch the darkness inside me''
Jul 2, 2023 5:51 PM
Feb 2021
Man, that's a rough one. Doesn't help that Himemiya looks like her girl either. But really, it says a lot about Juli that she still keeps the locket even though the girl she liked took the guy to make her feel bad.

It's also really great that she was pissed at Utena for keeping the ring even though she's the exact same. Fucken great episode really.
Sep 17, 2023 11:57 AM
Feb 2020
I laughed so much when the sword cut the rose by accident. That's the kind of defeat that will stay with you forever
Feb 18, 2:43 PM

Aug 2021
Juri's actually in love with that girl!!!! and the girl thought shes competing with Juri for the man...
and it was actually her that Juri was in love with... it hit me bad its so sad i wanna cry
for a second the show had me convinced there that its about the man only to hit like this, just like Juri hit Anthy (is hitting Anthy the main theme of the show?)

btw thats my second attempt at watching the show, i watched it blindly at first, and i didnt get it... but i think i needed to mature a bit to fully realize what this show it about, and rewatching it from the start after i dropped it after just a couple of episodes, now knowing that im watching something gravely important, makes me actually pay attention to whats really happening, and im just so invested, and im moved like all the time, the politics of the show are such a hard hitting affect
Mar 19, 3:58 PM
Aug 2017
Shout out to Juri. I'll always respect a girl who is mad as hell because of her painful crush on her ex best friend.

What I do need from this show however is for Utena to be a little bit more curious about the magical shenanigans she's caught up in. in. Every week she's just magically winning duels by the skin of her teeth and has no drive to try and figure out what the hell is going on.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

53 by LLG »»
Apr 17, 1:18 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

59 by Barrou2a »»
Mar 30, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - May 2, 2009

63 by zaverix »»
Mar 21, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 8, 2009

77 by Superkitty21 »»
Mar 19, 9:15 PM

» Looking for a good explanation video

LoveYourEyes - Mar 19

3 by 1coolgirl2b »»
Mar 19, 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.