New
Pages (16) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 »
Jan 2, 2013 10:57 PM
May 2012
Z-flame said:
-Miyu- said:
Z-flame said:
-Miyu- said:
I have a problem with the protagonist being a pig.
then you have a problem with Naruto, One Piece, Dragon Ball Z, Gintama and all other shows with a protagonist that eats a lot.
Meant literally a pig
How many scenes or episodes does he appear like that?
Just a few scenes, if I'm not mistaken, but still QQ
Jan 4, 2013 2:42 PM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
The fact the main male character is this fat disgusting silly slob and the girls he is around are cute really pisses me off to the point where I refuse to watch the anime. It makes me sicks. SICK I SAID!
Jan 4, 2013 2:45 PM
May 2012
Lolicon said:
The fact the main male character is this fat disgusting silly slob and the girls he is around are cute really pisses me off to the point where I refuse to watch the anime. It makes me sicks. SICK I SAID!
But you're a lolicon.
Jan 4, 2013 2:48 PM

Oct 2010
-Miyu- said:
Z-flame said:
-Miyu- said:
Z-flame said:
-Miyu- said:
I have a problem with the protagonist being a pig.
then you have a problem with Naruto, One Piece, Dragon Ball Z, Gintama and all other shows with a protagonist that eats a lot.
Meant literally a pig
How many scenes or episodes does he appear like that?
Just a few scenes, if I'm not mistaken, but still QQ

It was kinda annoying to watch the specials and the ova.. where he was the pig and everyone else just a bit more normal looking.
Jan 4, 2013 2:51 PM
Nov 2010
Considering how many people disliked him in his normal form, I might think people would prefer him in his pig form (since it's "natural"). But I guess that wasn't the case...
Jan 6, 2013 3:41 AM

Dec 2012
I dont find anything wrong with the MC. Or more that he is more interesting that those boring cliche MCs. Seriously go back to SAO and fap to Kirito then.
Jan 6, 2013 7:16 AM

Sep 2008
kaimax said:
So, what's the problem?
There's been some post discriminating about his size, like :
MC is kinda short and fat

wtf i understand the main character having to be weak and stuff but why does he have to be a pig and look like a retarded muffin in real life

The real question is WHY NOT?
And it's not like his real appearance "affects" his performance in the Virtual World.
At least he's not the perverted type.

I disagree with this. The whole issue is the reasoning behind choosing such an MC knowing full well the negative social stigma attached to being physically unattractive.

After watching the entire anime, I still don't feel that this is in any way justified. On top of driving away many potential viewers with the choice of such an un-attractive MC, his personality works out to suffer from severe inferiority complex and sheer wussiness. The moment in the first episode that he knocked the girl's basket of sandwiches onto the floor and just ran off like a fat f*cker, I really felt like stopping right away.

It is clear that the guy has issues. So did the writer intend for the audience to sympathize with him? Well sorry, I'm sure the audience has plenty of their own problems, so that's not going to work. Well then, is it for similar people irl to be able to relate to the MC? Maybe, but my faith in humanity asserts that there's going to be many more people who gets a feeling of repulsion rather than relation.

TL;DR: Choice of MC's appearance and personality drives away viewers, no good reason for such a choice surfaces even at the conclusion of the entire anime.
There's two kinds of people you can't win an argument against:
One - Too dumb to tell right from wrong.
Two - Too stubborn to admit they are wrong.
Jan 6, 2013 7:14 PM
Dec 2012
Have to agree with kuity above me.

I originally had no problem with a fat MC or even a short MC. Even though a fat & short MC bothered me, it wasn't enough to turn me off the series.

However, Haru is just a plain wuss. And the worst part is, even though he's a complete wuss who's fat and stumpy, often needs help and cries in front of every single girl he meets, he's still exhibiting the male protagonist cliche of "NEVER GIVING UP" and has his own harem.

I just don't think it's well-deserved, nor well-liked for a character like him. It pushes the line of believable logic to the max. Meanwhile, Taku, who can actually fight, is more knowledgable, looks good and has the same morals that Haru has, can't even keep a single girl.

It turns you off a bit. Though, the reappearance of Ash Roller glued me back to it.
Jan 6, 2013 7:16 PM

Sep 2012
His character design is what has kept me from watching this show.

I like to look at good looking characters. I won't pretend to blame it on something else. I'm shallow.

Jan 2013
kaimax said:
So, what's the problem?

wtf i understand the main character having to be weak and stuff but why does he have to be a pig and look like a retarded muffin in real life

And it's not like his real appearance "affects" his performance in the Virtual World.
People tend to want put themselves in the position of the MC, most people do not want to be a fat and short person.
Try to defeat me but try in vain.
When I win I end your pain.

Jan 2013
Red_Keys said:

I like to look at good looking characters. I won't pretend to blame it on something else. I'm shallow.
Same here.
Try to defeat me but try in vain.
When I win I end your pain.
Jan 7, 2013 12:02 PM

Jun 2010
kuity said:
kaimax said:
So, what's the problem?

I disagree with this. The whole issue is the reasoning behind choosing such an MC knowing full well the negative social stigma attached to being physically unattractive.

After watching the entire anime, I still don't feel that this is in any way justified. On top of driving away many potential viewers with the choice of such an un-attractive MC, his personality works out to suffer from severe inferiority complex and sheer wussiness. The moment in the first episode that he knocked the girl's basket of sandwiches onto the floor and just ran off like a fat f*cker, I really felt like stopping right away.

It is clear that the guy has issues. So did the writer intend for the audience to sympathize with him? Well sorry, I'm sure the audience has plenty of their own problems, so that's not going to work. Well then, is it for similar people irl to be able to relate to the MC? Maybe, but my faith in humanity asserts that there's going to be many more people who gets a feeling of repulsion rather than relation.

TL;DR: Choice of MC's appearance and personality drives away viewers, no good reason for such a choice surfaces even at the conclusion of the entire anime.

Other than to show how the game itself turns emotional scars into strengths. Haru's unique emotional scars make him the first ever Duel Avatar to gain true flight. Sky Raker can also fly, but only through her Enhanced Armament, and is thus not true flight.

So does anyone here really expect Haru to become super-confident badass in only 3 seconds after suffering long years of being bullied? You know what sucks about being bullied? YOU CAN'T TRUST YOUR FRIENDS (He probably thought Chiyu would HURT him when he threw that basket of food! That's how badly hurt he is.), YOU CAN'T EVEN TRUST YOURSELF!

No one who has endured bullying since six years old can ever become super-confident badasses in a single second even with the best support system possible. Recovery from bullying takes a lot of time, it could even take YEARS before a bullied person fully recovers from it.

If we have an MC like Taku, he would have a boring but overpowered Duel Avatar, he would receive little to no character development (other than perhaps being able to keep Chiyu), the plot goes too fast, and the Six Kings are killed too quickly. AND the fans would keep asking for more MC action. Vicious cycle.

So Haru haters out there, if you're that shallow, please go back to SAO and fap to your ultimate badass god of MC's Kirito then.
Jan 7, 2013 5:56 PM
Jan 2008
ninjaluc79 said:

So Haru haters out there, if you're that shallow, please go back to SAO and fap to your ultimate badass god of MC's Kirito then.

IMO, both are terrible main characters.

Although at least Haru has development and strays away from his whiny self. I think the main problem with Haru being "short and fat" is rather than actually looking short and fat, he looks like a genetic mutation. Fat people, despite anime representation, aren't ugly in real life. I'd have no qualms if he looked like a normal short and fat person, but he looks like someone taken from Azumanga Daioh and placed into Chuunibyou. Development, better than Kirito, but his appearance for me, is a turn-off. Also Kirito's design is a turn off too, he looks EXTREMELY generic and bland. Also I have the same problem with him as I do to any other character that dresses himself according to hair colour completely.

Edit: BTW, I am only half way through. So Haruyuki still has time to improve and really, probably will. I thought at episode 1 he was irredeemable, but I don't think such any more. He's definitely improving which is more to say than Kirito.
Jan 7, 2013 6:30 PM

Jun 2010

Well, if Haru was supposed to be taller than the girls and only a bit shorter than Taku like his original LN design, he could have been more tolerable, huh?

But then, since Japan is known for obsession with cuteness...

TPAM said Kirito is generic and yet people preach like he's the Jesus of 2010's anime and that all future MC's should be patterned after him.
ninjaluc79Jan 7, 2013 6:34 PM
Jan 7, 2013 7:18 PM
Jan 2008
ninjaluc79 said:

Well, if Haru was supposed to be taller than the girls and only a bit shorter than Taku like his original LN design, he could have been more tolerable, huh?

But then, since Japan is known for obsession with cuteness...

TPAM said Kirito is generic and yet people preach like he's the Jesus of 2010's anime and that all future MC's should be patterned after him.

At first I was put off, but honestly, with 12 episodes in, I've become used to his appearance. I think it's slightly ridiculous that they actually made him look like a chibi in a normal series, but as you said, I guess it's cute, but it's definitely not what people should not watch the show from. He's definitely a better character than Kirito, nor not nearly as annoying as Taku from Chaos;Head.

I think they should've made Haru look more normal, kept him as short and fat, but gave him a normal appearance. I don't want to say I tolerate his looks, because really, it was his personality that was originally bugging me - the appearance of a cutesy pig just

And yeah, Kirito is extremely generic - his personality is bland, his appearance is tedious in both games and I don't see any appeal in him. Nothing from Kirito gives a special outlook, IMO. People seem to like characters being extremely over-powered, I guess? I honestly don't see why and found his attitude continually annoying. I feel as if the author actually cared for the characters in Accel World, kind of thing. Haru is indeed underrated, but given his bad start, I can understand why people dislike him cooped with the directors/designers stylistic choices, on the other hand, he actually grows steadily and not so suddenly like Takumi (C;H) and Shuu (GC).

I hope my post didn't seem rude, off-putting or semi-aggressive since I get the feeling it was from the meme. If so, I apologize, since a lot of people get that feeling from me. I wasn't trying to be rude.
Jan 8, 2013 6:53 AM

Apr 2012
If you guys agree that you are shallow, then it's okay... I don't mind that you can't self-insert yourself.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jan 8, 2013 6:45 PM
Jan 2008
Immahnoob said:
If you guys agree that you are shallow, then it's okay... I don't mind that you can't self-insert yourself.

Any self-insert character is one of the scummiest forms of main characters there can ever be.
Jan 10, 2013 7:17 PM

Jul 2009
Honestly his height proportions aren't even all that silly like most people say, while i wasn't as fat as him while i was his age(i always have and always will be a featherweight) i was just as short with every one else in the school towering over me, so i felt an extra connection to his character because of this.
Jan 11, 2013 2:57 AM

Jun 2010
WarpedPerception said:
Honestly his height proportions aren't even all that silly like most people say, while i wasn't as fat as him while i was his age(i always have and always will be a featherweight) i was just as short with every one else in the school towering over me, so i felt an extra connection to his character because of this.

I actually thought you looked exactly like Haru, but I think you should be close enough proof that his weird figure actually exists IRL.

I had a schoolmate from 10 years ago who looks just like Haru, but he's in a gang unlike Haru. I don't know how he looks today so...
Jan 11, 2013 6:05 AM

Sep 2009
Red_Keys said:

Well, at least you can admit it, unlike some other people. I respect that. Personally, I don't care about character designs or even looks to an extent. I watched Accel World b/c someone recommended it to me. I thought Haru was fine, no problems with his weight, but after reading the LN I do think he is a bit too short. I couldn't care less though. It is what it is, no use complaining about it. I do admit that it was Kuroyukihime that caught my attention and drew me in -_^

Jan 11, 2013 6:33 AM

Nov 2010
It's not because the MC is fat it's because how fucking ridiculous he looks like compared to his friends
Jan 11, 2013 9:57 AM

Jan 2013
I don't hawe problem with him being fat, i was fat when i was younger but i don't like his avatar being pig and i don't get it why would somevone want his avatar to be pig?Still Accel world is one of my three favorite animes.
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Jan 11, 2013 10:11 AM

Dec 2012
wukp said:
I don't hawe problem with him being fat, i was fat when i was younger but i don't like his avatar being pig and i don't get it why would somevone want his avatar to be pig?Still Accel world is one of my three favorite animes.

He was bullied by the guy with the red hair on Ep 1 into using that avatar. This is in the LN only, but that's the reason why his avatar is a pig
Jan 12, 2013 6:14 AM

Jul 2009
KaitoDash said:
I have no problem with his looks, I actually think that this kind of character design is unique in a good way.
But damn he really is pathetic. Characteristics, I mean.

second this
srsly, his inferior complex habit was too much annoying
Jan 12, 2013 7:07 PM

Jun 2010
setsuna91 said:
KaitoDash said:
I have no problem with his looks, I actually think that this kind of character design is unique in a good way.

second this

And you guys don't get it because you haven't been bullied all your life.

Being bullied sucks. Once bullied, you find it hard to believe in yourself and others. And what sucks even more, it doesn't take THREE FREAKING SECONDS FLAT to recover from bullying and become super-confident all of a sudden. It takes a whole lot of time, and it varies from person to person. It takes months or even years.
Jan 12, 2013 7:17 PM

Nov 2009
ninjaluc79 said:
setsuna91 said:
KaitoDash said:

second this

Being bullied sucks. Once bullied, you find it hard to believe in yourself and others. And what sucks even more, it doesn't take THREE FREAKING SECONDS FLAT to recover from bullying and become super-confident all of a sudden. It takes a whole lot of time, and it varies from person to person. It takes months or even years.

I second ninjaluc79's comment
Jan 12, 2013 9:03 PM
Dec 2012
ninjaluc79 said:
setsuna91 said:
KaitoDash said:

second this

I disagree and I have been bullied for the majority of my life.

It's not that he's been bullied per say. It's more that his entire character is that way. For example, Taku was bullied at a young age and went on to become fairly skilled and well-respected while in the midst being bullied.

Depending on your character, you can change almost immediately after being bullied. I, for one, led a rather cocky high school life, even in my freshman year where I was heavily picked on. Once that stopped, I almost immediately became confident in everything I did.

Haru just gives off inferiority because he hates everything about himself. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being bullied, but at the same time, bullying has an impact on it. So does Chiyu and Taku, Princess Black Snow and everyone in his school. He just feels like they're better off than he is in all departments. However, when he's playing video games, he feels like he's better than everyone because he's confident in that department.

So, when he has a power that puts him ahead of everyone else in the school, you figure he would show the same confidence as he did in the games he played. NO. He's still acting so inferior to everyone else. Even after his bully is kicked out and even after being associated with the most popular girl in the school, he doesn't even gain a medium amount of confidence in himself. It's just so frustrating.

And yet, he still acts like the atypical shonen hero. He reunites people when he promises it. He never gives up, but always comes very close to doing it. He has a power that no one else has. He's slowly forming a harem. He powers through obstacles quicker than most and is always "something special." He has a harem. He's always a last hope. He's obtained a number of girls that like him simply for his personality in the real world (harem).

He exhibits all the cliches and barely any of the personality that would cause these cliches. His character just isn't all too inspiring, rather the situation his character has been put in is.
Jan 12, 2013 10:17 PM

May 2012
It's not that he's short or fat, it's just that he looks a bit out of place. Unless all of the other characters are giants, he doesn't even look 4'4 half the time. Unlike many, his appearance is actually what encouraged me to watch the show. I don't think I've ever seen another protagonist quite like him.

What I truly don't understand though is why people are raging over him having an inferiority complex.You guys talk about how the character should be realistic looking yet he shouldn't have a problem that plenty of people face irl? Shinji(Evangelion) and Simon(Guren Lagann) both had one as well. Now I'm only on the 4th episode so far so it could get worse but right now he doesn't seem that bad.
gettogaaraJan 12, 2013 11:14 PM
Jan 12, 2013 10:51 PM

Dec 2012
i agree 100% with AuronPond.
and i wouldn't compare him with simon , yes simon started with being a wimp and having a inferiority complex but he was a kid who lost his parents and in the end he became confident and overcame kamina death so i don't see why haru can't become at the very least normal ( not crying at everthing , etc..) i mean all good things are happening to him , i don't see why we have to suffer from his selfhate from the start to the end of the first season.
Jan 12, 2013 10:53 PM

Apr 2011
Because it's hard to empathize with the anime. My enjoyment in anime chiefly derives from the thoughts of "Wow, what if that happened to me; what would it be like living in this anime universe?". But then when the protagonist is short and fat like, I simply cannot visualize myself in his position. So I can't enjoy the anime. :|
Jan 12, 2013 10:58 PM
Nov 2010
There's a difference between someone that gets bullied a few times vs someone that gets constantly bullied all their life.

Also Accel World is an adaptation. If I recall TTGL wasn't one, or am I wrong?
Jan 12, 2013 11:11 PM

May 2012
tsudecimo said:
and i wouldn't compare him with simon , yes simon started with being a wimp and having a inferiority complex but he was a kid who lost his parents and in the end he became confident and overcame kamina death so i don't see why haru can't become at the very least normal ( not crying at everthing , etc..) i mean all good things are happening to him , i don't see why we have to suffer from his selfhate from the start to the end of the first season.

Well like I said, only on the 4th episode so I was sort of expecting him to change gradually and end up a more stable person. If he stays like this all the way through.....then I could see how that would get annoying.

Physiicx said:
Because it's hard to empathize with the anime. My enjoyment in anime chiefly derives from the thoughts of "Wow, what if that happened to me; what would it be like living in this anime universe?". But then when the protagonist is short and fat like, I simply cannot visualize myself in his position. So I can't enjoy the anime. :|

I also like to place myself in the world of the anime I'm watching from time to time. However, I don't really need the protagonist to look or act anything like me to do so. Looking at your favorite characters, they're all female. Can you visualize yourself in their positions? If the answer is yes then you shouldn't have a problem with a male character of any shape lol.

Z-flame said:
There's a difference between someone that gets bullied a few times vs someone that gets constantly bullied all their life.

Also Accel World is an adaptation. If I recall TTGL wasn't one, or am I wrong?

Nah you're right. Gurren Lagann's manga and LN's came later.
Jan 12, 2013 11:14 PM

Apr 2011
My favorite characters are girls; I empathize with the guys being with them. When I picture myself in an anime, I am in the guy's shoes and therefore my eyes are on the girl. That's why the girls are my favorite characters.
Jan 12, 2013 11:32 PM

May 2012
Physiicx said:
My favorite characters are girls; I empathize with the guys being with them. When I picture myself in an anime, I am in the guy's shoes and therefore my eyes are on the girl. That's why the girls are my favorite characters.

Ah, see I tend to do it differently. Instead of filling in a character's shoes, I imagine how things would be if I myself was added into that world and how my presence would affect it along with the characters in it. However in your case I could understand that not having any of these kind of problems might make the show more annoying than enjoyable.

But if you don't watch any show where you're unable to empathize with the protagonist, you'll end up limiting yourself quite a bit. I mean, I can't empathize with Luffy at all but I still have a ton of fun watching OP.
Jan 13, 2013 5:01 AM
Jan 2008
tsudecimo said:

For the love of god please don't mislead people. If Haru stayed the same he was in the first 4-5 episodes, I would've been very cross. That's NOT the case. Haru grows just like Simon does. At least Haru isn't trying to copy anyone, he's becoming his own character and he DOES change into a better person.
Jan 15, 2013 7:21 AM

Jun 2010
Z-flame said:

This one.

AuronPond said:
Depending on your character, you can change almost immediately after being bullied. I, for one, led a rather cocky high school life, even in my freshman year where I was heavily picked on. Once that stopped, I almost immediately became confident in everything I did.

Not everyone has the same character. Just because you immediately adjusted from like one year of bullying doesn't mean you should expect Haru to immediately become super-confident after being bullied from since the FREAKING FIRST GRADE because of his figure.
ninjaluc79Jan 15, 2013 7:25 AM
Jan 15, 2013 7:38 AM

Dec 2012
TheUnknownOne said:
tsudecimo said:

For the love of god please don't mislead people. If Haru stayed the same he was in the first 4-5 episodes, I would've been very cross. That's NOT the case. Haru grows just like Simon does. At least Haru isn't trying to copy anyone, he's becoming his own character and he DOES change into a better person.

im not misleading people haru didn't really develop or change that much other than the final ep he is still the same ( i hate myself and i don't deserve anything good to happen to me persona) and don't really compare him to simon , wherether he was copying or not he showed huge charcter development being the most confident person in the show the hero or w/e .
ninjaluc79 said:

Not everyone has the same character. Just because you immediately adjusted from like one year of bullying doesn't mean you should expect Haru to immediately become super-confident after being bullied from since the FREAKING FIRST GRADE because of his figure.

Stop repeating yourself we get it , but no one really want haru to become super-confident or super badass , just being normal with no self-loathing and no crying over trivial stuff is enough.
Jan 15, 2013 8:20 AM

Dec 2012
tsudecimo said:

im not misleading people haru didn't really develop or change that much other than the final ep he is still the same ( i hate myself and i don't deserve anything good to happen to me persona) and don't really compare him to simon , wherether he was copying or not he showed huge charcter development being the most confident person in the show the hero or w/e .

I understand your frustration but Accel World is a multiple seasons show. According to the LN materials released so far, Accel World may have up to three or four seasons altogether. Therefore, comparing Haru character development to Simon in Gurren Lagann, which has only one season is like comparing apples to oranges. Not only that, but the time it took for Simon to "grow up" is several years, whereas Haru only has a semester, top. The more appropriate comparison would be Haru vs. Yuuji Sakai from SnS. In that series, Yuuji did not become bad-ass until mid S2. So I would say Haru's development is a norm, not worse than Shiji, and a lot better than Shu (who never seems to grow up)
tsudecimo said:

self we get it , but no one really want haru to become super-confident or super badass , just being normal with no self-loathing and no crying over trivial stuff is enough.

If that is your wish, then you better wait for S2 then :)
Jan 17, 2013 10:57 PM
Jan 2008
tsudecimo said:

That is completely incorrect and you are misleading other people. Haru's growth is realistic, it's slow, but not lackluster. In fact, when Noumi first appears and threatens him and Chiyu, you can see a dramatic change. When he used to get bullied, he dived into self pity and yet when he gets beat up later, he takes it and stands strong, defending himself in the process.

And yes, Simon and Haru's development are comparable, all you're doing is sprouting bias in an attempt of hating on Haru. I don't even like Haru, but I recognize he grows a lot from his mentality of someone who is continually putting himself down to someone else taking action with their own hand, become independent and willing to fight for what he believes in.
Jan 20, 2013 5:40 PM

Jun 2010
He did return to his usual "bullied" self for a while, but with Taku's help and his determination to do things without relying on KYH he was able to pick himself up together and give Noumi a good fight.

Of course, KYH came to save the day with Chiyu's help, but you can't deny that at least he tried to dispatch Noumi without KYH.
Jan 21, 2013 7:22 AM
Jul 2018
But seriously it would be a lot cooler of the protagonist was more self-confident and could stand up for himself. think about it. the current protagonist is a wimp with pathetic characteristics. lacks ridiculous amounts of strength and depends on Kuroyukihime to survive. the anime is great i cant lie. but the only flaw was the protagonist.
Jan 21, 2013 7:38 AM

Jun 2010
Oh, shucks, I don't want to repeat myself again.

Do you guys seriously expect Haru to become self-confident right away after basically living a whole life made of suck and years of bullying?

True, people have recovered from bullying, but it's not right away, it's not like within a span of seconds, minutes, or hours. It took them weeks, months, and even years.
ninjaluc79Jan 21, 2013 7:45 AM
Jan 21, 2013 7:48 AM

Apr 2012
It also depends on each person. But it's mostly in a big spans of time. I think these people don't know too much about real life or psychology.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jan 21, 2013 9:59 AM
Oct 2012
the21122 said:
the anime is great i cant lie. but the only flaw was the protagonist.

LOL I'm so with you on this one. These are practically the same words out of my heart too.

IMO, there's nothing wrong in the bullied recovering from the trauma but, this is a matter of presentation of ideas.

You can have a righteous character like Naruto or Ichigo (Bleach) correcting the villain's perverted view on things, but you don't see them going on and on for a few episodes lecturing, that would be absurd. At most, it would be 1 episode of lecturing since you're getting the message across and this keeps viewers interested.

However, in AW's case, you get to see the protagonist indulge in self-pity for so many episodes. There is nothing wrong in seeing his vulnerable side, but does he have to show it so frequently and in so many episodes too? This is a matter of over-doing and dragging it, which not only annoys viewers, but bores them too. When this happen, anyone would have trouble feeling empathy for them.

I'm just going to exemplify the genres in which this anime is. 'Action, Romance, School, Sci-Fi, Shounen'. And someone new comes and watches this, finding the protagonist indulging in self-worthlessness and inferiority over the span of a few episodes. This isn't a drama series, and yet, this one guy is the centre of attention for all the wrong reasons. These elements can be added to provide more depth but they must be compact and meaningful, not long and dragged out. This will cause people to label the MC as being pathetic and also induce general dislike towards him.
zktaichouJan 21, 2013 10:08 AM
Apr 15, 2013 2:27 PM

Aug 2012
he's so chibi, love him
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Apr 16, 2013 9:51 PM
Dec 2012
I don't know if you guys know this, but in the second OVA, it is hinted that Haru's obesity and lack of self-confidence came more from his father's (?) parental abandonment than bullying, although I'm not saying bullying had nothing to do with it. I might be totally wrong with this, because I almost completely forgot what happened in that OVA besides Rin (<3) showing up. Ash Roller FTW.

As for his HUGE contrast with the character designs of others, I really have no idea what's up with that. The only things I can think of are to make him a character design foil with everyone else, trying to make it obvious just how different he is from everyone else or because Kawahara (am I supposed to put Reki or Kawahara? confusing cuz of the last name first name thing) wanted to make an exact opposite of Kirito, who Haru is way more interesting than. I'd rather not go into detail because of the risk of starting a flame war, but Kirito didn't even start to care about the consequences of his actions until GGO (i lub u ggo) whereas Haru cared from the start (although a bit too much). As well as, of course, the more obvious differences, such as tall and short, fat and skinny, and "badass" and "wimp" (arguable).
Apr 18, 2013 4:16 PM
Mar 2013
Anime is just another way to escape from reality and MC usually acts as a proxy, you sort of live in different world through him. That's a bit problematic, when MC is someone you deffinitely wouldn't want to be.
Also they wen't to far with it, his proportions are hardly believable, considering rest of the world, taht is fairly normal. Really, how many people in your high school were 1 meter tall and morbidly obese, with huge eyes and tiny pupils?
To top it of his romantic interest is hot as bonfire, and if you are not 12 you might have already noticed, that looks actually do matter.

They wanted to for once make MC that actually looks like a loser, good. But they pushed it too far.
"Well if you have criticisms as a consumer of retail item X, then why don't you step down from your role as consumer and critic and become a creator of the sort of item you were hoping to buy and had thought you had been promised, since everyone knows that the only logical, rational solution to displeasure with a product is to become a manufacturer."
Apr 18, 2013 4:23 PM

Aug 2012
Because something different/new is retarded.

It's an unspoken law in the animeverse that main protagonists are suppose to be slightly-above-average in good looks, while main antagonists are suppose to be sexy as fuck and/or ugly.
Support/minor/background characters is anything goes.
How else are non-spectacular people irl suppose to feel good about themselves?
People hating on Haruyuki are nothing but scum
GhostonyApr 18, 2013 4:26 PM
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
May 5, 2013 7:41 PM
May 2013
I just hate him because he's fat. I have a trauma with fat people.
May 8, 2013 8:02 PM

Jan 2013
If we were to see a real life equivalent to him, he would be unhealthy and obese.

It's one thing to encourage being happy with who you are, but it's another to encourage a clearly unhealthy lifestyle.

By having a main character that's obviously not healthy, it encourages the audience that that sort of lifestyle is acceptable, when it's not. Being at an unhealthy weight (over or under-weight) is bad.

I'm not saying every fucking character has to be the epitome of human beauty, but it wouldn't have killed the creators to make a character who's at least healthy looking.
Pages (16) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Accel World Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Aug 10, 2012

133 by uwuMocha »»
Aug 31, 2:25 PM

Poll: » Accel World Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 21, 2012

427 by Kazuto3692 »»
Aug 28, 4:45 AM

» The episodes 16 to half of 24, gave me an anguish & pissed off reaction

Kiryotsu - Feb 3

3 by Eckl3 »»
Feb 4, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Accel World Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 14, 2012

185 by JustMonaka »»
Jan 11, 10:53 AM

Poll: » Accel World Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2012

223 by JustMonaka »»
Jan 10, 5:05 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.