Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 29, 2019 11:17 AM

Apr 2014
This feels like the turning point of the show, intriguing.
May 13, 2019 2:19 AM

Aug 2017
The black I-am-not-a-girl dude looks suspiciously similar to Dios, and his name, Mamiya, almost resembles HiMEMIYA. I wonder if that means anything.
Anyways, an incredibly interesting episode, I am very intrugued to see what's next (and I still don't get Mikki's stopwatch)

The creepy scene with the dead boys suddenly looking into the camera gave me huge Evangelion vibes, btw. I love how the events of this episode were foreshadowed in ep. 13 with Utena's pink rose floating among black roses. I guess they represent jealousy and other dark sides of humanity. It's perfectly shown during Kanae's "interview", when she got "blackrosed" after exposing her darkest feelings about Anthy.
According to ep.13, Akio seems to be aware of the Black Rose, which raises the following question: is he just an observer or does he act on the side of Dios or the Black Rose? Maybe on both sides?
St0rmbladeMay 13, 2019 2:33 AM
May 14, 2019 9:40 PM
Jul 2018
I HAVE SEVERAL QUESTIONS.
May 17, 2019 5:08 PM

Oct 2018
i like better the older music for both the ascension to the duel arena and the sword of Dios, but oh well, other than that i like where the series is going, getting more psychological and psychedelic, starting to get why some people compare this to Evangelion
Jan 31, 2020 6:27 AM
Dec 2015
im so scared for anthy oh my god
Jun 17, 2020 9:44 PM

Jul 2009
I guess this is the start of the Black Rose Arc.

Anthy's Brother Akio kinda looks like the prince at first, but I guess it's just the artstyle?

Kanae girl seems to be fine, but she knows that Anthy may hate her for probably marrying into his brother.

Also, did Anthy implied that she and his brother is having a relationship :O

Wincest!

Sep 18, 2020 8:34 PM

Jan 2016
here are some Utena crackpot theories for this episode.

-the scene where Nanami has the fans and the electric fan symbolize how she plans on letting the council prosper even if the president is out. Japanese fans are symbols for prosperity similar to how a flower blooms.

-the second arc has battles with the many desks and the outlines of dead bodies.The repetition of desks and the symbolic object on each desk represent how each battle member has issues that conflict and are a part of their daily school life, but the frequency of seeing such things are too much to bear, and the outlines represent each person who has died and has the black ring.When the desks separate at the end of each battle, that symbolizes how their problem has now been put at the surface and now in the spotlight and in the moment the school life doesnt matter.

--the skit with the wisdom teeth represent how the anthy’s soon to be sister in law, Kanae, and her desire to not have her in the picture. despite having connection with her, her being in the picture is seen as an inconvenience that would get worse in the future ,and she should be removed, similar to wisdom teeth.

"Get your tentacles off me or ill make calamari out of your manhood" -Mirai Nikki Dub
Jan 21, 2021 12:15 AM

Nov 2018
Evangelion Feels once again.
Anthy is extremely fake and I don't trust any of these new people either.

Zero mentally healthy people , except for maybe Wakaba.That's one hell of a fairytale.
I hate everyone equally
Jan 21, 2021 12:19 AM

Nov 2018
VivavideoUser2x said:

-the scene where Nanami has the fans and the electric fan symbolize how she plans on letting the council prosper even if the president is out. Japanese fans are symbols for prosperity similar to how a flower blooms.

-the second arc has battles with the many desks and the outlines of dead bodies.The repetition of desks and the symbolic object on each desk represent how each battle member has issues that conflict and are a part of their daily school life, but the frequency of seeing such things are too much to bear, and the outlines represent each person who has died and has the black ring.When the desks separate at the end of each battle, that symbolizes how their problem has now been put at the surface and now in the spotlight and in the moment the school life doesnt matter.

--the skit with the wisdom teeth represent how the anthy’s soon to be sister in law, Kanae, and her desire to not have her in the picture. despite having connection with her, her being in the picture is seen as an inconvenience that would get worse in the future ,and she should be removed, similar to wisdom teeth.
VivavideoUser2x said:

Thanks a lot , I usually get most of symbolic references , but I really feel dumb so often here . Side effect of procrastinating and not reading enough ...
I hate everyone equally
Apr 17, 2021 4:19 PM

Jul 2016
Well... Kanae now has a solid reason to hate Anthy. Damn, incest and infidelity topics are way too strong in this series.

So in the end, it seems we currently have two factions pursuing the power of Dios: Akio with Anthy's assistance and Souji who wants to kill Anthy in order to make his partner the new Rose Bride so that they can achieve "eternity" together. Intriguing direction, the one this new arc is taking.
SouthRzVaApr 17, 2021 4:25 PM
Mar 12, 2022 1:00 PM

Oct 2016
Such a weird episode... I liked the imagery of the 100 dead duelists and all that, but I'm not sure what taste this episode left me. Also I'm kinda sad we moved on from the duels with the school council. I want to see more of Touga and his shattered sense of pride and self ;) Now I can't wait to see how this story will be resolved.
Mar 13, 2022 8:47 AM

Jan 2022
I'm definitely not smart enough to fully understand this or any of the symbolism, but still really enjoyed this episode.

I got kinda scared when I realised this is the black rose arc, I've only heard bad things about it so far so I was shocked to see the episode was good. Also is it just me, or has the song that plays when Utena walks up the stairs to the dueling arena has changed a little bit? It sounds like they've added something new but I can't remember what it's called.

And so many new characters, kinda hard to keep up. I didn't expect Kanae to hate Anthy, but I'm not shocked. I hope we get to see more of her though, she's kind of interesting. And the ending definitely gave Kanae a reason to hate her even more, honestly I've been defending Anthy this whole time but at this point I'm not even sure if we can trust her- something just seems off other than the incest thing

Also is the guy with Mikage supposed to be Utena's prince? He looks exactly like him- and definitely looks alot more like him than Touga did

Sep 9, 2022 11:05 AM

May 2022
alright we got some new characters and a black rose with a dark power, can't wait to see how things are going to turn out. Hopefully the revolution will turn Himemiya back to normal so Kanae doesn't have to be sad about Himemiya not liking her.
Feb 27, 2023 7:11 AM
Feb 2023
just when things were getting exciting........ of course anthy is sleeping with her brother </3
Jul 3, 2023 8:27 PM
Feb 2021
You got me fucked up with that ending.

There's a lot of new characters in this one, including that dude who looks like Himemiya.

This episode also really cemented how weird Himemiya is for me. I can't help but agree with the girl who fought Utena about how Himemiya seems kinda alien.

Like idk if she even has feelings, I've never seen any sort of reaction from her other than a creepy smile.
Dec 17, 2023 1:53 PM

Feb 2020
Wait wait wait, I already thought that Anthy looking like Utena's prince with the purple hair and dark skin couldn't be a coincidence, but now her brother, and above all this other guy who gave Kanae the Black Rose, look like him too ! I even thought that guy actually was the prince before realizing he's supposed to be much older than that. Which also has me wonder, was the guy the brother was talking to in the previous episode that same guy or the actual prince ? Anyway, it looks like there's really something going on with the Himemiya family, and all of this is clearly related to Utena's prince. I really don't know were this is going but this is definitely intriguing.

Anyway, that was a good episode to begin the next arc ! I like this idea of duels now involving people whose dark sides are revealed, just like I really like that there's now a real threat with this conspiracy seemingly against Anthy in order to make her brother's friend the new "Bride". Overall it really seems to be taking a darker turn, which was also shown through the "stairs song" having deeper voices in the mix, making it sound a lot more omnious than it was.

I already liked the first arc a lot, so I'm pretty excited to see what's next !
Mar 10, 7:06 PM

Dec 2020
They just burning corpses in that building??

And is what I think what was going on at the end WHAT WAS GOING ON?

This episode had a lot going on
May 14, 2:43 PM
Jan 2018
So Anthy's brother isn't "evil". He's just evil. full stop. This anime is dark enough for me to believe the incest is real and not another relic of the past anime keeps dragging to the forefront.

It is admittedly interesting that Anthy and the blonde girl have a jealousy thing over the guy they are both sleeping with. If it wasn't for the incest thing, I would be all about it. TBH, the Miki siscon thing is pretty similar to incest, if you read it a certain way. So perhaps this arc is the WINCEST arc.

I guess Utena's finishing move is a high speed thrust that can only be countered by skill or preparation. I wonder what Utena's next finishing move will look like.

I want a theatrical villain like Dr Tomoe in Sailor Moon S. Nanami is too unstable to fill the role of a fun villain. Hopefully, one of those two black rose mastermind's can fulfill the fun villain role well.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Alicia3000 - May 2, 2009

145 by MFDOOMED »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

92 by BreadKingBread »»
Yesterday, 11:50 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Mar 27, 2008

90 by GarfYouCant »»
May 23, 2:45 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kotori - Jan 23, 2009

202 by Fafette »»
May 23, 2:01 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Mar 27, 2008

73 by GarfYouCant »»
May 23, 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.