Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 2, 2012 3:33 PM

Sep 2012
another anime that should be added is FLCL for it methaphor of how we reach the adulthood.
Nov 18, 2012 4:41 PM

Jan 2012
The count of monty Cristo should be added.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 11, 2012 2:24 PM
Oct 2012
What about Death Note?
Jan 22, 2013 4:38 AM

Jan 2013
I suggest Eve no Jikan.

It happens in a future when robots and androids are nearly onmipresent and held in servitude and segregation by the Asimov's laws and a xeno/cyberphobic ethics comitee's strict laws, despite (or more probably because of) their intelligence.
With intelligence, comes the capacity for self-awareness, abstract thought, understanding, and finally independent action and emotional response... and these are the most dreaded things for the techophobes in charge.
The robots, while bound by the robotic laws, find a way to un-obey: if it isn't expressly forbidden, then it's tacitly permitted; so, behind their masters' backs, a few of them mix with humans in a bar where the rule is that no discrimination is allowed.
Whether their motivations for anarchically exploring the cracks of order are to practice human relations so they can become better servents or just chill out from their daily tasks, I believe they're of interest to anyone who claims liking philosophy.
My favorite genres: good Quality, better Quality, best Quality, Über-Quality.
Scoring criteria: Existence does not precede Essence.

Current status: OFFLINE. Even if not really.
I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Mar 13, 2013 10:44 PM

Jul 2009
I will get to adding some of these soon. I'm sorry for taking so long.
Mar 22, 2013 2:13 PM
Oct 2012
Hi everyone, great club, I hope to make lots of friends? :)

I recently finished Mawaru Penguindrum and I think it's quite a philosophical anime. It talks a lot about free will, that is one of the most intruguing and old problems of philosophy, and it explores the issues that arise with respect to determinism, moral responsibility and many other themes.

Shouldn't it be included in the list?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/10721/Mawaru_Penguindrum
Tsundereboy's life on anime: http://myanimelist.net/profile/tsundereboy
Mar 22, 2013 3:02 PM

Aug 2012
tsundereboy said:
Hi everyone, great club, I hope to make lots of friends? :)

I recently finished Mawaru Penguindrum and I think it's quite a philosophical anime. It talks a lot about free will, that is one of the most intruguing and old problems of philosophy, and it explores the issues that arise with respect to determinism, moral responsibility and many other themes.

Shouldn't it be included in the list?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/10721/Mawaru_Penguindrum

We're looking into possibly adding some shows to anime relations. Please be patient.
Mar 27, 2013 2:29 PM

Aug 2012
Because it covers many philosophical topics on life and growing up, FLCL has been added to anime relations.

Mar 30, 2013 12:35 AM

Jan 2012
I think Shinsekai Yori should be added on the list. And here is the reason why:

Sorry for my bad english I hope I could explain myself enough
Mar 31, 2013 2:50 PM

Aug 2012
Update for just the Anime Relations list at the moment:

All anime considered:
-Shinsekai Yori
-Mawaru Penguindrum
-Death Note
-Gankutsuou
-Madoka Magica
-Durarara!!
-Gunslinger Girl

Anime added to Relations list:
-Mawaru Penguindrum: plethora of symbolism and visual allusions to famous works of art. Looks at the concept of fate through a philosophical lens. Real life cultural references tying back to this concept.
-Gunslinger Girl: moral ambiguity strewn throughout. Each character has separate philosophies on life that are explored in the show. Moral dilemma between characters as weapons of violence and characters as actual people is explored.
-Shoujo Kakumei Utena: heavily borrows philosophical theories of both Carl Jung and Hermann Hesse. Also explores themes of existentialism and psychological analysis.

Anime rejected from being added:
-Durarara!!
-Death Note

Anime on hold or on the fence:
-Madoka Magica: Is a deconstruction of the magical girl genre. However, needs to be looked at further for philosophical elements or discussed with other admins for future placement.
-Shinsekai Yori: Will most likely be added in the future, but not now. I did not know enough about it to just arbitrarily place it on the list.
-Gankutsuou: Not sure about this one either. I will have to actually complete it before making an opinion on whether it should be added or not.

For Manga:

I apologize, but I only had enough knowledge on the anime I was considering. Since I do not read that much manga, there was no way I could've added any of the suggestions to the list.

It will get done however, I assure you.
Apr 4, 2013 2:42 PM

Jan 2012
by the way, why is not Jinrui on that list? It was a dark comedy with a lot of criticism of religion, politics and humanity.
Apr 4, 2013 8:46 PM

Aug 2012
Vis4Vanity said:
by the way, why is not Jinrui on that list? It was a dark comedy with a lot of criticism of religion, politics and humanity.

Because it takes some time to analyze each of these suggestions to see if they're philosophical in nature. An anime might seem like the most obvious choice, but we still need to look at it and determine that.

Sorry for taking so long.
Apr 5, 2013 8:28 PM

Dec 2011
Appleseed manga by Masamune Shirow.
Apr 16, 2013 9:47 PM

Nov 2007
Nice to see lots of suggestions!

Gankutsuou, I love this series, but I don't think it dabbles much in philosophy. You can definitely take away some themes about the nature of friendship and revenge and how far humans are willing to go to achieve goals, but those ideas aren't explored enough and are hardly the focus of the show.

I definitely agree with DRRR!! and Death Note being rejected. They both dabble with very simplistic ideas. They are like entry-level armchair philosophy ideas that don't really go anywhere or offer much meat to chew on.

I really have not seen much of the others and cannot comment on them.

I recently finished Steins;Gate. It was a great series.
Sep 22, 2013 2:08 PM
May 2012
Add Parasyte.
Lots of debate on ethics of murder,peaceful coexistence,dealing with losing loved ones
etc..........
Oct 24, 2013 6:58 PM

Sep 2012
Homunculus was nominated in the second page, has it got a verdict yet? In any case, I'm thirding its nomination.
Oct 24, 2013 7:26 PM

Nov 2007
Litrydow said:
Homunculus was nominated in the second page, has it got a verdict yet? In any case, I'm thirding its nomination.
I've been reading Homunculus, and I'm loving it. It's like Ichi the Killer but instead of violence, problems are solved through psychological analysis. That said, I think it's definitely more psychological than philosophical.
Oct 31, 2013 1:34 AM

Apr 2012
'I am a Hero' belongs on the list. It has a lot of interesting philosophy on the topics of Japanese culture, manga, and morality.
Nov 3, 2013 11:47 PM

Jan 2013
Shamo.
Aug 2, 2016 3:02 PM

Sep 2014
I would add:
-Fate/Zero (there is a thread about Fate/Zero in the club)
-Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (series, not the horrible movie adaptation)
-Kara no Kyoukai (I think whoever has watch KnK would say the same. KnK are 8 movies, I think, so maybe it would be good to add at least the first one?)

Here an article about Fate/stay night philosophy if someone is interested: http://sequart.org/magazine/25252/yet-those-hands-will-never-hold-anything-emiya-shirou-as-the-interactive-superhero-of-fatestay-night-part-1/
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Philosophical Quote Debate #2: Max Stirner

GonzoLewd - Dec 15, 2013

1 by Neostorm-X »»
Jun 27, 2022 11:01 AM

Sticky: » New Member Introduction Thread ( 1 2 )

Lithic - Jan 26, 2014

70 by morimemen »»
Jun 27, 2020 5:30 PM

» THE COVER PHOTO

PsychoX - May 3, 2016

0 by PsychoX »»
May 3, 2016 4:34 AM

» To the Bookshelf: Post Your Latest Texts

PleiadesRising - Sep 25, 2012

10 by removed-user »»
Jul 6, 2015 4:16 PM

» Films

Danish - Feb 1, 2011

12 by Kuandohan »»
Jun 1, 2015 4:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.