Forum Settings
Forums

Disabling the Option to Down-Vote Reviews

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 24, 2013 6:39 PM

Apr 2007

I completely agree. Seriously, I don't see those people that are well known with their reviews making such a big deal about downvotes, or any deal at all, because they either know that there are some people who are going to disagree with them or they could write their reviews better. I could also justify OP's lack of upvotes by how much PLOT SUMMARY his reviews have, and how he reviews mostly one episode anime. I wouldn't say trolls were the cause.

People can also troll upvote if they remove the downvote system so thinking that everything is going wrong because of the so-called "trolling" just sound like excuses to avoid the real problem. Also, I don't even think people would waste their time downvoting something that is not even on the front page (which is a separate issue).

I would also like to point out existing better suggestions:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=521089&show=0 (This thread lead to the implementation of new rules for reviews)
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=625739&show=0 (Place to write why vote unhelpful)
ZephysAug 24, 2013 6:43 PM
Aug 24, 2013 11:59 PM

Apr 2013
I support this motion! A ton of well-written reviews get endlessly downvoted because the fans don't agree with the opinion of the writer and just completely disregard the review's objective integrity itself.

EDIT: But I still can't think of a better way to go about things, so until then...
Aug 25, 2013 12:58 AM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
For those of you who think there isn't enough evidence to prove that people downvote for the sake of trying to degrade the reviewer without anything to do with the actual review itself, read this article and be informed.

https://nilblogs.wordpress.com/2013/08/11/what-reviews-on-myanimelist-hah/
Aug 25, 2013 8:17 PM

Jan 2010
I tried writing two reviews, just a few days ago actually. Both on mangas that didn't have many reviews. I made sure to follow the review rules, and in both cases wrote detailed reviews formatted with a short summary section first, followed by in-depth comments on the whole work and individual ratings such as art and story. I pretty well followed the rules for art and literature review learned over a decade ago now as an undergrad.

I didn't expect my reviews to make it to the main page for the manga, but I did think that the two mangas I reviewed deserved a quality unbiased review that looked at the total scope of the work. The other reviews were simplistic, and didn't really examine a lot of the work in question. Rather, they focused on specific things they felt strongly about. A story having an unhappy or bitter-sweet ending isn't a reason to lower it's score, for example.

In both cases, my reviews received unhelpful votes right away. After the first review, I found that the next day it had several down votes. This is on a review that wasn't on the first page, written about a not-popular manga. The same thing happened to my next review, and both accumulated negative votes over the next days. I'm really not sure why that is, particularly since my rating didn't deviate very far from the average, being only somewhat higher than the manga's average score. (my opinion was that both were somewhat underrated.)

Out of annoyance, I deleted both my reviews, since they were apparently not wanted on MAL. I don't plan on writing any further reviews on this site, I don't think the review system is likely to change.
Aug 26, 2013 1:13 AM

Nov 2012
Well, ppl dont read reviews they vote score, eliminating rating from reviews should fix problem.
Aug 26, 2013 2:55 AM

Jan 2010
You are very welcome SubPyroFlow,

It's a shame that the review system seems to be so much of a popularity contest. Thinking about it, it's probably true that MAL has lost a decent amount of quality reviews, and the chance to develop a consistent reviewing culture because of all of this.

I tend to look at and value anime and manga as an art form, rather than just as a source of entertainment. In a similar way, I consider novels and other forms of writing to be art. Storytelling is a powerful way to influence thought and emotion. It'd be nice to see these two methods of storytelling being treated more like art.

If I had to suggest an idea for improving reviews, it'd be to remove reviews from the front page, or have the shown reviews be chosen at random for each page view. This would discourage voting simply to gain a position on the first page. In addition, however, I'd also remove the up and down vote system, and replace it with just a report option. This way spam reviews can be drawn to the attention of the moderators. Falsely reporting a review as spam could have a penalty as well.

Let each person decide individually how much they value a review, the way it's worked for a very long time in the art and literature world.
Aug 26, 2013 3:04 AM

Jan 2009
sounds like a good idea. in facebook you can like and unlike but not dislike a comment and that is great for improving the mostly bad rated reviews here on MAL
Nov 25, 2013 1:38 PM
Nov 2013
Reviews are meant to be read by people who haven't watched a title? Is that so?

In that case, wouldn't it be logical to disable voting for members who added said title to their list?

That way only those who declare not having watched the title yet can vote.

I've just recently subscribed and started writing reviews, and I believe my writing style abides by the guidelines quite well. Yet every review so far got over 50% of down votes. I was surprised by that.

I know this is the Internet. There are trolls, there are assholes, there are members who down-vote others only so they can remain in the lead, there are people who vote for bad reasons (based on agreement, etc.)... And you know what, that doesn't really matter.

As long as at least 1 person found my review useful I can be satisfied. It means that there could be many more who read it and did find it useful but simply didn't vote.
Nov 25, 2013 9:13 PM

Mar 2013
I just noticed that like half of the posts on this thread got deleted, as well as the first post getting cut down to half.
Any explanation for doing this?
Nov 26, 2013 12:50 AM

Jan 2011
Mod Note: This topic was badly mauled during the hacker attack back in September. It appears that when the restore was done a number of posts ended up not coming back. Since a lot of the ebb and flow of the discussion is now missing, it is currently remaining locked with this note attached.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Instead of default Rōmaji have an option use officially translated English title

TheSunLife - Sep 13

14 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
8 hours ago

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

22 by IridescentJaune »»
Sep 23, 8:17 PM

» Prevent very new accounts from creating public interest stacks (And recommendations).

Daviljoe193 - Sep 21

9 by ScaryOwl »»
Sep 23, 2:44 AM

» Like button on user's comments in episode discussions

Katanaoni - Jul 19

8 by CosmicGirl »»
Sep 22, 2:48 PM

» Ignoring sub-boards.

Asako - Jan 6, 2008

4 by TransferUser »»
Sep 22, 1:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.