Forum Settings
Forums

People who've seen like 500+ anime, how do you keep finding good things to watch?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 28, 2023 2:09 PM
Level 1 Otaku

Jan 2018
The cool part is, I don't. Most shows per season tend to fall into the categories of mediocre slice of life or Isekai, relying on various gimmicks. I deliberately keep my expectations low, so nothing can disappoint me. By approaching each show with minimal anticipation, it allows me to be pleasantly surprised when I stumble upon something truly exceptional, making the experience all the more enjoyable.

Jul 28, 2023 2:51 PM

Aug 2013
I don't. For a long time I have a feeling that I watched everything what could be interesting for me, after I got this feeling I watched hundreds of so-so or boring and predictable anime series. Everything is isekai, CGDCT or game-themed anime nowadays. And I don't even mention anime which are all flashy but primitive in terms of plot, characters, and dialogues, same goes for old anime series and their remakes - they are exceptions made not for me. The era of dark anime start dying 20 years ago, now it's all about unicorns and rainbows with some mix of hysteria, forced drama and Joker-tier philosophy in Japanese manner. Modern 'comedy' anime aren't so 'comedic' anymore in fact. Of course there are very some rare exceptions exist but it's just a drop in a sea of 'cuties do some nonsense without a reason, so fun!'. Didn't watch much of anime for some time and Didn't find anything worthy except for new seasons of old anime I liked.
Jul 28, 2023 3:04 PM

Aug 2020
500? A lot? A lot to me is 800 onwards. I would ask your question to people who surpassed 1 or 2k anime.

But for me I guess there is always interesting stuff out there. And this site is one of the places I find them.

Jul 28, 2023 3:18 PM

Nov 2010
It depends on the individual. I have a feeling you're growing out of the hobby. I experienced the same thing when it came to gaming. After playing all game genres for decades, I lost interest one day. Maybe it's time for you to find a new hobby. Also, work ruined gaming for me. I'm tired and don't want to get stressed from playing after work. With anime, I can do it while working, and it's a good stress reliever.

I keep my watching experience fresh by diving into any show blind. Well, not totally, since I watch, depending on what genre I'm in the mood for. I also mix it up by watching live-action movies now and then. I've never relied on stacks, recommendations, YouTubers, etc.
Jul 28, 2023 3:41 PM

Dec 2015
@JKKH it's really easy. You do not have rules in your head about what a Anime should be.
This community in general is rulled by shonen fans, they only watch shonen they can only watch shonen.  They see the name and cover picture of a Shoujo etc and they already have decided that the Anime is bad. So they  can't enjoy anything else. This is so common it's nsane, the amount of people that get burned out of watching Anime always have this incommon.
I have seen more people complaining about how burned out they are then shows I have completed.

^ as long as you're not doing this, it's not a problem to find new shows to watch and never will bea  problem as we have ove 36k + Anime entries and getting more then 1k entries a year.

Japan is releasing more then you can watch, you will never run out of Anime to watch as long as you're opend minded.

I watch Yaoi to time to time, it's not really my coupe of tea even so i have found one i did enjoy a lot,
Even if the show had a gay couple the world, the story the life of the characters was really intreasting so i had no problem at all with the the BL tag and gay couple.

You're sitting youself up for pure failer if you're sitting here and thinking shonen is the only thing to watch.
Etc

Jul 28, 2023 3:47 PM

Sep 2019
Since i'm a complete NEET shut-in, i've been able to have plenty of time to find some great shows through either the rare recommendation or just scrolling through the forums here. Most of the time i just end up finding shows to watch whenever i look at any stacks on here. Finding good shows isn't too hard for me overall.
Jul 28, 2023 6:23 PM

Feb 2017
Nillwas said:
@JKKH it's really easy. You do not have rules in your head about what a Anime should be.
This community in general is rulled by shonen fans, they only watch shonen they can only watch shonen.  They see the name and cover picture of a Shoujo etc and they already have decided that the Anime is bad. So they  can't enjoy anything else. This is so common it's nsane, the amount of people that get burned out of watching Anime always have this incommon.
I have seen more people complaining about how burned out they are then shows I have completed.

^ as long as you're not doing this, it's not a problem to find new shows to watch and never will bea  problem as we have ove 36k + Anime entries and getting more then 1k entries a year.

Japan is releasing more then you can watch, you will never run out of Anime to watch as long as you're opend minded.

I watch Yaoi to time to time, it's not really my coupe of tea even so i have found one i did enjoy a lot,
Even if the show had a gay couple the world, the story the life of the characters was really intreasting so i had no problem at all with the the BL tag and gay couple.

You're sitting youself up for pure failer if you're sitting here and thinking shonen is the only thing to watch.
Etc
I have no problem watching a variety of things. I not really zeroed in on one specific genre. I think I might just be too picky lol. 
Jul 28, 2023 6:35 PM

Jun 2017
The recommendations page of our favorite anime series.

That and buying random dvd's and watching their trailers to see if they include anything good being advertised.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Jul 28, 2023 6:53 PM

Oct 2014
I don't believe an anime has to be good or worthwhile to watch it. Ultimately came to the point of viewing the medium more rationally rather than emotionally.

Anime is probably the thing I'm most passionate about, so I'm ever striving to expand my knowledge of it. In order to do that, you have to be open to anything and everything. No limitations whatsoever. My liking of an anime isn't necessary to get that key piece to further my understanding of the medium, no matter how little it may offer. Since I neither need nor want to like every anime, I've built up quite a high tolerance, if I say so myself.

This frame of mind goes hand in hand with being a completionist. I realize this mindset is extremely uncommon and isn't particularly helpful to your question.
Jul 28, 2023 7:49 PM

Jul 2021
I don't have 500 completed shows but I basically don't find anime to watch anymore.
Jul 28, 2023 8:02 PM

Aug 2012
I've seen a lot of anime, true, but there is a lot more out there that I haven't seen. Most of the time I just randomly stumble upon something that I think sounds interesting and add it either to my MAL list or my A-P list, but often times it'll sit there for months or even years before I get to it because I watch seasonals and also because I tend to gravitate toward mindless entertainment via trashy anime when I need to destress lol. I don't know why, but some really trashy anime I just find incredibly relaxing to watch. I know I still have a lot of good anime in my lists, but I just have to be in the mood to pick them up to actually watch them (I'm an aspie, a.k.a on the autism spectrum, so for me, personally, I very much have to be in the mood to watch certain things or I lose interest within 5 minutes tops).
Jul 28, 2023 8:08 PM

Jul 2021
Not everybody who listed 500+ shows actually watched 500+ shows, when you check their list you're likely to find music videos or shorts that last 1 minute. Just saying, don't feel too impressed by the number.

As for your question, I probably shouldn't be speaking, since I haven't quite reached the 500+ completed and I mostly watch seasonals, but there are hundreds of older titles I actually would like to check and never do. Sometimes a nice visual kei is enough to make me interested, other times it takes an interesting gif getting shared on discord or a glimpse of a scene I come across on socials. MAL also helps: once you read enough times about ergo proxy you kinda start wanting to check it.
Jul 28, 2023 8:35 PM

Dec 2016
I watched a stupid amount of top 10s and such, adding anything that looked even remotely watchable, which bloated my plan to watch list A LOT. the 900 some i've watched is still only 3/5 of my entre list.

but also randomanime.org is a good site if literally anything will do, or you can even add genre filters or episode amounts, stuff like that

Jul 28, 2023 8:58 PM
Jul 2023
I think you have watched a lot of great shows and have high expectations or maybe you just want to watch shows that hook you from the start .I personally have been watching anime for over a decade ,and I usually watch anime from whatever genre I am fond of or trying something new that I normally wouldn't get into like darker shows .But honestly I just watch whatever the fuck I can in my limited time whether they be old or new just for entertainment nothing else
Jul 28, 2023 9:25 PM
Jul 2021
Don't ignore that damn planned list. When I think I can't find more anime and then I look in my planned list there are still like 40 different anime series. Don't look out for anime just to put it on planned list not touch it again. Just go by hunch and watch just any anime you see. If the anime is bad then drop it else watch it and repeat.
Jul 28, 2023 9:27 PM

Feb 2017
_Xerox_ said:
Don't ignore that damn planned list. When I think I can't find more anime and then I look in my planned list there are still like 40 different anime series. Don't look out for anime just to put it on planned list not touch it again. Just go by hunch and watch just any anime you see. If the anime is bad then drop it else watch it and repeat.
Lol I'm very guilty of this, it's fun to try to find new stuff I've never heard of but I guess I should dust off the ptw list occasionally 
Jul 28, 2023 9:27 PM
Aug 2014
Just do what some anime fans seem to prefer the worst tortures in hell than to do: go watch old anime.
Jul 28, 2023 10:12 PM

May 2015
There is BAZILLION works that can keep someone entertained for way more than a lifetime, it's no big deal, don't think about it and just watch literally whatever and you're bound to watch good entertaining works, it's no big deal, it ain't rocket science and you don't need to think about it.
Jul 29, 2023 4:57 PM

Oct 2020
ive seen a bit over a 1000 now and honestly, it feels like it's just the tip of the iceberg. though there are truthfully more misses than hits and why mean score is relatively low, but its finding those diamonds in the rough that make everything worthwhile :) ...as for how i find them, most of the time its through dumb luck if im being honest haha. its just right place at the right time.

✧ THE NIGHT SHONE UPON TWO, ME & YOU ✧ FORUM SET BY:SAINTZEPH

Jul 29, 2023 5:44 PM

Feb 2021
I'm also curious about this. I've been watching anime for 10 years and only have 294. Maybe I'm just picky though. 
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Jul 29, 2023 6:42 PM

Sep 2016
..how do you keep finding good things to watch?

One of the ways I find new stuff to watch is following the Anime News section. I'll read the synopsis for each new show announcement, and tag the shows that seem interesting as PTW.
Another way is to look up the next season's line-up and again read the synopsis, and tag the interesting ones as PTW.

Especially for the isekai genre, just reading the title of a show can give you an idea if it might be interesting.

After watching anime for a while (some people can figure it out after 100 shows, others might take 500 or more) you figure out which genres and tags you seem to like.
Do a search for those tags or genres and then decide from each synopsis which shows interest you.

If you don't want to put in that much effort, you can take your chances with RECs... If you like X, then you might also like Y...
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Jul 29, 2023 7:48 PM

Dec 2012
Well, I've seen so much because I'm 40 and have been watching anime for 26 years.  I' also like a lot of genres so more stuff may appeal to me.  Some tips for finding things and padding your list:

-Find a good anime news website like ANN, and read their daily articles so you know what's coming out when in advance.
-When there is a new season of shows, go through the list (MAL has one on the home page) and read the descriptions and watch their PVs. If they look good add them to your Plan to Watch list.  Watch them when they air.
-Watch shows from your plan to watch list in between seasons.
-Watch sequels, prequels, movies, OVAs, etc. associated with franchises you like.
-There is more to anime than just TV series.  Watch movies and OVAs too.
-Experiment with other genres you don't normally watch
-Watch older shows as well
-Watch other demographics.

KruszerJul 29, 2023 7:55 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Jul 30, 2023 1:57 AM
Jul 2021
Let me put it simply, the more you watch, the harder it gets to find a good one.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7211 by Hikinekomori »»
1 minute ago

» Do you feel like theaters outside of Japan should reconsider expanding screening for anime movies, do daily rerun daily screening events, etc. since not all of us are able to make it due to busy life, important matters, etc.?

WingZeroRequiem - 3 hours ago

8 by Toooooooooohru »»
3 minutes ago

» Rate my top 10 shows of all time!

Iron_Leopard - 21 minutes ago

3 by SmugMiri »»
4 minutes ago

» What if aliens made every anime have aliens in it?

APolygons2 - Jun 2

36 by TRC_Randy »»
9 minutes ago

» Is there any anime which you haven't watched but you enjoyed the Hentai/Doujin centred around that perticular series ?

GoodBoy0069 - Jun 1

22 by Toooooooooohru »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.