Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 2, 2023 11:24 AM

Feb 2021
And it turns out that the majority of people here on MAL like BL genre.

Great!

Mar 2, 2023 12:24 PM
Jan 2019
Dieymir said:
seinen with gay overtones.

for ex. https://myanimelist.net/manga/141833
I'm curious, is Young Ace Up a seinen magazine then? Because I've seen mixed tags for this series: as only boys love on several sites and as both seinen and boys love. Both is possible (since one is a broad genre and the other an equally broad demographic), but not seen that often imo. There are also bl that "seem" like they could be seinen/shonen etc. but in fact aren't (and to be fair, those are made by more experienced bl mangaka and not that common either).

Btw if you haven't already read it, the same author has a short oneshot manga called "Period" as well. It has the same unsettling, thriller/horror feeling if you're into that.
Mar 2, 2023 12:44 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I'll watch it if it's a good show; I really liked Banana Fish. But watching yaoi just for the sake of yaoi? heck no

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 2, 2023 12:52 PM
Jan 2019
Absurdo_N said:
Bisalissy said:
Like, with more action and not just drama and Slice of Life?

I forgot to add the "sexual" element, but that's it.
 I like slice of life, but I prefer more action.
Alongside action, you mentioned violent and frantic and these four come to my mind at first thought: (they're all manga, so no manhwa or manhua)

-"Nocturnal dogs" by Yoichi Makina
-"Syunrai to mitsu" by Retsujyo
-"Badass" by Haji (pretty much any manga from this author is more action oriented)
-"Coyote" by Zariya Ranmaru

Sorry that that's all I remember for now, idk if you'd like anything else, but feel free to ask.
Mar 2, 2023 1:04 PM

Jun 2019
I'm male and completely neutral on it. I will neither seek out nor avoid an anime with Yaoi listed as one of the genres. The way I would treat it is the same as anime of other genres, which is just deferring to the appeal or lack thereof of the synopsis.

Which is my same attitude, by the way, toward Yuri. Also, I never found anything predominantly or with Yaoi "exciting" or titillating personally in an erotic way, the same as with Yuri.
Mar 2, 2023 1:32 PM

Aug 2021
Nutella71 said:
Absurdo_N said:

Alongside action, you mentioned violent and frantic and these four come to my mind at first thought: (they're all manga, so no manhwa or manhua)

-"Badass" by Haji (pretty much any manga from this author is more action oriented)

Sorry that that's all I remember for now, idk if you'd like anything else, but feel free to ask.

Thanks for the recommendations, at some point I will check.

Mar 2, 2023 3:21 PM

Aug 2011
definitely yes, sometimes I recommend BL manga or anime in the recommendation forums and there are dudes who're open to it
desu desu binches
Mar 2, 2023 5:01 PM

Oct 2022
I have complained about yaoi on several threads. I disagree that it's targeted to women, but that's another story. If someone 1.makes a BL story that's the boy equivalent of Adachi&Shimamura, then yes I'll watch it, or 2.if someone recommends me a BL anime that is close to that and not rushing to sex scenes in the first 10 minutes then I'll take a look. 
Mar 2, 2023 9:26 PM

Jan 2015
Not a fan of it, personally. Not because of guyxguy, but just a bunch of other elements commonly found in yaoi that I'm not a fan of, also it just doesn't appeal to me. I respect it from afar, and those who appreciate it.
MadanielFL said:
Yaoi, yuri, straight, idc I like them all. 
その目だれの目?
Mar 2, 2023 10:10 PM

Feb 2021
Nutella71 said:
Dieymir said:
seinen with gay overtones.

for ex. https://myanimelist.net/manga/141833
I'm curious, is Young Ace Up a seinen magazine then? Because I've seen mixed tags for this series: as only boys love on several sites and as both seinen and boys love. Both is possible (since one is a broad genre and the other an equally broad demographic), but not seen that often imo. There are also bl that "seem" like they could be seinen/shonen etc. but in fact aren't (and to be fair, those are made by more experienced bl mangaka and not that common either).

Btw if you haven't already read it, the same author has a short oneshot manga called "Period" as well. It has the same unsettling, thriller/horror feeling if you're into that.

Yes, it is seinen manga magazine in which published different works.
BetaMaleUltra said:
I'll watch it if it's a good show; I really liked Banana Fish. But watching yaoi just for the sake of yaoi? heck no

I also like Banana Fish! Glad that they haven't showed the tragic finale in the anime.
Nutella71 said:
Absurdo_N said:

Thanks for the recommendations!
cornonacob said:
definitely yes, sometimes I recommend BL manga or anime in the recommendation forums and there are dudes who're open to it

You do a good job, thank you! I would be happy to read your recommendations too.
limitbreakcake said:
Not a fan of it, personally. Not because of guyxguy, but just a bunch of other elements commonly found in yaoi that I'm not a fan of, also it just doesn't appeal to me. I respect it from afar, and those who appreciate it.
MadanielFL said:
Yaoi, yuri, straight, idc I like them all. 

Thank you for this kind words from the bottom of my heart and soul! I really appreciate it, thanks! Also the image that you posted is amazing! I like it!
Mar 3, 2023 2:26 AM
Jun 2021
Dieymir said:
TheMechaManiac said:
Ur gay man, probably should touch some grass. For real.

shut the fuck up. Your the one on a forum post about this, so this tells a lot about you when your a vocal minority here.

>it's a New Yorker who says this

Like pottery. America was a mistake.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Mar 3, 2023 6:33 AM
I wish you had added a poll as well so that we could see results 
Mar 3, 2023 6:42 AM
Oct 2021
TheMechaManiac said:
Dieymir said:

shut the fuck up. Your the one on a forum post about this, so this tells a lot about you when your a vocal minority here.

>it's a New Yorker who says this

Like pottery. America was a mistake.

Okay? funny this is coming from someone in eastern Europe. Go back to being Russia's fuck buddy if your gonna say some stupid shit under a post you have no opinion on.
Mar 3, 2023 7:12 AM

Feb 2021
Fluffygreygrass said:
I wish you had added a poll as well so that we could see results 

Yes, I agree.

@KanekiKen523, please add the poll.
Mar 3, 2023 7:41 AM

Oct 2020
If just Hot Guy goofing around with his homie then i fine with it though. Ex. Free, Banana Fish, Gangsta, Black Butler
Mar 3, 2023 8:20 AM

Feb 2021
xNAOMI said:
If just Hot Guy goofing around with his homie then i fine with it though. Ex. Free, Banana Fish, Gangsta, Black Butler

I haven't watched Free! yet, like the guys there. Banana Fish is one of my favorite anime, like it so much!
Mar 3, 2023 9:06 AM

Dec 2021
I don't.

Unless its characters like Astolfo.
Rosa Umineko Drip

The Witch of Badassery.
Mar 3, 2023 9:11 AM

Oct 2017
KanekiKen523 said:
I feel like the only guy who somehow enjoys Yaoi stuff even though it's targeted towards ladies. Is there any guys here who like Yaoi or BL stuff? Even though I do enjoy Yuri, there are times I find myself watching anime that's targeted towards women. Anyone else find yourselves in a place like that? Not to say anime with lots of males should be for only females and anime with lots of females should be for males.

Sure I can enjoy BL. Granted most of my experience is with actually explicit stuff but I have been trying to branch into less of that.  Ultimately I mean it's BL. I think shows like Banana Fish you can recommend to everyone because even though it has BL elements that isn't the focus. Yuri on Ice too but shows that are explicitly about the romance going to be honest I think for the most part you have to be gay or bi (like me) to really enjoy that stuff as a man. Romance thrives on selling romantic fantasies either to people who self insert into the work or desire the characters in question. If you are straight dude why would want to insert into a malexmale relationship? Or what would you find appealing about two dudes getting together. So yeah makes sense that a lot of dudes don't find it interesting (granted I think bisexuality is higher in guys than reported but still straight is the dominant sexuality). 

Shojo/josei you will find a lot more male fans of those demographics. I pretty much watch/read everything. Just got done finishing The Vision of Escaflowne awhile back Sunrise attempt to take the Gundam formula and convert into a high fantasy setting with heavy shojo influences on the writing/art. 
BilboBaggins365Mar 3, 2023 9:18 AM
Mar 3, 2023 10:01 AM

Jan 2013
I mean... I could watch yaoi if it's actually a good romance, but otherwise I would rather just be watching something with girls. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 3, 2023 10:20 AM

Oct 2017
Opppsy , I'm discovered >//<
It's great watching an anime and someone drew something about your secret favourite ship. (even better if it's a full story complete story too)
Mar 3, 2023 1:08 PM

Dec 2022
Don't kiss me, kiss him was a good anime, other than that no.  It's not my thing yet I wouldn't stop watching an anime it had boy love in it - depending how far the love goes
Mar 3, 2023 1:23 PM

Feb 2021
BilboBaggins365 said:
KanekiKen523 said:
I feel like the only guy who somehow enjoys Yaoi stuff even though it's targeted towards ladies. Is there any guys here who like Yaoi or BL stuff? Even though I do enjoy Yuri, there are times I find myself watching anime that's targeted towards women. Anyone else find yourselves in a place like that? Not to say anime with lots of males should be for only females and anime with lots of females should be for males.

Sure I can enjoy BL. Granted most of my experience is with actually explicit stuff but I have been trying to branch into less of that.  Ultimately I mean it's BL. I think shows like Banana Fish you can recommend to everyone because even though it has BL elements that isn't the focus. Yuri on Ice too but shows that are explicitly about the romance going to be honest I think for the most part you have to be gay or bi (like me) to really enjoy that stuff as a man. Romance thrives on selling romantic fantasies either to people who self insert into the work or desire the characters in question. If you are straight dude why would want to insert into a malexmale relationship? Or what would you find appealing about two dudes getting together. So yeah makes sense that a lot of dudes don't find it interesting (granted I think bisexuality is higher in guys than reported but still straight is the dominant sexuality). 

Shojo/josei you will find a lot more male fans of those demographics. I pretty much watch/read everything. Just got done finishing The Vision of Escaflowne awhile back Sunrise attempt to take the Gundam formula and convert into a high fantasy setting with heavy shojo influences on the writing/art. 

I agree with you that bi people enjoy such works more, I also read and watch everything.
Mar 3, 2023 1:26 PM

Aug 2017
I'm not very interested in Yaoi but still more than I am by Yuri.
Mar 3, 2023 1:37 PM

Aug 2020
Shoujo is all I watch that is targeted for women.

Mar 3, 2023 1:37 PM

Aug 2020
All in all I understand the yaoi preference.

But big round tomboy titties are my favourite thing.

Mar 5, 2023 1:27 AM

Feb 2021
KitsuFrost said:

I agree with your yaoi position, thanks.
Mar 5, 2023 3:44 AM

Aug 2020
Memore said:
KitsuFrost said:

You are very welcome, fellow user!!

Mar 5, 2023 4:11 AM

Feb 2021
KitsuFrost said:
Memore said:

You are very welcome, fellow user!!

Thank you so much, my friend, for your kind words!
Mar 5, 2023 10:54 AM

Apr 2022
I'm a girl but i'm yaoi fangirl since long and met plenty of guys who were also in the fan community as i stated before and i didnt wanted initially to add anything on this topic but something bugs me here its how many guys seems to think yaoi can only be enjoyed by guys who are gay or bi and i certainly seen its not the case, sure if you are it may makes enjoying yaoi easier (may because they also are plenty of gay guys who hates yaoi) and for the obvious reason of searching some rare gay representation in fiction obviously guys who are irl gay/bi are indeed well represented in the yaoi lovers community but i've also met plenty of guys who are straight and enjoy the plot, romance etc...guys sexuality shouldnt be questionned over their enjoyement of yaoi i mean i'm a straight girl i loved Utena while it's yuri, i knows tons of straight girls who do enjoy good romance/plot in yuri and are straight and our sexuality is never questionned for our enjoyement of some yuri animes. I think its pretty cliche way of thinking and may get some straight guys who are interested in some yaoi stories not daring watch what they could enjoy because of fearing people would think they are gay for enjoying it and that would be pretty sad and narrow minded. 

Tifa Lockhart (FFVII) - Forum Signature by craftyaegis on DeviantArt

Mar 5, 2023 12:57 PM

Dec 2022
Sylpheline said:
I'm a girl but i'm yaoi fangirl since long and met plenty of guys who were also in the fan community as i stated before and i didnt wanted initially to add anything on this topic but something bugs me here its how many guys seems to think yaoi can only be enjoyed by guys who are gay or bi and i certainly seen its not the case, sure if you are it may makes enjoying yaoi easier (may because they also are plenty of gay guys who hates yaoi) and for the obvious reason of searching some rare gay representation in fiction obviously guys who are irl gay/bi are indeed well represented in the yaoi lovers community but i've also met plenty of guys who are straight and enjoy the plot, romance etc...guys sexuality shouldnt be questionned over their enjoyement of yaoi i mean i'm a straight girl i loved Utena while it's yuri, i knows tons of straight girls who do enjoy good romance/plot in yuri and are straight and our sexuality is never questionned for our enjoyement of some yuri animes. I think its pretty cliche way of thinking and may get some straight guys who are interested in some yaoi stories not daring watch what they could enjoy because of fearing people would think they are gay for enjoying it and that would be pretty sad and narrow minded. 

Well said, I'm straight and born in the 80's, gay people have never bothered me and I never was judgemental about them either.  Any type of human for that matter.   Anyway, even in anime when bl happens it doesn't bother me.  As long as there is more then just that to the anime I'd watch it.  And as long as it doesn't get too erotic as well.  Hen I don't judge it, it's just not my demographic taste.  In my favorite anime Ninja Scroll the main bad guy is bi and one of his underlings clearly fits the cliché profile of gay.  Yet still you wouldn't want to fight that character lol, he seems relentless in battle.
Mar 5, 2023 4:32 PM

Dec 2022
Thanks to this thread, I discovered https://myanimelist.net/anime/33222/Fudanshi_Koukou_Seikatsu

Enjoyed that show
This is your reminder to drink water 💦 or eat some fruit  🍒 🥝
Mar 5, 2023 4:51 PM

Jun 2021
No.6 is the only BL-ish-related I like. Nezumi is very relatable. Shion is cool and kyuuto. The story is amazing. The art is beyond awesome. 10/10.
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What are some kinks anime has awoken inside you?

Thy-Veseveia - 20 seconds ago

0 by Thy-Veseveia »»
20 seconds ago

» Anime characters you like ONLY for their fanservice? (be honest)

asureiwong - 10 minutes ago

1 by IpreferEcchi »»
49 seconds ago

Poll: » r/Anime vs MyAnimelist. ( 1 2 )

Makoto_Yuri - Apr 21, 2022

95 by karrotStick »»
54 seconds ago

» Was there a recent recounting of character favorites?

asureiwong - 40 minutes ago

2 by asureiwong »»
27 minutes ago

» Nominate 1 character from your Favorites that would be the best at Butt Sumo, and nominate 1 that would be the worst

IpreferEcchi - 11 hours ago

8 by Jackson1333 »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.