Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Eminence in Shadow (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Nov 16, 2022 1:44 PM
Aug 2021
Bro this show started off good and now it’s just slow and boring
Nov 16, 2022 1:49 PM

Aug 2017
Cid cracks me up sometimes.

This dude is trying so hard to live a back-ground character life and not draw out too much attention. That is hilarious to me.

His fight with Rose was hella extra. 48 techniques?! Like dude, ain't nobody got time for that! So glad that the referee cut in midway to end the match.

And oooooh boi. Looks like Cid's chocolate really got the best outta Sherry. She's feeling herself up after having some.
I love her little interaction with Alexia. Wanting to know if Alexia and Cid were still dating. It's funny how Alexia almost had a breakdown with her coffee cup.

The climax of the episode was quite a twist. A bunch of "shadow Garden" wannabes takes over the academy. Cid saves Rose from an attack and gets seriously injured.
That "yamero" scream from Cid made me burst out laughing. I'm sorry but that was too funny hahahaha!
They had to zoom in on his face while screaming hahaha!

Nov 16, 2022 1:59 PM
Aug 2021
Jog this whole background character things is getting just predictable and boring so many animes have done this already and they did it better honestly the whole school life isn’t why anyones watching in the first place we’re barely even seeing any of the shadows and the side characters are just so boring and generic I mean I’ll finish it since I’m already 7 ep in but Jesus I was expecting so much better
Nov 16, 2022 2:00 PM

Oct 2021
Yo Cid is dead, he's gonna get isekaied again.
Nov 16, 2022 2:03 PM
Mar 2018
probjodye said:
Tatsuke4 said:

The vice captain dude, called marco i think

And why was Nu dreaming of herself with him?

He was her fiancee before she got cursed
Nov 16, 2022 2:10 PM

Jan 2015
this is too good <3
Trying my best with english d-_-b
Nov 16, 2022 2:13 PM
Feb 2019
The Sherry and Alexia scene was great. Also Cid getting slashed at the end of the episode seems to be part of his plan to distance himself from Sherry and the problems of Main characters.
Nov 16, 2022 2:18 PM
Jun 2020
I just saw the first scene and now I definitely don't trust Sherry.
Nov 16, 2022 2:32 PM
Oct 2021
this show is halarious, i love the mc, so many good scenes this episode lol
Nov 16, 2022 2:37 PM

Jan 2021
Bro really said he still has forty eight Background Character Techniques 💀😭
Nov 16, 2022 2:47 PM

Oct 2021
MeanEYE said:
This show doesn't know what it wants to be. Mundane episode for the most part but with yet another cliffhanger. I think am gonna give it one more episode and then drop it. There doesn't seem to be road to redemption.

It's a parody similar to OPM, a comic relief mc in a serious story.
Aluphramasy said:
what chapter to read after eps 7?

Manga? Chapter 10, but reading it from the 1st ch is a different experience because of how the comedy executed + more info in general, anime on the other hand has more action.
Nov 16, 2022 2:50 PM
May 2020
cid casually using his other 33 techniques at the end... i hope

Oct 2021
KuramaXz said:
Jog this whole background character things is getting just predictable and boring so many animes have done this already

Wait, what other anime parodying it aside from Saiki K?
Feb 2015
I think the series is directed well enough since Ep1 showed they've at least read up to book 4, but the visuals are only good when almost nothing is moving. I think its why this episode looks a lot better than some of the ones before it.
Nov 16, 2022 3:11 PM
May 2020
why tf would you start a good story baiting us in, making us invest in it and then boom changing every thing and turning the protagonist from a potensial top anime heros to the lamist most irritating character ever
Nov 16, 2022 3:18 PM

Oct 2020
kind of disappointed they didn't animate any of his background techniques :'(

✧ FOUND YOU, MY DARLING ✧ FORUM SET BY:BUNNY

Nov 16, 2022 3:22 PM

Feb 2017
NakedSnake113 said:
CocoaGalaxy said:

The impression I had is that, either deliberately or unintentionally, the author is trying to "press as many buttons"
Who knows if its intentional.

I myself am rather upset, for the most part. The pacing and character balance is really meh. Everyone else seems to like it for some reason that I dunno.

Many comedy parts are off in this ep. It's disappointing. I think you should check the LN or manga soon. Cid's crazy inner thought in arena and before terrorist attack have been cut out.

Oh so what I've been thinking is true? The adaptation is screwing things up, the idea seems pretty good and the first episode was too but the episodes were I struggle to stay awake keep increasing in frequency.

Is the manga as good as the LN?
Nov 16, 2022 3:32 PM
Mar 2021
Best over the top actor of the season (maybe of the year) Cid kagenou.
Nov 16, 2022 3:44 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
NOOOOOO CID IS DEAD!!!!! at least I think he got a nice view before he died

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 16, 2022 4:02 PM

Oct 2012
Yeah the tournament mini-arc was as painful to watch as I expected. I do feel like they dragged the scene too long. From around 7:20 to 11:00, around 3 and a half minutes of pain was a bit much.

Alexia having a framed photo with cid, turned sideways from the bigger ones, was kind of cute.

Nov 16, 2022 4:15 PM

May 2019
So Sherry is becoming a "main" character, I thought she would've become a background character by now. The way she ate that chocolate though... and when she went to visit Alexia I again thought Alexia would've been over Cid, girl still is having withdrawals wow lol.

Cid isn't doing a good job of becoming a background character with trying to show off his multiple defeat techniques and sacrificing himself for new girl Rose. Regardless, I'm curious how he'll overcome the fake Shadow Garden cult after taking a serious hit.
Nov 16, 2022 5:22 PM

May 2016
What a day a championship to show that he is a great character in the background hahaha what a past hahaha he kills me with laughter but posing as that the princess recognized him haha he attacks without him noticing XD we'll see the ex-girlfriend who tells him hehe he's out of control.
Nov 16, 2022 5:38 PM

Mar 2018
Wow, what an utter waste of time this episode was.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Nov 16, 2022 5:39 PM

Nov 2011
First part was hilarious. Second part was cool. Cid getting sliced at the end I'd like to think is part of his plan. But with him unable to use Magic well...we'll see I guess.

Alexia getting jealous was hilarious.

The animation was pretty damn clean as well.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Summer 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Nov 16, 2022 6:08 PM

May 2021
EdgyLord666 said:
That's the thing, at times it presents itself as comedy, then others it tries to be serious, then they add drama, then comedy again. Every few episodes they switch and I have no idea where they are going with it. With OPM it was a very clear direction.
Nov 16, 2022 6:13 PM
Nov 2020
I'm really disappointed after I saw Rose character design on the anime version, I don't know how she draw on Light Novel since I'm only reading the manga.

Rose on manga version is absolutely above from the anime version, it's truly 10/10 on manga and 4/10 on anime.

Rose should be a cute princess with high spirit that always want to do her best, it's not like a high princess with a smug face on it, it's truly wrong.

The anime adaptation already make me disappointed on the first episode and it's still keeping getting cringe and confusing.

Really hope they're doing more better than this, since the manga version is 10/10
Nov 16, 2022 6:13 PM

Sep 2011
>wants to be a background character
>gets up from a MC level character's attack 15 times after using blood packs

Cid my boy I know you like to gaslight, gatekeep, and girlboss but that doesn't make sense.
Nov 16, 2022 6:46 PM
Apr 2021
I wonder which background character technique Cid used at the end there, he did say he had 32 left to try out.
Nov 16, 2022 6:48 PM
Oct 2018
probjodye said:
Can someone explain to me what Nu was talking about in this scene?
and who is this guy?

StephNov 17, 2022 6:35 AM
Nov 16, 2022 7:15 PM

Oct 2021
MeanEYE said:
EdgyLord666 said:
That's the thing, at times it presents itself as comedy, then others it tries to be serious, then they add drama, then comedy again. Every few episodes they switch and I have no idea where they are going with it. With OPM it was a very clear direction.

Uhh no? The mc is always a parody character and he never take the plot seriously. It's literally doing the same thing with OPM, everyone else are dead serious, but the mc is kinda just there doing their own thing.
Nov 16, 2022 7:34 PM
Nov 2018
Luxeraph said:
NakedSnake113 said:

Many comedy parts are off in this ep. It's disappointing. I think you should check the LN or manga soon. Cid's crazy inner thought in arena and before terrorist attack have been cut out.

Oh so what I've been thinking is true? The adaptation is screwing things up, the idea seems pretty good and the first episode was too but the episodes were I struggle to stay awake keep increasing in frequency.

Yes, you can check a little from this.

Tournament:

Before terrorist attack

When he "saved" Rose

They messed up many comedic parts, so I recommend you read the LN or manga. The biggest selling point of this LN/ Manga is Cid's batsh*t crazy himself, but looks like the anime butchered it.

NakedSnake113Nov 16, 2022 7:47 PM
Nov 16, 2022 8:17 PM

Mar 2013
can't wait for the next few episodes, it's gonna be great
Nov 16, 2022 8:39 PM

Mar 2007
In this episode:-

1. How to fake your horrific losing at sword fights, stuntman style!!

2. Sensual chocolate eating 101 - NGL I wanted chocolate after this.

3. Upset a princess by asking innocent questions about her so called .. Ex, that she clearly still has feelings for

4. Stuntman to the rescue!!!
Nov 16, 2022 10:03 PM
Oct 2019
LMAO Background character special technique.

Sherry is too horny meanwhile Alexia was jealous...

Cid really commit as background character and save the heroine lol
Nov 16, 2022 10:09 PM

Oct 2022
What an ending! I think I'm starting to like this series more and more. At times, I wish Cid would use his OP moves but then again I like how he wants to remain a background character
Nov 16, 2022 11:34 PM
Aug 2022
Anyone of you know when "eminence in shadow " English dubbed when will be out?
Nov 17, 2022 12:34 AM
Jul 2012
Every week this anime gets more and more confusing to me on what exactly Cid does and doesn't know. Is it just a bad adaption or is the source material like this? I feel like there's little to no background on the shadows and what they are, and I'm struggling to figure out what is supposed to be comedy and Cid being an idiot versus what he actually knows and is aware of. Going into this anime, I was under the premise he never has any idea what's going on and just accidentally gets himself in situations, but it seems like he knows more and more. I also really can't tell what he thinks of his shadows between him thinking they are just roleplaying with him or if he's aware of what they do and know. At least to me the anime seems extremely unclear if Cid is supposed to be all knowing or know nothing, constantly flipping back between these two sides which doesn't make the picture any clearer.

Like this episode for example, where he thrills in being a background character and doesn't want to get involved in things, but does anyways, whereas in previous ones he was more proactive in getting involved in things and being showy. The back and forth between these two kind of Cids is pretty jarring to me and I find it difficult to tell what's going on. Am I missing something here? Or is it supposed to be this muddy? At this point, at least to me, it feels like his isekai power is thinking into existence the world. Like what delusions or lies he thinks of, actually become reality. Is that the point or twist?
No I don't read manga. Why? Because according to MAL manga readers, all anime is either: too rushed, too slow, anime original, or a terrible adaption. I like to enjoy anime for what it is, anime.
Nov 17, 2022 1:31 AM

May 2021
EdgyLord666 said:
Uhh no? The mc is always a parody character and he never take the plot seriously. It's literally doing the same thing with OPM, everyone else are dead serious, but the mc is kinda just there doing their own thing.
Not the feeling I got and it's far from OPM. But I suppose to each his own.
Nov 17, 2022 1:49 AM
Oct 2022
It's funny. But the plot is jujst starting so I also like the pacing.
Nov 17, 2022 1:57 AM

Feb 2017
NakedSnake113 said:
Luxeraph said:

Yes, you can check a little from this.

Tournament:

Before terrorist attack

When he "saved" Rose

They messed up many comedic parts, so I recommend you read the LN or manga. The biggest selling point of this LN/ Manga is Cid's batsh*t crazy himself, but looks like the anime butchered it.

Wow the anime is doing the manga dirty, it seems like the problem is they cut his excessive monologuing and rush somethings to make him look like a normal person.
Nov 17, 2022 3:38 AM

May 2015
Between Cid's mob-fu and taking such a dangerous attack at the end of this episode. I think he truly is a legendary background character.
Nov 17, 2022 3:54 AM

Sep 2018
Zelberg said:
I'm really disappointed after I saw Rose character design on the anime version, I don't know how she draw on Light Novel since I'm only reading the manga.

Rose on manga version is absolutely above from the anime version, it's truly 10/10 on manga and 4/10 on anime.

Rose should be a cute princess with high spirit that always want to do her best, it's not like a high princess with a smug face on it, it's truly wrong.

The anime adaptation already make me disappointed on the first episode and it's still keeping getting cringe and confusing.

Really hope they're doing more better than this, since the manga version is 10/10

Care to post a side-by-side comparison of a frame from the manga with one from the anime. Because I really don't get what you're saying.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Nov 17, 2022 5:01 AM

Jan 2014
Man, his mob arts are just hilarious. And this supposed cliffhanger doesn't quite work since its probably just another "mob art"
Nov 17, 2022 5:17 AM

May 2021
oscar worthy performance by the mob king but rip ig. so tragic.
Nov 17, 2022 5:21 AM

Oct 2016
Damn, RIP Cid... I wonder what number in his Background Character Techniques is that though lmao. Cid's "fight" with Rose was really hilarious.

The way Sherry was eating those chocolates was uhh, sussy. Alexia really hiding that picture frame of her and Cid. Lucky Sherry, she left before Alexia got the chance to slice her into pieces.

Whatever the fuck mob techniques Cid is doing, he's still getting baddies left and right.
Nov 17, 2022 5:29 AM
Jul 2020
fisty123 said:
My internal struggles with Cid being the way he is continues, but everyone will just keep responding not to take this show seriously which is fine but the humor is not that good either it's forced.
I want to enjoy this and I enjoy everything outside of it expect when Cid is at school, the mob-persona is way over the top to the point of annoying for me.

I have seen comments say the adaption is done poorly, the humor is well better in the source material, but I just can't see Cid waking up and going oh wait everything these girls are doing is real and not part of my chuunibyou fake story for me to read this.

Yeah honestly, Cid's cluelessness starts to look dumb. It's very forced and unnatural. He's like a budget version of Ainz in Overlord.
Nov 17, 2022 5:49 AM
Sep 2021
A dangerous group has infiltrated Cid's academy and the villain group is seen to have a relationship with Diabolos Cult, let's see how it plays out.
I give it 5/10.
Nov 17, 2022 6:25 AM
Jul 2016
really bad directing. frame to low. lack build up situation. cid too much ignoring someone. bad emotion drawing. contrast lighting so bad. cant hear sound of magic or sfx editing.

important thing : fail to be comedic, hes pretend to be hurt after fight with bloodbath, then the end anime trying to say cid is in dangerous state by giving clifthangger to viewers. this was really bad directing anime.
Nov 17, 2022 6:49 AM
Apr 2022
cid could've lived longer in his first life if his passion was towards acting instead of being a delusional procrasinator
Nov 17, 2022 7:46 AM
Wings

Apr 2017
Most ketchup-looking blood I've ever seen.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2022

186 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2023

765 by BlaiseAuto »»
Sep 4, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2022

149 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 9, 2022

165 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 2:26 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2022

388 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 1:36 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.