Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Horimiya
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 6, 2021 8:10 PM

Sep 2019
I see no problem in this whatsoever.
I allow it lol

"俺は海賊王になる男だ!!!"
Feb 6, 2021 9:43 PM

Oct 2015
MajorLeeGaming said:
supernicolasman said:
Less overhyped than rezero, at least you care and like the characters here.

most 🧢thing i've ever heard in my life, the highlight of rezero ARE the characters.

rofl this guy is obsessed of Re zero . He brings Re zero in very others forum . He is tsundere lol .
Feb 8, 2021 5:59 PM

Jan 2021
I'm on the same boat as you guys... I'm 5 episodes in and I haven't seen anything remotely interesting in the story except for Tooru. I felt more connected to his character than the male MC.

Hori and Miyamura's secrets were the most disappointing part of this anime. I thought it'd be something serious but it's just a big sister doing chores at home and a guy with tattoos and piercings. Kinda stretching it out for a supposed "secret"

Their romance also feels rushed. I didn't feel anything when Hori and Miyamura got together. I was just like "Ehhh... sure. I guess it's cool you got together."
Sore wa chigau yo! - Junko Enoshima, probably
Feb 9, 2021 2:03 AM
Mar 2020
Junko_Simp04 said:
I'm on the same boat as you guys... I'm 5 episodes in and I haven't seen anything remotely interesting in the story except for Tooru. I felt more connected to his character than the male MC.

Hori and Miyamura's secrets were the most disappointing part of this anime. I thought it'd be something serious but it's just a big sister doing chores at home and a guy with tattoos and piercings. Kinda stretching it out for a supposed "secret"

Their romance also feels rushed. I didn't feel anything when Hori and Miyamura got together. I was just like "Ehhh... sure. I guess it's cool you got together."

They skipped so much funny and wholesome chapter. Like 40% of the actual chapter. Its a really rushed adaptation because the director wanted to end it in 13 episode so he had to rush it.

The manga was way better pacing, overload diabetes moment. All the drama are only like 15% of the total manga but the anime decide to adapt mostly drama part. Overall as a manga reader it was a poor adaptation but at least more people will start to read this masterpiece
Feb 10, 2021 7:54 AM

Jan 2016
Definitely overrated atm. It is good but nothing special.
Feb 10, 2021 10:54 AM

Dec 2014
#Insert obligatory ''Is it just me or is this overrated'' thread ... sigh ... this site is full of sophisticated 12yo's ...
Feb 10, 2021 2:13 PM

Aug 2020
kronopy said:
#Insert obligatory ''Is it just me or is this overrated'' thread ... sigh ... this site is full of sophisticated 12yo's ...

welp thats how internet work, 30% of it is full of opinion discussion
Feb 11, 2021 12:50 AM

Jan 2021
kronopy said:

I honestly don't see anything wrong with these kind of threads... It does bring some discussion to the table. Plus, it's not like people are being forced to read these. you can just ignore it if you don't want it.

Sore wa chigau yo! - Junko Enoshima, probably
Feb 14, 2021 3:42 PM
Jul 2020
I dunno. I can't judge this show yet until it's finished but I do feel like this show is being rushed. Not a manga reader btw
Feb 14, 2021 11:41 PM
Feb 2021
Yeah it is a fairly basic romance anime, personally I think there are better ones out there, but if your somewhat bored I'd recommend it.
Feb 15, 2021 12:13 AM

Jun 2020
Agree, the beginning was good but now I got bored of it, nothing special just like other romance-comedy anime. Yeah, still enjoyable I think.
Feb 15, 2021 12:48 AM
Jul 2016
I think it's overhyped since many of them read the manga and loved it, just like me. Most of us have high expectations for the anime I guess, thus the hype. So far, I still prefer the manga but we'll see how it'll go.
Feb 15, 2021 12:52 AM
Jul 2016
mavericko said:
Junko_Simp04 said:

They skipped so much funny and wholesome chapter. Like 40% of the actual chapter. Its a really rushed adaptation because the director wanted to end it in 13 episode so he had to rush it.

The manga was way better pacing, overload diabetes moment. All the drama are only like 15% of the total manga but the anime decide to adapt mostly drama part. Overall as a manga reader it was a poor adaptation but at least more people will start to read this masterpiece

Wholeheartedly agree! The vibe between the manga and anime adaptation is definitely different. Honestly, I was a bit upset that the anime decided to go that way but oh well, I still love the manga.
Feb 15, 2021 1:09 AM

Jul 2014
It's a decent enough series, but one with a load of glaring flaws on a directorial level alone (most notably the breakneck pacing and barely-present scene transitions). Even though I wouldn't personally rate it so high myself, I could easily understand it sitting at a mid-to-high 7 based on how MAL's ratings typically work out. But over 8.5? For this? Seriously?

One of the big things I see people praise about this series is the main couple quickly getting together, rather than dragging out the confession like a lot of romcoms do. Now, I wouldn't disagree about that approach being frustrating, but you can't just praise a show because other shows in its genre do something badly; the fact that this is such a common praise does serve as an indictment on the state of anime romcoms, however. That point becomes especially true when this show's approach of taking the other extreme - of having the confession happen very quickly - leads to a relationship that is hollow and hard to invest in because the show hasn't presented Hori and Miyamura together enough to make it work properly (and this then circles back into the aforementioned pacing issues this series has, which exacerbate these problems of rushed relationship development).

It also doesn't help that I haven't found this show funny once so far, and instead find its oddly casual use of physical violence for comedic effort to be somewhat disconcerting. In particular, Hori is so casual about kicking her father, throwing books at Miyamura and otherwise acting like the 100% stereotypical anime tsundere. On that note, I have to laugh at the notion that these characters are in any way realistic. At the very least, in Hori's case the show has given Hori her strange domestic situation and enhanced her dere traits as appropriate to try and hide the fact that she's just a stereotypical anime tsundere with zero depth or realism whatsoever.

It's not all bad, as there was one episode I've genuinely enjoyed thus far (episode 4, I think it was), but there's a lot of problems that make me confused about why this show and its source material are rated so high. Equally, though, I do think there's a bit of hype backlash at play in terms of how I'm viewing this show: expecting something special out of "the most watched romcom premiere in MAL history", not getting that and instead being more vigilant to issues than I probably would be in normal circumstances.
Feb 15, 2021 1:31 AM

May 2019
Agreed. The pacing of the anime since episode 1 felt too fast. Nothing interesting about the side characters. I think Hori and Miyamura are to soon to start dating. The jokes of misunderstanding are used quite frequent can be repetitive. The characters are also lack depth most of the time and appear comedic too much. There is one good thing from this show. It is the quality of the animation that looks clean consistently. Other than that pretty much average roncom.

Feb 15, 2021 4:32 AM
Oct 2018
You're definitely not alone in that thought.

There are a lot of glaring issues that people refuse to acknowledge. In fact, ironically, they defend it by referencing the manga and saying "this and that happened in the manga" which just proves the holes in the anime.

A lot even claim that it's unique and realistic. Like what? Having secrets? Pretty much almost all characters have a secret or two. To be honest, it's so weird that Hori just allows Miyamura inside their house without issues despite being almost completely strangers to each other beforehand. To add, Hori has fallen for Miyamura in a single episode. Like, where the did the character development go?

All in all, was the anime bad? Not much. But was it good enough to deserve it's current score? Absolutely not.
Feb 15, 2021 4:38 PM

Sep 2018
It's not controversial at all, I can't believe this 6/10 series is at 8.59 right now lmao... Must be the clown manga readers inflating the score.

Feb 15, 2021 5:23 PM

Mar 2020
Its overhyped as fuck. There is no way this deserves 8.5. Its a very basic romance anime with a very basic and barebones cast and the MC's past is simply there as a gimmick
Feb 15, 2021 6:01 PM
Feb 2018
It gets over 80% 5/5 for every eps, so many ppl is enjoying this

It has great animation, funny character and dialogue, no cgi, faithful adaptation, no power up, no plot armor,

So it's good and not overrated
Feb 15, 2021 6:15 PM

Oct 2017
Everyone who REALLY likes this show is gonna say, "Of course it's not overrated. It's amazing!" On the other hand, people who feel pretty meh/dislike it will agree with you. I think the issue with this show is that the manga fanbase is quite large, and those people probably gave it high scores because they KNOW that they'll like it. Shows trend down typically for this exact reason. We'll have to see where this stabilizes after the show ends. I think the score is pretty high now, especially if you consider the fact that manga scores are typically much higher than anime scores. However, you never know how some of these blockbuster shows are gonna fare with the anime-only crowd.
Feb 15, 2021 6:17 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Overhyped no, I mean I had no idea that this was coming out until just a couple weeks before it started airing. Apparently it was always a super popular manga for a long time with a loyal following. So you can't blame them when their favorite manga finally gets a real adaptation! There was that other one a few years ago but that's just you know, whatever.

And it's just a fun, light-hearted high school romance, if that's not what you were looking for, too bad then? Objectively speaking then yeah it basically isn't anything special. But there's really nothing to complain about either other than possibly the pacing which may have been to quick due to skipping some manga scenes. Other than that, it only has a high score because well, because people like it I guess. This is one that really, really comes down to personal taste; and in my case, I'm loving it so much.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 15, 2021 10:53 PM
Dec 2017
i more excited to watch horimya every week than aot final season
Feb 15, 2021 11:43 PM
Jan 2021
yeah... i'm gonna be honest i don't really like romance didn't really care for the plot i just liked the character design

TLDR: characters attractive though
Feb 15, 2021 11:59 PM
Oct 2020
Maid Sama reversed innit really. Rather than working in a maid café, Miyamura has his own secret.. bad life choices mean he won't feature in that time tested beach/onsen/pool episode..
Feb 16, 2021 2:15 AM

Nov 2019
a lot of watchers are manga readers like me so ofc it's gonna get hyped, as it is one of the most popular manga here in MAL, heck it's one of the most popular romance manga of all time.

So far, I think cloverworks has done an amazing adaptation.

Fairly enough, I can see why people would think this as average

for me it is an amazing romcom with amazing and entertaining characters.. It's also my stress reliever

Feb 16, 2021 2:36 AM

Mar 2018
GakutoDeathGlare said:
It's not controversial at all, I can't believe this 6/10 series is at 8.59 right now lmao... Must be the clown manga readers inflating the score.

It's definitely the manga readers. I heard that they skipped much content from the manga. Stuff important for fleshing out the characters. No wonder it feels hollow and rushed.
Feb 16, 2021 4:02 AM

Aug 2020
Alpha_Druid said:
GakutoDeathGlare said:

It's definitely the manga readers. I heard that they skipped much content from the manga. Stuff important for fleshing out the characters. No wonder it feels hollow and rushed.

Damn, even they rushed this too?
Feb 16, 2021 10:46 AM
Mar 2020
cenj0o said:
Horimiya just came out of no where. Right when it was announced I saw so much hype from manga readers. I didn’t even know Hormiya even existed and then saw it was one of the top manga here on MAL. It was super surprising.

So I got pretty underwhelmed after watching 5 episodes of this show. I mean for those looking for a breath of fresh air or a cliche rom com then heres the show for you. Animation is clean, characters are ok, couldn’t get enough of the opening (straight heat), but other than that I also don't really get why it was so hyped and is still hyped.

To me its just another cliche rom com with clean animation. Nothing more. Maybe the manga is better or something? I think because it was so hyped is why I would probably give it a 6. My expectations for this show were set too high.

The anime was rushed way too fast. Each chapter was so long that i think each chapter should be 1 chapter per episode. But they cut it to 3-4 chapter per episode. thats how fast it goes.

It wasnt anyone fault. the director said he was given budget for only 13 ep to complete the story. For a monthly manga SOL getting an adaptation was already a bless after 10 years of no proper adaptation. Its a masterpiece romcom that i would reread it several times. The manga is better paced, overdosed sweetness and amazing writing
Feb 16, 2021 2:58 PM

Aug 2020
Kogaweebs123 said:
am i the only one think that this anime is a bit overhyped?
honestly, i just dont get the appeal of it, its like your average school romance that you see for 100 times, again this is only 4 episode so i am pretty sure i havent get to the good stuff yet. but looking at first 4 episode alone doesnt seems appealing to me.

I understand your point, but I disagree.

Feb 16, 2021 3:20 PM

May 2015
Nothing wrong with just a basic romance, it doesn't have to be "interesting" to be good. More often than not this involves overly dramatic plots just to make things less boring which could turn out simply stupid. Even here I don't appreciate how Hori is so short-tempered at times making up a problem out of nowhere. It's nice to have something more relaxing sometimes, where people act like actual people and actually talk to each other instead of chewing on their own thoughts for half the season.
Feb 19, 2021 4:53 AM
Jul 2018
I used to be a big fan of the manga, but I changed a lot and seeing the chapters I read ages ago animated in 2021 made it clear to me that both the source material and the adaptation has serious flaws that I overlooked for the sake of the fluff. It's not just a matter of rushing things, although I don't think pairing characters faster is bad or worse than doing it slowly. But the specific way Horimiya does it reveals lacks in planning and pacing both in the case of the source material and the adaptation . The story dissolving isn't really THAT terrible in itself, but the regularity with which certain characters either get assaulted/ridiculed or do so to others ( for bigoted reasons sometimes ) really makes it harder and harder to continue appreciating it. And just to make sure nobody misunderstands me, I don't think that the mere inclusion of bigotry in a story/setting/certain characters or situations means that the whole work is bigoted or necessarily even militant about it ( Horimiya is mostly casually homophobic ) . it's just that this particular work really could use to not have these moments and the adaptation did nothing to fix this. Also, I really wish certain moments had more impact, like the headbutting scene. Anyway, I don't think it's particularly bad, just that it doesn't really do as much as well as other anime with a similar score
Feb 20, 2021 5:54 AM
Nov 2017
Idk why but this show is boring and overhyped. Dont mad at me, i just tell what i feel after watching this. Horimiya just general romance anime. Nothing special. 5/10 so far.
Feb 20, 2021 9:37 AM
Apr 2020
Yeah, it's so boring honestly. I do not understand the hype.
Feb 20, 2021 9:48 AM

Mar 2020
i mean the story is pretty simple, tbh it feels so realistic in more ways than one. the story feels like a story u'd get in highschool (which it is). no complicated plot points, story and etc just (imo) good characters and chemistry from all the character interactions

Feb 20, 2021 11:13 AM
Jan 2015
My theory is that shows that lack anything potentially offensive (or, in my opinion, interesting) usually appeal to a wider audience, and also tend to get scored higher because there are less haters bringing the score down.
Feb 20, 2021 12:55 PM

Nov 2013
Same thoughts here. I haven't read the manga but the 7th episode felt too random and rushed! Rushed like school starts at 8 and you wake up at 7:45 kind of rushed! It feels like a promo for the source material with no planned 2nd season and shit. I'd say, too fast development is WORSE than slow development.

Don't see anything special in this anime worthy of top 100 to be honest (don't know if manga is better), apart from good animation/drawings. As for the characters, Yoshikawa is probably the only one who still interests me the most - after ep7 that is. Probably because she wasn't developed yet lol, but maybe also because of her nature. Don't know if I should stick around simply because of her though. Thinking about other characters, I don't think I care about any of them for some reason lol.
Feb 20, 2021 1:01 PM

Jul 2019
Very overhyped lol. I am guessing that Spy x Family will spit out a similar reaction.
Feb 20, 2021 4:08 PM

Feb 2015
I find it really odd people rate other romance shows over this one especially ones where the romance never goes anywhere or is totally purile. Take love is war for example, it's a much better comedy but better romance? Not a chance.

I cant stand shows where the two leads dither around for 12 episodes and we never get past blushing or handholding. You can claim Horimiya is overrated but so are alot of anime romance shows.
Feb 20, 2021 5:58 PM

Dec 2016
Personal opinion here.
But yeh, I think it is not really as much as people are pointing it out to be. Is a much less "drama focus" show, and is overall a nice and happy story.
But I usually prefer some drama on my romcom's and so ... Additionally,I can't really relate that much to the character's
Feb 20, 2021 7:47 PM

Apr 2017
7 episodes in, and I think this series is definitely overrated. The characters are good, the story is okay, but that's all there are to it. There's nothing exceptional about it and the pacing of the anime is absolutely terrible where in one episode you can have two to three different segments that don't relate to one another with different atmosphere and theme. Like the latest ep7, it has the 3 different themes in it; love triangle (sorta), yearning, and sex. These 3 segments completely differ from one another, especially the first segment transition into the second one where things just felt left hanging. There's no continuation to what was happening in the next segment and it feels very jarring. I think it could be done better, like how Dragon's Maid was done by KyoAni where they rearranged the story flow.

TLDR- it's okay, not THAT great, definitely overrated, but better than a lot of other romcom.
Feb 20, 2021 8:06 PM
Community Mod
Aug 2019
Thread Locked for not encouraging meaningful discussion per Anime Discussion Rule 2.

This thread is just a variation of overrated/underrated. If you feel that you need to voice if something is overrated/underrated feel free to post it under the thread located here.

In accordance with the board-specific rules please remember to follow the Site Guidelines as well to further prevent violations.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Horimiya Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Jan 23, 2021

232 by exho26 »»
May 4, 4:03 AM

Poll: » Horimiya Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2021

407 by Devill4010 »»
May 1, 2:18 AM

Poll: » Horimiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2021

152 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 22, 6:43 PM

Poll: » Horimiya Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2021

165 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 22, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Horimiya Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2021

217 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 22, 11:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.