Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 25, 2017 7:06 AM

Oct 2011
It's a lazy way to resolve a conflict. I still give some that does it a pass as long as it's not that absurd.
Jan 25, 2017 7:11 AM

Jul 2014
It doesn't bother me all that much unless it happens both repeatedly and blatantly, as it does in BTOOOM. I thought the series was pretty enjoyable overall but the sheer amount of situations our Average Joe protagonist survives unscathed is ridiculously implausible and broke my immersion a number of times.
Take care of yourself

Jan 25, 2017 7:16 AM

Nov 2016
It sucks and it's bad writing. Booh.
Jan 25, 2017 7:46 AM

Apr 2015
People die when they're killed bruh, let's make all anime like Game of Thrones!
Apr 19, 2018 1:01 PM
Feb 2017
My thought on plot armor is, if we saw it from a view where the story been told and not we watch it streaming, think as the hero told us the story of their adventure, so its logic for him not to die..and its not weird to keep survive from death..there is an old man in japan tht survives both nagasaki and hiroshima bombing..and one man named grigori rasputin, he survived after got stab in gut, been poison with cynide in his food and wine (report said the poison enough to kill 5 adult)..shot in chest and ran away, then been shot in forehead and thrown into river..then he actually alive when got thrown to river but die from drowning(the death is still been debated so im not sure).
Apr 19, 2018 4:32 PM

Jan 2011
its inevitable if its an anime that focuses on action an im ok with that as long as its not overused

though i gotta admit some of my fav action anime do have lots of death scenes
Apr 19, 2018 5:32 PM

Mar 2016
I'm okay with plot armor as long as the plot is good
Apr 19, 2018 5:40 PM
Apr 19, 2018 7:49 PM
Dec 2016
What bothers me the most is when the protagonist(s) do not face the consequences of their actions. If they survive a potentially fatal blow to the chest then fine. But you could not expect me to believe that they recovered quickly enough to rush to the next battle or did not suffer any life-changing injuries. Unless you provide some logical explanatio. Or, possibly, instead of the protagonist(s) dying, maybe their loved-one died which solidifies how threatening the events really are without killing the protagonist(s). If you kill the protagonist(s), then the story ends. Unless that was the intention.
Of course, I think it also depends on the context of the story. But if you keep placing characters in similar death scenarios and they continue to survive despite the odds, then I might get bored.
Apr 19, 2018 8:11 PM

Nov 2017
Plot armor makes me laugh. Someday I want to see an anime where the mc becomes self aware of their plot armor and starts doing reckless things because they know they can't die.
Apr 19, 2018 10:33 PM

Apr 2018
impossablank said:
Plot armor makes me laugh. Someday I want to see an anime where the mc becomes self aware of their plot armor and starts doing reckless things because they know they can't die.

I'd totally watch that; would be hilarious! xD

As for plot armor itself, I don't mind it all. And I don't think it's bad storytelling either. If I was a mangaka I wouldn't want my characters, that I created in many years and with all my love, dead only to please some fans who dislike "plot armor".
Who are we to say what the author should to his/her characters (not only the MC, but there are Animes out there were literally nobody dies except for some real evil enemies)? If you guys want to see People die, then go watch Higurashi or Corpse Party. But accept that not every author wants to kill off their beloved characters.
Apr 19, 2018 10:44 PM

Oct 2017
Plot armor usually refers to unbelievable ways in how the MC can survive certain life-or-death events so in that way, it's already pretty bad storytelling. The author has to come up with a way to make it at least semi-realistic so not to get any sour taste for the viewers. It's okay once in a while but not a good one to be used excessively. One Punch Man is the only anime I could think of that uses plot armor in a great way as it already established that premise since the first episode, filling up the story with entertainingly great fights along with interesting characters other than Saitama.
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Apr 19, 2018 11:01 PM

Mar 2015
history told by the winner, not by loser... and usually trough lot of luckyness too, which kind of similiar with what people called plot armor nowdays... as long not bending already estabilshing logic or heavily abused, i am fine....
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 19, 2018 11:14 PM

Jan 2017
Bleach is the worst example of plot armour.

Oh no !!! He is going to die !!! There is no way he can survive now

*after some time*

Oh !!! He is alive.....
Thanks to the medic team, it came on time.

LOL
Apr 20, 2018 12:05 AM

Jul 2017
fst said:
Can't live with it, can't live without it.

Make a show where the MC doesn't die, everybody complains about plot armor. Make a show where anyone can die, everybody complains about lack of development and wasted characters. The only winning game is not to play (hence why every season has so much moeshit).

The primary utility of the phrase is as a generic tool to disparage whatever shitty show you didn't like without having to come up with an actual argument about why it's bad, which then leads to shitty internet forum level discussion when somebody inevitably challenges you on it.

Kinda like calling a show edgy or pretentious.

This. Is so true.

I'm fine with Plot Armor as long as it's done right.

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Apr 20, 2018 6:48 AM

Oct 2012
Yeah The Odyssey would have been way better if Odysseus died half way through and the rest of the story meandered to the end with no clear protagonist.

OT this seems like a super bizarre complaint. Yall want anime to go against one of the absolute most basic consistencys in all of story telling? No medium does this, but you want shounen animes where the protagonist just dies half way through?
Apr 20, 2018 1:20 PM

May 2016
‘Plot Armor’ is one of those 'chic' creations of wannabe reviewers.

For sure, when challenging one's acceptable limits of disbelief, there is bound to be those moments that cross an arbitrary 'line' at some point. However, that line is already in the realm of absurd fiction, so why care?

If you realise at some point you are no longer feeling tension based on the level of peril, chances are that tension is your own fabrication. When one is riding a roller coaster, the thrill is from the plunge, not the thought of, 'oh gosh, maybe we will derail, and I will be obliterated into one glorious pulp!”'...well, I mean, if that IS your thought, then seek help, like, now.

The narrative situation is based on investment and that investment is informed by the fictionalised level of peril. That peril is either derived from knowing a character can (and will) suffer a penalty; or it comes from admiration coming from knowing a character can (and will) overcome (any) challenge. Think of the latter as similar to watching a magic show. We all know (or at least I hope we do…) that a magic trick is just that, a trick. The same is true for *groans* ‘plot armour’, because it is used when a ‘trick’ is performed. It does not somehow avoid some misguided attempt at verisimilitude…

Point is, the idea of 'plot armour' is moot because fictionalised peril is integral to a niche experiences: either a character can overcome impossible/absurd situations via a trick, or they can’t because it is established that tricks cannot overcome certain problems in the narrative. Both outcomes are equally valid, in a narrative sense, based on the kind of anime you are watching.

I mean, this is not to say there is poorly written anime out there…but that’s the point: THEY ARE POORLY WRITTEN! Why bother with a phrase like, ‘plot armour’? It’s a useless phrase used by useless people (basically).

Remember, we are, after all, dealing with fiction here. Takes a rather dull mind to try a drag fiction down to the level of reality...

JaarinApr 20, 2018 1:24 PM
Apr 20, 2018 1:40 PM

Oct 2013
Have you guys heard about multiple main characters? It's okay to kill mc, the mc doesn't always have any chara development, because when the mc die, they can become the lore to the whole story itself, or become the reason for another chara to grow.

Don't be a close-minded person and think that 'it's okay to have plot armor because what the point if the main character dead?'

My point is be flexible and don't put the plot on a single chara, because sooner or later deus ex gonna get summoned for the plot sakes lol
Apr 20, 2018 2:09 PM

May 2016
Scavendgarr said:
Have you guys heard about multiple main characters? It's okay to kill mc, the mc doesn't always have any chara development, because when the mc die, they can become the lore to the whole story itself, or become the reason for another chara to grow.

Don't be a close-minded person and think that 'it's okay to have plot armor because what the point if the main character dead?'

My point is be flexible and don't put the plot on a single chara, because sooner or later deus ex gonna get summoned for the plot sakes lol

I feel your logic doesn't quite flow - an anime does not change (it is already made), ergo flexibility comes from appreciation of the variety, not the exclusion of the singular, no?

I mean you posit such mechanisms as 'deus ex machina' in the same breath as being flexibility as though enjoying one instance of absurdity is mutually exclusive with being open minded.

Either you can enjoy any fictional event (i.e you are open to enjoy multiple forms of entertainment or experience); or you require a particular set of circumstances (i.e you need a certain anime, or a specific kind of experience) to have fun (I personally prefer the former).

Seems a tad unfair to demand someone to be open minded whilst criticising them for accepting a certain type of experience.

How can one be open minded whilst restricting themselves?

Apr 20, 2018 2:15 PM

Feb 2018
I don't have that much of a problem with plot amour unless it's made way to obvious or even breaks the internal logic
Apr 20, 2018 2:17 PM
Jan 2012
You need just right amount of plot armor. Look at Kaiji for a good example.

Also, I think plot armor will not be a concern if your story/plot is good.
Apr 20, 2018 2:23 PM

Oct 2013
Jaarin said:
Scavendgarr said:

I feel your logic doesn't quite flow - an anime does not change (it is already made), ergo flexibility comes from appreciation of the variety, not the exclusion of the singular, no?

I mean you posit such mechanisms as 'deus ex machina' in the same breath as being flexibility as though enjoying one instance of absurdity is mutually exclusive with being open minded.

Either you can enjoy any fictional event (i.e you are open to enjoy multiple forms of entertainment or experience); or you require a particular set of circumstances (i.e you need a certain anime, or a specific kind of experience) to have fun (I personally prefer the former).

Seems a tad unfair to demand someone to be open minded whilst criticising them for accepting a certain type of experience.

How can one be open minded whilst restricting themselves?

Im not really criticizing or anything, just giving my opinion that you can have more than one mc, that's my point. You can literally ignore my other statements, because like you just said, my logic is not flowing, it so absurd even I don't even understand
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect, part 2.

Gashadokur0 - Yesterday

29 by Orokanatenshi »»
3 minutes ago

» Good characters trapped in bad series.

Anjuro - 3 hours ago

21 by Cammell »»
4 minutes ago

» Is romance/slice of life the greatest anime genre? ( 1 2 )

Semester1 - Yesterday

59 by Cammell »»
6 minutes ago

» What filters do you use while browsing MAL?

Dije - 3 hours ago

10 by TheMechaManiac »»
20 minutes ago

» How accurate is your country and countrymen portrayed in Anime?

Dragevard - Yesterday

15 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.