Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 21, 2016 4:36 PM

Sep 2016
Mokir said:
Lord_Sithis said:
Hi! I've beaten the game without leveling up (not even dex) and it was pretty easy.

Then how about going outside for once?

I think he just believes anything moving slow=easy.
It actually fits you risk reward mantra, slow attacks are meant to be powerful, and this is communicated through feedback with relatively long attack preparation phase animation so that players don't have excuses for not dodging. Obviously there's more to it than "dodging" when your actions are tied to a cost in the energy bar, you don't mindlessy do stuff and break the game but spend said energy for tactics supporting your plans - taking decisions.
It's obviously hard because at the end of the day difficulty in single player games is about affecting the overall pace and everything in ds is pretty much lethal making players slow down all the time.
FondenteDec 21, 2016 5:01 PM
Dec 23, 2016 6:05 PM
Jul 2018
sunfire02 said:
Mokir said:

Then how about going outside for once?

I think he just believes anything moving slow=easy.
It actually fits you risk reward mantra, slow attacks are meant to be powerful, and this is communicated through feedback with relatively long attack preparation phase animation so that players don't have excuses for not dodging. Obviously there's more to it than "dodging" when your actions are tied to a cost in the energy bar, you don't mindlessy do stuff and break the game but spend said energy for tactics supporting your plans - taking decisions.
It's obviously hard because at the end of the day difficulty in single player games is about affecting the overall pace and everything in ds is pretty much lethal making players slow down all the time.
Ehm... no. It's just that after beating Dark Souls 4 times you've pretty much memorized the entire game and know exactly what to do. With a Lightning Spiked Club +5 you're still dealing 300+ damage per hit, and you can get the Chain set which offers pretty good defense too. If you know what you're doing, the game shouldn't be much harder than the regular experience. And no, Dark Souls is not a hard game. "Everything in Dark Souls is lethal" is also incorrect. The only way you would be in danger in Dark Souls is if you clickspam, don't use your shield, or make really bad mistakes. None of that should happen once you have experience.
Dec 23, 2016 6:25 PM

Sep 2016
It's very obviously not a game of memorization, with very lethal enemies (slow attacks=high dmg remember?), which fits the idea of its slow gameplay, affecting the amount of risk in taking paths, which reaches high spikes, and the overall pacing of the game, 'cause that's what makes sense discussing difficulty in a single player game such as ds and that's why ds is hard.;l
"everyone should know what to do with experience" they have to get that first, what are you even talking about
FondenteDec 23, 2016 6:33 PM
Dec 23, 2016 6:52 PM

Oct 2012
I usually just stick to whatever normal difficulty the game provides unless i'm going through a 2nd playthrough, or there is some kind of incentive from playing at a higher difficulty.
Dec 23, 2016 9:36 PM
Jul 2018
sunfire02 said:
It's very obviously not a game of memorization, with very lethal enemies (slow attacks=high dmg remember?), which fits the idea of its slow gameplay, affecting the amount of risk in taking paths, which reaches high spikes, and the overall pacing of the game, 'cause that's what makes sense discussing difficulty in a single player game such as ds and that's why ds is hard.;l
"everyone should know what to do with experience" they have to get that first, what are you even talking about
You read only half of my post. I said that after beating it 4 times you most likely have memorized everything notable (including hard parts) in the game. "Slow attacks = high dmg", that also mean you have a stupid amount of time to dodge the attack. And you've never played a hard game if you insist so much in Dark Souls being hard.
Dec 24, 2016 3:22 AM

Sep 2016
I read the whole thing you just don't know what we are talking about
Dec 24, 2016 4:58 AM

Sep 2014
DeadSnow24th said:
Though I welcome having a challenge in video games, I prefer difficulty when it is set on a curve, allows me to take things slow or requires some brainpower and strategizing

Same, I really hate it when games get sudden difficulty spikes, which seems to happen a lot in JRPGs, resulting in a mandatory need to grind, which is never much fun.

Overall, I preferably don't want a game to be a cakewalk, but there's plenty of games I've played that have been easy as all hell, but I didn't play or enjoy them for the difficulty. There's several different factors that go into making a game enjoyable, difficulty doesn't always have to be one of them, but I do like to be presented with challenges regularly enough.
Dec 24, 2016 11:43 AM
Jul 2018
sunfire02 said:
I read the whole thing you just don't know what we are talking about
You are just in denial because you struggled hard with Dark Souls, at least that seems to be the case. If you legit think Dark Souls is hard, you need to go play hard games.
Dec 25, 2016 9:49 PM

Nov 2016
I set them on normal difficult because I want to focus more on the story without too much delay and distraction. I replay some games at a higher difficulty.
Dec 28, 2016 3:08 PM
Dec 2016
It depends on the type of game, but i enjoy being challenged. I usually turn the difficulty up for strategy games because i enjoy punishing difficulty in games like that. for action games though for my first play through i usually play them on the normal difficulty until i get a hang of the way combat works in the game. sometimes it takes me a whole play through or other times I up the difficulty after a couple of levels.
Dec 28, 2016 3:47 PM

May 2013
if a game is naturally difficult like dark souls then yes pls otherwise, normal difficulty, cuz i find increasing difficulty settings is just an artificial way to make the game harder instead of having difficulty being added in as an integral party of the game design.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Nintendo is suing Palworld

Dumb - Sep 18

22 by ArabianLuffy »»
9 hours ago

» Favorite Playstation era

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 14

30 by Kajiuran »»
10 hours ago

» Updating my pc

skapito - Sep 16

25 by BigBoyAdvance »»
10 hours ago

» What's the first website you ever visited? ( 1 2 )

TheBlockernator - Aug 6, 2023

68 by BigBoyAdvance »»
10 hours ago

» Is the idea that a game needs to respect your time a contradiction on the fundamental concept of video games

Reshiram_IX - Yesterday

9 by BigBoyAdvance »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.