Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 14, 2018 5:10 PM

May 2012
"well that sucked ass" those were my honest feelings at the end.

Don't get me wrong i don't mean the whole thing i was actually really enjoying it till then the Hotarus thoughts were really resonating with me i liked how she discovered that time was not the same for both of them and she discovered that time would someday tear them apart she growing older and the spirit remaining the same.

It would have been a pretty good bittersweet ending if Gin would have tricked her someway kissed her and they ended in the embrace now that would have been pretty great .... but no he helps some random kid and ends up dissapearing because of that, it makes the whole thing pretty pointless.

ohhhh i can hear all of you now "but why is it pointless it indeed in that beautiful showing of emotions" yep nope he was prepared to not see her again and she was the same she knew that he would not return again and just cuz of some random kid that didn't happen, he was scared to disappear and so he didn't try anything with Hotaru and she wanted him to keep on living so it's the same some random event changed all that, if any of the 2 characters had decided for a kiss/hug that would have been fine, not seeing each other again and the ending was just Hotaru reminiscing that would have been fine as well, random kid not at all .... way to drop the fucking ball

Truly, comparisons between fellow humans are what turn out to be the most infuriating.
Feb 14, 2018 5:31 PM

Jan 2017
I strongly liked this anime. It was very emotion-invoking, a mixed bag of extreme happiness and sadness almost simultaneously. My only wish was that it was for an hour and a half or two hours instead.

Feb 17, 2018 6:20 AM
Feb 2016
I felt like wait it'd end already?
Feb 18, 2018 4:16 PM

Jan 2018
went pretty much as I expected,too predictable and it was rushed. bittersweet (felt a bit too sweet the ending overall actually, couldn't feel the death of gin) and foreshadowed ALOT for such a short movie. relationship was also preeictable, i'd say the only good thing about this was the idea, the atmosphere, the visuals and the soundtrack. I'd say it's worth pretty much just as the average natsume yuujinchou episode but not more. I can't say it was bad though the characters were likeable atleast..
Mar 14, 2018 6:57 AM

Oct 2011
One of the saddest endings i've ever seen. Even though I knew it was going to happen.
I cried so much. D: I'm tearing up just thinking about it.
Apr 20, 2018 11:42 AM

Jan 2018
I FELT SO SAD, I ALMOST CRIED AND I'M PISSED HOW GIN DISAPPEAR JUST LIKE THAT. T________T
Apr 28, 2018 1:15 PM

Jul 2017
So I was like wait it's over already he just dies like this? Kinda dissapointing to be honest.. Could've been much better with more screen time so it could develop them better.
May 5, 2018 5:47 AM

Jul 2017
i would have this at 8 or 9 or even a 10 cause i loved it but the way he fucking dies at the end is kinda like a let down, which is why i have it as a 7.
May 5, 2018 5:57 AM

Jul 2015
Zerity said:
i would have this at 8 or 9 or even a 10 cause i loved it but the way he fucking dies at the end is kinda like a let down, which is why i have it as a 7.

then i guess you didnt understand his character at all.
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
May 5, 2018 6:19 AM

Jul 2017
@Galaxy__ explain
May 5, 2018 8:01 AM

Jul 2015

he thought it was finally time to "die". he said something like "this is the last time" or something. he didnt want to live this life anymore. like he was actually already dead and they both knew that. so he wasnt really sad when the time came he just smiled and they were both happy for the time they had which was granted for them by the gods of the forest. it wasnt a sad ending. it was a happy one.
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
May 5, 2018 8:21 AM

Jul 2017
@Galaxy__ na what im saying is he didnt know that kid was human but after he did accept it I guess but like the way he died was just so fucking lame.
May 5, 2018 8:57 AM

Jul 2015
Zerity said:
@Galaxy__ na what im saying is he didnt know that kid was human but after he did accept it I guess but like the way he died was just so fucking lame.

what would have been a better way ? touching her ? she would never let him done that and would be sad because of it her whole life.

it didnt really matter how it happened and was just a sweet homage to the story her granddad told her.
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
May 5, 2018 8:59 AM

Jul 2017
@Galaxy__ i understand I was just dissatisfied
May 16, 2018 7:58 AM

Feb 2018
if it is true love then any obstacles will be passed, the ending that is touching even I almost shed tears where the separation of Gin and Hotaru
Aug 23, 2018 8:21 AM
May 2017
The ending was predictable but it was also stupid because he died for a random kid. It would be better if he died only kissing the girl.
Aug 23, 2018 8:33 AM

Jul 2015
yew said:
The ending was predictable but it was also stupid because he died for a random kid. It would be better if he died only kissing the girl.

he didnt "die for" a random kid. he didnt "die". he was already kinda dead. he also didnt die for the kid. he wanted to leave the world for a long time. if he would have left by kissing hotaru she would have regretted it and hated herself forever. he would have never done that. you appereantly didnt get the meaning of the movie at all. kinda feel bad for you
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Sep 23, 2018 6:36 AM
Aug 2018
I am very upset with the end 😭😭😭😭I thought God will give him a proper body at the end so he can stay with Hotaru forever .😭😭😭😭😭 Past years I only chose comedy anime that was my 1st this year I don't regret because that movie was beautiful at the moment I'm Ball of sadness . Past 2 days I can't stop crying because of Gin . I love him so much and I want him to live forever and see him happy with Hotaru 😭😭😭😭😭😭❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤I love that movie I wish they could make 2nd edition.

Feb 7, 2019 5:11 AM

Dec 2018
I felt sad a little bit but the ending is unsatisfying so I couldn't give it much more than 7/10 I'm totally disappointed I think I expected too much about this movie.
yuragiruriaFeb 7, 2019 5:43 AM
Feb 7, 2019 11:22 PM
Dec 2018
The death flag on him was clear as day when he mentions that he dies from human touch, so I don't know how you guys are shocked by it. What surprises me was that his death wasn't more dramatic—I thought he was going to save her in some tragic way sacrificing himself, but no, accidentally grabs a kid and they have one final hug. I feel the same with some other posters that the ending wasn't as emotionally charged as say Wolf Children or Kimi No Nawa
Feb 8, 2019 8:13 AM

Jun 2014
It was a very good anime. The ending....kinda pissed me off because it just stopped. I felt no closure.
My love of anime is not an obsession. It's a need to have a content life.
Feb 8, 2019 8:15 AM
Apr 2016
Well, I didn't feel a thing honestly, but I did take over in some games as "Gin" from watching that anime movie. WHY I didn't feel a thing? Well, because it's a movie, it's short, you don't attach in any way to the characters, you're not connected to them.
Feb 25, 2019 9:50 AM

Dec 2018
I didn’t feel anything not even though about crying yet i had a really high expectation about this movie just to be let down. There were zero buildups because the ending was rushed af (probably because it’s a 42’ movie) so yeah I didn’t feel empathy for the characters at all

Also that’s like the worst ending you can have i mean there are dozens of other great options like how about they kiss then he disappeared?? I would be super ok with that but no you choose a bullshit ending that makes me feel 0 empathy for the characters, hell even the AMV ''Hotaru'' is more emotional than this whole movie.

But honestly if this movie is longer I'm sure they’ll write a better plot than this.
iLbcoVEFeb 25, 2019 8:22 PM

"O kawaii koto"
( ´• ᴗ •` )

I wish i could love myself~

Mar 1, 2019 12:55 PM

Dec 2016
I felt disapointed, they established the story for 90% of the movie then 5% fast ending "me touch kid me hug me die" then 5% ending weird music...
Wasn't exactly what i expecte
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Apr 16, 2019 7:43 AM

Oct 2013
"I`ll never ever forget those golden summer days. That summer which brought joy to my boring everyday life."
May 27, 2019 4:18 PM

Sep 2014
I felt nothing. There was another Japanese movie (not anime) that I actually cried at the ending though (similar no touching thing)

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
May 27, 2019 4:54 PM
Jul 2018
Bland emotionally neutered story. The character dynamics and plot were fine but just so basic throughout. It's not actually bad. Just one of the most average anime I've seen.
Jun 15, 2019 9:40 AM
Oct 2017
TBH I was kinda disappointed, my friends kinda hyped it up to be a completely emtional story(which it was), but the ending felt kinda bare, IDK but that's my take on the movie
Jun 15, 2019 10:08 AM

Jul 2016
I felt content. It was a good movie.
Oct 9, 2019 3:21 PM
Jul 2018
It made me sad but also at the same time... relieved. It was pretty obvious that it was getting too painful for Hotaru and Gin to keep being around each other and not be able to do something as simple as hold hands. Gin would have held Hotaru back from any normal relationship and he himself wasn't able to move on either. So, as depressing as it was him disappearing was for the best. Realistically was he even living anyway?
Oct 19, 2019 5:16 AM
Oct 2018
I didn't expect that kind of ending. I should have rated this 7/10 but I go with 8/10 instead because of that good ending
Nov 23, 2019 12:17 PM
Oct 2019
I watched it with my mother and I started crying in front of her lol. But basically I felt empty. Just like a great story should
Dec 7, 2019 8:20 AM

Oct 2013
I felt like "dammit, why that real human kid had to run near them?!" and later I felt kinda sad and happy. Sad because their adventure ended in such sudden and unexpected way, but happy because Gin and Hotaru could finally touch themselves.

BokuNoGyro said:
The death flag on him was clear as day when he mentions that he dies from human touch, so I don't know how you guys are shocked by it. What surprises me was that his death wasn't more dramatic—I thought he was going to save her in some tragic way sacrificing himself, but no, accidentally grabs a kid and they have one final hug. I feel the same with some other posters that the ending wasn't as emotionally charged as say Wolf Children or Kimi No Nawa

Aye, same went with me. Gin dying somehow was pretty much obvious. The question was: "when and how?". For me it was only "how?", 'cause I predicted (which was not that hard, lol) that Gin might evaporate somewhere near the end of the movie.

I thought he would die by trying to save the girl, but to me it was even more dramatic that he touched a human in a random situation. That was unexpected. No epic action, just one sudden gesture that led him to his own destruction. At least he died as a happy person, being finally able to hug Hotaru. I was kinda surprised she didn't cry a lot after he disappeared.

In terms of emotional impact in my case it was more emotional than "Kimi no na wa.", maybe because it was more like... hmm... simple and complex in its simpliness?
Dec 20, 2019 4:54 AM

Mar 2016
i just felt empty tbh... cute movie tho!

Dec 28, 2019 9:04 AM
Dec 2018
It was so sad and emotional that I cried
Jan 15, 2020 11:24 PM
Jan 2020
I hate that kid with everything I got
Jan 15, 2020 11:25 PM

Jul 2016
The ending twist felt really anticlimactic...basically it came out of nowhere.
Jan 19, 2020 11:44 AM

Jun 2019
Missaliensan said:

ooh I wouldn't agree.

I felt like they both knew their relationship could never progress. At the very end they managed to touch - a very honest physical need.
As he lived in and with the forest he had stopped seeing himself as human - and naturally the forest didn't understand what he wanted/needed. They were all so sad to see him leave but for him it was joyful occasion where his pent up woes were released all at once.

I cried like a fool
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 19, 2020 11:48 AM

Jul 2016
HappyPicnic said:
Missaliensan said:

ooh I wouldn't agree.

I felt like they both knew their relationship could never progress. At the very end they managed to touch - a very honest physical need.
As he lived in and with the forest he had stopped seeing himself as human - and naturally the forest didn't understand what he wanted/needed. They were all so sad to see him leave but for him it was joyful occasion where his pent up woes were released all at once.

I cried like a fool

I didn’t really like that they just tacked on that twist towards the end.I felt like it could have worked better if they showed it earlier in the film and dedicated more time to show the aftermath of how the girl dealt with that loss.Instead it feels rushed for such an important plot point.
Jan 19, 2020 11:51 AM

Jun 2019
Missaliensan said:
HappyPicnic said:

ooh I wouldn't agree.

I cried like a fool

I didn’t really like that they just tacked on that twist towards the end.I felt like it could have worked better if they showed it earlier in the film and dedicated more time to show the aftermath of how the girl dealt with that loss.Instead it feels rushed for such an important plot point.

yess I'd like if they had focused on the post-story a little more too. I'm so curious about her life after. How do you get over someone like that?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 25, 2020 11:27 AM
Apr 2020
*SPOILER ALERT*
It was quite sad,but it's best ending! At the end as you can see gin said that he did not expected the next summer, i feel like gin know that impossible he can be always with hotaru,so soon or later i knew that gin will touch hotaru and be free,there was scene hotaru talked about she wanted live at that place and looking for job at there and gin said "forget bout me" cause gin know more longer they together hotaru can't enjoy the human normal life,like when her classmate had crush in her but the only thing hotaru thinking just gin, it' make hotaru can't have normal live
FinoRusselApr 25, 2020 11:30 AM
May 13, 2020 9:16 AM

Aug 2018
I laughed that he died because of a random kid that came out of nowhere
edit: after a couple of minutes I feel a bit sad
Jun 15, 2020 10:16 AM

Aug 2018
honestly ive only cried during few anime maybe 10, and this was one of them. I dont know what it is about this movie but its so good and i cried for maybe an hour lol

Sep 10, 2020 10:25 PM

Jan 2019
I’m sobbing uncontrollably I don’t know why I keep doing this to myself
UnwantedLoliSep 10, 2020 10:33 PM
Sep 11, 2020 12:10 AM
Jun 2020
I hated the whole thing, not just the ending.
Sep 16, 2020 8:23 AM
Sep 2020
I was angry and distraught and happy and crying my eyes out at the same time. I hated it, I was so angry that Gin had to die over such a simple reason for one stupid kid, such a meaningless death. And yet there was so much joy in seeing Gin being able to embrace her for the first time and then the instant sadness of realising it was also the last time, my heart, please I can't take it. Realistically it was the best ending as they would never have a future together, my brain knows that, it's the best ending but why why does it have to be so sad. I'm gonna go back to my home and cry myself another river.
Oct 25, 2020 10:35 AM

Feb 2020
Dude.

Sad..

Just sad..
Nov 19, 2020 4:42 AM
May 2019
Galaxy__ said:
ive heard from different people that they were kinda sad or felt down after watching it. but i personally cant quite understand it because i actually was really happy at the end. so how did you feel and what were your thoughts after watching ?
I was quite dissapointed and had high hopes but it was only 40/50 minutes and it didnt even end that good, i always cry at sad scenes but this was not that special
Dec 7, 2020 3:12 PM
Dec 2020
Pain bro it hurt I wish he didn’t go.
Jan 6, 2021 1:03 PM
Jan 2021
telat banget gue baru nonton, ga terlalu sedih tapi okela
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hotarubi no Mori e Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Orulyon - Feb 22, 2012

432 by StateofOhayo »»
May 1, 7:23 PM

» Your thoughts?

WannabeWeeb_ - Aug 10, 2021

9 by Dawizz »»
Jan 4, 3:01 AM

» Why does the girl doesn’t look that upset?

Sincere_T_ - Jun 12, 2020

9 by Dawizz »»
Jan 4, 3:00 AM

» Any Anime which ends in 1 eps and in 45 mins (like thus one)

WVM - Nov 29, 2022

19 by yvonness »»
Nov 18, 2023 3:07 AM

» Any rumored/known reason why it hasn't been licensed in North America?

Lolicon - May 8, 2022

0 by Lolicon »»
May 8, 2022 10:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.