Forum Settings
Forums

Remove the "Cancel" button for forum posts

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 26, 2017 7:37 AM

Apr 2014
Clicking is better than pushing a button on keyboards.
What if your keyboard is malfunctioning? (then use on-screen keyboard)
And it's more favorable for users using mobile browsers.

@Mkim
How your post gets ruined by that button?
Your browser doesn't have undo function?
Use Gecko based browsers not the Google based one.
Haters always gonna hate.
Jun 26, 2017 7:53 AM

Jun 2016
I've been a victim of the 'Cancel' button; many times now. I already wrote a long-ass texts, then I accidentally clicked the Cancel button, and I can't undo it. Jeez. I hope we can undo it, though, or is it just me who can't do that?

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jun 26, 2017 7:55 AM
Jan 2013
Rayzer said:
It deletes what I wrote
No idea
No idea what that is
gone bai bai
Jun 26, 2017 8:02 AM

Apr 2014
Mkim said:
Rayzer said:
It deletes what I wrote
No idea
No idea what that is

Use Mozilla Firefox, because Google Chrome sucks.
Then try pressing Ctrl + Z or right click then undo option after clicking cancel button.
Jun 26, 2017 8:18 AM
Jan 2013
Rayzer said:
Mkim said:
It deletes what I wrote
No idea
No idea what that is

Use Mozilla Firefox, because Google Chrome sucks.
Then try pressing Ctrl + Z or right click then undo option after clicking cancel button.
oh that's a qt
Tho I don't really see changing browsers as a solution
For a individual yes, absolutely if they're willing to change it
But for the userbase on its entirety not really
Knowing that Firefox people don't have the problem is coo tho, I can see why there's less people salty about this than I thought it would
gone bai bai
Jun 26, 2017 8:27 AM

Apr 2014
@Mkim
Yeah, but I'm just saying Firefox is better. Since it got better stuffs than Chrome. And worst, Chrome uses multiple processes. (taskmanager)
And this is unlikely to happen (been suggested before) , though that warning would be a good one for those sticking on using shitty Chrome browser.
Similar Suggestions: https://myanimelist.net/forum/search?q=cancel+button&u=&uloc=1&loc=4 .... Use forum search OP!
Jun 26, 2017 8:29 AM
Jan 2013
Rayzer said:
@Mkim
Yeah, but I'm just saying Firefox is better. Since it got better stuffs than Chrome. And worst, Chrome uses multiple processes. (taskmanager)
And this is unlikely to happen (been suggested before) , though that warning would be a good one for those sticking on using shitty Chrome browser.
ye, the more I'm suggested changing browsers the more likely I'll do it on the future
for now I eat shit
gone bai bai
Jun 26, 2017 9:25 AM

Oct 2015
This is a troll topic right?

I mean a suggestion-poll about removing a function because someone accidentally clicks the button, then making the poll-question so that it is 180° opposite the topic title ?
I bet 50% or so of voters did not really know what exactly their vote went for or against.

Remove the "cancel" button!

Did you ever use the
  • no
  • yes

Yeah, right. sure.
--------------------------

in chromium Ctrl+Z refers to whatever was the last thing deleted, which is exactly the way it is meant to be, the way it is established since 1972. When I manually deleted sth. in the editor, then that gets restored.
So of course it does not work on "cancel", instead a Ctrl+Z after a "cancel" will restore what I deleted manually before.

Should Firefox handle this some other way - yeah, once again Firefox knowing better than the rest of the world. lol.
There's reasons to why Firefox is slowly disappearing - and it is not "Muh, Firefox better, hurr"

---------------------

And no the browser's "back" function does not replace "cancel", instead it gets me to the page before the one currently displayed. For things opened in a new tab, there then is not even a "back" to go to.
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jun 26, 2017 11:46 AM

Sep 2009
BannoBunka_snork said:
This is a troll topic right?

I mean a suggestion-poll about removing a function because someone accidentally clicks the button, then making the poll-question so that it is 180° opposite the topic title ?
I bet 50% or so of voters did not really know what exactly their vote went for or against.

Remove the "cancel" button!

Did you ever use the
  • no
  • yes

Yeah, right. sure.
--------------------------

in chromium Ctrl+Z refers to whatever was the last thing deleted, which is exactly the way it is meant to be, the way it is established since 1972. When I manually deleted sth. in the editor, then that gets restored.
So of course it does not work on "cancel", instead a Ctrl+Z after a "cancel" will restore what I deleted manually before.

Should Firefox handle this some other way - yeah, once again Firefox knowing better than the rest of the world. lol.
There's reasons to why Firefox is slowly disappearing - and it is not "Muh, Firefox better, hurr"

---------------------

And no the browser's "back" function does not replace "cancel", instead it gets me to the page before the one currently displayed. For things opened in a new tab, there then is not even a "back" to go to.

Backspace as in just deleting text. Obviously we also have an f5 button, if you want to use your browser.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 26, 2017 12:05 PM

Feb 2015
Lol... That only happens when you use quick reply or if you're quoting someone... I rarely get into that kind of stuff anyway so I wouldn't know.

I think what we need is a confirmation if you want to "cancel" it instead of just redirecting it...
Jun 26, 2017 12:16 PM

Oct 2015
MortalMelancholy said:

Backspace as in just deleting text.

Ah, ok.
I thought backspace when focus is outside editor field. (for me that's one page back in browser-tab history)

But really, please try to use congruent topic title and poll question next time ?
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jun 26, 2017 1:21 PM

Sep 2009
BannoBunka_snork said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Backspace as in just deleting text.

Ah, ok.
I thought backspace when focus is outside editor field. (for me that's one page back in browser-tab history)

But really, please try to use congruent topic title and poll question next time ?

The poll is to determine if people are actually using the button, as it doesn't actually seem useful in the first place.
Jun 26, 2017 1:22 PM

Jun 2011
Been the victim but also a beneficiary. Mostly benefits on the phone.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jun 26, 2017 1:23 PM

Sep 2009
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:

Oh right, I forgot phones are a thing. No keyboard shortcuts there.
Jun 26, 2017 1:26 PM

Jun 2011
MortalMelancholy said:
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:

Oh right, I forgot phones are a thing. No keyboard shortcuts there.

Yup.

Keyboard makes no sense. But phone it does.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jun 26, 2017 1:37 PM
Jul 2018
umm whoops i accidentally voted no and then read op post

its kinda handy especially for me cuz i use the desktop version from phone and cancel saves all my trouble instead of waiting for backspace
Jun 26, 2017 3:59 PM

Mar 2013
There's also an option to leave "Cancel" button, but add another "Undo" button next to it for all of those who accidentally delete their posts or they change their mind and decide to post it after they had already deleted what they wrote.
Patiently waiting for the best day of my life, the day when i die.
Jun 26, 2017 7:42 PM

Aug 2016
So far, I don't think I've ever clicked on it by accident. It is very helpful for me when I have written a response to a thread and decided against posting, so I can just click 'cancel' and then leave the page.
Jun 26, 2017 8:27 PM
Apr 2017
Maybe a confirmation would be better than getting rid of it. So instead of instantly deleting the post, you have to confirm it one more time.
"I'll leave tomorrow's problems to tomorrow's me"
Jun 27, 2017 7:05 AM

Oct 2014
MortalMelancholy said:
I figure the backspace button works well enough, while also letting you undo. I'm sure most users don't even use the button; favoring backspace instead, and that plenty of users have accidentally hit the button, deleting whatever time they put into that post (could bad for people who have very little time, type slow, and/or have poor memory)
This thing btw:
[-img-]http://i.imgur.com/fMxbLZB.png?1[-/img-]

You can easily restore content lost when clicking "Cancel" by using "CTRL+Z" (dunno if it's the same combination for QWERTY keyboards, since I have a QWERTZ keyboard). I just tested it on my firefox browser and it seems to work without any problems. However this method only works on normal posts. It fails when using "Quick Edit".

I don't know about how that works on tablet/phones though.
Grey-ZoneJun 27, 2017 7:09 AM
Jun 27, 2017 9:15 AM

May 2010
Wut, I've been here for 7 years and I've literally never clicked it @_@ But I don't use it anyway so don't care about it disappearing either.
Jul 4, 2017 2:58 AM

Mar 2010

So I was writing a reply and it ended up being a bit longer than I expected. When I finished writing it I went to click submit and oops, I accidentally clicked the cancel button. So everything I wrote got deleted without any confirmation and without an apparent way of getting it back.

Why do we need a cancel button in a quick reply form anyway? What purpose does it have? I'd understand if it closed the reply form or something, but from what I can see it's only a ctrl-a backspace shortcut, but the one that also clears your undo history.
At least move the thing to the right and keep the submit button on the left, or ask for a confirmation.
nullJul 4, 2017 3:01 AM

Jul 4, 2017 3:01 AM

Sep 2014
That's the fun and mystery of it, you never know if you'll click Submit or Cancel.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Jul 4, 2017 3:02 AM

Feb 2010
I support this since the same thing happened to me before as well and I never was in a situation where I actually needed that quick reply cancel. What OP says makes sense imo.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 4, 2017 3:02 AM

Jan 2009
lol agreed

its 2017 and MAL does not have the technology for it yet
Jul 4, 2017 3:22 AM
Apr 2013
null said:

At least move the thing to the right and keep the submit button on the left,

It's not easy as it sounds though. I tried it and this happens:

As you can see, the way they designed the layout, just moving the button involves changing three different things. In turn, those things might need even more changing on the upper levels. Such is CSS...

worldeditor11Jul 4, 2017 3:25 AM
Jul 6, 2017 12:53 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Duplicate threads merged
Jul 6, 2017 7:54 AM

Jul 2009
That never occurred to me, while im using pc that is, simply copy the whole text after finish writing, if something goes wrong nothing is lost that way.

Or so to say i dont mind the cancel button.

edit: to add this - unlike the desktop version on the mobile version of mal the cancel button have it's important function - it closes the quick reply box. So it's not an useless button! :D
yurkinJul 6, 2017 8:19 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Notification that you can't send user a message BEFORE you try to send it

ExTemplar - Jan 11, 2016

4 by Querez8504 »»
Today, 5:49 AM

» Do you guys want a dislike reaction for reviews or something like it?

emryuu - Jun 6

7 by Zarutaku »»
Today, 3:27 AM

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

19 by vlexz »»
Jun 7, 5:59 AM

» Prevent obscure Donghua from polluting the top rankings

Zarutaku - Jun 3

17 by zombie_pegasus »»
Jun 6, 5:37 AM

» Anime/Manga Tierlist

sprain - Jun 5

1 by Zarutaku »»
Jun 6, 5:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.