Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 9, 2014 3:30 AM

Oct 2013
RedRoseFring said:
Bon Clay. The strongest.
Didn't expect him to show up.

Jun 13, 2015 10:21 AM

Jun 2015
now bon clay, so many reunions
Apr 1, 2016 5:30 PM

May 2013
YAAAAASSSSS THE RETURN OF MY BELOVED BON CLAY SAMAAAAAA <333333

RENEWAL OF HIS LUFFY FRIENDSHIP :'D
Jul 26, 2016 10:41 PM

Mar 2015
Yay it's Bon Clay-sama!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 2, 2016 2:19 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Tomoe said:
I love Garp and how pissed off Sengoku gets=) and yay Bon chan=)

It's like Garp just does not care about anything, he is kind of a free spirit laughing all the time lol

Mar 4, 2019 1:15 AM

Jun 2016
This was an awesome episode as always. Impel down is such a blast. The craziness and flow of the adventure is so fun and it's filled with unique character dynamics and character moments. It's such a blast.

I'll start by speaking about the Garp scene. Firstly, I would get mad at the Enies Lobby and Celestial Dragon flashbacks but since those are literally two of the greatest moments in the anime I can't. I'd be happy seeing them every god darn episode. Secondly, I adore Garp. Both the fact that he's the "hero" of the navy while having some of the most fierce pirate and rebellious sons and grandsons he could possibly have, and the fact that he's more than okay with that. You can absolutely see Luffy in him, their personality comes with the blood. At this point I'm sure Dragon is a wacko too. Garp's okay with laughing at and accepting trouble especially if it's someone he loves doing it. He doesn't see Luffy as attacking him or his organization, but as doing the best he could possibly do and that overpowers the antagonizing nature that Luffy should have regarding Garp. Garp was able to laugh off everything with a smile on his face just like Luffy, that is, until Sengoku took his food and Garp immediately got serious. Where else have we seen that before? HA. I really love how Sengoku himself got some characterization when he scarfed down that bag of rice crackers just to spite Garp. The two know each other well that's for sure. Possibly my second favorite Garp scene whereas my favorite has to be his meeting with Ace.

The Starvation floor is exciting too. I've wanted them to have extreme weather problems again but we've had Drum Kingdom and Alabasta and such so them going to another desert for instance may be overkill, especially for someone as imaginative as Oda. Therefore, to force them to go through extreme weather conditions on a smaller scale that will only last for a few episodes is an awesome compromise. Further, the architecture of this place is, although cheesy, awesome as heck. The burning fourth floor makes the third floor a starvation heat den and the bones burning away turn into sand. Kakkoii...

Then we had all the amazing trio moments of course. Moments like "there's some cells over there...", "so what, it's a prison". Or how the two couldn't take how calm Luffy was as he happily chomped on the bird or said "wow, we went in a circle". Or the amazing joke where Buggy and Mr.3 tried to leave Luffy behind while mocking him and Luffy was hella pure in his response of both immediate acceptance and gratitude, "HOW SWEET!".

However, my favorite moment was when they found those awful cells full of half dead prisoners who couldn't even bat an eye at the pirates by their cells. Unlike the others who begged them to let them free, these ones couldn't even do that. Luffy sees these half dead men, skeletons, and even one hung up on a cross. He casually looks around while chomping on that bird observing his surroundings while Buggy and Mr.3 are in absolute shock and panic. Then he turns to them slightly annoyed that they're wasting so much time here and says "let's get going already" as if he's completely ignorant to the horrible situation they're in. This isn't saving Ace so why are they hung up on it! But, more than just being hysterical, as it always is with Luffy it was also inspirational. I'd put money on Luffy's thought process as, "why worry, all we have to do is find the stairs so let's find them. If we start going we'll get there somehow". It's a reason why he never does worry, he just continues moving forward while having all the fun he can. And it's a crux of most of the humor in this arc as the other two cannot believe what they're seeing.

Another crux of the humor for me personally is how Mr. 3 and Buggy don't have any idea who each other are but they get along like brothers due to how both are self interested assholes. That said, Bon Clay is keeping the morale up in his cell with an Okama song and dance. He's quite the happy and excited guy all the time too and it seems he's making the best out of his situation. Where the other cells have prisoners who don't even open their eyes, Bon Clay's cell is full of dancers. That's impressive and more importantly, Bon Clay went out protecting the Straw Hats, if you recall. He's a guy who acts with his heart firstly and he held the Straw Hats highly. With that being the case he may be the first companion to want to actually go to the 5th floor to save Ace for Luffy's sake. Regardless, it should be an awesome change to the dynamic of selfish idiots getting dragged along by a happy, stubborn idiot! If I'm right it will even mimic the Luffy/Usopp dynamic with all the fun they'll have(if they do all meet up again that is)!

Even if the Sphinx didn't wake up I feel like Luffy would have gnawed his way out of the iron bars, he did it in Moria's place after all with those rubber teeth of his not shattering. Aahahahaah. It is surprising that this is the first sea prism stone tactic deployed against them seeing that Impel Down should have lots of them if they want to stop a prison break from commencing but it does seem like their defenses are to stop people from coming in and not about stopping a break in once someone does get it, plus people like Mr.3 and Buggy wouldn't get out on their own and we can assume the real dangerous power users are so tortured they can't get out on their own either. Luffy seems to have abused a hole in the system!

Lastly, I was wondering if Luffy's group would meet up with Hancock and if so Mr. 3 could make a wax key to free her. However, it hit me that she could also charm the people with her and tell them to uncuff her so that shouldn't even be necessary if push comes to shove. So, things suddenly don't seem so bad.
Aug 18, 2020 4:08 AM

May 2016
That segment with Garp being pretty damn proud of his grandson was very amusing and Luffy fighting off those guards and Blugoris when he got surrounded before the sphynx butted in for the second time looked really cool.

I certainly do not want to end up in Starvation Hell. It's arguably worse than the Crimson Forest and it's definitely worse than those Hell Beasts but having Bon Clay as company might be worth it lmao

Aug 21, 2020 9:05 AM

May 2020
No way Bon Clay is making an appearance again!! He'd definitely help out Luffy!!
Sep 22, 2020 7:32 AM

Dec 2007
here's a guy i didn't missed much.

from the look of the preview we are getting closer to the climax of the arc.
May 28, 2021 4:48 AM

Jun 2019
Bon Clay is back....
Jun 19, 2022 1:58 PM

Jan 2021
Ayyyyyyy it’s Bon clay it’s good to see him he’s probably in prison because he sacrificed himself so the crew could escape for the sake of their friendship
Aug 27, 2022 8:26 PM

Apr 2018
Bonnnnn Clayyyyyy
Dec 30, 2022 8:56 AM
Mar 2021
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong
Feb 2, 2023 6:35 AM
Feb 2022
Siento que Buggy y Mr 3 no van a abandonar a Luffy aunque quieran. El próximo capitulo vuelve el personaje mas esperado.
Mar 12, 2023 6:43 PM
Jun 2022
bon clay da goattt
Jun 11, 2023 11:59 PM
Oct 2019
Bon Clay-chan is here too 🤣
That kiss at the end LMAO
Nov 10, 2023 11:23 PM

Mar 2017
Garp’s laugh is brilliant xD

Uh oh things are about to get weird with Bon Clay Sama lol
Dec 11, 2023 11:29 PM

May 2019
Bon Clay-Samaaaaaa!! <3
Jan 26, 10:42 AM

Oct 2019
Ahhh we're meeting so many characters from past adventures!!
Apr 29, 11:07 PM

Dec 2022
HE'S ONTO PASTA NOW!
oh baby it's time for the Rocky Horror arc ^_^
May 22, 1:35 PM

Jun 2017
thought bon clay was sent to the afterworld
Jul 15, 12:34 PM

Jun 2024
Bon clay is back! He seems to have made some friends in prison as well.
I wonder how many old villains we'll see in impel down, since we saw crocodile as well. Maybe all of baroque works got sent to prison
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 200 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ranivus - Oct 9, 2008

61 by Titanfan93 »»
1 hour ago

» The most attractive person in the show? ( 1 2 )

tommygunn34 - Sep 17

82 by LaFlame77 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1118 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Sep 7

62 by Astrollyth »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 689 Discussion ( 1 2 )

-Irene - Apr 18, 2015

55 by Kuramaki »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 404 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

SlaughterChichi - Jun 7, 2009

130 by KoniginElle »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.