Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »
Dec 22, 2013 8:54 AM

Dec 2009
Elfen Lied's dub was pretty meh. I didn't think EVERY character was bad, though--just a handful that made it seem that way. Namely the female cousin.
Dec 22, 2013 8:52 PM

Jul 2012
The only dub I think is horrendous is Higurashi's. That is why I read the manga for it. Sort of agreeing with the posts above me, Elfen Lied's had some moments too that kind of made me embarrassed to watch lol.
Jan 1, 2014 5:06 PM

Nov 2008
Every ones in a while I run into a dub that sounds so bad I'm thinking it must be a fan dub. but how to tell? I've been looking for Nyan Koi! just came out dub on blu-ray/dvd. but online all the dubs I can find have been up for quite a while and sound awful. Does anyone know if that's because they are indeed fan dubsand not the sentai release?
Jan 28, 2014 9:04 PM

Mar 2012
CRXTHRASHER said:
Every ones in a while I run into a dub that sounds so bad I'm thinking it must be a fan dub. but how to tell? I've been looking for Nyan Koi! just came out dub on blu-ray/dvd. but online all the dubs I can find have been up for quite a while and sound awful. Does anyone know if that's because they are indeed fan dubsand not the sentai release?
I looked it up just for this. It was probably the real thing because my God it was awful. Most Sentai dubs are like that.
Jan 29, 2014 10:42 AM

Dec 2009
I think the only ones that have been so incredibly bad in terms of acting that I've thought "is this a fan dub?" were the non-FUNimation dub of the first Yu Yu Hakusho movie and the first-couple-episode dub of Urusei Yatsura.
Mar 11, 2014 12:04 PM

Mar 2014
Our only memorable hated dub is GreenGreen, probably the only show we stopped watching on purpose because of it. We can deal with one char or even a few, but everything about that was just stale cheeseballs.

4kids dub of One Piece, ESPECIALLY IN CAPS Sanji...oh my: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z45jE79ExZo

We have a love-hate-hate with Greg Ayres's "whiny boy voice" that he often uses that you can spot from a mile away. On Negima it was about...a 70% miss for us, although ofc it fit the character it was just, meh....But then again the same voice minus the British infection for Tomoki Sakurai in Heaven's Lost Property and we're ok with it.
"Your only option is to marry him...after all, he did see your panties" - Matsukaze
Mar 23, 2014 10:53 AM

Jul 2010
I tried to watch the British English dub of Moomins...and I just didn't like it. Snufkin's voice was high pitched and gruff sometimes, Sniff sounded like a badly voiced Digimon, Moominpappa's voice is too high, Snork sounds like a fat dude, Floren's voice is too low and echo-y, and Little My sounds like a snotty high school drug addict! The only voices that were good were Moominmamma, Mr. Hemulen, and Moomin himself, but the latter's acting is still a little stiff, like his actress is trying too hard to sound like Calumon from Digimon Tamers or Chirin from Ringing Bell.
Mar 24, 2014 8:41 AM
Mar 2014
Inu x Boku SS. It sounded so wrong, the girl's voice was really bad. She sounded like that bitchy Highschool cheerleader who never graduated in your Highschool. No Joke. Subbed was so much better :)
PMyTe
Apr 6, 2014 1:58 PM

Oct 2013
I can stand 4kids dubs
I liked When they cry dubbed
I adore some of sentai's "weaker" works

But i seriously can't stand either of the Akira dubs, be it the 80s one or the more newer one from the 2000s
Those dubs are the only ones I could sound like a weeabo on how much I disliked them.
Apr 6, 2014 3:28 PM

Dec 2009
I've never heard the first Akira dub, but what was wrong with the second? Sounded like any other anime dub of reasonable quality to me.
Apr 6, 2014 5:55 PM
Jan 2008
XTApocalypse said:
I've never heard the first Akira dub, but what was wrong with the second? Sounded like any other anime dub of reasonable quality to me.

As far as I know, the only reason how ANYONE can dislike the second dub of "Akira" is either if they are too strongly attached to the original Japanese version OR the older dub (which, by the way, is TERRIBLE. You didn't miss much by not viewing it). It seems to boil down to which one they saw first that they find another version jarring.

Otherwise, I couldn't find any major fault with the 2001 dub of "Akira". Aside from a few less than perfect lip syncs and one or two negligible secondary voices, the newer dub is absolutely fine. The only reason is isn't is because older dub fans say so, which isn't a very logical reason to me.
Apr 8, 2014 6:41 AM

Mar 2014
Highschool of the Dead: After a long search I've been able to confirm that the original script was severely altered, which is why I stay away from Steven Foster shows and I'm always skeptical whenever Sentai Filmworks licenses anything, I'd rather have them do more outsourcing (Examples: Persona 4 The Animation).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2014 9:21 AM

Dec 2009
High School of the Dead is what we call a "gag dub." It was intentionally altered, like Shin Chan. That alone doesn't necessarily make it a bad dub--there are plenty of people who prefer the English version because the Japanese tried to take itself too seriously in a setting that was just too ridiculous to be taken seriously.
Apr 8, 2014 9:26 AM

Sep 2010
^ I actually enjoyed HotD a lot more in English.

I'm fairly tolerant with dubs but I'm watching K-ON!! at the moment in English and it kind of detracts the cute factor from the show. Definitely prefer the Japanese for this one.
Spring 2014: NANANA WINS ALL.
Check out my blog :) http://castlebell.blogspot.com/
Apr 8, 2014 11:10 AM

Mar 2014
XTApocalypse said:
High School of the Dead is what we call a "gag dub." It was intentionally altered, like Shin Chan. That alone doesn't necessarily make it a bad dub--there are plenty of people who prefer the English version because the Japanese tried to take itself too seriously in a setting that was just too ridiculous to be taken seriously.

It doesn't matter, Steven Foster will never equal ADR Directors like Mary E. McGlynn and/or Kevin Seymour.
SwatKat1990Jun 2, 2014 7:13 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 11, 2014 2:39 AM

Jul 2013
Haganai's dub sounded pretty weak IMO. I can't stand it every time Rika talks. Talking in the third person sounded so freakin' weird in English.

And K-On!. I don't like it when the dub includes honorifics in the script.

Whitemanhattan said:
Elfen Lied!

The only good voices in that were Bando & Lucy (Lucy not Nyu)
Every time any other character talked it was just so horrible!

Yuka's dub *Shivers*
But....Mariko was pretty good too. D:
Apr 14, 2014 7:13 PM

Jun 2013
FstSergeant8595 said:
The only dub I think is horrendous is Higurashi's. That is why I read the manga for it. Sort of agreeing with the posts above me, Elfen Lied's had some moments too that kind of made me embarrassed to watch lol.
Higurashi was actually pretty good in English. I mean honestly, it wasn't that bad. Of course it wasn't that good, but I mean it didn't bother me.
Apr 16, 2014 8:16 AM

Oct 2013
Akira is the only anime I would not watch English dub (first watched the Spanish dub which is the one I prefer)

Other than that... Well I like almost every dub, but I notice that some of funimations latest works, (psycho pass and robotics;notes) are a little weak compare to like the dub of guilty crown they made and darker than black. But I have good hope for the aot dub judging by the teaser videos.
Apr 20, 2014 11:04 AM

Apr 2014
anything done by 4kids
Apr 20, 2014 11:21 AM

Mar 2014
hungergamer012 said:
anything done by 4kids

Well that's no surprise to me.
Apr 21, 2014 9:02 AM

Dec 2009
Recently re-watched the first episode of Rozen Maiden. The dub is pretty sub-par.
Apr 22, 2014 9:14 PM

Mar 2012
I wanted to watch Rozen Maiden subbed for Miyuki Sawashiro so that's a good sign
Apr 23, 2014 2:34 AM

Nov 2009
Agreeing that the Elfen Lied dub could have been better. Worsts for me were Love Hina and Hellsing (besides Alucard).
Apr 24, 2014 6:36 AM

Oct 2013
I just saw mushi-shi and tried both the sub and dub and tbh i kinda liked the sub for this one better.
Still only 2 anime that i prefer subbed and rest dubbed so no, i don't think I'm switching heh.
Apr 25, 2014 5:10 PM
Oct 2013
Ayanami17 said:
Agreeing that the Elfen Lied dub could have been better. Worsts for me were Love Hina and Hellsing (besides Alucard).

Elfen Lied, being an ADV dub (this is something that happens to Houston-recorded dubs in general), had room for improvement for its dub. Love Hina I definitely agree, but Hellsing? How could you NOT like one of the best dubs ever made?
Apr 25, 2014 9:48 PM

Nov 2009
I didn't like Seras Victoria's accent. I thought it was too strong. Anyone with me here? Anyone? :3
Apr 26, 2014 9:12 AM

Dec 2009
Ayanami17 said:
I didn't like Seras Victoria's accent. I thought it was too strong. Anyone with me here? Anyone? :3

That's the primary complaint I hear on the rare occasion someone dislikes the Hellsing dub, and it's usually accompanied by the opinion that Gray's accent sounds fake, but...

Have you ever heard a born-and-raised British person, who lives in Britain, where the series takes place? That's exactly what they sound like. It's not as if she's a scouser--that would be pretty annoying.

(This is directed at no one in particular, not towards you, Aya)
Apr 26, 2014 11:32 PM

Nov 2009
Nope I haven't. I guess it falls into the category of I'm not used to, or rarely ever, hear a British accent . I'm planning on re-watching Hellsing since it has been a long time since I finished it so maybe my view will change ;)
Apr 27, 2014 11:46 PM
Mar 2014
Girls und Panzer, from Sentai. The initial voices seem somewhat off, and they even cut out one special musical number in it. One of the uncommon occasions I'll opt for subbed over dubbed.
Apr 28, 2014 8:57 AM

Dec 2009
JasonSlater said:
Girls und Panzer, from Sentai. The initial voices seem somewhat off, and they even cut out one special musical number in it. One of the uncommon occasions I'll opt for subbed over dubbed.

Is it the one with the tanks? Because I've been told there was some licensing issue with that song and it had to be replaced in both the subbed and dubbed audio versions over here, meaning it's only present in fansubs.
Apr 28, 2014 1:44 PM
Mar 2014
XTApocalypse said:
JasonSlater said:

Is it the one with the tanks? Because I've been told there was some licensing issue with that song and it had to be replaced in both the subbed and dubbed audio versions over here, meaning it's only present in fansubs.

Yeah, but I haven't really made it up to the episode featuring it yet, but this says otherwise.
Apr 28, 2014 2:20 PM

Dec 2009
How does that say otherwise? It's probably a clip from a fansub.
Apr 29, 2014 3:30 AM

Mar 2012
I own the BD and the Japanese track has that same issue. Although as much as I want to blame Sentai apparently the track was chosen by the Japanese licencors.

On Bandai's K-ON Blu-rays 'Tsubasa wa Kudasai' had to be replaced with another song. Probably has something to do with why the 5th Anniversary Blu-ray has English subtitles but no dub.
May 11, 2014 7:46 AM

Jul 2013
Little Busters!. Explanation why I disliked it can be found here.
May 20, 2014 2:34 PM
Mar 2013
I remember firing up a dubbed episode of Buso Renkin out of curiousity...it was absolute garbage. Tokiko sounded like a 40 year old woman. Kazuki sounded like a nerd. Mahiro tried too hard to sound like her Japanese counterpart. Everyone else just sounded bland.
May 22, 2014 4:25 AM

Oct 2013
4kids dubs get a lot of hate, unsurprisingly, but you guys saying "all" 4kids dubs... c'mon guys, we all know the Yu-Gi-Oh! dub is timeless. "You don't stand a ghost of a chance!"

As for the topic, I can't think of any anime where the entire dub has been awful. I have noticed, however, that in anime dubbed in the 90s and maybe early 2000s, a larger number of voice actors seemed more... incompetent. Like, I just watched Outlaw Star, and a few of the voice actors sounded much more stale than in an anime like Clannad. This is also something I noticed watching older episodes of DBZ; I'm currently watching Rurouni Kenshin and notice it a bit too. Not really sure why that's the case.

Oh, and I didn't really like the Chrono Crusade dub. Greg Ayres is a fine voice actor (although I get tired of hearing him because he's frichen everywhere), and so is Hilary Haag, but they just didn't fit the voices for Chrono or Rosette at all. Especially Greg.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
May 22, 2014 5:39 AM

Dec 2009
chthonianghost said:
4kids dubs get a lot of hate, unsurprisingly, but you guys saying "all" 4kids dubs... c'mon guys, we all know the Yu-Gi-Oh! dub is timeless. "You don't stand a ghost of a chance!"

As for the topic, I can't think of any anime where the entire dub has been awful. I have noticed, however, that in anime dubbed in the 90s and maybe early 2000s, a larger number of voice actors seemed more... incompetent. Like, I just watched Outlaw Star, and a few of the voice actors sounded much more stale than in an anime like Clannad. This is also something I noticed watching older episodes of DBZ; I'm currently watching Rurouni Kenshin and notice it a bit too. Not really sure why that's the case.

A lot of 4Kids dubs are certainly nostalgic, but that doesn't really change the quality of the dubs. Though in my case the issue is more with the editing than with poor voice acting. Give me a faithful 4Kids dub (there were a handful of attempts made) and I'm not too nitpicky. Dan Green in particular has a great voice. Still, in terms of acting... they're generally pretty subpar. Not Animax or hentai bad, but you get the idea.

As for earlier dubs, you might be surprised to realize how much impact the directing has on the production. You can get two series with almost identical casts of actors with totally different qualities of dubs due to having two different directors (which happens more often than you'd think). It's true that actor inexperience and development enters the equation--I really don't think Vash the Stampede, as Bosch's first role, holds up at all to his later ones--but I think it's more a matter of the evolution of the industry over time. Directors have since stepped up their game and taken productions more seriously.
May 22, 2014 6:24 AM

Mar 2014
chthonianghost said:

Oh, and I didn't really like the Chrono Crusade dub. Greg Ayres is a fine voice actor (although I get tired of hearing him because he's frichen everywhere), and so is Hilary Haag, but they just didn't fit the voices for Chrono or Rosette at all. Especially Greg.

1.It's because 4Kids dubs are heavily edited and take numerous liberties with the original script, just like Dic and Saban. 4Kids hires talented VAs and directs them to deliver terrible punch lines. But like Dic and Saban, 4Kids is dead and buried so there's no need to worry about them.

2.I never was too crazy about Greg Ayres, but Hilary Haag does have some rather fantastic performances such as Nene Romanova from BGC Tokyo 2040, Teletha Testarossa from Full Metal Panic, and Anna Aoi from Godannar.
SwatKat1990May 22, 2014 6:45 AM
May 23, 2014 12:01 PM

Oct 2013
Checked out the hellsing dub, probably the only person outside of weeabos that prefiers the sub.
May 23, 2014 5:14 PM

Dec 2009
GEO9875 said:
Checked out the hellsing dub, probably the only person outside of weeabos that prefiers the sub.

Why is that?
May 29, 2014 1:19 PM

Apr 2014
SwatKat1990 said:
hungergamer012 said:
anything done by 4kids

Well that's no surprise to me.

LOL
May 29, 2014 6:17 PM

Jan 2014
Haganai's dub. It's just average. The only reason to watch its dub is Whitney Rodgers Yozora. It looked like she was giving her all in the role and it also sounded like she enjoyed it too. The rest of the cast just sounds half-assed or annoying.

Maria can get grating on the ears sometimes, Kobato's doesn't sound that cute, Rika can kinda get annoying talking in third person and Yukimura is just so bland. But the worst voice in the dub is hands down Jerry Jewell as Kodaka. He sounds lame as Kodaka. The role could of been given to a younger and new VA like Clifford Chapin.
Jun 10, 2014 1:45 PM

Mar 2014
Highschool of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the dead- It's basically second verse same as the first.
Jun 11, 2014 4:38 PM

Oct 2013
XTApocalypse said:
GEO9875 said:

Why is that?
To be honest, i like Crispin Freeman but his voice as alucard sounds monotome to me, like a very forced vampire voice, while i think that Jouji Nakata performance sounded much more menacing and diabolical, but maybe thats just me. I do like the other character voices though, but is just that Alucard english voice just doesnt do it for me.
Jun 11, 2014 5:44 PM

Dec 2009
GEO9875 said:
XTApocalypse said:

Why is that?
To be honest, i like Crispin Freeman but his voice as alucard sounds monotome to me, like a very forced vampire voice, while i think that Jouji Nakata performance sounded much more menacing and diabolical, but maybe thats just me. I do like the other character voices though, but is just that Alucard english voice just doesnt do it for me.

Freeman is more theatrical than menacing. I would say the same about Alucard, myself. Thus, I think he suits him pretty well.
Jun 14, 2014 1:25 AM

Oct 2013
XTApocalypse said:
A lot of 4Kids dubs are certainly nostalgic, but that doesn't really change the quality of the dubs. Though in my case the issue is more with the editing than with poor voice acting. Give me a faithful 4Kids dub (there were a handful of attempts made) and I'm not too nitpicky. Dan Green in particular has a great voice. Still, in terms of acting... they're generally pretty subpar. Not Animax or hentai bad, but you get the idea.

SwatKat1990 said:
1.It's because 4Kids dubs are heavily edited and take numerous liberties with the original script, just like Dic and Saban. 4Kids hires talented VAs and directs them to deliver terrible punch lines. But like Dic and Saban, 4Kids is dead and buried so there's no need to worry about them.

I personally believe the only reason 4kids dubs were bad is because of the editing; it has nothing to do with the competency of the voice actors. Most the voice actors were pretty solid. In terms of voice acting, I loved the One Piece dub. It was the editing that made it unwatchable.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jul 14, 2014 2:43 PM
Mar 2014
Inu x Boku SS, that is painful to listen to x.x
PMyTe
Jul 24, 2014 5:08 AM

Aug 2009
Agent Aika.I enjoyed the anime.Not the voice acting. The voices for the supporting characters were sub par.Like the studio just grabbed some schmucks off the street and had them do their impression of crappy children's 80s educational cartoon characters.Especially the characters Gust Turbulence and Michikusa Shuntaro.Where the voice actors who did their voices someone's brother or cousin who needed a job? Where they bums grabbed off the street?
ezikialrageJul 24, 2014 2:51 PM
Jul 26, 2014 5:16 PM
Jan 2008
I love the Ghibli-Disney dubs in general; I really do. Having said that I was sourly and bitterly disappointed with the recently released The Wind Rises. I think my biggest problem is with Joseph Gordon-Levitt's performance as Jiro. He sounds too stiff and robotic, even for a character who's supposed to be soft-spoken.. I understand that the intent may have been to mimic the style of the original Japanese voice actor, but I don't consider that a particularly organic approach to begin with. It's just a carbon copy, not a genuine performance. Ironically, the original voice for Jiro was Miyazaki's former protege, Hideaki Anno. His performance wasn't that well received either, so...

Emily is mostly very good as Nahoko, but having said that I didn't feel any genuine chemistry between her or JGL, which unfortunately nullifies the love story. When one actor is doing great and another is not, then there's something wrong with the chemistry.

The Wind Rises is not a BAD dub, not by any means. Disney has never made an outright bad dub; I just found this to be lacking compared to their other efforts. That said, the dub DOES have its assets: Mae Whitman is TERRIFIC as Jiro's spritely sister, as is Martin Short as Jiro's cantankerous boss, and Stanley Tucci is a very charismatic, genuinely charming Caproni. All three are fantastic and give the best performances in the whole show. Werner Hertzog and the guy who plays Jiro's best friend are solid as well. I also liked the use of accents; they bring a lot of added nationality to a story like this, and the use of children for the earlier scenes is commendable as well.

There were other quibbles I had with the dub other than the portrayal of the lead actor. The lip sync is iffy; sometimes the words work well, other times there are gaping mouths. I think the previous Disney dubs did a far better job on that department. I also found myself wondering what Elijah Wood, Jennifer Grey, and Darren Crisis were doing in the dub because I honestly didn't remember ANY of their performances in the dub. They were so negligible that I didn't even know who they were. Any other traditional voice actor would have sufficed. Mandy Patinkin as the second of Jiro's bosses was another bit of a let-down for me. He was terrific as one of the sky pirates in Castle in the Sky, but he simply isn't fun or memorable here. More or less I guess he DOES fit the character, but it still disappointed me.

To me, The Wind Rises is the worst of the Disney-Ghibli dubs. But that by no means does it imply that it's unwatchable. On the contrary. You might appreciate it a lot more than I did. I just didn't enjoy this one.
JTurnerJul 26, 2014 6:57 PM
Jul 30, 2014 10:14 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »

More topics from this board

» What is a dub song from a children’s anime dub that you love the most?

funtime43_tr - Mar 9

0 by funtime43_tr »»
Mar 9, 9:42 AM

» Why do you like English dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

coolcat - Apr 27, 2010

325 by Edawg0066 »»
Jan 1, 10:57 PM

» English dub fan, what do you think of these Japanese dubs of American cartoons?

mdo7 - Aug 31, 2020

2 by mdo7 »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:43 PM

» What are your Top 5-10 Favorite English Dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KidRyan - Mar 14, 2009

261 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Oct 13, 2023 1:55 AM

» In Defense of 4kids/New York voice actors.

funtime43_tr - Oct 25, 2022

1 by SwatKat1990 »»
Jan 18, 2023 5:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.