Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Mar 22, 2011 9:57 PM

Dec 2010
cleo said:

But compare Homu's 1st time meeting Madoka at school with the same scene in ep 1.
In Homu's initial timeline, Madoka goes to meet her, is being friendly etc.
In ep 1 she hides behind Sayaka the moment Homura looks at her. Maybe it's a side-effect from that dream, but she's a lot more timid, and she hasn't seen a real witch yet at that time.

She was probably scared from seeing the girl in her dream arriving. Hell, who wouldn't be, it's creepy.

Well, she was still timid in the previous lines (her modesty when talking about her abilities at Mami's in T1), just a lot more determined.
I think that determination is recent. When she meets Homura for the first times, she's already been a Puella for a week. Maybe fighting alongside Mami during that week, knowing she was helping the world at the risk of her own life, brought that determination up. Without that experience, it'd be natural she kept her timid character.

cleo said:

While I do think that her wish has an impact of her abilities, I've been wondering about the potential QB sees in her for a long time. Especially as she doesn't appear to be all that special in Homu's initial timeline (and it's a pity QB doesn't say anything about her potential in that part). QB himself in the series' timeline can't answer the question why she is so special, but it seems like it's something that grows along the way. I don't think her will to protect others wavers, so that's not it.
Less confidence, more potential?

Hmm. We don't know if QB can answer: no one asked him why was Madoka special, either. That leaves the question whether he has any ability to transfer some knowledge between his several selfs in each timeline (only some, since there a lot of events he cannot predict in the current time, mainly Homura, before ep 8).
I think it was discussed before, but I am not sure. Are Homura's timelines just "simple" time travelling (the moment we call time travelling "simple", we know this anime is deep :P ), or happening in parallel dimensions. After all, for all purposes (except for Homura's), they all happen between March 16th and... whenever Walpurgis arrives.
If the second is the case, then the theory of Multiverse would apply: multiple dimensions parallel to each other in time and space. In that case, with QB's technology, it might have been possible to have limited communication between them.

Argh, this is getting too hard.I think Shaft really screwed us up in tis one, I feel we're on a dead end here :P

cleo said:
Well maybe if QB has higher-ups.
Someone (forgot by who, sorry) commented after seeing ep 8 about the relationshipo between entropy and time-travel.
If I understand correctly, increase of entropy makes time move forward, so continuous going back in time would decrease entropy (correct me if I'm wrong, physics isn't my field). The cold-hearted nature of that plan would fit nicely, but yeah, it would have taken effort to set it up.

That is absolutely correct (if I didn't forget my Thermodynamics II class from the last semester). Though QB probably wouldn't need superiors to make him realize just how great that opportunity was.

cleo said:

1. Homura not only made her wish to protect Madoka, she also made the promise to safe her from QB's trickery. When she lectured Madoka about Sayaka not being her (Madoka's) responsibility, I think it implied that Homura thinks she herself has the responibility to safe Madoka from contracting. Ofcourse the situation in the series timeline has changed: Madoka is aware of the implications, so if she contracts now, she won't be 'tricked' by QB. If Madoka learns the complete story from Homura, she can release Homura from that promise.
2. Homura spent I don't know how many timeloops trying to protect Madoka from death/turning witch. It would be completely out of character for her to suddenly change her mind, especially as we've seen how determined she becomes in those later timelines.
3. Not very outstanding, but there's this thing about gaining happiness when a wish is granted (and than it's time to die). I can't see that happening when if she relaxes her wish.
Also: protect her feelings/purity - by telling her what a harh worl it is?,
or their friendship - what friendship? It's clear she stepped away from being friends along the way.
4. Can she do it? I don't think so, because QB reads minds before contracting and 'grants' that wish. It's very unlikely she can change it along the way.

1- I just started thinking this. If it happens, what reason does Homura have to live anymore.

And yes, she is taking Madoka's protection as her responsibility, and only one.
And by inciting her to stop protecting Sayaka, she's basically leaving Sayaka helpless and with no emotional support. And she knows very well what will happen to Sayaka in that case.
Damnit. I simply hate Homura when she pulls those stunts, to expend and let die everyone around her for Madoka's sake. I don't think there ever was a character I both loved and hated this much.

2- True. Unless she goes ep 8-ish, multiplied by a thousand.

3- I don't think so. It is friendship, it was always friendship (or a bit more than that, if you want to get into another discussion :3). She has and still considers Madoka to be her "only friend". That will never change. If it does, however, there's no telling how it would end.
Anything from turning into a witch to Homeran's Ball Is Out Of The Park end.

4- Agreed.

cleo said:
We've seen her use her pc to gain information. She could've done several loops just to gain info, steal books (once she knows where to find them, it's a piece of cake in the next loops). Maybe she questioned QB at the end of some loops. Once he's got his quota, why wouldn't he tell her how the system works?

Well, I don't think she could have just googled "Walpurgisnacht" and come up with something. It would be great for us, though xD
Nah, seriously. I don't think so. After all, just how much information on Walpurgis and other magical stuff can she find in common human books and internet pages?
At most, she could gather police reports that matched witch attacks (is she a hacker now, too?), or reports from amateur occultism clubs. Not nearly enough, though.
Especially when it comes to QB's real name and FORM.

Also, I don't think he's tell her.
Telling an adversary everything before he dies, or in an occasion where it does not matter, takes pity and pride, neither of which he has. He he cold, calculist and emotionless: even if there was the slightest chance she could do something with that information, he would not tell her.
Some might say she could have asked 20000 questions until she guessed the truth and he told her. But honestly, I don't believe QB is incapable of lying. The bastard is full of bullshit, if you ask me.

cleo said:
sugarandspazz said:
and i wonder if they can wish that witches and puella magis didn't exist. what would happen then? maybe that's what madoka's wish will be if she forms the contract?
No way he's gonna grant that, but he'll probably tell Madoka shecan make that happen once she's a magical girl.

That sounds so much like him it's almost freaky.

cleo said:

I go for dark puella as well. I think she tried to transform into MG-mode, but there wasn't enough magic left for that. Therefore I'm not completely sure if she killed those guys. If she had, she would've turned into a witch immediately. (It's different in the manga, but we know that's not conclusive).

No way they would change a critical scene like that in the manga. Yeah, I accept that theory. Blood-dripping sword is all I needed.
Though, she might have killed him, but simply be so out of her mind, she had no memory of it afterwards. I don't see her doing some non-lethal stabs for fun on the idiots, and then walk away.

Side note: Damn, I need to read the manga.

cleo said:
Consider this: if there had been griefseeds remaining in his dead body, why didn't Homura take them out before the new QB had the chance to eat them?
I think him eating himself is symbolism for this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros

We didn't actually saw the Grief Seeds in ep 8, he just ate all of his remains. So he might have actually ate them, and absorbed them like we absorb food (as in, if someone cuts me open, they're not going to find a whole apple inside my stomach), retrieving their power somehow, later. (super theory: SUPER WITCH POOP!)

And ah, the Ouroboros. Now that a legend I know well. How could I have forgotten...

Very well thought, my friend.

And adding to that: it's probably some sort of religion or duty of the incubators. They are (at least, QB) obsessed with Entropy. Therefore, they should try not only to obtain energy, but to waste as little as possible. Eating a dead body reabsorbs the energy in the cells, thus wasting less energy than what he would if he had left it there.

cleo said:
From the looks of it, Homura was chasing him on a different level from where Madoka was, as QB came crashing through the ceiling. So maybe staying put wasn't an option. Also because Homura would blast him away before he couldn't finish calling out to her. He did call it annoying having to come up with a new QB.

Yes, that's correct, but again, that chase looked long, from the sequences we saw in ep 1 and 10. He'd only need to do that when he was close to Madoka.

cleo said:

Yep. Maybe Madoka has to tell her family :P
And I'm still in for the possibilty that Hitomi talked with Kamiyou about Sayaka or that Kamiyou rejected Hitomi because he had feelings for Sayaka.
Having Madoka cry at her grave woyuld be sad, having Kamiyou crying and saying he loved her would be the utmost cruelty.

I doubt she will tell anyone. She didn't alerted the police with Mami, after all.
Everyone would ask what happened. And with Madoka, Sayaka, and sometimes Homura skipping school at the same time, it would look too suspicious.
I think it will be just Madoka, Homura, or both. Homura might get rid of it, to save Madoka from that pain, which would be perfectly understandable, but not the best way to do it. when it comes to the story, IMO.

cleo said:

Yeah, we've been over this. I think it's one of these:
1. Homura was further behind Kyouko (I posted a screen earlier), as the glow seems to be behind Sayaka's body. Shaft fucked up.
Fresh ideas:
2. Homura used her time-stop, to stop what usually happens with dead bodies.
(but it doesn't make sense to do that for just a minute or so)
3. Her emotions made her soulgem flare up. She was trying to get through to Madoka at that point, hoping she would realise that contracting would be biggest mistake, and ofcourse hoping this time she'd finally reach her goal.
Stressing her point by making the soulgem shine brighter, trying to make clear that the soulgem isn't just a cute accessory.

1- The fuck up theory had some sense (even though she was only slightly behind Kyoko, but again, that's why it was a fuck up), but it wasn't only the glow.
Rewatching it, there's a sort of magical sound that appears just when Sayaka's body glows, in perfect synchronization, and isn't heard in the scenes where we see the Soul Gem.
If I had to take a bet on it, it sounded like a heal sound, but it's a big gamble to say that.

2- Yeah, I don't see that one happening.

3- Okay, but why would this affect Sayaka's body?

Also, this time I have a theory on myself, why I discuss so much :3

If you look at it, most of my ramblings involve salvation, in one way or another.
If there is one thing that annoys me about Madoka, is that you don't face death in case you fight evil, you create more evil just by fighting. Alas, you can't fight: you are forced to stay in the sidelines while the world crumbles around you and you can't do anything about it, because doing something about it will only makes things worse.
Unconsciously, I can't deal with that. I can deal with death well: so long as it's an honorable death, while trying to achieve your goal (Mami, Kyoko x1000, and, in a way, Sayaka). But I can't deal with simply not being able to fight for what you believe in. It just makes me sick.
So I guess that's why I come up with these theories, to, in a way, give them a chance to fight, if at least some of them are correct...
BrickBreakMar 22, 2011 10:02 PM
"Tonight, I sit in the eye of the storm. As fire boils around me, I press forward, winds and lightning lashing my wings. I am no match for what I face. Yet I will not back down, and though fear may place it's stranglehold on my heart, courage will see me through. With tears in my eyes, I hit full throttle. My engines become an inferno, and my weapons light up, awaiting my command.

If I die tonight, I will do so fighting for everything I believe in."

Mar 23, 2011 2:38 PM

Nov 2007
BrickBreak said:
Are Homura's timelines just "simple" time travelling (the moment we call time travelling "simple", we know this anime is deep :P ), or happening in parallel dimensions. After all, for all purposes (except for Homura's), they all happen between March 16th and... whenever Walpurgis arrives.
If the second is the case, then the theory of Multiverse would apply: multiple dimensions parallel to each other in time and space. In that case, with QB's technology, it might have been possible to have limited communication between them.

The big issue I have with the Multiverse is that Madoka is showing signs of remembering Homura. A premonitionary dream is possible, but not her having memories about someone she's never seen before.
BrickBreak said:
1- I just started thinking this. If it happens, what reason does Homura have to live anymore. [ ] Damnit. I simply hate Homura when she pulls those stunts, to expend and let die everyone around her for Madoka's sake. I don't think there ever was a character I both loved and hated this much.

Oi, she didn't simply stand by and let everyone die. She tried to safe Mami and saved Sayaka from getting killed by Kyouko (though it was to safe Madoka). And if she doesn't save Madoka from dying /turning into a witch, everyone in town/the planet will die anyway. And I think ep 10 has shown that there's no way for Homura to get through to Sayaka, Sayaka's character having a lot to do with that.
Homura's reason for living after saving Madoka: finally spending some quality time with her friend ofcourse. Except that being happy is never a good sign if you made a wish. And it's very ahrd to see the 2 of them go back to their regular school life after experiencing all that.
BrickBreak said:
Especially when it comes to QB's real name and FORM.

Sidenote here: only gg translated it as Homura saying she knows his true form. Yesy & NB: "I know who you are and what you're really planning." (That's why I watch yesy as well, they're more accurate). Ofcourse it's possible QB has another form, but it wasn't stated so obviously as gg suggests.
BrickBreak said:
We didn't actually saw the Grief Seeds in ep 8, he just ate all of his remains. So he might have actually ate them, and absorbed them like we absorb food (as in, if someone cuts me open, they're not going to find a whole apple inside my stomach), retrieving their power somehow, later.
Yeah, you're right.
I'm just stuck with this image of him hatching eggs in my mind.
Funny that you mention him eating himself is wasting less energy, as that's what he told Homura as well: her shooting him was annoying and a waste.
Maybe that's why he ran - wasting less replicas.
Religion wise it might be something like Hermeticism, as the entire magical girls -> witches resembles alchemy. But it's reaching, as it's only based on QB eating himself.
BrickBreak said:
If there is one thing that annoys me about Madoka, is that you don't face death in case you fight evil, you create more evil just by fighting. Alas, you can't fight: you are forced to stay in the sidelines while the world crumbles around you and you can't do anything about it, because doing something about it will only makes things worse.
Ah, that reminds me of what you said in the speculation thread, about non-magical girls being able to fight witches. She could ask Homura to steal a double dose of weapons and tag along with her, but Homura wouldn't allow that. Also, human weapons don't seem to do much against Walpurga.
But yeah, Madoka is in a lousy position, she wants to do something, but it's obvious that not contracting was the clever thing to do.
Mar 23, 2011 7:15 PM

Dec 2010
cleo said:

The big issue I have with the Multiverse is that Madoka is showing signs of remembering Homura. A premonitionary dream is possible, but not her having memories about someone she's never seen before.

Yeah. Even if Kyubey had some way of communicating between dimensions, it's unlikely that Madoka would be able to. The again, it might be part of her powers, but that would be even more farfetched, specially if we add the fact that she hasn't contracted, and thus awakened her powers, in the current timeline.

That was my last theory on that. I can't really think of anything else, Shaft really screwed us here.

cleo said:
Oi, she didn't simply stand by and let everyone die. She tried to safe Mami and saved Sayaka from getting killed by Kyouko (though it was to safe Madoka). And if she doesn't save Madoka from dying /turning into a witch, everyone in town/the planet will die anyway. And I think ep 10 has shown that there's no way for Homura to get through to Sayaka, Sayaka's character having a lot to do with that.
Homura's reason for living after saving Madoka: finally spending some quality time with her friend ofcourse. Except that being happy is never a good sign if you made a wish. And it's very ahrd to see the 2 of them go back to their regular school life after experiencing all that.

As for Homura future, I actually think that, if both of them come out alive of Walpurgis, having a sort-of regular life might be possible. She could live as Mami did, going to school during the day and witch-hunt during the night, and Madoka would be there to support her emotionally. Common witches are easy game for Homura, so that's not an issue.

If Madoka dies, then obviously we have another restart.

But about saving the other girls, I still don't buy it. I think trying to save Mami was probably to spare Madoka from watching her gruesome death (although, in the end, it played to her benefit, by giving Madoka her first anti-contract shock).
About Sayaka vs Kyoko, I don't think Kyoko would kill Madoka, she even set up her barrier to keep her away from the battle (she might let humans die, but it simply doesn't fit her character to kill them outright). Homura's intervention, apart from, again, sparing Madoka from watching that gruesome show, meant to keep them both, specially Kyoko, uninjured and ready for battle. This is 100% true for Kyoko (as show by her reacting at the end of ep 9), and I think it's also true for Sayaka, as even though she knew it was very, very likely for her to turn into a witch, there was no harm in keeping her in shape in the case she actually lived to see Walpurgis. Plus, getting beaten nearly to death could have caused her to become a witch a lot sooner.

Just a little side note about Sayaka here. Her fall was brought up by mainly two factors: her grievances with the life of a Puella, and the love triangle with Kyosuke and Hitomi.
if you think about it, both of them are fixable.
First, she never had any problems or lack of confidence while fighting witches. What delusioned about that life was the cold attitude of the other girls, and the truth about their souls. If you keep her away from both those things, I believe she could continue fighting witches with confidence and a smile.
As for her love for Kyosuke... well, that's bound to come up in every timeline. There's a simple solution to that: she had a day to confess. She needs to do it. By his conversation with Hitomi, it looked like he did love Sayaka (although, it's mostly my gut telling me this), so getting dumped isn't a factor. She just needs to have the courage to confess to him. I really don't understand why she didn't, I don't think it fits her character.
Either way, if Madoka can be manipulated not to contract, then Sayaka can be manipulated to confess.

Alternatively, Homura can just put two bullets in Hitomi.

cleo said:
Sidenote here: only gg translated it as Homura saying she knows his true form. Yesy & NB: "I know who you are and what you're really planning." (That's why I watch yesy as well, they're more accurate). Ofcourse it's possible QB has another form, but it wasn't stated so obviously as gg suggests.

In that case, then never mind about the true form, but the rest of my argument stands, it's still too much information for her to have.

Just by curiosity: when did Yesy and NB's subs came out?
I'm an impatient person, so I have to try really hard to to watch raws. gg is, as far as i know, the fastest when it comes to sub Madoka.
But if those are more accurate, I can wait a bit more for them. But there's a problem: most often than not, I have to wake up at 6:30AM in Fridays, and for ep 10, gg's subs came out at around 10:30PM (in my timezone), if I'm not mistaken. So, not a lot of margin for me, there.

(oh, and ep 10 that was the only ep I waited for their release: I'm still a newb when it comes to anime, so until then I watched everything on gogoanime's streams, until a friend of mine gave me a huge list of sub groups)

cleo said:
Yeah, you're right.
I'm just stuck with this image of him hatching eggs in my mind.
Funny that you mention him eating himself is wasting less energy, as that's what he told Homura as well: her shooting him was annoying and a waste.
Maybe that's why he ran - wasting less replicas.
Religion wise it might be something like Hermeticism, as the entire magical girls -> witches resembles alchemy. But it's reaching, as it's only based on QB eating himself.

...Damn you. Thanks for that mental imagine, now it's on my mind too. Eeeeeep.

Yeah, running to save replicas would make absolute sense. Though it doesn't explain why Homura only shot him once in ep 8, but then again, she might have simply not been keen on fighting a thousand Kyubeys there.

Well, to be honest, I think I was wrong with suggesting they have a religion. Religion requires faith, and faith requires emotion, even if it's a purely technological religion.

cleo said:
Ah, that reminds me of what you said in the speculation thread, about non-magical girls being able to fight witches. She could ask Homura to steal a double dose of weapons and tag along with her, but Homura wouldn't allow that. Also, human weapons don't seem to do much against Walpurga.
But yeah, Madoka is in a lousy position, she wants to do something, but it's obvious that not contracting was the clever thing to do.

Huh, you read me like a book, don't you?

I wasn't talk only about Madoka there, though her case is the more extreme, but also the other girls, that, unfortunately only realized that after contracting.

For their cases, though, my solution is simple: keep fighting. If you can't find a solution, if you're stuck and think your doom is inevitable, you don't surrender to destiny: you keep on fighting until you find a solution, and if there really is no solution, you continue fighting until your last breath.
This is mainly a personal opinion, derived from past events in my life. I never ever surrender on anything, although I understand that other people people do, under the right circumstances.
And again, that might be why I post so much stuff regarding their salvation :P

But that's rather simple. What's worst is not being able to fight at all. For me, at least, being unable to fight would be a lot worse than dying while fighting. But again, that's just a personal opinion.

About weapons not working on Walpurgis, if it's true, it raises a valid issue: how does Homura fight it, then?
In neither timeline we actually see Homura attacking it: either the battle is cut, or, in T4, all we see is her running and evading Walpurgis' attacks. We see her rushing to it for a second, but that's it.

And about the final point, here my (controversial) thought: even after what we saw in ep 10, I am still not sure if not contracting it's the best solution.
Homura beating Walpurgis alone is very unlikely (Total Badass ending). And even if she does it, sacrificing her life (just like Madoka in T1), there will be no one t defend the city, with everyone else dead.

But both are those are unlikely, the most likely scenario is that Homura ends up cornered, just like in T4/ep 1 dream. And in the case, I believe Madoka contracting is the right thing. Yes, despite turning into a megawitch in T4.
Why? Because if she doesn't, two things happen: either Homura dies, and she can't go back in time in case the timeline needs fixing, and Walpurgis kills everyone.

So, I do believe she should contract. Because, this is my ending speculah: Homura dies (or just gets injured, doesn't matter) Madoka contracts, and kills Walpurgis. She then walks over, picks Homura's Desert Eagle, and shoots her own Soul Gem, going out with a large, happy smile on her face.
BrickBreakMar 23, 2011 7:41 PM
"Tonight, I sit in the eye of the storm. As fire boils around me, I press forward, winds and lightning lashing my wings. I am no match for what I face. Yet I will not back down, and though fear may place it's stranglehold on my heart, courage will see me through. With tears in my eyes, I hit full throttle. My engines become an inferno, and my weapons light up, awaiting my command.

Mar 24, 2011 9:16 AM
May 2010
Cleo and others..
1. Don't watch gg
2. Don't rely on gg
3.Don't trust gg
4.Don't talk about gg
Mar 24, 2011 9:46 AM
Apr 2010
Omniknight said:

Found on another forum.

YURI!

Mar 24, 2011 11:11 AM

Dec 2010
ZaggyPlushie said:
Cleo and others..
1. Don't watch gg
2. Don't rely on gg
3.Don't trust gg
4.Don't talk about gg

Yeah, no.

I'll trust this from someone knowledgeable like cleo, but not from someone who's running a smear campaign on a sub group. You might not like it, but respect the choices of others. I'll watch and talk about gg whenever I want. Grow up.

And since you bothered to drop by, do me the favor and tell me at what time did Yesy's subs came out, in the previous episodes. Because, next time you read a word on a post, be sure to read the whole post, to know why we were talking about sub groups.

Posts like that, with the single purpose of flaming an entity and do not add absolutely anything, are not welcome here.

Mar 24, 2011 6:33 PM

Nov 2007
OK, character time.
Homura: sure it's obvious Madoka is her all important friend. Madoka reached out to her and eventually trusted Homura with her life. That's a big thing.
I think Homu saw Mami as a veteran, the way Madoka saw her as well. Her death must've been a shock for her, as Mami cheered her on as well. But it's suggested Mami dies every timeline and she can't handle the truth. Still an ignorant Mami is a great help in fighting Walpurga, so I don't think she wanted Mami to die against Charlotte.
It's very hard to put yourself in the place of someone who sees her friends dying every month though. Coming up against untrusting Sayaka every time, who doesn't want to believe a word she says, it's not hard to see Homu giving up on trying to convince her.
BrickBreak said:
Just a little side note about Sayaka here. Her fall was brought up by mainly two factors: her grievances with the life of a Puella, and the love triangle with Kyosuke and Hitomi.
if you think about it, both of them are fixable.
First, she never had any problems or lack of confidence while fighting witches. What delusioned about that life was the cold attitude of the other girls, and the truth about their souls. If you keep her away from both those things, I believe she could continue fighting witches with confidence and a smile.
As for her love for Kyosuke... well, that's bound to come up in every timeline. There's a simple solution to that: she had a day to confess. [ ]I really don't understand why she didn't, I don't think it fits her character.

She didn't have just a day, she had loads of time to confess before turning into a MG.
The fact that she didn't, proves that her confidence wasn't all that it appeared to be, it was partly a facade. She didn't dare to confess, thinking she wasn't good enough.
Her being 'simply petit-bourgeois' and him being this great to-be violinist. She was courageous and she meant well, but a lot of it was bravoure.
Than she contracts, but Kyouko beats her easily, Homura knocks her out in a flash and even Madoka has loads more potential than her. Not exactly a confidence boost either, especially for someone as proud as Sayaka.

BrickBreak said:
Because, this is my ending speculah: Homura dies (or just gets injured, doesn't matter) Madoka contracts, and kills Walpurgis. She then walks over, picks Homura's Desert Eagle, and shoots her own Soul Gem, going out with a large, happy smile on her face.
But that also leaves the town with no-one left to defend it...

New Character cards are out on the official site and the puella-wiki
Now this is interesting:
Kriemhild Gretchen: Witch of salvation. Her nature is mercy. She absorbs any life on the planet into her newly created heaven--her barrier. The only way to defeat this witch is to make the world free of misfortune. If there's no grief in this world, she will believe this world is already a heaven.

I'd be very happy with a Faustian ending, but I get headaches at figuring out how that would work with Madoka being a witch.

BrickBreak said:
ZaggyPlushie said:
Cleo and others..
1. Don't watch gg
2. Don't rely on gg
3.Don't trust gg
4.Don't talk about gg

Yeah, no.

I'll trust this from someone knowledgeable like cleo, but not from someone who's running a smear campaign on a sub group. You might not like it, but respect the choices of others. I'll watch and talk about gg whenever I want. Grow up.

And since you bothered to drop by, do me the favor and tell me at what time did Yesy's subs came out, in the previous episodes. Because, next time you read a word on a post, be sure to read the whole post, to know why we were talking about sub groups.

Posts like that, with the single purpose of flaming an entity and do not add absolutely anything, are not welcome here.

I'm the first to admit I'm not a fan of gg-subs, but as a Madoka addict, I'll jump on the first subbed release that comes along. Preferably Nutbladder, but if gg is first, so be it. Yesy's subs are definitely more accurate, but their release is ca. 2 days later.
And as at times in earlier threads I failed to understand what people were talking about due to gg subs, I now watch both gg and Yesy. It's far more constructive in a conversation to point out the difference in subs, than going: "fail for watching wrong subgroup" imo.
Mar 24, 2011 11:32 PM
Apr 2010
Guys guys guys... Go learn Japanese, like what I'm doing right now (first yea rcollege Japanese + independent study). You'll find out that all, if not most of the subbing is that they will stand on a fine line between the translation themselves and what the [English] viewers (expect to) see. By that I mean even the word "Hai" can mean a variety of translations and meanings in English such as "yes", "alright", or "ok". Add to that the fine tunings of having word play, slang, and context, and my god.... It's almost down right annoying.
Mar 25, 2011 9:10 AM

Dec 2010
cleo said:
I think Homu saw Mami as a veteran, the way Madoka saw her as well. Her death must've been a shock for her, as Mami cheered her on as well. But it's suggested Mami dies every timeline and she can't handle the truth. Still an ignorant Mami is a great help in fighting Walpurga, so I don't think she wanted Mami to die against Charlotte.

I agree that she does indeed want everyone to survive up to Walpurgis. She probably thinks them simply as weapons for her to use, and as weapons, they are expendable, at least until you have no further weapons, which explains her reaction to Kyoko's death, the last available girl to help her.

But that's it. I think she chose the wrong path. Yes, the friendly way wasn't working. But there was no need to become so cold on the outside.
If she really does want everyone to survive, she could have taken a more active role, instead of just showing up in emergency situations.

Yes, she couldn't do anything about Mami at Charlotte's, but she could have volunteered to help her from the start. Given her kind incentives to Madoka (and Sayaka) to contract, to not be alone anymore, she would probably accept Homu's help.

Kyoko and Sayaka: again, she could have had a more active role, instead of showing up in their battles. Sayaka wouldn't have to suffer the grief from realizing other girls are cold. And true, Kyoko might have not become Sayaka's friend (well... a bit more than that :), but she would regardless still be there for Walpurgis.

cleo said:
It's very hard to put yourself in the place of someone who sees her friends dying every month though. Coming up against untrusting Sayaka every time, who doesn't want to believe a word she says, it's not hard to see Homu giving up on trying to convince her.

There isn't a person in this world that can't be convinced of something, regardless of how hard it is. In fact, we've seen that Sayaka is rather easily affected by foreign factors. Homura just has to find the right way to do it, either making her accept the truth after contracting, or do the same as Madoka and prevent her from contracting. She has already accepted this last scenario by saying she have have kept a closer look on Sayaka.

There is one risk factor with Sayaka, though, in trying to prevent her from contracting. With the though situation she's in with Kyosuke, I don't think she'd be able to live with herself, knowing miracles exist. As in, there's a big possibility that's she'd either contract anyway, or kill herself.

It would be rather difficult, but possible. Not that she has focused her effort on Sayaka (or any of the other girls, for that matter) yet. If she does, it might be possible.

Because, maybe Madoka isn't the solution. Maybe focusing all her effort on saving the other girls is the solution to save both them and Madoka, and kill Walpurgis.

cleo said:
She didn't have just a day, she had loads of time to confess before turning into a MG.
The fact that she didn't, proves that her confidence wasn't all that it appeared to be, it was partly a facade. She didn't dare to confess, thinking she wasn't good enough.
Her being 'simply petit-bourgeois' and him being this great to-be violinist. She was courageous and she meant well, but a lot of it was bravoure.

I don't count the time before Hitomi's ultimatum. She was shy around Kyosuke, for obvious reason, so she needed time to prepare herself. We all do that. But I think, despite everything, she was definitely determined to do it.
The only question was how long she would take to get over those doubts.

But with Hitomi's ultimatum, there was no time left. She could no longer afford to wait. As far as she knew, it was time to confess to the love of her life, or give it up forever. It was do or don't, and she chose not to do it. It makes no sense to me.

Had she done it, he would have probably accepted, and after that, I don't think there could be anything in this world, apart from further harm to Kyosuke, that would bring down her morale.

cleo said:
Than she contracts, but Kyouko beats her easily, Homura knocks her out in a flash and even Madoka has loads more potential than her. Not exactly a confidence boost either, especially for someone as proud as Sayaka.

That connects to the first of my points: keep her away from other girls, specially Homura (so long as she maintains her cold attitude towards her) and Kyoko. She wasn't great, but she was rather competent, and did not have problems with witches.

cleo said:
BrickBreak said:
Because, this is my ending speculah: Homura dies (or just gets injured, doesn't matter) Madoka contracts, and kills Walpurgis. She then walks over, picks Homura's Desert Eagle, and shoots her own Soul Gem, going out with a large, happy smile on her face.
But that also leaves the town with no-one left to defend it...

Most likely, a girl from another town would pick up the job: Mitikihara was described as being a valuable area, in fact, that's the only reason Kyoko showed up.

Then again, you're right. While Madoka committing suicide would be a sad, but epic ending, the last miutes f the last episode, after the battle against Walpurgis, showing the future, would be a bit underwhelming... unless Shaft manages to make it awesome.

cleo said:
New Character cards are out on the official site and the puella-wiki
Now this is interesting:
Kriemhild Gretchen: Witch of salvation. Her nature is mercy. She absorbs any life on the planet into her newly created heaven--her barrier. The only way to defeat this witch is to make the world free of misfortune. If there's no grief in this world, she will believe this world is already a heaven.

Kudos to the wiki. I don't think I've said this yet, but they are extremely competent. Good job, guys.

Witch of salvation... it makes absolute sense.
Absorbing all life to her heaven... Could there be a relation between her and Elsa Maria?

Also, like all other witch cards, it shows her weakness... though it's one nearly impossible to do.
So the way to defeat her, or at least, stop her from acting, is to rid the world of sadness... Even I, an eternal and incurable optimist, am very skeptical about that being possible.

cleo said:
I'm the first to admit I'm not a fan of gg-subs, but as a Madoka addict, I'll jump on the first subbed release that comes along. Preferably Nutbladder, but if gg is first, so be it. Yesy's subs are definitely more accurate, but their release is ca. 2 days later.
And as at times in earlier threads I failed to understand what people were talking about due to gg subs, I now watch both gg and Yesy. It's far more constructive in a conversation to point out the difference in subs, than going: "fail for watching wrong subgroup" imo.

I don't have allegiances when it comes to subgroups. I deeply respect all of their work, and can't speak ill of any of them.
That said, I am in the same position as you. I like the best subs, but I already try too hard not to watch raws, I won't wait any longer after the first sub comes out. A few hours is already too much, two days is overkill.

But like you, I'll start watching both (in my case, adding Yesy).

Either way, gg might not be the best in quality, (they appear to be in speed, though) but they don't seem to be that bad. I've only watched their Madoka subs, but I have absolutely no complains from them, apart from the nitpicking we've already talked about. The episodes have been perfectly understandable, and the few mistakes have no effect on one's enjoyment of the show.

Mar 25, 2011 9:58 AM

Jan 2010
Damn, why did I ever drop this masterpiece? Thank god I realized my terrible mistake and got caught up with the episodes. Now I only have to wait a month or so for the last two episodes! :D

..fuck.
Mar 25, 2011 4:30 PM

Aug 2009
A bit of fridge logic hit me recently, and I apologize in advance if this has already been mentioned, but I'm not going to trudge through this thread looking for it :/

Anyhoo, what I was wondering was whether or not Homura had attempted to make it to Walpurgisnacht with a full team, i.e trying to keep Mami, Sayaka, and Kyouko alive during any one iteration of the time loop. We've seen that the first loop (before she contracted) had Madoka and Mami face it and lose, but every one after that usually only had Madoka and Homura. The way I see it, if you have the ability to essentially restart from a save point, wouldn't it make sense to have as many party members alive as possible for the final boss? I suppose you could attribute it to Homura's lone wolf approach and singular fixation on Madoka, but even so you think she'd try that method at least once.
Ha-cha!
Mar 25, 2011 5:57 PM

Dec 2010
LightningRamiel said:
A bit of fridge logic hit me recently, and I apologize in advance if this has already been mentioned, but I'm not going to trudge through this thread looking for it :/

Anyhoo, what I was wondering was whether or not Homura had attempted to make it to Walpurgisnacht with a full team, i.e trying to keep Mami, Sayaka, and Kyouko alive during any one iteration of the time loop. We've seen that the first loop (before she contracted) had Madoka and Mami face it and lose, but every one after that usually only had Madoka and Homura. The way I see it, if you have the ability to essentially restart from a save point, wouldn't it make sense to have as many party members alive as possible for the final boss? I suppose you could attribute it to Homura's lone wolf approach and singular fixation on Madoka, but even so you think she'd try that method at least once.
You are absolutely correct.

I think she did, and still does. After all, none of the girl's death would benefit her, in any way. Defeating Walpurgis is a crucial part towards her wish to protect Madoka, so any help is good help.
But it is also indeed her fixation with Madoka that's keeping her from saving all of them, at least partial. She witnessed the events on the first timelines, and thus lost hope in the other girls, doing only the minimum effort to keep them alive until Walpurgis. She could do a lot more for them, if she wanted to.

Notice the fact that, unlike the other girls, she griefed for Kyoko. It can't be a coincidence that it happened with the last girl available to help her, if we count Madoka out.

I wont discard the possibility that she might have tried to keep the MG team together, at least a bit more than timeline 3 (which was rather good, as by the time Sayaka turned into a witch, there were still four of them) in other timelines, and failed. But it's clear that she could make a much better effort at it.

Mar 25, 2011 7:00 PM

Oct 2009
Wow most of the previous posts by Cleo and BrickBreak are just too long; too much information to to process. So you've kinda got me lost on all the different aspects that you two are discussing.

I'd like to add to some previous things discussed (and most of them are just going to relate to the plot of the series, and less on the technical stuff which the staff may not have thoroughly thought out in detail):

Defeating Walpurgis Night:
I don't think it needs to be done with all the MG - clearly because in the timelines we saw, most of them kept dying before the final boss. I reckon Homura has already considered and tried that scenario of keeping all the MG alive and having a 5v1 against Walpurgis Night. She might have failed to convince all of them the truth each time (like how Sayaka doubts her, and Mami going berserk). And she probably can't learn to be more persuasive with her speech because her attitude has grown so cold over the whole ordeal (no wonder no-one listens to her).

And then you have Homura saying in timeline 4 that she wants to carry the burden purely by herself. I think we can assume she's tried the above of keeping a team of MG to face WPN, so in the current timeline she's most likely going to keep her strategy of going solo (not that she has a choice now). Hence I think the final showdown is going to be a 1v1 between her and WPN.

Madoka's Wish:
As to how the series will end; something still tells me that Madoka is going to become a MG and her wish is going to be an important element to the plot. I tried guessing her wish last time, probably didn't come close to what will actually happen. But I still think that the wish will involve WPN being beaten (so possibly a wish for power), and it's anyone's guess as to whether Madoka and/or Homura die as a result.

Some people have talked about Madoka wishing that none of the anime's events (and prior) ever happened (or like there were never any MG/witches to start off with). For this to work (only speculating here), Madoka's wish could be: "I wish there was infinite energy (or enough energy) to begin with, so that the incubators would have no need to come to earth and start the MG/witch cycle" <- give or take a few things from there. What this might actually look like in the anime is that there's one final time reset, everyone forgets everything (possibly), and the everything starts again with Homura waking up in the hospital bed (just like at the start of ep 10 sorta) but this time no-one is an MG, and no-one remembers each other. Then perhaps somehow Homura and Madoka become friends anyway (though they don't remember each other).

And, wait for it, the epic final scene could be of Madoka, Homura, plus maybe Sayaka and a few others sitting under a tree having lunch (with an ending theme playing), having a girly chat and then one of them mentions: "Wouldn't it be great if we had magical powers and could be like magical girls, fighting evil?" Fade to black.

Random ramble I know. But rather than think of how things "should" end up, I'm thinking more of how the writers will give the viewers an ending that everyone will like and go "wow" at.

EDIT:
Just something strange I noted about the fight against WPN. When Madoka's fighting, and then is seen dying, the setting is like a beach or something and Madoka is like dying just on ths shore (because there is always water around her). When Homura fights alone, the setting is one with skyscrapers, and only when Madoka becomes a witch does it change back to the beach/shoreline one. Strange.

But given that the ocean is involved, I'm thinking that theyre delaying ep11 and 12 because the art involves the ocean, and possibly tidal waves, which won't be good because it draws references to the tsunami. Maybe they're chaging that one setting.
divineiniquityMar 25, 2011 7:15 PM
Mar 25, 2011 9:03 PM

Dec 2010
divineiniquity said:
Wow most of the previous posts by Cleo and BrickBreak are just too long; too much information to to process. So you've kinda got me lost on all the different aspects that you two are discussing.

What can I say... It's like Madoka was created to generate this kind of discussions from the start.
In addition, now that we don't have our weekly dose, we have (or at least I do) to find another

That said, I apologize for anyone being lost in the boatload of posts. I do not intend in any way to monopolize the thread. The more participants, the better.

divineiniquity said:

Defeating Walpurgis Night:
[...]

(cutting some of the quotes to make the post shorter)

True, but it does not hurt in any way to have some around for the showdown. Her mild attempts to save the other girls in this timeline might have had that intention, but that is certain in Kyoko's case: Homura was the one who proposed the alliance, and she griefed for her when she died, knowing she was the last one that could help her.

Side note: Sayaka might be savable, as I wrote earlier, but it would be difficult.
However, we have seen Mami reach Walpurgis in the first two timelines, so it's definitely possible.

When she speaks about taking it all down alone, I believe she is referring as not to form a close team with them, as in the first timelines.

divineiniquity said:
Madoka's Wish:
As to how the series will end; something still tells me that Madoka is going to become a MG and her wish is going to be an important element to the plot. I tried guessing her wish last time, probably didn't come close to what will actually happen. But I still think that the wish will involve WPN being beaten (so possibly a wish for power), and it's anyone's guess as to whether Madoka and/or Homura die as a result.

Some people have talked about Madoka wishing that none of the anime's events (and prior) ever happened (or like there were never any MG/witches to start off with). For this to work (only speculating here), Madoka's wish could be: "I wish there was infinite energy (or enough energy) to begin with, so that the incubators would have no need to come to earth and start the MG/witch cycle" <- give or take a few things from there.

Yes, those are possibilities. I for one can't see an ending without Madoka giving everyone a display of her power (in this timeline, that is).

However, the "infinite energy" wish is bound to backfire: the heat death of the universe is brought about by atoms no longer having energy to collide and react with each other. Infinite energy would do the opposite: accelerate the particle reactions, heating up the universe. Eventually, it is possible we would end up with all mass the universe accumulated into a Big Bang one again, but due to energy still being formed, it will continue to compress itself, without ever bursting. (note: I'm a Biologist, not a physics engineer. So, I'm not in my specialty here).

divineiniquity said:
What this might actually look like in the anime is that there's one final time reset, everyone forgets everything (possibly), and the everything starts again with Homura waking up in the hospital bed (just like at the start of ep 10 sorta) but this time no-one is an MG, and no-one remembers each other. Then perhaps somehow Homura and Madoka become friends anyway (though they don't remember each other).

I'm just not seeing how that wish would create the reset you speak of.
It would definitely interesting, though.

divineiniquity said:
And, wait for it, the epic final scene could be of Madoka, Homura, plus maybe Sayaka and a few others sitting under a tree having lunch (with an ending theme playing), having a girly chat and then one of them mentions: "Wouldn't it be great if we had magical powers and could be like magical girls, fighting evil?" Fade to black.

Random ramble I know. But rather than think of how things "should" end up, I'm thinking more of how the writers will give the viewers an ending that everyone will like and go "wow" at.

We all have the right to give our ending speculah's. Hell, who hasn't? :)
For that ending, I can't possibly think of a better final scene.

divineiniquity said:

Just something strange I noted about the fight against WPN.
[...]

Hmm. I doubt it. We have, for quite some episodes now, seen floating water bubbles at critical points in the story. I believe it's related to them.
In my opinion, that does not resemble a beach at all. it's more likely that it's the razed ground under Mitakihara, with water from heavy rain resting on top of it. The weather does turn awful when Walpurgis hovers above the city, so heavy rainfall is very possible.
In addition, witch Madoka also assumes the form of an angry cloud, in one instance.

Oh, and after a lot of editing and further insigt, I just posted my theory on Homura's possible source of information on the wiki. Give it a look, if you feel so.

Mar 28, 2011 4:34 PM

Dec 2010
Sorry for double posting, but I had a moment of fridge brilliance myself. I can't believe I was so stupid not to see this before! It's so simple!

People have suggested (including me) theories on whether a witch can be "saved" or not. Shaft did not gave us a chance, though. All efforts failed.
But most of those revolved around cleansing a Grief Seed the same way one would cleanse a Soul Gem. What if it's... backwards?

A Soul Gem requires Grief Seeds to be cleansed. Puellas hunt them (well, mostly) exactly because of that.
But we have seen that Witches aren't properly wary of catching Soul Gems. In Charlotte's case, we can even say they're hungry for them.

True, they do not hunt them down, rather focusing on humans or whatever passes them by. But remember that Witches' attacks on humans mainly involve playing around with their own souls, by making them commit suicide, murder, and the kind.
So, it is quite possible that they consume human souls. Look at when Madoka was captured by Elly: if that wasn't playing around with Madoka's soul, I don't know what it was.
And human souls, while less powerful, are generally pure. Keep that in mind.

It has always bugged me that the witches seem to have absolutely no reason for their actions. Hate, despair and loneliness, at the extreme levels at witch the Witches feel them, certainly induce murderous feelings. But we all know there are some ways to vent it out, other than murder. And they too, have them.
Gertrud looks out for her roses, Charlotte searches for cheese, Oktavia listens to her band, Isadel lives for her art.

So, maybe killing other beings isn't just for the sake of killing. Maybe it serves a bigger purpose...

Just as Grief Seeds, dark souls, are the key to clean magical girls' souls, then is consuming the pureness in human and magical girl souls the key to clean dark souls?

In more philosophical way:
If the path to cleaning a pure soul is darkness, then light is the path to clean darkness.

Apr 1, 2011 11:05 AM
Mar 2011
BrickBreak said:

In more philosophical way:
If the path to cleaning a pure soul is darkness, then light is the path to clean darkness.

not just "philosophilical".... if nothing else, this series just emphasize one law of physics: "energy is neither created nor lost" only recycled and transformed. in layman's terms, everything in the universe balances out.
"....i am the villain in this story"
Apr 2, 2011 4:10 PM

Dec 2009
Whoah. In the beginning, I actually joked about Homura probably being from the future or something since she reminded me a lot of Saya from Naishou no Tsubomi.

I am so cool.
Apr 2, 2011 10:58 PM

May 2008
If Homu gave Madoka a lobotomy, would she still be of any use to Kyubey?

I enjoy watching people's favorites. Recommend your favorite show to me, even if I have it dropped/on hold.
Apr 3, 2011 7:19 AM

Oct 2008
I still want my Madoka Thursday back!
Apr 3, 2011 11:38 PM
Mar 2009
Wow, did a quadruple take in the beginning.

OMG! I like these Madoka's. They aren't completely indecisive dumbasses. Strange that she uses a bow, I'd thought she would use wands, like a typical mahou shoujo.

Holy crap, Homura's wish is so freaking flawed and complicated. I also find it funny that all her weapons come from Yakuza stashes. This show definitely needs a Shoujo-ai tag.

LOL! All of them except Homura just have to die in each and every timeline so far. Kyubey's trolling is too good!
Apr 4, 2011 10:10 AM

Feb 2011
so.. now it's the 5th timeline? or may be an n-timeline already?

this current one looks like the setting of the 4th, even if mami, sayaka and kyouko died in a different way,so i wonder how the final result(madoka signing a contract) will change

i have the feeling the wish of homura will be turned in a curse, like even if she succeeded to protect madoka around that time she'll always return back automatically, even if she don't want, being cursed to repeat forever that time untill her will don't break and she turn in a time-related witch.....

so i expect homura to succeed this timeline, only to vanish as her power effect, and we follow madoka in this timeline, her alone

edit. also did someone else noticed the more homura retry the more madoka becomes strong? or, the latter madoka sign the contract the stronger her form is?
madoka:
1st lost
2nd win, but wiched
3rd win, killed to avoid wiched
4th oneshoted the boss >.>

the first times homura tryed to kill kyubey multiple times, this timeline it seems she did that only 2 times, like she has decided killing it must be done only as timeline manupulation(also to reduce the times that allow kyubey to discover her aim and ostacole her), since anyway killing one of its bodies don't end anything :/
ZeandoApr 4, 2011 10:42 AM

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Apr 4, 2011 6:06 PM

Jun 2007
Poor Mami, it seems she cannot avoid head trauma in any timeframe thus far...
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Apr 7, 2011 10:42 AM

Dec 2010
I so want to get the last episodes and in the same time I don't want for this anime to end =\ I got used to the music in the background...
Apr 9, 2011 2:18 AM

Aug 2010
I love Homura now she's a cold badass. I love how she wanted to protect Madoka from everything. And fucking mind blown by this episode.
Apr 9, 2011 3:05 PM

Jul 2010
Ah, this is exactly what was needed--an expository episode on Homura that confirms just how badass she is.

The execution of this episode was insane. Breakneck pacing and not one moment lacking in action. In fact, just about the entire story is explained through action with no dull moments whatsoever. Seriously. This is Higurashi packed into 20 minutes. Fucking awesome.

Homura is quite the unsung hero of the show, sacrificing her entire existence to give Madoka a happy ending. Having gone through the same tragedy four (or n) times and being ultimately powerless to stop their deaths, she really has it harder than everyone else. To make things worse, now the others don't even realize her intentions (though that's more her fault, and IMO mistake). Yet still, she perseveres. If she gets a bad ending, I am going to rage.

In the end, I guess it's all up to Madoka and her wish to change things for the better because as it is, there's no way Homura can beat Walpurgis Night alone. Maybe alter the physics of the universe (E>>mc^2 perhaps?) so that Kyuubey won't have to harvest lolis?

divineiniquity said:

Haha, you win! That's as perfect an ending as I can imagine :D
Apr 9, 2011 9:43 PM

Feb 2011
woah so that's how it is they have a deep friendship in the past,now i understand why homura is so protective to madoka
Homura takes all the responsibility to her self, she's the one who suffers here the most, miki sayaka's suffering didn't even match up from her suffering..
homura has a very acceptable reason that's worth fighting for her life. she live for madoka...

insert song makes it more EPIC
Apr 12, 2011 4:31 AM

Feb 2010
The episode was pretty cool , More of Homura of how did she became a mahou shoujo.
i really feel so sad of her! :(
poor homura , repeating just for madoka's sake.
but its seems no matter how she repeat...everything is like still the same.
because of that motherfucker , kyubee.
Apr 12, 2011 12:12 PM

Apr 2008
Wasn't really feeling this show, but this episode changed that. What a work of art! I was actually tearing up for Homura by the end of the episode, even though I didn't really feel a connection to any of the characters in the past 9 episodes. The entire concept of repeating the same time frame over and over again and failing to suceed every time is heartbreaking. It's such a mindfuck!

Like people have been saying, it's going to be hard for the last 2 episodes to top this one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2011 9:54 PM

Oct 2008
I NEED EPISODE 11 AND 12 NAO.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Apr 14, 2011 5:10 PM

Sep 2009
So now we know what happened....madoka died like 100 times....hahahahahhahahahah

But I wish they would of shows up exactly how that walpurgis night thing looks like...I was in the mood for some lulz dammit!

Would be awesome if this got a second season tho
Apr 15, 2011 11:00 PM

Jul 2009
Some people are ignoring the obvious. Wouldn't the most basic solution be to kill Madoka before she meets Kyubei? I realize Homura's motivation is to "save" Madoka, but she can break out of the time loop, most of the other girl's deaths, and the destruction of the world if she choses to abandon her premise.
controlmajortomApr 15, 2011 11:08 PM
Apr 17, 2011 7:03 PM

Mar 2009
WOW... now I know why I rank this show 10/10. ---- Randy
Apr 18, 2011 4:02 AM

Dec 2010
controlmajortom said:
Some people are ignoring the obvious. Wouldn't the most basic solution be to kill Madoka before she meets Kyubei? I realize Homura's motivation is to "save" Madoka, but she can break out of the time loop, most of the other girl's deaths, and the destruction of the world if she choses to abandon her premise.
But that's the thing... Homura couldn't care less about the world. All that matters to her is Madoka.
And that gets in my nerves, to be honest.

Apr 18, 2011 9:24 AM
Jul 2010
BrickBreak said:
controlmajortom said:
But that's the thing... Homura couldn't care less about the world. All that matters to her is Madoka.

Yeah, Homura is not going to abandon her goal for the world.
So, you'd prefer idealistic characters who want to make the world a better place... You certainly saw how those end up in this anime xD
Anyway, what would the world mean to you if the things your cherished were gone? Granted, considering other people is important but most of the time humans act out of selfishness. Even when they help others. Homura thought she was stupid and useless. Madoka saved her both physically and mentally and that's why she's so important to her. Moreover, Homura went through a lot in order to save Madoka and quiting now for a solution that would be better for the world but worse for herself and her friend would render all her efforts useless.
Apr 18, 2011 7:51 PM

Nov 2007
I couldn't help but keep thinking about Higurashi the whole time I was watching the episode......
But this was poignant and memorable in its own way. I want the last two episodes nao! D<
Apr 19, 2011 5:24 AM
Apr 2011
Ep11 and 12 are on air this week anyway.
I really can't wait the last 2 days.

How much can they become happy?
Apr 19, 2011 1:48 PM

Jun 2009
Just a couple more days!

Need... moar... Madoka Magica... !!
Apr 19, 2011 2:57 PM

Dec 2010
Dusk252 said:
BrickBreak said:
controlmajortom said:

Yeah, Homura is not going to abandon her goal for the world.
So, you'd prefer idealistic characters who want to make the world a better place... You certainly saw how those end up in this anime xD
Anyway, what would the world mean to you if the things your cherished were gone? Granted, considering other people is important but most of the time humans act out of selfishness. Even when they help others. Homura thought she was stupid and useless. Madoka saved her both physically and mentally and that's why she's so important to her. Moreover, Homura went through a lot in order to save Madoka and quiting now for a solution that would be better for the world but worse for herself and her friend would render all her efforts useless.

Well, it's not like she can save Madoka if the world ends the next second...
But yeah, I do prefer characters like that, and Madoka isn't going to change it because it gives them horrible consequences.
There are always consequences for your actions. The case here was that the characters that fought for the world (Mami and Sayaka) couldn't live through them. It's tragic, but it doesn't mean no one can. Being an "ally of justice", as Sayaka calls it (it's rather cheesy, though), doesn't demand one to be naive or ignorant (and no, it's not naive and ignorant by itself). It just requires a lot more mental strength than any of the character in the anime have. Mami and Sayaka broke down, and Kyouko and Homura gave up. They couldn't cope with it. Okay, they're just young girls, but i'd love to see a character go through the hell that is life as a magical girl and still managing to relentlessly keep their resolve to defend the world through the fire and brimstone. Well, I guess I have to count with Kazumi for that...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not lobbying for a character change from Homura, that would be awful at this point. She is who she is. And while she does get in my nerves (for giving up on all existence, except Madoka...), she is an absolutely great character, just like, well, every character in Madoka. In her case, I love her fighting style: using common human weapons against these kind of creatures is nothing short of awesome. That, and I'm a gun nut. Never have I found a character I both loved and hate so much at the same time.
BrickBreakApr 19, 2011 3:01 PM

Apr 19, 2011 3:48 PM
Jul 2018
I dont think Homura gave up on all existence. This episode revealed many truths to her...and really exposed her character and history.

Her preventing Madoka from becoming a MG is directly saving the entire world. Madoka may become the strongest MG, but consequently the biggest villain.

She is the thankless savior, so to speak. As Homura is willing to die and nobody may even know about the full reasons for it...not even Madoka. Tragic heroine..

This is probably the best series I've seen in a long time. On pace for a 10/10 rating in my book.

@BrickBreak,

Her killing Madoka right off the bat defeats her purpose. What was her wish when becoming a MG in the first place? to PROTECT madoka. In the last couple minutes of the episode, Homura states her intention loud and clear:

"Defeat the witches and Walpurgis Night alone - without anyones help, ESPECIALLY madoka."

And she's willing to die to do it... :(
Apr 20, 2011 9:01 AM

Dec 2010
restore said:
I dont think Homura gave up on all existence. This episode revealed many truths to her...and really exposed her character and history.

Her preventing Madoka from becoming a MG is directly saving the entire world. Madoka may become the strongest MG, but consequently the biggest villain.

She is the thankless savior, so to speak. As Homura is willing to die and nobody may even know about the full reasons for it...not even Madoka. Tragic heroine..

This is probably the best series I've seen in a long time. On pace for a 10/10 rating in my book.

@BrickBreak,

Her killing Madoka right off the bat defeats her purpose. What was her wish when becoming a MG in the first place? to PROTECT madoka. In the last couple minutes of the episode, Homura states her intention loud and clear:

"Defeat the witches and Walpurgis Night alone - without anyones help, ESPECIALLY madoka."

And she's willing to die to do it... :(
Maybe so, but saving the world, for her, is just an added bonus. She would be a tragic heroine if anyone knew what she was doing. She would be a tragic heroine for Madoka alone, if anyone knew WHY she was doing it.

And... yes, I agree with that, obviously. I wasn't the one who said she should kill Madoka, I was refuting that point O.o

Apr 20, 2011 12:11 PM

Sep 2010
Am I the only one who thinks that Homura is going to die?
Yesterday, I had the weirdest dream about Madoka, and now I have this 'I might see the ending!' feeling. xD

1. Madoka does not become a PM, and Homura somehow manages to defeat Walpurgis. She is about to die, while Madoka is sitting by her side, crying. Madoka says: 'If it's like this, I would rather have died..' and Homura suddenly realises how foolish her actions were, then dies leaving Madoka all alone.

2. The above, except Homura resets time one more time OR sends Madoka back in time before dying. We have seen all the time lines WITH Homura around, but what if everyone's fate changes when she's not there?

Hmm, not that I am fully awake, they don't seem all that great and likely, but I just thought I'd share anyway. xDD

Can't wait until tomorrow! <3
Proud mama and papa of Misha Yuuki* (02-01-2014 - 22-01-2014)
Thank you for the wonderful twenty days you gave us. <3
One day we will meet again..
Apr 20, 2011 12:30 PM

Feb 2011
i like those

i would only change the 2.
homura dies and make madoka come back, and homura first self is still in it (since homura doesn't really come back with her body but return in her previous self)
madoka is the only one to remember all

so there are 2 option
1. madoka is now the one who have to save all
2. madoka end behaving exactly like the first timeline of homura, leading homura to sign the contract again and making the time-trave cycle restart

i like the 2.1 better :3

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Apr 20, 2011 12:41 PM

Dec 2010
Just one day left, uh? Guess it's time for ending speculah... well, again.

I don't really wish for this ending... but for some reason, it's the one that keeps coming to my head when I think about the end:
Homura dies, or is heavily injured. Madoka contracts, and defeats Walpurgis. She then picks up Homura's Desert Eagle, and kills herself, going out with a smile, having defeated Walpurgis, but not having become a witch. What happens next, I don't know...
BrickBreakApr 20, 2011 2:41 PM

Apr 20, 2011 1:25 PM

Sep 2010
BrickBreak said:

I don't really wish for this ending... but for some reason, it's the one that keeps coming to my head when I think about the end:
Homura dies, or is heavily injured. Madoka contracts, and defeats Walpurgis. She then picks up Homura's Desert Eagle, and kills herself, going out with a smile, having defeated Walpurgis, but having become a witch. What happens next, I don't know...

If she kills herself, how can she become a witch? ;O
Proud mama and papa of Misha Yuuki* (02-01-2014 - 22-01-2014)
Thank you for the wonderful twenty days you gave us. <3
One day we will meet again..
Apr 20, 2011 2:18 PM
Jul 2018
I dont think ive ever anticipated any anime episodes this much since...ever. Sucks even more b/c i wont know exactly what time they will be subbed :X

They really could go many ways with the ending...I just hope it is a happy one, although unlikely as it is...
Apr 20, 2011 2:23 PM

Apr 2011
The epicness... IT BURNS! God i can't wait to watch the last two episodes. i wonder what happens, but probably one of them will die/turn into a witch. Maybe Homura turns into a witch instead of Madoka, saving her... But I think she still failed then because she'll probably attack madoka then <_<
Apr 20, 2011 2:41 PM

Dec 2010
RomanaDesu said:
BrickBreak said:

Homura dies, or is heavily injured. Madoka contracts, and defeats Walpurgis. She then picks up Homura's Desert Eagle, and kills herself, going out with a smile, having defeated Walpurgis, but having become a witch. What happens next, I don't know...

If she kills herself, how can she become a witch? ;O
NOT becoming a witch. My mistake :P

Apr 20, 2011 7:07 PM

Jun 2009
restore said:
I dont think ive ever anticipated any anime episodes this much since...ever. Sucks even more b/c i wont know exactly what time they will be subbed :X

They really could go many ways with the ending...I just hope it is a happy one, although unlikely as it is...

I've seen happy endings come out of the most abysmal and hopeless situations, and not even be totally forced and unnatural. It could happen, and happen well.

Likewise, I've seen things turn around in the opposite direction, too, going from what obviously seems like a happy ending, to a complete and total tragedy.

I would be happier with an ending as dark as the series has been so far, whether it be tragic or merely bittersweet.
Apr 23, 2011 1:40 PM

Dec 2010
this is pretty much a reminiscent of higurashi now.

still, it was pretty fucking epic. I still hate Kyubey to the max. That little bastard...

who would've thought Homura was the "weakling"? I wondered at first how she was able to see without her glasses but it seems she used her stone to restore her 20/20 vision.

Apr 25, 2011 3:24 PM
Mar 2010
..........no words........

I will comment on last episode........

next to 11
Pages (15) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Your favorite character

erziescarlett - May 7, 2023

33 by Zakir_knight »»
Jun 11, 9:59 PM

» Characters are annoying

Flowz0x - May 7, 2022

24 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 11, 9:48 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1546 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 6, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

231 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 6, 1:56 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 3, 2011

463 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 6, 12:25 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.