Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (124) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Mar 14, 2015 8:41 AM

Jan 2014
You can still talk about completed series. They just don't tend to generate as much discussion as ongoing ones.
Naruto still has an ongoing anime (although it's in filler season).
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 14, 2015 8:42 AM

Sep 2013
This weeks chapter rankings.
Toriko > bleach > fairy tail > snk

Wyzdm said:
Agafin said:
No they aren't.

The Naruto manga is over

It's coming back in spring, GG no re.
Bleach <3 is going strong.
I agree that OP is dead quality wise thou.
Mar 14, 2015 8:49 AM

Nov 2010
Wyzdm said:
IntroverTurtle said:
what's wrong with this thread being open if they are still being talked about?

Nothing. The thing I didn't like about this thread was this
Luna_ said:

What should not be posted in this thead?[list][*]Discussion about anime with no relation to the Big 3; this is not a genre thread, but a concept thread.

I liked when this thread was a general shounen thread
Then say that or don't(look at the last sentence of the OP).
Mar 14, 2015 11:06 AM
Oct 2013
Agafin said:
No actually in One Piece you just need to eat a devil fruit and it grants you an ability already at the top of its efficiency. Good example being the gears from Luffy. For several people who dislike them, the reason seems to be that they came out of nowhere (since Luffy is rarely ever shown training) and the best reasons I was given for that is that since Luffy is already rubber, all those abilities are already part of his makeup, he just needs to think about them. No training whatsoever is required. Now that's what I consider cheap.

I only mentioned chakra because you said that the means of getting their nen activated seems cheap and you said earlier that this is in comparison to other battle shonen not just limited to HxH. In that sense, even if that is part of the rules of chakra, it doesn't really make change anything to my point.

Finally, just like I said earlier, I'm not really a fan of Conqueror's haki since it's basically the same stuff that is only possible by 1% of 1% of the population like in HxH except here, there's no drawback.

Edit: I also need to add that the fact that some "normal" individuals like Sanji or Zoro have DF-like abilities makes the whole thing a bit iffy.

Although I like to stress out stupid writing in One Piece which happens occasinally for the sake of a joke, what you said is simply not true.

It´s more like you can have an affinity towards a devil fruit /aka be talented in utilizing it/have already a level of base strength that get´s enhanced through your devil fruit.

Oda stressed out that Luffy took several years to master his abilitys and reach his consistent powerlevel. The comlaints with Gear are that it provides exponential growth through a powerup that just required to think about it, while it only potentially can endanger his life if used too much.

A good example for straight power enhancement would be Kaku or Sabo who barely obtained their abiitys and straight use them in succesion on a decent level.

It also was pointed out that Kaku mastered the basics of his Devil fruit by another Zoan type DF user which could be ignored in his case because at that point in time Kaku had alread a mastery over his body through the special superhuman training he underwent.
IsterioMar 14, 2015 11:15 AM
Mar 14, 2015 11:17 AM

Dec 2014
Are there any limits to using devil fruit powers in one piece? In fairy tail, there is magic capacity. If you run out of magic, you can't cast any magic. When you run out of it, magical forces in the air slowly fills it again. Can characters in one piece endlessly spam their abilities?
Mar 14, 2015 11:18 AM

Jun 2011
cenkiss said:
Are there any limits to using devil fruit powers in one piece? In fairy tail, there is magic capacity. If you run out of magic, you can't cast any magic. When you run out of it, magical forces in the air slowly fills it again. Can characters in one piece endlessly spam their abilities?
Stamina.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 14, 2015 11:24 AM
Oct 2013
cenkiss said:

It´s pretty vague system,there are no specified limits and you have to take a characters word for their personal limits pretty much like in Naruto.

If a character claims to be able to use just one more DF attack you must take his word for it no one else can give you intel on this. But using a DF is as draining as any physical distribution of power.
IsterioMar 14, 2015 11:27 AM
Mar 14, 2015 12:14 PM

Oct 2013
Wyzdm said:
Naruto and Bleach are dead already. This thread needs to get killed.

They can only be dead if know one wants to discuss anything about them. Which isn't the case.
Mar 14, 2015 12:38 PM
Sep 2014
Any info on when the fillers in shippuden end?
Mar 14, 2015 12:44 PM
Oct 2013
JohnnyBme said:
Any info on when the fillers in shippuden end?

None besides 6 more episodes of filler are guaranteed.
Mar 14, 2015 1:31 PM
Jul 2018
ichii_1 said:
There aren't enough laughing gifs on the internet for this post.
Mar 14, 2015 1:32 PM

Nov 2010
jpem said:
ichii_1 said:
He's a comedian, you'll only be complimenting him.
Mar 14, 2015 1:34 PM

Jun 2012
jpem said:
-

Oh hey you're back in here, cool Corazon set btw
Mar 14, 2015 1:40 PM
Jul 2018
Kaimon said:
jpem said:
-

Oh hey you're back in here, cool Corazon set btw
Yeah, I only really browse the forums when I'm actually watching anime and I haven't been watching much lately. Also, thanks.
Mar 14, 2015 1:47 PM
Mar 2013
jpem said:
ichii_1 said:
what's the matter, can't handle the truth?
Mar 14, 2015 2:01 PM

Jun 2012
Weekly readers are fickle, anyway. Bleach is already getting shat on again despite being "better than One Piece and Toriko" two weeks ago and everyone calling Dressrosa "one of the worst arcs" will be saying how good it was when we get to the next island
Mar 14, 2015 2:46 PM

Jan 2014
Kaimon said:
Weekly readers are fickle, anyway. Bleach is already getting shat on again despite being "better than One Piece and Toriko" two weeks ago and everyone calling Dressrosa "one of the worst arcs" will be saying how good it was when we get to the next island

So true.
That's why I think marathoning is the best option all around. The pain of waiting weekly may soon change many people's minds. For only through pain does one come to realize the best path to happiness.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Mar 14, 2015 3:02 PM

Dec 2014
ToG25thBaam said:
cenkiss said:
Stamina.

I only saw luffy randomly falling asleep. No other characters give any sign of their powers depleting.
Mar 14, 2015 3:02 PM

Jun 2012
Well most of the complaints about Dressrosa lately have been about pacing (despite the pacing being pretty average if anything) but almost none of these complaints were present during the middle part of the arc that actually -was- dragged, ah dun geddit
Mar 14, 2015 4:31 PM

Dec 2013
cenkiss said:
ToG25thBaam said:
Stamina.

I only saw luffy randomly falling asleep. No other characters give any sign of their powers depleting.

Law's power has a limit with how much he can use it.
Mar 14, 2015 4:38 PM

Mar 2014
Damn, never saw that Kill la Kill twist coming
Mar 14, 2015 5:10 PM

Sep 2011
Agafin said:
Good example being the gears from Luffy. For several people who dislike them, the reason seems to be that they came out of nowhere (since Luffy is rarely ever shown training) and the best reasons I was given for that is that since Luffy is already rubber, all those abilities are already part of his makeup, he just needs to think about them. No training whatsoever is required. Now that's what I consider cheap.

The idea for gears didn't come out of nowhere. If you recall during Enies Lobby when Luffy fought Blueno, he explained where he got the idea for Gear 2nd and why he came up with it. The idea came to him from watching CP9 fight. He saw they would kick the air 10xs in a second which is how they moved so fast.

The reason there was no training arc is because prior to the time-skip Luffy got stronger just from fighting. He always came up with ways of using his ability to counter his opponent. One of the reasons I like One Piece is due to the lack of training arcs. They didn't need to be shown because they got stronger from fighting stronger opponents. Instead of the traditional Shonen way of being trained by a mentor. I think the only one that actively trains is Zoro, but he just does weight training.

Also, as others have said. He didn't really need to train for Gear 2nd or 3rd since one of them just involves pumping more blood and the other just has him inflate his bones. A training arc would have been unnecessary for those techniques. Also it would have been impossible since there was no time for them to train between Water 7 and Enies Lobby. It's also not an intricate technique like Naruto's Rasengan, which had several steps that needed to be mastered before it could be effectively used.
FullmetalRaikouMar 14, 2015 5:14 PM
Mar 14, 2015 5:12 PM
Mar 2013
Fullmetal89 said:
The idea for gears didn't come out of nowhere. If you recall during Enies Lobby when Luffy fought Blueno, he explained where he got the idea for Gear 2nd.
that page doesn't explain that though. It only says that his encounter with aokiji taught him that he needs to be stronger; that has nothing to do with how he got the idea for the gears.
Mar 14, 2015 5:14 PM

Sep 2011
JD2411 said:
Fullmetal89 said:
The idea for gears didn't come out of nowhere. If you recall during Enies Lobby when Luffy fought Blueno, he explained where he got the idea for Gear 2nd.
that page doesn't explain that though. It only says that his encounter with aokiji taught him that he needs to be stronger; that has nothing to do with how he got the idea for the gears.

I know, i linked the image to the manga I was trying to find the right page. I've edited my post.
Mar 14, 2015 5:20 PM

Jun 2012
Whew lawd, that Luffy, almost as much of a battle genius as Goku, shame neither gets much recognition in that regard. Must be the whole "Idiot Hero" thing
Mar 14, 2015 5:33 PM

Sep 2011
Kaimon said:
Whew lawd, that Luffy, almost as much of a battle genius as Goku, shame neither gets much recognition in that regard. Must be the whole "Idiot Hero" thing

They are both good at fighting that's for sure. Though I would give more credit to Luffy since he comes up with some creative ways of using his silly DF power. To be fair though, they both do some really stupid things. I still remember that one episode of Dragon Ball when Chichi tricked Goku into marriage by making him think it was a type of food.
Mar 14, 2015 5:36 PM

Nov 2010
Fullmetal89 said:
Kaimon said:

They are both good at fighting that's for sure. Though I would give more credit to Luffy since he comes up with some creative ways of using his silly DF power. To be fair though, they both do some really stupid things. I still remember that one episode of Dragon Ball when Chichi tricked Goku into marriage by making him think it was a type of food.
I still wonder how she got him interested in sex. How long do you think it took her.
Mar 14, 2015 5:44 PM

Sep 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
Fullmetal89 said:

I still wonder how she got him interested in sex. How long do you think it took her.

I'm sure lot's of whipped cream was involved...
Mar 14, 2015 5:44 PM

Nov 2010
The movies are non canon and Fullmetal's manga pages doesn't explain how he thought up gear second. It explains how he learned to use their technique soru after he had used gear second(in the page he's already smoking). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv3ZCRkmfws&feature=player_detailpage#t=593

We do not know how Luffy thought of gear second or third, he never said. Though I do remember someone saying it might have to do with the trains, idk as I haven't rewatched or read that part since so I haven't been able to pay attention.
Mar 14, 2015 7:05 PM

Jan 2014
Luffy clearly learned the gears through pain. For only through pain can a man become even greater.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Mar 14, 2015 7:14 PM

Apr 2014
Wow, new title for the thread and it's limited for Big 3 only huh?
now the only relevant thing to be discussed in this thread is endless debate between which is the best between 'em
Luffy has been shown many time that despite his reckless, thoughtless and nonchalant personality., he is afraid of dead.
from the way I see it, Luffy just trying to find a way to not get frozen, and find a way to heat-up his body but ended up enhancing his physical ability as well maybe.
tr1ckst3rMar 14, 2015 9:36 PM
Mar 14, 2015 7:16 PM

Nov 2010
tr1ckst3r said:
now the only relevant thing to be discussed in this thread is endless debate between which is the best between 'em
That's fine with me, One Piece is ichiban.

tr1ckst3r said:
Luffy has been shown many time that despite 'that', he is afraid of dead.
What does this mean?

tr1ckst3r said:
from the way I see it, Luffy just trying to find a way to not get frozen, and find a way to heat-up his body but ended up enhancing his physical ability as well maybe.
That's a possibility.
Mar 14, 2015 7:21 PM

Jun 2012
Nah man, Bleach is the best of the Big 3, you guys just hate it cuz it's the cool thing to do, you'd rather have shallow generic idiots like Luffy and Naruto and fruity villains like Obito and Doflamingo instead of #TrollGod Aizen and #EvilStache Juha Bach, shame on you Shonen thread
Mar 14, 2015 7:34 PM

Nov 2010
Wyzdm said:
IntroverTurtle said:

One Piece is easily the best of the big 3 which makes this thread boring since it's not a fair competition. Now if we had a One Piece vs FMA B vs HxH thread it would be a lot more interesting.
One Piece would still easily win.
Mar 14, 2015 7:39 PM

Jan 2015
Wyzdm said:
IntroverTurtle said:

One Piece is easily the best of the big 3 which makes this thread boring since it's not a fair competition. Now if we had a One Piece vs FMA B vs HxH thread it would be a lot more interesting.

One Piece > HxH > FMAB

HxH puts up a good fight though
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 14, 2015 7:40 PM
Jul 2018
That competition will be non-stop shitposting, especially on MAL. Definitely a more fair comparison though as they are all great but for different reasons.
Mar 14, 2015 7:50 PM

Sep 2013
Kaimon said:
Nah man, Bleach is the best of the Big 3, you guys just hate it cuz it's the cool thing to do, you'd rather have shallow generic idiots like Luffy and Naruto and fruity villains like Obito and Doflamingo instead of #TrollGod Aizen and #EvilStache Juha Bach, shame on you Shonen thread

So true :'(
His Majesty and We Dem Boyz are just on another level, makes other series villains look so weak and pathetic.

Luffy's reason for getting stronger is a straight Ichigo ripoff XD
Mar 14, 2015 7:53 PM

Feb 2013
One Piece isn't even that good. It never has been as good as Hxh and FMAB and it never EVER will be pls dont bully
Mar 14, 2015 8:01 PM
Jul 2018
Depends what you are looking for in a battle series. It surpasses both of them in many areas and vice versa.
Mar 14, 2015 8:01 PM

Nov 2010
gedata said:
One Piece isn't even that good. It never has been as good as Hxh and FMAB and it never EVER will be pls dont bully
Don't worry we don't bully people with wrong opinions. You just have to go in for re education.
Mar 14, 2015 8:04 PM

Jan 2015
ichii_1 said:

Ichigo's reason for getting stronger is a straight Luffy ripoff XD

One Piece Start: July, 97
Bleach Start: August, 01

Indeed, all you guys saying Luffy was a Ripoff of Ichigo must be mental.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 14, 2015 8:14 PM

Jun 2012
gedata said:

Senpai pls, the Marineford saga alone is better than everything in HxH except Chimera Ant
Mar 14, 2015 8:17 PM

Nov 2010
Kaimon said:
gedata said:

Casual pls, the Marineford saga alone is better than everything in HxH including Chimera Ant
Mar 14, 2015 8:31 PM

Sep 2013
Shounen Jump White Day Wallpaper
That Koro sensei thou XD

SAITAMA x UMARU CHAN

HasHash said:
ichii_1 said:

Ichigo's reason for getting stronger is a straight Luffy ripoff XD

One Piece Start: July, 97
Bleach Start: August, 01

Indeed, all you guys saying Luffy was a Ripoff of Ichigo must be mental.

I was talking about this, which came after Ichigo, nice try thou.
ichii_1Mar 14, 2015 8:37 PM
Mar 14, 2015 8:31 PM

Nov 2010
And now that I remember, LOL at the people who think the One Piece character's forgot their dream because they don't have some flashback or revelation or specifically mention it in the like week or so since they entered the New World.
Mar 14, 2015 8:37 PM

Jun 2012
Yeah they've only been in the New World for like 3 days, it's another reason why I don't understand people thinking the next arc is going to be the SHs beating a Yonko when they haven't even been in NW territory for an entire week yet
Mar 14, 2015 8:39 PM
Jul 2018
Kaimon said:
Yeah they've only been in the New World for like 3 days, it's another reason why I don't understand people thinking the next arc is going to be the SHs beating a Yonko when they haven't even been in NW territory for an entire week yet
Also the reason why I don't get why some people think they should already be getting pushed to near death in EL style. That's the fast track to Super Saiyan Kyuubi God Luffy. All of these elements are going to get gradually worked back into story just like they were gradually worked into the story in part 1.
removed-userMar 14, 2015 8:42 PM
Mar 14, 2015 8:46 PM

Nov 2010
jpem said:
Kaimon said:
Also the reason why I don't get why some people think they should already be getting pushed to near death in EL style. That's the fast track to Super Saiyan Kyuubi God Luffy. All of these elements are going to get gradually worked back into story just like they were gradually worked into the story in part 1.
It really is, those series that always have to have a way stronger enemy each time do end up going off the deep end and eventually the powerlevel doesn't matter. I like how the scope of One Piece's power level is quite stable.
Mar 14, 2015 8:46 PM

Jun 2012
Or the people in the sub-forum saying the Doflamingo Family is as bad as the New Fishman Pirates because
Mar 14, 2015 9:25 PM

Jan 2015
ichii_1 said:
I was talking about this, which came after Ichigo, nice try thou.

Nah bro, Luffy's character design and motivation was established way back when they decided he was going to be put in a pirate crew.

The psychological aspect of mutual benefit from friendship has been in OP since the very first episodes albeit showed in a subtle way.

Nice try though.
Pages (124) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime with best sound tracks!?

l_Photon_l - 12 hours ago

26 by Heavenly47 »»
5 seconds ago

» The problem with most modern anime (spoilers for some series)

Ebb1993 - 2 hours ago

12 by amarcioz »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Best character with finite mana

Catalano - 9 hours ago

15 by Stygian_Prisoner »»
22 minutes ago

» What seasonal anime had disappointed you over time this season?

Zakatsuki_ - 6 hours ago

42 by Nivo3041 »»
42 minutes ago

» Isekais that you think are actually good and why

IpreferEcchi - Sep 16

45 by Sheol01 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.