Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (54) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Apr 12, 2023 4:08 PM
Oct 2019
This episode strike a great balance of fun, intriguing and dramatic. Pretty much as close as a perfect first impression as you can get, and the anime doesn't fall too much in the old cringy tropes you can find within the idol genre.

Overall, an amazingly fresh take with a mystery twist to it. This anime seems to, so far, use the anime medium to perfection to blend realism and drama with the more out there ideas like reincarnation.
Apr 12, 2023 4:11 PM
Jul 2017
wasn't intriguing at all
Apr 12, 2023 4:13 PM

Jul 2021
I rarely find myself as immersed into something as I was watching this. Absolutely fantastic first episode! (first movie??)
Apr 12, 2023 4:15 PM
Apr 2018
"Lies will eventually become the truth"
Great prologue episode. Every detail fit iin nicely, starting from rebirth of both the babies and both being her loving fans. I loved their dynamics the humor, the serious aspects, how their different personalities gel together well, their past being brought up slowly and how they connect with it in the present. Their thought process really makes you invested. ( on a side note respect aqua, didnt want ai to nurse him to how much he adores and cares about her) 

Pretty much shed the light on the idol and entertainment industry, how ai fabricated herself on the basis of her version of "lies" and wanting to one day turn them into truth, i loved her character from the moment she had her first talk with aqua when he was still in the previous life as a doctor, her connection with the people around her with her kids, how she shone as a light for others while having a part dark side of her. The last scene her parting words, she really left a big impression for sure. Rie takashi did total justice to her character as expected. 

Not only ai i and the babys i found other characters refreshing and interesting too especially the director, i loved how he explains the film industry and  his perspective of it. Also his personality is pretty cool. The director as well and his wife too who actually got development surprisingly from being so materialistic to actually caring for the babies legitimately to the point of being their adoptive mother wiillingly. 
Coming to the plot twist by the time they showed ai calling the "father" and the stalker turning up i pretty much figured out who might be the culprit, still could be wrong in the future with how the writing is which is amazing. Also the disappearence of ai's pupil whiile she passed away, her lifeless face to the  personality change in Aqua with that expression in him going up to the director,  like great work by the director. top notch and akasaka is a genius first with kaguya sama and now oshi no ko. Now  the real story begins to find the "Father" or rather the killer,
Doga kobo did an amazing job, from the direction ,character art and design, fluid detailed  animation, ost, aethetics and color palette. My favorite shot  from the episode for real  [font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]https://imgur.com/BaEpYoh[/font]

Looking forward to the next episode. this is exciting
Apr 12, 2023 4:15 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
It's an idol anime but it got a mystery fan like me hooked.

I was wondering when the stalker would reappear after he killed Gorou, I was wondering if he was the father at first but that wouldn't make sense after seeing what his room looked like. I can't believe the father is the one that fed the information to the stalker,(hello tantei no tantei plot) like it makes no sense to be wanting to get the person you were in a relationship with to be killed..

Apr 12, 2023 4:17 PM

Jul 2013
God this anime fills me with rage, not because of the show or content but because of the things it portrays. The below pisses me off

Idol culture - cringe inducing garbage
Idol fans - in the real world they are the worst. In fact, I hate any kind of pandering to celebrities.
Idols - I don't know much about them but celebrities and the entertainment industry are full of posers and toxic bastards. I know people who directly knew some big time celebrities on my country. They are the worst human being on the planet (who don't really commit actual crimes). They have nasty, inflated egos and are just the worst. This show looks like it will showcase this quite well.

The plot is okay I guess. The rebirth thing is interesting if they expand it further. I liked the fact the MC is gonna find his/her killer's informant

As an anime first episode, it is an 8/10. And I can think of recommended it to others.
But personally I would probably give the show a 4/10 because I detest idol culture, toxic posers, fans who pander to celebrities and these kinds of rich people. I couldn't like the way her reincarnated kids are so infatuated with her (shitty fan culture). I am so angry that they studio/author has done such a good job but the premise is what I have extreme odium towards.

Apr 12, 2023 4:18 PM

Jul 2021
bro wtf lmao
i totally don't give a single fuck about the rating
+ i only watched 3 episodes of fmab and it wasn't that good
i rate anime based on how much i liked it and i don't care if any other anime that i love drop from first to fucking 1000 cause that won't effect the quality or anything about the show.
Apr 12, 2023 4:20 PM
May 2020
what a magnificent episode, had me through a spectrum of emotion and the plot catalyst was executed perfectly. might be getting ahead of myself but this has potential to be one of the anime of the year with the story laid out to us but let me not get too into it with the hype
Apr 12, 2023 4:21 PM
Jan 2023
J'ai pleuré sur le poulet
Apr 12, 2023 4:23 PM

Mar 2021
Can't say I care about the theme of the idol industry, so I'll give it a few episodes before deciding about the next move

Ai was super cute, it's a real shame she got offed lol

Ruby's past life was pretty sad ngl.

The production was great, I love the different animation style in the whole scene when Ai got knifed

Cool pilot episode, although not sure a movie length episode was the way to go.

Feels like this is the highest point this anime will reach, or does it get "even" better at some point?

Apr 12, 2023 4:25 PM

Dec 2020
As a manga reader, this 1st episode has most certainly exceeded my expectations and I'm awestruck by how almost perfect this 1st episode was as an adaptation.

I'm willing to say that this 1st ep was better than the first 10 chapters of the manga and Doga kobo has definitely surprised me. When I first heard that the adaptation was by Doga kobo, I was a little disappointed and worried as to how well they will be able to adapt this cause I've only seen cutesy romcom anime from the studio, but It seems I underestimated them.

I was worried if they would be able adapt the amazing artstyle of the manga by Yokoyari sensei, but this 1st ep was prettier than anything I imagined.

They also adapted the story and emotions from the manga perfectly and I genuinely have nothing bad to say about this adaptation.

Also the new Yoasobi song bangs.

So, in short as a manga to anime adaptation, this is perfect.
L-Arc-en-CielApr 12, 2023 4:30 PM

Apr 12, 2023 4:26 PM
Feb 2023
MugiwaraJopa said:
Can't say I care about the theme of the idol industry, so I'll give it a few episodes before deciding about the next move

The production was great, I love the different animation style in the whole scene when Ai got knifed

Feels like this is the highest point this anime will reach, or does it get "even" better at some point?

If you want my answer on this as I read the manga and answer honestly.

There are good points afterwards but it does reach a peak and stops progressing afterwards as well as forgetting its own identity. As in there are pointless storyplot points, it’s a writer problem as he was writing Kaguya at the time.
Apr 12, 2023 4:29 PM

Mar 2021
Confused_100 said:
MugiwaraJopa said:

There are good points afterwards but it does reach a peak and stops progressing afterwards as well as forgetting its own identity. As in there are pointless storyplot points, it’s a writer problem as he was writing Kaguya at the time.
Aw man, I hate when that happens. Can you guess if the anime will possibly stop before it reaches the peak, or the bad parts?

Apr 12, 2023 4:32 PM
Feb 2012
On one hand, this is probably the best fist episode I've seen, ever.
On the other, I really can't see the show keep up with what they offered us in this feature length episode.

I'm going to continue, fully expecting to be disappointed and probably drop it by episode 6 or so. 
For now, it's probably the easiest 10/10 I've ever given.
Apr 12, 2023 4:35 PM
Feb 2022
This episode was better than I expected and I even cried watching this and I usually dont feel any emotion when watching animes
Apr 12, 2023 4:38 PM

Dec 2015
Somehow they managed to make this shot even more traumatizing compared to the manga omg

Apr 12, 2023 4:39 PM
Jan 2021
what an amazing episode a lot of mixed fellings and it really hooked me up

Mar 2018
It was pretty awesome episode. I loved it so much and I didn't get enough from it. I'm pretty excited for watching the other episodes and to see what'll happen next and how it's going to end. I wished that Ai will have a happy ending with her children, but not everything we wish for can get😭

Oct 2018
What an absolutely fantastic premiere. As a manga reader, I was a bit scared regarding the movie format as I felt some scenes would not hit as hard due to a faster pace. But in the end, I still ended up crying. The VA work was so amazing, especially Rieri knocked it out of the park as Ai. The music was also excellent as expected from an "idol" show. And damn, while I never had any doubts about Doga Kobo, they really came out swinging for this. I remember people being worried that they only made SoL shows and were not a good fit for the material. Well, I hope they are satisfied now. 

All in all, one of the best 1st episode I have seen, if you can call it an episode. 10/10
Apr 12, 2023 4:40 PM

Apr 2016
AOTY. I'm blown away. This is one of the most original premises I've ever seen. A perfect one-shot honestly.
Apr 12, 2023 4:46 PM

Feb 2019
damn that hit hard
Apr 12, 2023 4:47 PM

Feb 2019
Doga Kobo will finally get the respect it deserves after adaptation that amazing. Beautiful episode that somehow surpassed the manga a little.
mlem

Also read Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso wo Kasaneru (Bless Botan)
Apr 12, 2023 4:54 PM
Feb 2023
MugiwaraJopa said:
Confused_100 said:

Aw man, I hate when that happens. Can you guess if the anime will possibly stop before it reaches the peak, or the bad parts?

It all depends really, if the last episode isn’t a long one, then no. It also depends if they are gonna adapt every chapter or not after this. The thing which will change is the tone of series. There will be still dark elements here and there but it won’t be a main theme.

I don’t want to spoil anything but you know, i think the expectations are off the roof after this episode. So all I can say keep your expectations low. You will feel/see it when it reaches peak. It’s hard to miss it.
Apr 12, 2023 4:55 PM

Oct 2018
It was a great "movie", very clever on the part of the producers to turn the prologue into a film, very emotional and that's the highlight of Oshi no Ko, unfortunately we reached the peak right at the beginning, from here on the level will decline. Let's enjoy it while we can.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Apr 2022
MugiwaraJopa said:
Confused_100 said:

Keep in mind that I’m not sure this dude is a manga reader, he has no entry on his account. But then again the main reason I’d say that is probably because they don’t know what they are talking about. Expect plenty more peaks to come including probably one of the highest still to come this season! Also the highest one will probably come in s2. Every arc remains interesting imo and it always stays consistently good with very minimal dips in quality
Oct 2017
Amazing. The most unique story ever. Anime of the millenium.
Apr 12, 2023 4:58 PM
Apr 2022
Confused_100 said:
MugiwaraJopa said:

It all depends really, if the last episode isn’t a long one, then no. It also depends if they are gonna adapt every chapter or not after this. The thing which will change is the tone of series. There will be still dark elements here and there but it won’t be a main theme.

I don’t want to spoil anything but you know, i think the expectations are off the roof after this episode. So all I can say keep your expectations low. You will feel/see it when it reaches peak. It’s hard to miss it.
The darkness was never the theme bruh… it’s more about celebrating the entertainment industry while also taking a very realistic look at all the stuff they try to kick under the carpet and keep in the dark. Just because it has dark moments doesn’t mean the series’ main theme is just how dark it is, if you read the manga I don’t think you properly comprehended the themes
Apr 12, 2023 4:59 PM
Feb 2023
marcus-beta said:
Confused_100 said:

I didnot even look at your MAL account. I am genuinely asking though because answering these questions will answer if you are gonna like the rest of this series or not.
I like anything, rom-com, shounen, slice of life, isekai, seinen or shoujo, useless protagonist, overpowered protagonist, whatever, if I think is good so that's fine as long I have fun while reading or watching.

Okay then, hope you have fun. Just dial down the “provoking” a bit, if possible. This anime is still starting, and We don’t know if this quality will stay the same. So it’s better to just enjoy it for what it is.
Apr 12, 2023 5:01 PM

Oct 2022
An amazingly wonderful show, 11/10. But God damn if it ain't a bad idea to watch it if you're in a dark place.

If this doesn't make you cry then you have no heart.
Apr 12, 2023 5:07 PM
Aug 2020
It was really perfect, I was not ready to enjoy that much. I totally felt in love with the characters, the story was really good. Same thing for the soundtracks.

I rarely put 10 after one episode, but this one deserves to be a must watch.
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Apr 12, 2023 5:10 PM
Feb 2023
Rimusimp said:
Confused_100 said:

The darkness was never the theme bruh… it’s more about celebrating the entertainment industry while also taking a very realistic look at all the stuff they try to kick under the carpet and keep in the dark. Just because it has dark moments doesn’t mean the series’ main theme is just how dark it is, if you read the manga I don’t think you properly comprehended the themes

The themes weren’t rom-com either. So to pretend that it was always a rom-com is not comprehending the themes at all. Also to have pointless story plot points, doesn’t help it. It serves to say “Writer doesn’t know how to continue so he will make some bloat until he thinks of something”.

In Kaguya, most ppl will ignore that point as one of its main themes is comedy. Comedies get a pass for fluff. This has a murder mystery (you and I know it was one of the most interesting plot points until well you know). This should show the corruption of modern entertainment in Japan especially but this gets sidelined. Characters? Only one gets an actual development, rest? Had premise until they just don’t. Guess which character I am talking about? Almost everyone here says the name.

If you say Aqua? I am sorry but how is “edgelord” and acting “stupid” in alot and I mean alot of unnecessary parts considered good development? It forgets how it started and what themes it needs to focus on. It turns to rom-com formula because that’s where writer feels more comfortable. He only takes risks when he has a plan. It’s a flaw along with him writing Kaguya in the time didnot help. Anyways hope I made my point across.
Apr 12, 2023 5:10 PM
Jan 2020
No way I really cried man
Apr 12, 2023 5:11 PM

Jan 2021
I've been following the series for a while since I discovered it was made by Aka Akasaka, the creator of Kaguya-Sama, probably one of my favorite anime/manga ever (as if my profile didn't hint at that already), and I came in with some concern when it came to how they would adapt the manga, and after watching the almost feature-length episode (goddamn), I can say that it was worth it.

It's been a while since I read the manga so my memory is a bit blurry when it comes to the events, but at least the benefit of that is that I got to reexperience the start of this great story all over again, and while I was worried that the adaptation would be another average anime, it just kept on kicking me in the face with great shot after great shot, so much that I even had to pause at some moments and rewatch...

Every other aspect aside from the animation was also really great. While at first I had some whiplash from the color choices compared to how I imagined the characters in the manga, all that dissapeared completely once I actually got well invested in the episode. The music was also pretty good, although I'm not too big into idol culture, the music in the episode did it's job, as well as some of the non-idol tracks.

Overall, I am incredibly happy with how this episode turned out (so much in fact that I already gave the series a 9/10, which is something I pretty much never do with anime that haven't finished airing). I'm glad that this adaptation and the wonderful duo behind the original manga (Akasaka and Mengo) are getting all the love they deserve. The anime is probably gonna plummet in ratings sooner or later because that's just how things roll, but I'm at least happy that Akasaka is on the path of going from "the kaguya guy" to a well respected writer/artist in the animanga community, and even if he doesn't, he's getting plenty of love from the people adapting his works.
Can't wait for the next episode!
PFP from Kaguya-Sama: Love is War (Chapter 107) and colored by yours truly
Apr 12, 2023 5:11 PM
Jul 2022
Long but not long enough felt like 20 minutes. Best stuff I've seen in years though.
Apr 12, 2023 5:12 PM
Apr 2022
Confused_100 said:
Rimusimp said:

The themes weren’t rom-com either. So to pretend that it was always a rom-com is not comprehending the themes at all. Also to have pointless story plot points, doesn’t help it. It serves to say “Writer doesn’t know how to continue so he will make some bloat until he thinks of something”.

In Kaguya, most ppl will ignore that point as one of its main themes is comedy. Comedies get a pass for fluff. This has a murder mystery (you and I know it was one of the most interesting plot points until well you know). This should show the corruption of modern entertainment in Japan especially but this gets sidelined. Characters? Only one gets an actual development, rest? Had premise until they just don’t. Guess which character I am talking about? Almost everyone here says the name.

If you say Aqua? I am sorry but how is “edgelord” and acting “stupid” in alot and I mean alot of unnecessary parts considered good development? It forgets how it started and what themes it needs to focus on. It turns to rom-com formula because that’s where writer feels more comfortable. He only takes risks when he has a plan. It’s a flaw along with him writing Kaguya in the time didnot help. Anyways hope I made my point across.
I’m not gonna argue with you, i just wanted to keep anime onlys from letting people like you cause them to worry that the series will ever go down in quality! If you don’t like it cool but most people including myself will and do
Apr 12, 2023 5:12 PM

Nov 2018
I'm totally speechless, crying out loud, memorable moments,and lastly magnificent for the Episode 1..
Apr 12, 2023 5:13 PM

Nov 2011
I was going into this thinking "How could they make Ai's death more impactful for me...a manga reader?"

God damn. That Music...that voice acting...perfection.

One my biggest things I loved was the color transitioning in the eyes when something was happening whether good or bad. So fucking good.

Loved the direction of this. WELL deserved 10/10
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 12, 2023 5:15 PM
Apr 2021
that was one of the best anime experiences possibly ever
Apr 12, 2023 5:17 PM
Apr 2023
Movie format was perfect otherwise most people would have dropped it after the reincarnation angle. I have friends that refuse to even pick the series up after reading a synopsis and refused to put away their bias. 

That aside, the anime was phenomenal. I didn't watch a single trailer for the series and wanted to see the magic unfold on the episode itself and man the art and animation does the manga justice. I figured the death scene would not bother me as I had already experienced it but the geez it never gets easier. The voice work was perfect, it's a shame that Rie was used on a character that gets offed though, I honestly wanted her to voice Ruby.

100/10 anime. I hope the quality doesn't drop after episode 1 
Apr 12, 2023 5:21 PM
Feb 2023
Rimusimp said:
Confused_100 said:

I’m not gonna argue with you, i just wanted to keep anime onlys from letting people like you cause them to worry that the series will ever go down in quality! If you don’t like it cool but most people including myself will and do

Oh, thought you were denying the themes but whatever. Alot of ppl here are expecting AOT levels of writing and hard themes… What do you expect them to act when they see it isn’t? I am managing expectations here. You want another CSM kind of outbreak? Atleast with CSM S2, if it airs, I won’t need to manage anything. Here? Cool your thing though. Have fun with it.
Apr 12, 2023 5:26 PM
Jan 2017
I came to score this during the ending credits. Hearing an after credits scene beginning, I clicked back. Now I am crying again.
This piece of the story is one of the most powerful dramas EVER in my life.
Apr 12, 2023 5:27 PM

Jul 2020
Absolutely perfect first episode. The manga prologue was already stunning and this adaptation has just lifted it up to new levels of awesomeness. Beautiful animation, great soundtrack (including insert songs and OP) and an even more impressive story and characters. This is definitely the new series to watch this season.
Apr 12, 2023 5:28 PM

Dec 2010
throughout the episode didnt really paint ai in a good light, for someone whose been abandoned as a parent and wants to be a "good parent" and give as much love to her kids, why she choose to be a single mother

almost didnt pity her but that death face she made was really fucking sad to see, both disturbing and sad.
once it got to the revenge part then the show piqued my interests more
Apr 12, 2023 5:29 PM
Oct 2020
I had to stop the episode more then 20 times to keep my excitement from overflowing.
This is pure flawless perfected star-shining episode.
Apr 12, 2023 5:31 PM
Aug 2020
Went in blind. Got my brain blown to shreds. FUCKING FANTASTIC
Apr 12, 2023 5:32 PM

Nov 2018
I didn't know anything about this going into the first episode and I would say its one of the best first episodes in an anime period.
Apr 12, 2023 5:34 PM

Feb 2017
i am speechless. i kinda dreaded watching a 1.5 hour long first episode but i take that back as i wasn't bored even once. damn

placeholder text
Apr 12, 2023 5:36 PM
Mar 2023
Firstly even though this Manga is one i had been following for a while and was greatly anticipating this anime i did stop following the anime knowing it wasn't long before it would be out, so i didn't anticipate an hour long premier. I was blown away, the animation, the art, the choreography, the voice acting, the level of detail and even a little added content for spice. It was all perfect, well even beyond so in some scenes, like a specific character's final scene was way more intense than the Manga.

This is one people are not ready for, if everything goes as well as it did in this episode it will easily be a 10/10.

Dec 2022

I went this super blind and Y'know what i'm too speechless to think abt my opinion on this first 1 hour+ episode cause err this episode mentally broke me thanks a lot Oshi no Ko ^_^

Overall this is already peakest fiction of peak fiction other than that yeh but holy hell wth is the score on this anime overarching 9.36 ranking 1st as of rn that's ridiculous asf xd

Dec 2020
Actually good, i read the manga and yeah that was good
Pages (54) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What do you think of Kana Arima? ( 1 2 )

Fischer77 - Oct 16, 2023

69 by Mmmnmn »»
Jun 13, 10:28 PM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Jun 28, 2023

684 by gannoncannon55 »»
Jun 13, 9:16 PM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Softhenic03 - Jun 21, 2023

294 by gannoncannon55 »»
Jun 13, 8:46 PM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2023

310 by gannoncannon55 »»
Jun 13, 8:24 PM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2023

398 by gannoncannon55 »»
Jun 13, 12:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.