Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Oct 18, 2012 9:13 PM

Jun 2009
meepsheep said:

AirStyles said:
Guilty Crown at least have very memorable music and animation.

Not saying SAO's music is bad, but the music in this show are easily the worst Kajiura Yuki's work I've ever heard.

I've only watched one episode of GC but I can already say the music and animation are wayyyy better than SAO or most anime I've seen. SAO's music is decent at the best but not memorable at all.

I know right?

My brother don't even like anime that much and watch very limited anime.

When I hum anime song when making coffee, "That sound somewhat familiar" are the response I usually gets from my brother if the song is from an anime I showed him.

When I hum "Bios" while making coffee, he freaking sung the rest of it(And I've just hum the first 3 sound), and it's been a year since he saw Guilty Crown.

That's what you call memorable music.
AirStylesOct 18, 2012 9:26 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2012 9:24 PM

May 2011
SetsukoHara said:
azbc1209 said:
SetsukoHara said:
Takana_no_Hana said:
yes nothing in FMAB can be considered as fillers.

The first episode of FMAB is a filler...

It's not a filler when it introduced the characters of the series to the audience, nuff said.

Was it in the original manga? NO, thus it is a filler, that's the definition of the term...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Filler
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Oct 18, 2012 11:17 PM

Nov 2009
AirStyles said:

Even if the plot turned worst, but its music and animation were top note, it's so hard to ignore GC, you know. So I don't really care about the plot much. Just watch for whatever it has.

I would recommend GC to new anime viewer, cause if they don't watch it, they will miss out something entertaining in anime market today.
Oct 18, 2012 11:26 PM

Jun 2009
Takana_no_Hana said:
AirStyles said:

I know right?

My brother don't even like anime that much and watch very limited anime.

When I hum anime song when making coffee, "That sound somewhat familiar" are the response I usually gets from my brother if the song is from an anime I showed him.

When I hum "Bios" while making coffee, he freaking sung the rest of it(And I've just hum the first 3 sound), and it's been a year since he saw Guilty Crown.

That's what you call memorable music.

Even if the plot turned worst, but its music and animation were top note, it's so hard to ignore GC, you know. So I don't really care about the plot much. Just watch for whatever it has.

I would recommend GC to new anime viewer, cause if they don't watch it, they will miss out something entertaining in anime market today.

Sadly, I can't say the same for SAO.

EDIT: Actually scratch that, I think MMORPG player will enjoy SAO regardless of it's quality.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2012 11:33 PM

Nov 2009
Hmm not really, I wouldn't recommend Madoka, Steins;Gate to anyone who just new to anime or don't know what anime is. Either way, when I first started watching anime, I was looking for something entertaining and nice in visuals, music and the plot comes later.

As SAO is one of those anime which is easy to watch (especially the first episode, both GC and SAO have attractive 1st episode, meanwhile shows like Steins;Gate requires patient). Story is interesting, good char designs (although novel looks better), music is also fine (unless you've watched most ani in which music is composed by Yuki).

But if you're seriously into anime, then it's another story.
Takana_no_HanaOct 18, 2012 11:39 PM
Oct 18, 2012 11:39 PM

Jun 2009
Takana_no_Hana said:
Hmm not really, I wouldn't recommend Madoka, Steins;Gate to anyone who just new to anime or don't know what anime is. Either way, when I first started watching anime, I was looking for something entertaining and nice in visuals, music and the plot comes later.

As SAO is one of those anime which is easy to watch. Story is interesting, good char designs (although novel looks better), music is also fine (unless you've watched most ani in which music is composed by Yuki).

But if you're seriously into anime, then it's another story.

Yeah I guess... Haruhi didn't dragged me into anime, but Shana did. (Though Haruhi is the much better show)

Gateway shows are gateway shows. And I guess SAO serve it's purpose by being a simple, easy to understand gateway show, no need to be good/smart, just need to... "Stimulate" the new fans.

Much like Naruto and Bleach.

Hey, we fixed the derailed thread... Good job us.
Oct 19, 2012 1:07 AM

Apr 2009
AirStyles said:

Gateway shows are gateway shows. And I guess SAO serve it's purpose by being a simple, easy to understand gateway show, no need to be good/smart, just need to... "Stimulate" the new fans.

I always thought people got into anime with stuff like Lupin, Cowboy Bebop, Dragonball, Doraemon, etc...
But if a new generation just wants visuals and doesn't care about anything else, then it is no wonder the quality of the writing has degraded so much.
Problem is that GC and SAO are really bad when it comes down to the story compared to other entry tier stuff.
NidhoeggrOct 19, 2012 1:14 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Oct 19, 2012 1:45 AM

Dec 2011
Takana_no_Hana said:

This. A lot of peoples (especially mans) cannot understand a simple shoujo like Anohana or Naruto. My friends said S;G is boring, Anohana is too fast, CG has no drama, HOTD isn't cliche...

Sorry for my bad English
Oct 19, 2012 1:53 AM

Jun 2009
Nidhoeggr said:
AirStyles said:

I always thought people got into anime with stuff like Lupin, Cowboy Bebop, Dragonball, Doraemon, etc...
But if a new generation just wants visuals and doesn't care about anything else, then it is no wonder the quality of the writing has degraded so much.
Problem is that GC and SAO are really bad when it comes down to the story compared to other entry tier stuff.

It's not that the new generation just want visuals and doesn't care about anything else, but the new ones aren't exposed to enough to begin with. They still view anime as a "exciting stimulant" instead of a "story".

I mean, I thought that Shakugan no Shana was the best anime ever created when I first started. (That's my gateway). And right now, I'm here criticizing SAO for it's writing.

It's exposure.

About GC and SAO.

Again, people are just looking for stimulus, not good writing. Isn't that why Twilight and Transformers are a great success despite being stupidly mediocre?

Without a shadow of a doubt, GC and SAO's writing are average at best.
GC however, do excelled at music and animation, I'm not going deny them that, but I'll always say the story could've been much better.. If one is to ask me whether the show is good, I'd tell them that it's look nice and have good music, but not the best written story.

It's quite obvious that most SAO fans are former Naruto/Bleach fans, kids, easily impressed crowd and MMORPG players anyways.

In short, SAO is the Twilight/Transformers of Anime, mediocre, but great popularity.

About writing.
I'm not sure about whether writing have degraded, because even today, i occasionally found shows that I really think are great. Jinrui Suitai is one of them, there's also Steins;Gate.

Sure, I can only name 2 in a 2 year time frame. Can you name more than 10 shows that are at Evengelion and Bebop's level in the 90's era? I think you'd struggle too.

There are good shows out there, we just have to slap aside the bad ones.
Oct 19, 2012 2:34 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
AirStyles said:

It's not that the new generation just want visuals and doesn't care about anything else, but the new ones aren't exposed to enough to begin with. They still view anime as a "exciting stimulant" instead of a "story".

I mean, I thought that Shakugan no Shana was the best anime ever created when I first started. (That's my gateway). And right now, I'm here criticizing SAO for it's writing.

It's exposure.

About GC and SAO.

Again, people are just looking for stimulus, not good writing. Isn't that why Twilight and Transformers are a great success despite being stupidly mediocre?

Without a shadow of a doubt, GC and SAO's writing are average at best.
GC however, do excelled at music and animation, I'm not going deny them that, but I'll always say the story could've been much better.. If one is to ask me whether the show is good, I'd tell them that it's look nice and have good music, but not the best written story.

It's quite obvious that most SAO fans are former Naruto/Bleach fans, kids, easily impressed crowd and MMORPG players anyways.

In short, SAO is the Twilight/Transformers of Anime, mediocre, but great popularity.

About writing.
I'm not sure about whether writing have degraded, because even today, i occasionally found shows that I really think are great. Jinrui Suitai is one of them, there's also Steins;Gate.

Sure, I can only name 2 in a 2 year time frame. Can you name more than 10 shows that are at Evengelion and Bebop's level in the 90's era? I think you'd struggle too.

There are good shows out there, we just have to slap aside the bad ones.

A lot of that is still opinion though. I really liked the GC story. I saw nothing wrong with it at all. SAO's story isn't trying to be as advanced as GC tried to be and there is nothing wrong with that. The SAO story is more simple, but I still liked it. Jinrui was just clever at best. It had pretty much no storyline at all and used parody as its key element. Not even sure how you consider that great writing. I thought it as mediocre at best, but I can definitely see the overall appeal. It was clever, pretty, cute and had great voice acting. I didn't find it funny, but I'm sure a lot of people did. That just isn't my type of anime. No way I'd call that top of the line writing though. Not even close. Stein's Gate was very good writing. Jinrui used parody tricks.
Oct 19, 2012 2:36 AM
Oct 2012
AirStyles said:
hurr

Every work of fiction that has romance and fights in them is just like Twilight.
Am I doing it right?
Oct 19, 2012 3:05 AM

Jun 2009
KingYoshi said:

A lot of that is still opinion though. I really liked the GC story. I saw nothing wrong with it at all. SAO's story isn't trying to be as advanced as GC tried to be and there is nothing wrong with that. The SAO story is more simple, but I still liked it. Jinrui was just clever at best. It had pretty much no storyline at all and used parody as its key element. Not even sure how you consider that great writing. I thought it as mediocre at best, but I can definitely see the overall appeal. It was clever, pretty, cute and had great voice acting. I didn't find it funny, but I'm sure a lot of people did. That just isn't my type of anime. No way I'd call that top of the line writing though. Not even close. Stein's Gate was very good writing. Jinrui used parody tricks.

Jinrui's main attraction is not it's parody. But the messages it carries.

If you watch the show properly, you'll notice they dive deep into human emotion, societal problems, religion, power and the likes, even pop-culture (As seen in Douruishi episode). More so, they did it with while adding in humor. The show also tackles a lot of hypocrisy, denial among people.

Episode 10 covers a big part of "structuring a culture" Watch that episode, great stuff.

Watashi's voice acting is superb in the show, she's very quirky, sarcastic inner-dialog etc. She is very unique as a female character.(try naming 3 female character that's like her) Most of all, she felt more "real" than a lot of recently written character.

"Humanity have decline" is the title.
The title is not a name, it's not a phase a character said, nor is it a name of a place. But the underlying message of the show. The show pokes a lot of fun at how society operates.

If you're been watching it as a comedy/parody, you're not quite getting the show. (sadly, majority of the people seem to think this even among Jinrui fans.)

Jinrui may look like a comedy show, but in reality, it is much deeper show.

whatever123456 said:
AirStyles said:
hurr

Every work of fiction that has romance and fights in them is just like Twilight.
Am I doing it right?

Did you drop out of school? Or are you just retarded?

Errr... Not quite...

But for what you're trying to do though... Yup, you're doing it right, your account definitely served the purpose of supporting SAO. Feel proud, for a moment there, I lost a lil faith in humanity.

Though I can see we're not on the same page when it comes to SAO, but seeing that you're new here, I'm not surprise at all.

Anyways
Welcome to MAL. Be sure to check out other shows too, there are a lot of show other than SAO.
AirStylesOct 19, 2012 3:20 AM
Oct 19, 2012 3:17 AM
Oct 2012
AirStyles said:
ad hominem shit

I just created this account because someone showed me a thread and I couldn't stand all this misinformation.
But I guess you have to be on MAL to have watched anime, right?
According to your profile, you are not underage, so why do you type and argue like a 14 year old?
Your whole point basically was "it is a popular romance with some fights, so it's Twilight".
Oct 19, 2012 3:24 AM

Jun 2009
whatever123456 said:
AirStyles said:
ad hominem shit

I just created this account because someone showed me a thread and I couldn't stand all this misinformation.
But I guess you have to be on MAL to have watched anime, right?
According to your profile, you are not underage, so why do you type and argue like a 14 year old?
Your whole point basically was "it is a popular romance with some fights, so it's Twilight".

1. Exactly as I said, your account served it's purpose, welcome to MAL. And yes, you're new here.
2. I never said you have to be in MAL to watch anime. Where did you get that idea?
3. I am 23 years old and I'm not arguing, I'm just stating the truth about this show. It's averagely written, and it's popular.
4. If you actually think my message was "it is a popular romance with some fights, so it's Twilight"... Then I suggest you to read more books or stay in school.

5. Misinformation? What is the "misinformation" you mentioned that's so great you're willing to create an account here. I'm sure it'll be an interesting subject for us to "debate" over
AirStylesOct 19, 2012 3:32 AM
Oct 19, 2012 3:32 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
AirStyles said:
KingYoshi said:

Jinrui's main attraction is not it's parody. But the messages it carries.

If you watch the show properly, you'll notice they dive deep into human emotion, societal problems, religion, power and the likes, even pop-culture (As seen in Douruishi episode). More so, they did it with while adding in humor. The show also tackles a lot of hypocrisy, denial among people.

Episode 10 covers a big part of "structuring a culture" Watch that episode, great stuff.

Watashi's voice acting is superb in the show, she's very quirky, sarcastic inner-dialog etc. She is very unique as a female character.(try naming 3 female character that's like her) Most of all, she felt more "real" than a lot of recently written character.

"Humanity have decline" is the title.
The title is not a name, it's not a phase a character said, nor is it a name of a place. But the underlying message of the show. The show pokes a lot of fun at how society operates.

If you're been watching it as a comedy/parody, you're not quite getting the show. (sadly, majority of the people seem to think this even among Jinrui fans.)

Jinrui may look like a comedy show, but in reality, it is much deeper show.

First off, it is definitely a parody. Parody=/=comedy. Its not a comedy, but it has humor in it, which I didn't find funny.

The voice acting was definitely great, the highlight of the show for sure. I agree there.

I also understand the ridiculous undertones and hidden messages this anime is showing. I don't see the world the same way the writer does, so much of this holds no merit to me. It only dives deep into human emotion if you think it does. As human emotion does not have one collective standard. Its not at all that I don't understand what the writer was trying to convey, its that I don't agree/see things as the writer does. You obviously do, so you liked it. I didn't, so I thought it was mediocre. Especially the writing and there were loads of parody tricks used to seem extra clever. Though I did think at times the anime was clever for sure. As a whole, it was in the 5-6 for me. Just because someone doesn't like this anime, doesn't mean they didn't "get it" or understand it. Its not like it was hard to "get" in the first place.
Oct 19, 2012 3:39 AM
Oct 2012

1. Exactly as I said, your account served it's purpose, welcome to MAL. And yes, you're new here.

How is me being new here relevant to the discussion?

2. I never said you have to be in MAL to watch anime. Where did you get that idea?

Right here.

Welcome to MAL. Be sure to check out other shows too, there are a lot of show other than SAO.

3. I am 23 years old and I'm not arguing, I'm just stating the truth about this show. It's averagely written, and it's popular.

Almost every single post you made is some "my opinion is a fact" bullshit or claims without sources.
I agree, it's averagely written, and it's popular.
What do you care? You are free to express your opinion, but you take that whole "stop liking what I don't like" a little too far.

4. If you actually think my message was "it is a popular romance with some fights, so it's Twilight"... Then I suggest you read to more books or stay in school.

I don't want to be a grammar nazi, but your last sentence was quite ironic.
Also, I read quite a lot and have finished school 5 years ago, but that is irrelevant to this discussion and was just a random insult on your part, further showing your inability to argue without resorting to such things.
And here the quote where you say "overrated and popular = Twilight".

5. Misinformation? What is the "misinformation" you mentioned that's so great you're willing to create an account here. I'm sure it'll be an interesting subject for us to "debate"

Supposed "plotholes" and other made up stuff about the novels.
Oct 19, 2012 3:43 AM

Jun 2009
KingYoshi said:

First off, it is definitely a parody. Parody=/=comedy. Its not a comedy, but it has humor in it, which I didn't find funny.

The voice acting was definitely great, the highlight of the show for sure. I agree there.

I also understand the ridiculous undertones and hidden messages this anime is showing. I don't see the world the same way the writer does, so much of this holds no merit to me. It only dives deep into human emotion if you think it does. As human emotion does not have one collective standard. Its not at all that I don't understand what the writer was trying to convey, its that I don't agree/see things as the writer does. You obviously do, so you liked it. I didn't, so I thought it was mediocre. Especially the writing and there were loads of parody tricks used to seem extra clever. Though I did think at times the anime was clever for sure. As a whole, it was in the 5-6 for me. Just because someone doesn't like this anime, doesn't mean they didn't "get it" or understand it. Its not like it was hard to "get" in the first place.

" I don't see the world the same way the writer does, so much of this holds no merit to me"
"You obviously do, so you liked it"
"I didn't, so I thought it was mediocre"
"Just because someone doesn't like this anime, doesn't mean they didn't "get it" or understand it"

In other word, you don't get the humor, so you don't find it entertaining. Thus you rate it by your preference, not credit.

"Its not like it was hard to "get" in the first place"
I do agree with this, which is why I'm puzzled with the number of people who don't

whatever123456 said:

1. I'm just saying you're new here. Which is true. Nothing more, nothing less. (Did I offended you somehow by typing that?)

2. I'm just welcoming you, and informing you that there are other shows outside of SAO in case you don't know. A lot of people are here to look for new anime and the likes, as well as finding similar anime to their favorites.

3. I never mentioned. "Don't like SAO cuz I hate it", I'm merely stating it's faults like any other disappointed viewer would. (A lot of my friends love Bleach)

EDIT: I don't think I took it far either, because I don't go around quoting others and replace them with gibberish such as "hurrr" and start putting words in people's mouth.

4. My opinion are not facts, I always type "imo" when I'm typing my opinions.

I didn't say overrated + popular = Twilight

I'm just saying that it can be compared to Twilight. Because of how it's overrated and popular. Which you agreed, that it's badly written (Oh look, we agreed that's it's popular and overrated, just like Twilight)

Those random insults with strikes on them? Those are strikes joke, a feature that is often use when you're joking on the site. And no, I don't spread random insult.

I've argued with some of the most arrogant people on the site several years back, if anything, I learn that debating, or what some call "arguing" without a supporting argument/logic = automatic losses.

Never once was I quoted for insulting anime randomly other than the time people misquoted me or put words in my mouth.

5. Mind to elaborate on some of the anime "plot holes?"
AirStylesOct 19, 2012 4:05 AM
Oct 19, 2012 4:04 AM
Oct 2012

1. I'm just saying you're new here. Which is true. Nothing more, nothing less. (Did I offend you somehow by typing that?)

2. I'm just welcoming you, and informing you that there are other shows outside of SAO in case you don't know. A lot of people are here to look for new anime and the likes, as well as finding similar anime to their favorites.

Your post about my account was obviously derogative.
Don't even try to deny it, let's just drop this.

3. I never mentioned. "Don't like SAO cuz I hate it", I'm merely stating it's faults like any other disappointed viewer would. (A lot of my friends love Bleach)

Not really, you are trying to make legitimate fans look bad by comparing SAO to Twilight/Transformers for no other reason than its popularity and claiming that a lot of the fans are Naruto/Bleach fans without giving any statistics or source on this claim.

I'm just saying that it can be compared to Twilight. Because of how it's overrated and popular. Which you agreed, that it's badly written (Oh look, we agreed)

Ctrl+f "imo" and "my opinion" on the last 5 pages: 0 results

Yes you did say exactly that.

I didn't say the writing was bad, I said it was mediocre.

Mind to elaborate on the "plot holes?"

-How can they survive 2 years without eating
-how did he get resurrected
-deus ex machina
etc
The LN as well as the adaption have many flaws, plotholes are not one of them.
Oct 19, 2012 4:05 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
AirStyles said:

" I don't see the world the same way the writer does, so much of this holds no merit to me"
"Just because someone doesn't like this anime, doesn't mean they didn't "get it" or understand it"

In other word, you don't get the humor, so you don't find it entertaining. Thus you rate it by your preference, not credit.

No. Credit? So, if some guy creates an anime based off ideals that I get, but don't believe to be true, I should still give credit? Come on now. Don't you see how ridiculous that sounds? I said it was clever at times, but that doesn't make it good.

The whole entire basis of a show like this is the creator/writer's opinion on society and human emotion, etc. I can see the writer's opinions within the show, thus "getting" it. I just don't agree with his opinion. Or think that it is an amazing revolutionary way to express it.

For an off the wall example, if I created a show that cleverly conveyed my opinion through hidden messages/themes, parodies, and parody tricks that "all of humanity hated themselves on a deep subconscious level without even realizing it" it makes it good writing? No, no. Its a style of writing that isn't used as often, yes, but automatically good? No way. That would be a ridiculous notion that I don't agree with. That is the problem with an anime like this and it is why they are pretty unique. If you don't agree with the messages or think they are funny or think they are even relevant (certain ones), then it doesn't make it good.

Do you think that any writing that carries a "hidden" message or theme is good? They are everywhere and in almost every form of media.

I'm not trying to say that no one should like Jinrui. I'm just saying that the writing in anime like this aims to please only those that agree with it. So, I understand completely if you liked/loved the anime, but this style of writing is overrated in my opinion. The writing is so much more of an accomplishment in Stein's Gate than it is in Jinrui.

EDIT: I hope to god you didn't describe "How can they survive 2 years without eating" as a plot hole. Please tell me you didn't say that.
KingYoshiOct 19, 2012 4:10 AM
Oct 19, 2012 4:29 AM
Feb 2012
GC animation & music was great, plot < horse ___t.
Oct 19, 2012 4:30 AM

Jun 2009
whatever123456 said:

Your post about my account was obviously derogative.
Don't even try to deny it, let's just drop this.

Not really, you are trying to make legitimate fans look bad by comparing SAO to Twilight/Transformers for no other reason than its popularity and claiming that a lot of the fans are Naruto/Bleach fans without giving any statistics or source on this claim.

I'm just saying that it can be compared to Twilight. Because of how it's overrated and popular. Which you agreed, that it's badly written (Oh look, we agreed)

Ctrl+f "imo" and "my opinion" on the last 5 pages: 0 results

Yes you did say exactly that.

I didn't say the writing was bad, I said it was mediocre.

Mind to elaborate on the "plot holes?"

-How can they survive 2 years without eating
-how did he get resurrected
-deus ex machina
etc
The LN as well as the adaption have many flaws, plotholes are not one of them.

1 and 2. That is your opinion.

3 I'm not trying to make them look bad, I'm just telling them the truth. (Ctrl + F crunchy)

A chuck of SAO fans are naruto/bleach fans, as well as MMORPG players. That is the information that one can gather through several forums. Including MMORPG forums. This is a fact that you cannot deny. And it's the truth whether you like it or not.

Here's the thing... They are there!

Just like I can't deny a large chunk of Clannad fans being crybabies,(Seriously, some of those people probably cry at a pin drop) while some can be rather illogical and said things such as "IF YOU DONT LIKE CLANNAD YOU HAVE NO HEART!". But they are part of the fanbase, do I have to like them? Nope, but are they part of the fanbase? Absolutely.

4. Exactly, I haven't typed a single points on SAO that involve my opinion. It's all true. Got a problem with that? Go find my flawed arguments, if you can point out how silly some of them are, I will apologize. (Long as they're not obvious jokes)

How can they survive 2 years?
You joined the forum at 11 of October. Episode 13 has already aired. (An actual good episode I must say), I think the show already answered that question before your arrival. (Oh wait, 14 aired too)

How did he get ressurected?
Kudos, many couldn't tell during their first watch (myself included)

deus ex machina... huh...
There's no plot holes...

You mean there's a plausible answer to why Asuna is moving during that scene in the novel?
Please do tell.

Oh yeah, use the spoiler tag if you have to. ["spoiler"]Explanation here[/"spoiler"]

Just remove the quotation mark form the "spoiler"
KingYoshi said:
AirStyles said:

No. Credit? So, if some guy creates an anime based off ideals that I get, but don't believe to be true, I should still give credit? Come on now. Don't you see how ridiculous that sounds? I said it was clever at times, but that doesn't make it good.

The whole entire basis of a show like this is the creator/writer's opinion on society and human emotion, etc. I can see the writer's opinions within the show, thus "getting" it. I just don't agree with his opinion. Or think that it is an amazing revolutionary way to express it.

For an off the wall example, if I created a show that cleverly conveyed my opinion through hidden messages/themes, parodies, and parody tricks that "all of humanity hated themselves on a deep subconscious level without even realizing it" it makes it good writing? No, no. Its a style of writing that isn't used as often, yes, but automatically good? No way. That would be a ridiculous notion that I don't agree with. That is the problem with an anime like this and it is why they are pretty unique. If you don't agree with the messages or think they are funny or think they are even relevant (certain ones), then it doesn't make it good.

Do you think that any writing that carries a "hidden" message or theme is good? They are everywhere and in almost every form of media.

I'm not trying to say that no one should like Jinrui. I'm just saying that the writing in anime like this aims to please only those that agree with it. So, I understand completely if you liked/loved the anime, but this style of writing is overrated in my opinion. The writing is so much more of an accomplishment in Stein's Gate than it is in Jinrui.

EDIT: I hope to god you didn't describe "How can they survive 2 years without eating" as a plot hole. Please tell me you didn't say that.

Not quite... I disagree with a lot of message Jinrui had. E.g. Episode 9 and monuments (don't wanna give spoiler here)

and here. "but this style of writing is overrated in my opinion". Yeah... Not everyone gets country music, most of my friend prefer rap and R&B...

.... Again... In short, you don't get it, you don't find it entertaining. I get that. I don't get Golf either, but they're making millions, good for them, bad for me.

It's fine to not get thing, I mean, I don't get "Scrubs" (comedy), I don't find it funny at all. I'd rate that show 5 on enjoyment, if I have a rating chart on my hand. While I'll give marks to the acting, lighting, music and directing/transition.
AirStylesOct 19, 2012 4:39 AM
Oct 19, 2012 4:40 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
AirStyles said:

Not quite... I disagree with a lot of message Jinrui had. E.g. Episode 9 and monuments (don't wanna give spoiler here)

and here. "but this style of writing is overrated in my opinion". Yeah... Not everyone gets country music, most of my friend prefer rap and R&B...

.... Again... In short, you don't get it, you don't find it entertaining. I get that. I don't get Golf either, but they're making millions, good for them, bad for me.

It's fine to not get thing, I mean, I don't get "Scrubs" (comedy), I don't find it funny at all. I'd rate that show 5 on enjoyment, if I have a rating chart on my hand. While I'll give marks to the acting, lighting, music and directing/transition.

Lol, I'm trying to explain to you that I do "get" it, but that doesn't mean I like it. I "get" the writing, I just don't think it is funny and I don't think it is great writing. Its like when someone tells a joke. You can "get" the joke, but not think its funny, and also think it isn't a good joke.

On a complete unrelated note, golf is awesome, lol. I'm a huge sports fan though, so I like any sport pretty much.
Oct 19, 2012 4:43 AM

Jun 2009
KingYoshi said:
AirStyles said:

Lol, I'm trying to explain to you that I do "get" it, but that doesn't mean I like it. I "get" the writing, I just don't like it our think it is great writing. Its like when someone tells a joke. You can "get" the joke, but not think its funny, and also think it isn't a good joke.

On a complete unrelated note, golf is awesome, lol. I'm a huge sports fan though, so I like any sport pretty much.

How about Badminton?
(Stats for Olympic men singles final, 1.4 billion people tuned in, 20% of the world's population.)
You like that too?
Oct 19, 2012 4:48 AM
Sep 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
AirStyles said:

You sound like an old man geez.

It's up to the matter of "taste", Lupin, Cowboy Bebop, DB, Doramon, etc were the fresh ani in older generation, around 90s, 2000. But the newers were attractive by a vary of other anime, these ani mentioned above aren't the gate way standard, they can be found on any anime.

If that's what you thought, then you're delusional. The problem is that there are too many products on the current market, that it's hard to find goodies, unlike the older time when you only have a few show each season, not around 30-40. But we do get a few quality show each year, recent year we have madoka, steins;gate. Now we have F/Z, Hyouka, perhaps Kuroko. 2009-2010 we have FMAB, Haruhi movie, etc. These are diverse and it's different with old anime.

It's more attractive in term of visuals, music, and story.
HibiChouchouOct 19, 2012 4:52 AM
Oct 19, 2012 4:51 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
AirStyles said:
KingYoshi said:
AirStyles said:

Lol, I'm trying to explain to you that I do "get" it, but that doesn't mean I like it. I "get" the writing, I just don't like it our think it is great writing. Its like when someone tells a joke. You can "get" the joke, but not think its funny, and also think it isn't a good joke.

How about Badminton?
(Stats for Olympic men singles final, 1.4 billion people tuned in, 20% of the world's population.)
You like that too?

Well, I certainly wouldn't watch badminton anytime except for the olympics, but I would definitely watch it then. I love watching olympic competition. Just think, you aren't only watching badminton, you are watching the best players in the world play badminton. It makes it a big deal. I love the olympics though because even with weird events, you get to watch people who have perfected their craft and mastered these strange games. Makes it really fun when you look at it that way.
Oct 19, 2012 4:52 AM
Oct 2012

1 and 2. That is your opinion.

No it's not. There was no reason to bring this up other than make yourself look more experienced.
"There are a lot of other shows than SAO, you know" is obviously a try to make me look less objective.

3 I'm not trying to make them look bad, I'm just telling them the truth. (Ctrl + F crunchy)

A chuck of SAO fans are naruto/bleach fans, as well as MMORPG players. That is the information that one can gather through several forums. Including MMORPG forums. This is a fact that you cannot deny. And it's the truth whether you like it or not.

I never said it didn't have this kind of fans, pretty much every anime has a few of them, some more than others.
It's still not something you can criticise the anime for and not all of them are like this.
I'm not even a fan of the anime but I can't stand generalisations like this.

4. Exactly, I haven't typed a single points on SAO that involve my opinion. It's all true. Got a problem with that? Go find my flawed arguments, if you can point out how silly some of them are, I will apologize. (Long as they're not obvious jokes)

Every claim you made about the fanbase is no more than speculation on your part.
You don't have any sources other than "a few comments on crunchyroll" which obviously don't represent them as a whole, so refrain from making your claims sound like facts.

How can they survive 2 years?
You joined the forum at 11 of October. Episode 13 has already aired. (An actual good episode I must say), I think the show already answered that question before your arrival. (Oh wait, 14 aired too)

How did he get ressurected?
Kudos, many couldn't tell during their first watch (myself included)

deus ex machina... huh...
You mean there's a plausible answer to why Asuna is moving during that scene in the novel?
Please do tell.

These were just a few examples where my autism forced me to act. There are obviously more, if you are really interested you could look through my comments.
The deus ex machina was referring to his dual wield, which was heavily foreshadowed.
The scene you mentioned was just power of love, something I generally dislike, we can agree here.
At least in SAO's case, it was written to show the intensity of her feelings and the fact that system limitations can be changed by willpower (important later in Alicization and AW), but I still didn't like it.

This discussion would be more productive if you pointed out specific complaints you have about the writing. I'm aware that it has flaws, but I fail to see how it is so outrageously worse than other anime/LNs.
It's really not bad for a fan-translated light novel and I don't see a reason to compare the writing in anime/manga/LNs to "actual" literature.
Nobody complains about the writing in children books or cartoons, because they know what they will see when choosing a medium like this.
Oct 19, 2012 5:00 AM

Aug 2009
You guys( SAO fans,average viewer and haters) want to know why everything here is based on opinions and not facts?

Some think that Fate/zero is a bad show with dull characters at the same time think that K-on or Yuru yuri have actual character development and that SAO is a terrible anime.

Some think that because a show has sublime messages(or they think it has)(not talking about Jinrui.I havent even seen it yet)it has to be a masterpiece while something that is pretty normal is shit for not being "cleverly" written.

Some believe that if a show doesnt reveal its plot in the 1st ep it will be shit.

Some think that if the MC has at least one "creepy otaku" characteristic then the show will be shit.
ETC.
Tell me again how this isnt about OPINIONS?

It's not about :"murder being bad is just an opinion" or some other shitty replies I saw before by people that try to pass as intellectuals too.

We are talking about entertainment here.Entertainment is based on opinions/tastes.IF EVERYONE had the same opinion then it would be a fact.

EDIT:NOT A REPLY TO YOU AirStyles.IF it is harder for some to enjoy the "not so good series" then it is their problem for not being able to enjoy a lot of stuff.Why the hell they have to insult others for liking them is beyond me.If they think they are smarter and more mature why dont they act like that and leave those "kids" to enjoy their "bad" anime?
ssjokgOct 19, 2012 5:33 AM
Oct 19, 2012 5:08 AM

Dec 2011
ssjokg said:

Thx. This topic is about your own legacy than SAO point view.
Oct 19, 2012 5:17 AM
Oct 2012
ssjokg said:
You guys( SAO fans,average viewer and haters) want to know why everything here is based on opinions and not facts?

Some think that Fate/zero is a bad show with dull characters at the same time think that K-on or Yuru yuri have actual character development and that SAO is a terrible anime.

Some think that because the show has sublime messages(or they think it has)(not talking about Jinrui.I havent even seen it yet)it has to be a masterpiece while something that is pretty normal is shit for not being "cleverly" written.

Some believe that if a show doesnt reveal it's plot in the 1st ep it will be shit.

Some think that if the MC has at least one "creepy otaku" characteristic then the show will be shit.
ETC.
Tell me again how this isnt about OPINIONS?

It's not about :"murder being bad is just an opinion" or some other shitty replies I saw before by people that try to pass as intellectuals too.

We are talking about entertainment here.Entertainment is based on opinions.IF EVERYONE had the same opinion then it would be a fact.

EDIT:NOT A REPLY TO YOU AirStyles.IF it is harder for some to enjoy the "not so good series" then it is their problem for not being able to enjoy a lot of stuff.Why the hell they have to insult others for liking them is beyond me.If they think they are smarter and more mature why dont they act like that and leave those "kids" to enjoy their "bad" anime?

I agree.
Oct 19, 2012 5:18 AM

Aug 2009
lifestyLe said:
ssjokg said:

Thx. This topic is about your own legacy than SAO point view.

It still is more relevant than the olympics.
Oct 19, 2012 5:26 AM

Jun 2009
whatever123456 said:

These were just a few examples where my autism forced me to act. There are obviously more, if you are really interested you could look through my comments.
The deus ex machina was referring to his dual wield, which was heavily foreshadowed.
The scene you mentioned was just power of love, something I generally dislike, we can agree here.
At least in SAO's case, it was written to show the intensity of her feelings and the fact that system limitations can be changed by willpower (important later in Alicization and AW), but I still didn't like it.

This discussion would be more productive if you pointed out specific complaints you have about the writing. I'm aware that it has flaws, but I fail to see how it is so outrageously worse than other anime/LNs.
It's really not bad for a fan-translated light novel and I don't see a reason to compare the writing in anime/manga/LNs to "actual" literature.
Nobody complains about the writing in children books or cartoons, because they know what they will see when choosing a medium like this.

"At least in SAO's case, it was written to show the intensity of her feelings and the fact that system limitations can be changed by willpower (important later in Alicization and AW), but I still didn't like it."

So there's no answer huh... Thankfully I'm not expecting one either...

"I can't stand generalisations like this"
"they don't represent SAO fan as a whole"

I never claim "All SAO fans are mmorpg players, Naruto/Bleach fans, kids" I'm just saying a lot of those people jump the bandwagon to SAO, thus a lot of them are. In some way or another, I can be considered a fan, though I'm more of a "disappointed fan".

If I'm a Twilight fan, I'm the fan that's complaining "It could've been great!!!! WHYYYY???"

Why should I compare SAO to other VN?
I'm judging SAO anime here. How others did compare to SAO mean jack to this discussion. Just because Average Book A is better than Average Book B, doesn't make Average Book A better than Average.

All this started with you quoting my text and replace them with "Hurrr"
I retaliated. That is all.

You don't have to keep going.

"The show is overrated" -Agreed
"Portion of fanbase are shitty" -Agreed
"Power of love suck" -Agreed

lets close this up.

ssjokg said:

Is that sarcasm? If it is, I'd be more than happy to answer to that.

I mean, I don't think I ever insulted SAO fans... heck I never insulted Naruto fan outside of several month ago when I'm drunk at a party... (to be frank, I rant about the show, not insulting the fans)

Why is my username underlined?
AirStylesOct 19, 2012 5:39 AM
Oct 19, 2012 5:37 AM
Oct 2012

"At least in SAO's case, it was written to show the intensity of her feelings and the fact that system limitations can be changed by willpower (important later in Alicization and AW), but I still didn't like it."

So there's answer huh... Thankfully I'm not expecting one either...

I provided an answer, no idea what you are talking about.
It transcends the system's limitations, but I already said that and gave reasons why the author wrote it that way.

I never claim "All SAO fans are mmorpg players, Naruto/Bleach fans, kids" I'm just saying a lot of those people jump the bandwagon to SAO, thus a lot of them are. In some way or another, I can be considered a fan, though I'm more of a "disappointed fan".

And I still don't see how that has anything to do with the show.
SAO is easily accessible, just like other popular anime, so it's obvious that a lot of less experienced watchers will flock to it.

I'm judging SAO anime here. How others did compare to SAO mean jack to this discussion. Just because Average Book A is better than Average Book B, doesn't make Average Book A better than Average.

I didn't compare SAO to another anime/LN/VN/manga.
I said that the writing is not worse than what you normally get in these media.
It's not exceptionally good, but not horrible either.
Oct 19, 2012 5:37 AM

Aug 2009
AirStyles said:

ssjokg said:

I mean, I don't think I ever insulted SAO fans... heck I never insulted Naruto fan outside of several month ago when I'm drunk at a party... (to be frank, I rant about the show, not insulting the fans)

It wasnt directed to you.You were one of the users that kept posting for the last 2 or 3 pages so I thought it would be ok to make sure to show that I dont include you with those that insult other fans for liking a "bad" show.At least I dont remember you insulting anyone.
Oct 19, 2012 5:43 AM

Jun 2009
ssjokg said:
AirStyles said:

ssjokg said:

It wasnt directed to you.You were one of the users that kept posting for the last 2 or 3 pages so I thought it would be ok to make sure to show that I dont include you with those that insult other fans for liking a "bad" show.At least I dont remember you insulting anyone.

>_< Well, don't do that!!!

It's hard enough to recognize sarcasm in text form.

Actually, it make sense. Because the text do more or less seem like it could be targeted at me. There's a possibility that I might see it that way. In fact it's almost certain that I'd take it as a challenge.

But still... Jeeezzz... All that bolding and underlining... Aren't you going a bit too far? /sarcasm
Oct 19, 2012 5:48 AM

Aug 2009
AirStyles said:
ssjokg said:
AirStyles said:

ssjokg said:

>_< Well, don't do that!!!

It's hard enough to recognize sarcasm in text form.

Actually, it make sense. Because the text do more or less seem like it could be targeted at me. There's a possibility that I might see it that way. In fact it's almost certain that I'd take it as a challenge.

But still... Jeeezzz... All that bolding and underlining... Aren't you going a bit too far /sarcasm

As you said it's hard to recognize sarcasm in these threads.

Still... rest assured that my post(except for the opinions part which was directed towards all)wasnt directed towards you.

Hey I almost added colored text.You are lucky I stopped there XDXD
Oct 19, 2012 5:53 AM

Jun 2009
whatever123456 said:

It transcends the system's limitations, but I already said that and gave reasons why the author wrote it that way.

SAO is easily accessible, just like other popular anime, so it's obvious that a lot of less experienced watchers will flock to it.

This has gone on for a while

I gave you a stool to walk off the stage, and we stop peacefully...
Since we both agreed on
(SAO is overrated, averagely written)
(Power of love suck)
(Portion of fanbase are shitty)

And you replied with intention of carrying on...

Another chance. Peace and stop?
Stopping? Y/N?

ssjokg said:

As you said it's hard to recognize sarcasm in these threads.

Still... rest assured that my post(except for the opinions part which was directed towards all)wasnt directed towards you.

Hey I almost added colored text.You are lucky I stopped there XDXD

actually, the colored text would've amused me enough to not take it seriously.
Oct 19, 2012 6:03 AM

Jul 2011
this thread is dangerous
Oct 19, 2012 6:03 AM
Oct 2012

Since we both agreed on
(Power of love suck)

Y/N?

I really don't care, I just replied to the parts of your post I didn't agree with and asked you to elaborate on your claims, something you have been avoiding for the last few posts.

We can agree on the things you mentioned in this post, if that's good enough for you.
Oct 19, 2012 6:20 AM

Jun 2009
aiNkyy said:
this thread is dangerous

Only nice people here, we just don't agree all the time.

whatever123456 said:

Since we both agreed on
(Power of love suck)

Y/N?

I really don't care, I just replied to the parts of your post I didn't agree with and asked you to elaborate on your claims, something you have been avoiding for the last few posts.

We can agree on the things you mentioned in this post, if that's good enough for you.

I'll elaborate just because you said I've been avoiding... Poor word choice btw.

No, There is literally 0 answer for why Asuna is moving.
In other word, plot armor/no explanation, it just happen.
In short, bad writing.

In that logic, shows like "Dance In the Vampire Bund", "Gunslinger Girl", "Haibane Renmei", "Ergo Proxy", "Lain" youtube accessible anime, should have a huge fanbase like SAO. But no! WHY?

Because it's title is not Sword Art "ONLINE". Wanna know my reaction when I first heard a novel call sword art online is about to be animated? I freaking paused everything I'm doing just to google it.

The title is attractive as hell! Face it! MMORPG gamers flocks to the title.

(part of the reason Vampire Bund bombed is because of bad writing, but ah wells, title and setting doesn't help it either, with all the Twilight copies rage at that time)

Again, the title is attractive, people flocks to attractive titles. It's evident as it is, I don't even have to bring up those 5 youtube accessible titles to prove my point.

first of all, "I said the writing is not worse than what you normally get in these media"
That's comparing.

second of all. SO WHAT if it's not bad but average.

SAO is still average! It's not good!

Conclusion, SAO IS AVERAGE AND OVERRATED! We both agreed on it

There, I answered them.

Stopping? Y/N
AirStylesOct 19, 2012 6:26 AM
Oct 19, 2012 6:41 AM

Dec 2011
aiNkyy said:
this thread is dangerous

RUN TO THE HILLS!!1!

ok, stoping
Oct 19, 2012 6:53 AM

Sep 2012
What..is.this...thread? I don't even...
Oct 19, 2012 6:55 AM
Oct 2012

Poor word choice btw.

What do you mean? If I made a mistake, please tell me, english is only my second language and I'd rather be corrected instead of making the same mistake again.

No, There is literally 0 answer for why Asuna is moving.
In other word, plot armor/no explanation, it just happen.
In short, bad writing.

The system's limitations can be overcome by strong enough willpower. That is a viable explanation, even if we don't like it.
It's a recurring theme in Kawahara's works.

In that logic, shows like "Dance In the Vampire Bund", "Gunslinger Girl", "Haibane Renmei", "Ergo Proxy", "Lain" youtube accessible anime, should have a huge fanbase like SAO. But no! WHY?

Because it's title is not Sword Art "ONLINE". Wanna know my reaction when I first heard a novel call sword art online is about to be animated? I freaking paused everything I'm doing just to google it.

The title is attractive as hell! Face it! MMORPG gamers flocks to the title.

(part of the reason Vampire Bund bombed is because of bad writing, but ah wells, title and setting doesn't help it either, with all the Twilight copies rage at that time)

Again, the title is attractive, people flocks to attractive titles. It's evident as it is, I don't even have to bring up those 5 youtube accessible titles to prove my point.

I think you misunderstood what I wanted to say here.
With "easily accessible" I meant that it's entry level. It's one of the anime I'd recommend someone who is new to this medium along with other titles like DN, CG or Bebop for example.
I don't think the fans like it because of the title, they might try it out because the title sounds attractive and drop it if they were bored/didn't like it.

first of all, "I said the writing is not worse than what you normally get in these media"
That's comparing.

second of all. SO WHAT if it's not bad but average.

SAO is still average! It's not good!

The writing is average, SAO as a show is above average in my opinion.
I'd give it a 6-7/10 if I had to rate it.

I was just curious what you thought was so bad about the writing that it justifies so much criticism.
As I said before, anime/LN level writing can never compare to "good" literature and SAO's writing is within the boundaries of what is acceptable for this medium in my opinion.
Oct 19, 2012 7:37 AM
Jul 2012

The system's limitations can be overcome by strong enough willpower. That is a viable explanation, even if we don't like it.
It's a recurring theme in Kawahara's works.

I was just curious what you thought was so bad about the writing that it justifies so much criticism.
As I said before, anime/LN level writing can never compare to "good" literature and SAO's writing is within the boundaries of what is acceptable for this medium in my opinion.

^You just said it yourself. That's what's bad about the writing.
Oct 19, 2012 7:48 AM
Oct 2012

But it isn't. It all happens in a game that reads your brain's output and strong enough emotions can change certain things. It's not a copout, it's a part of his universe.
Did you complain about the incarnate system in AW?

Oct 19, 2012 7:49 AM

Mar 2011
Naruto is a gateway anime of the worst kind. It's a bad series, a clusterfuck of story and characterization that isn't very well done by any aspect, but which attempts to compensate for its weaknesses by adding in excessive shipping faggotry and DARKNESS. The normal anon can see this as the shit it is, and may enjoy it, hate it or be indifferent to it, but all the while recognizing that the series itself, regardless of their opinion, is plain bad.

However, these very aspects that try to smear over the shit of its core make it a breeding ground for aspie, unsociable underageb& faggots who engage in every kind of faggotry both online and in the real world. The superpowered characters all trying their hardest to look cool, the jutsus, peculiar, colorful clothes, the whole ninja faggotry and everything about the Naruto world fuels their escapist fantasies, while the pity-party character backgrounds, emphasis on revenge, and overall preachiness of the series make it fit just right with the mary-sueish drives of your average preteen and his sense of unwarranted self-importance towards the world. Exactly the kind of shit that makes little kiddies and underageb& retards eat this shit right the fuck up.

Naruto is basically THE series to attract the most hated anime fanbase known to /a/, which is why, regardless of individual opinions, it is the responsibility of every anon to troll the fuck out of this show and everyone who likes it, and ensure that no Naruto threads ever encourage the newfriends to show their faces here.
Oct 19, 2012 7:55 AM
Jul 2012
whatever123456 said:

But it isn't. It all happens in a game that reads your brain's output and strong enough emotions can change certain things. It's not a copout, it's a part of his universe.

So powers of friendship and love can break computer codes. That's not a copout? Okay.
Oct 19, 2012 8:01 AM
Oct 2012
dontbegey said:
whatever123456 said:

So powers of friendship and love can break computer codes. That's not a copout? Okay.

Strong enough emotions can influence a game where everything is based on your brain's output, yes.
Oct 19, 2012 8:04 AM

Apr 2009
whatever123456 said:
Strong enough emotions can influence a game where everything is based on your brain's output, yes.

Also, if you believe in Santa strong enough he will visit you at Christmas Eve.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Oct 19, 2012 8:07 AM
Oct 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
whatever123456 said:

How does that have anything to do with this discussion?
It's something the author decided is possible in his universe.
In The Matrix, Neo can change the matrix with his thoughts, in Star Wars, Jedi can affect reality with their mental powers. Is that bad writing?
Oct 19, 2012 8:08 AM

Aug 2009
whatever123456 said:
Nidhoeggr said:
whatever123456 said:

How does that have anything to do with this discussion?
It's something the author decided is possible in his universe.
In The Matrix, Neo can change the matrix with his thoughts, in Star Wars, Jedi can affect reality with their mental powers. Is that bad writing?

But... but... SAO isnt Star Wars or Matrix....hurr durr...*insert other "fact" that makes SAO bad*
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2012

544 by Kraum »»
May 26, 11:59 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2012

491 by spillkongen »»
May 26, 11:48 AM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
May 16, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.