Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jun 10, 2020 10:38 PM

Sep 2010
chiakimagoto said:
^ ok I understand what you mean about fangirling: it's the Chihaya bashing I don't agree with either.....she might be dense and naïve but everything that happened is not their fault. They're teenagers in the end and sometimes things get so overdramatic at that age cause hard to control ones emotions. Chihaya has her flaws just as the 2 boys do.

That's what makes them so endearing. I do admit I have some trouble connecting to her character by moment. I think Sensei should have been a bit more careful of having us "get closer emotionally" to her heroine. I'm not sure I'm explaining myself right......

I think that depends. I understand a bit of Chihaya's passionate fixation and validation issues born of a low self-esteem since childhood. Also, I appreciate she's more focused on her passionate hobby than boys. It's so refreshing when in "girls" manga usually the female protagonist has no ambition other than the boy she likes, or everything is accessory to her crush.

I think a lot of girls can identify with Taichi because he's got a stereotypically female character characterization, interestingly enough. I'm talking about gender clichés you can find in manga. How he was emotional and distressed over someone he liked, how he seemly chased her since forever making Chihaya a "Goal" (IMO, at least, this was definitely kind of skevvy, I'm glad he shook that off). Hell, his struggle for independence is against his mother figure rather than father figure which is uncommon in a male character. Arata meanwhile definitely has a male-narration angle, he's got the whole "heir to a (karuta) dynasty" thing, and while he shows romantic attraction to Chihaya, he's not overwhelmed by it. Chihaya I think she has a more gender neutral arc.

possession1981 said:
Anyone else see the new artwork Suetsugu posted on Instagram? It's a Sumire illustration, and Taichi illustration paired up with the word love as the caption. Interesting.

I just checked. Sumire looks very beautiful!
ThessJun 10, 2020 10:47 PM
Jun 11, 2020 3:16 AM

Oct 2012
Thess said:
chiakimagoto said:
^ ok I understand what you mean about fangirling: it's the Chihaya bashing I don't agree with either.....she might be dense and naïve but everything that happened is not their fault. They're teenagers in the end and sometimes things get so overdramatic at that age cause hard to control ones emotions. Chihaya has her flaws just as the 2 boys do.

That's what makes them so endearing. I do admit I have some trouble connecting to her character by moment. I think Sensei should have been a bit more careful of having us "get closer emotionally" to her heroine. I'm not sure I'm explaining myself right......

I think that depends. I understand a bit of Chihaya's passionate fixation and validation issues born of a low self-esteem since childhood. Also, I appreciate she's more focused on her passionate hobby than boys. It's so refreshing when in "girls" manga usually the female protagonist has no ambition other than the boy she likes, or everything is accessory to her crush.

I think a lot of girls can identify with Taichi because he's got a stereotypically female character characterization, interestingly enough. I'm talking about gender clichés you can find in manga. How he was emotional and distressed over someone he liked, how he seemly chased her since forever making Chihaya a "Goal" (IMO, at least, this was definitely kind of skevvy, I'm glad he shook that off). Hell, his struggle for independence is against his mother figure rather than father figure which is uncommon in a male character. Arata meanwhile definitely has a male-narration angle, he's got the whole "heir to a (karuta) dynasty" thing, and while he shows romantic attraction to Chihaya, he's not overwhelmed by it. Chihaya I think she has a more gender neutral arc.

possession1981 said:
Anyone else see the new artwork Suetsugu posted on Instagram? It's a Sumire illustration, and Taichi illustration paired up with the word love as the caption. Interesting.

I just checked. Sumire looks very beautiful!

That's a pretty interesting thing you said. Maybe indeed Chihaya feels more like a shonen hero than the main Character of a Josei manga......

And Taichi.....what made me get emotionally more attached? Let's see.... the romance is pretty dramatic but it more what he himself goes through that made me root for him. His insecurities, his inner fight against the nasty side of his character, the wah he leaded the club, his perseverance in the matches and also his losses that made you really take the up and down ride with him. I just loved the highschool tournament where they won in the end....that match against Fujisaki.....his thoughts...well yeah, we get alot of occasions to bond with this character, something I missed with Chihaya lately. Btw the last 2 chaps I actually did!!! And I understand why cause I always thought there was something off with her "new" playstyle. She didn't look happy nor comfy. I won't say it's no good cause she will definitely take a great benefit in understanding how Shinobu plays and thinks. Diving so deep into the Hyankunin Isshu must have revealed alot to her inner self but.....yes..... it's the team dynamics that make her thrive! And I was like YAY here we are, right a the heart of what gets Chihaya pumped up!! I hope she will start having fun now.

About Sumire's art ,second page Taichi, they are definitely the 2 characters that brought love into the manga so openly. Sumire is "love sick' and Taichi's unrequited love is the drive that makes the great changes in the manga.....

Sumire looks really sweet..... I like Taichi's art less. Both parts seems to be a part of a "bigger" art we don't see in full.

If Sumire and Taichi had had some true development maybe it could have been really cute but at this stage of the manga Taichi's eyes are still turned always in the same direction, even if he's trying to move on.
Jun 11, 2020 10:59 AM

Sep 2010
Those are total valid reasons to like a character (though I'll argue you don't need any reason just to like what you like), I just liked how Taichi's arc and even rebellious teenage stage was more cliche for female characters than male ones. That's why I bet against cliché expectation of Taichi-helps-Chihaya in reunion or Chihaya-helps-Arata in next break (and lean on Taichi helps Arata).

Since it was brought up, the Sumire and Taichi relationship. I think it's funny how Sumire is a more "valid" love interest for Taichi than Chihaya. I don't mean in his feelings, but in how she's written with actual moments she helps along with his struggles with a sincere selfless heart (after her development) and those moments he "notices" her in some way in a positive light. I said this in the other thread of the triangle, one of the main weakness for me to buy Chihaya/Taichi as romantic relationship is the lack of establishing moments to set up a romantic plot and is mostly... Taichi's feelings side. It sounds ironic however, while his relationship and what he could meant to Chihaya is developed, we have zero knowledge why Taichi fell for her, and didn't just consider her a friend. It just lazily handwaved as "they were childhood friends" cliche (when is more natural to see someone like that as a sibling). That moment Sumire stood up against Taichi's mom, the only one who confronted her, should have been Chihaya to establish that romance on Taichi's behalf.

While Arata-Chihaya has a lot of mutual romantic set ups and reasons, but lack the time spent together which makes the depth of feelings may questionable-admiration mixed with attraction from both sides. Taichi's feelings do come out without reason, we don't get a flashback when he fell for her, or why. So they have precious time together but one that could easily be between siblings or friends. I'm not buying either relationship very much (though I understand either can happen), I have bias and I feel the trio friendship is a lot more developed and forged than any real romance. Probably too because is tiresome girls and boys can't share a passionate hobby without falling in love.

In this respect, ironically I feel Sumirei and Taichi are better "developed" or set up as a romance than Chihaya and the boys. Because Sumire had a crush on him (shallow as it is) because he's hot (very understandable, even has a 'meeting' Taichi sparkly bubble moment) but we see moments her feelings became mature and selfless as they both spent time together. And we see moments Taichi could have "seen her in another light" as she actually put her heart to help him and this mattered. All those could be clear romantic build up signs to romance, despite Sumire's lack of page time. I've always seen the lack of Chihaya standing up Taichi's mom the greatest obstacle to that couple more than anything.

Note I don't say or affirm they'll become a couple or that I ship it, I'm just saying they are more smoothly written as a potential romance in manga IMO than Chihaya's side which, for its screentime comparatively. I think because the mangaka was trying to stay ambiguous for too long? But that doesn't excuse the lack of 'flashback when Taichi fell for Chihaya' moment that should have been included in his confession (instead he flashbacked to Arata wtf!).
ThessJun 11, 2020 11:13 AM
Jun 12, 2020 12:48 AM

Oct 2012
Thess said:

I've always seen the lack of Chihaya standing up Taichi's mom the greatest obstacle to that couple more than anything.

Note I don't say or affirm they'll become a couple or that I ship it, I'm just saying they are more smoothly written as a potential romance in manga IMO than Chihaya's side which, for its screentime comparatively. I think because the mangaka was trying to stay ambiguous for too long? But that doesn't excuse the lack of 'flashback when Taichi fell for Chihaya' moment that should have been included in his confession (instead he flashbacked to Arata wtf!).

Hahahaha, yeah mother in law's are scary. Sumire doesn't know Reiko as well as Chihaya btw and how scary she can be. So maybe that scary image installed in Chihaya's brain still hasn't changed, cause she's so much a child still in many ways. Sumire is a year younger but more mature in the he love department and more attentive about what goes on with other people: we see the dense ones in the club: Tsukuba and..... Chihaya, that can't seem to read situations, lol. And there is one thing about mother in law's: the son has to set things straight with his mother most of all. In the end Taichi's mother isn't a bad person and she wants happiness for her son.
Problems in marriage with in law's often stem from the twisted parts of relationships they have with their children wishing to not lose control or over protect them: only the child can stand up to his parents and show them they should respect their choices, that they are grown up and living their own life.....not an easy thing to do in some situations. It was nice of Sumire to stand up for Taichi....but shouldn't he have done that himself? I think he is ready now.

Ah, the romance
chiakimagotoJun 12, 2020 6:13 AM
Jun 12, 2020 7:16 PM

Sep 2010
chiakimagoto said:
Hahahaha, yeah mother in law's are scary. Sumire doesn't know Reiko as well as Chihaya btw and how scary she can be. So maybe that scary image installed in Chihaya's brain still hasn't changed, cause she's so much a child still in many ways. Sumire is a year younger but more mature in the he love department and more attentive about what goes on with other people: we see the dense ones in the club: Tsukuba and..... Chihaya, that can't seem to read situations, lol. And there is one thing about mother in law's: the son has to set things straight with his mother most of all. In the end Taichi's mother isn't a bad person and she wants happiness for her son.
Problems in marriage with in law's often stem from the twisted parts of relationships they have with their children wishing to not lose control or over protect them: only the child can stand up to his parents and show them they should respect their choices, that they are grown up and living their own life.....not an easy thing to do in some situations. It was nice of Sumire to stand up for Taichi....but shouldn't he have done that himself? I think he is ready now.

Well, I'm not saying Reiko is a scary villain, but there's a conflict with Taichi's own maturity arc that tied with her. Usually, in a romantic and coming of age story, the love interest would be the one aiding along in this area. When there's a controlling but well-intended parent, the actual love interest will eventually win over them and also helped them understand their loved one. If Chihaya had a controlling mother or father, it'll be up to Taichi and Arata, but the one who has this is Taichi and Chihaya has known her for years and dares not to stand up or talk to Reiko. It's kind of odd the one who was given this plotline was Sumire rather than Chihaya. It could be going against the troupes moments but in my opinion, weakened the possibility of Chihaya/Taichi ending. It doesn't mean Sumire will end up with him, but I think for that couple to happen, Chihaya should have been able to interact with the mom well by now.

Ah, the romance

ThessJun 12, 2020 7:32 PM
Jun 12, 2020 8:05 PM

Sep 2012
June 12th was lovers day in Japan, and Suetsugu liked Chihaya x Arata "lovers day" fanart and even commented on it! From their fated meeting starting the manga, to Chihaya only showing romantic feelings towards Arata 200+ chapters later, to Chihaya rejecting Taichi on the spot on (and not regretting it), to Suetsugu showing Chihaya x Arata love on her twitter multiple times by liking/commenting on certain tweets, I feel like it's pretty obvious which ship will be endgame. I believe it's always been pretty obvious actually.
The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.
Jun 12, 2020 10:09 PM

Oct 2012
Thess said:
chiakimagoto said:

Well, I'm not saying Reiko is a scary villain, but there's a conflict with Taichi's own maturity arc that tied with her. Usually, in a romantic and coming of age story, the love interest would be the one aiding along in this area. When there's a controlling but well-intended parent, the actual love interest will eventually win over them and also helped them understand their loved one. If Chihaya had a controlling mother or father, it'll be up to Taichi and Arata, but the one who has this is Taichi and Chihaya has known her for years and dares not to stand up or talk to Reiko. It's kind of odd the one who was given this plotline was Sumire rather than Chihaya. It could be going against the troupes moments but in my opinion, weakened the possibility of Chihaya/Taichi ending. It doesn't mean Sumire will end up with him, but I think for that couple to happen, Chihaya should have been able to interact with the mom well by now.

Ah, the romance

Thess said:
chiakimagoto said:

Ah, the romance

Loved reading your insight. I agree none of the romance is properly polished. Maybe there won't be a conclusion after all. Sensei will avoid the hassle and go for the bff ending, which seems a bit weird as well cause we might only say it's a sports manga, but those poems are like a thread throughout the story and are speaking of longing and love all along the way.

Yeah there are alot of glitches here and there in the story.....maybe that comes from the fact that it is serialised.....the mangaka maybe got a bit mixed up somewhere along the way. 10 years is a long time and she maybe would have started the story differently if she had known what she knows now....guess we'll just have to work with work we have.

As for Sensei's ship teasing, I am always very careful with that....she might be throwing powder in your eyes.....to hide her true intentions. I was so so tricked by another mangaka.....thought I had it in the box....but got a punch in the gut....Sheesh.
Jun 13, 2020 4:43 PM
Mar 2015
When we reached chapter 220 Suetsugu said that there were at least 20 chapters and 2 years before Chihayafuru finished I don't think she is ready to let go of something she has done for 13 years
Jun 13, 2020 4:54 PM

Sep 2010
@possession1981
While Suetsugu did that, it doesn't mean the ending will be Chihaya/Arata (not saying it won't), or any couple (she did hint previously it could be unresolved iirc, or just friendship end too). Not sure if you're familiar with FGO, but the writer of the second chapter of Cosmos in Lostbelt arc, Sakurai, always retweets and likes this pairing that remained one sided in the work (the girl liked someone else) but it doesn't mean the author didn't like that pairing over the other options. The pairing Sakurai likes + spoilers for cosmos in the losbelt:

So I wouldn't suggest taking twitter likes and preferences as indicative of what the story ending will be. I think to the author the flow of the story and themes will be more important than their preferences. That's why a lot of authors end up killing their favorite characters which wouldn't make sense if they had let their favoritism blind them. It's completely possible ArataxChihaya will be the ending, twitter stuff shouldn't be the clue to weight in for that.

I don't think is a trick, it's more likely that Suetsugu does ship/favors Arata/Chihaya as romance, but it doesn't mean the manga will end up with that pairing. You can like something but the story you wrote doesn't match that direction or lets it happen. I have no idea what's her policy for likes and such.
ThessJun 13, 2020 5:28 PM
Jun 13, 2020 6:47 PM
Feb 2017
possession1981 said:
As someone that's caught up with the manga, I say Arata. Really the groundwork for Arata x Chihaya has been there since the beginning IMO-the way she reacts to seeing Taichi and Arata for the first time a while says it all. She's happy to see Taichi, but with Arata she bawls and keeps on repeating how much she wanted to see him. It has always been different with Arata. Despite some readers not wanting to admit this. The biggest argument against the ship seems to be that Chihaya's feelings for him are too tied to karuta, but I completely disagree with this sentiment and even if it were true, I fail to see how this is a negative in a manga that revolves around karuta. I mean every single relationship in this manga is somehow connected by it. Even the relationship Chihaya has with Taichi-in case some readers may have forgotten. Someone in a thread pointed out how her and Taichi were only able to get closer due to them building the Mizusawa club together and she was right. Them being connected through karuta goes back even further to the very beginning. When they were kids, Taichi and Chihaya were mere classmates that would play together. That was as deep as their bond went, until Taichi decides to join up with both Chihaya and Arata and what do those three bond over? Karuta. It was karuta that allowed Taichi to connect with Chihaya on a sincere and heartfelt level even as kids and it only works with Arata in the picture since he was the that taught them both karuta was something bigger. Arata and Chihaya though? They would have connected on that deeper level-which they already did which was one of the reasons Taichi had a complex towards Arata-without Taichi entering the picture. Where does Taichi confess? In the clubroom. When does he return to them? During important karuta matches. You can trace almost anything and everything back to karuta in this manga. My point is that every single relationship of our heroine's-with the exception of her family-is connected by karuta on some level. Us readers even see this in chapter 213. Chihaya is at the shrine with some of the members of the Mizusawa club and she starts to pray. What pops into her mind when recalling the likes of Kanade, Tsutomu, and Nishida? How they showed their care and love for her through helping her prep for the Queen matches. As I stated already, I fail to see how the relationship between Arata and Chihaya being deeply woven by their shared passion for karuta is suppose to be a bad thing. Another thing I just have to mention is how Suetsugu has already spoiled us a bit on the Chihaya and Shinobu bond. In an old interview-before Shinobu is even introduced into the story-she describes Shinobu as the person Chihaya will spend her life alongside as they both dedicate their lives to karuta. With that statement alone Suetsugu has confirmed two big things. The first being that the passion and love and dedication Chihaya has towards karuta will never die out, she will never outgrow it and this is something I feel readers need to take into consideration when they think about shipping. Second that Shinobu will be her closest companion in life. Now if Suetsugu has no qualms about Shinobu being her dearest friend in life-a person who's relationship with Chihaya is entrenched in karuta-then why wouldn't the same thing apply to our heroine's future romantic partner? Why wouldn't Chihaya end up with the one who's passion can match hers? The one who shook up and changed her entire world? The one who made her realize that she needed to discover her own dream? People love to downplay Arata and his importance, but there would be no Chihayafuru if he didn't exist because he was the one to shake up her world. Nothing nor no one else. Do I have any idea how Chihaya x Arata will happen? No, only Suetsugu does. I just believe that her response to his confession will be a positive one and that we'll get another match between them due to chapter 166. Chihaya tells Arata that she wants another match-due to not remembering how she beat him-but it doesn't happen. The manga started with their (fated) meeting so I can see it ending with a match between them after they both obtained the Meijin & Queen titles. Let's no forget how a pairing I feel we all love-Kana x Tsutomo-came about due to them being in the same club. Do they share an intense passion and love for karuta? No, but it brought them together.

Can Taichi x Chihaya happen? Of course since Suetsugu can go whatever way she pleases and desires. She could even go with an ending where Chihaya doesn't get with anyone. It's just that in order for Chihaya to end up with anyone but Arata, I personally feel that her character would need to be completely rewritten and if the manga is going to reach the climax this October-by climax I'm hoping Suetsugu meant the start of final matches and nothing further-then I don't see it happening. Chihaya is Chihaya. As long as she loves karuta, she'll always love Arata IMO. Same on his side.

I Agree. Taichi is really selfish my dudes. He literally forced his feelings onto chihaya and only ended up hurting her badly. You can't force someone to fall in love with you. He wants Chihayas attention even though she clearly only has eyes for Arata. Arata would never.
Jun 14, 2020 5:12 AM

Oct 2012
@Soban_Asif,

I don't see how Taichi "pushed' his feelings on to Chihaya... you're speaking of "the kiss". No excuse for his actions...I would have preferred he didn't do that but I understand where that came from. He was already determined to leave, even if she begged. It was his way of saying goodbye and that he would never go back to how they were.

No way knowing what Arata would have done in Taichi's place. Arata isn't so different from Taichi in the end, teenage boys with sometimes very impulsive reactions. Arata has the down side of being far away but on the other hand he is spared from getting his feelings messed up by Chihaya. It's easy to not be jealous when you're far away but Arata got a little piece of jelly cake as well at the Yoshino tournament. Both boys resemble eachother much more than we think. They are both only 18 and growing up.....they have their goods sides but also their flaws....
Jun 14, 2020 8:29 AM
Feb 2017
@chiakimagoto

Well the kiss itself was unnecessary and one sided but I understand that Taichi was hurting for getting rejected and yes indeed he is a teenager and their feelings are all over the place and stuff like that can happen. So lets let that slide. But in a panel in the manga when he goes to karoeke with nishida and komano he admits that him leaving the club made chihaya hurt badly and he derived pleasure from the fact that she was hurting because of him.

Fundamentally the problem I see with Taichi is the reason he plays karuta. He plays karuta because karuta is chihaya's passion. He doesnt have his own goals or aspirations so obviously he gets burned out. Its like what he wants is if he plays karuta then chihaya should fall in love with him. People say chihaya doesnt appreciate him but we've seen in a lot of momentsher appreciating taichi and watching over him. She wanted him to be in class A and went to watch his match even though her rivals shinobu and arata were playing. She even arranged him a birthday party. It's clearly not like chihaya doesn't care for taichi. There are countless more moments. It's just that she doesnt love him in a romantic way and thats what taichi wants.

With Arata he also has his own goals and aspirations. He wants to be a meijin and the reason he plays karuta is because he loves it. He does not fundamentally play karuta for the approval of anyone else's feelings. This is why I say he would not behave like Taichi. Even their confessions were so different. Arata's was nice and gentle and was more of a question. "If you want let's play karuta together". On the other hand Taichi's was more romantic yes but it was also about self development. He first confessed that he didn't want o be a coward. Then he told her what he liked about her. But then also went on to say he disliked her when she was around Arata. He doesn't want her to have feelings for Arata.

When you say Arata is far away and doesn't have a chance to get his feelings messed up by chihaya it also means that he doesn't get enough time to develop them as much as taichi has gotten. Taichi has gotten way more screentime then Arata and that could be seen as unfair. Him living far was never an advantage for him. If he went to Misusawa he would have made the club with chihaya and taichi and chihaya would notice taichi even less.

So yes Arata is different from Taichi. Both have grown exponentially in their own ways but Taichi has left karuta so that he can find his own goals and aspirations while Chihaya and Arata are pursuing karuta which is their passion
Jun 14, 2020 9:49 AM

Oct 2012
Soban_Asif said:
@chiakimagoto

Well the kiss itself was unnecessary and one sided but I understand that Taichi was hurting for getting rejected and yes indeed he is a teenager and their feelings are all over the place and stuff like that can happen. So lets let that slide. But in a panel in the manga when he goes to karoeke with nishida and komano he admits that him leaving the club made chihaya hurt badly and he derived pleasure from the fact that she was hurting because of him.

Fundamentally the problem I see with Taichi is the reason he plays karuta. He plays karuta because karuta is chihaya's passion. He doesnt have his own goals or aspirations so obviously he gets burned out. Its like what he wants is if he plays karuta then chihaya should fall in love with him. People say chihaya doesnt appreciate him but we've seen in a lot of momentsher appreciating taichi and watching over him. She wanted him to be in class A and went to watch his match even though her rivals shinobu and arata were playing. She even arranged him a birthday party. It's clearly not like chihaya doesn't care for taichi. There are countless more moments. It's just that she doesnt love him in a romantic way and thats what taichi wants.

With Arata he also has his own goals and aspirations. He wants to be a meijin and the reason he plays karuta is because he loves it. He does not fundamentally play karuta for the approval of anyone else's feelings. This is why I say he would not behave like Taichi. Even their confessions were so different. Arata's was nice and gentle and was more of a question. "If you want let's play karuta together". On the other hand Taichi's was more romantic yes but it was also about self development. He first confessed that he didn't want o be a coward. Then he told her what he liked about her. But then also went on to say he disliked her when she was around Arata. He doesn't want her to have feelings for Arata.

When you say Arata is far away and doesn't have a chance to get his feelings messed up by chihaya it also means that he doesn't get enough time to develop them as much as Taichi has gotten. Taichi has gotten way more screentime then Arata and that could be seen as unfair. Him living far was never an advantage for him. If he went to Misusawa he would have made the club with chihaya and taichi and chihaya would notice taichi even less.

So yes Arata is different from Taichi. Both have grown exponentially in their own ways but Taichi has left karuta so that he can find his own goals and aspirations while Chihaya and Arata are pursuing karuta which is their passion

I think he derived a bit satisfaction that she was sad because at least he thought she cared for him. It wasn't like he wanted to hurt her and in those panels it's evident how bad he feels and how he thinks he's the lowest..

Indeed Taichi started playing karuta for Chihaya, but it's evident that he is having the best memories of his life with the team and Chihaya. Only his unrequited love and insecurities weigh him down so much.....in the end his breaking point is when he gets rejected and then starts he own journey of self search, he doesn't give up on karuta, goes with the Meijin and still wants to go as far as he can. When he loses the Challenger Taichi isn't the same boy anymore. He has become a bigger man and truly admits all the great things karuta brought to him....still I think his arc isn't totally over and young people have hard time finding their goals in life. I also think Taichi had a true epiphany when he visited Suou's aunt about his future professional plans.

Yes Taichi definitely underestimates Chihaya's feelings for him!! If he only knew how much she cares for him!! Btw when he confessed he didn't say that he didn't like the Chihaya thinking about Arata out loud....he thought it.

Arata is no different. He might love karuta but his goal was definitely set by his grandfather. He still has issues to settle with this whole grandfather part of his story. Even Arata's father's pov of what Arata is going through makes you ask questions about if Arata really knows who he is at this moment. And Arata also has vague plans for his future studies. He focuses alot on karuta but he is probably still searching what he wants to do in life. The only thing he decided was to come to Tokyo.....for Chihaya?

All this searching, not having defined goals seems more than normal to me for these young people who will bit by bit find their way/path in life. Karuta may be a passion but not one you can live on...they will have to think about other things than karuta.....this is probably their last year of so leisurely playing without much worries. And I think in the end Taichi won't give up on karuta either. Especially if he goes to Toudai where there already is an active karuta club.

About Arata being far away....well that's life. We will never know what would have happened if Arata had stayed or Taichi had left etc etc....the fact is Arata left and Taichi was by Chihaya's side for some time: so what will result out of all this, depends on their choices, decisions and feelings. I'm ready for the last part of the ride.
chiakimagotoJun 14, 2020 10:17 AM
Jun 14, 2020 10:11 AM

Sep 2012
Thess said:

While Suetsugu did that, it doesn't mean the ending will be Chihaya/Arata (not saying it won't), or any couple (she did hint previously it could be unresolved iirc, or just friendship end too). Not sure if you're familiar with FGO, but the writer of the second chapter of Cosmos in Lostbelt arc, Sakurai, always retweets and likes this pairing that remained one sided in the work (the girl liked someone else) but it doesn't mean the author didn't like that pairing over the other options. The pairing Sakurai likes + spoilers for cosmos in the losbelt:

So I wouldn't suggest taking twitter likes and preferences as indicative of what the story ending will be. I think to the author the flow of the story and themes will be more important than their preferences. That's why a lot of authors end up killing their favorite characters which wouldn't make sense if they had let their favoritism blind them. It's completely possible ArataxChihaya will be the ending, twitter stuff shouldn't be the clue to weight in for that.

I don't think is a trick, it's more likely that Suetsugu does ship/favors Arata/Chihaya as romance, but it doesn't mean the manga will end up with that pairing. You can like something but the story you wrote doesn't match that direction or lets it happen. I have no idea what's her policy for likes and such.

Of course I don't see her twitter likes as the end to everything. There isn't much Chihayafuru fan content-unfortunately-if you find fanart of one ship, you'll be able to find the others quite easily so I'm sure she's seen the Taichi x Chihaya fanart. Which is why I find it interesting how she only shows love for Arata x Chihaya, and this isn't the first time she's done it-she even retweeted blatant Chihaya x Arata ship fanart on his birthday. To me personally, I see this as Suetsugu showing love for her ship preference, and possibly warning/reminding fans which pairing will be the endgame. Chihaya's proper answer to Arata's confession is something she's still stalling, and I believe it's because they're going to get officially together at the very end like a lot of main pairings have. Possibly the last volume. We're in the final stretch of the manga-in my opinion-since Suetsugu said no more than 50 volumes in a recent interview-and we just got the 44th volume just last month. Taking her twitter, databook info, and even interviews out of the equation for a moment, the manga is more than enough proof (to me) that Chihaya x Arata is where she's going.

I also found the random Sumire, and Taichi illustrations she posted on her Instagram a few days ago interesting. Shame about all the negative comments though.
possession1981Jun 14, 2020 10:16 AM
Jun 14, 2020 3:03 PM
Feb 2017
chiakimagoto said:
Soban_Asif said:
@chiakimagoto

When you say Arata is far away and doesn't have a chance to get his feelings messed up by chihaya it also means that he doesn't get enough time to develop them as much as Taichi has gotten. Taichi has gotten way more screentime then Arata and that could be seen as unfair. Him living far was never an advantage for him. If he went to Misusawa he would have made the club with chihaya and taichi and chihaya would notice taichi even less.

I think he derived a bit satisfaction that she was sad because at least he thought she cared for him. It wasn't like he wanted to hurt her and in those panels it's evident how bad he feels and how he thinks he's the lowest..

Indeed Taichi started playing karuta for Chihaya, but it's evident that he is having the best memories of his life with the team and Chihaya. Only his unrequited love and insecurities weigh him down so much.....in the end his breaking point is when he gets rejected and then starts he own journey of self search, he doesn't give up on karuta, goes with the Meijin and still wants to go as far as he can. When he loses the Challenger Taichi isn't the same boy anymore. He has become a bigger man and truly admits all the great things karuta brought to him....still I think his arc isn't totally over and young people have hard time finding their goals in life. I also think Taichi had a true epiphany when he visited Suou's aunt about his future professional plans.

Yes Taichi definitely underestimates Chihaya's feelings for him!! If he only knew how much she cares for him!! Btw when he confessed he didn't say that he didn't like the Chihaya thinking about Arata out loud....he thought it.

Arata is no different. He might love karuta but his goal was definitely set by his grandfather. He still has issues to settle with this whole grandfather part of his story. Even Arata's father's pov of what Arata is going through makes you ask questions about if Arata really knows who he is at this moment. And Arata also has vague plans for his future studies. He focuses alot on karuta but he is probably still searching what he wants to do in life. The only thing he decided was to come to Tokyo.....for Chihaya?

All this searching, not having defined goals seems more than normal to me for these young people who will bit by bit find their way/path in life. Karuta may be a passion but not one you can live on...they will have to think about other things than karuta.....this is probably their last year of so leisurely playing without much worries. And I think in the end Taichi won't give up on karuta either. Especially if he goes to Toudai where there already is an active karuta club.

About Arata being far away....well that's life. We will never know what would have happened if Arata had stayed or Taichi had left etc etc....the fact is Arata left and Taichi was by Chihaya's side for some time: so what will result out of all this, depends on their choices, decisions and feelings. I'm ready for the last part of the ride.

@chiakimagato
Haha. I guess we can agree to disagree. Chihayafuru is a great anime and it just rubs me the wrong way when people say Taichi deserves Chihaya or he has become a side character in the recent chapters. The show is about karuta and mainly Chihaya and in the end she should choose what makes her happy.

It is true that Arata has his whole grandfather situation but it has always shown that he plays karuta because he loves the game. He atleast isn't like Taichi who admitted that he didn't like playing due to all the pressure even though he has come to realise what karuta gave him. As for him moving to Tokyo it was to be with Chihaya as well as Taichi. People under appreciate the friendship of Taichi and Arata and how much Arata acknowledges and respects Taichi. For example, he has told Taichi ever since they were kids he thought Chihaya belonged to Taichi. He even in the start didn't talk to Chihaya directly and talked to Taichi instead because he thought they were dating. Taichi on the other hand would sometimes out of jeolousy not even pass along Arata's messages, for example the one about him coming to Tokyo. But I understand his jealousy.

Even during their match in the end it was Arata who reached out to Taichi telling him how much he appreciated him for playing karuta with him. Taichi and Arata have a strong bond which sometimes gets overlooked as they are pitched against each other.

As for who's going to end up with who I would like to hear your thoughts? I have a slight feeling that Chihaya feeling bad for Taichi might end up with him which is fine by me as long as Chihaya is happy. But the recent chapters are giving some room for the Chihaya and Arata bond to deepen and maybe she finally replies to Arata's confession. Also I had hoped that Arata would have asked Taichi to be his card boy as he would have been able to witness chihaya become queen from upclose.
Jun 15, 2020 12:09 AM

Oct 2012
@Soban_Asif, hahahah, we might not agree on everything but thank you for discussing with me!

I agree that Taichi doens't deserve Chihaya for being by her side, like Arata doesn't deserve her for "giving her a dream". Chihaya is definitely her own person and has matured in the meantime. She can stand strong on her own, and has chosen her own dreams. Only she can decide what her feelings are in the end.

Yes Arata was mouthspooned karuta from when he couldn't even walk and his love for his grandfather seems to me to be his biggest drive to play and love karuta. I think we are coming to the point where he will have to look at himself.........and find out who he is without his grandfather. Taichi started playing for other reasons, and probably also his mothers pressure to always win, made many activities less attractive and stressful.

Taichi definitely isn't a flawless person. Aaaaaw, I know Arata didn't want to hurt Taichi by passing that message, but he did that so casualy, not knowing how bad that made Taichi, who was already head over heels for Chihaya, feel. Arata and Chihaya have their own set of flaws as well, Arata who seems so nice and sweet turned out to be a bit bratty with his neighbour Yuu and Chihaya is sometimes so selfcentered that she's frustrating, lol, but I feel all 3 have certainly bettered themselves while growing up.

About the Challenger match: I guess I'll never have true peace with that third match when it comes to the karuta side of the storytelling; I always thought it was more than predictable Taichi would lose, but the way it was depicted.....sigh. Anyway thank god Arata aknowledged Taichi and I think he sincerely forgave him for the glasses incident at that moment. That took a great burden off Taichi's shoulders, he who had beaten himself up over the years over that incident. I wonder if Arata would have been that generous if he had lost, but this is again in the realm of suppositions.....the fact is he won. He gracefully offered his friendship once again.

chiakimagotoJun 15, 2020 12:26 AM
Jun 15, 2020 6:53 AM
Feb 2017
@chiakimagoto thank you really, because not alot of people I know watch chihayafuru and I was dying to discuss it with someone.

The challenger match: Well to be honest I was fine with how the third match went. The first 2 matches Taichi was able to keep up or even almost beat Arata because he didn't really care about winning or losing as well as his hearing ability which had improved greatly, something he had learned from Sou-san.He also played physcological games with Arata to give him an edge but I feel like Arata was going to always have an edge in karuta because that's the only thing he is good at. In the third match, Taichi expressed his feelings of wanting to watch Chihaya upclose, and I think we can factor in jealousy here, Arata took it up a notch feeling like a demon and even expressing regret for doing so. To be honest, I've always believed Arata would be way stronger than Taichi in Karuta and the outcome was obvious.

The Romance:
Oh yes, the very bitter topic of discussion in chihayafuru

I agree that Chihaya's feelings for Arata are romantasized and intertwined with karuta. She used to look up to Arata as a role model and idolises him. Arata is someone far away and she can fantisize about him. This is exactly why I think they won't end up together. It makes me sad to think that one of the guys won't end up with Chihaya even though they both love her. Half the fandom is going to end up getting hurt. Although Chihaya did admit she would always love Arata. Although now Arata is closer to her he is providing a supporting role to her while she longs for Taichi

Taichi on the other hand is the one close to her, almost like a best friend. I feel like Taichi's confession really ended up hurting her because now she was conflicted between 3 things that she loved-Karuta, Arata & Taichi. Indeed her best memories are with Misusawa and Arata might come down to a supporting role for Taichi and Chihaya and Chihaya definetely misses Taichi in her life. Like the way she was bitter when Taichi lost to Arata or as you mentioned in the panel of the shrines she looks for taichi or sees if she got a message from him. Arata just hasn't been given the opportunity.

But on the other hand Chihaya also seems jealous of the queen and Arata's connection. Taichi also said that Chihaya's core isn't him and I think he may play a supporting role in Chihaya getting over him and moving on to be with Arata, since he has been doing stuff from the sideline and he has been talking about his role. Taichi is Chihaya's missing Chiha card.

Yes, I also feel like Arata will lose the next round because he has lost focus and is thinking about Chihaya and maybe an appearance from Taichi will make it even worse. I also feel that Chihaya may not become queen due to a loss in the fifth round but Taichi will be there to support her while Arata will become Meijin and be at the peak alone.

That's my pov and I've been frustrated ever since catching up with the manga because i just want to know who ends up with who haha.I just want the 3 of them to end up happy
Jun 15, 2020 9:27 AM

Oct 2012
@Soban_Asif,
aaaaaaaaw me too I hope they end up happy, but just like in the matches of karuta there has to be a loser, in the game of love as well.....(maybe Chihaya considered a threesome somewhere along the line, hahahahah) No but serious, Taichi has no confidence at all that Chihaya loves him back. Seen from his pov, he knows Arata confessed before him, he was rejected so I think he totally expects Chihaya to have accepted or will accept Arata's confession. That's why he has decided to not go to the finals. He probably feels he doesn't have his place there anymore, and still loves Chihaya so it's too painful to go and assist to their consacration, even if he wishes them well by now.

Whatever may happen, Sensei will have more and more trouble hiding Chihaya's true feelings. From Chihaya's pov, she has hurt Taichi immensly, for years (her own words) and felt so bad about it, she couldn't play karuta anymore. But she bounced back, because of Arata and made the decision to wait for Taichi, his words ringing in her ears from the time they waited for Arata.

The challengers was probably also a very emotional moment for Chihaya to leave Taichi behind......those bitter tears can mean so much. And then the fading feelings.

Chihaya probably thinks Taichi has distanced himself for good but she can't help what her heart is feeling.....and still hoping, pining.

As for Arata......I guess he feels the weight of not knowing what went down, and being far. But like I said, that's how life is. Because he has very little interactions with Chihaya he can only guess what's wrong with her. He definitely has noticed that Taichi isn't there. Chihaya's gave him a big hint because of her reaction to that sms. Arata is far from dense and probably has understood what she wanted.

Maybe the romance won't be resolved and will end with an open friendship ending. Very possible. But Sensei had 10 years to think about it all, so let's say there is a big chance she will show us what's in Chihaya's heart (Daddy bear!)

I sort of think Chihaya may not become queen either. It would be a courageous step of the mangaka to let her heroine lose........so I still think she can't resist the temptation of having her win.

I have no doubt Arata will win. He has too much plotamour for me to get excited about his matches anymore. I can't believe the way Sensei is depicting the 2 first Meijin matches........I really love a good sports manga, this is also one of the reasons I really like Chihayafuru . To me that side of the story is at it's weakest at the moment. I hope it will step up in the coming chaps. Sensei probably will find a way to sweep us off our feet (I hope).

Chihayafuru really has been a great experience up till now: the poems, the sport, friendship, romance, drama, a vary of different people: elderly, married with children, teenagers, parents, it really treats all kind of ages and personalities. Even if it has some glitches here and there, it has turned out to be such a wholesome experience.

chiakimagotoJun 15, 2020 9:35 AM
Jun 15, 2020 4:30 PM
Feb 2017
@chiakimagoto

Indeed chihayafuru has been great. We can only anticipate the coming chapters and patiently wait. I look forward to discussing the chapters with you as they arrive.

Until Then, Bye Bye.
Jun 15, 2020 5:41 PM

Sep 2010
Soban_Asif said:
Like the way she was bitter when Taichi lost to Arata or as you mentioned in the panel of the shrines she looks for taichi or sees if she got a message from him.

Sorry to chime in, but this called me. She wasn't bitter Taichi lost. If you re-read the ending sequence, she begins to cry alongside Arata when Arata is spilling aloud Taichi stuck to Karuta to play with him despite not being the best at it, while he didn't play the things Taichi was good as and regrets it. I think Chihaya realized he did the same for her so she starts crying with Arata. It's not about Taichi losing this match, but Taichi playing with her even if he wasn't good or passionate about it.

I mean you can take it as something romantic, but in that case, then Arata's feelings are romantic too. Heck, he was the one who made Taichi like karuta in the end, and the one who got him 100% (Chihaya only did after Arata's words). ;P
Jun 15, 2020 5:58 PM
Feb 2017
@Thess

Are you team Arata because I am team Arata too haha.

Jokes aside, some inteprations of her bitter tears as Oee-san called them were for the feeling that Taichi lost as he tried his very best in the face of Arata's overwhelming power, just as in future panels she is seen to face an overwhelming power which is Shinobu and she draws the comparison that she and Taichi are alike, while Arata and Shinobu are alike.

I also would like to believe that she was crying in that scene as the three of them had now become two, but it still feels like she wants Taichi to be there. As I've said previously Taichi and Arata's bond is overlooked yet it a strong one indeed.
Jun 15, 2020 7:22 PM

Sep 2012
Actually "bitter tears" is a mistranslation in chapters 206, and 207. Chihaya/Kana didn't shed bitter tears, they shed strong tears. Bitter tears was translated correctly in chapter 225. Someone pointed this out, and shared it on FB.
Jun 15, 2020 10:38 PM

Oct 2012
Thess said:
Soban_Asif said:
Like the way she was bitter when Taichi lost to Arata or as you mentioned in the panel of the shrines she looks for taichi or sees if she got a message from him.

Sorry to chime in, but this called me. She wasn't bitter Taichi lost. If you re-read the ending sequence, she begins to cry alongside Arata when Arata is spilling aloud Taichi stuck to Karuta to play with him despite not being the best at it, while he didn't play the things Taichi was good as and regrets it. I think Chihaya realized he did the same for her so she starts crying with Arata. It's not about Taichi losing this match, but Taichi playing with her even if he wasn't good or passionate about it.

I mean you can take it as something romantic, but in that case, then Arata's feelings are romantic too. Heck, he was the one who made Taichi like karuta in the end, and the one who got him 100% (Chihaya only did after Arata's words). ;P

I'm chiming in to cause it's me who used the word bitter tears. The translators actually had another discussion with us on another group. There seems to be no adequate word for what is said in Japanese. Strong tears isn't really an expression that fits in English, so bitter tears is probably what comes closest.

I don't think those tears are specifically romantic either: they were about so many things, one what you pointed out........also it is always bittersweet to leave a nakama behind, but you know you can only look forward, determinedly. heheh.
Jun 15, 2020 10:44 PM

Sep 2010
@Soban_Asif: I'm Team Friendship, I've already said the romance on both sides is not developed to my taste. I think this "bitter tears" stuff was already corrected. It was just heavy crying, but the reason why Kana and Chihaya cried was different too. Kana surely cried because Taichi lost but Chihaya started crying when Arata cried and started giving his speech about Taichi. It's very hard to miss because Chihaya's open mouth face with running tears is on every panel Arata talks about Taichi struggle to play in their passion to be with them. I think at that moment, the years and time spent on this sank in Chihaya's head. She probably didn't think about this specifically, just the fact Taichi left the club/hates karuta/she feels guilty about it.

I don't think Chihaya and Taichi are too alike, Taichi is alike both of his sensei. There's been comparisons with them especially certain Meijin and Taichi. The whole thing, IMO, was about making Chihaya and Arata realize Taichi stuck with them despite not loving karuta or being as talented on it. It was not about his defeat, or Chihaya would have cried when he lost rather when Arata started to make his speech. It was about they acknowledging his efforts, that's why Taichi could finally like karuta. It's another example of bonding through karuta.

Maybe she probably also felt bad she didn't try out his interests as much effort Taichi put in hers.
ThessJun 15, 2020 10:52 PM
Sep 15, 2020 6:10 AM
Nov 2019
Team Taichi for sure!
Sep 15, 2020 9:54 AM

Oct 2012
Yay!!! Taichi is winning!!!!

Feels good to make a shout out!!!
Nov 1, 2020 9:09 PM
Nov 2020
I hope she stays with Arata! Everything she has done so far has been in the name of a feeling she has for him.It was the way she found to keep Arata close to her and she wanted to be the best for over 4 years waiting for the day of this passion to bring love closer. Taichi is a petty character, often acting cowardly and trying to manipulate people even if unconsciously, by emotion Taichi did not play karuta to win the game but to win her heart. Which is disgusting. She wanted to bring love closer and he wanted to win it. I really hope the author has the sensitivity to see
Nov 1, 2020 11:06 PM

Oct 2012
The climax of the story just doesn't seem to be leading to that at all. I wonder how change in a person's heart and behaviour is such an unacceptable thing to perceive.
Nov 23, 2020 11:22 AM
Jul 2014
Taichi is the best character in chihayafuru.
XSaitoZNov 23, 2020 11:25 AM
Aug 19, 2021 6:17 PM

Aug 2020
honestly speaking taichi deserves better than chihaya

so i want chihaya to end up with arata because i hate both of them
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Problem with this manga.

Suiely_c-ute - Mar 22

4 by LaytonPuzzle27 »»
Jun 8, 10:25 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 247 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaahHeim - Jul 31, 2022

198 by Kagura-chan »»
May 11, 11:12 PM

» Chihayafuru Sequel - Chihayafuru plus - kimi ga tame announced

ItzElite - Oct 31, 2023

19 by CelticMindset »»
Jan 2, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 205 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

79 by Zooincle »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 134 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2014

15 by Zooincle »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.