Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
May 3, 2015 12:58 AM
Feb 2014
icirate said:
NicoIsPathetic said:
Besides, interpretations of literature are the most subjective thing or among the most subjective things in academia, unless we are stating the facts of the said literature. Critical analysis itself is never objective unless it is, once again, summarizing.

It's easy to draw a clear distinction between a critical analysis that provides justification for its conclusions and one that doesn't. It's easy to draw a clear distinction between a critical analysis that justifies its conclusions in a way that coherently traces back to aspects of the text and one that simply summarizes parts of a text before making illogical leaps from its premises to its conclusion.

There are metrics like that which can be used to effectively contrast an intelligent analysis from a noticeably less intelligent one. If that's not objectivity, it's still a good enough substitute for it; it's a good enough approximation of objectivity as far as any of us should be concerned.

Technically you are correct but in some cases it's good to explore multiple conclusions at once on the subjective matters of literature, mainly interpretation. If a paper's thesis is this, it should explore on that rather than concentrating on just one, unless that is the personal standpoint that you agree with and unless your thesis is to prove other relative theses incorrect through proof and observation. But again, there is no exact answer as to which interpretation is correct, unless the author himself or herself says so. Once again, your own work is your own objectivity, yet that does not mean it is inherently objective in substance and form if another person tries to disprove an author's intentions that don't align themselves with what the author says. No need to guess ulterior motives in that situation.
May 3, 2015 1:03 AM

Oct 2012
Solipsistic said:
Neither I nor Auto is defending the use of IQ as a metric, or xE's lists. I think they should never have been made.
Autocrat used the word "intelligence" plenty of time in his posts. Intelligence can only be measured by IQ. I don't know how you can deny one thing and assert the other.

Solipsistic said:
Let me make sure I understand your worry: Are you saying that there is no objective way to decide whether one person's post reflects greater comprehension (of a given idea) than another person's post?
I don't have a worry, it doesn't influence me in the slightest.

Solipsistic said:
Do you concede there is an objective way, but it doesn't matter because in the context of a club, the admin(s) can't be trusted to use it? Please clarify a little here.
No. Why should I concede anything when you have no argument?

Solipsistic said:
I think that once you concede there is an objective way to do that, it's a short step to say club admins could use it. Why? Because then, at least theoretically, the admins should be able to cite reasons for why they permit or deny entry of certain people. They could do things like cite specific posts by that person, that showed clear ability to comprehend complex arguments, not commit logical fallacies, etc.
Do you consider that xEmptiness' argument for "magic" is replete with logical fallacies? Who gets to decide this?

Solipsistic said:
If you object that the admins’ evaluations would be subjective, I go back to my "logic is patent, but still technically deniable; that doesn't mean we should consider it subjective" point. The admin evaluations, done correctly, would be no more subjective than you explaining to someone why affirming the consequent is erroneous.
Once again, demonstrating that you don't know the limitations of deductive logic. I think I'm a great judge of consistency, but to assert that one person could reliably, and objectively, do it for everyone else is absurd. "Affirming the consequent" is so irrelevant here. We're not talking about syllogisms, but consistency between an argument and external, empirical facts and world views. Hint: Induction. Using Latin words like modus ponens isn't impressive when it's not relevant.

Solipsistic said:
katsucats said:
A "band of variance" is defined as such….
I understand the general concept you are outlining. Let me see if I get how it fits into your dispute with Auto.
Auto says: club membership can depend on how strong and productive (s&p) a user’s arguments are. You say: whether arguments are s&p must depend to some extent (due to the band of variance) on how much they already comport with the views of the person evaluating whether they are s&p. Thus, a user’s arguments being s&p is a biased/subjective/arbitrary metric for club membership. Before I go any further, tell me if this is indeed your view.
That is what I said with regards to "strong and productive".

Solipsistic said:
I thought I’d made it abundantly clear in the magic threads that I think no such definition has been given, by xe or anyone else. I was making the point that that is precisely the reason why the discussion got nowhere.
Then I fail to see the relevance. I'm capable of defining all the significant terms in my arguments.

Solipsistic said:
Specious in more ways than I care to go into (which is the hallmark of your posts). For now, I’ll just say that this is an irrelevant objection to my point.
It is entirely relevant when you keep bringing up shit like modus ponens, which only applies to deductive arguments. What's specious is your pretense in understanding. This debate is so easily settled by xEmptiness' list, even if not relevant to Danebenreden. It is relevant to this conversation. We can all make a such a list and see if everyone has the same list. If so, then you are correct about everything.

Solipsistic said:
There is still such a thing as erroneous reasoning in inductive arguments, and it is still patently recognizable (e.g. “I’ve never seen a non-white swan, therefore all swans are white”.) The principles of logical discourse still apply, and, again, are subjective only in the most trivial sense.
You are making the "edge of the gradient" argument that Icarate (sp?) made, which I've objected on account of irrelevance. We don't need to point to some absurdly reductive argument about white swans. We only need to look at arguments that are right in front of us, like this one, and "magic".

Solipsistic said:
Holy shit, it’s not beside the point at all. Cross-apply my 2nd and 3rd paragraphs (“Let me make sure….consequent is erroneous”) here. We don’t have to surrender our judgments to them; we can demand they reveal their reasoning behind why some arguments were poorly reasoned and some weren’t.
It appears you're a lost cause.... :(

Solipsistic said:
Would you trust someone to recognize modus tollens being done correctly, when they had to be accountable to a group of people?
God, stop saying modus tollens or modus ponens.

Solipsistic said:
Would you be worried that they’d be caught in a “herd mentality”, or would you trust that there are just some things, like whether modus tollens applies, that transcend consensus and are just…undeniably obvious, to the point where calling them subjective is ridiculous (even if the judgment does ultimately rest in an authoritative group’s hands)? (and if you bring up the deduction vs. induction thing again here, you’re really showing your ignorance).
No, I'm showing that I know what deduction is, whereas you don't.

Solipsistic said:
katsucats said:
I will never convince you of a point because you have no idea what you actually want to argue about, like most people on this site. I gave you reasons, justifications, for my beliefs, which you proceed to contradict in as many ways as you can think of, even when your arguments do not address the points in contention. Why should I respect you if you can't respect your own time or mine?
There it is. The most ironic paragraph I’ll ever read. My grandkids are gonna hear about this shit.
katsucats said:
I might actually enjoy this a bit beyond the rote, tedious, regurgitation of things I've already said to different people.
And you must think you “won” each of those exchanges. You’re not a genius or the world’s greatest logician. You are just a skilled debater. Don’t take that as a compliment, necessarily. All that means is you are good at maintaining a cursory appearance of winning. Your style is such that it is painstaking and frustrating to unpack all the misrepresentations you make. Your narrow, line-by-line focus gives the illusion of rigor, but really just facilitates you obfuscating the bigger picture and letting you rack up apparent “errors” your opponent is making. You’re uncharitable in the extreme, content with never conceding an inch and grinding debates’ progress to a halt for the sake of your ego. You’re fine with making a mess of the discussion, relying on the fact that your opponents generally lack the competence/focus to clean up what you leave in your wake. You know and exploit the fact that it is easier to spew casuistry than correct it; easier to destroy than repair. You are absolute hell to deal with. Most people just get exasperated enough that they leave, and you smugly chalk those up as victories.
I don't "win" arguments. I just tell the truth, and people get frustrated. With that said, do you feel better now that you've gotten this off your chest?

Solipsistic said:
Your antagonist title is a rightly deserved mark of shame. You’re so mired in hostility that I doubt you can even conceive of all I just said as anything but a personal attack that you have to outmaneuver, rather than genuine suggestion for how to be better at discussions. Take the advice, or take the bait. We both know which one you’ll choose.
When all else fails, attack a person's avatar. You can call it "taking the bait", but most of us know passive aggression when we see it.

Solipsistic said:
edit: all this being said, i can forgive you being a little short with me, considering the shite you're having to deal with in the magic threads. keep fighting the good fight there.
Do you mean short in length? Verbosity is counter-productive in lengthy posts, and can get picked apart on technicalities by some pedants in this thread (not you). Typing long-winded poetic posts isn't necessarily a sign of superiority. It's more like a sign that I can't take a person seriously enough to be direct.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 3, 2015 1:09 AM

Apr 2012
NicoIsPathetic said:
But again, there is no exact answer as to which interpretation is correct, unless the author himself or herself says so. Once again, your own work is your own objectivity, yet that does not mean it is inherently objective in substance and form if another person tries to disprove an author's intentions that don't align themselves with what the author says. No need to guess ulterior motives in that situation.
It's not about whether a critical analysis perfectly matches what some authority (in this case, the author) says. The point is that, even if we never get to talk to the author to settle it, it will still be possible to say some critical analyses are less justified/"intelligent" than others, because the book itself is an objective reference point, and any analysis ultimately has to be grounded in the text.
May 3, 2015 1:10 AM

Oct 2012
xEmptiness said:
Well he's just wrong. Sure you can't tell the difference in writing quality between Nabokov and Dazai or something, but the entry criteria to Dane isn't even close to that level. If you're able to string together a chain of coherent thought, you'll have no problem in here.

Like I said before, the entry criteria's so low that several users have PMed me about starting an actual elitist club.
I'm speaking in universals and you guys are talking particulars. I'm suggesting that using intelligence as a metric in a MAL club is counter-productive. If your counter-argument is that Danebenreden doesn't actually use intelligence, but gauge interest with 200-word introductory essays, then that fact would make Danebenreden irrelevant to my argument. I have said before that I hold nothing against this club, and have only used it as an example. Arguing against an example is not the same as arguing against the argument. Let's not throw the baby out of the bathwater, shall we?

With that said, we don't need Nabokov and Dazai to demonstrate this point. If I say that my writing quality is twice yours, would you be forced to agree with me?
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 3, 2015 1:17 AM
Feb 2014
Solipsistic said:
NicoIsPathetic said:
But again, there is no exact answer as to which interpretation is correct, unless the author himself or herself says so. Once again, your own work is your own objectivity, yet that does not mean it is inherently objective in substance and form if another person tries to disprove an author's intentions that don't align themselves with what the author says. No need to guess ulterior motives in that situation.
It's not about whether a critical analysis perfectly matches what some authority (in this case, the author) says. The point is that, even if we never get to talk to the author to settle it, it will still be possible to say some critical analyses are less justified/"intelligent" than others, because the book itself is an objective reference point, and any analysis ultimately has to be grounded in the text.

You're stating things I already know though. I'm just adding and subtracting to your claims because things aren't as unilateral as they are.

Yes, the book is indeed pertinently objective, everyone knows that, interpretation is not wholly objective though. Polysemy exists for a reason. I can't think of a good example right off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure I've read multiple books with multiple interpretations of it as part of research (I'm thinking of Moby-Dick to be specific, but this isn't really worthy of discussion in this thread as too much other shit is going on atm).
May 3, 2015 1:19 AM

Jun 2008
Zergneedsfood said:
Soul-Master said:
I summon Zerg to make a Miyazaki gif about NicoIsPathetic saying: "MAL was a mistake"

Where is your PayPal donate button?

Solipsistic said:
if i had munny i'd giv u leddit gold xDD pls except dis insted m'good sir ~tips fedora~

I've given out Reddit Gold for things that are far less deserving. That's how good this is.
May 3, 2015 1:39 AM

Oct 2012
xEmptiness said:
katsucats said:
I'm speaking in universals and you guys are talking particulars. I'm suggesting that using intelligence as a metric in a MAL club is counter-productive.
Using intelligence as a metric for any group is not only very productive, but it's what you unconsciously do anyway. Quality and exclusivity always go hand in hand.
There's a difference between judging quality for myself, and judging quality as an authority to others.

xEmptiness said:
katsucats said:
If I say that my writing quality is twice yours, would you be forced to agree with me?
We could leave someone more qualified to justify their views on this matter.
Then can we say that neither of us are qualified to authoritatively judge writing quality?
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 3, 2015 1:43 AM

Feb 2015
katsucats said:
Then can we say that neither of us are qualified to authoritatively judge writing quality?

Neither of you are; you're both stakeholders. Otherwise you'd both be competent enough to judge relative writing quality (relative to the context and message that was presumably trying to be conveyed).
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
May 3, 2015 1:50 AM

Dec 2013
What a coincidence! I got involved in this "wrong" community called MAL !
May 3, 2015 2:10 AM

Oct 2012
xEmptiness said:
katsucats said:
There's a difference between judging quality for myself, and judging quality as an authority to others.
Duh?... What's your point exactly?
I do not unconsciously judge quality as an authority to others. It would take deliberation to be put into that position. Now, are you unconsciously dense, or are you deliberately putting yourself into that position?
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 3, 2015 2:18 AM

Oct 2012
xEmptiness said:
katsucats said:
I do not unconsciously judge quality as an authority to others. It would take deliberation to be put into that position. Now, are you unconsciously dense, or are you deliberately putting yourself into that position?

Back at you. Use your brain and think:

If we agree that there is a difference between judging quality for self, and judging quality as an authority, then what can the proposition "you are stupid" possibly mean?
I think you're confusing a persuasion with authority. I can say, "Do this", or "You should do this". And all it would be is me, as a person with equal power, trying to get another person to think as I do. It would be different if I put on a police officer uniform and say, "Do this or I will arrest you." The proposition "You are stupid" could possibly mean one thing:

I think you are stupid and I think you should think so too.

Not

You are objectively stupid and I must be right.
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 3, 2015 3:24 AM

Apr 2012
katsucats said:
Now, are you unconsciously dense, or are you deliberately putting yourself into that position?
He simply disagrees with what you're saying, that's all.

Although hypocritical and dense at the same time.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
May 3, 2015 3:37 AM

Jun 2014
Immahnoob said:
hypocritical and dense at the same time.
May 3, 2015 8:53 AM

Apr 2012
katsucats said:
Autocrat used the word "intelligence" plenty of time in his posts. Intelligence can only be measured by IQ. I don't know how you can deny one thing and assert the other.
Are we seriously back to this? He meant "aptitude", for shit’s sake.

katsucats said:
I don't have a worry, it doesn't influence me in the slightest.
Lel, are you kidding me? That's how you're going to dodge my question? Answer it so we can actually make some progress.

katsucats said:
No. Why should I concede anything when you have no argument?
Just how obtuse are you trying to look? I'm asking for your view; no shit I'm not "giving an argument". I'm giving you the chance to make yours, so I can respond without misrepresenting you. These are the kind of idiotic tactics of yours that I'm talking about. You're either a moron or intentionally slowing down this debate.

katsucats said:
Do you consider that xEmptiness' argument for "magic" is replete with logical fallacies? Who gets to decide this?
Wow ok, so you do want to go down that road, then. You really want to go, "who's to say why anything's a bad argument?? CAN YOU PROVE I’M COMMITTING A FALLACY??” Pay attention, because this is why I kept bringing up modus ponens: if you want to argue that no one “gets to decide” that xe is being fallacious, then you have to also concede that no one “gets to decide” that modus ponens holds, or that it’s being used validly in a particular argument. Basically, you throw logical discourse out the window, because apparently deciding whether syllogisms are valid is too subjective for you. (also, please read the whole post before typing a reply to this; I address the induction/deduction thing later).

katsucats said:
Once again, demonstrating that you don't know the limitations of deductive logic. I think I'm a great judge of consistency, but to assert that one person could reliably, and objectively, do it for everyone else is absurd.
Good thing I’m not asserting that. I said that the judge would be accountable to being questioned/having to justify himself to others at any time. So the assertion is really this: “a group of people can reliably, and objectively, determine when logical fallacies (even just the flagrant ones would be sufficient for my point) are present in an argument”. That, I don’t think, is absurd.

katsucats said:
"Affirming the consequent" is so irrelevant here. We're not talking about syllogisms, but consistency between an argument and external, empirical facts and world views. Hint: Induction. Using Latin words like modus ponens isn't impressive when it's not relevant.
Alright, here’s where I really hope you learn something. Sincerely. I hope you never carelessly toss around “but that’s inductive, not deductive!” as an objection ever again.

Arguments/discussions generally (yes, even the real world ones) involve both kinds of reasoning. Let’s take the example topic “should handguns be outlawed?”. Now, can we a priori deduce the answer to this question? Obviously not. But as you’re about to see, this does not make deductive reasoning irrelevant to the discussion.

The first question to tackle would be “what makes something worthy of being outlawed?” Let’s say we agree on “that which violates the constitution” as our major premise. Then, after consulting it, establish the minor premise “handguns do not violate the constitution”. Therefore, it follows that handguns should not be outlawed. HOLY SHIT, DEDUCTIVE REASONING, ABOUT A REAL WORLD THING! CONSISTENCY BETWEEN AN ARGUMENT AND EXTERNAL, EMPIRICAL FACTS!

Let’s take another example (that more explicitly involves induction): our major premise is now “that which causes more deaths than it saves lives” is what ought be outlawed. Now for our minor premise, we are going to need to demonstrate “handguns cause more deaths than they save lives”. Now, considering that’s an obviously empirical claim, we are going to run into induction. So let’s say we look at the past few years’ crime data (which is unusually comprehensive) and see annual averages of 10k gun deaths per year, and 5k people that were saved by guns. Can we deductively conclude that that trend is going to continue into this year and those to come? No, it has to be inductive. Anyway, we can conclude from all this that handguns should be outlawed.

Please, please notice what happened here: we explicitly used induction to justify one of the premises, but there is still deduction involved in whether that premise actually connects with the rest of the argument in a coherent, logical way. In other words, we used inductive reasoning to conclude “guns will cause more deaths than they save lives”. Then, with that as a premise, we used deductive reasoning to answer the larger question of the discussion, even though it appears to be a worldly, a posteriori issue.

katsucats said:
Solipsistic said:
Auto says: club membership can depend on how strong and productive (s&p) a user’s arguments are. You say: whether arguments are s&p must depend to some extent (due to the band of variance) on how much they already comport with the views of the person evaluating whether they are s&p. Thus, a user’s arguments being s&p is a biased/subjective/arbitrary metric for club membership.
That is what I said with regards to "strong and productive".
Good. Then let’s look more closely at that argument.

I think there are really only a few different reasons 2 people's positions may be "unbridgeable": 1) a fundamental difference in values (baseline assertions that they won't budge on, like "suffering is bad"), 2) no understanding of common terms (like refusing to commit to a definition of "magic" even when it is the idea at the core of the debate, or adopt a reasonable one that both sides are willing to share), which doesn’t let the argument proceed at all, and 3) refusal to accord with basic logical principles (e.g. refusing to acknowledge the error of affirming the consequent). Now, the second and third must be overcome in debates, always, for what I hope are obvious reasons. I think it’s really the first that you’re referring to as things that too often separate people.

And to that, I flatly disagree. If two people have common terms and a shared capacity to identify flawed reasoning (I really hope you don’t bring up deduction vs induction again. Once again, we can still identify faulty reasoning in inductive contexts, by calling into question whether the variables were controlled enough to infer causality, whether it’s unlikely to be due to chance, other principles of statistics, etc.), then I think it is always possible for them to have a meaningful discussion. Or, to put this back into the relevant context, I think it is possible for them to make “strong and productive” arguments. Their difference is simply having a different baseline value (similar to major premise), but we can still evaluate whether their arguments are s&p with respect to their baseline value, even when it differs from our own. It’s similar to saying a syllogism’s valid but not sound, in a way. I think suffering, not autonomy, is the foundation of ethics, but I can still recognize that people like xE can competently put forward s&p arguments that lead back to his autonomy position. Maybe you think these disputes are useless in the end, but I think that precisely uncovering and articulating the exact, basic spot where people disagree is actually worthwhile.
And once again, if you deny that people can objectively judge the strength of others’ reasoning (with respect to the others’ baseline values), we’re back to the “WHO DECIDES I’M BEING ILLOGICAL” impasse.

katsucats said:
Then I fail to see the relevance. I'm capable of defining all the significant terms in my arguments.
The relevance is that being able to do so is a prerequisite for any discussion to occur, and so is one thing that constrains our band of variance. That is, the debaters’ views cannot differ so much that they have different notions of the terms being discussed altogether.

katsucats said:
This debate is so easily settled by xEmptiness' list….We can all make a such a list and see if everyone has the same list. If so, then you are correct about everything.
Good on you for trying to make this testable, seriously. I think there are some important details you’re leaving out, though. My argument would imply not that if everyone made a list right now it’d be identical. My argument implies this: if xE were tried by the court of public “logical judgment”, and forced to cite examples and explain his reasoning (e.g. “in this post, user X drew conclusions from his premises (which may be inductively supported) that clearly did not follow”), then the truth/falsehood of what he was saying would be, if explained simply and clearly enough, apparent to any reasonable person watching*. So, after that were done extensively for the whole list (with xE being willing to revise it along the way), I do think it’s possible for the people to largely agree/converge on one list. That is all that the truth of my argument would imply.
*Again, if you have a problem with this, you’re expressing a deeper skepticism about objective logical evaluation in general, and we’re back at the “HOW DO YOU KNOW I’M BEING FALLACIOUS” stage again. It doesn’t matter that we’re not strictly arguing deductively, because the same logical principles involved in deductive reasoning will still apply in just about every argument. I know I’m repeating myself, but this just keeps coming up.

katsucats said:
You are making the "edge of the gradient" argument that Icarate (sp?) made, which I've objected on account of irrelevance. We don't need to point to some absurdly reductive argument about white swans. We only need to look at arguments that are right in front of us, like this one, and "magic".
It’s not irrelevant. Once you admit that the corner cases are tenable/untenable (which is how 80% of philosophical thought experiments start), then we can try to collapse the “normal” cases down into homologous cases that are ultimately tenable/untenable for the same reasons/by the same logic as the extreme ones. And, any skilled enough logician/debater will be able to, I contend, parse opponents’ arguments and ultimately reduce them to the bare-bones logical principles that underlie them. Once we’re at this point, if you admit the corner cases (e.g. white swan case) are obvious enough that we don’t have to worry about observer subjectivity, then you have to admit the same is true here.

katsucats said:
God, stop saying modus tollens or modus ponens….No, I'm showing that I know what deduction is, whereas you don't.
Well, now that you hopefully understand why it is actually relevant to bring these things up, can you answer my question?:
Would you trust someone to recognize modus tollens being done correctly, when they had to be accountable to a group of people? Would you be worried that they’d be caught in a “herd mentality”, or would you trust that there are just some things, like whether modus tollens applies, that transcend consensus and are just…undeniably obvious, to the point where calling them subjective is ridiculous (even if the judgment does ultimately rest in an authoritative group’s hands)?
Even if you still think modus tollens is irrelevant or whatever, just answer the above questions. It is actually key to me understanding your position. If you are seriously doubtful of even the ability for anyone to objectively spot patent principles of logic (e.g. modus ponens) being upheld or violated, then this discussion needs to go in one particular direction. If you accept that it’s possible, but instead just think that MAL posts cannot be reduced to principles as obviously evaluated as modus ponens, then our discussion will need to go in another direction to address that.

katsucats said:
I don't "win" arguments. I just tell the truth, and people get frustrated.
Keep telling yourself that.
katsucats said:
With that said, do you feel better now that you've gotten this off your chest?
As I thought, you’re incapable of imagining that I actually think you’re smart and could be a truly great, non-frustrating debater to engage with if you just changed your approach a little; instead, you conclude it just has to be me “on your nuts” or having something to get off my own chest that motivated me.

katsucats said:
You can call it "taking the bait", but most of us know passive aggression when we see it.
When aggression is simply boiling over out of people like you, you will undoubtedly project and perceive it in situations where it is actually not there/intended to be.

katsucats said:
Do you mean short in length? Verbosity is counter-productive in lengthy posts, and can get picked apart on technicalities by some pedants in this thread (not you). Typing long-winded poetic posts isn't necessarily a sign of superiority. It's more like a sign that I can't take a person seriously enough to be direct.
Not strictly length; it’s more of a tonal thing. You can substitute “testy”, in this case. http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/short+with
May 3, 2015 2:52 PM

Oct 2012
For the last fucking time. There are formal fallacies (e.g. affirming the consequent) and informal fallacies (e.g. appealing to emotion, god of the gaps). The former only applies to deductive arguments. Not every argument ends up in an Immahnoob caricature with someone pointing out someone else' obvious fallacies. You can point to examples of fallacies that would give us no pause. That itself, ironically, could be rejected on account of irrelevant to the obvious fact that two people could come up with very detailed arguments and still never reach one singular conclusion. The mere occurrence of this argument between us, also ironically, invalidates your entire argument.

You can spend paragraphs speculating about my personality, which is a pastime you can do by yourself. Whether you think I'm smart or aggressive or anything else has no bearing on your argument.

There is nothing further to say on this topic until you learn to stay on topic.
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 3, 2015 3:57 PM

Apr 2012
katsucats said:
For the last fucking time. There are formal fallacies (e.g. affirming the consequent) and informal fallacies (e.g. appealing to emotion, god of the gaps). The former only applies to deductive arguments. Not every argument ends up in an Immahnoob caricature with someone pointing out someone else' obvious fallacies. You can point to examples of fallacies that would give us no pause.
Are you autistic? Do you need everything spelled out for you? My point should be incredibly obvious, but here it is put simply anyway: stop having a stroke over induction/deduction. The whole point is that affirming the consequent, AND appeal to emotion, god of the gaps, etc., are all easily recognizable and fairly undeniable when they're cited and explained clearly by a skilled logician/debater (which the club admin would be). You say not every argument ends up this way, but honestly, they generally could be reduced to it. Look at how I simply phrased your dispute with auto on s&p subjectivity, for instance. I put it into a format clear enough that any competent observer could spot any fallacies (informal, formal, doesn't matter) present.

katsucats said:
That itself, ironically, could be rejected on account of irrelevant to the obvious fact that two people could come up with very detailed arguments and still never reach one singular conclusion. The mere occurrence of this argument between us, also ironically, invalidates your entire argument.
I addressed this too. It's not about whether people actually agree on a conclusion. It's that you can spot errors in their reasoning along the way, in their posts (with respect to their basic values, which again may be unbridgeable), if you examine closely and trim the arguments down to their basic structures (which is not that hard to do, though it might be for you because of your awful style of discourse).

Our argument doesn't invalidate this at all. If we were to keep going, we'd eventually get to the stripped-down premises that really constitute our positions, and at that point your continual resistance to reason needs to be taken no more seriously than someone resisting modus ponens. (Again, it is appropriate to bring that "Latin phrase" up, because my whole point is that arguments can be stripped down to basic rational principles and then evaluated-- that's what a good debate should involve in the first place.) Once again, even if two people have 2 very detailed, seemingly irreconcilable positions, I firmly believe that it's possible to have an objective third party who can parse them effectively and reliably. He'd still be accountable to similar judgments of a majority, too. (And if you bring up band of variance, it's irrelevant here, as I addressed in my post.)

Look, if you want to end this quickly, address this distilled question: Is there no objective way to decide whether one person's post reflects greater comprehension (of a given idea) than another person's post?
May 3, 2015 4:18 PM

Oct 2012
Solipsistic said:
katsucats said:
For the last fucking time. There are formal fallacies (e.g. affirming the consequent) and informal fallacies (e.g. appealing to emotion, god of the gaps). The former only applies to deductive arguments. Not every argument ends up in an Immahnoob caricature with someone pointing out someone else' obvious fallacies. You can point to examples of fallacies that would give us no pause.
Are you autistic? Do you need everything spelled out for you? My point should be incredibly obvious, but here it is put simply anyway: stop having a stroke over induction/deduction. The whole point is that affirming the consequent, AND appeal to emotion, god of the gaps, etc., are all easily recognizable and fairly undeniable when they're cited and explained clearly by a skilled logician/debater (which the club admin would be). You say not every argument ends up this way, but honestly, they generally could be reduced to it. Look at how I simply phrased your dispute with auto on s&p subjectivity, for instance. I put it into a format clear enough that any competent observer could spot any fallacies (informal, formal, doesn't matter) present.
And your argument is self-evidently wrong. Where are the skilled logicians to arbiter this debate? And would either one of us concede even if one exists? It's like you're saying car accidents aren't an issue when you're in one.

Solipsistic said:
katsucats said:
That itself, ironically, could be rejected on account of irrelevant to the obvious fact that two people could come up with very detailed arguments and still never reach one singular conclusion. The mere occurrence of this argument between us, also ironically, invalidates your entire argument.
I addressed this too. It's not about whether people actually agree on a conclusion. It's that you can spot errors in their reasoning (snip)
No.

Solipsistic said:
If we were to keep going, we'd eventually get to the stripped-down premises that really constitute our positions
Like who, even someone like xEmptiness, would have the time to interpret everyone's arguments, and keep a feedback loop of communication with every poster to make sure they're not being misrepresented?

Solipsistic said:
, and at that point your continual resistance to reason
You mean your continuous misunderstanding of the limitations of deductive logic.

Solipsistic said:
needs to be taken no more seriously than someone resisting modus ponens.
Okay, this is getting nowhere. What does "resisting modus ponens" even mean? If telling the truth about the limitations of deduction means "resisting modus ponens", then yes I am and so should you. Unfortunately, for the 50th time, you don't actually understand what modus ponens is, apparently, for if you did, you wouldn't have made it your trump.

Solipsistic said:
Once again, even if two people have 2 very detailed, seemingly irreconcilable positions, I firmly believe that it's possible to have an objective third party
Objective third party... In law, an objective third party means someone who has no motive or inclination towards either the first or second party. It does not mean that the third party is objectively correct. OMFG

Solipsistic said:
Look, if you want to end this quickly, address this distilled question: Is there no objective way to decide whether one person's post reflects greater comprehension (of a given idea) than another person's post?
In most circumstances, no. But I have a better way of ending this quickly: I'll just ignore your ignorant ass. This is as tedious as teaching someone with Down syndrome how to stop drooling.
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 3, 2015 4:24 PM

Jul 2014
arguing on the net so fun!!!
May 3, 2015 4:50 PM

Aug 2013
katsucats said:
Autocrat said:
A straw man? Weren't you the one strawmanning when you assumed my attribution of the term intelligence to be a general and loosely applied one? Of which you proceeded to counter-argue it. I even made it clear that I was using intelligence in a relative and context specific way.
You clearly had no idea what kind of intelligence you were referring to when you said "managerial intelligence". Is that a liquid or crystallized intelligence? Is it visual-spatial, mathematic, naturalistic, existential? Your "intelligence" is akin to the intelligence of jumping off cliffs and clipping nails. It's only a straw man if it misrepresents your position. When I have your position nailed, it isn't a straw man, but an autocrat.

As Solipsistic has said, I was meaning aptitude. This was the better word.

A high managerial aptitude would make use of fluid and crystalised intelligence. The ability to do the defined tasks in this job well makes use of multiple areas of intelligence.

Don't jump the gun, katsucats. I'm a firm believer in democracy, so I'm going to have to challenge that little "autocrat" of yours.
May 3, 2015 5:08 PM

Apr 2012
katsucats said:
Solipsistic said:
In most circumstances, no.
Well, that's the concession I was looking for. You're really admitting that there's no objective way to differentiate between a post that adds nothing intelligent to a discussion, does not even comprehend the OP, has no interest in making arguments that logically connect with each other, etc.; from a post that does. That's absolutely insane to me, but if you're so committed to not admitting you're wrong that you'll adopt an absurd stance like that, go right ahead. 99% of reasonable people would say "yes, it's possible that one essay/argument/remark/anything is factually less shit than another", but apparently you're not one of them.
May 3, 2015 5:17 PM
Feb 2014
this is better than shutter island

leo dicaprio as solipsistic and ben kingsley as katsucats

10/10
AqutanMay 3, 2015 5:22 PM
May 3, 2015 5:19 PM

Oct 2008
Democracy said:
Back when I played Final Fantasy 14 ARR I realized my small Free Company(guild) wouldn't be able to handle the hardest end-game content so I joined a L33T group. It was a fucking nightmare and everyone spent more time criticizing each other than playing. If you played fine and didn't mess up they'd bitch about your computers specs, if you were playing on a console they'd blame your "shortcomings" on the console, if that didn't work they'd criticize each others bandwith or mbps blegh it was always some excuse. Eventually I just said fuck it and spent my last few months building the guilds house and left them a few million Gil to do whatever they wanted with.

Reminds me of this.
May 3, 2015 5:50 PM

Feb 2015
katsucats said:
The mere occurrence of this argument between us, also ironically, invalidates your entire argument..

If that was the case it's a wonder that you ever bothered to reply with something other than 'NO U' - seeing as that would have been just as intelligent a response. Why go to the trouble of categorizing fallacies, right?

I'm calling out that quote as an example of either circular reasoning or assuming the conclusion, because it's sufficient for demonstrating a flaw in your reasoning (a lapse in aptitude (or demonstrated intelligence), if you will) and also because tl;dr the rest of that bloated mess of an argument lol
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» What Compliment Do You Hear Most Often?

ParisPlayboy01 - Yesterday

21 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
26 minutes ago

» Biggest life hot takes? ( 1 2 3 )

Rabnawaz2 - Jun 15

129 by LoveYourSmile »»
36 minutes ago

» Do you read posts here that are long?

_--UwU--_ - 2 hours ago

9 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
39 minutes ago

» Has anyone here tried learning an artificial language?

Malkshake - Jun 14

14 by DesuMaiden »»
44 minutes ago

» Having Waifu = No girlfriend ( 1 2 3 )

Kaiser-chan - May 23, 2016

129 by DesuMaiden »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.