Forum Settings
Forums

what do u think about fillers? Good OR Bad??

New
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Sep 16, 2009 9:25 PM

Aug 2007
KyokoBeat said:
I don't particularly mind fillers. I think that if they help develop characters, like the fillers in the D. Gray Man, then I can totally watch them, no problem. The fillers I can't stand are the flashback and recap fillers.

There is no character development in fillers because it is filler.

Mjaut said:
Current Bleach fillers are far better than current canon story.

No filler is EVER better than ANY canon.
Sep 16, 2009 9:34 PM
Jan 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:

Mjaut said:

Sarcasm?
Sep 16, 2009 9:36 PM

Apr 2009
some fillers are just boring,,but some are entertaining as well..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 16, 2009 9:38 PM

Aug 2009
I don't actually mind fillers, as long as they're not irritating fillers like Tsubasa's.
Naruto's fillers don't bother me too much, Shonan's (sp?) generally have filler so if you expect it it doesn't bother you as much.
Sep 16, 2009 9:39 PM

Jun 2009
I don't like fillers at all >_>
Well, I guess they're okay if they're actually entertaining, & as long as they still follow the story otherwise...
Sep 16, 2009 9:48 PM

Mar 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:
KyokoBeat said:
I don't particularly mind fillers. I think that if they help develop characters, like the fillers in the D. Gray Man, then I can totally watch them, no problem. The fillers I can't stand are the flashback and recap fillers.

D. Gray Man had fillers that had character develop. Without the fillers I wouldn't have known the background story for characters such as Deisya and Suman. The fillers helped a lot with that for me.

Sep 16, 2009 9:52 PM

Aug 2007
-Shio said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Mjaut said:

Sarcasm?

Why would that be sarcasm? Fillers can never be better than canon.

KyokoBeat said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
KyokoBeat said:

D. Gray Man had fillers that had character develop. Without the fillers I wouldn't have known the background story for characters such as Deisya and Suman. The fillers helped a lot with that for me.

They had no background because fillers are filler and don't count. Although Suman wasn't filler since the author did his back story.
Sep 16, 2009 9:53 PM
Jan 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:
-Shio said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Mjaut said:

Sarcasm?

Why would that be sarcasm? Fillers can never be better than canon.

Talking about Mjaut's sarcasm.
Sep 16, 2009 10:07 PM

Apr 2009
Is this supposed to be a rhetorical question? Fillers are definitely bad. Once in a long while a filler episode will be entertaining, but as a whole its not worth it. One or two good fillers doesn't make up for hundreds of crap ones.

Okay, maybe Im just sore because I had to sit through long blocks of Naruto fillers, but still, that's how I feel.

Sep 17, 2009 12:42 AM
Sep 2007
-Shio said:

Talking about Mjaut's sarcasm.
It's not a sarcasm.

I won't say that I consider everyone who dislikes fillers as an ungrateful jerks, especially when it's something they have for free, but yeah...

To me what's most important in anime series is high level of entertainment, and that's exactly what current fillers have - they're more fun to watch, than current point in manga.

I don't care if fillers aren't canon, as long as they're entertaining.

If anything, I'm at least honest to myself.
Sep 17, 2009 1:04 AM

Aug 2007
ShadowbladeEdge said:
Filler doesn't implicit good or bad like, hmm, I don't know, every other piece of entertainment ever.
Drunk_Samurai said:
No. Filler just means no meaningful plot development in a plot driven show.

Only character development from canon counts. Filler character development is not canon therefore it doesn't actually exist.
Sep 17, 2009 5:35 AM
Sep 2007
So, all that happened in first Fullmetal Alchemist series doesn't count as canon, since that anime didn't follow manga in entirety?

OK.
Sep 17, 2009 6:45 AM

Aug 2009
I do not mind fillers. I do not read mangas and I am not going to get pissed everytime they deviate from the original storyline. If I got pissed everytime they deviated from the orginal storyline then I wouldn't watch the Spiderman,X-men,Wolverine, Punisher, Incredible Hulk, Batman or any other movies or cartoons based on comic books. Once in a blue moon when I look at wikipedia to see how the manga version ended I do think it might have been better if they used the manga's version of the ending instead of creating their own,this could be because the anime is ahead of the anime.

Now season recaps piss me off.They are not original stories just bits and are just pieces of other shows cut and pasted together to basically make a flashback episode.Who ever thought of this concept should be dragged out in the street and beaten. All these things do is piss off fans especially if they packaged that recap episode as a special instead of a recap episode which pisses fans off because it raises the hopes of the fan that they are actually getting to watch a new episode then it turns into a major disappointment when it is a recap or its a lot worse if they package it as a new series like Shuffle memories where only the last episode is actually a new episode while all the others are series recaps. If I knew how to write Japanese I would write the creators of that show cursing them out and asking them what the hell were they thinking making a whole series with nothing but recaps,except for one episode,what a douche bag thing to do to make a whole series practically nothing but recaps. They couldn't be like hey lets just package that episode that is actually orginal content as a OVA episode in Japan or a 25th episode if the series ever gets dubbed or subbed for the US or some other country? Seriously what they hell were these people thinking when they did Shuffle memories?
ezikialrageSep 17, 2009 6:53 AM
Sep 17, 2009 7:29 AM
Sep 2007
SBE, I know what fillers are.
Sep 17, 2009 7:47 AM
Sep 2007
ShadowbladeEdge said:
Mjaut said:
SBE, I know what fillers are.
Then why, pray tell, would you use that as an example. Also just because you do doesn't mean others do.
So you could have something to ask.
Sep 17, 2009 8:13 AM

Jun 2008
Bottom line, it depends how the particular filler arc was handled. Some, on my opinion were well done. Some examples I could think of are FMA and Gensoumaden Saiyuki.

Others, are pretty crap (*cough*Naruto*cough*)
Sep 17, 2009 9:45 AM

Jul 2007
Drunk_Samurai said:
ShadowbladeEdge said:
Filler doesn't implicit good or bad like, hmm, I don't know, every other piece of entertainment ever.
Drunk_Samurai said:

Only character development from canon counts. Filler character development is not canon therefore it doesn't actually exist.

Some fans consider content of a filler to be canon, some don't. I've seen a lot of fandoms in which the anime canon and the manga canon are considered separate things due to fillers. Surely there's nothing wrong with considering an anime-only event to be part of the anime's canon, but not the manga's (and vice versa)?

oh, these little earthquakes
Sep 17, 2009 10:06 AM

Mar 2008
fillers sucks ass, only retards watch fillers.
Sep 17, 2009 10:42 AM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
Fillers are lame.
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Sep 17, 2009 10:59 AM

Aug 2007
ShadowbladeEdge said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
That's bullshit, especially in the case of original properties. Skim through the TvTropes entry for examples, but as a preview the Excalibur episodes in Soul Eater display my point.

There is no such thing as filler in an original source. Also a "hilarious filler" does not make it canon.

Mjaut said:
So, all that happened in first Fullmetal Alchemist series doesn't count as canon, since that anime didn't follow manga in entirety?

OK.

Obviously not. Only the original source is canon and changing any ending or creating your own story is not canon.

Anomalous said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
ShadowbladeEdge said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Some fans consider content of a filler to be canon, some don't. I've seen a lot of fandoms in which the anime canon and the manga canon are considered separate things due to fillers. Surely there's nothing wrong with considering an anime-only event to be part of the anime's canon, but not the manga's (and vice versa)?

A lot of people do that because they want to believe some bullshit "hints" at love happen. Just check out the Naruto X Hinata fans.
Sep 17, 2009 11:02 AM

Aug 2009
Some are good, some are bad.
Sep 17, 2009 11:13 AM

Apr 2009
The Bleach zanpakutou arc is neat. But then again, Bleach has so much filler that I cant remember what the main story is anyway
Sep 17, 2009 11:19 AM

Aug 2009
That is quite hard to say. The reason why I dropped bleach is cuz of fillers. But naruto fillers are really good.( though in my opinion). Maybe fillers are inevitable cuz of many reaosns ( an anime becomes so popular that the producers dun want it to end so fast or maybe jst giving time for manga cuz it is jst some chapters ahead of anime.) :-)
ForsakenArcherSep 17, 2009 11:23 AM
We are the United. Even in defeat we stand united.

Sep 17, 2009 11:27 AM

May 2009
It's not that I like fillers, but if there weren't fillers, then we'd just have like breaks in the anime. Some filler like one piece and this current bleach arc aren't terrible, so I guess what I'm saying is I'd rather watch filler than nothing at all.
Sep 17, 2009 12:01 PM

Apr 2009
Bad. Mostly. With some exceptions that only prove first statement.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Sep 17, 2009 8:03 PM

Aug 2007
ShadowbladeEdge said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
There is no such thing as filler in an original source. Also a "hilarious filler" does not make it canon.
My apologies, for a split second I thought you weren't retarded, thank you for proving me wrong. Deviation does not equal filler. And about your canon bullshit, canon is whatever the creators fell deeming canon, Touhou is a great example of this.

I never said deviation means filler. I said it isn't canon because only the original source is canon.
Sep 17, 2009 8:06 PM

Aug 2009
i hate filler episodes i would much prefer to have a straighforward storyline and save the useless crap for special episodes like ova..
Sep 17, 2009 9:16 PM

Mar 2009
Pyrrhus said:
After seeing Bleach a bit, i got sick and tired of the fillers..
I just dont like them since they possibly have no plot reference =.=

THIS.
Sep 17, 2009 9:19 PM

Aug 2007
ShadowbladeEdge said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
I never said deviation means filler. I said it isn't canon because only the original source is canon.
That's stupid and wrong. Like I said Touhou is a superb example, and in Star Wars any two bit hack who can get a book published is considered canon. And what you're suggestng is asinine anyway because that make any adaption not canon.

Actually any adaption would still be canon as long as they don't fuck around with the canon too much. Even then they would still be considered canon. Perfect example is the Shippuden fillers that went against the canon. Adaptations that make their own story while it isn't filler is also not canon.
Drunk_SamuraiSep 17, 2009 9:25 PM
Sep 17, 2009 9:28 PM
Sep 2007
Christ, who gives a shit if it's a canon or not, as long as it's entertaining?
Sep 17, 2009 10:27 PM

Jul 2009
not all fillers are bad, just most of them

Sep 17, 2009 10:27 PM

Aug 2007
ShadowbladeEdge said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Actually any adaption would still be canon as long as they don't fuck around with the canon too much. Even then they would still be considered canon. Perfect example is the Shippuden fillers that went against the canon. Adaptations that make their own story while it isn't filler is also not canon.
What you don't seem to understand is that canon is a fan construct and continuity is solely up to the creators, no matter fucking contridictory it is, see above examples.

Except there is never filler in manga. It's like idiots who think the entire Skypiea arc in One Piece was filler.
Sep 17, 2009 10:31 PM
Apr 2008
Filler helps to shake things up a little bit. I like them.

Recap episodes, though? No thanks.
Sep 17, 2009 11:02 PM
Jul 2018
I think it's good when we have it once in a while especially when we really like the anime.
At least it's something extraordinary but not too much or else I will get bored of it =S
Sep 17, 2009 11:10 PM

Jun 2009
Good - but not always...
Bad - most of them...
Sep 17, 2009 11:12 PM
Aug 2009
Bad 99,9% of the time.
Sep 17, 2009 11:14 PM

Jul 2009
Love
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Sep 18, 2009 1:47 AM

Apr 2009
some fillers are enjoyable,,,except naruto,,hahah

I really hate sora's arc...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2009 3:32 AM

Aug 2009
Most fillers are bad, in my opinion, but I actually enjoyed some of the Naruto ones. People who says they all sucked haven't seen them all, probably. I watched all of them. Some were actually pretty interesting as some were pretty worthless. ^^
Sep 18, 2009 10:02 AM

Jul 2009
curry of life fwd
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Sep 18, 2009 11:14 AM

Aug 2007
ShadowbladeEdge said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Except there is never filler in manga. It's like idiots who think the entire Skypiea arc in One Piece was filler.
No. The most prevalent and obvious form of this would be omake, and any long running manga will have some. For the record all mediums are susceptible to filler.

How is this fucking relevent anyway?

Omakes are just special chapters. Some might be canon but most of them are not.
Sep 18, 2009 11:23 AM

Sep 2009
imthejanitor said:
not all fillers are bad, just most of them

SuWern said:
I think it's good when we have it once in a while especially when we really like the anime.
At least it's something extraordinary but not too much or else I will get bored of it =S

I agree with you two.
Sep 18, 2009 5:01 PM

Nov 2008
I love fillers, it's better than the real story most of the time.
Sep 18, 2009 5:08 PM

Jul 2009
virgo_sama said:

Bleach fwd
Sep 18, 2009 5:55 PM

Aug 2007
virgo_sama said:

Fillers are never better than canon.
Sep 18, 2009 6:02 PM
Jan 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:
virgo_sama said:

Again with the canon thing? Look, some show's fillers lack what the canon story actually has, such as plot or character growth but then again, some shows lack those parts altogether and people still watch them. Take Lucky Star. where was the last time you saw any character devlopement or a semblance of a plot there? Exactly. People still watch it, and like it.

I'm not going into the whole definition of canon thing that you and SBE did, but like he said, canon is completely decided by the creators, so even a filler would be canon if they chose to make it.

To the actual post though, fillers can be bad, or they can be good. Some of the fillers I've seen offer a comic relief episode(s) and are still entertaining. The filler stories, like in Naruto are pretty badly written and impossible to watch because you know that the characters won't have any impact anyways. So I see your point about canon always being better than filler, but that's not the case fillers can be just as equal as the canon show itself. One thing I will say though, is that fillers can probably never surpass the show itself..>_>
Sep 18, 2009 6:44 PM

May 2009
Well, the current Bleach fillers are damn good. Much better than the usual Bleach episode.
Sep 19, 2009 10:48 AM

Aug 2007
-Shio said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
virgo_sama said:

Again with the canon thing? Look, some show's fillers lack what the canon story actually has, such as plot or character growth but then again, some shows lack those parts altogether and people still watch them. Take Lucky Star. where was the last time you saw any character devlopement or a semblance of a plot there? Exactly. People still watch it, and like it.

I'm not going into the whole definition of canon thing that you and SBE did, but like he said, canon is completely decided by the creators, so even a filler would be canon if they chose to make it.

To the actual post though, fillers can be bad, or they can be good. Some of the fillers I've seen offer a comic relief episode(s) and are still entertaining. The filler stories, like in Naruto are pretty badly written and impossible to watch because you know that the characters won't have any impact anyways. So I see your point about canon always being better than filler, but that's not the case fillers can be just as equal as the canon show itself. One thing I will say though, is that fillers can probably never surpass the show itself..>_>

No mangaka has ever made a filler. Some have designed characters for a filler episode though. Fillers can never be as equal as the canon show at all.
Sep 19, 2009 10:59 AM
Sep 2007
-Shio, why don't you simply ignore him?
Sep 19, 2009 11:51 AM

Oct 2008
The idea itself is like side-quests in RPGs. I don't see anything wrong with it but of course, the idea of putting 10-20 fillers in-between story episodes wouldn't be very nice.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why do you think about Orihime from Bleach?

isolated-otaku - Jun 14

37 by Brunilde »»
51 seconds ago

» Favorite openings of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - Jun 6

19 by Animeistaken »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you have animes you've rated 5 and under on your completed list, why?

melodyily - 1 hour ago

9 by Zowabo »»
29 minutes ago

» Would you quit Anime if Anime caters to the West?

Dragevard - 3 hours ago

19 by Zowabo »»
31 minutes ago

» A very personal question

passtur - 5 hours ago

11 by Azuchi »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.