Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jun 2, 2013 3:01 PM
Nov 2011
hrms.. I just noticed Funimation has this episode listed as 32 not 8? IS that a mistake?
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Jun 2, 2013 3:08 PM

Mar 2012
Veretax said:
hrms.. I just noticed Funimation has this episode listed as 32 not 8? IS that a mistake?

24 episodes in season 1 Plus 8 (this episode) equals 32. Funimation put season 1 and this season on 1 list if I remember correctly.
(Also known on other places as Hiss13)

All hail the adorable chess master!
Jun 2, 2013 3:42 PM

Aug 2012
sheepling said:
This season is abnormally good for a Index/Railgun adaptation.

Exactly. I'm very surprised at how good this season is so far and I hope they keep it this way till the end.

When I first started to watch the Toaru I kept asking myself whenever the author really knew how much dystopian is the universe that he had created or was it an accident, because, while both Index seasons had their moments, everything was so clumsy, then in Toaru Kagaku no Railgun I was spoon-fed that yes, in fact, he knew. However this season plays with the dystopian setting perfectly. I'm curious what caused the change, a mere change in protagonist and perspective? I'm not familiar with the novels, so I can't tell if it's the author that evolved or if this is just a happy accident.
Jun 2, 2013 4:29 PM
May 2013
Academy City doesn't feel like a dystopia though. It has traits that can be found in dystopian settings, but it also lacks important ones. Dystopias usually contain social criticism through worst-case scenarios, something that Index and Railgun don't involve themselves in. It also doesn't have the lack of individuality the usually goes together with a dystopia.

The Index setting is more of a struggle to obtain technologies if anything; Academy City is only one of several groups that try to do so.
Jun 2, 2013 5:03 PM

Aug 2012
Hmm... I don't know about the lack of individuality, I think it's just not apparent because everyone in the Academy City in one extend or the other are nuts and we the viewers are socially trained to think that insane people are typically the most "individual", if that makes sense, but when everyone is insane the concept of "individualism" changes.

I don't know.... perhaps I'm over analyzing, but basically this series seems to be about Science and Church, two absolute authorities, who are given the free rein and bunch of cute, albeit nutty kids who are trying to live their lives, despite the fact that they can be maimed, killed turned into guinea pigs and some are already (mass) murderers. You have an absolute authority that commits atrocities in the name of progress at one hand and on the other hand extremely few are concerned about it. That is a worst case scenario. The fact that these kids don't wallow in angst just shows how far from "normal" they are (it also makes it more interesting to watch).
figuetteJun 2, 2013 5:26 PM
Jun 2, 2013 5:22 PM

Mar 2012
figuette said:

I don't know.... perhaps I'm over analyzing, but basically this series seems to be about Science and Church, two absolute authorities, who are given the free rein and bunch of cute, albeit nutty kids who are trying to live their lives, despite the fact that they can be maimed, killed turned into guinea pigs and some are already (mass) murderers. You have an absolute authority that commits atrocities in the name of progress at one hand and on the other hand extremely few are concerned about it. That is a worst case scenario. The fact that these kids don't wallow in angst just makes it more interesting to watch.

Because all of these atrocities are committed in the shadows. Very few people know about it and it is rare for those who know to go against the authority.

Jun 2, 2013 5:24 PM
May 2013
The Science side is divided into Academy City and other nations, and they don't necessarily get along with each other well. Academy City also experiences a lot of internal conflict, though I suppose the anime hasn't shown that yet.

The Church is the biggest faction of the Magic side, but many other magical groups exist outside their sphere of control. Even then, the Church is divided into three main groups: the Roman Catholics, the Anglicans, and the Russian Orthodox. These three don't get along well either.

Academy City's General Superintendent is also in an alliance with the Anglican church, though both of them would love try and destroy each other given the chance.

None of them have absolute authority.

Few are concerned about the atrocities that Academy City commits because very few know about them at all. Those who do are already indocrinated into the twisted culture that the founders of Academy City created. If knowledge of their horrible experiments ever comes out in the open, the entire world would be in chaos.

I don't think it's really a dystopia, but more of a really well-hidden conspiracy.
Jun 2, 2013 5:36 PM

Aug 2012
sheepling said:
The Science side is divided into Academy City and other nations, and they don't necessarily get along with each other well. Academy City also experiences a lot of internal conflict, though I suppose the anime hasn't shown that yet.

The Church is the biggest faction of the Magic side, but many other magical groups exist outside their sphere of control. Even then, the Church is divided into three main groups: the Roman Catholics, the Anglicans, and the Russian Orthodox. These three don't get along well either.

Academy City's General Superintendent is also in an alliance with the Anglican church, though both of them would love try and destroy each other given the chance.

None of them have absolute authority.

So far the only apparent conflict is between Church and City and the way it is shown they both have absolute authority in their own sphere of influence: Outsiders / City-dwellers.

sheepling said:
Few are concerned about the atrocities that Academy City commits because very few know about them at all. Those who do are already indocrinated into the twisted culture that the founders of Academy City created. If knowledge of their horrible experiments ever comes out in the open, the entire world would be in chaos.

CreationBreaker said:

Because all of these atrocities are committed in the shadows. Very few people know about it and it is rare for those who know to go against the authority.

I think the problem is that we are not shown this "entire world". Everything revolves around the sandbox that Academy City is.

sheepling said:
I don't think it's really a dystopia, but more of a really well-hidden conspiracy.

Hm... that is a way to put it, yes.
Jun 2, 2013 5:45 PM
Oct 2012
belatkuro said:
As if vector manipulation wasn't a broken ability already.
And I don't think Kuroko is capable of that complicated of a calculation to be able to do that. Teleportation involving 11th dimension calculations are difficult enough as it is. And she already has limitations of her powers even at Level 4 so pushing it beyond that is pretty much impossible.
So no.

Not quite what I meant. Some theories related to GUT requires the existence of multiple dimensions and because of Kuroko we know that they exist. When Kuroko teleports she accesses these dimensions, she wouldn't need to do anything more than she already does. Misaka would need to act the split second in which Kuroko teleports, the transition when both this dimension and the 10 other dimensions co-exist. It would require some teamwork, but we already know that these two have that.

On an related subject, Kuroko phases physical objects out of the way when she teleports (as explained when she dropped a building on that one dude), have they ever explained where those objects go? Phase shifting would add another dimension (shameless pun) to Kuroko's power, one that the writer really hasn't exploited (this means that Kuroko can teleport people without touching them).

Of course some theories related to GUT don't require extra dimensions, but I like the Kuroko angle.

And if you think that is something, the "Theory of Everything" (TOE) unifies these three forces with gravity into an all encompassing force that controls reality including dark matter.

So we're not at "no" yet. There may be another reason why Misaka is ranked 3. She may not know the limits to her powers :-)
Jun 2, 2013 6:59 PM

Mar 2012
figuette said:

CreationBreaker said:

I think the problem is that we are not shown this "entire world". Everything revolves around the sandbox that Academy City is.

That's where you're wrong. The author does show the rest of the world. Most of what we have seen in the Index anime was meant for setting up for something big.

Takuan_Soho said:

On an related subject, Kuroko phases physical objects out of the way when she teleports (as explained when she dropped a building on that one dude), have they ever explained where those objects go? Phase shifting would add another dimension (shameless pun) to Kuroko's power, one that the writer really hasn't exploited (this means that Kuroko can teleport people without touching them).

When did she ever phase anything out of the way? If something exists at the point she is teleporting something to, that thing that exists merely gets displaced. The mass which exists at the respective volume is just fully displaced. That's why Kuroko was able to teleport the window glass into the pillars. Nothing more.

Takuan_Soho said:

And if you think that is something, the "Theory of Everything" (TOE) unifies these three forces with gravity into an all encompassing force that controls reality including dark matter.

Dark matter (Kakine's power) is just a name and is not synonymous with the scientific definition of dark matter.

Also, to manipulate calculations based on the "Theory of Everything", she would need to know the necessary calculations for that theory which she doesn't simply because the calculations based on that (as well as Grand Unified Theory) are extremely complex and would take a long time to learn whereas Electromagnetic relations can be calculated via Maxwell's Equations, Faraday's Law, etc.

Takuan_Soho said:

There may be another reason why Misaka is ranked 3. She may not know the limits to her powers :-)

The question is not why Mikoto is ONLY the Number 3 but why Mikoto is ranked as high as number 3 and there are other reasons (which are more evident on the Index side of the story). If it weren't for those reasons, I am sure Mikoto would be ranked lower.

Jun 2, 2013 9:46 PM

May 2010
Next Railgun VS Meltdowner

Jun 3, 2013 1:50 AM
Mar 2013
CreationBreaker said:

The question is not why Mikoto is ONLY the Number 3 but why Mikoto is ranked as high as number 3 and there are other reasons (which are more evident on the Index side of the story). If it weren't for those reasons, I am sure Mikoto would be ranked lower.

Don't hurt her feelings.

Mikoto is fine at #3. She's #3 because of her importance to scientific research in Academy City. The Espers rankings are not their rankings for
as most people falsely think because of a mis-translation in the railgun manga, but rather based on their usefulness to scientific research in Academy city. Yep...
Jun 3, 2013 3:49 AM

Aug 2009
dniv said:
CreationBreaker said:

Don't hurt her feelings.

Mikoto is fine at #3. She's #3 because of her importance to scientific research in Academy City. The Espers rankings are not their rankings for
as most people falsely think because of a mis-translation in the railgun manga, but rather based on their usefulness to scientific research in Academy city. Yep...

And what is AC's ultimate goal?

I mean

It makes sense to have the ranks for System for everyone that reaches Level 5.Even the Dark May Project tried to
Jun 3, 2013 7:10 AM
Mar 2013
ssjokg said:
dniv said:
CreationBreaker said:

Don't hurt her feelings.

And what is AC's ultimate goal?

I mean

It makes sense to have the ranks for System for everyone that reaches Level 5.Even the Dark May Project tried to

About the last thing you said: that was false. Remember?

The point is that they don't do that though. Because only two of them even have a chance at SYSTEM anyway or maybe only one of them right, so the others don't even matter in that aspect.
Jun 3, 2013 7:23 AM

Aug 2009
dniv said:

About DMP I mean that they failed in
Jun 3, 2013 9:14 AM

Oct 2009
Wasn't really looking forward to Railgun S but i am really glad to be watching this, way better than Index II.

Frenda <3
Jun 3, 2013 12:49 PM

Jan 2011
This was a great episode, we need more episodes like this one.
Next episode looks promising, hopefully it'll live up to my expectations.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jun 3, 2013 6:28 PM

Jan 2012
Frenda vs Misaka... i think the battle is not very interesting, but Mikasa still looks cool
Jun 3, 2013 7:04 PM

Dec 2011
damn, Mugino is hot <3
Jun 3, 2013 11:17 PM

Sep 2012
LOL Frenda's so cute
Jun 4, 2013 8:57 AM

Jul 2011
aww, Nunotaba, Frenda, Mugino, Kinuhata.
講廢話,被撞到.
Jun 4, 2013 11:26 AM

Mar 2012
I have come up with a new model code for Frenda's skirt.

HsHSG-01.

Novel readers should understand the meaning. :P

Jun 4, 2013 2:23 PM

Aug 2011
Kanorin said:
Kinuhata.

HNNNNNNGHHHH
Jun 4, 2013 7:48 PM
May 2013
Frenda <33
Jun 4, 2013 9:51 PM
Jun 2009
I thought that the ceramic bomb scene was cooler in the manga, but the floor lifting on the anime compensated for that! That is a tired Misaka for you!

She could have done this flor/ceiling control as a shield at the shopping bomb scene on the power upper arc. The shopping was certainly made from reinforced concrete, with plenty of metal to control. Instead, they made Touma save the day...
Jun 4, 2013 11:15 PM

Mar 2011
Muginoo! I can't wait ^^,
Jun 5, 2013 1:08 AM
May 2013
Manabu said:
She could have done this flor/ceiling control as a shield at the shopping bomb scene on the power upper arc. The shopping was certainly made from reinforced concrete, with plenty of metal to control. Instead, they made Touma save the day...

Ahaha, don't think about it too much. Besides, sucking at emergency situations is one of the things that Level 5s have in common.
Jun 5, 2013 3:46 AM

Aug 2009
Manabu said:
I thought that the ceramic bomb scene was cooler in the manga, but the floor lifting on the anime compensated for that! That is a tired Misaka for you!

Except that Misaka was prepared during Frenda's attack unlike during the graviton bombings and who knows if she would be fast and precise enough to protect them.
She tried to use railgun,which WAS a good choice,but she messed up, and that is supposed to be her signature move.
Unlike back then she doesnt have to worry about others now.
Jun 7, 2013 1:01 AM
Mar 2013
ssjokg said:
Manabu said:

Except that Misaka was prepared during Frenda's attack unlike during the graviton bombings and who knows if she would be fast and precise enough to protect them.
She tried to use railgun,which WAS a good choice,but she messed up, and that is supposed to be her signature move.

I think it was more of an issue: what is the floor made of. It was also an issue of I know Touma's got this. He's my prince charming. JK lol.
Jun 7, 2013 8:22 AM

Aug 2009
dniv said:
ssjokg said:
Manabu said:

I think it was more of an issue: what is the floor made of. It was also an issue of I know Touma's got this. He's my prince charming. JK lol.

Thats why I said she was prepared.
Jun 7, 2013 8:27 AM
Mar 2013
ssjokg said:

Thats why I said she was prepared.

I guess. I saw it as luck due to the floor surface :D And Author's fiat :D
Jun 8, 2013 3:14 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
Great episode and also a great fight from Misaka and Frenda. Misaka has not to use her full power to fight her. Looking forward to watch the next episode
Jun 9, 2013 10:43 AM

Sep 2012
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jun 10, 2013 4:33 AM

Sep 2012
ssjokg said:
^?????
miji cavino capri citreva sgichovire sgicacci slano happa fumifumi

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jun 10, 2013 4:51 AM

Aug 2009
symbv said:
ssjokg said:
^?????

For a moment I thought you were messing with me but then remembered that Frenda spout some nonsense in the ep,just didnt remember the words.

So what exactly does it mean?
Jun 10, 2013 5:24 AM

Sep 2012
ssjokg said:
symbv said:
ssjokg said:
^?????

For a moment I thought you were messing with me but then remembered that Frenda spout some nonsense in the ep,just didnt remember the words.
If you know me, you'd know I don't mess with people... As for what it means, as Frenda said, nothing. It is just to create a sense of exotic aura (for the product in the TV CM'case). But that commercial from the 60s is the real root of Frenda's words. You can go back and check what she said. I doubt how many people including dedicated fans of Railgun and Index know about this, which is why I am sharing it now (and why I posted it in this episode thread and not others)

Jun 10, 2013 5:32 AM

Aug 2009
symbv said:
ssjokg said:
symbv said:
ssjokg said:
^?????

If you know me, you'd know I don't mess with people... As for what it means, as Frenda said, nothing. It is just to create a sense of exotic aura (for the product in the TV CM'case). But that commercial from the 60s is the real root of Frenda's words. You can go back and check what she said. I doubt how many people including dedicated fans of Railgun and Index know about this, which is why I am sharing it now (and why I posted it in this episode thread and not others)

That was why it was only for a moment.

So the guy in the CM is also saying nonsense?XD
I found the CM funny before I understood what it was about.For that alone I thank you.
Jun 10, 2013 5:36 AM

Sep 2012
ssjokg said:
I found the CM funny before I understood what it was about.For that alone I thank you.
Definitely it was meant to be funny, and I think it even crossed cultural and language border for its funniness. I was really surprised to know that the author actually went back this far (it was 1969) to find that mysterious phrase for his work. I guess he might have seen it as a kid and could never get if off his head afterwards...

Jun 10, 2013 5:55 AM

Aug 2009
symbv said:
ssjokg said:
Definitely it was meant to be funny, and I think it even crossed cultural and language border for its funniness. I was really surprised to know that the author actually went back this far (it was 1969) to find that mysterious phrase for his work. I guess he might have seen it as a kid and could never get if off his head afterwards...
Now I want to know how old (and other info) Kamachi is.
From the Raildex wikia:
[Kamachi's identity has been shrouded in mystery. He has little to no media exposure, and like many novelists, uses an avatar — a face created from simple shapes like circles or oblongs — as a picture in his publications. Haimura Kiyotaka, the illustrator of the Toaru Majutsu no Index light novels has once thought of him as "delicately sports-minded", while the author of the Toradora! light novels, Takemiya Yuyuko, upon meeting the author personally, was surprised to discover him as "younger than expected".
Kamachi began writing novels while he was still studying as a junior high school student. However, his works were not finished until he graduated from high school.]
Jun 11, 2013 7:41 AM

Oct 2012
A good action packed episode, really liked it and there are going to be more action in the next one too :)
Jun 13, 2013 11:17 PM

Sep 2011
pretty nice episode. Frenda's VA kinda of annoyed me, but Mugino's was awesome, or rather, suited my impression of her perfectly
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jun 17, 2013 4:20 PM

Jun 2010
Aww shit. Finally Meltdowner makes her appearance.

Jun 27, 2013 10:19 AM

Nov 2008
Iasuru said:

Also:

Someone should make a PARTY HARD meme for this. xDD

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jun 29, 2013 8:03 PM

May 2013
Hmmm nc ep. misaki needs to avenge her clone :)
Aug 12, 2013 2:35 PM

Aug 2008
Great episode as usual. I can't decide if Frenda is annoying or not. One minute she's cute, the next she's just irritating.
Aug 12, 2013 2:36 PM

Aug 2009
darkerealm said:
Great episode as usual. I can't decide if Frenda is annoying or not. One minute she's cute, the next she's just irritating.
She is.... half and half.
Sep 19, 2013 4:15 AM

Sep 2013
It is one of the best episode so far. :)
Sep 26, 2013 7:58 PM

Sep 2011
Oh man, Meltdowner has arrived!
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2013

372 by whitebeartigtig »»
Jun 10, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2013

120 by whitebeartigtig »»
Jun 10, 1:23 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2013

100 by whitebeartigtig »»
Jun 9, 5:40 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2013

126 by whitebeartigtig »»
Jun 8, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2013

105 by whitebeartigtig »»
Jun 8, 5:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.