Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (19) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Aug 6, 2009 6:11 AM

Dec 2008
Be as objective as your subjectivity lets you. Be very picky. If you see a flaw, or one episode that you didn't enjoy it as much, don't hesitate to give it a lower rating. DON'T, and I mean, DON'T be a fanboy. That will blind your judgement.

And since you've seen some good series, you may try to watch until the end some bad and average ones to know how to compare and notice the good and the bad animes.
Aug 6, 2009 6:19 AM

Nov 2007
As I say in the about my list blog linked on my profile:

Here's a vague numerical breakdown:
10 Brilliant. My top favourites, where all elements just work.
9: Great. These series are incredibly enjoyable with many great aspects.
8: Very good. Solid series well worth watching, with only minor flaws.
7: Enjoyable. A decent series, which is quite good, though not incredible.
6: So-so. Reasonably enjoyable, but nothing particularly remarkable.
5: Average. Not bad, though lacking something to make it stand out.
4: Sub-par. Not particularly enjoyable. Something important is missing.
3: Bad. What were they thinking when they made this?
2: Terrible. Missing any remotely redeeming features.
1: Star Ocean EX. It's impossible to be as bad, let alone worse than this travesty.
Aug 7, 2009 5:33 AM

May 2009
10 - Anything I enjoyed immensely

5 and below - probably hentai or deserves to be in their company
Parked, addled brain in other words.

Don't look at my list to pick out your next watch based on my rating. This is incredibly subjective on my part and is meant to reflect how I felt about the subject and not how I would see it as a recommendation to anyone. I have a totally different criteria for that.
Aug 7, 2009 6:55 AM

Nov 2008
By feelings.
So although I enjoy it much but if I feel like to score it 7 then that's it.
Aug 7, 2009 7:01 AM

Jan 2009
On a scale of 1 to 10.
Aug 7, 2009 9:40 AM
Jul 2018
Since I watch anime for entertainment, and not as a "proffesional" reviewer, I rate depending on if I found the series interesting/boring. If I never felt the urge to stop watching, or found a point in the series that was boring. Then it's a 10/10.

Taking design, animations, complexity of the story and all that is for the reviewers. I am just taking my opinion of I enjoyed it or not.
Aug 7, 2009 10:35 AM
Apr 2009
MAL gives each number rating a title, (like 10 = masterpiece, 5 = average, and 1 = unwatchable). That's what I go by when I rate anime. Of course, 5 being average doesn't necessarily mean I give most shows a 5 rating, because I tend to only watch shows I think I'll enjoy. So far I've only given one show a 10, and a handful of 9s. Most of my completed anime have been rated between 5 and 8. If it seems like a below average (1-4) anime, I'm probably not going to bother completing it.
Aug 8, 2009 5:29 AM

Jan 2009
My ratings are almost solely based on fappability - if it's not hentai, it better have excessive and frequent fanservice =3.
Tissues not included.
Aug 8, 2009 6:39 AM
Oct 2008
I watch the whole show and then rate it on a scale from 0 to 10, I usually don't drop - with very few exceptions.
Aug 8, 2009 10:31 AM

Mar 2009
As it says on the rates.

0 - Drop?
1 - Unwatchable.
2 - Horrible.
3 - Very Bad.
4 - Bad.
5 - Average.
6 - Fine.
7 - Good.
8 - Very Good.
9 - Great.
10 - Masterpiece.
Aug 8, 2009 10:54 AM

Aug 2007
9, 10= Favorites
The rest depends on the music, the animation, the plot. I tend to rate with an 8 or 7, and the ones below that are usually dropped.
Aug 8, 2009 10:55 AM

Aug 2009
Under 6- really sucked.
7 & 8 - average, i enjoyed watching them but they weren't very special.
9 - liked it, but something was missing.
10 - loved it and is most likely on my favorite list
Aug 8, 2009 11:15 AM

Aug 2009
Xeley said:
Since I watch anime for entertainment, and not as a "proffesional" reviewer, I rate depending on if I found the series interesting/boring. If I never felt the urge to stop watching, or found a point in the series that was boring. Then it's a 10/10.

Taking design, animations, complexity of the story and all that is for the reviewers. I am just taking my opinion of I enjoyed it or not.

Pretty much same for me.
Aug 8, 2009 1:31 PM

Jan 2009
By out of 10 but not the MAL Rankings I just rate on how many poits I think it scored on my own rating system.
Sep 26, 2009 3:19 AM

Oct 2008
I watch anime to entertain myself, so I rate my anime depending on how much i enjoyed it, not whether the graphics, music or story is great. The story can be crappy for all i care, if i liked it i'll still give it a high mark.

So, how do you rate your anime?
Sep 26, 2009 3:53 AM

Jul 2009
I give it a low score if it puts me to sleep
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Aug 31, 2012 6:54 PM

Nov 2011
I've not seen any similar threads so I decided to post this.

Most lists I've seen people don't even use half the scale admittedly I'm very much the same because I generally can decide whether I will enjoy something before watching it (whether this limits my choices or alters my scores I give is debatable).

Anyway back to the main point. How do you rate your anime? personally I generally go on my enjoyment level of the series which can depend on numerous parts of the show.

My main 3 area's of rating are
1. Characters
2. Voice acting edit: also soundtracks
3. Art

Just to clarify when I say art I don't mean how good it looks; I mean how the art has improved my levels of enjoyment ( Use of funny reaction faces, Symbolism in artwork etc)

Also does anyone else rate differently for different genre's? I certainly do as It's hard to compare a drama/tragedy using the same criteria as a ecchi/hentai.

edit: whoops could a mod please move to Anime Discussion
Thanks
SRTHGVSep 1, 2012 8:15 AM
Aug 31, 2012 6:58 PM
Jul 2018
Enjoyment.
Aug 31, 2012 7:00 PM

Jan 2008
A lot of similar threads actually... unless they're all locked.

Anyways,

-Story
-Art
-Sound
-Character
-Enjoyment

In no order, though I can say if I'm lazy, which I usually am, enjoyment usually is what I score it on.

I'd say the voice acting category is not needed, unless you rate each and every dub (and the original) separately....?
Aug 31, 2012 7:00 PM

Jun 2012
Neane1993 said:
Enjoyment.
Aug 31, 2012 7:02 PM
Jun 2012
%30 enjoyment %20story %15 drawıng %15 charecters %10 voice acting %10 other things
Aug 31, 2012 7:04 PM

Jun 2012
Paul said:

Anyways,

-Story
-Art
-Sound
-Character
-Enjoyment

In no order, though I can say if I'm lazy, which I usually am, enjoyment usually is what I score it on.

I'd say the voice acting category is not needed, unless you rate each and every dub (and the original) separately....?

I normally dont rate art, but i just cannot watch CLANAD. those girl's with those eye's just look beyond stupid. As @Paul said, mostlikely enjoyment. because i am alway's bored and lazy when i watch anime.
Aug 31, 2012 7:06 PM

Jan 2008
OhNasti said:
I normally dont rate art, but i just cannot watch CLANAD. those girl's with those eye's just look beyond stupid.

I'd highly recommend you don't watch Kanon then. Lmao.

You'll have nightmares.
Aug 31, 2012 7:06 PM
Jul 2018
veto1214 said:
%30 enjoyment %20story %15 drawıng %15 charecters %10 voice acting %10 other things

You mean, like:

1 Impact on Impact on industry both the anime and Original Manga had 2 TV Ratings in In Japan 3 Ka of the Sourcework [ and how loyal the anime stayed to it and how well the compare to other big name in its genre ] 4 Seiyuu casting [ how many i know by voice] 5 Impact on General Pop Culture in Japan and the West 6 Impact on Otaku Culture in Japan and the West 7 Music[ Instrumentation] 8 how much Stuff it shifts 9 art style
10 Studio who produced the anime
11 type of music used lyrical] [ anison or not]
Aug 31, 2012 7:10 PM

Jun 2012
Paul said:

I'd highly recommend you don't watch Kanon then. Lmao.

You'll have nightmares.

Aug 31, 2012 7:10 PM

Nov 2011
Paul said:

Anyways,

-Story
-Art
-Sound
-Character
-Enjoyment

Good voice acting adds a whole new layer of depth to the character and can make or break them for me. Good voice acting brings out the emotions of the character and can make them appear to be real people with real feelings rather than a 2d image on my screen. This is also one of the reasons most people prefer subs>dubs I presume.
Aug 31, 2012 7:12 PM

Jul 2011
Neane1993 said:
1 Impact on Impact on industry both the anime and Original Manga had 2 TV Ratings in In Japan 3 Ka of the Sourcework [ and how loyal the anime stayed to it and how well the compare to other big name in its genre ] 4 Seiyuu casting [ how many i know by voice] 5 Impact on General Pop Culture in Japan and the West 6 Impact on Otaku Culture in Japan and the West 7 Music[ Instrumentation] 8 how much Stuff it shifts 9 art style
Aug 31, 2012 7:13 PM

Mar 2012
Neane1993 said:

You mean, like:

I like how nowhere in there does he say anything about the actual story.
やがて気づく本当の気持ちは
そして 人間が大好きでした
Aug 31, 2012 7:14 PM

Mar 2012
I think people give themselves too much credit when it comes to this topic. You can't explain, in precise terms and without comparing it to other anime, why you rated something the way you did. Unless you literally score every different aspect and then take a weighted average to get your score, which would be ridiculous by the way, you can't. You're not actually rating things how you say you are.

It's cool to say "I place a lot of importance in art", or soundtrack, or whatever, just don't be so absolute. Every anime needs to be approached and rated individually, it doesn't make any sense to say one scale fits all.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 31, 2012 7:18 PM

Nov 2011
Post-Josh said:
I think people give themselves too much credit when it comes to this topic. You can't explain, in precise terms and without comparing it to other anime, why you rated something the way you did. Unless you literally score every different aspect and then take a weighted average to get your score, which would be ridiculous by the way, you can't. You're not actually rating things how you say you are.

It's cool to say "I place a lot of importance in art", or soundtrack, or whatever, just don't be so absolute. Every anime needs to be approached and rated individually, it doesn't make any sense to say one scale fits all.

This is why I asked if people rate differently for different genre's, this could also be applied to when it was created ( artwork differences etc) or whether the anime had a special impact on you personally due to past events or motivated you to do something.

Edit:@ mad scientist That thread was so far back that I didn't see it. Should I really bump a thread that has had no activity for what 9 months?
SRTHGVAug 31, 2012 7:28 PM
Aug 31, 2012 7:25 PM

Sep 2011
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=53340

Edit: @SRTHGV's edit, doesnt matter to me. these forums have duplicate topics on the regular because the no working search function. so guess you should just keep it here
MadScientistAug 31, 2012 7:40 PM
NEETs (No Employment Education Training) are the least desirable people anybody would want to hire and yet they are the first choice to become moderators/admins around the internet. They have yet to have established a sense of responsibility or role in society and many are plain leeches (with minor exceptions). They are given "authority" to police sections of the internet with the powers of The Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Isn't that weird?
-Migrating to another site-
Update 11/9/2016 - Inactive Over a Year. Logged in to laugh at elections.
Aug 31, 2012 7:38 PM
Jun 2012
characters
plot
opening and ending

overall - enjoyment
Aug 31, 2012 7:40 PM
Nov 2010
Enjoyment. I start the rating at 5, and go up or down depending how the show advances.
Aug 31, 2012 7:44 PM

Jun 2012
enjoyment
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 31, 2012 8:00 PM

Feb 2012
Enjoyment
Animation/Art
Characters
Plot
Aug 31, 2012 8:04 PM

Jul 2010
enjoyment/plot

Aug 31, 2012 8:10 PM

Feb 2012
Shuhan said:
Neane1993 said:
Enjoyment.
Aug 31, 2012 8:13 PM

Nov 2011
SRTHGV said:
Should I really bump a thread that has had no activity for what 9 months?

Apparently, that is encouraged around here. I've actually questioned the same thing. Duplicate topics get merged, or even locked.

And for people that haven't noticed, there is a working search function now.
MissileSoupAug 31, 2012 8:19 PM
Aug 31, 2012 8:23 PM

Sep 2011
MissileSoup said:
And for people that haven't noticed, there is a working search function now.

oh dang. how long has that been here

Edit: oic under announcements.. where i never check. just came back this month. good to know i can stop googling threads. funny it says Search up there on the top but ive never noticed.
MadScientistAug 31, 2012 8:27 PM
NEETs (No Employment Education Training) are the least desirable people anybody would want to hire and yet they are the first choice to become moderators/admins around the internet. They have yet to have established a sense of responsibility or role in society and many are plain leeches (with minor exceptions). They are given "authority" to police sections of the internet with the powers of The Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Isn't that weird?
-Migrating to another site-
Update 11/9/2016 - Inactive Over a Year. Logged in to laugh at elections.
Aug 31, 2012 8:53 PM

Feb 2010
With numbers.
Aug 31, 2012 8:59 PM

Mar 2012
Akito_Kinomoto said:
With numbers.

LOOKS LIKE WE GOT A BAD-
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 31, 2012 9:06 PM

Apr 2012
To me context is very important

If it's a comedy/harem etc I'll rate it based on enjoyment.

If the story is meant to be taken seriously then:
music out of 2
story out of 4
animation out of 1
characters out of 3

Total out of 10.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Aug 31, 2012 9:07 PM

Aug 2011
My enjoyment. If I like what I'm watching and everything entertains me I hardly care about anything else.

Aug 31, 2012 9:14 PM

Feb 2012
In reality I just make up my ratings on the spot based on what feels right, but I often check my scores using this method:

50% enjoyment
50% Technical

The technical score being an average of Characters, Plot, and Sound/Animation.
Aug 31, 2012 9:19 PM

Mar 2011
Definitely Enjoyment, more specifically the total enjoyment so fillers and other random episodes are included.
Aug 31, 2012 9:23 PM

Aug 2012
Story + Characters + Humor
Aug 31, 2012 10:33 PM

Jul 2011
Post-Josh said:
Akito_Kinomoto said:
With numbers.

LOOKS LIKE WE GOT A BAD-

I was waiting for "very carefully" before pulling that one.
Shameless self-promotion: http://www.pernerple.com/
Slyr3do0n said:
MAL is the dark underbelly of the anime community. While other naive fanboys and fangirls run around in real life forming clubs and squealing in deafening high pitch noises about their favourite animus, we remain here, meticulously dismantling the credibility of each and every show, until all that remains is a steaming pile of tropes and ass pulls which we then devour to gratiyfy our glutinous and masochistic desires.
Aug 31, 2012 10:58 PM

Aug 2012
I normally rate it on the character's, plot, and how deep the plot goes in general, getting into your emotions and such.
Aug 31, 2012 11:13 PM

Apr 2012
Yvese said:
Shuhan said:
Neane1993 said:
Enjoyment.

Also, I'd think about the plot/characters/sound/art.

It's 50/50.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Pages (19) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ?

ame - 52 minutes ago

13 by Rhae »»
4 minutes ago

» Why American Animators will have opportunities to create anime

GoatPieceLuffy - 1 hour ago

3 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
39 minutes ago

» the race to WcDonald's ep 1 and the rest not added?

Berry-Vodka - 39 minutes ago

0 by Berry-Vodka »»
39 minutes ago

» Love live

Vapor_AU - 4 hours ago

5 by Otakupervert890 »»
42 minutes ago

» Simping for anime/manga creators. Do you do it? How do you do it?

Catalano - May 14

26 by Silverlight41 »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.