Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Oct 2, 2020 5:19 PM
Jul 2020
To start, I agree with the shared thought that the anime should have ended at ep.23. And yet the "filler," material that was in ep.24 left me with a warm feeling towards my view of the future. Began this show when I was a kid and was captivated by the intricate detail to the fashion and architecture of the world but was never able to finish it for oddball reasons. Solid 9/10 for the series as a whole.
Oct 10, 2020 3:29 AM

May 2016
One of my favorite shows that I started watching this late summer and just ended today, have seen this anime few times back then on TV, I never even gave it a glance because of the art style alone, looking back how stupid I was...

either way I wouldn't have understood the plot like now solid 8.5/10 from me.

The epilogue could have been done better if they showed the whole cast together in the meeting they had planned that's
just what I think, let's not forgot that letter that was hidden behind Mercedes painting in the hallway, when Albert mentioned
that Edmond was there the whole time way before was born that was my favorite part.

I feel upset to say good bye to this show, good bye Edmond Dantes your role was totally the best.
Feb 10, 2021 6:07 AM

Jun 2020
And with this the masterpiece ended. The show was absolutely amazing and had me hooked in from the beginning. It's been quite a while since I finished a show this fast. If only it hadn't been for the penultimate episode, this would have been an easy 10/10.
Mar 1, 2021 11:11 PM

May 2020
Putting Edmond's and Fernand's graves right next to each other ? Jesus, learn a little tact.

Overall, 6/10. The last few episodes weren't that strong.
TitanInsaneMar 11, 2021 6:14 AM
Jun 18, 2021 3:14 PM

Jun 2019
My 100th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it an 8/10 rating.
Aug 7, 2021 3:41 AM

Mar 2020
It was a nice ending. Everyone alive has moved on with their lives. And peppo became a supermodel?! Did not expect that at all.
A solid 7/10. Loved it
Aug 7, 2021 6:12 AM
Mar 2020
Masterpiece. Can't believe this show isn't top 25.
maybe some don't get the plot....the gentleman above suggesting the graves shouldn't have been next to each other. it is because they were such good friends that Edmond exacted his revenge, losing who he truly was, but in the end, they died together. Deservingly. Buried next to each other seems appropriate. Something romantic about it.

10/10 easy
Sep 24, 2021 2:50 AM

Aug 2020
Pewdie said:
I think it was a beautiful ending, filler or not.

Yo, its Pewdiepie again.

As for my thought overall, I was disappointed. I was expecting one of the greatest revenge animes; however, it didn't quite deliver. I mean, what was so spectacular about the revenge? Everyone has their own opinion.

So overall, it's either between a 3-7/10. Idk, I still haven't fully processed what I'd watched.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Oct 17, 2021 12:41 AM
Jul 2018
This series would have been near perfection without the stupid mecha battles & a rather dissapointing ending. Killing off The Count is not a bad change from the source, but to bring Albert to "hug" The Count to defeat Gankutsuou seemed stupid. Haydee was the obvious choice. It is still decent with Albert but the execution was not good at all. That "kiss" or whatever it was seemed dumb. Fernand sudden change of heart could've been done better.

Still a good anime. The Count was a good character.
7/10
Oct 20, 2021 7:12 AM
Dec 2018
I really liked the anime, it's very good, and I enjoyed most of the anime episodes. What bothered me was the disappearance of realism, for example, Albert, his father was accused of killing many civilians and he became an aid to peace! ?, and his girlfriend and her father stole the world's money and she went to study and was not treated like what is happening in reality
Dec 7, 2021 2:20 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Baptistin is alive and well, and maximilien and valentine are together, that's all I could've asked for.

I usually only rate based on my own enjoyment, and in that case this would get a 7 or an 8. But damn the way that this was made, it just deserves the 10, so a 10 it gets.

Only gripe I had, which is only a nitpick really, is that the upbeat punk rock style ED ruined the mood of several of the episodes which ended on a somber note.

And personally I would've gone for a more somber ending after all. A happy ending is great, but I don't think it fits thematically with the rest of the series which is about lies and deceit and murder and just the general evil of mankind's heart. Everyone here is saying they wish it had ended with the last episode, episode 23, instead having this epilogue. Going to have to watch it again quickly, just to see if it provides a satisfactory wrap-up. If it does, then more is left open to interpretation by the viewer, and it ends on a more somber note which is more fitting as a whole for the series.

Man would it have just sealed the deal if they ended with the "Kaishou" motif. That alone is probably what's making me give this a 10, lol

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 21, 2021 12:58 AM
Jun 2020
what a series. the strange art style drew me in, but the story immersed me. what a classic.
there are four sides to every story.
if these walls could talk,
they probably still ignore me.
Jan 22, 2022 9:19 PM

Jul 2019
I like the final episode showed the parallel between the trio: Franz, Elbert, Eugénie and Edmond, Mercedes, and Fernand. The difference between the three is every more clear yet similar.

Overall, this was an amazing experience. 8/10.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Apr 2, 2022 1:51 PM

May 2021
Loved this tale of revenge. An amazing experience. That said, it should have timed its EDs better.

Apr 26, 2022 1:36 AM

Nov 2018
Lets start with the fact that it was my first time hearing about the Count of Monte Cristo, so I can't compare it to the novel/movie/any other adaption, so it isn't biased opinion.

I didn't like the unique art style, but it was okay for me until the horrible CGI Mech battles, when besides the terrible CGI, the mech battles felt out of place (and I dislike mechas in general).

About the story, the first half was fun and decent (besides Albert), but then it started to get downhills from there: cringeworthy moments, cliches, the "hug" that saved it all, and things that make no sense, like when Fernand shot his wife and son, and episode later he was afraid for his son to get shot by the Count and offered his live instead.

Was debating between 5/10 or 6/10 (5.5/10 will be the perfect score), so I ended up giving it 6/10 for the fun first half.
Apr 28, 2022 11:10 AM
Nov 2020
Loved the symbolism and art that was in this anime... Will miss this series... Long live count

7/10 for me
Jun 11, 2022 11:59 PM

Jun 2010
A dawdling and boring epilogue. A lot about ths war between earth and "the Empire" that was never important during the entire rest of the series and especially has nothing to do with the Count or his quest for revenge. In general I don't see the point of it beng fve years later, or why Maximilien or Albert have been gone from eath the entire time other than to contrive reunion scenes.

The concept of the series seems to be The Count of Monte Cristo but with revenge as a sinister and dehumanizing force rather than a just and vindicating one; this is an interesting idea but once the series diverges from the novel and cannot lean on Dumas’ shoulder any longer it stumbles badly in pacing and content and just becomes another blunt anime drama with lots of screaming and twists that don't make much sense.
Sep 4, 2022 12:50 AM

Jun 2020
A very fitting ending to this series. Would have been better if they showed the Party, as well as Albert and Eugenie meeting each other. But oh well. Overall, this series built up to being a masterpiece but ended up letting me down towards the end. I've got to say, I had extremely high expectations and I was slightly disappointed. But well 9/10.

Sep 8, 2022 10:05 PM
Oct 2017
Thank you Kanye, very cool!
Nov 14, 2022 1:47 PM

May 2021
Nice adaptation for a slightly above average book, the mecha stuff was weird asf and production values were low sadly, yet the plot compensates a lot of the flaws, I thought this was going to be a melodramatic shithole like Sangatsu no Lion but gladly the characters here had charisma and charm, even Albert who was going through his coming-of-age arc wasn't bad at all, unlike most of the trash MC's in coming-of-age's. I thought the end was a bit off but that's ok, the OP song was kinda poetic, I enjoyed it through the show, lovely song. Overall, isn't a perfect show, the plot and characters carry it a lot while animation and art-style are subpar, 6.5/10.

I must say though, that while the plot is good, it is far from perfect, this adaptation took somee liberties for the bad and the good, the mecha parts were definitely unnecessary and some resolutions were dubious at minimum.
-Xenophon-Nov 14, 2022 1:55 PM
Aug 25, 2023 2:03 PM
Aug 2022
I don't like brick-thick gay novels written by fruity Europeans in the BC era. 

But damn, Japan made this beautiful beautiful anime that glued my eyes. I like everything animation wise, all soundtracks, op, ed...
I love how they bend or reinterpret that boringass story. Hate the mecha though.

In visual terms, it was like a Klimt at Louvre, a Dario Argento in Champs Elysees, a Terry Gilliam in Champs de Mars.     
Sep 10, 2023 2:49 PM
Jan 2018
I don't understand how so many people can hate mecha. It brings true sorrow to my soul that you can't enjoy all mecha has to give. Even these two mecha fight's had their merits, for what they were.

Episode 21 was the best episode followed by the episode where Franz died. I'm ashamed I didn't put two and two together until 2 mins before the reveal. That whole fight was extra foreshadowed and I usually wait for the story to follow predictable story beats. But in this case, not knowing the reveal made things so much better.

I loved Andrea Calvacanti as character. I'm happy he lived to the end and I even added him to my MAL favorites. It's nice to see unrepentant evil and I was for most part ok with what he did. The mother torture and sister marrying was a bit much tho

This art style is literally like nothing I have ever seen. Even in 2023, with everything Orange, BONES, Madhouse, Toei, WIT, and MAPPA have done up to this point, I've never seen anything like it. The animation was incredible, even more so for the time that this show came out. The only comparable thing for me would be what XEBEC did with Zoids first two anime. Perhaps one day, CG on the level of this show and some of Zoids anime will become the norm. But for now I am pretty happy I took this journey.

Is there any reason why that weird place fell apart when Edmond died? I could somewhat forgive the choices before that, but that whole last part took a whole point away from my final score.

Also, Edmond said he hoped Albert could still respect him in the future. I don't know that I could have forgiven Edmond the way Albert did. Plus they said Gankotsuou had only one weakness and that was emotion. So the whisper in the ear was not talk no jutsu and you anime watchers need to put some respect on these writers names. It was very elegantly done. And for most of the anime I saw Albert as the annoying conscience of the Count. Of course he was whiny and annoying cuz that's what your conscience is supposed to be. And for a coddled 15 year old, Albert behaved just fine. Like a regular kid, instead of all these anime children who behave absolutely nothing like actual children.

I wanted to give this anime a 9 out of 10. But I can't. It really fumbled the ending. I did read the Count of Monte Cristo 20+ years ago in middle school, so I can't say I remember every part of a 500+ page novel written in the Dumas "I use my words to say much more than you ever would need to know" style. But it was a pretty great novel at the time. From the bits I can remember, I'm ok with the vast majority of the changes this anime did. I really don't understand why this anime is so homoerotic. It's really blatant and I wish I had known that before I watched it, like when I watched Banana Fish. This anime is definitely better than that one and handled the life of a guy where every gender wanting a piece of you pretty well. Even if I can't personally relate to wanting a relationship with a man.

Since the climax mucked things up, I give this anime a 8.5 out of 10. But since MAL scores don't work that way, I'm gonna rate it as a 8 out 10. I can sorta see why some people gave this anime a 10 out of 10. I can even understand a 6, as long as your reason isn't "I hate mecha." But I give this show a fair score. Ambitious and fallen short of the mark it wanted, this show nonetheless is a fantastic show that's an easy recommendation for any seasoned anime fan that's sick of the anime tropes that infect most shows these days. Consider giving this show a watch.

But you gotta know, this is a really, really, gay show. Which may have made the show better. Maybe.
MFDOOMEDMay 23, 10:18 AM
Apr 5, 5:45 AM
Feb 2008
Reply to stationry
Great series but it should've ended at episode 23, this is just obvious filler and exaggerated tie-up. Also overplayed the "happiness" of the ending instead of keeping it slightly open which would just be so much better. I wish I wouldn't have watched this last episode cause it shames the rest of the series which is a fucking masterpiece.
@stationry i know that feeling, having watched this one for the fifth time...skipping episode 23 is a perfect finale itself. I bloody hate 24 and it tarnishes the hood will of the rest...almost. still too happy and cheesy and hollow without the count imo.
Apr 19, 9:36 AM

Feb 2008
Reply to KrispyKlub
@stationry i know that feeling, having watched this one for the fifth time...skipping episode 23 is a perfect finale itself. I bloody hate 24 and it tarnishes the hood will of the rest...almost. still too happy and cheesy and hollow without the count imo.
@KrispyKlub based
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Peppo

Metty - Apr 30, 2010

14 by SpiralProgress »»
May 22, 9:08 PM

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by KuroGFX »»
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

StabbyPWNS - Nov 3, 2008

120 by Leongolleyn »»
Dec 29, 2023 5:48 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 13 Discussion

Mikiyo - Apr 8, 2009

45 by nicissad »»
Oct 5, 2023 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.