Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 20, 12:57 AM
Sep 2016
The ending felt incomplete might have to do with the upcoming movie sequel, also my first time liking a 3d style of animation in anime.
Sep 20, 2:48 PM
Dec 2017
Reply to yuyiyu
The ending felt incomplete might have to do with the upcoming movie sequel, also my first time liking a 3d style of animation in anime.
@yuyiyu
It's not a sequel just two compilation movies, i.e. the anime episodes will be spliced together, maybe with full-lenght concert performances shown (3-4 min songs instead of 90 sec).
Owing to very high cost of 3D-CGI mocap animation and two of the band girls / seiyuu (Subaru and Tomo) being on hiatus, a sequel is unlikely in the near future.
Sep 21, 2:48 PM
Sep 2024
peak, like actually.
Sep 24, 4:45 PM

Jun 2012
Someone could probably make a whole 2-hour video analysis on Nina's self-destructive mindset (but that ain't gonna be me!). It's not that she's not working hard, she's just rushing too much and when reality hits her, she can't face it so she gets more desperate. The last two episodes are a prime example of this; did anyone in the show honestly expect TogeToge to ever have a change against Diamont Dust? Even Hina came to help Nina, but she wouldn't listen.

Lots of folks here are calling the ending rushed; no, I think they did a bold move by essentially giving us the Bad Ending on the very first season of their brand new show. Whenever S2 comes around they definitely have to adress Nina's emotional issues, though. Now that she has her father's acceptance, Nina ought to set herself straight and stop going after desperate measures. We saw shades of that when she was beginning to learn the guitar, but despite Momo's harsh words, she continues learning hoping to play in the band. All she wanted was for someone to pat her in the head for trying. "Look at me! I'm doing something!" I said in an earlier post how Momoka's self-esteem was lower than Nina's but now even Momoka is not afraid to tackle new ground, so that post is moot (whoops!). The only one left with serious issues is Nina and she needs help fast. Perhaps her newfound love with Momoka can help her, or perhaps this cruel defeat will gradually set her mind straight.

We could have gotten the Good Ending if Nina had not pushed for accepting the challenge and I can see why some people dislike her, but I think she's an amazingly well written character. She feels like the victim ever since she got bullied for doing what she believed is right. The whole world is her enemy and she just wants to be accepted, but being cute and having the power of friendship is not enough and we all saw what happend with that kind of mindset.

What a sleeper hit!

ps. Subaru best girl; God will not allow any other answer!
Oct 12, 6:57 AM

Apr 2013
Been hearing a lot about this anime, but it was so mediocre.
Oct 14, 11:41 AM

Jul 2014
Overall one of the best shows of the year so far, but for me it's just fallen short of the true greatness so many have said it is. These weak final two episodes are a big part of that, as the decisions they've made as a group here have kind of made me lose some of the respect I had gained for them throughout the show: at the very first big challenge they face as professionals, they throw in the towel because they know they can't win despite their whole thing being about taking on and beating Diamond Dust. They just cower out rather than facing the music, and that's just not at all satisfying however you slice it. Knowing that this anime has a gacha in the works, I'd have been much happier ending at episode 11 with them signing the contract as professionals, then leaving whatever comes next to the gacha story.

The other big issue I have with this show is the fundamental contradiction between its messaging and the reasons it exists in the first place. Throughout, this show's messaging has been about doing your own thing musically and not compromising to professional or commercial demands, but the show is primarily a vehicle for promoting a new multimedia franchise and professional band. In other words, the show is the very thing it's criticised from day 1 and it just makes the messaging feel more hollow than it should.

Still, some of the best 3DCG visuals and animation an anime has ever had and some fantastic characters and dynamics has made this a very enjoyable watch throughout despite the above issues.

A solid 8/10, but it could have been even better.
Oct 15, 5:46 AM
Dec 2017
Reply to Atavistic
Overall one of the best shows of the year so far, but for me it's just fallen short of the true greatness so many have said it is. These weak final two episodes are a big part of that, as the decisions they've made as a group here have kind of made me lose some of the respect I had gained for them throughout the show: at the very first big challenge they face as professionals, they throw in the towel because they know they can't win despite their whole thing being about taking on and beating Diamond Dust. They just cower out rather than facing the music, and that's just not at all satisfying however you slice it. Knowing that this anime has a gacha in the works, I'd have been much happier ending at episode 11 with them signing the contract as professionals, then leaving whatever comes next to the gacha story.

The other big issue I have with this show is the fundamental contradiction between its messaging and the reasons it exists in the first place. Throughout, this show's messaging has been about doing your own thing musically and not compromising to professional or commercial demands, but the show is primarily a vehicle for promoting a new multimedia franchise and professional band. In other words, the show is the very thing it's criticised from day 1 and it just makes the messaging feel more hollow than it should.

Still, some of the best 3DCG visuals and animation an anime has ever had and some fantastic characters and dynamics has made this a very enjoyable watch throughout despite the above issues.

A solid 8/10, but it could have been even better.
@Atavistic

> The other big issue I have with this show is the fundamental contradiction between its messaging and the reasons it exists in the first place. Throughout, this show's messaging has been about doing your own thing musically and not compromising to professional or commercial demands, but the show is primarily a vehicle for promoting a new multimedia franchise and professional band. In other words, the show is the very thing it's criticised from day 1 and it just makes the messaging feel more hollow than it should.

Been there, seen that, done that:
https://www.reddit.com/r/girlsbandcry/comments/1cvxstc/are_we_being_scammed_big_time/

Furthermore, the whole contradiction you've described may or may not be the reason why two members of Togenashi Togenari band (IRL Subaru and Tomo) have been on hiatus for several months, officially for medical condition but nobody knows anything. They missed live concerts, radio shows and promotion events. Maybe they are fed up with being turned into otaku idols / social media puppets, while the other 3 girls accept or even enjoy that?
Tacsk0Oct 15, 5:55 AM
Oct 15, 6:03 AM
Dec 2017
Reply to Erebus25
Been hearing a lot about this anime, but it was so mediocre.
@Erebus25

> Been hearing a lot about this anime, but it was so mediocre.

GBC's BD/DVD purchases are certainly not mediocre: it has been selling 12-14,000 box sets per volume, in a market where any anime crew would offer child sacrifice for selling just 5500-6000 copies. The amount of GBC fan art / doujin also isn't mediocre, it's huge! In other words GBC is much loved and crazy popular wherever properly accessible (though the non-streaming digital purchase method in Amazon and Microsoft stores is apparently inconvenient for US audiences.)
Oct 15, 6:10 AM
Dec 2017
Reply to SuperJohnDoe
Someone could probably make a whole 2-hour video analysis on Nina's self-destructive mindset (but that ain't gonna be me!). It's not that she's not working hard, she's just rushing too much and when reality hits her, she can't face it so she gets more desperate. The last two episodes are a prime example of this; did anyone in the show honestly expect TogeToge to ever have a change against Diamont Dust? Even Hina came to help Nina, but she wouldn't listen.

Lots of folks here are calling the ending rushed; no, I think they did a bold move by essentially giving us the Bad Ending on the very first season of their brand new show. Whenever S2 comes around they definitely have to adress Nina's emotional issues, though. Now that she has her father's acceptance, Nina ought to set herself straight and stop going after desperate measures. We saw shades of that when she was beginning to learn the guitar, but despite Momo's harsh words, she continues learning hoping to play in the band. All she wanted was for someone to pat her in the head for trying. "Look at me! I'm doing something!" I said in an earlier post how Momoka's self-esteem was lower than Nina's but now even Momoka is not afraid to tackle new ground, so that post is moot (whoops!). The only one left with serious issues is Nina and she needs help fast. Perhaps her newfound love with Momoka can help her, or perhaps this cruel defeat will gradually set her mind straight.

We could have gotten the Good Ending if Nina had not pushed for accepting the challenge and I can see why some people dislike her, but I think she's an amazingly well written character. She feels like the victim ever since she got bullied for doing what she believed is right. The whole world is her enemy and she just wants to be accepted, but being cute and having the power of friendship is not enough and we all saw what happend with that kind of mindset.

What a sleeper hit!

ps. Subaru best girl; God will not allow any other answer!
> Someone could probably make a whole 2-hour video analysis

Could 1 hour and 36 minutes of Girls Band Cry discussion suffice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTY8pTqcssg
Oct 15, 7:51 AM

Apr 2013
Reply to Tacsk0
@Erebus25

> Been hearing a lot about this anime, but it was so mediocre.

GBC's BD/DVD purchases are certainly not mediocre: it has been selling 12-14,000 box sets per volume, in a market where any anime crew would offer child sacrifice for selling just 5500-6000 copies. The amount of GBC fan art / doujin also isn't mediocre, it's huge! In other words GBC is much loved and crazy popular wherever properly accessible (though the non-streaming digital purchase method in Amazon and Microsoft stores is apparently inconvenient for US audiences.)
@Tacsk0 Those numbers don't mean anything to me since I don't follow those, but let's assume they show popularity. So the question is why.
Why is this mediocre anime gathering such attention? Music is so generic I no longer remember any song from the anime. 3D is at "watchable" level, but it will never be remembered as good. Characters all have some tragic past which is just lazy writing, and story itself with someone is quitting the band every other episode got bored pretty quick.

Yesterday, 6:26 AM
Dec 2017
Reply to Erebus25
@Tacsk0 Those numbers don't mean anything to me since I don't follow those, but let's assume they show popularity. So the question is why.
Why is this mediocre anime gathering such attention? Music is so generic I no longer remember any song from the anime. 3D is at "watchable" level, but it will never be remembered as good. Characters all have some tragic past which is just lazy writing, and story itself with someone is quitting the band every other episode got bored pretty quick.

@Erebus25
> Music is so generic I no longer remember any song from the anime.

Rock hasn't been truly mainstream in the West for like 25 years, unlike Japan, so our ears are saturated with pop music taste.

Furthermore, GBC's music is heavily modeled on Vocaloid scene from the previous decade, which was dominated by amateur producers. Their aesthetics relied much on keyboards (easier to use with MIDI and DAW vs guitar / bass) and accelerated singing pace (as Hatsune Miku et al. didn't need to breathe.) GBC / Togenashi Togeari vocalist Nina / Rina actually had a few problems in live concerts trying to keep up with their fastest songs.

> 3D is at "watchable" level

Compared to anything from previous anime titles (like BangDream MyGo) GBC's 3D-cgi is revolutionary, regarding fluency of motion and the large number of facial expressions achieved through advanced mo-cap. Many say it resembles video-game transition scenes. However, one cannot expect Hollywood / Pixar movie grade CGI animation from a broadcast-for-free TV production, where return of investment is totally uncertain.

> Characters all have some tragic past which is just lazy writing

Momoka, Subaru, Tomo and Hina don't really count as tragic backstories for me, they have issues that happen to everyday people as well.

> someone is quitting the band every other episode

Good observation but that's apparently the way of rock music in real life and many formations are higly unstable. In GBC the girls weren't voting out each other at least. Anyhow, if none of them wanted to quit, how could they come together by the end?
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» What you guys think about the main characters?

negatives - May 3

30 by Railey2 »»
Oct 6, 8:01 AM

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - May 24

112 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Sep 19, 6:03 PM

» GBC to receive smartphone game adaptation.

Tacsk0 - Aug 31

9 by akatsukinoluna »»
Sep 19, 10:57 AM

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 6 Discussion

IzanaSolos - May 10

42 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Sep 18, 6:36 PM

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 4 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Apr 26

44 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Sep 15, 1:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.