Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jul 18, 2015 6:41 AM

Oct 2014
Literally the ONLY thing where the "tone down" actually hurt the series was omitting the explanation on why Rory attacked the bandits, but THAT. IS. ALL. Every other "toned down" scene simply has less shock value, which in some cases was an improvement. I like the invaders of Ginza being anxious in the anime a lot more than them going full "1-dimensional red-shirt villain mode", as they did in the manga.
Jul 18, 2015 6:44 AM
Mar 2010
Unyilkdr said:
for everybody complain about edgy stuff, and blame A1. did everybody forgot that A1 doing shinsekai yori? they can do it, but they chose not to do it. and i think most of edgy thing in manga are useless, only bandit action in villagers scane are needed, (i am manga reader from first place since then). i think they do it for make this anime more watchable for wider audience. i enjoy it anime. if you don't like it, just stuck with manga. as simple as that.
i hope they also deleted useless edgy things again in trip to japan arc.

It lacks the feel of realism and impact in an anime that actual shows war and death.
Jul 18, 2015 6:47 AM

Apr 2013
good episode.
Jul 18, 2015 6:51 AM

Apr 2013
i liked this episode, like someone already said on the first page, fights lacked blood, i hope it gets a bit darker

clickable▲
Jul 18, 2015 6:57 AM
Jul 2014
I did not pick up on any implied rape vibes at all in that scene, to be honest. Maybe I'm more daft than I think I am but yea. I drew the conclusion that she attacked the bandits because they were plotting to attack the Coda villagers whom she seems to have some rapport with(they refer to her as an oracle and she seems pretty concerned about them). It was a good enough explanation for me not to question it when it happened.

I guess the question is - does this departure from the source change her character enough to be a bad adaptation or is it acceptable considering the circumstances? I don't know because I haven't read the source, but I'd be interested to read the thoughts of those who have.
Jul 18, 2015 7:01 AM

Jul 2011
GSupernova said:
I did not pick up on any implied rape vibes at all in that scene, to be honest. Maybe I'm more daft than I think I am but yea. I drew the conclusion that she attacked the bandits because they were plotting to attack the Coda villagers whom she seems to have some rapport with(they refer to her as an oracle and she seems pretty concerned about them). It was a good enough explanation for me not to question it when it happened.

I guess the question is - does this departure from the source change her character enough to be a bad adaptation or is it acceptable considering the circumstances? I don't know because I haven't read the source, but I'd be interested to read the thoughts of those who have.

in simple words, for her murdering isn't a sin, so technically if the bandits wanted to attack the village she shouldn't have cared, that's why there was rape as well in the manga, also, she gets sexually excited by the souls that die in battle, like, in full-scale war she'd basically get an orgasm, in the end, she does it more for personal reasons and work rather than for being a good person, her god/she is the god of war and death after all...
Jul 18, 2015 7:30 AM

Sep 2014
Well, atleast we got to see the Goth Loli. I definitely liked her. Still, Anime doesn't seem anything special till now. Of course I'll wait and see if it's better or not.
Jul 18, 2015 7:42 AM
Oct 2012
kataklism said:
in simple words,...

You really need to learn when to use the spoiler tab. Anything that TAKES place or is EXPLAINED AFTER the episode needs to be in spoilers.

So explaining what was cut out of this episode is fine since it helps understand the current episode, however anything that happens after and is explained after (and what you wrote is explained 3-4 episodes later) has to be spoiled.

For instance:

That she killed the bandits because they overdid their banditry was explained this episode and since it isn't explained again, it probably won't be explained in the animation and should be explained here so people understand Rori better. And can not be spoiled.
Jul 18, 2015 7:48 AM

Oct 2014
^I'd be careful with that. It's quite possible that things that were not shown are being shown later (or earlier, like that King's PoV of the attack on Arnus hill in EP2 which was shown much later in the manga) instead. Things like the attack on the elven village have a high chance of being shown as a flashback later on.

So no, "because it wasn't shown when the manga showed it" is not a valid excuse to throw around spoilers.
Jul 18, 2015 8:34 AM

May 2014
MC is now sufficiently surrounded in pussy. That was fun, Rori a cutie.

I don't mind that they skimped on blood, violence and rape. Not really necessary (So far) and it means they can sell it to a wider audience.
Jul 18, 2015 10:40 AM

Oct 2008
Im not into fanservice, loli stuff, or fantasy in general.
But i have to be honest, i've grown to like this show, and i don't know why.
I think it's a lot better take on the matter than Outbreak Company was.
It might sounds dumb, but perhaps it is more "realistic".
Anyway, i like it, if it keeps up what it does, it's well worthy for a 8.
Jul 18, 2015 10:43 AM

Jul 2011
Vargr said:
Im not into fanservice, loli stuff, or fantasy in general.
But i have to be honest, i've grown to like this show, and i don't know why.
I think it's a lot better take on the matter than Outbreak Company was.
It might sounds dumb, but perhaps it is more "realistic".
Anyway, i like it, if it keeps up what it does, it's well worthy for a 8.

check manga and novel then, in the anime it isn't nearly as "realistic"
Jul 18, 2015 11:09 AM

Aug 2012
GothLoli Saikou <3.
Jul 18, 2015 11:47 AM

Sep 2013
From the sounds of things, I'm glad they cut out some of the darker subject matters and just toned it down. Things like what the bandits did would simply get me to drop the series.

GothLoliShimigami is pretty great.
Jul 18, 2015 1:57 PM

Jan 2014
Hmmmm It's getting better and better, and a goth Lolita has entered╭( ・ㅂ・)و
Jul 18, 2015 2:26 PM
Jan 2008
According the manga, Lelei should have silver hair. And now she has blue hair in the anime?!

http://m.mangafox.me/manga/gate_jietai_kare_no_chi_nite_kaku_tatakeri/v03/c023/22.html

Also, they really tuned down the violence and cut out the sex scenes.
I have a mixed feeling about this. I really like the serie, I hope more people can enjoy this serie. By cutting the violence and sex, a bigger audience can be reached. But I do think that the violence and the sex are necessarily to explain the context and cultural differences between special area and earth, espcially in the later part of the manga/novel. For that I am dissapointed in the anime studio.
ckberserkerJul 18, 2015 3:00 PM
Jul 18, 2015 3:54 PM

Mar 2012
You know...i keep hearing how it is bad they toned down the censors...but if u look at the bigger picture things could have been a lot worse and compared to most censors ...this is one of the more better censored.

Add in the variables...it is a series that is airing on TV and it needs to appeal to a wider general audience to get a bigger fan base....but if u add topics such as rape ....murder...etc...you are going to turn off a lot of people as well as focus on matter which are highly controversial and sensitive. so of course it is going to be toned down and censored..

but it could have been a lot worse.....imagine they add all of those scenes but be censored as hell with black and white images of light or skipped over entirely....at the very least they are still adding a lot of the action and some blood and violence....there have been series which had a lot of worsen censoring done to them ...that ruined the show completely. Such as Terraformers.....Tokyo Ghoul....Prison school that is also airing right now...is being ruined with the censorship it is suffering...so i am saying things could be a lot worse...and look at all the above issues that a TV airing series had to endure.

After all that...GATE so far has been pretty spot on......the adaption going in smoothly and i like the animation and soundtrack this series is getting....So yes i am looking forward to watching more of it...this is my fav anime of the summer after all .. .:D
Jul 18, 2015 4:06 PM

Dec 2013
It seems I'm in the minority here and would actually prefer if they'd toned down the gore. Can't really avoid violence here, but with the kinda lighthearted mood the series has ( which I like ) the killing, gore shots feel a bit jarring to me. I dunno, not a fan of gore in the first place.

But other than that, I simply loved this episode. Just when I thought my hype for this series has completely died out, this episode totally brought it back. Nice introductions to the new heroines, the pacing feels also very nice plus the action is amazing, especially that part with "gothic lolita girl" fighting those bandits.

I like it so far.
Jul 18, 2015 4:11 PM

Mar 2014
ckberserker said:
According the manga, Lelei should have silver hair. And now she has blue hair in the anime?!

http://m.mangafox.me/manga/gate_jietai_kare_no_chi_nite_kaku_tatakeri/v03/c023/22.html

Also, they really tuned down the violence and cut out the sex scenes.
I have a mixed feeling about this. I really like the serie, I hope more people can enjoy this serie. By cutting the violence and sex, a bigger audience can be reached. But I do think that the violence and the sex are necessarily to explain the context and cultural differences between special area and earth, espcially in the later part of the manga/novel. For that I am dissapointed in the anime studio.
Anime made it a bit too blue, it's a mix between silver and blue.
Jul 18, 2015 4:25 PM
Jan 2008
robis798 said:
It seems I'm in the minority here and would actually prefer if they'd toned down the gore. Can't really avoid violence here, but with the kinda lighthearted mood the series has ( which I like ) the killing, gore shots feel a bit jarring to me. I dunno, not a fan of gore in the first place.

-ShadowClaw- said:

but it could have been a lot worse.....imagine they add all of those scenes but be censored as hell with black and white images of light or skipped over entirely....at the very least they are still adding a lot of the action and some blood and violence....there have been series which had a lot of worsen censoring done to them ...that ruined the show completely. Such as Terraformers.....Tokyo Ghoul....Prison school that is also airing right now...is being ruined with the censorship it is suffering...so i am saying things could be a lot worse...and look at all the above issues that a TV airing series had to endure.

I don't mind they toned down the gore and it is true that bad censorship will definitely ruin the show. But it's how they cutting out scenes/elements that I am worried about. I am not going to spoil, but at some point later in the story sex/rape become a key element to trigger a big event. If they cut it out, the whole story will not make any sense and will lose its impact on the audience.
ckberserkerJul 18, 2015 4:31 PM
Jul 18, 2015 4:35 PM

Mar 2012
ckberserker said:
robis798 said:

-ShadowClaw- said:

I don't mind they toned down the gore and it is true that bad censorship will definitely ruin the show. But it's how they cutting out scenes/elements that I am worried about. I am not going to spoil, but at some point later in the story sex/rape become a key element to trigger a big event. If they cut it out, the whole story will not make any sense and will lose its impact on the audience.

I don't think they will cut those out..more like they would adapt the scenes...to make it being implied there is rape...but not direct...you know like showing the bed....in a distance....noises...with a a few skin shots...etc...it has been done before....but no point in worrying about it know...we will cross that line when it comes.
Jul 18, 2015 4:59 PM
Jan 2008
-ShadowClaw- said:
ckberserker said:

I don't think they will cut those out..more like they would adapt the scenes...to make it being implied there is rape...but not direct...you know like showing the bed....in a distance....noises...with a a few skin shots...etc...it has been done before....but no point in worrying about it know...we will cross that line when it comes.

But by doing that the story will lose the impact and the character development. For example, the bandits Rory has killed in this episode, the audience knows they have done terrible things by discussing it around the camp fire. But in the manga you can see how the girls are getting raped and begging for their lives. Yet the badits rape and kill the girls. As reader you are really disgusted by that and when Rory come and slaughter the bandits, you feel justice. Also Rory make one bandit digs a grave to bury the girls, after that she prays and says she is sorry that she is late to save them. This is where I felt in love with the character Rory, but none of that is shown in the anime.
ckberserkerJul 18, 2015 5:03 PM
Jul 18, 2015 5:14 PM
Feb 2011
Rory best girl.
Jul 18, 2015 6:07 PM

Mar 2015
heh.
Jul 18, 2015 6:51 PM
Jan 2014
ckberserker said:

Which event is it? If it is
Jul 18, 2015 7:10 PM
Mar 2010
kataklism said:
GSupernova said:

in simple words, for her murdering isn't a sin, so technically if the bandits wanted to attack the village she shouldn't have cared, that's why there was rape as well in the manga, also, she gets sexually excited by the souls that die in battle, like, in full-scale war she'd basically get an orgasm, in the end, she does it more for personal reasons and work rather than for being a good person, her god/she is the god of war and death after all...
dude use spoiler tag.
Jul 18, 2015 7:55 PM

Oct 2014
HELLSATAN said:
dude use spoiler tag.

No, I'd suggest talking about this in the first place. We should create a "manga - anime comparison thread" instead to discuss this. Otherwise the anime-onlys are going to be "accidently" spoiled because someone fogot spoiler tags like that. Also you should not quote the spoiler yourself, otherwise even if the other person edits their spoiler, it will still be plainly visible on your own post.

Please, people, since we have this sub-forum, let's just use it.

EDIT: Because I know people are lazy, I just made one myself:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1407374
Grey-ZoneJul 18, 2015 8:04 PM
Jul 18, 2015 8:13 PM
Oct 2012
Grey-Zone said:
^I'd be careful with that. It's quite possible that things that were not shown are being shown later...So no, "because it wasn't shown when the manga showed it" is not a valid excuse to throw around spoilers.

While I would agree that it could be revealed later, if what is shown itself leads to a contradiction the revelation should not be condemned.

In this instance the original person who was curious why Rori killed the bandits but did not kill the JSDF is a legitimate question. Hoping that the animation will "eventually" explain it is, IMO, asking too much. A good adaption should have explained it before the question arose. I don't blame an observant viewer from asking "why" at this time. Nor would I blame the explanation. For me advancing on the plot is wrong, but when the story exceeds the plot, I cannot fault the expaliners.
Jul 18, 2015 8:21 PM

Oct 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
Grey-Zone said:
^I'd be careful with that. It's quite possible that things that were not shown are being shown later...So no, "because it wasn't shown when the manga showed it" is not a valid excuse to throw around spoilers.

While I would agree that it could be revealed later, if what is shown itself leads to a contradiction the revelation should not be condemned.

In this instance the original person who was curious why Rori killed the bandits but did not kill the JSDF is a legitimate question. Hoping that the animation will "eventually" explain it is, IMO, asking too much. A good adaption should have explained it before the question arose. I don't blame an observant viewer from asking "why" at this time. Nor would I blame the explanation. For me advancing on the plot is wrong, but when the story exceeds the plot, I cannot fault the expaliners.

You should seriously look up the definition of "contradiction". It has absolutely nothing to do with what you just said. Posting spoilers because the anime takes a different approach from another adaption is not "ok" just because you say so. At least keep it out of this thread.

Also the anime seems to add some kind of "mystery" aspect in, where some questions are deliberatly not answered.
Grey-ZoneJul 18, 2015 8:27 PM
Jul 18, 2015 8:32 PM
Oct 2012
Grey-Zone said:
You should seriously look up the definition of "contradiction". It has absolutely nothing to do with what you just said. Posting spoilers because the anime takes a different approach from another adaption is not "ok" just because you say so.

I ardently disagree. Once the animation passes what was explained in the source material, one cannot claim that the person using the source material to explain what was shown is "spoiling". A good adaptation can leave questions open, but it should never contradict itself. In this case Rori's actions were not unexplainable, but rather conflicting, thus an explanation of the contradiction is not unwarranted.
Jul 18, 2015 9:25 PM

Oct 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
I ardently disagree. Once the animation passes what was explained in the source material, one cannot claim that the person using the source material to explain what was shown is "spoiling". A good adaptation can leave questions open, but it should never contradict itself. In this case Rori's actions were not unexplainable, but rather conflicting, thus an explanation of the contradiction is not unwarranted.

So where is the so-called "contradiction" you speak of? She killed a bunch of bandits for as of yet unknown reasons other than that she "sends them to her god". We still don't know why, but it's possible her motives will be explained later on. Where is there a contradiction in that? A contradiction would be if, say, Rory gave a DIFFERENT explanation compared to the source material, which she didn't, ergo there is no contradiction.

If people want to know about it regardless, they may ask in a different thread, but there is literally no reason to spoil unsuspecting anime only viewers who want to experience the story purely through the anime.

This is the same shit like people who post Fate/Zero spoilers in F/sn:UBW episode threads because "it happens chronologically before Fate/stay night, so it's not a spoiler!", but you are wrong, it IS a spoiler.
Grey-ZoneJul 18, 2015 9:31 PM
Jul 18, 2015 10:12 PM
Mar 2010
vangoz said:
Finally all the fantasy girls have been introduced :)

But my favorite girl is still

You mean kurobayashi.
Jul 18, 2015 10:15 PM
Mar 2010
bobzanny said:
It seems like people forget that this is an adaptation not a 1:1 carbon copy. I see no benefit for viewers pleasure just to know that there was 1 rape scene and talk about necrophilia. From what I've read the anime improves upon the source material.

There's not just one rape scene there a lot and also more coming.
Jul 18, 2015 10:21 PM
Oct 2013
Kelgair said:
heh.

Best gif in this thread.
Jul 18, 2015 10:25 PM
Mar 2010
salmon3669 said:
DarklordVor said:
Everyone seems to be comparing this with the manga. And I was like, is the manga 100% adaptation of the novel? Or did the manga exaggerates things that are in the novel? Because I'm sure this anime would follow the original adaptation, which is the novel. But who knows? Other than those 85 users who claimed to read the novel, no one actually knows if the manga follows the novel 100%
the LN is even worse than the manga in politics and gore. Especially right wing politics and anti-americanism and "Japan is the perfect society, it has done no wrong"

This is the reason no ones translating it some tried but the heavy political BS made then give yup. The author is way to patriotic.
Jul 18, 2015 10:36 PM

Aug 2013
So we have a gorgeous, flirtatious, super strong, axe-wielding goth loli voiced by Taneda Risa?
Best girl status so much that it's not even fair to the competition.
Jul 18, 2015 11:57 PM

Mar 2012
Lewd goth lolita is lewd.
Jul 19, 2015 12:46 AM

Nov 2014
RIP horse.

Jonesy974 said:
So we have a gorgeous, flirtatious, super strong, axe-wielding goth loli voiced by Taneda Risa?
Best girl status so much that it's not even fair to the competition.

It has been a while since meeting a character that has this much of things that I hate
HakayaJul 19, 2015 12:49 AM
Jul 19, 2015 2:07 AM

Jun 2013
Really...I really Like Recon Team 3....They are hilarious. yep...Talking about Dragon is really Jinxing it! XD

ITS IS TUKA!!! AND LEILEI!!! AND WE WILL SEE RORY!!!! XD ITAMI'S HAREM IS SLOWLY ARRIVING INTO STORY!! XD I like Rory most(Brutal, Bad Ass Half-God)...Leilei close 2nd. Especially what she said Tuka in Flame Dragon Lair.

Well, JSDF just got Leilei's interest...and Those Poor Bandits...XD Talked about Wrong things..and Most Bad Ass Loli Girl Rory heard it...at least they died fast.

They Really Tuned Down the Violence...Boo... I wanted see Rory Brutal Slaughter.
Well we saw how Bad Ass she was at least.

O___O LOL!!! RORY IS BEST!!! DAMN ITAMI!!! XDXDXDXDXDXD SHE REALLY IS BEST CHARACTER IN THIS ENTIRE SERIES!!! XD

Lol, that Shoulder Check...In middle of the Battle...Is not a Time!!! XD and now that Dragon is Armless...and Very pissed off...

JarjaxleJul 19, 2015 7:17 AM
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Jul 19, 2015 2:07 AM

Jun 2015
Another great episode. Nice intros for the new characters, awesome action scenes and awkward situations to show the differences in culture between the 2 worlds.

Best moment of the episode:

Jul 19, 2015 3:02 AM
Mar 2010
Blankbite said:
Kelgair said:
heh.

Best gif in this thread.

I really hate for they portrayed sage Kato.
Jul 19, 2015 3:20 AM
Jan 2014
Paulo27 said:
Shock_Yin said:

Just leave it up to A-1 pictures to mess up something
A-1 Pictures should know they have to be more edgy than this.

Even Passione is more Edgy.

Still it's a pretty minor thing.

Jul 19, 2015 3:24 AM

Oct 2014
The dragon actually lost his arm. If you look at it, you see it is gone and the dragon has problems balancing him-/herself while flying away.

Granted, it's easy to miss it.
Jul 19, 2015 3:42 AM

Jul 2011
Grey-Zone said:
The dragon actually lost his arm. If you look at it, you see it is gone and the dragon has problems balancing him-/herself while flying away.

Granted, it's easy to miss it.

didn't know they had to censor even that.
Jul 19, 2015 5:10 AM

Dec 2012
A new girl appeared, the goth loli :). The episode is very good, all the fights are dynamic and well animated. The story with the villagers was interesting too.
Jul 19, 2015 6:03 AM

Nov 2012
Best anime this season o.o
Jul 19, 2015 7:59 AM

Feb 2013
I'm just glad that Rory Mercury is not voiced by Kana Hanazawa since she also voiced Kuroneko who is also a goth loli. I'm just getting tired of hearing her voice every season in almost every anime.

But I think Madhouse would have done this show more justice. Because I'm sure they can make it darker and more gory and less moe.
traitorAIZEN_J7Jul 19, 2015 8:03 AM
Jul 19, 2015 11:13 AM

Sep 2014
this show is even better than i hoped when I read about it :D
Awesome stuff! :D
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jul 19, 2015 12:51 PM
Nov 2012
Leilei is presented well in the anime, but her sensei is a dork. She's a combat mage. How could that guy have trained her?
Jul 19, 2015 1:57 PM

Feb 2014
LOL this thread tho. To all of you complaining, are you really that upset about there not being enough violence? Are you 12? Blood and Gore don't make an anime. Though then again the users on MAL tend to try and make themselves look more mature by being all edgy. Like literally don't put on every episode thread of this show that there needs to be more violence & blood, I'm sure theres a reason why it was toned down. It's you people that make this website cancer

That aside, really good episode. The scene after the fight with the dragon was beauuuutiful
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2015

207 by GooseHybrid »»
Apr 25, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2015

186 by Shadized »»
Apr 14, 6:47 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2015

283 by Myetx »»
Mar 30, 1:27 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2015

188 by Strahan »»
Mar 24, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2015

436 by Rohanr »»
Mar 5, 8:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.