Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (25) « First ... « 22 23 [24] 25 »
Oct 6, 2020 7:16 PM

Apr 2008
I bawled during this final episode, but I am still quite skeptical on whether I really liked the anime.

I appreciate the grief aspect and exploring the views of parents, but it dragged on at times. It took 8 episodes for Menma to actually show herself to the rest of the group which was frustrating.

Despite there being mutual feelings between menma and jinta, I don't see the chemistry at all. Maybe it's the VA for menma which I find annoying and childish sounding. Also the fact that there was never a clear backstory on their development in feelings either.

We actually end up getting more development on all the other characters except for jinta. And he still never cuts his hair ffs.

I expected to learn the full story of what happened that day, though I guess it's implied that she drowned at some point, and no one else saw except for poppo.

I liked the dramatic aspects and soundtrack but the Mal rating is quite high for what it is. I think I'd give it a 6.5-7/10.
Oct 15, 2020 4:19 PM

Jun 2020
Was definitely worth the watch. I think that the 11 episodes didn't give the characters a chance for more development/fleshing out, but what it did in 11 episodes satisfied me completely.

Glad I got to spend my time on a series like this, it was well worth it if I am going to be completely honest.
Have a great day!

Oct 25, 2020 4:41 PM
Apr 2019
What I love about this story is how Menma kept her childhood innocence and how that was effective in bringing the friends back together. All of them shouting that they love her and her telling them how much she loves them made my heart crack at the end because for a minute they all went back to being small innocent children untainted by the selfishness of the adult world. The ending made this anime 10/10
Nov 14, 2020 6:45 PM
Apr 2018
Whew..Rip Menma~
Nov 20, 2020 11:16 PM

Jul 2020
This anime is so beautiful. The part where they all confess their personal interests in sending off Menma was really powerful and for me the roughest would be Poppo’s. I though he has no personal interests in it but ended up having the worst memory of Menma.

I haven’t cried for a while now in a series. Overall it was a nice ride. They perfectly send the feels they wanted to the viewers I guess.
Nov 24, 2020 3:48 AM
May 2020
Okay, I expected to cry, but NOT THAT MUCH. 10/10 show, would recommend.
Dec 12, 2020 7:49 AM

May 2019
chaelmii said:
i laughed when poppo was kneeling then anaru suddenly interrupts then jintan said she has two eyelashes!

if you didn't cry on this last episode, you're a freaking MACHINE!

[right]ANO HANA FTW!

I only just watched it and now I feel like a robot bc I didn't get close to crying thanks hahahahaha... but holy shit that was such a powerful ending. To me, though, it didn't seem sad, if anything I felt kinda happy with how it turned out (although a tiny part of me sorta wanted Jintan to 'marry' Menma)

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Dec 31, 2020 5:12 PM
Aug 2010
Hmm very predictable ending since episode 2 or so, that's why I can't be really sad, cause you excatcly know what will happen. The cast is pretty average, I will probably forget every single character after a few month, cause nobody left a mark for me. Still I enjoyed it, but quite overrated 7/10
Jan 13, 2021 10:51 PM

Jan 2020
the ending was emotional, great, and somewhat disappointing.

overall: it was preditable, kinda disappointing, sometimes awkward, but very emotional and enjoyable.
despite it's flaws, it was a great anime, which was very emotional ><
and even if the ending isn't perfect it still counts as somewhat of a win. i did enjoy this anime overall.

8/10
3099Jan 13, 2021 11:22 PM
Jan 18, 2021 10:34 AM

Feb 2019
That was an amazing series.

I didn't expect the wish to be to make Jintan cry, and I honestly don't remember when did he cry. I think it's when Jintan was telling Menma to not only worry about others but worry about herself too.

That was a nice scene at the temple, when everyone aired out their feelings while shouting and crying, and they all basically made up. They were no longer burdened by their feelings and regrets anymore, all pent up inside. Now they understand each other, and most importantly Jintan finally realised and understood that it wasn't just him who was so greatly affected by what had happened on that day. I did think that it didn't make sense that they could properly send off Menma to heaven with those kinds of attitudes, but technically it didn't matter in the end because that wasn't her wish. Regardless, it was great seeing everyone get along again, using their nicknames.

The stakes really went up when Jintan found Menma collapsed on the floor. And Jintan truly realised that it wasn't fair if Menma only said goodbye to him. Menma had to say goodbye to everyone. When he stopped being able to see her and everyone frantically searched for her... those were terrifying, desperate shouts.

And then those letters. I started tearing up the moment Tsuruko first opened hers, saying how she loves how kind Tsuruko is. How hardworking Yukiatsu is. How funny Poppo is. How steady Anaru is.

But what really got me in tears was Jintan's. She loved him. And not just as friends, but the she'd want to marry him kind. And I think at that moment, all the what-could-have-beens and what-ifs were flying through Jintan's head. And that made it hurt more, knowing that they could never happen. That it is simply something that's... lost.

When Anaru shouted out that she could see Menma, and everyone's faces looked up and you could see the surprise plain on their faces, I had goosebumps. Finally, finally, they could see Menma. Not just Jintan, but EVERYBODY. And everybody managed to say their goodbyes to Menma, and Menta to everybody.

And then they shouted that they had found her, and she said that she was found... and she disappeared.

That scene was beautiful. Absolutely beautiful, impactful, emotional. Bittersweet, yes. But lovely. Beautiful, even if this is the fourth time I'm saying it. That's what it was.

Great to see that Jintan is finally going to school, Yukiatsu and Tsuruko have made up (and hopefully get together!), and Poppo is not just running away from his regrets and is finally moving forward (I guess he's studying? Way to go!).

Also, I sure hope Yukiatsu's done with his crossdressing days. It's not the crossdressing that's the problem really, it's the fact that the one he was crossdressing as was a girl who's been dead for 10 years...

I'm also surprised that I think they managed to clear up things regarding Tsuruko. One primary concern was that we knew very well what Jintan's, Yukiatsu's, and Anaru's problems were related to Menma's death, but not Poppo's and Tsuruko's. I honestly thought it wasn't going to be very good, but Tsuruko's was. It explained everything, and I could understand and feel her. I can't say the same for Poppo, but it was pretty good as well.

This show is not perfect, I think. The pacing can be quite fast, especially I think the late mid episodes, around episodes 9 and 10. Everything felt like they moved too quickly, with only a little breathing room. I think it could've been improved by simply adding a single episode, but it is what it is. And also, I think they haven't explained or haven't explained well enough some things, such as exactly how Menma died. I guess she slipped in that forest, like how Anaru almost did back in the early episodes. Also, as I mentioned before, Poppo's side of the story could be expanded more. And it's never clearly explained why Jintan became a hikkikomori, and how exactly did his mother's death affected him, and how it contributed to his becoming a hikkikomori and not moving on with his life. Also a minor thing is the flowers, I think they never mentioned it until the final episode, and during the epilogue too. Although I think I'll let that slide since it's poetic and beautiful and I love those kinds of things!

But all things considered, it was a great series. I was about to give it an 8. But I must say, this last episode, and especially the last scenes, has brought it up to a 9. I'd like to give this a 10, but I can't due to some of the issues. But it has immediately become one of my favourite series (something I already anticipated from the beginning anyway). It was beautiful, and I haven't seen such a beautiful anime in a while.

Glad to see that everyone's back together, and moving on with their lives. And that Menma is in peace.

And so...

あの日見た花の名前を僕達はまだ知らない。
Jan 18, 2021 2:33 PM

Jun 2020
I mean, I admit it, I cried at both episode 9 & 10. Of course you knew where this show was going from the start, but it still hit me like a ton of bricks. This episode was just perfect IMO, and I'm so happy everyone got to say their goodbyes. It was so satisfying. Sayonara Menma! =) ❀
Jan 23, 2021 10:54 AM
Jan 2021
Damn this ending make me score 10/10 its so sad no matter how many time i watch this scene when menma shout Mou ikkai while writing the letter and when they found menma suddenly tears just went down
Without this ending i think i would just score 8/10 but this sad ending is the best from all sad ending anime i watched

Anjou unrequited love also make me kinda sad for her eventhough
she is loyal and keep loving jinta till the end
Feb 9, 2021 8:49 AM
Jan 2021
I definitely cried, but I'll never watch this show again, way too depressing.
Feb 13, 2021 9:05 PM
Feb 2021
I CRIED SO MANY TIMES WHEN I WAS WATCHING THIS! 😭😭
Feb 22, 2021 12:43 AM
May 2020
ukinotuke said:
Yukiatsu gave the hairpin to Tsurumi in the end? Because she had the old one.

No earlier I’m the anime she had it. Yukiatsu threw it into the forest when mfl ran to find mml and ig tsurumi picked it up.
Mar 5, 2021 5:46 AM

Jan 2021
It was sad but it was alright, little busters did the same thing but so much better and executed perfectly
Mar 26, 2021 10:20 AM

May 2016
Oh God. I am a mess.

I needed to see what this anime was like considering it was one of the highest-rated Slice Of Life anime, and now I see why. This episode really hit home with me because I lost a friend who was so young. I'm so happy the crew got to say goodbye to Menma before she left, and of course, she went out smiling.

A really good anime actually, a little slow in places, however, this final episode totally made up for that. 8/10 from me.
RoronoadawnMar 26, 2021 10:24 AM
Mar 28, 2021 6:40 AM

Jan 2008
10 years on and this still makes me cry.
Apr 8, 2021 11:30 PM

Mar 2019
Real Laughs make ur stomach ache...

Real Tears, make ur stomache ache, too...

10/5 Episode... 8/10 as Series...

Sincerely i expected it to be more sadder...

So Beautiful, but could be more painful.
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Apr 13, 2021 12:11 PM

Aug 2020
Amazing anime. A good story gives you emotions and things to think upon; AnoHana isn't different. Jinta didn't want to leave Menma, but it was necessary. After all, they will meet again. The soundtrack is beautiful and catchy, and the animation is good as well, with a special detail to the landscapes (like the bridge). I never felt so emotional with an anime before, and I'm grateful. I'm so happy to see that the friends managed to stay close, and learn from their past. Unforgettable story.

Apr 18, 2021 11:22 PM

Jan 2013
i was so ready to just give it a 6/7, like it was good but there were some offputting stuff like Menma’s first impression and the most of the gang being unlikable, aside from maybe Poppo (god it must suck to be him to actually see IT) for a good chunk of the series....then this amazing episode happened, single handedly bumped it up to an 8 for me. gonna need a quick funny to watch to recover from this lol
Apr 23, 2021 1:10 AM

May 2020
I swear this has to be one of the best endings ever, the tears are not lyinggg
100/100 ending and 9/10 for the show, the start wasn't very good
May 1, 2021 6:07 PM

Mar 2018
Never seen that much crying in anime they cried like a bit*h lol good anime
May 10, 2021 7:25 PM

Dec 2020
it.. ended. it ended. it ended. it ended greatly tho, satisfyingly. the group venting the feelings they've kept for years, their guilt, jealousy, all those shitty aspects of themselves. the still very much humane side of them. and that ending god fucking damnit. when they read the letter menma gave to each of them tears were uncontrollable. as they confessed their feelings, menma did too, all closing up on each other. and at the end, they saw her. all of them.

that was a great 11 episode, rly happy i watched this show. will definitely miss it but theres still a movie so im omw to watch that o7
May 14, 2021 11:00 AM
Jan 2021
Didn't made me cry as ppl claimed it would but my heart was sure overwhelmed. Quite a touching series.

8/10 for me.
Jun 17, 2021 11:42 AM

Jun 2019
My 61st completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.
Jul 15, 2021 9:11 AM
Sep 2020
I cried for real.
"We found you, Menma!"
Aug 27, 2021 2:34 AM
Nov 2020
A 10/10 episode!!!

What a way to end this beautiful journey. The ending is so emotional. It made me couldn't stop crying for about 10 minutes~ This episode is the main reason why I gave this show a 10 out of 10!
Nov 22, 2021 2:12 PM
Nov 2021
Yeah it was a great anime worth watching like you know "overall", but imo it was kinda boring. I mean I'm used to shounens and horrors so what reaction would you expect.

Ngl the ending made me cry aaand I really liked it. Wouldn't watch it again but you know if you're looking for some short, sad slice of life anime I would recommand it.

Overall I think it is a great anime not the best from that season but yeah sure watch it if you want 8/10
Dec 20, 2021 6:40 AM

Mar 2021
after a year of planning now this show has been finished xD, I feel sad but the tears just won't come out. It is still a good ending nevertheless, maybe it was a bad idea to binge-watch Anohana, I am not really attached to the characters x(
🐐

Jan 14, 2022 6:56 AM

Jan 2020
Well she did made Jinta cry....but she failed to make me cry......
Jan 24, 2022 10:28 PM
Feb 2021
8/10 Although melodramatic it was an amazing show especially the ending
Feb 3, 2022 8:08 AM

Aug 2014
Anohana is a good anime, but I feel like many anime fans just dont notice the huge negatives in this anime, and dont take that into consideration when rating it. 

I think many anime fans just love Anohana since it shows them "feels/tears" and possible "shipping", and then these fans dont rate Anohana with what they are actually seeing or how the anime is presenting itself.

Anohana has, I guess you can say, interesting characters.

I also do like the mountain-ish small-town setting. 

And it deals with the topic of guilt and moving on, so thats good.

But Anohana has two problems: One is the romance and other is the pacing.

I really do wish that they would have done something more with the romance in this anime, since it had potential, but it never developed into anything.

As for the pacing, This anime is only 11 episodes long (not counting the movie). But oh man, each episode feels like I am sitting down for an hour just to complete a 20-minutes episode.  Anohana has HORRENDOUS pacing, especially the first 5 episodes.  Those first 5 episodes, which is pretty much almost half of the anime, OMG, what a DRAG!!!!  Its not until episode 6 till 11 (final episode) that the anime gets more digestible.

Off to see the Anohana movie now.
oooo3333Mar 27, 1:39 AM
Mar 12, 2022 9:00 AM
Dec 2020
That ending really made me speechless. It was a good sad ending
Mar 19, 2022 10:26 AM

Mar 2022
من اجمل ما شاهدت هاد الانمي من قال انه حزين فقط او كوميدي فقط او رومانسي فقط فأنت لا تعرف شئ عن الانمي
ان الانمي ذاك يعطيك مشاعر كثيره بين الحين والاخر وان الحياه ليست متوقفه للأبد
حقا تقيمي الحقيقي لهاد الانمي هو 10/10
Apr 14, 2022 5:12 AM
Oct 2021
gotta say, this was a nice anime to remember for the decades to come
Jun 15, 2022 1:36 PM
Apr 2022
Best ending i have ever been
Last scene was the best
Jun 23, 2022 9:51 AM
Oct 2021
I am so fricking happy I chose to rewatch this show weekly just like it aired 11 years back, and man what a ride.
Finally everyone got to say a proper goodbye to Menma, after a tragic and abrupt end to their 'we'.
Hopefully, everyone deals with their grief well after this, and help each other move on.
*Now that we got the 10 year anniversary script read, it seems like everyone is happy :)
Really hope we get more short masterpieces like this.
"We will keep going, granting the wishes of those flowers forever."
perpetuallyguruMar 5, 2023 1:21 AM
Jul 2, 2022 5:31 PM

Feb 2017
aaahhh i was kinda upset to see this was another anime where the entire friend group is in love with each other (except poppo, ouch)

though, this is the first time in years that i binged an entire anime in 1 day because i liked it so much. the ed has been making me so emotional, i wasnt tearing up until they started playing it over top of everyone's final farewells (ending of ep 10 made me tear up as well). was very happy to see that everyone finally got to see her before she passed on

i kinda wish jinta had 'proved' to everyone that menma was there earlier, it felt like 8 dragged on episodes of everyone fighting with each other about menma until menma proved she was actually there (though not like they stopped fighting even after she revealed herself to actually be there ahaha)

placeholder text
Jul 4, 2022 12:46 AM

Jun 2020
I feel like a bad person for not crying. But I am a little sad at what could of been between MC and Menma.

7 or 8/10, wondering what the movie is about
Aug 9, 2022 3:47 PM

Dec 2007
For the first half, I think the drama forced me to cry with it, it succeeded a little, but it just was too much cringe lol. Though I'm glad they finally let their feeling out.

For the "finale" part i have mixed feeling.
I had felt two episodes ago with menma and jintan's mother "flashback" that she had connection to his mother and that's her reason. but i just felt it was rushed and didn't had much closure on this plot specifically. it's also makes the whole "reunion" part more as side story, and the event in their childhood as little compare to jintan's mother wish lol.

To say i didn't liked the end i won't say, but i just felt slightly disappointed. maybe if it will have more episode i would feel better?

8/10 to the anime

at any rate, this episode felt truly "end" to the series. the final scenes were touching, though the "logic" hasn't been answered fully, i can understand it, somehow. lol. so i'm really wondering what needs a movie sequel here, lol.
Aug 10, 2022 3:21 PM
Aug 2022
criead like a baby at the end
Aug 16, 2022 1:06 AM
Dec 2021
Good nostalgic series about redemption and honesty.
Aug 19, 2022 5:48 PM

Apr 2019
yakusoku said:
I bawled during this final episode, but I am still quite skeptical on whether I really liked the anime.

I appreciate the grief aspect and exploring the views of parents, but it dragged on at times. It took 8 episodes for Menma to actually show herself to the rest of the group which was frustrating.

Despite there being mutual feelings between menma and jinta, I don't see the chemistry at all. Maybe it's the VA for menma which I find annoying and childish sounding. Also the fact that there was never a clear backstory on their development in feelings either.

We actually end up getting more development on all the other characters except for jinta. And he still never cuts his hair ffs.

I expected to learn the full story of what happened that day, though I guess it's implied that she drowned at some point, and no one else saw except for poppo.

I liked the dramatic aspects and soundtrack but the Mal rating is quite high for what it is. I think I'd give it a 6.5-7/10.

sorry for quoting an old reply but yes lmao you said everything i wanted to

like i cried maybe once or twice during the previous 10 episodes and only cried as much as other say ano hana makes you (cry) basically only at the last 10 minutes lol

+ yes, it drags too too much and couldve been like 6 episodes long if they cut the ones where she doesnt show up imho.

so yeah - nice, but very overrated
Aug 22, 2022 4:59 PM
Aug 2022
With the masterpiece music that was hard to struggle to cry.
Aug 24, 2022 4:31 AM

Apr 2021
why did this make me cry

if you see this you are a cool person
Aug 30, 2022 10:46 AM
Dec 2020
Closest I've ever come to crying at an anime.
Sep 6, 2022 1:36 AM
Apr 2021
it was aight, but it was fun
Sep 25, 2022 9:40 AM
Apr 2022
crazy ending lol .
Nov 6, 2022 4:54 AM
Oct 2022
best show ever
almost cried
Pages (25) « First ... « 22 23 [24] 25 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2011

388 by Grimenio »»
May 14, 9:25 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 9, 2011

328 by Grimenio »»
May 8, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 2, 2011

423 by Grimenio »»
May 8, 5:09 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 19, 2011

218 by Grimenio »»
May 4, 2:10 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 5, 2011

389 by Grimenio »»
Apr 30, 10:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.