Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 6, 2013 2:03 PM
Dec 2012
cant believe battle butler is alive and well, didnt seem like to the type to make it to s4
Apr 7, 2013 4:47 PM

Apr 2008
I find it odd that Shingeki no Kyojin not been Simulcast. The same for Jojo in fall 2012.

Is tha the fees are too expensive or a lack of judgment about what anime would be the most popular during the season?l
Apr 7, 2013 5:11 PM

Sep 2012
KiraYoshikage said:
I find it odd that Shingeki no Kyojin not been Simulcast. The same for Jojo in fall 2012.

Is tha the fees are too expensive or a lack of judgment about what anime would be the most popular during the season?l

Crunchyroll bids for EVERYTHING but not much... maybe not enough? Crunchyroll doesn't care about popular that much, they want to stream everything and have the most simulcasts.

I still hope it will just start up late and catch up quick. Crunchyroll has had some silly late pickups recently, 13 weeks for Little Busters!, some almost library titles like Wooser picked up a week before it stopped airing so catching up after a week or two would be no big thing. Nico Nico starts airing it on the 10th, if it passes the 10th without a simulcast then we could be waiting a while...

Perhaps Funi and Sentai aren't bidding enough for home video rights?

MBS could still be holding out for a better offer. Only they know at this point, the rest of us are guessing. Including me...
Apr 7, 2013 5:24 PM

Apr 2008
I would rather have more the best anime of the season than have more ans second and third order. I do not watch simulcast

I do not mean just crunchy-roll, but there is also Funimation
Apr 7, 2013 11:30 PM

Mar 2009
KiraYoshikage said:

https://twitter.com/AnimeNewsdotbiz/status/320574880221388801

"Looks like MBS and the production committee held back Attack on Titan streaming rights. Not expecting a late pickup either."

I still hope they're wrong. =(
Apr 8, 2013 3:01 AM

Dec 2011
KiraYoshikage said:
I would rather have more the best anime of the season than have more ans second and third order. I do not watch simulcast

I do not mean just crunchy-roll, but there is also Funimation

Funimation does focus on the things it thinks will be popular, though.

Personally I prefer Crunchyroll's approach, though. I'd rather have, say, 30 anime of which I want to watch 12 than 5 of which I want to watch 3.

Anyway, looks like another couple of boxes have been added to Crunchyroll's lineup since yesterday.

P.S. also re
a lack of judgment about what anime would be the most popular during the season

Here's the rankings of (watching + completed) for full length autumn 2012 series on MAL:
tonari no kaibutsu-kun 58398
chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai! 54168
K 45475
btooom! 43572
psycho-pass 42288
sakurasou no pet na kanojo 37643
sukitte ii na yo 35839
magi 34593
zetsuen no tempest 34530
code:breaker 26505
shinsekai yori 26257
robotics notes 25693
kamisama hajimemashita 23538
little busters 20758
onii-chan dakedo ai sae areba kankeinai yo ne 18542
bakuman. 3 16961
jormungand: perfect order 16387
jojo 13372
(lower stuff)

What makes you think that Jojo would have got a simulcast even if CR cared about popularity rather than quantity?
And, given that all 6 of funimation's simulcasts have higher tallies than jojo, what makes you think that there was a "lack of judgement"?
kuuderes_shadowApr 8, 2013 3:33 AM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Apr 8, 2013 3:49 AM

Apr 2008
But, Jojo is 64 in the rank for the average.. The only thing you don't know is that Jojo is in the 10 best-selling manga of all time.

If you just tell me than K is better than Jojo, I will kidding of you. This is not because it is more watching that it is better.
Apr 8, 2013 4:01 AM

Dec 2011
KiraYoshikage said:
The only thing you don't know is that Jojo is in the 10 best-selling manga of all time.

I do know that, actually. And I also know that this is utterly irrelevant. Firstly, that's for Japan, not America/the rest of the world. Secondly, popularity of the manga is not the same as popularity of an anime adaptation, especially when the series is long past its peak.

Also, "better" is irrelevant here, aside from the fact that better series are more likely to hold onto the viewers they do get. As I left out the "on hold" and "dropped" stats, this factor is already accounted for (if anything, doing that goes too far the other way as someone who watches the first half of a series and then drops it still counts to the viewing figures for the first half that they watched).

What matters is the number of people who want to watch a series, not the amount that those people who do watch it will enjoy it. So you may well be right in claiming that Jojo is a better series than K. But from the point of view of a profit-seeking company that is chasing after the most popular series (as you stated that you think they should), the question is not "is this series better?" but "will this series get the most viewers?" and (if it's a company like funimation who also release it on DVD), "will this series get the most people wanting to buy it?"
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Apr 8, 2013 4:42 AM

Sep 2012
kuuderes_shadow said:
KiraYoshikage said:
What matters is the number of people who want to watch a series, not the amount that those people who do watch it will enjoy it. So you may well be right in claiming that Jojo is a better series than K. But from the point of view of a profit-seeking company that is chasing after the most popular series (as you stated that you think they should), the question is not "is this series better?" but "will this series get the most viewers?" and (if it's a company like funimation who also release it on DVD), "will this series get the most people wanting to buy it?"

The thing is, we don't know if more people would have watched Jojo if it had been streamed legally. I usually think that MAL is more about downloaders and fansubbers but could I be wrong? Could it be true that there would be more watchers of Jojo's if Crunchyroll had streamed it?

I sure wish some of the numbers above had translated to sales in Japan. Poor Tonari no Kaibutsu kun, BTOOOM! and especially Sukitte Ii Na Yo really bombed in Japan :'(
Apr 8, 2013 5:03 AM

Dec 2011
hpulley said:

The thing is, we don't know if more people would have watched Jojo if it had been streamed legally. I usually think that MAL is more about downloaders and fansubbers but could I be wrong? Could it be true that there would be more watchers of Jojo's if Crunchyroll had streamed it?

Any difference that this would have made would have been small. The number of people watching Little Busters didn't change significantly when Crunchyroll started airing it, for example.

I think most people choose what shows they want to watch and then look around to see where they can watch it, rather than looking to see what shows a site/fansub group picks up to determine what they watch. I'm sure there are considerably more people who have the same attitude as I do in this respect (if it's available through legal sources, then that's where I'll watch them; if it isn't, I'll turn to fansubs) than there are people who refuse to watch anything that isn't available legally. So even among those who would have watched it on CR or wherever were it available the impact on viewer numbers wouldn't be particularly big.
Apr 8, 2013 10:11 AM

Dec 2011
Monday starting today, April 8, at 11 am Pacific time
US and Canada ONLY

EDIT: the thread was updated. This series is not for premium users only.
kuuderes_shadowApr 8, 2013 11:08 AM
Apr 8, 2013 11:58 AM

Dec 2011
USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Netherlands, and Scandinavia.
every Tuesday starting on April 9, at 1:00p.m. Pacific Time

I look forward to it.
Apr 8, 2013 1:01 PM

Sep 2011

Wonder if this is a Short type anime.
Apr 8, 2013 3:03 PM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
Tyrel said:

Wonder if this is a Short type anime.

Full length eps for this one.

So far I think Crunchy only has two shorts this season, Sparrow;s Hotel and AIURA. Must be a record low? Not done yet perhaps.
Apr 9, 2013 10:04 AM

Dec 2011
http://www.crunchyroll.co.uk/anime-news/2013/04/09-1/crunchyroll-to-stream-photo-kano-anime

Thursday starting on April 11th at 10:00 am
PHOTO KANO will be available to Crunchyroll’s audience in the following territories: United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Finland, Norway, Sweden, and Denmark.
Apr 9, 2013 11:56 AM

Dec 2011
United States, Canada, South Africa, Finland, Norway, Sweden, and Denmark.

Hmm? 2 licenses with south africa and scandinavia but not the UK/Ireland on the same day?

AoD series perhaps?

Then again, we haven't heard anything from them yet.
Apr 9, 2013 12:16 PM

Dec 2011
New box on CR lineup page.
Apr 9, 2013 12:25 PM

Nov 2011
hpulley said:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/04/09/crunchyroll-to-stream-my-teen-romantic-comedy-snafu-anime

Snafu!

NICE.
Apr 9, 2013 12:29 PM

Jun 2012
Still surreal how almost everything but the show people really wanted is getting simulcast even taking the MBS licensing rumor into account haha
Apr 9, 2013 1:13 PM

Sep 2012
Hybridbloodszak said:
Still surreal how almost everything but the show people really wanted is getting simulcast even taking the MBS licensing rumor into account haha

Rumor is Funimation has it, just hasn't announced it yet since they are generally latishcasts. Someone thinks they saw website changes indicating it is coming, same person predicted Date-a-live and Funimation just announced it so... hopefully they are right though I would have preferred Crunchyroll, better Funi than (EDIT)TAN at least (horrible yellow hard subs).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-04-09/funimation-to-stream-date-a-live-romantic-comedy-anime
hpulleyApr 9, 2013 1:45 PM
Apr 9, 2013 1:37 PM

Dec 2011
hpulley said:
hopefully they are right though I would have preferred Crunchyroll, better Funi than AoD at least (horrible yellow hard subs).

Do you mean TAN? Because AoD doesn't use yellow subs:

Time to look into who is fansubbing D-a-L I guess.
kuuderes_shadowApr 9, 2013 1:46 PM
Apr 9, 2013 1:44 PM

Sep 2012
kuuderes_shadow said:
hpulley said:
hopefully they are right though I would have preferred Crunchyroll, better Funi than AoD at least (horrible yellow hard subs).

Do you mean TAN? Because AoD doesn't use yellow subs:

Sorry, meant TAN. Always get them mixed up but I can only get one of them: TAN. If only I could remember which one... doesn't really matter since I don't like using their service.
Apr 9, 2013 3:12 PM

Sep 2012
Red Data Girl also to funimation :(

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-04-09/funimation-to-stream-red-data-girl-tv-anime
http://www.funimation.com/rojas/blog/red-data-girl-joins-the-funimation-spring-simulcast/7606024

But again, better than TAN I guess... when Funimation's video player works at least the subs are white. Too bad they're hard coded but beggars can't be choosers.
Apr 9, 2013 3:17 PM

Sep 2011
Hybridbloodszak said:
http://www.funimation.com/sites/all/themes/funimation2//shows/attack-on-titan/key-art.jpg

Just waiting for the official announcement I guess now....

Link doesn't work lol.
Apr 9, 2013 3:21 PM

Jun 2012
Tyrel said:
Hybridbloodszak said:
http://www.funimation.com/sites/all/themes/funimation2//shows/attack-on-titan/key-art.jpg

Link doesn't work lol.

Really? Been working for me; I tried the link a bunch of times and checked with other sources to make sure

http://www.funimation.com/sites/all/themes/funimation2//shows/attack-on-titan/key-art.jpg One more time for thoroughness

Edit: http://www.funimation.com/sites/all/themes/funimation2/shows/attack-on-titan/splash.jpg

Edit 2: Both pics removed, Simulcast pickup is still considered "Rumor" just to clarify
HybridMBLApr 10, 2013 4:45 PM
Apr 9, 2013 3:25 PM

Sep 2011
Hybridbloodszak said:
Tyrel said:
Hybridbloodszak said:

Link doesn't work lol.

Really? Been working for me and I tried the link a bunch of times and checked with other sources to make sure

http://www.funimation.com/sites/all/themes/funimation2//shows/attack-on-titan/key-art.jpg One more time for throughness

" requested page not found

Sorry, no content was found at the requested path - it's possible that you've requested this page in error.

Use the search form below, or go to the Home Page."

Inb4 US only >_>

Edit: http://www.funimation.com/funimation-general/forum/funimation-central/funimation-general/funimation-to-stream-attack-on-titan

Found the thread, but can't access link :D. *Note this is just a speculation before others think they're actually streaming, aka the link I posted.
Apr 10, 2013 11:11 PM
Jan 2013
My favorite series for Spring is Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU) and Shingeki_no_Kyojin and Oreimo S2
Apr 11, 2013 5:36 PM

Jun 2008
Ooh, I get this one.

FUNimation takes Railgun S.
Apr 11, 2013 7:56 PM

Sep 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
Ooh, I get this one.

So a 2 day latecast. Lul.
Apr 11, 2013 7:57 PM

Jun 2012
The season of latecasts with select titles in both CR and Funi..... Perhaps DAISUKI's influence? We'll see once it gets its supposed reveal this month
Apr 11, 2013 11:13 PM
Mar 2013
Tyrel said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Ooh, I get this one.

Why would you even wait for funimation? There are other subbers officially working on railgun S that seem to be very good. Why not just watch when they release their subs?
Apr 12, 2013 1:59 AM

Sep 2011
dniv said:
Tyrel said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Ooh, I get this one.

Why would you even wait for funimation? There are other subbers officially working on railgun S that seem to be very good. Why not just watch when they release their subs?

I never watch Crunchyroll/FUNimation. I was just stating how it's a 2 day latecast o-o. Other people do have their own ways of thinking, you know? I know quite a few people who only watch shows that get Simulcasts unless its a show from past seasons, etc.
Apr 12, 2013 3:00 AM
Mar 2013
Tyrel said:
dniv said:
Tyrel said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Ooh, I get this one.

I never watch Crunchyroll/FUNimation. I was just stating how it's a 2 day latecast o-o. Other people do have their own ways of thinking, you know? I know quite a few people who only watch shows that get Simulcasts unless its a show from past seasons, etc.

I guess that makes sense. I just wouldn't want to wait longer if I could avoid it. :(

Either way though funimation is doing a much better job than on the first season so there is merit in that. Plus there subs are a lot more professional... answering my own question, lol.
Apr 12, 2013 3:52 AM

Sep 2012
Some people like to watch at a place where some money actually goes back to the people who made the show... you know, so they get paid and stuff? Crazy concept in this day and age I know, people get paid to make stuff but it is all free on the internet so I know people tend to forget that somebody spends their work day on this stuff. Getting it a couple of days early elsewhere doesn't send them anything...

So I wait and watch it at Crunchyroll and Funimation.

If you support the shows some other way, then great! If not then... well... I hope you change your mind and support your favorite shows in some way. Buy a manga, a figure, a disc, a hug pillow...
hpulleyApr 12, 2013 4:37 AM
Apr 12, 2013 12:22 PM

Dec 2011
HENNEKO – The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat - will be available to Crunchyroll’s audience in the following territories: USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
April 14, 2013 at 6:30am Pacific Time
Apr 12, 2013 3:47 PM

Jun 2012
http://www.funimation.com/rojas/blog/attack-on-titan-episode-one-available-now-for-funimation-elite-video-subscribers/7611482

And here is the last major announcement of the season but for Subscribers only which is a rarity on their end. Wonder why they're doing it for this series but didn't do it for PP or R;B last season. I guess they're trying to boost subscription numbers for themselves

Bleh.... at least its licensed officially though
HybridMBLApr 12, 2013 4:57 PM
Apr 12, 2013 5:57 PM

Sep 2011
Hybridbloodszak said:
http://www.funimation.com/rojas/blog/attack-on-titan-episode-one-available-now-for-funimation-elite-video-subscribers/7611482

And here is the last major announcement of the season but for Subscribers only which is a rarity on their end. Wonder why they're doing it for this series but didn't do it for PP or R;B last season. I guess they're trying to boost subscription numbers for themselves

Bleh.... at least its licensed officially though

lol gg.
Apr 12, 2013 10:45 PM
Apr 12, 2013 11:56 PM

Dec 2011

Where did that come from?
Apr 13, 2013 12:26 AM

Jun 2012
Funny comment I saw regarding the recent joint simulcast for Attack on Titan from ANN. Still this situation is weird and was definitely unexpected.

(Not True!)
Crunchyroll: We want to stream Attack on Titan.
MBS: Sorry, we're not just giving those rights out.
Funimation: We want to stream Attack on Titan.
MBS: Sorry, we're not just giving those rights out.
Funimation: How about a full license? DVDs, everything?
MBS: Hmm, ok, that would be ok.
Funimation: And if we have that, might as well stream it as well... right?
MBS: Sure. But not you. Or not just you.
Funimation: Huh?
MBS: Your streaming sucks, Crunchyroll has a bigger marketshare in streaming. We want it streaming there. You can stream it too, though.
Funimation: Didn't you turn them down for streaming?
MBS: Yes, because that would be just streaming, and we can't have that. Oh, did we mention your DVD rights are contingent on getting the Crunchyroll stream?
Funimation: Ok... Hey, Crunchyroll, I know we normally compete, but how would you like to work together to stream Attack on Titan.
Crunchyroll: We'd love it!
MBS: Make sure all these contracts are signed in triplicate before you make any announcements!
HybridMBLApr 13, 2013 12:57 AM
Apr 13, 2013 10:02 AM

Sep 2011

Inb4 latecast. Surprised they even got it.
Apr 13, 2013 10:14 AM

Sep 2011
jmal said:
Tyrel said:

Episode 2 goes up tommorow along with episode one. Not a latecast (except for ep 1 of course).

Is a 1 day latecast if they release every Sunday though :P
TyrelApr 13, 2013 10:18 AM
Apr 13, 2013 11:52 AM

Jun 2008
Tyrel said:
jmal said:
Tyrel said:

Episode 2 goes up tommorow along with episode one. Not a latecast (except for ep 1 of course).

Picky, picky.
Apr 13, 2013 12:20 PM

Sep 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
Tyrel said:
jmal said:
Tyrel said:

Picky, picky.

Not really, I don't even watch CR. I'm just saying what could happen.
Apr 13, 2013 8:27 PM

Jun 2011
I'm willing to wait a day. Right now, I'm just super psyched that they actually got it!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Voice Actress Eiko Masuyama Dies at 89

DatRandomDude - 12 hours ago

5 by Sondo »»
2 hours ago

» 'Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san' Manga Ends in Three Chapters

DatRandomDude - 11 hours ago

5 by Simar »»
3 hours ago

» New 'Keroro Gunsou' Anime Project Announced

DatRandomDude - Mar 31

13 by LuminousXstar »»
Yesterday, 1:07 PM

» North American Anime & Manga Releases for June

Aiimee - Yesterday

0 by Aiimee »»
Yesterday, 11:38 AM

» Voice Actor Takeo Ootsuka Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - May 31

13 by 210200 »»
Yesterday, 7:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.