Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 15, 2011 5:10 PM

Nov 2008
DAMMIT Gillette fusion proglide ruined the moment XDDD I got teary until that hilarious commercial came in XDD

Another anime I look forward to! :D

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Apr 15, 2011 5:10 PM

Jan 2011
Somehow, I feel bad for Menma, she's dead, yet she wants a wish to be granted, yet the only one who can seem to see her is well, Jintan, who isn't very much liked xD;;;
(well he's thought of as weird so yeah..)
good anime... xD
Apr 15, 2011 5:13 PM

Jun 2008
i loved it. no complaints here, since usually im not a fan of slice of life, but this one i find it cute and interesting.
i also loved the voice actors.

Let the drama begin!

Cant wait for next ep;D

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Apr 15, 2011 5:21 PM

Mar 2010
I guess I was the only one who didn't cry lol.
C'mon, it wasn't that sad, was it? I bet there will be sadder episodes to come.

I thought the first episode was alright.
Some of it felt like forced drama and Menma is kind of annoying (and yes, I'm aware that she died as a kid and she's mentally stuck that way) but damn, she got on my nerves pretty fast lol.

Looking forward to the next episode though~
Apr 15, 2011 5:57 PM

Dec 2008
sugarscream said:
lol good to know I wasn't the only one who teared up at this. I had no idea Menma was supposed to be a ghost before I started this. ;_;

Yumekichi11 said:
while the whole proof that she has her period kind of got intriguing but I guess it's to show that she has her mood swings due to that.

What? Dude, no... That is not what pads or tampons look like.

LOL. Wtf? Lol at whoever thought she was on her period...what a weird thing to conclude.

Bunny-kins said:
I guess I was the only one who didn't cry lol.
C'mon, it wasn't that sad, was it? I bet there will be sadder episodes to come.

Don't worry, I didn't think it was that sad either...

Really promising show, I was surprised but how much I enjoyed this.
Apr 15, 2011 6:01 PM

Mar 2010
Only the first episode and it already had me in tears. Even with that though, I still loved this first episode and can't wait for more!
Apr 15, 2011 6:07 PM

Nov 2007
Great first ep, although Menma was a bit annoying for me. I hope she stops making a fuss over everything, I want to see some character development for her later on.
& it was kind of emotional for me as well... Maybe because I can relate to the idea of friends changing and splitting ways as they grow up...& also the time stopping thing...

Apr 15, 2011 6:10 PM

Jun 2010
Good start but I hope this doesn't turn into a flop.
Apr 15, 2011 6:17 PM
Sep 2010
This is already getting pretty sad. I can tell that I'm going to like this series. I guess I'm a sucker for drama. Can't wait for the next episode.
Apr 15, 2011 6:26 PM

Sep 2010
Good first episode. The drama really drew me in.
Apr 15, 2011 6:47 PM

Jan 2010
Good first episode for me, It's nice to have some drama in this season with a line up of fabulous anime:D
Apr 15, 2011 7:11 PM
Sep 2010
neckgripper said:
Yumekichi11 said:

About Anjo Naruko, my #3 favorite character right after Jinta and who could resist such a girl when she as such a pose in the following,

while the whole proof that she has her period kind of got intriguing but I guess it's to show that she has her mood swings due to that.

She wasn't on her period, that reddish cotton was to wipe off nail polish. I mean what girl leaves her period juice out on her table like that. Pretty disgusting don't you think?

xD lol I laughed hard at the period thing. In that pose, I think she looks like Rei from HOTD.
Apr 15, 2011 7:48 PM

Aug 2009
soulelle said:
Definitely not comparable to Hanasaku - that one is about real life, while this one is a ghost fantasy.
No, it is definitely comparable, as both Hana saku and Ano hana's story is written by same person.
Apr 15, 2011 8:00 PM

May 2010
Very nice anime,the story really touch my heart !!
Apr 15, 2011 8:16 PM
Jan 2011
very nice anime i wasnt expecting too much from this but damn! completely different from the summary!

brought on feelings from itazura na kiss as i found that anime so sweet and moving just cause its one of the few animes that show the afterwards.

i get this feeling that the ending is gonna be like H20 footprints of the sand ending but thats just me kinda hoping for a happy ending like that
Apr 15, 2011 8:17 PM

Jan 2011
Right now, Hanasaku Iroha and this show are on top of my list; Hanasaku for Slice of Life and this show for Drama. It got somewhat close to Clannad by the first episode, something preposterous indeed. High hopes, hoping for a 24 ep season.
5/5
Apr 15, 2011 8:31 PM

Jul 2010
very good first episode. i hope it will get more better.
Apr 15, 2011 8:33 PM

Jun 2010
I knew she was dead in the first few minutes. This is going to become one of my favorite animes. I just know it.

Apr 15, 2011 8:34 PM

Jun 2007
I bet this is the story on how the power rangers where formed. By the end I expect mecha battles.
Apr 15, 2011 8:46 PM

Oct 2009
Man, just thinking about how they're all going to gather as friends again makes this anime a win in my book. Hope it only gets better and better.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SakataKintoki&sclick=1]
Apr 15, 2011 9:36 PM

Apr 2010
and here I thought that this was gonna be about a heartwarming happy anime about good friends reuniting with each other... instead I get moments where I felt like I wanted to cry...

From my impressions this has got to be my favorite of this seasons so far.
Apr 15, 2011 10:23 PM

Feb 2008
Wow.

Best show this season if you ask me. That was depressing.
Apr 15, 2011 10:25 PM

Sep 2010
Very solid first episode. Though crying? Not so much.
-main char is a delinquent
-ghost girl that died a looong time ago
-works towards repairing the scars of the past
at least these points show some similarity to Kanon and Clannad. I'm already expecting a sad ending.
From the looks of it, this will be the best drama/romance series this season, or possibly best show overall.

Gilette fusion glido ruined all the emotions...

Apr 15, 2011 10:36 PM

Sep 2010
Duuude. I sense angst, but still, this was incredible. I don't know how to explain it, but I've got a feeling that this will be good.
Apr 15, 2011 10:39 PM

Mar 2008
My body was not ready for this. Just from the musical score's execution, this anime is gonna be on par with Hanasaku Iroha. It's the same director as Toradora so the show is in safe hands =]
Apr 15, 2011 10:59 PM
Mar 2011
The name of the flower we saw that day, still eludes us...
Apr 15, 2011 11:49 PM

Feb 2010
Was such a beautiful first episode, it touched my heart right away. The sad thing is that I can relate to this... A death of a certain friend can break friendships and coming of age can change people. So far I really like the concept and the story so far in it a lot. A soulbound spirit attached to Jintan hoping to get her last wish for a reunion amongst friends. I really hope they all can give Menma her long awaiting wish.

I felt like tearing up watching this :'(
Apr 16, 2011 12:20 AM

Aug 2010
Great yet sad... if this keeps getting better it will probably be one of my faves!
Cant wait for next episode ^^
Apr 16, 2011 12:44 AM

Mar 2010
Had to watch it twice to fully grasp jin's emotions at the start. the ending is better than the original Zone version
Geso
-----:D
Apr 16, 2011 1:20 AM

Oct 2010
coolwolf said:
Very solid first episode. Though crying? Not so much.
Apparently this episode is just the beginning of the descent towards the abyss, so says the following article:
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/04/15/ano-hi-mita-hana-anal-anime/
taj69 said:
The name of the flower we saw that day, still eludes us...
That's what confused me in the beginning but it may have to do with how everyone met Meiko and though of her as.
TanukiBoi said:
Was such a beautiful first episode, it touched my heart right away. The sad thing is that I can relate to this...
Yeah same here, all you got to do is Google Dawson and Anastasia, this anime reminds me of all that. Makes it harder to go through but there is a interesting motto in all this "What does not kill you makes you stronger." I will go with that.
dxb_blackwolf said:

In that pose, I think she looks like Rei from HOTD.
Yeah I agree she does look like her a little.
neckgripper said:
Yumekichi11 said:

About Anjo Naruko, my #3 favorite character right after Jinta and who could resist such a girl when she as such a pose in the following,

She wasn't on her period, that reddish cotton was to wipe off nail polish. I mean what girl leaves her period juice out on her table like that. Pretty disgusting don't you think?
Who knows if it was my fatigue or not but these looked like tampons. Of course they could be Kleenexes portable boxes but my first impression is what this was.
sugarscream said:
Yumekichi11 said:
What? Dude, no... That is not what pads or tampons look like.
Dude ok that's fine but my first impression was that they were. Guess they could be those special wipes with something to remove nail polish. Now that would make more sense, provided they sell wipes like that.
Yumekichi11Apr 16, 2011 1:29 AM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Apr 16, 2011 1:35 AM

Apr 2009
So this is an anime about a ghost girl that tries to reunite her friends? Lol wut?
Apr 16, 2011 3:26 AM
Mar 2011
OShoranO said:
So this is an anime about a ghost girl that tries to reunite her friends? Lol wut?

The premise sounds stupid, but consider it like Welcome to the NHK... It will surprise you and hit close to home if you've ever had child hood friends.
Apr 16, 2011 4:28 AM

Apr 2010
Wow... I stepped into this boat not really knowing what or from who this was coming from, just some random synopsis of some childhood friends slice of life story... First impressions were Sadness, Cuteness, Confusion, Anger, Indecisiveness, and TONS of Nostalgia.. I guess the nostalgia comes from a combination of events that someone can relate in life, in example the child hood friends that you remember and that drastically change with the pass of time; and the feeling of nostalgia that is found deep within a story that just feels right. What i mean is that right after i finished the episode and decided that this anime was going to be a very enjoyable ride, i found out that the director and screenwriter who have contributed in the past to some other amazing animes are also involved in this one. Examples are Honey and Clover (Fav Slice of Life), Toradora!, Fractale, Gosick, etc etc. The music was also pretty good and like many good animes do to my persona.. it left me with desires of more. Hanasuka is still my number 1 slice of life this season but with this amazing combination of staff and anime.. i dont know for how long it will stay there.
Apr 16, 2011 4:33 AM

Jul 2007
Wow. Sad, but also a VERY good start to the series. I didn't have very high expectations, but I'm glad I checked it out. Looking forward to it!
<---made of awesome!
Apr 16, 2011 4:40 AM

Aug 2009
Menma is pretty annoying. If not for her being dead, I probably wouldn't be able to tolerate it.

Great first episode. Makes you wonder how they will patch up this complicated relationship of childhood friends.
Apr 16, 2011 5:16 AM

Apr 2011
Wow. There's been a lot of new anime's lately, but this is the first one that really impacted me on an emotional level. The animation is great, story is great, good characters, I'm really looking forward to the next episodes. This one has potential!
Apr 16, 2011 5:37 AM
Jan 2010
Yukari_Hiwada said:
Menma is pretty annoying. If not for her being dead, I probably wouldn't be able to tolerate it.

I wouldn't expect anything else from someone with a azusa avatar.
Apr 16, 2011 5:45 AM

Jan 2011
Tear jerking.. Especially during the ED.
Apr 16, 2011 5:47 AM

Oct 2010
OShoranO said:
No you go it wrong, I think she is doing it because that's what will make her cross over. The fact she is a airhead goes towards her not realizing the cross over but I hope it happens anyways.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Apr 16, 2011 6:12 AM

Apr 2009
It's been awhile since a regular season anime's delivered so much emotion, let alone in the first episode. It was really well executed, careful construction of flashbacks, key moments, showing us all of the other friends since that childhood time. This easily blows Hanasaku out of the park in terms of emotion and drama for now. Looks like the competition for the best Slice of Life or the best series might be duked out between these two shows.
Apr 16, 2011 6:55 AM

Feb 2011
I got carried away with a little teardrop in my eye when Menma said she knew that she was dead. They know how to poke at my sentimental spots.

It's only the 1st episode so far, but I have already a lot of faith in this show.
Apr 16, 2011 7:01 AM

Aug 2009
WOW!!!! THIS SHOW IS GONNA BE GOOD!!!

ITS SUCH A GOOD PLOT!!!!!

I cant wait for the next episode! (which will be a forever wait >_>)

I wonder where she could have gone! D;
Yukari_Hiwada said:

True that! She was really annoying, I was waiting for Jinta to just yell at her or push her..or something..
In the first seconds of the show, I thought she was that guys little sister or something, or one of his childhood friends that lives with him now (for predictable reasons), but I never expected the story line to be that she died!

This show has such a nice plot and I look forward to these next couple of weeks! :3
desolatoApr 17, 2011 6:42 AM
Apr 16, 2011 7:07 AM
Mar 2011
This really blew me away. I can tell this will probably be a very sweet story that will have its ups and downs, but I am expecting a happy ending that leaves many of us in tears.
Apr 16, 2011 7:20 AM

Mar 2008
Fking Secret Base makes me all emotional everytime DX
Apr 16, 2011 8:02 AM
Apr 16, 2011 8:25 AM

Jul 2010
Well that was quite a splendid start for what could easily be the slice-of-life of the season (well, either this or Hanasaku Iroha). Not quite tear jerking, but very melancholic for sure. I was feeling some Clannad undertones here and there, what with the protagonist trying to mend his past and make peace with himself and all--but I don't see this one being as much of an emotional rollercoaster as it seems that, for the time being, Jinta's at rock bottom and it's a one way trip up.

One small downside, though, was that Menma was just a bit annoying. Oh well, I suppose she passes for the little sister type, and, at the very least, she's much better than a certain silver-haired lookalike. And I thought her semi-corporeal condition was pretty cool, how she could physically interact with everything, but others can't see or hear her. Really quite sad to be in her position. I'm thinking the ending's gonna be a tear jerking happy ending with her disappearing as Jinta fulfills her wish.

I now have high expectations for this series. It's got some great characters, animation and music--all the makings of a great show. Let's just wait and see if they can put it all together to make a stellar one.
Apr 16, 2011 10:13 AM

May 2009
Deftly executed and very impressive first episode. Don't think I teared up so much for a first episode since Cross Game. And I thought Hanasaku Iroha was good...

Plenty of good shows so far. If the quality remains high, this may turn out to be a pretty good season for anime.
Apr 16, 2011 10:27 AM

Apr 2010
Dang I cried at the part when she saw her family. Great episode.
Apr 16, 2011 10:33 AM
Apr 2011
KazukiUchiha said:
Dang I cried at the part when she saw her family. Great episode.

I was in tears from that point on through the ED, myself xD
Apr 16, 2011 10:46 AM

Jan 2010
The depth and intensity of the characters, unfolding of the plot, and just overall complete control of the atmosphere is just amazing... I really have high hopes on this one, simply because of how well it presents itself here in episode one. Really amazing... This is probably going to be #1, followed by C
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 23, 2011

1237 by Grimenio »»
May 15, 9:47 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2011

388 by Grimenio »»
May 14, 9:25 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 9, 2011

328 by Grimenio »»
May 8, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 2, 2011

423 by Grimenio »»
May 8, 5:09 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 19, 2011

218 by Grimenio »»
May 4, 2:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.